The Jubilee of 1350 is celebrated in Rome, bringing thousands of pilgrims to be blessed by the pope and granted relief of purgatory. The central organization of these pilgrims are conducted at the Basilica of Saint John Latern and the Basilica of Saint Paul Outside the Walls. This event is greatly supported by both Petrarch and Bridget of Sweden.
The Black Death continues to sweep through Europe, spreading across all of Sweden, Denmark, parts of Scotland, and all of Germany except Thuringia. It also spreads across the Baltic Sea, affecting all cities from Danzig to Riga, and surrounding coastal regions of Poland. By the end of the year, it breaks out in Reykavik and kills thousands of Icelanders. Cumulatively, the plague has killed tens of millions of people across the western world so far, further emphasizing the "Cult of Death".
A mass procession to Rome to seek support from the Holy Father, be it worldly or heavenly, begins to march out of Milan. Though it begins as a mob of peasants, priests begin to join the procession. As they march through Italy, they pick up followers from cities they pass. As priests and learned men join this procession from each town, those who could have otherwise helped the sick and dying are leaving in droves to seek spiritual guidance from the Pope.
The Black Death has caused the global population of the world to go down, as deaths per day have exceeded those of births, even including the hemispheres completely unaffected by the plague. This has exacerbated the cooling temperatures of the "Little Ice Age", as a result of such a drastic loss of body heat. The winter of 1350 extends from September until March, causing prices of food to rise dramatically.
This affects of temperature greatly strains Iceland's control over Greenland, as much of the Nordic population of the island begins to dwindle, and suffer from frequent attacks of the Thule natives. The Mississippi culture goes into sharp decline at this point as well, as most of the urban settlements of their mound-based culture are abandoned around this time.
Duke Rudolph of Lorraine dies of the plague, and his son John assumes the title of Duke to replace him.
The Frisian lands occupied by Lothraingia are integrated into Hollandic rule.
Ibn Battuta leaves Fez to cross into Gibralter, and visit the Empire of Hispania. He visits the cities of Malaga and Grenada, admiring the works of art and architecture left behind by the older Caliphate of Cordoba from the days of Al-Andalus. Afterward, he leaves back for Morocco and circuits around the cities of Marrakesh and Tangier, before returning to Fez.
John Maunderville travels along the Baltic coast to visit the settlements of the Teutonic knights, admiring all the work they do in crusading against the barbaric heathens. He tells them about the wonderful news he found in the far east, about all the Christian empires in central Asia and the churches that exist in India and China. After staying for a time in the Livonia lands, he continues along the Baltic coast to settle in Danzig.
The Marathi scholar Namdev founds the Varkari sect of Hinduism in Pandharpur, in the Sultanate of Hindustan.
Juan Ruiz publishes a book of Spanish Romantic poetry, The Book of Good Love, dedicated to Emperor Peter I of Hispania.
As a single peasant family in Germany are afflicted by the plague and can no longer provide for their children, a baby is anonymously deposited at the doorstep of the Burgermeister of Lubeck. The baby is wrapped in a crimson cloak, with no identifiable features except a single pendant that reads "Claus", which is a Germanic colloquial form of Nicholas.
- Iceland: The population grows to 29,940. The entire military is ordered to Greenland to try to kill every single Inuit they come into contact with. The Duchy of Greenland is given to Arnar Róbertsson son of Róbert Arnarsson. The order of Nordic Piety is given to a priest in Dauðsmansbær. The Cardinals of Iceland meet to discuss the plague and other matters in the world, Greenlanders are converted to Catholicism, the Cardinals blame Islam for the plague since they took the true fate from the Middle East and the Pope is invited to send Cardinals to Iceland to protect them from the plague in a small Village of Manors in Greenland named “The Little Vatican” (Papal Response Needed). Domestic travel is banned.
- Nyazwe: The census conducted by the Ministry of Land delivers its report to the Hamadzese. The census reveals that the population for Nyazwe as of 1340 was 3,400,308 citizens, with 23,320 horses, and 300,000 head of cattle and other livestock. Of the existing population, at least 30 percent of the citizenry had been born or migrated to the lands south of the Limpopo River, or were members of the Nguni were decided to stay and integrate into the new state of affairs. Nyazwe incursions into the lands of the Khoisan (OTL Namibia) continue, with many of the territories in the east obtained through force of arms and the destruction of San homesteads and killing of livestock. Thousands of San people flee the land for areas deeper into the west, hoping that they can escape from the blade and horses of the Shona armies invading their homeland. Many thousands of Khoisan women are dragged off as captives by the victorious Shona warriors, who quickly bed them and father offspring with their new wives. As is tradition, many of the lands in the west are handed over to the warriors as a form of gratitude, giving them a stake in the lands that they conquered, and working to ensure their security from the San warriors, who though disorganized, are seeking to retake their homes. Despite their best efforts, the armies of Nyazwe are simply too overpowering, boasting large numbers the San cannot match in battle. Elsewhere, the development of the trade links with the outside world continue, with trade to Persia, India, and Arabia continue, bringing in various goods such as exotic fruits, cotton, silks, and artwork, in exchange for gold, copper, coal, and sorghum crops. These trade serve to ensure the continued growth of Nyazwe's domestic economy, especially with the development of roads and mines throughout the country, and the expansion of the urban population of the country. Indeed, the institutions of authority as wielded by the Hamadzese and personified through the Zvakane, are established in various districts throughout Nyazwe. Having fine-tuned the district government structure left by his father, Akashinga ensures that all of the districts of the realm are fully staffed by men of letters and numbers, with a decent grasp of coordinating men and material. Unlike many sections of the interior in the far north, the developments in terms of administration, monetization of the economy, and adoption of the Faraic philosophies, are fully imported into the south and the new territories of the country, where the citizens there seek to start anew in the image of the state they now belong to. While it can be said that those within the core territories of Nyazwe are more traditional in their livelihoods and practices, those Shona migrating to new parts of the country have fully adopted the edicts of the state into their lives, and view it as their obligation to bring the light of civilization advocated by their ruler and his subordinates, to the new lands conquered by their people. Migration is by and large, centrally-managed by the state, which takes the time to survey the new lands and organize the movement of people to these areas, with a full compliment of mutauri to enforce Faraic doctrines, and muperekedzi to tutor the young in numbers and letters.
- Papal States: Pope Clement V works in the organization of the Jubilee of 1350. A division of the Papal Army is created to be responsible for providing security and to prevent crimes in Rome. Large numbers of pilgrims arrive in the city for the Jubilee. Elena Cimorelli is one of these people, she is a fourteen years old young girl from Ostia and is visiting Rome with her widowed mother, her older brother and her sister-in-law. Her parents were pious and devout. The pope gives his blessings to all those visiting the city. The processions in honor to the Divine Mercy continues this year and the crownd following it is large than last year due to the great number of pilgrims that arrived in the city. The phrase "Holy God, Holy Mighty One, Holy Immortal One, have mercy on us and on the whole world" turned into a popular prayer. After each procession the pope falls to his knees in front of the Most Blessed Sacrament begging God for the end of the Plague. After attending one of these processions during her stay in Rome, Elena Cimorelli is very impressed by the idea of the Christ's Infinity Mercy and the works of charity done by the Order of Divine Mercy. She begins to develop the idea of joining the order and starts to pray asking for Gods guidance. Clement continues to do fast and to wear clothes of a Benedictine monk as penitence for the sins of the Church. His serval cat, Gertrude, give him some comfort during this time of calamity. Across the Papal States, the religious orders and physicians continue to help the sick in the way that they can. To the procession that is coming to Rome from Milan, Clement give his blessings to these people and says that God and the pope will be very happy if they go helping those in need across Italy [MOD response needed, please].
- Sweden-Norway: King Magnus writes a letter to the Diocese of Linköping in Spring, decreeing that in light of the plague which has ravaged all of Norway and Sweden this year, the people must attend church, and fast on Fridays. A man named Tidericus is captured in Gotland, accused of poisoning the wells there, and spreading the plague on order of Jews, he is burned at the stake in July. As this story spreads through the country, many people are accused of being "Jews", and are blamed for the plague and executed. Scenes of death are seen across both countries, as entire villages are decimated with bodies piling up. Some jarls, anxious about this wave of death, move and settle their entire courts and homes farther up north, to the sparsely populated Lappland and Västerbotten. Prince Eric, heir to the throne of both countries, dies in the winter at Tre Kronor castle from the plague. At the time of his death, a large amount of servants and nobles at the castle are already infected from the disease, the King therefore orders that they must be quarantined. Prince Haakon therefore becomes heir to the throne. The King also writes to the Pope and Bridget, asking him what can be done to stop the plague, he speculates that it is the cause of God's wrath at the sinners, and only repentance will keep it at bay.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: A bazaar is constructed in the Nizamuddin Area and Nizamuddin continues to expand. Being open to all faiths, the non-Muslims also visit the Sufi shrines and the Sufi shrines have become beacons of communal harmony in the areas where they are situated. The Sufis appeal to the non-Muslims as they promote love, openness and tolerance. The construction of roads, trade routes and serais continues. The Waqf institutions continue opening and maintaining Bimaristans (Hospitals), pharmacies and small schools of religious education for Muslims handled by the Chishtiyya Sufis. The Waqf institutions are supported by the Zakat part of the treasury. The Diwan-i-Amir-Kohi continues propagating better farming and irrigation practices. The many foreign scholars in the Madrassas, the nobles and most importantly his three eldest sons help him come up with a concrete plan for some major reforms to ensure stability in the Empire and peaceful succession from Emperor to Emperor. The first reforms come to the Chalisa (the group of 40 nobles), which is responsible for running the Sultanate. The Chalisa had in reality been a group of fewer than 25 nobles. 40 posts are created for the Chalisa and are supposed to be occupied at all times. 15 posts are reserved for the Governors of the provinces (called Nazim; meaning deputy). Nine posts are reserved for the Shiqdars (district heads) of the districts of Delhi, Uch, Samana, Bhakkar, Ajodhan, Hansi, Lahore, Multan and Dipalpur (These districts are under the direct control of the Sultan, the revenue is collected by his officers). The Shiqdar of Delhi is also the head of the Delhi civic authority. One of the posts is hereditary, reserved for the Belur Sultan of the Hoysala dynasty. Then there are posts for the Sultan, the Wazir, the Ariz-i-Mamalik (responsible for recruitment and payment of salaries), the Sar-i-Jalandar (Head of the Sultan’s bodyguards), the Sadar-i-Sadur (responsible for Waqf institutions and all religious institutions, scholars and men of piety), Dabir-i-Mamalik (proto-foreign minister), Qazi-i-Mamalik (Head of Judicial Department), Barid-i-Mamalik (Head of Intelligence), Head of the Diwan-i-Amir-kohi (Agriculture department), the nominee to the throne, the head of the army, and the rest four posts are reserved for influential/important men of religion, nobles and merchants to be nominated by the Sultan. This just leads to an expansion of the Chalisa and only some powerless nobles are dropped from the group. A list of rules is drafted by the Chalisa for the functioning of the institution. The institution is upheld as the foremost body for the administration of the Sultanate. A specified succession law is made, the Sultan must nominate a successor upon acceding the throne and if the Sultan dies without nominating a successor, the Chalisa shall elect the successor from among the Sultan’s sons or the Sultan’s brothers (if the Sultan doesn't have any living sons) or the Sultan’s nephews (if the Sultan doesn’t have any living brothers) or from among themselves (if the above criteria are not met). The Sultan nominates the members of the Chalisa and they get to work on the other planned reforms.
- Duumvirate of Cilicia: The people are ready to liberate the capital and occupied them so after a while the crusaders reconquest the whole territories and being liberate many people who were 'Christians' the Muslims are getting kicked off by the Cilicians, sent by 12,000 men the state also they liberate the capital at the whole victory scream! the emirate of Cilicia is in decline rise to the Christians Cilicia on southern Anatolia! After a while they celebrate among of food festival and celebrate the victory a Christian knight who liberates the capital is elected as the king and overall run the territorial by happiness of freedom.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Harba Lorifa": After years of Rebellion, Frisian peasantry, merchants and nobility finally end their resistance. So many lower nobility and merchants from Holland decide to take part in the Government of Frisia, as they seek greatness in the Frisians lands - a Frisia which is to be centrally run by feudal law instead of the laws of force and banditry, where the people actually get represented. Where the law is fair and not biased and most of all available for all, the Rich and the poor one justice under God. Now the Duchy of Frisia being fully part of Lotharingia, and the Emperor declaring it once more fully Roman land. So the Empire has been expanded, an Empire who's by the Black Death. This plague killing great numbers of the empire, this causing a great labour shortage. As the peasantry is dying in great numbers, already around ten to 20 percent peasant dying. While the nobles die a smaller proportion, this does not mean they are spared at all. The only reason for nobility not dying in as great proportions is due to the fact they have money to afford better hygiene and often live more remote from the densely inhabited cities. Cities and town centres being places where the plague prevails, as there local trade and animals are brought to. This is to exchange goods and earn money, often in bigger cities that means having trade from ships and warehouses. These having quite often rats, and other Rodents such as Squirrels. Some who believe in that The rodents are not a problem but are instead punishment for Human sin, being the Saint Columbanus Followers. Their movement, although small, is popular in the Wadden islands, where the Black Death is slightly softer hitting. Thus they don't believe it is as bad as it is, nor that cruel. This making their Rhethoric even stronger, and they even begin to protect the Squirrels. Protecting them from the so called Rodent Crusade, which was launched by Archduke John II as revenge against squirrels for killing John I. While In Loraine, Emperor John, looking at the age and record of little John. As the Emperor could clearly see that Little John did not have any remorse when seeing the body of his Father, this fact terrifying. As a leader without remorse could easily turn into a merciless killer, who does not care about the ideals of Christ. So Emperor John Institutes a Regency in Lorainne under Caroline of Brabant who's 22 years old, and a Daughter John I but due to fact that she is a women she could not inherit the Archduchy. While in Aachen the emperor decides to do an action known to be unpopular, that being resurrecting the Praetorian guard. As the emperor wants to ensure his own safety, this guard Recruiting only from the peasantry. Even if controversial the emperor promises that the Praetorian guard will not exceed 1,000 soldiers ever in membership and that it will currently only be 200 members. John also tells them that nations from who the citizens are will receive a small monetary compensation, and that these soldiers will only be used inside the empire. That outside the empire, and for campaigns together with their nations he will allow the Nobility to be the Primary protection of himself.
- Swiss Confederacy: As diplomats report a lessening of the Black Death in the Italian peninsula, the Central Council sends out some mercenaries and physicians to the Papal States via the Canton of Uri to help them recover from the horrible damage inflicted by the disease. (Papal response) The rest of the Swiss borders remain closed, however, and physicians and the religious orders within the Confederacy work hard to aid those afflicted by the plague. Bishop of Chur and Cardinal Ulrich V von Lenzburg publicly praises the labours of the religious orders, particularly the Order of Divine Mercy, against the plague. The long winter of 1350 forces further use of food stockpiling, and the Central Council decides to send an envoy to the Confederacy's trade allies the Republic of Milan, offering to send physicians and nuns to Milan in exchange for crops and other foodstuffs from Milan. (Milan response) The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy continues to guard the mountain passes on the borders of the nation, and several cities such as Zürich keep their city gates shut. With the joining of the new Canton of Aargau, mercenaries are also sent to guard Aargau's borders and some physicians travel there as well. The Canton of Aargau is also given a seat on the Central Council, represented by an elected burgomaster rather than a hereditary Count, expanding the Council's size to sixteen.
- Duchy of Eiru: As a particularly bad winter leads to crop failures in the aftermath of the plague outbreaks which are still simmering central authority begins to collapse and local chiefs begin to assert control with firm control only remaining around the Pale.
- Jarldom of Vinland: The Beothukian offensive begins again with renewed fervor and might. The jarl herself leading the royal cavalry which boosts their morale greatly. (ALGO NEEDED)
- Tian China: The efforts to fight the plague continue throughout this year, with the emperor continuing to fervently push for any measure necessary to fight the plague, continuing to order the slaughter of the infected and the mass burnings of plague victims bodies, in addition to the slaughter of those animals deemed unclean, which has by this point proven to be a somewhat effective strategy against the disease, and thus one which is pushed in many places (this is of course because of the fact that several of these animals coincidental carry the fleas which spread the disease, but several types of animals which don’t contribute are also being slaughtered and several are missed, since the current pattern of targets is based more on superstition than anything else, and thus nobody knows exactly which of these animals are actully spreading it or if any of them are, and this strategy is mostly continued because of its success due to ridding infected areas of several vectors to the disease). The famine only ends up growing worse as a result of the severe winter this year, but the mass deaths that result from this have the effect of beginning to slow the spread of the plague even further, as the dead victims can not easily spread the disease since there bodies are burned, and the current mesures in place also help to slow it. However, not wanting to see the famine continue to worsen due to the severe effects on manpower and productivity it has caused so far and the fear of worse winters in the future, massive amounts of food from elsewhere in the empire continue to be imported into the region in an effort to combat the plague, and the local officials continue doing there best to get every able bodied person, man and woman, who is not infected with the plague back into the fields for the next harvest, in the hopes of providing enough of a boost in food production for these areas next year to alleviate the affects of the crop failures and shortages caused by the severe winters and plague. In affect, these areas are ordered to temporarily return to a form of sustenance farming, as every hand is needed to prevent the famine getting worse, and even the nobility and officials who would normally be exempt from this kind of manual labor are forced to take to the fields for at least part of the year to make more food if they don’t serve a vital role in administering the areas affected currently and directing their quarantine. Meanwhile, on the other side of China, the crown prince finally arrives in Chinese Manchuria, being enlisted in the garrison of the imperial army there as a common soldier despite his rank, in the hopes of forcing him to toughen up, as he begins his grabbing near the end of this year well his younger half-brother continues to be personally educated by the Emperor, a clear sign of favouratism and a privilege even the crown prince was not granted. Meanwhile, in Taiwan, the plague eventually burns itself out as it runs into rural spread out areas and runs out of people to infect. However, by the time it does so, a large portion of the local population has been wiped out by the disease, and although the Chinese settled population were affected in large amounts, the natives suffered far higher casualty rates as a result of the disease due to the lack of exposure to the disease previously and their lack of exposure to mainland diseases in general before this, even depopulating some parts of the island, especially in our heavily urbanized (for the area) vassal kingdoms. In an effort to take advantage of this temporary demographic advantage and further cement imperial control in the area, large amounts of setters from regions specifically chosen because they were far away from the plague effected areas begin being brought to the island in much greater numbers than before, begging to settle in huge amounts in those areas which were depopulated by the plague or had lower populations, with especially large concentrations in the cities and on the coastlines, which begin to spread out into more rural areas by the end of the year, even pushing the borders with the neighboring kingdoms slightly as empty land is claimed despite the border.
- Teutonic Order: Glory to the Order, Our troops with the Bohemians have defeated and pushed back the Novogorod army out of our land at the Battle of Dorpat and because of this we will launch a Counter-Offensive to break the siege at Pskov and take the city.We will use 35,000 troops to launch an assault on Novgorod positions and defenses in Pskov (Algo Needed). These troops will be equipped with Bohemian Hand cannons to give us an edge in battle. The Grand-Master is fascinated by the arrival of John Maunderville and is pleased of the tales of Christianity spreading to lands in the east. But bad news has arrived as well with the Black Plague infecting everything from Malbouk to Riga.The Grand-Master and most of the government has evacuated Malbouk to Reval. The Cities of Koningsberg, Memel, and Riga are put under Quarantine and to deal with the bodies we dig holes to dump them in and bury while giving them a proper Catholic ceremony. The Grand-Master advises people who have not been infected by the Plague to move to Livonia and Estonia for the time being.in other news the first Artushoft is made. Lidizbark Castle is built in the County of Prussia. Schwetz Castle is also built in Elblag. More people from German lands escaping the plague become farmers in the County of Memel and the County of Courland raising crop production and lowing the price. It has seem that the Winter will last longer but the Winter Shelters we built in the past years help poor people find somewhere warm.
- Poland-Bohemia: With the recent heavy casualties from both battle and the plague Polish forces work more closely with Algirdas's Lituhanians. Conrad having become close friends and companions with the Lithuanian duke offers him the hand his sister Elizabeth due to the recent passing of Duke Algirdas first wife specially given that Algridas doesn't have a male heir yet. However, he asks that Algridas take up the Catholic and slowly bring his people into the fold of the loving church, noting that the Poles, and the Catholic church have always proven to back Lithuanian interests. He also asks Duke Algirdas to allow for one more year of rest so that the coalition forces can prepare and decides if it would be best to push deeper into Novogrod, or to push south and neutralize the possibilities of a Rus' offensive from the Galicia or Smolesk (Mod Response, Please) Conrad also grants Algirdas influence over the management of the Polish forces to allow for better cooperation. More siege weapons are brought in now from Warsawa and 5,000 reserves there are also brought in to replenish th ranks while 10,000 soldiers remain defending the Southern Border from Lublin. The bodies of the deceased in Bohemia, and Poland are burned to prevent spreading. Falling in line with Papal States The crown issues a ban on the persecution of Jews, though this may also be because of the growing importance of the Jewish community the financing of the Polish crown as the Bohemian silver starts to devalue due to the large scale distribution of the Groschen over the last few decades due to conflict. To reinforce The crown's finances silver mines in Polish territory are opened up near Krakow (OTL) and the proceeds made from the sales of lands formerly belonging to Piast family are managed strictly for the war effort and for combating the plague. The order of Divine Mercy's clean habits show some benefit as the death toll east of the Vistula is less then that in the densely populated Western parts. Algirdas is baptized as Duke Stanislovas I Olgeird with Conrad III as his god father, after a great mass is held in Warsawa after the Wedding to once more strenghten the bounds that exist between the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and the Kingdom of Poland-Bohemia.
- Algirdas agrees to be baptized in Catholocism and to marry Elizabeth of Krakow.
- Pole Dip: Conrad requests to purchase several cannons from his family in Padania so as to improve add to the ever growing arsenal of the Polish crown.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The slave trade continues to be bolstered by the capture of Muslim Somalis and Shewa from the newly conquered lands. The slaves are brought to the great slave pens outside Barari and sold at auction to Middle Eastern, Arab and Indian slave traders. While disdainful, the slave pens make up for some of the lost trade revenue. The lands of the captured slaves are awarded to the Chewa warrior caste. Settlement of the northern Horn and Shewa by the Chewa and their families continues. In order to provide strong points to assert Ethiopian control, the Chewa construct several forts in the conquered areas where the Chewa will gather in the event of war where they can hide their families. Due to the Chewa living in land granted by them to the Emperor, their loyalty is directly to the throne. The Ethiopian infrastructure network is maintained, now extending into nearby allied and vassal kingdoms. The town of Weri'kama Beri, however, built specifically to boost westward trade, begins to falter and decline as trade with the West is now nearly nonexistent.
The Black Death begins to slow down across Western and Central Europe, as well as in the Far East. It continues to spread far, however. Outbreaks sweep through Hungary, Poland, and breaks out across Novgorod and Georgia. Minor outbreaks also occur in Ethiopia and Hindustan. The plague disappears from Iceland, reducing their population to 25,000.
Ibn Battuta travels south from Fez, in search of the mysterious lands of the Mali Empire. He spends the winter this year in the city of Sijilimasa. John Maunderville travels his way across northern Germany, staying in the Free City of Lubeck and other major cities of the Hanseatic League.
In Southeast Asia, the Sultanate of Brunei takes over most of the island of Borneo, becoming a great regional power in its own right. They begin supporting Islamic puppet states across Indonesia and Mindanao.
The Kingdom of Sukhotai is deposed, and Thailand comes under the control of the Kingdom of Ayutthia, while the Khmer Empire fades from history. King Ramathibodi supports the spread of Theravada Buddhism across Southeast Asia.
In Africa, new local powers appear as contenders for control over the areas of Bantu migrations. The main new states are the Kingdom of the Kongo and the Kingdom of Buganda.
The Ottoman Sultanate and the Byzantine Empire comes directly into fierce combat at this point. The Ottomans lead a coalition of Turkic beyliks and begin to carve up Byzantium's remaining Asiatic territories. They begin to send their military across the Dardanelles to land in Europe for the first time in their history.
In Augsburg, Abbess Margaret of Ebner establishes a mystical order of nuns known as the Friends of God.
After consumating their marriage, Elizabeth of Krakow and Duke Stanislovas I Olgeird has their first son, baptized as Wladyslaw Jagiello Olgierd.
After being rejected by the Burgermeister of Lubeck, the baby Claus is adopted by a common family of toy-makers. This family was distantly descended from the noble House of Kringle, who were originally the personal toy makers for the imperial royal family in the days of the Hohenstaufen Emperors. Keeping the baby's pendant and cloak a secret, the Kringle family baptizes the child as "Christopher".
- Free City of Lübeck: The putrid scent of death rolls over the Baltic with each passing wave. Bodies regularly wash up along the shores of Lübeck and the Travesmünde. The pestilence gripping Europe does not spare Lübeck or Hamburg. Though the Hansa offers loans to its members, non-aligned states are on their own. As many as 60 percent of Hamburg's population dies or will die from the Black Plague. Lübeck's advantage has always been its central position in northern Germany. Now, its position is contributing to its death rate. Still, it faces better than Denmark. With decades of Lübeck monopolies, embargoes, and now revolts, Denmark should be in a state of chaos. Lübeck rallies administrations on Fyn, Schleswig, and other parts of Jutland to declare independence from the Danish crown. The internal trading network of the Hanseatic League keeps famine from spilling into all the parts of the League, including Lübeck. Thanks to these traders, the death toll in Lübeck is prevented from rising. The salt trade out of Brunswick-Lüneburg allows northern Germany to scrape by, especially in larger cities. The transport of salt and heavy demand of the stuff means several new caravans, wagons, and stables are built. The League works desperately to move its product efficiently and quickly. In Hamburg, priests and nuns turn St. Mary's Church into a makeshift hospital. To accommodate for the demand for medical practitioners, these members of the clergy take it upon themselves to administer what medical help they know. Rudolph of Hamburg makes his name known as one of the few doctors to truly help teach the clergy members about medicine - such as it is at the time - and herbalism. He provides a new, formalized school of thought around medical instruction. Many priests who risk their lives trying to heal the sick catch the Bubonic Plague themselves. Ties with Bremen continue to grow as Hamburg shares this educational model with the city-state. By December, the weaknesses and strengths of the Hanseatic League have been revealed. The Rat convenes in Lübeck and in Hamburg. A Constitution for the Hanseatic League is drafted in December. Among many other trading provisions, it details what the Guilds can and cannot do. It also declares Bremen, Rostock, and Holstein-Kiel to be core members of an inner trading bloc and confederation within the Hanseatic League. This confederation would operate not unlike the Swiss Confederacy, with each core member being called a Meristätte - Sea State. Invitations are sent out to each proposed Meristätte. (Mod Response needed).
- A 60 percent majority of states in the Hanseatic League ratifies the constitution, including all the core members.
- Duumvirate of Cilicia: As the Christian knight he becomes king of the state and show at their blade, in excellent at the across of cair most of citizen,continue to occupied their village and agriculture in the southern Anatolia to truly help their own nobles law, they open most of priest to establish church the Armenian Catholic state of the great House of Cilicia has been headquartering in Lebanon and in Armenia to call at the Christianity for Jesus Christ, at sis they occupied the border and producing food trades as then they establish university and other village that encounter in the Middle East and, Anatolia the king establish law by December, most of people celebrate for Christmas and caroling at their chant on the Holy See of Cilicia and continue agriculture and producing food and building village on southern Anatolia also formalized many church later the people are going to invade Abbasid caliphate and continue to fight it at their holy victory.
- Mali Empire: At the end of last year, the civil war in Mali finally came to an end. Niani was placed under siege by Ayyob's forces, and Abu Bakr III was forced to flee with his wives out of the city, but he was shot by archers before he could escape. Internally, this did not severely disrupt the every-day lives of most people in the nation, as the only actual fighting that took place was largely focused on military maneuvers and political deals. Still, a lot of institutions created by Mansa Musa had been severely damaged, so Ayyob pushed forward to quickly rebuild the nation. The supply depots along the caravan trade routes were the first to be reconstructed, as Mali desperately depends on outside trade to sell their resources to the larger nations of Africa. Although all the trade Mali once had was not recovered in a single year, they did establish the caravan trade route going to Morocco first and foremost, formally ending the brief years of Malian isolation. He sent an additional 15,000 troops to occupy Waalo and integrate them back into the nation, which previously had no central government, and establish peace in preparation for reconstructing Dakar next year. Ayyob used the civil war to his political advantage as well, and executed many of the feudal lords that were allied to Abu Bakr, assuming direct control over their titles. This was most effective in Mali proper around the Niger river, where he established a bureaucracy of governors along the border to the Atlantic coastal natives. He also looked toward the expansion of new settlements as well in the same region, sending Islamic missions and settlements south of the Senegal river into the terra incognita. The secret societies of Manding culture, established late in the reign of Mansa Musa, are further promoted and propagated by Ayyob, especially across the fringes of the empire in Kanem-Bornu and Nigeria. Larger military presence is kept in Nigeria as well, knowing the Oyo supported his younger brother as Mansa, poses a possible threat in the region.
- Poland-Bohemia: Efforts by crown officials to deal with the deceased continue, with pyres continuing burn nonstop. The overall population of Western Poland declines by about 30 percent particularly around Krakow which losses 40 percent of its population. The Black Death has devastated the population of Bohemia, this leads to great strain on the finances and resources of the kingdom due to the ongoing provisioning of the war to the east. Many of the Bohemian nobles begin to show their discontent at the perceived plundering of Bohemia's wealth and manpower on Polish interests. However, for now, this leads to nothing as they remain loyal Ottokar who continues to support his nephew without a second thought. However, his second son Heinrich lets it be known that he doesn't agree with the being ruled from Krakow or worse yet Warsawa, but without the support the backing of Ottokar or his heir Wenceslaus the Bohemian nobles remain quiet for the time being. Heinrich demands to know why his father wont move against his nephew pointing out that it has been Ottokar who ruled for him since he was a boy, Ottokar, however, tells his son to show respect as Conrad is continuing the work of his father and of their father in securing the legacy of the dynasty. In private, however, the aging Ottokar begins to worry about the long term survival of the dynasty, and of the legacy of Wenceslaus II, and III. Ottokar sends a letter to his brother-in-law Stanislovas voicing these concerns and begging the Duke of Lithuania to remain a steadfast ally to his son and nephew and to the greater family, He also congratulates the Duke on his marriage, and conversion. Conrad furthermore outlines the benefits to the continued cooperation between the Lithuania and Poland though he is unsure how the union between Poland and Bohemia will fair once he is gone, or once Conrad passes as Conrad has failed to produce a male heir, and his daughter would be to young for a regency of both crowns to survive. Conrad III leads 10,000 Bohemian troops to assist his Teutonic allies in the second siege of Poskov while the bulk of the Polish-forces remain camped alongside the Lithuanian forces due to the growing tensions between the Bohemians and the Poles. A strong sense of camaraderie starts to develop between the Poles and Lithuanians serving in the coalition together. The recent conversion of Stanislovas to Catholicism and his marriage to the now Duchess Elizabeth goes along way to endearing the man to them in the absence of Conrad. Warsawa continues to become the new focal point of crown authority as the plague ravages Krakow and Southern Poland leading to Conrad moving most of his court and royal duties to Warsawa.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The current Sultan’s father, Sultan Alauddin Khilji had attempted to formalize and properly define the working of the various departments of his administration, but he had not succeeded in his efforts. Continuing with his reforms, the current Sultan formally establishes the departments and lays down rules regarding the functions of these departments. These departments are the Department of Religious Affairs (Diwan-i-Bisalat), the Department of Foreign Affairs (Diwan-i-Insha), the Department of Agriculture (Diwan-i-Amir-kohi), the Department of Intelligence, the Department of the Military (Diwan-i-Ariz), the Department of the Judiciary and the Bayt-ul-Mal (responsible for trade, commerce and finance). The departments are further strengthened. To prevent further revolts and establish control, the Sultanate adopts the Islamic policy of creating garrison towns to further trade and project control. Several garrison towns are established in Bihar and Bengal (namely Hajipur, Alipur (Banka), Ferozeabad (Rajshahi), Fatehabad (Kharagpur), Muhammadpur (Satkhira) and Sylhet). Small forts are constructed in these garrison towns. The construction of the Golconda Fort is started. The Sultanate continues with its policy of maintaining control over the Deccan using forts.
- Teutonic Order: With the second Battle of Pskov ending in failure The Grand-Master stops anymore offensives to take the city and was thinking to end the war by surrendering. But before he could do that he caught the Black Plague and died. The People are tired of the defeats of the war and want answers on why they are losing. they blame the Generakapital and the Grand-Marshals for going soft on Novgorod. one of these people is Komtur of Koningsberg Winrich von Kniprode who states that the Monastic Order is outdated and unjust. so he leads a protest with large amounts of peasants in favor for a Monarchy. He marches outside the Grand-Palace demanding a regime change and writes a list of future reforms that he wants to happen to give for the pope the list says that he wants to have the Teutonic Order semi-Independent from the church. He wants to establish a Kingdom or a Duchy. and finally he wants to become leader of the nation (Papal Response Needed). Narva Castle is built on the border with Novgorod. After some talks with Duke John II we are finally admitted to the HRE. Secret: We send a Diplomat to Novgorod to begin talks for a ceasefire in this war and come to a peace agreement that benefits both of us. (Mod Responds Needed) End of secret.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Clement V sees that some of these points are valid and reluctantly agrees. However, he asks for the return of the Teutons to the Papal States and suggests the creation of a lay chivalric order based in the rule of the Teutons to replace their militarily work in this new nation. This lay order will be semi-independent from the Church. The pontiff says that the Teuton veterans can help train the soldiers of this new order.
- Novgorod Diplomacy: With the intervention by Poland-Lithuania, Novgorod feels confident in its ability to hold the Teutonic Order off, and will continue fighting.
- Iceland: With the plague having taken only an extra 4,000 lives the country rejoices and King Ólaf II is known in Iceland and Greenland as “The Great”. The Royal Theatre is constructed in Róbertstorg with its first play being about the Greenland Civil War. A daughter is born to the King and he names her Fríða, Ólaf wishes for her to be baptized by the pope himself. A compromise is proposed by the King proposing a creation of the County of Thule and giving it to a native chief along with four seats in the Greenland Parliament and three seats in the National Parliament. (mod response needed)
- The native Thule people do not accept the proposal on the grounds that the Jarldom of Greenland gave them equal rights to the Norse, not separated
- Federation of Padinia: The Council of Padinia whilst the horrors of the Black Plague continue send messages to every Italian state interested with the proposal to join the Federation of Padinia, these states will be treated with the same respect as the current members on the condition they switch any non-republican government they have to a republic and abide by the laws of Padinia. (Mod response needed). The plague continues to eat away at the population, A new movement begins in Florence with the belief that god is nothing more than a falsity created by the Catholic church within hours of this movement beginning every single one of the 14 people who became a part of it in that short period mysteriously die of “unknown causes” a second less radical movement begins in Florence continuing to adopt more Original ideas with minor changes being made in the art and beliefs of smaller circles of people in Florence mostly based off of Roman art and beliefs outside of religion. Feudal tendencies also decline as the large loss of population makes serfdom and feudalism challenging to do successfully.
- Mod response: These republican states reject the proposal unilaterally.
- Swiss Confederacy: As the Black Plague continues to lessen in the Italian peninsula, the southern borders of the Confederacy at the Cantons of Bern, Uri and Glarus are re-opened and trade with the Republic of Milan and the other Padinian states resumes. However, the northern borders, including Aargau, remain closed and guarded by the joint military of the Confederacy. The city of Zürich reopens its gates and resumes trade with surrounding cities, though the position of the city's guild has been weakened by the plague-imposed isolation and Cardinal de Besse's corruption scandal. The religious orders in the Confederacy, including the Mercedines, Benedictines, Carmelites and the Western Church, continue to work on providing charity to those affected by the plague and the famine of 1350. The resumption of trade on the southern border ameliorates the food shortages of the previous year and aids in the nation's recovery. Some physicians along with mercenaries continue to be sent to the Papal States to aid recovery there. Aside from plague relief, the government works on re-establishing food stockpiles which were depleted in the previous year's famine.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Harba Lorifa": The Plague is finally slowing down slightly although not in big numbers, it looking like almost half of Lotharingia's population will die of the plague. With numbers in the empire depending, as the farther south you go the bigger the proportion of death increases. This is due to the fact southern more lands are closer to the Mediterranean, where the ships who carried the plague originally came from. This being due to the trade they carried with far away lands, where the entered their ships. The exact origin of the Black Plague being unknown, nor is the reason for the disease known. One of the clearest effects in the farming Lotharingia is clear, there are now less hands to work the farms. This decrease in food production increases the value, thus the cost of food. This in combination with higher taxes, makes the farmers restless. Nobles having to do this due to not having as many peasants to tax, as the nobility don't want to at once live less luxurious lives. So they together with the Merchant class look for solutions to keep their monetary flow acceptable, So they look to the origin of the plague. Driven by the merchants they look into expanding into trade, looking into buying foreign items and selling them at a profit. John of Loraine's behavior begins to get more worried by the day, as he shows clear joy in the killing and hurting of small animals. Regent Caroline hearing him speak against himself and what he claims to be angles voices, voice that come from the animals he hunts. Little John Claiming they are bullying him, that they are telling him, he's too weird and short to be a good Ruler. So Caroline decides that with this, she needs to call in a priest of the Papal States to check on his mental state. (Papal response). While in the north of the Archduchy Saint Columbanus followers begin to slowly grow in numbers, as their different view on the plague. This view seeing the survivors, thus the followers as people who have not sinned. This feeling as great relief and aid in their moral, their numbers growing mostly in Frisia. This being a result of the less enforced laws in the lands, as only recently the authority has been centralised.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Clement V sends a physician and an exorcist priest to check the mental state of John of Loraine.
- Papal States: Pope Clement V continues to make processions in honor of Christ's Divine Mercy and to beg the end of the Plague. Even with the Plague slowing down, the religious orders and physicians continue to offer help for the sick. Clement thanks the Swiss Confederacy for their help during this time of need. The pope sends his congratulations and blessings to the Duke of Lithuania for his baptism and the birth of his child. After returning to her home in Ostia, Elena Cimorelli says to her mother and brother that she wants to be a nun of Divine Mercy, but they are against it. They plan to marry her with a wealth man. Elena don’t want to marry and pray for God’s help. The Holy Father creates as cardinals Gil Álvarez Carrillo de Albornoz (Hispania) and Petrus Torkilsson (Sweden-Norway). After hearing about the Ottoman Turks crossing the Dardanelles and landing in Europe, the pope sees the necessity of the Christian nations to be prepared in case of the Muslims are able of occupy permanently an European territory in this region. Clement calls for the creation of a Holy League. This military league will be responsible to fight against any heretical and heathen that threatens Christendom. He asks all Catholic nations to send ambassadors to Rome to talk about the organization of the League.
- The federation of Padinia sends an ambassador from each of its member states led by Giovanni Visconti the warrior cardinal.
- Swiss Diplomacy: Ulrich VI von Lenzburg, head of the Restored House of Lenzburg and his uncle Ulrich V von Lenzburg, Bishop of Chur and Cardinal, travel to Rome for the discussion about the Holy League.
- Ermland Diplomacy: We send our Top Diplomat to Rome for discussions about the Holy League
- Latin Roman Diplomacy: Thomas Pichon, chancellor to Emperor William, arrives in Rome and makes an impassioned plea to the Pope, as well as the curia gathered in the city, about the need for a unified Catholic effort to prevent the spread of the heathen Muslim forces in Europe.
- Jarldom of Vinland: With another victory against the Beothuk, one new seat is allocated to the parliament totaling 11. Preparations for another battle are made with the population growing to 4,698 this year. The scholars mission is finally expected to return home in 1352 with valuable information about technology.The fishing industry sees a repaid growth with unemployment at an all time low of 0.5 percent.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: Cazonci Nalhen’s first wife continues to raise Eztli, although she gives birth to Nalhen’s second child, Xitlalnolli. Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. The Tarascan-Xalisco War expands after many of the Mixtec natives and the remaining Zapotec army unite to collectively declare an independent state after recapturing the city of Mitla, although their overarching goal is to completely diminish the existence of both the Tarascan Empire and the Xalisco confederation, re-establishing the full Toltec Empire in its vastness, not the "silly alliance". They are able to reclaim much of their territory prior to Feud'hua's campaign, based on the lack of defenses in the region as well as the occupying army having lost motivation to remain since the Tarascan-Xalisco War is one of national emergency. The State of Mixteca elects their Tlatoani, the Zapotec warrior-general Tupac, who prepares an army of 1,000 peoples to fight against Nalhen's southern territory. His more direct and expansionist policy of war, in addition to his prideful heritage stemming from the ancient Zapotec civilization, makes him a culturally significant hero, especially after the Poem of Zaachila are written and promptly expanding his role to a higher status. He is depicted in later centuries as a symbol of indigenous people's rights and pride. Due to the light defenses in place, as well as the existence of manned outposts numbering nearly 2,000 soldiers, they fail numerous attacks on the southern border, although are able to pillage and occupy various villages on the outskirts of the Tarascan border. Feud’hua’s campaign against the Xalisco Confederation continues as he faces his first major victory at the Battle of the Western Sea (OTL Puerto Vallarta), although the city remains in a stalemate as both forces consistently make the retreat on both sides to re-coordinate their attacks. By the end of the year, however, the Western Sea territory falls under Tarascan occupation, striking a major blow to the Xalisco Confederation, although seemingly not enough to cause serious discord with the Cazonci, Manauia.
- Tian China: Efforts to combat the Plague continue throughout the year, as we continue all of the previous policies mentioned in previous years. Large amounts of Han Chinese also continue to immigrate to Taiwan, fleeing the economic disruption caused by the plague and famine in the mainland and seeking new opportunities from the open land in the area. After all the years of immigration we have been encouraging for so long, the massive amount of natives killed by the plague, and the massive influx of new immigrants that have headed into the region in the last few years, the Han Chinese population now slightly outnumbers the native population in our two vassals, causing an increasing amount of panic and worry among the native population, who are now beginning to fear being overwhelmed. We also decide to re-open trade with Japan through Taiwan only, as it is one of the only confirmed plague free areas. We request the establishment of a trade agreement in order to arrange the purchase of any surplus food supplies they may have in an effort to lessen the effects of our current famine. We also invite them to trade with our vassal kingdoms, in order to further the development of the regions (Japan response needed). The Emperor also continues to educate Prince Shang, well the crown prince continues his military service in Manchuria.
- Japanese Dip: The Japanese wholeheartedly agree to this offer.
- Empire of Ethiopia: In Beri, Ethiopia's most prosperous port city, a small portion of the populace living by the docks suddenly becomes ill. While at first this raises no alarms, the amount of ill soon spreads, and healers sent to investigate confirm that this is the Plague they have heard about spreading in Egypt and India. The governor of Beri sends word of this to the Emperor, who immediately orders that Beri be locked down. The gates of the city are closed, while the docks are also closed to all incoming and outgoing vessels. With the city locked down, the Order of St. Anthony begins organizing several groups of priests to enter the city and begin administering prayers and aid. Within the city itself, the sector of the city near the docks is quarantined. Constant fires are burned, hoping that the fire will purify the air, while the Pope in Alexandria holds a mass for the Ethiopian Court to pray for the safety of those within the locked down city.
- Nyazwe: The expansion of Nyazwe into the west continues under the leadership of Akashinga, who moves to ensure the San people are neutralized as a threat to his nation in the future. Scouts from the Vakadanwa and surveyors from the Ministry of Land cooperate to locate major sources of water in the arid lands of the west, and report their finding to their superiors, who then instruct the warriors of the state where to establish camps of occupation. With knowledge of the water sources in hand, Nyazwe is able to set up numerous enclosures and locations of power, denying a supply of food and water to the San people, who are forced to flee from the land to areas where resources are more accessible to their people. Mounted Nyazwe warriors are able to run down San warriors attempting hit-and-run attacks on Nyazwe forces, and in some cases, completely ignore the San warriors and trace them back to their villages, where the Nyazwe warriors put all of the inhabitants to the sword, carrying off only the women and girls capable of being put to use in the bomas sprouting up in the new territories. The ensure the proper management of the lands taken from the San, several military garrisons are established in the far west where Nyazwe has established itself. The settlements of Katima Mulilo (along the Zambezi River), Maun, Gantsi, and Nzou Inogara (OTL Gobabis), are founded as physical markers of Nyazwe dominance in the region. Thousands of citizens from the state are relocated to the various sites in the arid lands of the west, though they are able to make use of the seasonal rains of the land to cultivate sorghum crops in the area. The advantageous location fo Katima Mulilo along the Zambezi River allows it to develop rapidly, with approximately two to 3,000 migrants setting up homes in the area, with most of these individuals hailing from the neighboring city of Bambusi, which has become one of several gateways into the newly-established district of Kumadokero, which comprises virtually all of the former lands of the former Khoisan territories. The region, while arid, benefits from several protected centers of habitation, where rainfall or underground water supplies are able to provide for the basic needs of the new migrants from Nyazwe's core territories. Of particular note are the seasonal overflows of the lands surrounding Maun in the Makgadikgadi Pan, which provides plenty of rainfall throughout the year to sustain a substantial growing season for the grains brought in from the east, as well as enough grazing area to feed several thousand head of cattle. At the extreme end of Nyazwe's expansion into the region, Nzou Inogara is set up as the "point of the spear" for all military operations planned farther west. Several guruva of cavalry are based out of the settlement, and operate in the surrounding lands to deal with any potential San threats to Nyazwe's conquest of the region. In the south, migrants from the districts north of the Orange River have begun moving south of the riverbank, establishing farms in the area in the rest of the tablelands claimed for them by the warriors of the country. Ibwe Rekona (OTL Vioolsdrif) is established as a strategic center of power, allowing the Shona to control movement north and south of the river, and preventing the San or Nguni from escaping their forces. Development of the districts in the country continues with the oversight of the central government in Lusvingo, whose move to export the bureaucratic system from the various northern and some southern districts throughout the state, have helped to establish a springboard from which the migrants have been able to reasonably count on protection and economic support from the core areas of Nyazwe.
- Latin Empire of Romania: For the first year since the Plague began to strike, death rates have begun to substantially slow down. Emperor William's eldest son, Charles, dies at the age of 14 this year, however, succumbing to the Black Death. The imperial family mourns the loss of the heir to the throne, and many in the nation also mourn the loss of a young man who was poised to become their next Emperor. That being said, the succession is secure as William has a total of two other sons and a young daughter. Culturally, the plague has marked a shift farther away from the Orthodox faith in afflicted areas, particularly those where the majority Catholic population (as in Athens and Achaea) have ostracized some leading Orthodox members of towns. The conflict between the Ottomans and the Byzantines is watched from afar, although defense in Caria are redoubled as Byzantine Anatolia falls to the Turkish Muslim threat. The Emperor's chancellor, a man known as Thomas Pichon, is dispatched across Europe to curry support for the Latin Empire among royal families. Notably, Pichon begins by traveling to Venice, and then across to Padinia. After word reaches Pichon of the Pope's call for a Holy League, he travels to Rome as the head of the Latin Roman delegation. The Kingdom of Thessalonica continues to be further integrated into the economy of Latin Romania, as its ports begin to see an uptick in activity as the plague starts to subside.
- Japanese Empire: The Japanese starved of trade and looking for ways to resume notice that their neighbor across the sea has remained unaffected just as they are and some of the merchant groups still able to risk the expedition send a fleet of trade ships nearly 50 in number to stop at multiple major Korean ports. The Resumption of trade seems to be met with Fanfare as it seems from an outsider looking in, the Koreans have been just as clearly starved on trade as the Japanese have been. This brings a great exchange of sorts as previous trade relationships are resumed and great profit is made on both sides as the trade fleet departs back to the home islands, noticeably devoid of the plague which has ravaged much of the Chinese and Manchu areas. The allowance of further trade with China using Taiwanese vassal kingdoms effectively as a middleman sees yet another increase in trade income as trade albeit obviously in smaller amounts begins to flow once again. Japanese explorers fully intent on discovering new lands consult a map which had been purchased before the plague hit, and shelved for later have manged to purchase this map from a local trade groups leader in Fukuoka. The explorers and their ships consisting of three of the class of Japan's largest trade ship, a former military ship converted for trade and long voyages have had a wanton voyage of absolute insanity at they chart the South China sea with maps in Japanese cartography previously only showing the coastal regions. In this quest they have happened upon their own kinsmen. Traders turned pirates in the South China sea. While generally "all in a good days work" for the pirates the arrival of their kinsmen from Fukuoka prompts the Pirates to throw their support behind the voyage giving them safe passage and access to their isolated supply stores in unknown locations. This allows the small exploration fleet to expand its reach well out of what Japanese sailors currently know. The first discovery are the lands of Viet ostensibly known as another Chinese tributary. Farther south a mixed Champa and Viet kingdom is added to the list of new discoveries. Farther south they run into the various nations in Malacca making light contact with the Majapahit and Brunei as well as an unknown nation guarding the Straits of Malacca which notably prevents their passage. With the loss of one of their ships the exploratory fleet returns to Japan, battered, starving, but full of a wealth of knowledge and even some trade goods from exotic lands. These men are hailed as legends and visionaries and the sale of this knowledge promptly allows them to start their own small trade company which now looks to the south to handle new trade opportunities. The nations home front begins to stabilize a bit this year as the increase in trade with Korea finally ends some of the issues of unemployment specifically of many of the merchant marine sailors. The full transition to a minted currency continues as the silver mines production is increased and more Gold Bullion fills the coffers of the Emperor who transfers much of this to the Mint in order to allow the continuation of this project. Katsumotos son Yoshishege reaching the age of 17 and having completed his extended studies into the prospects of Imperial administration and management is noted to have steered the City of Nagoya through the recent moderate civil crisis is awarded the position of one of the chief administrators of the Empire putting him in charge of not only overseeing the Imperial mint project to give Japan once again a serious contending currency, but also the further development of the reformed land survey in which ideas have been toyed with to help increase efficiency and more accurately account for and tax. As the Heir apparent he is welcomed warmly by many of the nobility except the most warlike. These warlike nobles seem bent on breaking Japans association with both the weakened Chinese and the Koreans seeing them nothing more as possible avenues for conquest. These men were emboldened by Japans recent conquest of Manchuria but remain in the clear minority in factions now vying for the Heir apparent's attention. However, his lack of a clear cut military education is noted, and these nobles plan specifically to try to deviate the Emperor and take advantage of is naivete when he finally takes the throne in years to come. Katsumoto once again embarks on an imperial tour of his lands looking to spend the next year visiting major cities and giving patronage to various Kami at temples across Japan looking to now please his general subjects as well as the Shinto preists and temple dwellers. The Imperial government allows for small groups of opportunist settlers to stake their claim to the next few islands in the Kuril chain specifically the larger one which sees the development of some small Japanese frontier settlement on the main island. Hokkaido continues to see an influx of Japanese coming from the south as the previous years of lacking economic opportunity has given more of an impetus to settle some of the open lands further. Sakhalin remains a fringe territory seeing only a few settlers this year and no expansion of its borders.
Pope Clement V dies of natural causes this year. A new conclave is held to elect the new Pope. You know the drill.
The Black Death begins to greatly slow down this year, although the entirety of Europe has been infected to one degree or another, as well as the entirety of North Africa, the Middle East, and parts of Ethiopia, India and China. In total, the plague has killed 75 million people, or 20 percent of the total Earth's population. In the aftermath of the plague, many families left fatherless are provided by single mothers, who assume the personal wealth of their husband or sons and become prominent in their own right. To that end, the memory of Antonia Visconti becomes a symbol of their success.
In the Catholic Church, many towns are left without any trained priests or preachers, and are forced to install laymen as leading liturgy and mass. Being largely untrained and sometimes illiterate, the new laypriests begin creating a bad name for the universal church as a whole, disillusioning many who came to them for guidance in these troubling times.
During the siege of Pskov, Conrad catches an arrow in the chest and is forced to return to camp leaving his men to continue their efforts in the siege. Upon further inspection upon returning to camp the wound has become infected and the arrow itself has lodged itself in between the ribs making removal difficult if not impossible, news of this turn of events is kept quiet, however, under the orders of Stanislovas in order to preserve the integrity of the coalition forces.
After the Teutonic Order had been deposed from power by the Duchy of Ermland, a large number of knights launches a revolt from the Duchy of Estonia, objecting to what they perceive as selling their soul to the princes of the Holy Roman Empire. They are supported by the Archbishopric of Riga, who feels their secularization threatens the principles of the Northern Crusades, giving them a total of 9,000 rebel troops.
Ibn Battuta crosses the Sahara desert through the cities of Taghaza and Oualata, and arrives in the realm of the Mali Empire. He is invited into the court of Mansa Ayyob, recently succeeding Mansa Musa as Emperor of Mali. He becomes particularly shocked by the appearance of women, despite Mali embracing Sunni Islam, still expose more of their body than what is permitted in the Hadith.
John Maunderville departs from Germany and arrives in the Archduchy of Lothraingia, where he gives a full and complete account of all the great works and marvelous things he saw and experienced across Eurasia.
In order to secure control over the rapidly-dwindling Byzantine Empire, Emperor John V deposes and executes a dozen different former regents and advisers who were loyal to the rival Emperor John VI. However, he still suffers from ongoing defeats at the hands of the Ottoman Sultanate, who scores their first victory on European soil at the Battle of Demotika. Suleyman Pasha secures control over Cimpe Castle, the first Ottoman Territory in Europe.
Dragos Voda organizes the Principality of Moldavia, as a vassal of Hungary.
In light of recent wars by the Lithuanians, the Metropolitan Patriarch of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, a daughter of the Eastern Orthodox Church, migrates from its seat in Halych back to Kiev, where it was originally before the days of the Mongol yoke.
Ewostathius, an Ethiopian monk, preaches religion across the empire after his pilgrimages across Egypt and Armenia. He believes strongly that the Sabbath is to be observed on both Sunday and Saturday, with the former being "Great Sabbath" and the latter being "Lesser Sabbath". His disciples, the House of Ewostathius, also propagates this belief in Ethiopia.
- Duchy of Ermland: Winrich von Kniprode is crowned as Duke of Ermland. His first action is to order the deposition and arrest of Fromhold von Vifhusen for committing treason against the the nation and the Duke orders his exile in Avignon.He then orders the Army to deal with the Rebels in Estonia by sending the soldiers on the front with Novgorod which include Bohemians to put down the revolt. this army is 20,000, 10,000 from us and 10,000 from Bohemia. We will attack Reval head on with these troops (Algo Needed). We ask the Hansetic League to blockade Reval so no outside source can supply them. The Duchy conducts a Census of the nation to see how badly the Plague affected us.Our population is at 158,000 which means 50 percent of our population died. Duke Winrich von Kniprode travels to Lubeck to meet the Burgmeister of Lubeck to discuss if the Duchy if they can join the Confederation they set up last year (Lubeck Response Needed). The Duke enacted another reform in which the term Landmeistrer will be replaced with Count. He also began the reforms of a feudal system by giving the Komturs the title of Lords. We send a Diplomat to Stockholm to talk to the leader of Sweden and establish better relations with our two nations(Swedish Responds Needed) The Duke enacts peasant reform by letting the some peasants get grants but only if they are seen as worthy of getting them. The Diplomat that has traveled to Rome also wants to talk with the College of Cardinals to see if the Duchy can have a Cardinal (Papal Response Needed)
- Stanislovas Dip: An envoy bearing gifts and an to offer to extend the protection of Poland and Lithuania to the newly established Duchy.
- Iceland: Cardinal Ari starts to have visions in his sleep of The father of the Church and Christ himself but dismisses it because it has things different or not at all in any of the gospels, after a week he recalled that the inconsistencies made more sense so he starts to write a book on those moments called the “Ari Visions”. King Ólaf announces that Iceland is renamed to “The United Kingdom” and offers Thule to rejoin now they would be equals, get a count and a duke, a five-person Gubernatorial council, four in Greenland’s advisory council and seven in the National Parliament, the Thile people would also gain a temporary building priorities to educate them (Mod response needed). Extra 175 children are born bringing the population to 25,175. The Order of Nordic Piety is given to Cardinal Ari for his book. The King says when his son comes of the age of 14. A record of the Grenadian Crusade show that during a Sunday while General Róbert prayed for the guidance of his soldiers to heaven those he prayed for entered his tent and were completely healed.
- Some Thule natives join under Iceland, while others abstain on the grounds of maintaining their nomadic way of life, since Greenland forced them to live in cities
- Mali Empire: Mansa Ayyob fully annexes Waalo this year, and begins the reconstruction of the city of Dakar and the Malian navy under close supervision of an occupation force. Trade is fully re-established across the Saharan caravan routes back to Ethiopia and Egypt, hoping to restore the circuit of the African silk road that Mansa Musa enjoyed. Reconstruction all across the empire helps to recreate and restore all the institutions that Musa had established, and in general Mansa Ayyob presents himself as the proper successor of his great father. The emperor would carefully calculate his public appearence, ensuring he wears similar clothes and similar dazzling oppulance as his father enjoyed. At the same time, however, Ayyob was not the same man as his father. Mansa Ayyob focused very heavily on arts and sciences, fascinated with the foreign education he grew up with, and wished to further patronize the arts and philosophy. He would frequently quote early Islamic philosophers himself, as well as Plato and Aristotle, as if they were his personal advisers. The secret Manding societies are also further supported across Bonanam, Waalo and Kanem, integrating those people groups into the Mandike society. In the south, a local feudal noble named Baraq Shammar sends a military expedition of 1,400 men to accompany Islamic preachers in a coastal region south of Waalo, known by the settlers as the land of Jabal Asada (Lion Mountain). Baraq found this land to be very pleasant and arable, ripe for the agriculture and cities enjoyed by the empire. So he returned to the land two months later, leading an army of 10,000 troops to subjugate the entire region, establishing a new kingdom vassalized to the Mali Empire. In Segu, Abu Yunus proceeded to conduct a public ministry of his own, preaching the theology he expounded in his earlier writings. He specifically called out the Caliphate of Baghdad as being corrupt and impious, having abandoned the words of God and Muhammad in favor of their own wealth and prestige. In fact, he believed that there has not been any real successor of Muhammad since the days of the Abbasid empire in the 9th century AD, as the House of Islam has only gone downhill from there.
- Stanislovas Faction (Poland-Lithuania?): With the return of a mortally wounded Conrad Stanislovas I orders a strict vow of silence aomngst the immediate company in the camp while he figures out what to do. After a great deal of discussions with his now dying Brother-in-law, Stanislovas realizes that the war in Novgorod is going no where. However, if he plays his cards right, he will be able to assume the Polish Crown. A envoy is sent to the Novogrodian forces offering them a 15-year truce with The Coalition returning Novogrodian lands in exchange for Novogrodian neutrality in the years to come (mod response). Having seucred a ten-year truce Stanislovas I Olgierd puts into march his plans he sends an envoy to Bohemia to his brother-in-law Ototkar telling him what has befalling Conrad and sends Conrad under the protection and privacy of his most loyal troops to Warsawa and requests in a secret envoy that Ottokar come to Warsawa next year as it is unlikely Conrad III will live out the winter. Stanislovas I makes mention of the growing tensions between the Polish and Bohemian forces and ultimately tells Ottokar that should a clean succession not be established both Bohemia and Poland will be at the mercy of their enemies and allies alike as they into internal strife. To remedy this Stanislovas says he will make claim to the Polish crown, and will secure the support of the poles by taking Galicia-Volyhnia (mod response) Stanislovas in an open address to his men states that the war with Novogrod has presented them with an opportunity to move south and take the long coveted and fertile lands of Galicia-Volhynia promising to give land grants to the men as reward for their loyal service (both Lithuanians and Poles) also making note that word has reached his ears of the fleeing of the Patriarch to Kiev using this as proof that the cause of the coalition is just and favored by god to reclaim thr lands in the name of the atholic church. He reorganize the 35,000 troops under his command so that the light cavalry of both countries are in a better position ot both raid and carry out skirmishing acts against enemy forces, while he adds his infantry to the Polish formations noting the superiority of their arms and training. He brings with him the siege weapons as well in case a seige will be required. While Stanislovas makes his way to Warsawa to discuss matters with Ottokar and hopefully preserve the stability that has developed over the years, he leaves the army under the command of his eldest son Andrzej Olgierdowic who on the order of his father launches the invasion of Galicia-Volhynia with 25,000 men while 10,000 remain in Poland should they be required in the coming months should a contender arise for the Polish throne. The light Lithuanian and Polish cavalry are let loose across the Trans-Carpathian region that has been devastated by the Black Death allowing them to loot at their leisure while The infantry and siege weapons set up camp so as to cut of Lviv from any possible aid from the Rus'
- Novgorod asks for a truce of ten years only.
- Ottokar agrees to come to Warsaw.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The expansion of the Alaipur Fort is completed and the Alaipur Fort stands as a massive fort acting as the gateway to the Deccan and projecting power over the surrounding region. The Alaipur fort along with the Dhar fort is instrumental in keeping control over Malwa and the northern Deccan. As the reforms continue in the capital, the Sufis establish Khanqahs in Sonargaon, Pandua, Lakhnauti, Dhar, Dholka and Patliputra. The garrison towns are settled by the families of 1,000 soldiers each. This helps control the areas of Bihar and Bengal. The previous Sultan, Sultan Alauddin Khilji had carefully set up a centralized standing army and took major steps to prevent revolts. To reinforce the efforts of his father, following the formalisation and laying down of rules for the Department of Intelligence, the budget of the Department of Intelligence is increased as well as the number of spies, this department is directly under the control of the Sultan and is quite powerful, with spies penetrating many of the noble households and maintaining a presence in the major cities. The postal system is made the responsibility of the Bayt-ul-Mal. The present Sultan has maintained the military reforms of his father. The Sultan’s Guard is increased in strength from 1,000 soldiers to one tumen. The Sultan’s Guard is made responsible for garrisoning the forts and fortresses of the Sultan’s direct realm (Punjab, Hansi and Delhi). The Shiqdars of the Sultan’s direct realm (Punjab, Hansi, Delhi) are now relieved of their duty of garrisoning forts and are now tasked with maintaining law and order and their other functions.
- Duumvirate of Cilicia: Many of people, establish territory in northen Syria to annex it and developing some stuff so they a bit occupied so the holy see of Cilicia continue, to discuss about establishing church and other thing the Christian king, discuss with it to annex Cyprus for vassal so they're agree with this year, the Cilicians annex the kingdom of Cyprus and claim as vassal of it, with sending 10,000 crusaders into the territory and they let across to have a contact with the Middle East he make his way to continue his own progress and so what for now in the city armenian, many monastery from Armenia built some house and bring weapons to conquer more to just favored by god so the knight's launch an campgain in they separate the territorial so they annex Pamphylia and the tarsus mountain by sending 12,000 soldiers the council insists to establish law and such rule on the main kingdom and also supported by Armenia as well for having safety and such thing. Meanwhile, with more people they produce beef, steak and much food to give to poor and a group of village they building a castle called 'Amouda' teutonic for what know the Christians king is called 'John' King of Cyprus and Cilicia he was also a titular title of the Prince of Antioch many of armenia for now migrate to this little Armenian kingdom ruled by John for good and safety as such help in need people heard there was a year ago before a dynasty called the rubenind who conquer of this heart of anatolia and establish an alliance with the Mongol and allied with the House of the Lampron so what people already knew about it they continue to product most of food which is possible from Europe or eastern or the byzantines most of product are possible origin from eastern Europe, normal Europe and the byzantine but falled so they migrate as well.
- Papal States: With the death of Pope Clement V, Cardinal-Secretary Niccolò Capoci destroy his Fisher's ring. The body of the deceased pontiff is buried in the Basilica of Saint Peter after a mass is celebrated for his soul. Gertrude, Clement's serval cat, is take by Cardinal Pierre de Beaufort to live with him at Avignon. Cardinal de Beaufort continues with his works of charity as a way to make up for his cousin's crimes. With the pope dead, the reunion about the Holy League will need to wait. Meanwhile, as the last wish of Clement, Cardinal Capoci writes to the Kingdom of Cyprus, Kingdom of Arles, Duchy of Savoy, Neopatria and Knights of Rodes asking for their participation in the Holy League. He says that now Muslims are returning to Europe and the Christian kingdons must fight together [MOD response needed, please]. Elena Cimorelli resists the efforts of her mother and brother to marry her. She says that his husband is Christ, but the pressure that they made for her to get married is becoming unbearable and she pray every day to God help her. Later in the year while praying, Elena enters in a state of ecstasy. After returning to her senses, she start to shed tears of happiness. God have talked to her and have given to her a mission. Elena thanks God and go carry the mission that He give to her, shows His infinite love to all human beings.
- All of these except Arles accept to join the league.
- Tian China: With the spread of the plague finally starting to slow down within the territories it hasn’t infected in China, the Emperor orders an even further intensification of the efforts to drive out the disease and stop the plague, as he views this as a sign that the tides are finally beginning to turn in the favor of the Middle Kingdom, and any advantage needs to be seized as quickly as possible. The slaughter of “unclean” animals and burnings of the dead continue throughout the effected regions, as part of the efforts to stop the spread of the disease. The colonization of Taiwan also continues, as a large number of colonists continue to arrive in our vassal kingdoms to settle on the island every year, with small Han communities even beginning to establish themselves in some of the other kingdoms urban centers. With the agreement of the Japanese to our trade offer, we finally begin to deal with the Plague, as the large amounts of food purchased allow us to finally begin distributing extra supplies into the famine afflicted regions, in order to deal with the malnutrition and starvation that have been plaguing them. However, they can only do so much, and we decide to also Make a similar offer to our other main ally and Tributary, the Kingdom of Goryeo (Korea), asking them if they have any surplus’s crops from their recent harvests and requesting to purchase as much as they have avaliable. This also marks the beginning of our wider attempts to reopen trade now that we have largely quarantined the plague within its home provinces (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED) We also make another request of our Japanese ally’s, asking if they have any crop strains better suited for the colder weather we have recently been experiencing that they would be willing to trade with us (Japanese Response needed!)The increasing use of the Taiwanese kingdoms as middlemen until the Plague has fully passed also helps to establish greater trade routes in the region, and ultimately leads to a boost to the islands developing economy and further improvement of their infrastructure and burgeoning ports, with the island starting to develop into a major local center of trade as a result. The military service of the crown prince in Manchuria also continues, as he begins to develop a surprising amount of skill in military matters despite his previous disposition, and begins serving with some distinction in fighting with various bandits and tribal raiders in the area.
- Korea donates as much as they can to the Tian dynasty.
- Swiss Confederacy: With the further waning of the Black Death, the remaining closed borders in the north of the Swiss Confederacy are re-opened, though the joint military of the Confederacy remains on standby to close the borders in case of a second outbreak. This allows the cantons of the Confederacy to trade with surrounding nations again, initiating a recovery in the Swiss economy from the plague-imposed isolation. Domestically, the government works on boosting the wool, linen and lumber industries, which were largely neglected during the Black Death in favour of agriculture; the return of external trade removes pressure on the food supply and thus such an extreme focus on food production is no longer necessary. Bishop of Chur Ulrich V von Lenzburg, who had travelled to Rome for discussions about the creation of a Holy League, remains in Rome for the conclave along with his cousin Ulrich VI after the death of Pope Clement V. With the plague waning and the Anglo-French conflict having ground to a standstill as a result of the outbreak, the Central Council of the Confederacy begins to look at the French succession crisis. After discussions in the Central Council, Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli writes to French nobles, urging them again to support Victor Capet as King of France, due to his more direct primogeniture and his closer ties to the Holy Roman Empire and to create a greater sense of unity in France to help it rebuild from the devastation of the Black Death and the English invasion. (Mod response) With some towns having lost their clergy to the plague, the Central Council and Guichard Tavelli urge some friar and monk leaders from the Abbeys of Einsiedeln and Engelberg and the Priories of Schwyz and Uri to at least temporarily fill in as secular clergy. While the joint military is largely focused on remaining on standby in case the Black Death is not quite gone yet, some fortifying work is also done in the new Canton of Aargau. Ironically, one location the military uses as a garrison is Habsburg Castle in the town of the same name, the original but abandoned seat of the Habsburg Dynasty of Austria.
- Majapahit: Under the reign of the fourth Raja of the Majapahit Empire, Hayam Wuruk the realm of the Majapahit continues in its gloriousness as the Mahapatih Gajah Mada uses his extensive knowledge of political maneuvering in order to strengthen the administration of the Empire in order to further strengthen the Royal court. First most importantly the administration of certain Mancanegara territories most importantly Bali and Lombok are brought into the cultural sphere of the Negara Agung and placed under administration with several members of the Rakryan Mantri ri Pakira-kiran being sent to administer the islands under the overlordship of the Rajah, while the administration is mostly allowed to continue the same although integration into the Negara Agung is continued under the stewardship of the Aryas of the kingdom who remain loyal supporters of the Raja Hayam Wuruk. Meanwhile, a small expedition is sent out to the island of Sulawesi with a small outpost being established on the southern edge of the island as a trading partner to the inland tribes (OTL Makassar). Meanwhile, in order to further establish their glory and establish a hegemony over the islands of Nusantara, they launch an invasion of the island of Sumbawa in the lesser Sunda islands with a force of 23,000 men invading the small island hoping to establish our reign over it. Most importantly we offer the Kingdom of Sunda our neighbor a marriage between the Raja Sri Rajasanagara Jayawishnuwardhana and a princess of their dynasty Mod Response. Meanwhile, the use of the popular Leather Puppet Theater grows throughout various areas of the empires including Sumatra and Melayu being used to portray traditional Hindu tales and spread them syncretically throughout the empire. Within the Melayu the Hindu and Chinese merchants begin to gain more and more power and influence due to their relations with the Chinese and the Indians who mainly serve to spread our goods to the rest of the world, their positions begin to grow much more stronger than the Muslims due to this fact and they exert their influence drawing more converts to this religions than to the islam at the time. In particular within the the city of Pajang a new Hindu temples are constructed under the guidance of the current Bhre Pajang showing wealth and glory of the majapahit within their halls. Meanwhile, trade continues to grow with the expansion of our navy to exert our dominance over the islands of Nusantara.
- The Raja of Sunda does not trust the Majapahit, being a long time rival, and does not entrust his daughter to marry the their ruler.
- Jarldom of Vinland: Another attack is launched at the Beothuk in order to push them farther away and unite the island. In other news the population finnaly reaches 5,000 in an event which is celebrated through the entire nation.During the second battle of green lake,the jarl is wounded during a mist when she got lost in the mist and got hit by an arrow in the eye. The jarl is taken back to camp but passes away from her injuries later on. As the jarl has no children, her Brother, Ragnar II is the new jarl. He continues the firce anti-Icelandic policies but nevertheless, proposes a meeting between him and his Icelandic counterpart. (ICELANDIC RESPONSE NEEDED). Meanwhile, the infrastructure sees a huge update with more roads being ccontructed.
- Icelandic Dip: King Ólaf agrees to meet with the Jarl but only by a table and bodyguards are present.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Harba Lorifa": Reform to Lotharingia seems to be inevitable for the Archduchy, this is due effects of the plague. The Archduchy having issue's with the monetary funding of the administration, The Saint Rombouts kerk construction and upkeep of the Mechelen parliament halting to a minimum. This strain comes from the lowest classes of Society, as the increase in grain prices decreases their wealth. One of the Money saving tactics the peasantry tries is switching from grapes and berries to Sprouts. It now being comen to have sprouts grow near houses, these being so close to the walls as to be easy to picked and then cut just before consumption. Although farming goes down in many coastal communities, people claim small fisher boats of those who are not there anymore. So the more expensive meats such as fox and high quality beef and ribs, these meats being expensive due to the labour needed in getting them at their peak. This all creates a shortage of Taxation, as the peasants try to hide their possesions from their lords so they can feed themself. This is also due to a rise in petty crime like theft of chickens and other small items such as buttons and small bowls of food. Hendrick und Familien Compagnnie seeing a great opertunity in these events, they Petition the Archduke to aid in new Naval technology. The company wanting to find cheaper and more effective ways of actually trading and sailing, but not fully able to afford to experiment with new technology. In Duchy of Ermland Some of the unsatisfied Livonian Brethren of the Sword, reform into the Duchy of Estonia. This Reform being a Reaction to the Secularisation of the order and Duchy, as they want to keep their power and livelyhood unchanged. So they form the Duchy of Estonia, as a measure to Rebel against the Crown of Ermland. Ermland having Pledged their loyalty to Sacred empire and the Emperor John, As the members of the empire were willing to protect it. So emperor John now officially recognises the Duchy of Ermland as a member of the Roman Empire, and so Emperor John sends a representative to Winrich von Kniprode(Teuton Response). In Lorraine Little john begins to act so strange it becomes undiscribeable, This causes fear for his realm. Thus Caroline and Archduke John ask the Papal representatives once more to tell what they know about the litle boy's mental health. (Papal Response). Saint Columbanus followers growth begins to slown down, as the economic slowdown begins to create large poverty within the folowers. This being seen as a sign by some that they have not been devote enough, while other begin to belive that this order has outlived its stay.
- Federation of Padinia: The production of Pasta is increased further as well as war preparations are made, in order to go back to our conquering ways and increase the size of Padinia the hard way.
Habemus Papam! Cardinal Ulrich V von Lenzburg is elected the new pope, taking on the papal name of Pope Victor IV. As a German, this restores the previous political institution of Pope Gregory XI with influence coming from the Holy Roman Empire. However, the Cardinal-Electors imposes a set of capitulations for Ulrich to accept before ascending as the new Pope.
Emperor Johannes, also known as Archduke John II of Lothraingia and Count John the Blind of Luxembourg, dies this year. He is succeeded as Archduke of Lothraingia and Count of Luxembourg by his son Charles. An imperial diet is held to elect the new King of Germany, with most electors favoring Charles to succeed his father.
The single outbreak of the Black Death that began in 1344 ends this year. The Plague will still persist across Eurasia, however, with sporadic smaller outbreaks continuing for a long time.
Conrad III passes at th start for the new year just as Stanislovas and Ottokar meet. After the funeral it is agreed upon that Ototkar will assume formal control over Bohemia becoming its king while Stanislovas will should he voted King of Poland recognized as such by Ottokar and Bohemia formally ending the union between the two great kingdoms. In light of the death of Conrad III the Duke of Austria lays claim to the thrones of both Poland and Bohemia.
Ibn Battuta remains in the court of Mali most of this year, and in the end returns north and begins his journey across the Sahara Desert back home.
John Maunderville arrives back in France, where he publishes a full account of his travels and life all the way since 1322. He finally retires at this point and finishes his journey.
Giovanni Boccaccio publishes a collection of romantic novels known as the Decameron.
While giving a speech before the newly-formed confederation of the Hanseatic League, the Burgermeister of Lubeck slips on a knucklebones toy and shatters his tibia. This causes a public outcry by the Hanseatic league members on the dangers of children's toys.
- Voidevodeship of Wallalchia: Prince Nicholas and his nobles were asked to annex the region of the Carpathians's Romanian so would definity acceptable to have more vassal of it the noble send 20,00 mans to conquer it and other mountain by establlsh the border since that Black Death has touch in Europe a family Wallachians has been touched of it warning of village, to not go any outside of the plague. After a while Prince Nicholas continues his journey in Wallachia, in court of his royal palace one of noble's army asks Nicholas to annex Oryahovo since they sent 16,000 men - but anyway, Nicholas and his laws rule establishs some strategy stuff to developing safety and such other thing that he need help on the state to developing more stuff the villagers request for Nicholas to have Bukovina, Transylvania as well part of Banat, Cirsana and Marmmure for what now villager organize and develop fortifications, castles, churches, etc., and many one of them produce their food for surviving and protecting their herds for production food as well.
- Iceland: An extra 175 kids are born bringing the population to 25,350. Cardinal Ari finally finishes his Book and wishes for it to be stored in the Papal States. During a parliamentary meeting the Icelandic Delegations and the Thule Delegations decide that a leader of Parliament should be chosen every for years, the man decided to be the Leader of Parliament is Aalik Gaaba from the Thule tribe, the Leader of Parliament and the King decide to make a small town near the Thule border to make sure if some teens want to join the could. Meanwhile, a fort is constructed on the western beaches of Greenland.
Cardinal Mac Diarmada goes to Mali and wishes to be able to travel through the Mansa´s realm to document his travels and bring stories to tell Iceland (Mali response needed)
- Nyazwe: The migration of Nyazwe citizens into the west continues, as the San are pushed farther and farther away from existing water sources and forced to flee to the coast where Nyazwe has yet to reach. Agriculture is developed around the settlement of Maun, with the settlers developing their sorghum farms in the surrounding floodplains of the town. A permanent garrison is established at the site, with a single misasa of infantry and their families setting up their homes within the enclosure walls, and helping to herd cattle and raise horses on the land. Collectively, the warriors, their families, and the migrants of the area, make up some 4,000 inhabitants in all, not counting the additional migrants flowing through the district to its fringes to settle the lands there. The town of Katima Mulilo is selected by the Hamadzese as the first settlement to receive a direct road linking it to the core territories of Nyazwe, with this road to come from the neighboring town of Bambusi in the east. At the moment, all heavy goods being sent to the settlement must be moved via the Zambezi River, which has performed this task admirably. In the far south, the Shona have established several new communities, which are blossoming rapidly thanks to the many years of preparation on their part for the eventual conquest of the central southern African plateau, all the way up to the Great Escarpment.
The settlement of Kumucheto (OTL Calvinia) is established by Nyazwe migrants from the southern districts, who have settled themselves in the area to raise livestock alongside the streams of water within the deep valley surrounding the settlement. Farther north, the settlement of Yakakosha (OTL Prieska) is founded along the Orange River as a site to raise livestock and cultivate sorghum crops throughout the year. It also serves as one of the primary crossing points into the south to reach the other end of the lands claimed by Nyazwe. With the rapid development of the new lands along the Orange River, it is authorized by the Hamadzese that the town of Huro Yenyoka be established as the territorial capital of Maodzanyemba, the district comprising all territories south of the Orange River.In the nearly twenty years since its founding as a garrison site for the Vakadanwa in the south, Huro Yenyoka has grown to boast a population of some 6,000 inhabitants, who benefit from the rich soil along the river, and cultivate a wide range of crops which have been vital to the survival of smaller settlements throughout the south. Elsewhere, according to a report by the Ministry of Means, monetization of the economy of the southern districts has reached about 80 percent, with the majority of all transactions between the inhabitants there conducted with hard currency. This development brings the south to the level of the north in terms of economic development, though primarily on the side of transfers of wealth. Naval development within Nyazwe has continued, with the new sailors of the recently-established Zvikepe (Shona for "the ships"), training under the wing of long-serving Shona sailors from the merchant vessels of the Arabs, Indians, Persians, and Swahili in the decades past. Many of these older men have been selected by the Zvakane in Lusvingo to serve him as high-ranking officers on their vessels, and to train future generations of sailors how to live and fight aboard a ship. To that end, a school for sailors is established in the city of Muromo Wenyika to train new leaders how to function aboard and command such ships, with the majority of those being trained coming from the families of fishermen along the coast. These groups spends months at sea, sailing between Swahili cities in East Africa and northern Madagascar, and sometimes as far as India and Malaysia aboard merchant vessels as additional hands to get them accustomed to working the rigging of a ship.
- Mali Empire: Mansa Ayyob completes the restoration of the greatness of the Mali Empire this year, bringing back the income of foreign trade and wealth known in the days of Mansa Musa. Waalo is fully annexed this year, and the port of Dakar is also completely reconstructed. With the navy of Mali still being rebuilt, the Trans-African silk road is re-established with earlier trade agreements offered again to both Ethiopia and Hispania. The military campaigns of Baraq Al-Shams have secure control over the whole lands of Jabal Asada (Sierra Leone), and established several outposts for further Muslim missions and Mandike colonists. When Ibn Battuta arrived in Timbuktu, he was awestruck by the vast and immense architecture used across the spralling urban centers, preserving a variety of artistic styles from Morocco and Egypt. His work is some of the best sources we have on the scale and development of Timbuktu at the time, although it was a special case in being the largest city mostly unaffected by the recent civil war. He wrote extensively also on the individual ways of life of people of Timbuktu, which mirrors a lot of what was stated by Hendrickus Pisacus. He was invited to the court of Mansa Ayyob, and came to stay in the capital city of Niani for the rest of his visit. Ayyob was fascinated to hear everything Ibn Battuta had to say about all his travels, ranging from the nearby nations of Morocco and Egypt, all the way to the lands of India and China. It is said that Ayyob had Battuta dictate extensively about all the foreign technologies and socieites he encountered to a panel of literate scholars, who added these works to the library of Timbuktu, but none of these books seem to have survived. In return, Ayyob related to Battuta all the recent history of Mali and his father Mansa Musa, including the whole saga of his reign and legacy as has previously been stated in this textbook. Battuta's cultural shock at the practices of Malian women is most interesting, indicating that some of the practices preached by Abu Yunus was already de facto in effect across the empire. Eventually, he departed back for his homeland in Morocco, on a caravan delivering 600 slave women to be sold in Fez. The Manding secret societies continue to be promoted in the lands of Kanem, Jabal Asada, and Nigeria, where more military outposts are placed on the border with the Oyo.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. Tlatoani Tupac of the Mixtec continues to persistantly attack and raid the Tarascan state's soutern borders, eventually breaking through the defenses this year and begin a major front along the coastal territories of the Empire. Cazonci Nalhen, learning of this break-through, grows speachless and shelters himself away from public view. Feeling as though the dream so many moons ago had begun to become true, he flees the city, going on a spiritual journey through the ritual burial sites of his forefathers. He weeps near the chambers of his former father and his before, yelling at the sun god Curicaveri for failing him in this time of great plight. Suddenly, the evil goddess Auicamine emerges from the chamber of his deceased brother, Hiripan, and questions his faith after listening to his insulting of her father. Cazonci Nalhen, in a pit of despair, asks Auicamine for help in this war, under any circumstances. Auicamine looks at him, and states that for the Empire to have her support in the war, Nalhen must kill one of his sons, as well as to commit to purging all religious sects that stand inferior to her, primarily Izel's Church of Huit'zi'lichial. She finally regards Nalhen with one more term, being that the Empire must remain in a near-constant state of war until it's eventual demise. Nalhen, submitting to her power, accepts the demands and, after Nalhen kisses her, falls unconscious. He would remain this way for two months, finally waking up to discover that the Xalisco had re-occupied the Western Sea in addition to the Mixtec beginning to near the city of Tenochtitlan. Nalhen curses Auicamine for lying, but stops after a shooting star appears in the night sky above him, taking it as a sign that her forces will arrive in due time.
- Papal States: Ulrich V von Lenzburg accepts the capitulations proposed by the Cardinal-Electors, then he is crowned as Pope Victor IV in the Basilica of Saint Peter. His first act as pope is promote the Holy League. He writes to the Kingdom of Hungary asking for their participation in the League [MOD response needed, please]. The pontiff also writes to Hispania and Venice asking for their participation [Hispania and Venice response needed, please]. The pope says to the ambassadors of the nations that answered Clement's call that they must act now before the Turks become more powerful. The League must seize Çimpe Castle from the Muslims and prevent any future attempt of expansion over the European lands. The pope write to the Teutonic Order, calling them back to Rome to help in the Holy League [MOD response needed, please]. With the Plague ending, the ports of Ostia and Civitavecchia are reopened. In preparation for future conflicts in the Mediterranean against the Osman, galleys start to be built in these ports. The military centers in the Papal States return to train new soldiers for the Papal Army after the loses for the Plague. With the death of Stefano Colonna of Plague in 1348, Victor choses as Captain General Galeotto I Malatesta. Cardinal Niccolò Capoci continues with the position of Cardinal-Secretary. Due to the shortage of priests after the Plague and the incompetence of these lay priests, the pope orders the creation of centers to train these lay priests and other men interested in the religious life. The centers will offer the classes necessary for the formation of good priests. Theologians formed in Saint Augustine's University and experienced monks and friars are sent to these centers to act as professors. The book of Cardinal Ari is received and placed in the Sistine Library to be used in studies of Theology. A comission start to investigate the miracles atributed to Róbert Arnasson, for now he is declared Servant of God. The physician sent to investigate John of Loraine declares that the boy suffer of a mental disorder and the exorcist priest didn't find any signal of demonic possession. Elena Cimorelli start to give food and clothes to the poor of Ostia, she also speaks about the Christ's Infinity Love for humanity. Elena also confort those that lost relatives for the Plague. Her mother and brother try to make her stop doing it and find a husband, but she ignore them. Due to her actions of charity and simple lifestyle even coming from a wealth family, Elena start to attract a group of woman that want to imitate her. Her visions and ecstasies continues to happen and she start to talk about them to her confessor, the priest Leonio Fabozzi.
- Teutons and Hungary join the Holy League.
- Swiss Confederacy: As Ulrich V von Lenzburg is elected Pope Victor IV, he is replaced as Bishop of Chur by Peter Gelyto, originally from Bohemia. Some physicians and mercenaries are sent to the Confederacy's political allies the Duchy of Lower Bavaria to help them recover from the devastation of the Black Death; other physicians and religious orders continue the same task within the Confederacy. The Central Council offers 5,000 troops, including 3,000 regular soldiers and 2,000 mercenaries, to join the Holy League Crusade called for by Pope Victor IV. (Papal response) The Central Council also sends an envoy to the King of Poland, offering him the use of 2,000 mercenaries at a reduced rate in order to fight their mutual enemies the Habsburg Dynasty of Austria, who are now trying to claim the Polish and Bohemian thrones. (Poland response) The Canton of Sion sends an envoy to the neighbouring County of Savoy, proposing a trade agreement between the Confederacy and Savoy from which Savoy could gain wool, linens and lumber. (Mod response) Domestically, the government continues to work on recovery from the plague and also works on recruiting new soldiers and mercenaries after some of the existing army was killed by the plague. The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy is largely focused on preparing for possible deployments to Byzantium and/or Poland, but there is the fortifying work done in the Canton of Aargau is also continued.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Victor IV thanks the Central Council for the troops and give to the Swiss people his blessings.
- Savoy agrees to the trade deal.
- Duchy of Eiru: As anarchy continues across Eiru with the death of much of the Anglo- Norman population the current duke Tighearnach after the death of his father Aodh from the plague is forced to either re-unite Eiru with his limited forces, ask the English for support or try something more drastic. Secret: Tighearnach decides on a radically aggressive approach and sends secret envoys to France and Lortharinga and asks them to send some troops and Edward Mortimer officially mercenaries under the pretence of Eiru hiring mercenaries to help them re- unify the country but really for a war against England in which the Duchy will rebel against English rule and incite rebellions in Scotland and Wales. Assuming they send troops the uprising will occur next year. (Vinny and mod response) End Secret. Dublin castle is kept in good shape and otherwise there is little to be done as much of the Duchy is in anarchy.
- Tian China: After almost a decade of ravaging China, the Great Plague that has been rampaging through China for almost a decade finally ends near the beginning of the year, and with its end efforts to combat the famine that has also been occurring are finnaly able to be made in much larger amounts, as resources and food pour into the regions suffering and the people are finally able to go back to preparing for the next harvest without the constant need to avoid human contact due to the plague. This also allows us to finally begin gathering large amounts of forces again without the constant problem of the plague. Thus, the emperor, feeling newly confident and feeling the need to reastablish confidence in his rule after these disasters, officially declares the annexation of our two Taiwanese vassal kingdoms, and their official integration into China as the Province of Taiwan, and also moves 20,000 men into the area under the command of General Hua Long, to crush any thoughts of rebellion, and to move against the remaining Taiwanese kingdoms and invade them if their is no rebellion to crush (ALGORITHMS NEEDED). We also begin preparing for a renewed campaign of centralization in response to the weakening of many noble families as a result of the plague, and the emperor begins to write another book on his philosophy and personal beliefs, which have been very influenced by the effects of the plague and the chaos of the last nine years. We also finnaly begin to once more open up to greater trade with our allies and tributaries such as Japan and Korea.
- Jarldom of Vinland: For the first time in history, the Vinlandic jarl arrives in Rejkjavik with his royal guard where they meet the Icelandic king to discuss mutual relatinships. Although the jarl storms out and leaves, the meeting was a diplomatic success for jarl. The village of new Bratthild begins being built and roads connecting it and New Nuuk are laid down.The poplulation reaches 5,050. A daughter and a boy are born this year and as customary vinladic tradion for twins,they will rule together when they ascend the throne as Jarl and jarl Consort.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Harba Lorifa": The Archduke of Lotharingia John II Reginarid Dies, John the Blind First duke of all of Frisia. John the Blind being succeded by his son Karel Reginarid, Charles now being the Archduke of all of Lotharingia. Charles becoming the First Duke of Brabant not Named John since the Founding father John I of Brabant-Lothiers. Not only is Charles the succesor of the Archduke of Lothiers, His father was also the Holy Roman Emperor. So Charles promises more rights, stability and mostly Reform and Simplification of the empire, to end the job his Father have started. These reforms include putting all ellectors down in writing, Founding an Imperial navy with Proper funding to defend the empire. One issue with Charles Campaigning being the Monetary restraints he has due to the lower taxation related to the Plague. So he decides for himself, that he will turn some of his unused land into farms for Grain and sprouts and much more. Although this is temporary, this is not popular at his court, Charles just wanting a cheaper source of food he can use. This measure making sure he has enough food to feed himself and the court for lesser events, Charles having taken a liking to the peasant sprouts. The peasantry liking the fact that as it makes them feel like he's a Royal of the people. This increase in popularity helping with Support, and recruitment for the Profesional standing army. On the contra this does decrease peasants willing to join the army of the nobility, as the Archduke seems to be a fairer man then his nobles. Charles trying to slowly standardise the Lotharingian army into one united force, where Ranks are earned by Merit instead of birth. Charles wanting to give the Nobility easy and well paying jobs in fields like administration, while the grittgier and harsher jobs could possibly go to lower ranks such as merchants and rich farmland owners. One Noble Charles sends away is the lord of horne to Dublin with an army 2,000 troops including three cannons and some handcannons. This is done as per request of the Duchy of Ireland, as to support their ideals. Charles even moving the restants of the Army to the County of Aalst, so it is close to all possible treats.Karl von lothiers, begins to look into foreign diplomacy. Doing so he sees the current issues the County of Guelders has, such as an even lower proportion of men able to work and a Brain drain toward Lotharingia and Utrecht. Thus Charles and the Parliament of Mechelen propose that the county joins the Parliament and thus gets represenation and monitasation (mod Response) In Lorainne Little john of Lorainne, has been officially confirmed by the church to be unfit to rule the Duchy. This being due to his acts of animal torture and speaking against non existant voices in his head. So as a temporary solution it has been decided, that Caroline of Brabant will rule over the Duchy until a suitable replacement has been found.
- Mod response: Guelders respectfully declines.
- Poland-Lithuania: Stanislaw Olgierd is elected by the Polish Nobility as the new king of Poland to rule jointly with his wife Queen Elzbeta coming off the success of the conquest of Galicia, and in light of the Hapsburg claims to both the Polish and Bohemian thrones. Now styled Stanislaw I, he begins reorganizing the newly conquered territories. Conitnuing the policies started by Conrad and Ottokar following the civil war he grants a portion of the land to his the troops who served on campaign with him as payment for services. His eldest son is created the Duke of Haylich and put in charge of the border region. The rest of the land he portions out to be sold off or leased to free peasants and minor nobles. He allows the settlement of Galicia by Lithuanians on the condition of conversion to Catholicism. To further improve his relations with his new subjects he agrees to reign in Poland at the advice of the Sejm, church and City guilds. Vilnius is granted Madeburg status to help improve trade and draw in people from Germany and the Jews from other parts of E#urope. He agrees to uphold the rights of Jews as dictated by Papal bull. With the South of Poland devastated after years of the plague an effort to repopulate the region by allowing for grants to people from central Poland and Lithuania. He decides to establish his court in Warsawa given the importance of the city in the final years of Conrad's life. With the end of the union with Poland realizing that Poland will need a new source of minerals and wealth Stanislaw begins encouraging the expansion of mining activities in the newly acquired Galician territories and in Silesia while, an investment into the expansion of roads connecting the different reginos of his new realm. deciding to make good on his conversion to the Catholic church Stanislaw promies to visit Rome next year to see the pope. He also continues the policy of patronage to the Mercedines to continue their missionary work in Lithuania, and allows them to expand their operations into Galicia to provide spiritual and medical support to the communities of his realms. He also begins organizing leymen to support them in this endeavour and to act as his eyes and ears across his domains. He organizes several frontier settlement made up of his light cavalry to act as a countermeasure against any possible Rus' incursion in light of the recent souring of relations and if necessary and porfitable to carry out raids into the lands of the Rus' and Mongol hordes funds. To help in this matter he commissions the construction of foritfications along the frontier region. Construction of a castle residence in Warsawa begins. Efforts to restore the Transcarpathian trade routes begin. With the Black Death steadily dying out Stanislaw begins promoting officially amongst his courtiers and subjects to follow the example set by the Papacy of maintaining cleanliness to prevent a such a devastating spread of disease and allocates funds to support the mercedines in their contruction and maintainence of hospitals. He also promotes the education of nobles both Polish and Lithuanian in reading and writing allowing the Mercedines to set some schools attached to their monastries and churches. Stanislaw offers his brother-in-law Ottokar a formal alliance and promises to come to the aid of Bohemia should the Austrian duke try to make good on his claim. Several enovys are sent to the German states, Western Europe, Italy and to the Latin Empire to establish ties the rest of the Catholic world.
- Japanese Empire: This year, the empire finally begins t return to normal as the resumption of trade begins with China. While currently through a middleman in Taiwan, the annexation of the Taiwanese kingdoms to China effectively turns it into much less of an issue as much of the previous duties paid to the Vassal kingdoms are reverted to the preferential status of the Chinese. This resumption of trade sees the coffers begin to fill up once again. Vast stocks of fur and other key goods are shipped off to be sold and the demand for Fur in both Japan and China skyrocket. This large sale of Furs meets a demand thats been on since trade stopped years ago. However, it becomes clear stocks were not nearly enough and the Emperor authorizes multiple expeditions into Sakhalin, further parts of claimed Manchuria, and into the unknown regions beyond looking to fill up the fur stock. The land survery process is continually developed to ensure that when finally enacted it will cover every inch of agricultural and productive land in Japan and to make sure each farm is producing the right amount. No More, No Less, the system is intended to be fair and some farms are expected to see an increase in their taxes, while others will see a falling. Some will so no change at all. The Imperial mint project continues as this year sees the first major wave of gold coins of Japanese make enter circulation augmenting the Chinese and Silver/copper currencies already in circulation. A new wave of enclosure farms springs up in Northern Japan as some enterprising freemen purchase the land and begin fencing it off for their own productive measures. The Imperial army for the first time in years sees its first expasion as the skeleton crew of men is expanded from its light 5,000 to nearly 15,000, with plans to expand it back to 20,000 the next year. The integration of cannons into the Army has been completed as a small artillery regiment is included within the standing force numbering about 50 cannons and their associated equipment and manpower. The adoption of the stocked hand cannons is also completed as the old weapons are phased out in favor of the new ones. This remains just another incremental upgrade. The navy is once again allowed to patrol the seas as trade routes have reopened. A better outfitted trade expedition is brought together with plans to sail south past China and toward the Indochinese Kingdoms and Brunei hoping to open up new longstanding trade routes with these powers. As the attempt to Syncronize with Buddhism continues a new movement develops known as the Kensei Order. It is started by renown Swordsman and Kensei (a highly prestigious title) Tenjin Nakamura standing as the Grandmaster of the order appealing clearly to the landless Ronin of Japan. It speaks of Honor, Service, Peace of Mind, and attaining spiritual communion with the Kami. The school of thought is an intermixing of Buddhist and Shinto ideals. The order this year under Tenjin accepts 20 new Ronin on top of the 30 already housed at the Temple which stands the countryside between Okayama and Hiroshima. Some of the Ronin of this school of thought are sent immediately to wander the countryside near the temple, keeping the peace and meditating.
- Federation of Padinia: The Council of Padinia launches their first war campaign since its creation declaring war on Sienna and Arezzo assigning 13,000 to Sienna and 12,000 to Arezzo Sienna is led by Konrad Von Landau and Arezzo is led by Ambrogia Spinola the new heir to the Spinola family. Sienna and Arezzo upon defeat will become vassals of the federation for ten years then they will if they have proved themselves trustworthy become members of the Federation as voted by the council. (Algos needed by tomorrow night).
Archduke Charles I of Lothraingia is elected as King Charles VII of Germany. He now has the option to petition the pope to be crowned Emperor.
The securing of the Personal Union between Poland and Lithuania leads to the Sejm being convened in the Capital. Having previously elected the King it seems only natural to make sure this king has the best interests of Poland in mind. The King is asked to attend the Sejm and debate policy as well as the consolidation of some of the new territories in Galicia.
Nyazwe suffers greatly from decentralization as many tribes and city-states on the periphery of their recent expansions push for greater autonomy, causing large-scale revolts in the core of the nation. The Nguni tibes south of the Limpopo River have fully adopted the metalurgy and iron weapons of the Nyazwe over the last generation, and now launch major attacks against key settlements en route to the Orange River, effectively cutting off support to Nyazwe's more recent territories farther south. At home, a series of regional ministers have accumulated enough wealth and property to assert their own regional power as autonomous governors. Collectively known as the "Mutape Clans", these ministers refuse to raise military in the name of the Nyazwe ruler until their local rights are recognized.
The Union of Valencia reoragnizes their revolt and sieges the city of Valencia, with the strength of 10,000 troops. As they had caused such havoc in the region of southern Catelonia over the last few years, the Sultanate of Morocco has asserted their independence and formally dissolved their status as a puppet of the House of Barcelona.
Ibn Battuta ends his journey by arriving back in Fez in Morocco, finally ending a long career of traveling all over the globe. John Maunderville similarly returns briefly to England this year to end his life of traveling, before returning to France to his proper estates in Orleans.
King Philip VII of France dies and is succeeded by King John I, his son. He continues the war against England with the ongoing alliance of the direct Capetian supporters.
The Gallipoli earthquake occurs causing multiple breaches in the longstanding fortress in the area leaving it open to attack until repaired. The Ottomans sieze the opportunity and begin invading into eastern Thrace.
The King of Hungary demands that Wallachia submits tribute to the Arpad realm as a proper vassal.
The Kingdom of Cuzco expands clear to its south attempting to further subjugate the Ayamara peoples but also feel out the strength of the area.
The Kingdom of Lang Xang is established by uniting control over both Shan and Laos tribes, led by its first king Fa Ngum.
- Republic of Venice: After the Plague has slowed down and has almost disappeared, the agricultural sector being largely intact (unlike that of Tuscany or the Mezzogiorno for example) a quick recovery is almost certain. To repopulate the now often undermanned estates in the Emilia-Romagna, and to develop the industrial capacities of the Republic, many German Jews and Artisans are invited to settle in the Venetian Republic. One of the most appealing arguments toward them is the promise to worship freely. (MOD RESPONSE ON HOW MANY COME) The only thing the guilds prevent is that Jews are allowed to become owners of banking houses or landlords, which can be explained by the fear that the domestic merchants and landlords will be pushed away from their economic power. Another group that is invited are doctors, both to teach and learn in the Venetian universities, so that future plagues can be prevented. However, the Black Death claims one last great death despite the good physicians, former Doge Francesco “Cangrande” della Scalgia dies in March. He is succeeded by Andrea Dandolo, a man who is similar to him a great supporter of the arts and sciences, and is member of the famous Dandolo family which has already had many of its members serving as Doges. On the other side of the Mediterranean, the Venetian possessions live in constant fear of Ottoman expansion. A large fortification program takes place to secure the islands against this potential enemy. Large fortifications in Crete and the Cyclades are starting to be constructed, while the already heavily fortified Rhodes sees many modernisations. A potential alliance is requested from Hungary, Serbia, Naples and the Papacy to crush the Ottoman threat in northern Greece (MOD/POPE RESPONSE NEEDED). The army in Durazzo is prepared to march east, and the Venetians send diplomats out to the Greek States (the Latin Empire in particular, as they have a formal alliance) and Bulgaria (LATIN EMPIRE RESPONSE NEEDED). The standing army of 30,000 men can be maintained barely. However, many of the soldiers are former seamen and pirates from the Cyclades and Corsica. these men know a fair amount of combat, but are untrained in organisation. Therefore, a military academy is set up in Verona, to properly organise an army, the logistics and develop those methods further, as for example running the logistics and supply routes more efficiently. This military buildup is done due to recent Padanian expansion into the south of Italy. SECRET A line of heavy forts is built along the Padanian-Venetian border, many of them designed to hold out an entire year or more. The towns around these forts will have enforced city walls as well. SECRET END The textile industry recovers slowly. However, more raw materials are needed to sustain a textile production of Venetian quantities. A trading mission is sent to Ireland and Britain, as wool from these regions is known for its high quality. (IRELAND/BRITAIN RESPONSE)
- Hispanic Response: the Empire agrees to offer their hand of support toward the allied Catholic struggle against the Ottomans, a rising and potentially dangerous foreign Islamic power which has now arrived in European soil.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Victor IV invites Venice to be part of the Holy League against the rising Ottoman threat.
- Latin Empire Diplomacy: We wholeheartedly welcome Venice and their skilled veteran army to join the efforts of the crusaders against the Ottoman threats.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: The Wallachian king refuses to have us as a vassal for the Hungarian we settement sending 23,000 men to push it off to against those ennemy to have on vassal and the Ottoman to they send a march on Moldova to liberate it since the Ottoman come at Greece we developed among fortifications, asking by the House of Bassarb which he found it other site of the Carpathian mount they are going to come over it to protect it so what for now they're starting to constructed the wall against the enemy which they are going to come know as the Ottoman purposal that Nicholas is going to declare a war with the side of the Ottoman, for an army of 23,000 men to expansion into the south Bulgarian territory some of villagers around Wallachian call in pray to be safety and continue to developed the main strategy against the Ottoman empire as well, many of them desgined as a week ago and two months done due strategy the Wallachian march come at liberate Bulgaria in Thrace to crush the Ottoman against it particular is a strategy to save the balkan as well Nicholas demands the Jew they are ranking as a Protector of church and villager to save it needed a sustain to developing more most of region in Wallachia are being united to march to liberate Moldava and Bulgaria, also constructed the wall into the border led by Prince Nicholas of Wallachia and the House of the Bassarb.
- Papal States: Pope Victor IV is scared with the news of the expansion of the Ottomans in territories of Thrace. He calls all members of the Holy League to act now to expel these heathen from Eastern Europe. Thinking about the security of the pope and inspired by the creation of an imperial guard in the Holy Roman Empire, the pope decides to create a papal guard. To this, he asks the Central Council of the Swiss Confederacy for an agreement in which the Swiss will create a group of soldiers that will be specially trained to protect the Pope and the Curia [Swiss response needed, please]. Elena Cimorelli continues to refuse the suitors that her mother and brother find for her. Finally with the help of Father Fabozzi, she is able to convince her relatives to allow that Elena live as she wants. Rather than turn into a nun, Elena decides to live an active and prayerful life in a similar way to the beguines of Northern Europe. The number of followers grow and she continues to receive mystic visions. Elena preach about Christ's Infinity Love for Humanity and how he sacrificed Himself for the sinners, she also says that the people must imitate Christ's Love for the others. With the help of Father Fabozzi she is able to write about her visions. After the investigation made by the comission studying the miracles attributed to Matthias and Catharina von Schwanthaler and a revision about their life, the Holy Father considers that there is sufficient reason for their canonization. Then Victor declared both as Saints. He also declares Róbert Arnasson as Blessed, after the commission studying the miracle attributed to him comes to the conclusion that it was authentic. Victor also declares Elizabeth of Portugal, Wencelaus III of Bohemia-Poland, Pope Gregory XI, patriarch Frederico Goikoetxea and Ari Guðmundsson as Venerables due to they having lived a life that was heroic in virtue.
- Swiss Diplomacy: The Central Council accepts this agreement and 2,000 Swiss soldiers, including 1,000 regulars and 1,000 mercenaries, start being trained for this specific purpose.
- Iceland: The population reaches 25,525. The Cardinal of Greenland translates “Ari’s Visions” to Gaelic and offers it to be taught in Ireland. (Irish Response Needed)
- Irish Dip: Yes.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Archduke Charles has been elected as King Charles VII of Germany, Charles now asking to be Crowned King of Italy by the Pope (Pope response). Charles beliving that without papal recognition the emperorship is nothing but a mere title. One of the First acts the Emperor does is Recognising the Duchy of Ermland as part of the empire once more, this is done to reconfirm the recognision given by his Father. While Charles also revokes the rights of John of Lorainne to rule, the duchy of Lorainne. Charles putting the Archduke of Lorainne, on the throne temporarly until a better ruler can be found. Although he knows this action might be unpopular the king of Germany, so the parliament of Mechelen suggests that Lorainne joins the parliament as a full member (Mod Response). Charles also continues with the proces of making some of the royal lands farms, for the royal and imperial court. Charles requesting that the other Lords, counts and dukes do the same and show solidarity with the peasantry. Charles even putting the Recruitment of the Praetorian guard into renewal, by making it so the Emperor will recruit solely from serfs. Paying their masters 25 percent of their salary for five years, after which they will do their duty for another ten years. In these last ten years Loyalty will only be in the emperor whoever it may be, the Emperor having to promise their well being in return for his own protection. The lord of horne Mortimer arrives in Ireland who's lord wished for his 2,000 soldiers and the aid they could give to them. This seen by Mortimer as a Duty to all Gaelics in the world and to the Catholic faith which he feels the english do not adhere to as much as they say they do. In Guelders the Count of Guelders Declines the request of joining the parliament of Mechelen, Charles telling him that he wish that this does not damage the relations between the two peoples. Charles also begins with the Writing of a new document conserning the Navy of Both Lotharingia and the Empire, as a way to make sure Searaiders will never again have power over the Empire. This is done by looking into the possibility to have certain nations make ships which could be used colectively by the empire by an apointed grand admiral. Although in peace the ships would be under control by the nations in which the ships are docked.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Victor IV crowns Charles as Emperor.
- King John of France disputes the action of Emperor Charles, and insists that John of Lorraine be granted the title of Duke as soon as he reaches majority.
- Nyazwe: In the capital of Lusvingo, Akashinga and his loyal ministers gather to make the legal case against their rebels to the assembly of the Hamadzese, doing so to leverage the body's representation of the will of the people to obtain popular support for their war against the rebels. They cite that the rebellions are illegal in every manner conceivable, pointing out that several of the governors illegally accumulated wealth for themselves beyond the modest government salaries afforded to them. A governor could never have gather the sort of money necessary to fund a rebellion unless they had done so illegally. The only way they could have gathered so much wealth for themselves would be if they stole food from the granaries of the people, and sold them off to foreign merchants to gain addition money for their rebellion. Likewise, their claim to not raise soldiers on behalf of the state would fall flat, as it is not within the perview of the civil governors to command troops belonging to the Vakadanwa, to which both the Marshal of the North and the Marshal of the South can atest. Finally, the Marshal of the South reports that the Nguni rebellion in the lands beyond the Limpopo River was usually timed with the rebellion of the governors in the north, and the sudden appearance of iron weapons in the hands of defeated tribals, as well as the vast wealth of the rebels, could only mean that the two forces were connected and plotting for some time to overthrow the central government. With this revelation at hand, the members of the Hamadzese still present for the emergency gathering agree that the rebellion across the nation is indeed illegal, and vote to suppress it with all manner of force available to the Zvakane. All rebellious governors are retroactively sentenced to death, and the armies of the Vakadanwa released to carry out the execution.
Thankfully, the bulk of the military was located outside of the rebelling regions of the country, resting from their recent campaigns in the west. Within the military itself, due to its structure and command hierarchy beyond the power of the regional governors, the warriors of Nyazwe largely remain loyal to the central governor, and refuse to obey orders from the rebel leaders. Hailing from various districts of the country, no misasa hails entirely from any one district, insulating it against the local rebellions it was designed to put down. The War Council of Nyazwe is convened to determine the best course of action to deal with the rebels; the Marshal of the South explains that the majority of his combat units were garrisoned in the cities of Akashinga, Risingabereki, and Tsime, with a large garrison at Huro Yenyoka available for battle with the Nguni in the south. Furthermore, fifteen guruva of cavalry were campaigning in the land south of the Orange River prior to the rebellions, and had recently set up camp outside of Yakakosha for the year to recover. Combined with the two neighboring guruva in Heno Yenyoka and Tsime, this force of 4,165 cavalry can quickly move to put down the bulk of the Nguni rebels who lack horses or the training to ride them. Using a degree of common sense, the commanding ishe of the misasa throughout the south ordered their men to the walls of the loyal cities along the main road leading into the south, keeping the Nguni at bay until reinforcements can arrive. While the Nguni may have gotten their hands on iron thanks to the rebellious governors of the north, they lack the skill needed to use them, and the warriors of Nyazwe take advantage of this at every opportunity available. The supporting infantry units that accompanied the cavalry into the western campaign are assembled in Risingabereki, some twelve misasa or 6,324 troops in strength, while those misasa able to fend off the rebels in their areas make for Kunzwa, ten units strong or 5,270 troops in strength . The force from Risingabereki sweeps north to clear out the Nguni enclaves resisting the central government just south of the Limpopo River, rescuing units stranded along the riverside from attack. They help to clear Lose and Mokopane of rebels, before reaching the river crossing to Thulamela where the rest before moving south for a planned gathering of the southern half of the military at Tsime. The forces located in Kunzwa move west along the road to Mbabane, before swinging south to deal with the central nest of rebels in the Natal region. While the smaller of the two infantry forces, they intend to rescue those four misasa in the various cities in the southwest, as well as a guruva of cavalry which has been successful in probing the rebel forces in the area, and locating the hideout of the Nguni leaders. Up north, the response to the rebellion is much more different. Having suspected for some time that several of his ministers would revolt against his vision of the future and any of his son's more "progressive" alteration to the social fabric of Nyazwe, Akashinga's father Kutonga laid down the foundation for a strong infrastructure within the royal court that would fulfill the role of dealing with traitors to the state. The Maziso Ake which had been laying wait in the shadows of the various cities of the governors move to neutralize the rebels in the name of the Zvakane. Spies serving as cup-bearers, courtesans, bodyguards, midwives, and teachers to the children of the ministers, fan out to begin their grizzly work of punishing the defiant. These governors are poisoned, beaten to death, stabbed in their sleep, trampled to death by cattle at the hands of their handlers, or in the case of one particular governor, led to a river and tossed in with a millstone around his neck, and left to helplessly struggle against the closing darkness below. Leaderless, the rebel ministers serving many of the deceased governors scramble to take whatever action they can against the vengeful ruler, who now marches against them alongside the armies of the north, some 9,000-men strong. Unlike the settlements of the south, the warrior garrisons of the north had abandoned their posts within the city walls to shut the rebels in, and now wait for Akashinga to arrive to relieve from their sieges and lay waste to the rebels. Upon reaching the first rebel city, Akashinga's warriors quickly scale the walls and immediately set about their profession. Any man, woman, and child who does not renounce their allegiance to the rebels is quickly put to the sword as an example to the others, while no quarter is given to those who pushed their fellow countrymen into rebellion. New governors more content with the new system of things in the country, and totally convinced of the policies of the Zvakane are carefully selected and installed in place of the rebellious governors. Several cities are quickly brought back into "civil compliance", and spared further punishment at the hands of their superior authorities. On the civil side of the rebellion, the mutauri which are at this point present in virtually all districts of the country and in embedded at all levels of society, agitate the populace against the rebels, pointing to the missing food in the granaries stolen by the governors, their duplicity in selling weapons to the old Nguni enemies of Nyazwe to attack their fellow countrymen, the instability caused by the rebels across their peaceful homeland, and the audacity of the rebels to upset the new lives of the people. Letters from the various members of the Hamadzese, men who hail from the various communities of the rebels, are read before the public indicating their support for Akashinga, and their words encouragement to resist the traitors and remember their loyalties to the state which brought them more plentiful crops, clean water, security from famines, and fended off the Nguni rebels who once oppressed them. These men give hope by stating that soon the rebellions will be ended and peace returned to the land, but that the battle cannot be won without the help of the people. With the army consisting of warriors from throughout the country, many families once supportive of the rebels flip sides, fearing that their allegiance to the traitors could get their sons killed somewhere as they work to undo the damage of the rebellion. Through these methods, the majority of the inhabitants of Nyazwe are spurred to action against the enemies of the state, and help to disrupt local production of goods being used by the rebels in arms against the loyalist forces of Nyazwe.
- These were full on rebel states you need a direct algo. On top of this you cannot just creatively ignore the fact that no matter what, these nobles have pulled a significant amount of your military manpower outside of your control regardless of the systems you have purported to put into place to stop such a thing. No system is fool proof.
- Swiss Confederacy: As part of the agreement with Pope Victor IV, 2,000 troops, including 1,000 soldiers of the regular joint military and 1,000 mercenaries, start to be trained for the specific purpose of protecting the Pope and the Curia. Additionally, 5,000 troops (3,000 soldiers and 2,000 mercenaries) remain pledged to the Holy League to join the Crusade against the Ottomans as soon as it begins. To ensure that the Swiss Confederacy retains a sufficient amount of troops to guard its own borders while the external efforts of the Swiss Guard and the Holy League are underway (and the Black Death had already reduced the number of available soldiers), the domestic government funds numerous recruiters to recruit new soldiers for the joint military as well as new mercenaries. The joint military also does some work on improving the fortifications of the city of Schwyz, the seat of the Central Council and the de facto capital of the Swiss Confederacy. The Canton of Zürich sends an envoy to the town of Grüningen, asking them to join the Canton of Zürich as they have been benefiting from a defensive alliance with Zürich since 1346 and Zürich also provided them protection and aid during the devastation of the Black Death. (Mod response) Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli calls on other nearby states to contribute soldiers to the Holy League's Crusade against the Ottomans. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg has a daughter named Agnes (b. 1354), his third surviving child after Heinrich II (b. 1344) and Johanna (b. 1347). The new trade alliance with the County of Savoy boosts the wool, linen and lumber industries in the Confederacy which had stagnated during the Black Death period.
- Gruningen agrees to join Zurich.
- Kingdom of Eiru: Tighearnach travels to the Hill of Tara in accordance with his plan and following in footsteps of his ancestors declares himself High King of Eiru and declares war on the Kingdom of England. Tighearnach sends envoys to the King of Scotland and Gaelic lords of Wales encouraging them to also take back control from the European immigrants in the form of the Norman aristocracy in favour of a Gaelic Britain. (Mod response). Tighearnach also proclaims his intention to rule as the High Kings of old with the individual Kings beneath him exercising suzerainty over their own land. While Tighearnach travels to the Hill of Tara, Edmund Mortimer son of the 1st Earl of Marches and significant Welsh lord takes five ships loaded with 250 Irish longbow men and 250 Lotharingian men at arms between them and sails from Dublin to Gwynedd landing his force between the villages of Trefor and Dinas Dinlle before the ships return to Dublin while Mortimer heads into the mountains of the region of Snowdonia to wage a guerrilla war against the English attempting to cut off by land the English castles on Welsh coast and attempting to make cause with northern Gaelic nobility to join him and attack English rule in Wales. Tighearnach leaves 500 Lotharingian soldiers to hold a fully stocked Dublin castle while he takes the remaining 1,250 Lotharingian soldiers and 750 soldiers of his own toward Athlone and calls on all the Kings of Ireland to help him resist the invasion by fortifying the major ports and to wage a guerrilla war against the English who invade their lands elsewhere. (Mod response). Tighearnach intends to employ a Fabian strategy by avoiding a pitched battle unless firmly on their own terms with terrain advantage and field fortifications in place. Instead of a pitched battle if the English attempt to siege a castle the Irish raid their supply lines and hit their foraging parties and if they pursue the army the Irish draw them to the centre of Ireland away from the coast and their opportunity for resupply while moving around within the centre of Ireland wearing down their supplies and if they retreat harassing their rear.
- Some of the march lords in Wales agree to help Ireland with 1,500 troops.
- The Irish kings help to defend Ireland.
- Jarldom of Vinland: The jarl issues the equality army royal decree which recives wide spread support fom the women, the decree makes it legal and acceptable for women to join the army, this is done both as a gesture to the heir apparants and in an effort to get new recruits to the cavalry. Horses are trained for harsher climate to improve their mobility in snow and ice. The first Beothuk-Vinlandic child is born this year to Commander Arne Vinlid and his Beothuk wife. This event starts a debate in the parliament about Beothuk equality but the vote is vetoed by the jarl.
- Latin Empire of Romania: Following the successful creation of the Holy League, and the notable Ottoman advances in Thrace, Emperor William reaches out to John V of the Byzantine Empire, proposing a complex marriage alliance between the Latin Empire and the Byzantines, to counter the Ottoman influence. In the proposal, which is negotiated by Thomas Pichon, John V's young daughter, Irene Palaiologina, shall be betrothed to Richard de la Roche, heir to the Latin Empire. Any issue they might have down the road is to be recognized as a part of the line of succession to the Byzantine throne - after the young Andronikos IV (until Andronikos has issue himself). In exchange, the two nations will enter into an alliance against the Ottoman Turks and will cease formal hostilies with a recognition of current borders (Mod Response). Assuming the acceptance, Emperor William announces a declaration of war against the Ottomans. He calls upon the Holy League and the Latin League to join in the war, and draws inspiration from Pope Victor IV's call for a holy war. As a crusader empire, on the realms of Christendom, we proceed to amass a large army of approximately 20,000 troops. These troops come from across the Empire, but are largely drawn from Athens and Achaea, the core constituents of the nation. Additional troops come from Epirus, but this area having only recently defended from the Serbian threat cannot contribute as many regulars as otherwise. Instead, this role falls upon the Greeks of Thessalonica - who appear interested in taking up arms in mass numbers to protect their ethnic brethren in the Byzantine Empire. When the time for a great battle arrives, alongside our allies, we have already constructed a number of defensive fortifications (such as spike-filled ditches to ensnare the charging Turkish cavalry). Our greatest veterans from the last war are brought to lead this current cohort of troops, and Emperor William himself is seen on the field of battle - recognizing the importance of defending this realm in terms of maintaining his own realm and of Christendom in general.
- This comprihensive alliance is accepted by Emperor John V.
- Federation of Padinia: With the defeat at both sieges the efforts are increased with an additional 5,000 base troops being allocated to both as well as 5,000 mercenaries being split between the two, bringing the total count of both sieges to 20,000 men. The siege is continued. (Algo needed). The ships are sent to blockade the Dardanelles and Hellespont in order to stop Ottoman reinforcements from arriving. Loans are offered to any Christian nation who needs assistance against the Ottomans. Secret: Four different of the most elite Assassins of the Florentine guild of Assassins are sent to eliminate the Ottoman Sultan whoever returns having proof of his death shall be granted the title of Master Assassin of Florence (Pastatown). (Mod Response needed on success).
- 'Poland-Lithuania: Stanislaw I agrees to the Sejm requests will rule in according to their advice. He also begins administrative and land reforms continuing the sales of land not directly needed by the crown for military, administrative, economic, or agricultural reasons. He issues the Edict of Warsawa reorganizing the lands of Poland, Lithuanian and Ruthenia into smaller voivods each with their own local sejm made up of the three estates. Each of the local sejm will be resposible for providing the taxes and levies required by the National Sejm and crown in Poland, and in the case of Lithuania those required by the crown, in exchange these local cantons will allowed to manage their own affairs with only routine Crown inspection carried out by agents of the crown. The Mercedines are granted the right to expand their operations in Lithuania and Galicia providing spiritual guidance and medical assistance to the communities there and are allowed to preaches to the Pagan communities. However, he forbids any violence real or implied toward any of his non-Catholic subjects. He extends the rights of the Jewish communities living in his realm granting them the right to purchase property in the cities and engage in various economic activities primarily banking and trade while providing crown protection in exchange for help in stimulating trade and helping manage the finances of the crown to allow for greater independence from the HRE. Stanislaw I continues to invest in the construction of roads and bridges to better connect his realms and allow for better logistics and trade. The young prince Wladyslaw begins being tutored to read and write as well being taught about god by the Mercedine priests. Military reforms continue as Stanislaw I puts a greater emphasis on cavalry expanding Poland's light Cavalry to mirror his own Lithuanian cavalry to better deal with the horse acrhers of the horde and Muslims and to counter Rus' light cavalry in skirmishes and to carry out counter skirmishes if needed. He, however, commits to retaining the infantry levies of free peasents. He also retains a 5,000 heavy infantry as his royal guard made up of both Lithuanians and Poles. Horse husbandry in Lithuania becomes and increasingly important activity specially in the south and in the north of Galicia as the demand for horses grows. Stanislaw I toward the end of the year decides to make good on his word and goes on Pilgrimage to Rome but not before leaving Elizabeth pregnant in Warsawa. He orders his sons Andrzej and Dimitry to lead 10,000 light cavalry and 5,000 infantry to assist in the Holy League in the war against the Ottomans. 'The cavalry assaults the Ottoman horse archers due to their speed and ferosity to allow the League infantry and heavy cavalry to assault the enemy forces without having to worry about the mobile archers. The 5,000 infantry will work in conjunction with HOly League forces in seiges and battle.
- Japanese Empire: This year the mint finally enters into full scale production as Silver and Gold coins enter into circulation now as proper currency of the Empire. These gold and silver coins enter into every facet of society in terms of currency exchange finally having replaced the usual issue of Barter and rice economy. While it is expected to take years to fully permeate to domestic economy, the ability to trade with foreign nations increases as Trade with China and Korea skyrocket as the ability to trade much more directly in currency allows for much smoother change of hands for product. Trade with China continues to rise noticeably as some mainland ports finally begin to open again and trade flows through. The scale of devastation on many of these areas is noticeable and many merchants are horrified of the stories of what occured in China. These stories consequently pass back to the homeland which showcase how lucky Japan has been to not be completely leveled by this catastrophy. The home army is once again back at full strength as it reaches 20,000 once again. The expansion into Southern Sakhalin continues as a wave of settlers organize some plots of land heading farther north and the small port on the southern tip has effectively become the most main point of extrance and exit for the island. The population of the island under Japanese control is estimated at about 5,000 with about 1,000 being Japanese and the rest being amenable locals who have opted to throw in their lot with the Japanese. After the failure of attacks on the Japanese settlement many now lying within Japanese claimed territory have moved farther north away from the settlements. Hokkaido also sees its own population having grown to roughly 35,000 this year as many families fleeing to encroaching enclosure movement move to the large northern islands. Sapporo is noted to half nearly half the population here but lack of imperial investment and local development has turned parts of the city into clear slums which the city administrator begins looking on how to tackle. The final islands in the Kuril chain are claimed and small outposts are established by explorers who look to chart the islands and map our their resources and possible usefulness. The census is launched this year and there seems to be a marketed increase in population. As all the homeland provinces report it the population of Japan proper including Hokkaido is roughly 8.7 million and growing. The population of Manchuria is noted to be low at only 25,000 while Sakhalin stands at about 5,000 total. The Land survey system is finally implemented in the Capital region as farms effectively have their taxes redone to reflect their true contribution to both the tax system as well as their manpower to the National levy. This shows a noted increase in efficiency for taxation as well as increasing the number of men available to the military by about 6,000. bringing total manpower to nearly 71,000. The roadway network continues its construction with its Southern leg in Kyushu completed and the Shikoku elements being close to completed as well. With expected completion next year, the Imperial roadway network is expected to cover the whole of the home islands with the exception of Hokkaido in which plans to develop the roadways there will not take place until the population grows a bit more and the provinces becomes a bit more productive toward the empire at large. The Kensei order continues to grow in its temple in the countryside now having reached nearly 100 practicitioners as the Ronin take about three months to meditate, and conduct peacekeeping in the region which has shown marketed decrease in law breaking and baditry as the stories of wandering ronin serving with honor and as keepers of the peace begin to spread making the area a difficult one to target as a much more highly trained swordsman may likely make short work of many thieves and bandits in the area.
- Empire of Hispania: As the plague begins to subside, the death toll begins to be realised for how truly significant it was mainly in extended regions of the imperial circle such as Sardinia and Sicily. The various spanish villages outside of Cagliari and important areas of the island are left nearly untouched by the plague, although the same can't be said for the residents of the port areas where death tolls neared 50 percent while various other port areas on the island virtually left ghost towns. Cagliari continues to report fewer plague victims while the curfews established is lifted along with the quarantine. Within Iberia, the plague also has left its mark across Catalonia with Barcelona having half of its population, a tragedy unlike any other but the Spanish remain vigilant and blessed that the horror which had nearly consumed them has vanished for now. The Medical School of Toledo records and secures various copies of data recorded from the era of pestilence. With the Moroccan exit from the Spanish Sphere, preparation for war is made with the blockade of Morocco being set in motion while 30,000 men of the Imperial Army arrive in Spanish Morocco to organize with archers, cavalry, and siege weapons to lead an assault on Fes and Rabat in order to bring down the traitorous head of state. Francisco leads the orders made in North Africa as a result. In North Africa, Francisco along his journey to The outskirts of Fes arrives in Tangiers and falls in love with a Spanish Moroccan, the niece of the sultan of Morocco and a Christian convert, Alhea. She, alongside her new romantic ally, strategize a plan to overthrow and seize the rule of Morocco led by the Hispanic Army and Moroccan Christian forces. In Iberia, Alfonso leads 16,000 of his men to assist the forces guarding Valencia using the cavalry to flank the Union forces while from the fortifications archers and infantry would establish a united effort beforehand in which they would use flaming arrows and other flammable substances and even grenades to send the men into disarray. This will allow for a more efficient flanking maneuver while also crushing the rebellion.Fearing the threat of further conspiracy against the crown, a purge would be conducted charging those associated directly with the Union of Valencia with death as a result of a charge of treason. The movement has already caused enough instability of lower Catalonia.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: With the death of Emperor Hạo of the Trần Dynasty, Prince Chinh ascends to the throne of the Kingdom with dreams of an empire. He begins his reign by ordering the development of roads throughout the Kingdom all leading through Hanoi. His Kingdom consist of a population numbering at about 3,060,000 with a levy of 22,950 strong. Emperor Chinh also orders the planning of reinforcements and improvements to the levees already in place but does not yet implement it with the main focus of the laborers being dedicated to road expansion. He raises a fourth of his levy and orders them to patrol the Kingdom's road in an attempt to ensure safe trade through his Kingdom as well as to serve as message couriers for his decrees as he begins to conduct reforms to the Imperial Examination system mainly by removing the portion that requires specific quotes from classical text drawing the ire of officials across the Kingdom. In an attempt to curb the growing unrest from officials regarding his reforms to the examinations, Emperor Chinh orders the implementation of the mandatory oaths for all officials to the Emperor professing loyalty and purity and uses the already raised levies to ensure and witness the officials oaths to keep them bound by honor to him.
Emperor John V demands that the Pope should respect the integrity of the Byzantine Empire, and insists that the Crusader military should not remain on Roman lands for any long period of time. Furthermore, he says that any reclaimed Turkish territory should be ceded back to the Empire.
Pope Victor IV dies of natural causes. A new pope has to be elected by the College of Cardinals.
With the assassination of Sultan Orhan of the Ottoman Empire, the Sultanate falls into a civil war with Suleyman seizing control of the coast near Gallipoli at the city of Cyzicus, and the rest assumed by his younger brother Murad, in alliance to his youngest brother Ibrahim. Suleyman takes command of the remaining military retreating from Thrace while Murad raises a far larger army at home, which he sends to Cyzicus to capture Suleyman.
Due to the collapse of infrastructures across Europe as a result of previous events of plagues and famines, the Holy Roman Empire effectively loses all authority over Italy, causing the various Italian nobility, republics, and soverign cities to all act as de-facto independent states. This does not affect the Emperor's official title as "King of Italy", unless the Emperor decides to change that.
In Zimbabwe, the ministers of the Mwena Mutape clans have risen in open revolt against the Nyazwe monarch, effectively not contributing their military to the ongoing conflict against the Nguni people. The Mutape had formed an alliance with the ministers in charge of the administration of Nyazwe military. As such, the national military of the empire is under the control of the Mutape, while the monarch commands the personal retainers and royal guards under his direct control. The Mutape continue to recognize the monarch of Nyazwe's legitimacy, but they just insist on their own autonomy as feudal nobility.
King Alfonso IV of Portugal is severely displeased with his son Peter indulging with his wife Inez, who he had adulterous relations with years earlier while his late wife Conteza was still alive. The King sends three knights who kidnaps Inez, and has her decapitated in front of her children. Enraged, Peter raises his own military in revolt against his father.
The Hispanic army invading Morocco suffers severe outbreak of Bubonic plague in Ceuta, and is forced to withdraw.
In Venice, the Doge Andrea Dandolo is accused by the Council of Ten of trying to coup the Venetian government under his direct control.
Scotland revolts against English domination of their land, supporting the rebellion in Ireland.
The wife of King Louis of Arles dies, so he looks for a new wife to continue the House of Anjou over Arles.
A major riot occurs in Oxford, England on Saint Scholastica's Day, caused by a quarrel between two students over the relative quality of wine served from two different taverns. (I wish I was making this up).
In the city of Florence discontent begins to grow among the laborers and artisan population, who lack representation in the city government compared to the established patricians of the city, and even more so in the nation as a whole. Violence breaks out when a group of artisans, suffering under a high tax burden and barred from the region's guilds, take up arms against the elite. Declaring a new republic, the artisans unite behind a leader named Niccolò Landi, however, his government becomes influenced by a shadow government nicknamed "The Seven Saints". The republic also allies itself with the nations of Sienna and Grosseto.
A nobleman named Cassono della Torre, a direct descendant of the last Torriani Lords of Milan, becomes a famed Condottieri of the newly founded Black Company. Although unknown in Milanese politics, Cassono forms a secret alliance with two leading nobles in the city, Opicino Spinola and Piero de' Bardi, secretly desiring to claim a place at the head of the Milanese government.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Empire slowly recovers from the outbreaks of plague in Beri. However, largely in part to the quarantine of the infected in the city, the spread of the plague soon slows and altogether stops. The bodies of the infected are placed on a boat. The boat is then lit on fire and cast into the sea. With the plague over, the Emperor continues to improve the Chewa system and the new policy of settling the Chewa on newly conquered lands in lieu of payment. The forts built by the Chewa to consolidate their hold on the new territories serve as the basis of Imperial control in the region, and the Emperor sends Imperial governors to each fort to solidify Imperial control. Additionally, government bureaucrats are sent to each fort, specifically to conduct a census of the Chewa. Each Chewa family is expected to send all boys from age ten to 20 to the fort each year after the harvest and the planting seasons are finished. The boys train at the fort in the arts of warfare, helping hone in their skills. WIth the Mali Empire opening itself up to trade again, the trade route that made Ethiopia prosperous in the past opens up once more. The trade offers from Mali are accepted and trade caravans begin traveling from Ethiopia to Mali once more. The Ethiopian monastic order the Order of St. Anthony continues to gain Ethiopian clergyman, and they establish more monasteries in newly conquered Muslim lands, helping to Christianize the area and preaching the word of Christ. The Ethiopian road network is maintained and improved upon, while the Ethiopian fleet continues to build itself up.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. Although Nalhen hadn't received the aid from Auicamine since the Empire has turned the tide of battles, having stalemated both frontlines prior to the Mixtec siege of Tenochtitlan, Cazonci Nalhen receives a messenger stating that Feud'hua had been killed in battle, and that the tide of war was going against them once more. The main reason for Nalhen having not accepted Auicamine's help yet was due to his inability to kill his son, someone whom he loved the most in the world. However, after hearing about Feud'hua's death in Xalisco and the Mixtec having captured the remaining coast, Nalhen decided. Izel's Church of Huit'zi'lichial is burnt down, with Izel being martyred, and Nalhen kills Eztli, his first son, while he slept. Upon the death of Eztli, the Earth is said to have shook violently, cracking the surface ever-so slightly. The next day, it was discovered by Tarascan warriors that a thunderstorm had mysteriously erupted in the Xalisco and Mixtec lands, and that it had set a number of infrastructure on fire. Upon the Siege of Tenochtitlan, it is said that the goddess Auicamine herself had arose from the ground itself, eliminating all Mixtec forces, with the nail in the coffin being Tlatoani Tupac's death in battle. Upon the next offensive campaign in the Mixtec territority, it is believed that the Empire would never lose a battle in this second offensive attack, as they begin re-claiming and re-integrating occupied territory. Cazonci Manauia of the Xalisco confederation dies due to some mysterious illness this year, his successor being his six-year old son, which starts a civil war between the city-states that structure the confederation between them. With the Mixtec in retreat and Xalisco facing their own separate civil war, Cazonci Nalhen weeps over his lost son.
- Nyazwe: Akashinga meets with the representatives of the Hamadzese to discuss the treasonous actions of War Minister Unathi waBandile, and his alliance with the self-declared lords of the newly-established "Mwena Mutape" clans. While the war minister cannot direct troops without the approval of Akashinga, and both marshals for the two regional branches of the military are his sons, Akashinga does not want to risk harming the civil and military structure of Nyazwe for political expediency, and instead convenes with the body of the Hamadzese to determine the best course of action. The rebel leaders are found to be wealthy members of several communities in the north near the Zambezi River, and had for some time been allowed to manage themselves in a region deemed to be "safe" by the government in Lusvingo. Years of operating without any oversight put the idea into their heads that they were lords in their own right, having the power to govern the land of their district outside the authority of their duly-appointed governor. While the two marshals will gladly ignore the ramblings of a rebel minister to support their father in crushing the rebel forces, Akashinga instead sees an opportunity for reform that will benefit for the country as a whole, and neutralize the threat of the rebel forces without bloodshed. With only a small entourage at his back, Akashinga rides out to gathering place of the rebel leaders to discuss terms of agreement with them that will be of benefit to both sides. Throughout much of the following week, Akashinga and the rebels iron out a deal that will acknowledge their ancestral rights to their homes and lands, with compensation for their role in helping to administer the land coming in the form of their being compensated financially as state officials, and the protections offered as such. In return, these men will acknowledge the traditional custom of Shona chieftains renouncing forever all power over warriors belonging to the state, and adhering to the established hierarchy of Nyazwe. None of them shall be punished as traitors, and their right to life acknowledged by the Zvakane, who shall himself take no part in harming them. To ensure their rights are protected, both Akashinga and the rebel chiefs agree to restructure the Hamadzese to allow for the men of their districts to have the right to send a member of their community to Lusvingo to voice their concerns to the Zvakane, and help influence policies effecting their region of the empire, so as to prevent any future rebellions of this sort from taking place. Akashinga thanks the rebels for hosting him and reaffirming their loyalties to the the ruler, and not taking up arms against their fellow countrymen. He requests that they put aside their issues for the time being, and join him in dealing with their old Nguni foes in the south, who have begun to attack the citizens of Nyazwe. He states that while they may have their issues with his leadership of the country, he begs that they remember their loyalties to the people, and put aside their grudges to help save their fellow citizens from the blade of the Nguni savages. There will be time to further resolve their issues with the state, but in the meantime, duty calls for those men to fight against the invaders. Many of these men having been in battle alongside Akashinga during their collective youths, riding alongside him as they punished the Nguni for their intransigence, are swayed to take up arms with him and fight the Nguni in the south. Upon their agreement to the reforms, Akashinga and his men gather the armies together for their invasion and reconquest of the south, with hopes of dealing with the rebel menace before the south falls to them.
- The Mutape consider the conditions of the Nyazwe unacceptable, as they will retain thier own autonomous militaries outside of Imperial control. Furthermore, many ministers are not of Shona culture and cannot accept the traditional custom of Shona chieftains
- 'Kingdom of Dai Viet: Emperor Chinh starts the year by appointing trustworthy, loyal officials as his advisors for war, diplomacy, intelligence, economy, and internal security. He orders the creation of a small security force that in turn pays citizens for criminals with justifiable violations of the laws (witnesses, evidence, etc.). The raised levies (5,500 approx.) are retasked to serve as security in the capitol of Hanoi and its surrounding regions. Emperor Chinh further reforms the examination system by removing the step by step test of classical text while they are still mandatory reading, only the intent and purpose of the text is required for testing with further attempts at reformation of the examination system being put on hold for now. Construction on the roads has been hampered with a portion of the laborers being shifted toward building forts, traps, obstructions, and concealed hideouts throughout the Kingdom. One-third of the military officers are ordered to plan and organize a defense for a potential invasion from the Kingdom's enemies from any direction. The plans for the levees are put on hold indefinitely in light of other priorities and the lack of laborers. Another one-third of the officers are secretly put to work planning out an offensive against the southern Kingdom of Champa with the advisors for war and intelligence overseeing the planning. The advisors for intelligence and diplomacy are tasked with making diplomatic contact with China (China response) and the Kingdom of Champa (Mod Response) and noting weaknesses/gather intelligence on both.' The remaining officers are assigned to train and equip the portions of the levies still raised to bring them up to professional standards with an estimate one to two years for training and equipping. Blacksmiths across the Kingdom are commissioned to manufacture weapons and armor with the funds coming out of royal coffers and one-third of the iron from the mines being set aside for use by the blacksmiths and other craftsmen in the states employ with the other two-thirds being rationed in its distribution which upsets farmers who are now forced to pay higher cost for tools. One-fifth of food production is ordered to be sent to storage depots across the Kingdom, ready to be used whenever the Emperor should demand it, upsetting the farmers even further. In an attempt to pacify the hostile populace, the Emperor becomes a patron to entertainment acts across the kingdom that depict him in a good light and orders the construction of the first gladiatorial arena outside of Hanoi for criminals and lawbreakers to fight in at the pleasure of the public. The Emperor also places an order of 50 ships to the shipbuilders guild estimated to be done within 6-7 years. To ensure the best for his soldiers, Emperor Chinh provides patronage to scholars/alchemist who are currently experimenting with gunpowder which holds immense promise in its future potential.
- Champa cautiously accepts peace from Vietnam, but generally distrusts the Tran Dynasty and considers them a long-standing rival.
- Papal States: With the death of Pope Victor IV, Cardinal-Secretary Niccolò Capoci destroys his Fisher's ring. The body of the deceased pope is buried in the crypt of the Basilica of Saint Peter. The victory of the Holy League over the Ottomans is celebrated across the Papal States. Masses are celebrated were the Te Deum is sung. Cardinal Capoci makes the preparations for the Conclave and the newly created Swiss Guard will make the security. The first war ship produced in the Papal States is make in the port of Ostia. This galley is inferior to those produced in Venice, but will be used to help the war in the Eastern Mediterranean. Cardinal Capoci writes to the Byzantine Emperor telling him that Pope VIctor is dead and that he, as cardinal, don't have authority over the Holy League. He says that after the Conclave the new pope will answer him and asks the participation of the Byzantines in the efforts of the League to defeat the Ottomans, this way helping end this conflict more quickly [MOD response needed, please]. Elena Cimorelli continues her works of charity with the poor of Ostia. She have formed a group of lay woman that is named "Workers of Charity". Elena's visions continues and she is being teached in how to write by Father Fabozzi, this way she'll be able to write her visions herself. Encouraged by Father Fabozzi, Elena will tell about her visons and ask for the approval of the new pope after the Conclave. While the cardinals enter in the Lateran Palace for the Conclave, the people pray for the future of the Christendom
- Emperor John V concedes to support the crusaders fight the Ottomans as long as the new Bishop of Rome will respect his demands. Until then, the Byzantine military directly requests the Holy League commanders to relocate their military encampments to nearby Latin states instead of Thrace.
- .Voidevodeship of Wallachia: Nicholas heard that we should not be crusading in Byzantine territory. Instead, we should be crusading in the Thrace Mountains. Most of the council senda an army of 60,000 to push it off the Ottomans against to vassalized Moldova's principility and protecting the other nation in the balkan peninsula anyway for now the villager are developing a herd wall for their own animal, to developing foods and such trade (also steak which is requiable) for healthy to people,as for now in the council Prince Nicholas founda the eastern church orthodox metropolis of the urgu-Wallachian as up in the battle ravaged in Thrace the soldier of the voivode launch herds at the Ottomans one of them are accrosing on their frotress and occupied a Wallachian ar.ulaunch cannon fire and which is result an explosion on the frotress one of them launch herd on Ottomans march The council senda 20,000 Wallachian army to push it off the march of Ottoman lead by the sultan led by mehmed II and the army by Prince Nicholas for what know most of them launch cannon fire on the Ottomans and one continue to occupied to hostaging the Islamic empire dynasty as well at holy victory the Ottomans were defeat by Prince Nicholas Alexander pray up for the future of the Christendom by the way the Ottomans are going to leave, the territory of Thrace and the Wallachian continue to fight it at the north Alexander celebrate a happy victory to them but suddenly most of Ottomans survivor still ravaged in Thrace and the battle still hostiling toward to the Islamic empire, and many of people continue developing this strategy to protect the byzantin empire from Constanipole. Wallachia would like to send some of those troops join in Greece to help the Papal State. (player response)
- Papal Diplomacy: Cardinal-Secretary Niccolò Capoci accepts the help offered by Wallachia.
- .Jarldom of Vinland: *The jarl issues a battle order and decided to attack the Beohukians once more, in an attempt to push the back even more. (algo needed) With another victory for Vinland, the population reaches 6,032 persons which is lavislhy celebrated throughout the country. Once more the parliament attempts to vote for the Beothuk equality bill which gains 11 out of 13 votes being signed into law by the jarl. This law makes it possible for Beothuks to stand for office and hold public offices. (mod response needed)
- Federation of Padinia: With the Victory in Sienna the 20,000 soldiers of Padinia return home and announce their support for the Condotori, Cassono Della Torre. Cassono lays claim to the City of Milan having premeditated this with Spinola and Medici families. However, every other family quickly brings their power to bear on him. The forces that were laying siege to Arezzo break the siege and return home splitting sides. Numbers estimates are about 25,000 on each side. With the Personal guards of Spinola remaining to defend Genoa and the Personal guards of Medici working to eliminate the rogue element in Florence. Cassono quickly hires more troops from Southern Germany from what many fear is a money pool that has been built up for centuries. The Numbers reach 35,000 and the first battle begins. Being the tactical genius he is Cassono Della Torre sets a trap for the 25,000 forces with a backflanking force of 15,000 and his main force trapping them into a hammer and anvil situation in the forests outside of Milan. He baits them into this trap by using a Milanese Councilman Antonio De’ Medici to spread word of Della Torre’s forces being split up and encouraging them to engage. (Algo needed). Secret: Following the succesful assassination of the Ottoman Sultan, Giancarlo De’ Medici is named the Sceptre, and Master Assassin of Florence. End secret. In Florence the secret government of the Seven Saints begins to cause more drama in Florence with a large number of brawls breaking out and multiple random people dying of a large variety of causes.
- Iceland: The population reaches 25,775. The Cardinal of Greenland writes a fictional story and marks the beginning of Iceland fictional literature, the Archbishop of Reykjavík writes one and a shopkeeper in Akureyri writes three and the king likes them so much he makes the man Governor of Hrísey. The new President of Parliament is Henrik Hermannsson a delegate from Akranes. A bride is requested from the ruling Scottish Dynasty to marry the heir to the Icelandic Kingdom (Mod Response Needed).
- The Scottish king's daughter Agnes moves to Iceland.
- Republic of Venice: In a spectacular coup the new Doge is kicked out of office by the Council with Senate backing and General Mastino della Scala is elected as the new Doge. This entrenches the Lords of Verona as one of the major families of the Republic once and for all. As a man of the military, the new Doge joins the Holy league and sends 8,000 men of his most skilled men and seasoned officer staff to Thrace. Parts of the army have much experience of fighting light cavalry the Turks and Mongolians use from their time in Crimea. However, the navy in Crete is prepared to annihilate the Ottoman fleet at the Aegean, and 200 large war ships are sent there to destroy any Ottoman navy in the area. (NAVAL ALGO, PLEASE). On these ships cannons and trebuchets with flaming projectiles. The army sets of from Rhodes, and then is sent to the Cyclades from where 1,000 are sent to free Smyrna to reinforce the army there and to set up the defensive structures that were used in Caffa and Kerch, namely the trenches filled with spikes with Friesian horses in front of them, to bait the horsemen into jumping into the trenches. The trenches have worked fairly well in Crimea, so this time they are modified with even deeper trenches and better hiding, for example by constructing them right behind smaller hills. With these constructions, the horseman could see the trenches just when it is too late and then would run into the friesian horses. Despite the enforcements in Smyrna, the navy is the most active part of the Venetian forces, aiding Milan in the blockade and going on active search-and-destroy missions. The textile industry of Venice continues to flourish, so do the shipping and glass industry. The fortification program along the Venetian-Milanese border continues, and with it a large economic boom in the North Italian countryside occurs. The states around Venice proper, nominally only vassals of the republic, undergo a political transformation initiated by the Senate. The new program would install a federation in a similar fashion that Padinia has, where every small vassal elects Signiori, who will then function as representatives to the Senate. This will assure the loyalty of the vassals, while the previously existing power structures will not be upset. Another part of the reforms is the expansion of voting rights to artisans who can now participate more directly in the guilds, forming loose political factions in the Senate.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Emperor Charles seeing the issue's with Italian states of the empire, So Charles invites all Italian states in the Empire to the Special Council of Verdun (Venice, Millan, Swiss, Mod response). Charles Proposing to now fully defend all lands in the kingdom of Italy, and to provide Financial rights. These rights being the right of own taxation and tolling, inside and outside the empire. Charles also promising better representation and protection from external forces, The emperor even promising to give new technologies to the empire when Requested. One of the best liked technologies being gunpower, which is able to breach castles and other fortifications easier. Charles and the Archduchy of Lotharingia using this technology a lot in the 3,000 soldier big Herzog's armee, which is a more profesional army which is paid by taxes. The Parliament of Malines supporting this as the army has to swear an oath to both the archduke and the Heyst constitution. This being a compremise between the Archduke and Parliament, as otherwise the Parliament would not allow the funding to the Army. This army being a force completely based upon merit, instead of on Birth and their rank in society. This Profesional army looking very alike the Praetorian guard for the emperor, which is a 500 strong personal guard. Their duty being the Defense of the Emperor, his family and no one else, they do their duty Loyaly as to gain their freedom. As after 20 years they will become free people, more then ever are or could be before. In the Northsea as a strategy to force the english navy out, the Imperial Brabantine navy begins to patrol. Although costly, the Archduke recognises the need in this action for doing so, as he seems himself as knowing a better king for the English then their current one. While due to the Current situations with Lorainne and the House of Valois, the Emperor and Archduke Changes his support to the House of Capet. This is done as the House of Valois could not accept the removal of a insane leader from the throne of Lorainne, which the Emperor had to do to prevent greater trouble.
- A couple NPC italian sates attend the Diet of Verdun.
- Swiss Diplomacy: The Central Council of the Swiss Confederacy sends an envoy to Verdun, specifically from the Canton of Sion, the canton closest to Italy.
- Swiss Confederacy: Hearing of Louis of Anjou, King of Arles looking for a new wife, Ulrich VI von Lenzburg sends an envoy to Arles, proposing a marriage between Louis and Ida von Lenzburg (b. 1336), the daughter of Ulrich's brother Wilhelm (b. 1316), hoping to obtain a political alliance between the Swiss Confederacy and the Kingdom of Arles out of this marriage. (Mod response) Ulrich VI also sends an envoy to Victor Capet, proposing a marriage between Victor's daughter Margaret Capet (b. 1335) and Ida's brother Gottfried (b. 1338). (Mod or papal response) After discussions in the Central Council, the Canton of Schwyz sends an envoy to Count Frederick V of Toggenburg, suggesting that Toggenburg join the Confederacy as this will allow them to receive greater aid to recover from the devastation of the Black Death and give them defensive benefits against Habsburg or Hungarian aggression. As the Count of Toggenburg's territory is currently split into two geographically separated parts, the main northern portion (including Uznach and the county seat of Lichtensteig) would be administered as the Canton of Toggenburg and the southern portion (including the OTL League of Ten Jurisdictions minus the still-independent villages of St. Peter, Langwies and Klosters) would become part of the adjacent Canton of Chur. Frederick V and future Counts would remain the governor of the Canton of Toggenburg and represent it in the Central Council, and he would receive monetary compensation for the southern portion that would be administered from Chur. (Mod response) The 5,000 Swiss troops pledged to the Holy League continue to follow the rest of the Crusader military. Meanwhile, the 2,000 troops pledged to become the Swiss Guard continue training, mainly in a rural area of the Canton of Lucerne, and hope to head to the Papal States in the next year. Domestically, the government works on recruiting peasants to be lumberjacks to give the Confederacy more building materials and potential trade goods.
- King Louis of Arles accepts the marriage.
- Victor Capet accepts the marriage.
- Toggenburg joins the confederacy.
- Mali Empire: With the Trans-African silk road having been fully restored, Mansa Ayyob secured the same vast revanue of the empire enjoyed by the days of his father Musa. Ayyob has two adult sons at this point from his previous wives, the oldest named Mustafa and the younger named Idris. Mansa Ayyob writes to his trade partner, the Emperor of Ethiopia, asking if he has any daughters he would wish to marry into the Keita Dynasty. General Baraq Al-Shams continues to integrate the people on the coastal region of Jabal Asada. Across the empire, Manding secret societies continue to promote Mandike culture that helps integrate local peoples into the Empire, particularly in Kanem, Nigeria and Gao. The navy is fully reconstructed at this time, and the empire re-establishes sea trade up to Morocco and Hispania at this time. Having fully established the road and supply systems implemented by his father, Ayyob greatly enlarges the size of the Mali imperial military, giving the emperor more direct control over foreign expeditions than in previous generations. This is also mostly done from the southern and central provinces, where the Emperor assumed the military of the former feudal lords who were in rebellion. The military is also augmented with more proper siege weapons at this time, particularly gunpowder weapons imported from Spain. Mali did not manufacture their own weapons yet at this time, except for one small armory recently established in Timbuktu. Mansa Ayyob believes that the vital trade of Mali could be used not just as a dependency for the empire, but a tool as well. Mali must use a strong arm to properly control the growing regional powers of Nigeria. Therefore, the Mali Empire declares that all pagan nations must pay an annual tribute to the Mali Empire of 30 Mithqals of gold and 100 slaves, in order to have the privilage of buying or selling to the empire. Both Islamic and Ahl Al-Kitab (Christian or Jewish) people are exempt from this edict. [Oyo and Mod RESPONSE]. Meanwhile, Abu Yunus began gathering a large following of disciples at the city of Timbuktu, the center of learning and philosophy in Mali. In addition to his condemnation of the Caliphate and the Tamiyyah sect as a whole, he further preached that the five "pillars" of Islam were unnecessary for the faith, and instead he reduced it to what he referred to as the "three rings" of Islam: Prayer four times a day, fasting at Ramadan, and the Shahda. He specifically denounces the need for Hajj as a cruel burden on the faithful, forcing people to travel all the way to Mecca to pay homage to the Caliph. Of course, he has nothing against individual pilgrimages, he just denounces it necessary for all Muslims. Furthermore, he calls out other laws like headscarfs and blasphemy as being hypocrtical and legalistic, only used for the power of the religious elite. Instead, he emphasized some new customs and rituals that were largely inspired from West African traditions of the Mandike people.
- Mod: 75 percent of the kingdoms accept agreeing that access to the trade network is worth the issue. the remainder consider themselves too proud to deal in such ways
- Kingdom of Eiru: King Tighearnach takes 1,000 men in the January long nights and sails them across the Irish Sea from Dublin to north Wales. Tighearnach and Mortimer and the 3,000 Welsh, Irish and German troops lay siege to Caernarfon castle and town building a circumvallation of defences to pen the castle inhabitants in stopping their food while also working on constructing a trebuchet, battering rams and other siege weapons to attack it next year. They direct all their waste into the Afon Seiont to deny the English water. Scouts are placed in the mountains and on the coast near to Caernarfon to report any news of an English army coming to relief in which case they leave 500 men to defend the constructed siege weapons which have their own defences built around them in the form of ditches, ramparts, palisades and sharpened stakes. While 2,500 men move out into the mountains of Snowdonia surrounding Caernarfon to block an English relief setting up field defences in the form of Irish hedgehogs and taking advantage of the terrain. If the English land on the coast 2,500 men go out to meet them and attack them before they can gain a foothold.
- Tian China: We continue to deal with the effects of the plague, and it finally ends fully in April. With that issue now finally dealt with, and the plague over, the Emperor is finally able to allow his children and concubines to return to Luoyang and join them there now that the threat of the plague has ended and proven it won’t be returning for now. He also turns his attentions more fully to Taiwan again, and orders the invasion of the Pangcah Kingdom, the kingdom laying to the east of our Taiwanese territory. The troops used in crushing the rebellion in our former vassal states are used in this attack. The emperor also orders the resettlement of thousands of Han people displaced by the plague and famine in the new Taiwanese province, in the hopes of swinging the demographics in our new Taiwanese territories even further in the favor of the Chinese colonists. He also begins to reopen trade with our lesser tributaries, and makes an offer of reopened trade routes and better agreements to our tributary, the Kingdom of Dai Viet. (VIETNAM RESPONSE NEEDED).The scholars that were previously sent to the court of the Hindustani sultan, and bringing back tales of the areas great wealth and prosperity with them. Although not comparable to the lands of the celestial empire, these tales begin encouraging many independent merchants to begin seeking to open more trade routes with this kingdom, and although there is no official government endorsement of this (due to the tributary system), the Emperor turns a blind eye to this, and allows this to continue. It will also lead to greater exchanges of knowledge between the two in the future.
- The Kingdom of Dai Viet accepts the offer of trade and better agreements and sends five concubines as diplomatic gifts to the Emperor of China.
- Latin Empire of Romania: Following our victories in Thrace last year, the Holy League receives news of the death of the Ottoman Sultan and the start of a civil war in that nation. We proceed to split the allied forces into two: the Orthodox forces of the Byzantine Empire and Wallachia are sent across the Bosporus to fight and establish a beachhead in that part of Ottoman lands; the Latin forces led by Pascal de Renoud, the Latin Roman general who led the allies to a victory in Thrace, cross the Hellespont with the assistance of the Venetian and Padinian navies (after the Ottoman navy had been crushed by the Venetians) (Two Landing Algos Needed). As we make our landing, we emphasize to the local population (which is still largely Greek) that we are there to liberate them from Muslim rule, and that we are working in cooperation with the Byzantine Empire. We seek the assistance of local Greeks (in both situations) to turn against their Ottoman rulers (Mod Response). Domestically, there are reports of an odd man, known as Hendrickus Pisacus, who travels through the Empire along his journey. While Pisacus dresses differently than other Europeans and refuses to eat pork, most ignore his eccentric behavior as he crosses the realm. Patriarch Philip of Salona travels to Rome to participate in the conclave, but hints at his own retirement which will lead to council of archbishops to elect his successor upon his return.
- Japanese Empire: This year the Empire begins working off some of its own built up momentum as with the plague having ended and various territories within the Manchu region having been wiped clean of population near the settlement of Aimoi, a wave of settlement arrives and some payments are made to incentivise the remaining Jurchen tribesmen now coloquially being called the Manchus to move farther north. The arrival of nearly 600 settlers into Aimoi and the surrounding region once again solidifies the hold of the Japanese empire into the region specifically as the main town begins to turn into a proper port able to accomodate more and more ships. The fires having brought down many of the initially intended to be "temporary" fortifications have cleared the way for the city to expand in a more structured way along the coast. the settlement reaches 500 once again and some more farms and plots of land are rebuilt or newly built outside the city to help supply it with food. The expansion of settlement in Hokkaido continues with Sapporo beginning to address its crisis with its slums as entire areas of the city are ripped down and replaced with only those able to afford it moving back into some of the new housing. A much more well maintained road is built between Hakodate and Sapporo in order to more effectively connect the two settlements. As the plague seems to be confirmed over and more and more Chinese ports are opened up to Japanese traders the administration at home looks to heavily expand its fur trading capabilities looking to fill in this niche for trade since it seems to be popular in China. Various Manchus are hired by some of the fur trading companies which offer handsome pay for their ranging farther north and establishing new areas for to farm for furs. With some of the Manchu religious tendencies they look more to farm out a more sustainable policy for fur trapping ranging north into territory claimed by Japan but not charted or heavily mapped to establish outposts and some small ranging housing to allow for easier possibility of fur trapping. The Kensei movement continues to develop adding nearly 20 new ronin this year and its success sees the allowance of some of the more senior members of the movement to set up a new temple as an add on to the great temple of Amaterasu in Kyoto. The Emperor learns of these men and agrees to allow this taking to more spiritual pursuits as he grows a bit older. The roadway network is completed in Shikoku and now the crowning achievement of Emperor Katsumoto looks to be completed. A massive stone network stretches from north to south across all her major islands except the sparsely settled Hokkaido. Internal travel and commerce as a result has skyrocketed due to the allowance of traffic being much higher. Some of these engineering triumphs see roads winding through mountains and valleys to link all of Japan's major cities. Transit ports between the islands creating a link between the islands for the roadway network have expanded into proper settlements as well or have taken serious role in major cities where they were placed. The expansion of the currency continues as a set limit of silver, bronze, and gold currency are to be allowed into circulation and the next wave of coins are released into circulation.
- Poland-Lithuania: Stanislaw I returns to Poland. All present reforms and projects are continued. The !5,000 troops serving under the two eldest sons join the Latin contingent in their attack with the 5,000 infantry assisting the landing of the Catholic forces while the cavalry wait for once beachhead has been established.
Habemus Papam! Etienne Aubert is elected the new Pope, taking on the papal name of Pope Innocent VI. He has now inherited quite a political situation indeed.
The Ottomans lose significant forces and some territory but manage to hold out a strong defense against the Crusaders. With Suleyman dead, Murad assumes power as the new Sultan.
With the situation in Hispania dire, the Muslim Andalusians embark on their own massive revolt led by a young Andalusian man only known as Salah-ad-din taking his name from the historic Kurdish sultan of the crusades. Rallying nearly 15,000 troops in Granada proper, they proclaim a new emirate and begin slaughtering the local Christian garrisons. Further civil strife breaks out further in areas that maintain a plurality of the two religions as thousands more Muslim Andalusians rise up as well hearing of their successful brethren to the south.
The Bishop of Trent, Meinhard von Neuhaus, has several Venetian liaisons arrested, after they arrive in the city ordering taxes be paid to Venice to support their war. The bishop also forms an alliance with the House of Meinhardin in Tyrol and Bavaria, as the Count of Tyrol desires Trentian lands for himself. Likewise the newly appointed Bishop Nicolaus, Patriarch of Aquileia, aligns with Trent and requests protection from the Pope should Venice attempt to invade and seize ecclesiastical lands.
The cities of Bologna, Ferrara, Mantua, Padua, Ravenna, and Verona, with the backing of Bernardino I da Polenta of Ravenna, the Milanese councilman Antonio de' Medici, the city of Urbino (in the Papal States), and other nobles, form the League of Romagna, as an alliance seeking independence from Venetian rule. The rebels raise an army under Andrea Gritti of Padua and Condottieri Filippo Colleoni of the Great Company.
The Republic of Florence successfully captures Florence's former territory from Milan, following the outbreak of war in the north distracting the Milanese. However, the nation's politics become divided between the Seven Saints, representing the new patrician class, and the more radical reformers. The success causes similar discontent in allied Siena, where the merchant class successfully pushes for reforms, as well as continued aid against the Seven Saints. One of the lead opponents of this move, Silvio Piccolomini, is mysteriously assassinated, possibly on the orders of Giancarlo De’ Medici.
Condottieri Della Torre defeats the Milanese forces in the North forcing them to retreat to the city. More forces join the Condottieri's side following this victory and many view his victory in the North as inevitable.
The southern parts of Padinia quickly are overtaken by the internal struggle between the Seven Saints, and the Medici family though many of Giancarlo De' Medici's opposition continue to die of unknown causes.
With Great Zimbabwe failing to regain the loyalty of the Mwene Mutape, their territory south of the Limpopo river is lost to local tribes. The Mutape themslevs secures an alliance with both th Nguni and the Rowzi people in order to secure their autonomous feudal titles.
At 7:35 PM on Saint Luke's Day, a 7.1 magnitude earthquake strikes against Basel in the Swiss Confederacy, causing landslides from their mountains that kills 1,100 people.
The Sultan of Egypt has the entire limestone casing of the Great Pyramid of Giza carefully dismantled, and repurposes the stones to construct a new fortress for defense against the Abbasid Caliphate. Having recovered from the Black Death, Egypt has secured its positoin as independent of the Muslim theocracy.
- Nyazwe: Having lost the southern half of the nation to the mutinous governors of the south over foreign concepts in direct contravention of Shona traditions, the stresses of the current state of affairs begins to wear heavily upon Akashinga, whose health begins to decline rapidly. Having prepared for this day, he summons both of his sons Chatunga and Wataida to meet with him in Lusvingo to address the matter of his death and the future of Nyazwe. Convinced that the Minister of War, Unathi waBandile, had been conspiring against him and the state for years, Akashinga orders his apprehension and execution. Being the only non-Shona member of the various ministries of the country, and the one who agreed to obstruct Akashinga's orders to the military he rightfully controlled in a centralized manner, Unathi's treason against the state was plain for all to see. Likewise, while the other three ministers Munashe, Goredenna, and Fungai are ethnic Shona and long-time servants of the state, all three step down from their posts over their purported failures to maintain the integrity of the state. In what will be his final address to the Hamadzese, Akashinga lays out the crimes of the various rebels south of the Limpopo River for the body to see, and states that while he presided over the nation's division, he will not live to see its reunification. Before all members of the Hamadzese, Akashinga declares his eldest son Chatunga the new Zvakane of Nyazwe following his death, while appointing his brother Wataida the new Minister of War. Chatunga states that not all is lost, as the extensive migration from the north into the south meant that the majority of the people in the region are Shona, and that reintegration of the southern districts is still possible. A new generation of ministers, those raised under the Faraic ideology promoted by the state, and witnesses to the positive changes brought about by Akashinga's rule, are appointed to the openings within the government. The Ministry of War reports that following the forced division of the nation by the traitors, Nyazwe's military forces have been reduced to 36,000 effectives. Wataida wastes no time in restructuring the army, while his brother moves to plan out the next steps for the country. Using his knowledge of the south and its terrain, demographics, and defenses, the latter of which he was responsible for organizing while Marshal of the South, Wataida drafts his plans for the reconquest of the south. He organizes the Vakadanwa into three mobile field armies, each with a strength of 6,500 troops, with two-thirds infantry and one-third cavalry. These armies are mobilized at Malumba, Mapumgubwe, and Lose, with the army to be commanded by Wataida consisting of 7,000 troops. The other two armies are commanded by his close friends Batirai and Munesu. Having had a long record in the south as a dangerous opponent thanks to his history of having to deal with the Nguni tribes with raw force
, Wataida plans to make his return to the south felt by all, and punish the rebels with a level of fury reserved only for betrayers. Wataida and Batirai march across the Limpopo River and make a speedy march for Kuputsa (OTL Polokwane), where they will face the main rebel force. Munesu and his army instead follow the road to Vangarepasi (OTL Mahikeng), where they will push through the rebel forces there and swing around to liberate the cities of Akashinga and Kunzwa, before meeting up with Wataida's main forces.
- Readjust numbers, please. The Rebellion soaked away roughly 70 percent of your manpower and have effectively paralyized a good chunk of your military admin. Raising more forces to deal with this isnt really an option either since your a terminal force for an already pretty high number for the region in terms of manpower.
- Mali Empire: Mansa Ayyob helps to organize the expansion of the kingdom of Jabal Asada, establishing a coastal city called Koya (OTL Freetown). A small merchant navy is constructed at this port as well. Military expansion takes place to secure the trade routes going south through Nigeria, selling far eastern goods and horses in exchange for their own resources and slaves. The tributary system is established across the majority of tribal kingdoms of Nigeria, enforcing a steady influx of gold and slaves from the pagan kingdoms and place them further under Malian dependency. This also serves as an encouragement for kingdoms in Nigeria to embrace Islam, after which they will be exemted from the obligation to give tribute. The military continues to be expanded to match the previous growth of logistics, as a few more cannons purchased from the north are also incorporated. The plain speach and claimed miracles of Abu Yunus attracts a very large following of disciples across the northern parts of the empire, adopting the concepts of his newly-formed Islamic theology. However, at this point the Imams of Timbuktu began arresting and harassing his disciples, condemning this theology as being heretical and contrary to the fundementals of Islam. He is eventually driven from the city this year, and forced to wander across various other urban centers of northern Mali. On apocryphal anecdote has one disciple ask Yunus "why can you not call on the power of God to strike down these enemies?" To which he replied "I cannot call on God, but he calls on me. Even so, my time has not yet come".
- Sweden-Norway: After several jarls from Hordaland refuse to pay taxes, King Magnus strips them of their nobility. Trade is sought with England and France. A blockade is formally set up to try to prevent any Danish ships from sailing west of Skagerrak. A large roadway expansion begins in the Mälaren, to connect the northern and southern sides, as Stockholm becomes even more important in matters of trade. King Magnus also orders further settlement in Västerbotten.
- Voidevodeshop of Wallachia: Following the death of the Ottoman sultan, Prince Nicholas sent up 50,000 army by the House of Bassarb at the region local anatolian of bosporus we've have establish a beachhead to protecting from the Greek people at the Muslim's rule we cooperate with the leader byzantin and latin romania (our neighboorhood nation) to protect us at the defeat we establish some duchy on Anatolia led by Wallachian people who become duke of it and developed strategy portifications with builders, to accept this new concept from the byzantine empire. After a while at this point the villager \Wallachian ordonna to romaniote to convert in eastern orthdoxite at the despotat of Dobruja the people continue to trade as well a large of port are being built by Prince Nicholas and local noblemen and call trades at the trade route from Europe to Middle East to producing our stuff to them and adopting some new strategy. Anyway, we heard that Dobruja is a multi-ethnic state for those people to Wallachian to Bulgarians or whatever slavic kind of type a dobrujanese become a mayor and duke of this state to appreciate the House of Bassarab and continue to develop some across progress on the main regional territorial agriculture and ehtnicity.
- Kingdom of Padinia: With Della Torre’s victory in the north he and his men prepare to assault the fortress of Milan. Hoping to capitalize on the disarray of the remaining forces. The councilman Antonio De’ Medici of Milan opens the gates to allow the forces in in the middle of the night. By the morning Milan has fallen to Cassono Della Torre. Any opposing council members are executed by Cassono. The vast majority quickly fall in line. Cassono declares Milan to be returned to its Monarchical state. With an advisory council elected by all of the people. Cassono then takes Catherine De’ Medici to be his wife and declares his support for Giancarlo against the Seven Saints. The Spinola family quickly rises in protest of this newly found Monarchy. And Cassono travels south to put his rebellion down. The Spinola force is greatly outnumber 2.5 to one, and is quickly routed by Cassono. The entirety of the Spinola family is executed and Genoa is bound to the what has become known as the Kingdom of Padinia. Cassono then returns to Milan and sends his force to Florence and Pisa to put down the rebel elements. Giancarlo manages to find and kill two members of the Seven Saints leaving it to five saints. However, he is gravely wounded in the process he looks as though he will pass within the year. The other five saints get cocky now with there main opposer leaving and attempt to lay claim to Florence for themselves and demand the people of Florence submit to them. Within the next week the Force of Cassono arrives and puts down the rebellion forces under the Five Saints. With this string of great victories he demands Pisa and Sienna submit to him as well, seeing little choice they bow to Cassono. Cassono requests the pope’s attendance at his official coronation as King of Padinia. (Papal Response needed)
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI will attend the coronation escorted by the Swiss Guard. He also says that the pope himself will crown Cassono as king of Padinia.
- Iceland: The Population reaches 26,000 and the country has a relatively good year, as promised King Ólaf II steps down from the throne and King Ólaf the III is crowned by the Cardinal of Greenland, he marries Agnes of Scotland. The King issues a declaration that his father shall be remembered as King Ólaf “The Great” of Iceland. The 5th of May is made Saint and Blessed day which Iceland celebrates their Saints and Blessed people. The King says that daughters can inherit part of their father's estate and Widows will become self governing members of society. Some peasants are requested from the Papal States to live in either Akranes, Reykjavík or Akureyri (Papal Response Needed).
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI allows some peasants go live there.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. Major offensive campaigns are done in both the Mixtec and the Xalisco, as the victory streak in re-occupying territory has proven fruitful. Cazonci Nalhen continues to weep his son's loss, however, when reports that success has stumbled upon the Empire, he weeps harder.
- Kingdom of Eiru: The Anglo-Gaelic war begins it's first serious battle. After months of starving and defecating in the water supply of Caernarfon's inhabitants and constructing siege weapons, the trebuchet constructed being used to breach a section of the castle's east wall. The defenders are informed when they wish to surrender they can raise a white flag and their lives will be spared, the 3,000 strong force on an early January morning as the river/ Afion Seiont has frozen enough for men to cross with ladders launches an assault on the castle from multiple sides with a force attacking the breach in the walls, while soldiers around them bring up rams and attempt to break through the walls and as the defenders are drawn to the castle's east wall to defend the breach and against the ram another force of soldiers cross the frozen river with ladders and attempt an escelade on the west and south walls to seize the castle. Contuining: After failing to take the castle, as sometimes happens we continue the siege and beginning digging tunnels to undermine the castle, attempt to divert the Afion Seiont by carving a new channel then damming the river and constructing a siege tower. We request the French consider an invasion of England alongside the Archduchy reminding them they will gain all of England's continental holdings. (Mod response)
- Jarldom of Vinland: With the granting of Beothukian citizenship for all Beothukian residing in Vinland. The Beothukian 200 strong royal Militia is created and swears their oath to the jarl. Meanwhile, a new battle against the Beothuk begins. (ALGO NEEDED)
- Republic of Venice: In the early March of 1356, a feeling of anger and outrage occurs in the Venetian public, when several vassals dare in an insulting move to break away from the most serene of republics. This is not taken lightly, especially by Doge-General Mastino della Scala II, as his brother Alboino who is currently in charge of Verona. An army of 13,000 is sent to nearby Padova. the army consists of the seasoned veterans previously stationed in Durazzo (5,000), less skilled troops from Greece (3,000) and a force of 5,000 from Venice and the Balkan possessions of the Republic. Reserve troops largely consist of soldiers that are still loyal to the Republic, which would be about 4,000 of the former army of 30,000. The army marches on Padova first, preparing to storm the city. Since the Venetians know the plans of the only loosely fortified city (the fortifications have barely been upgraded for heavy artillery due to being inside Venetian territory for a long time), the plans are drawn to first hammer down the fortifications with flammable projectiles (to provoke a city wide fire) and then storm the city at night. (ALGO, PLEASE). della Scala sees the war against Padova and Verona not only as a political matter, but also as a personal crusade against a treasonous brother, and he gives a firing speech in which he tells his soldiers that utter brutality is the only way to bring these traitors to justice and sanity. The Doge-General, as he becomes called assures a large supply of grain to be imported from Greece and Corsica, while Steel is brought in from trading partners in Spain (the trade with Catalonia is largely intact despite the Muslim riots in the south). The Arsenali that are in Venice proper and in Iraklion on Crete work day and night to pump out artillery, armor and weapons. A naval blockade is put on the ports of Ravenna Along with these weapons, cavalry is used to a minor extend, with 500 cavalrists being hired from Hungarian mercenary generals. SECRET Florentine assassins are contacted to kill the leader of the rebellion, Andrea Gritti of Padua, a secondary Plan B would include the murder of Bernadino I da Polenta and his family. (FLORENCE/MOD RESPONSE NEEDED) SECRET END The clerical figures in the north are assured that the taxes that they refuse to pay will be returned bit by bit after the war is won on the Venetian side, and the republic would make sure that large investments would be done to Aquilea, Trento and Tyrol (TRENTO/AQUILEA/TYROL RESPONSE, PLEASE). They are also asked to return the arrested liaison to the Venetians. A traveller known as Pisacus travels through the Venetian lands, though, since he is barely known and the country is in a state of war, he doesn't get the special treatment he expects.
- While riding through a town north of Verona, Andrea Gritti is attacked by armed guards while crossing a bridge. The assassins manage to stab his horse and knock him off the side into the water below, however, he survives without any major injury. While in camp, Bernadino I da Polenta is attacked by an assassin who sneaks into his tent, however, the assassin fumbles while charging forward, and is apprehended.
- The offer to Trento and Aquileia is rejected.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Were Di": The Council of Verdun going their full way, Charles begins to ask each of the Attending members what their desires and needs are from the Empire (Swiss and Mod Response). This desire to specificly hear from the Italian states and the italo-german State of Switserland, as they seem to be less and less inclined to actualy work togheter with the Empire and the emperor. In the Duchy of Barois there is a small dispute brewing over the ownership of the title of Duke of Barois, as the Duke's of Brabant had bought the title of count of loon. The issue being is that the buying did not say if the duke of Brabant bought the titles of the count of Loon, or if the duke bought just the title of Count of Loon. Although this has not been an issue before, combined with the Loraine issue making the emperor and Archduke of Lotharingia more eager to find solutions. So Archduke Charles offers Diederik of Heinsberg to buy the right to inheritance of the County of Chiny, which he would then would become fully part of the empire and be protected by it(Mod Response). Charles wanting to have so all nation who have lands in the empire have all their land protected by the Empire. Charles eventualy wanting that feudal borders and empire borders are the same so there won't be any splitted Loyalties. With the amouth of Deaths that were suffered due to the plague, road trafic began to lessen. This decrease in road use, gives the nobles the time to improve the roads without to much economic disruption. These improvements often just being addubg gravel and stamping on the softer soil, although this soundz simple, this does work. As the decreased road trafic also means decreased wear in the roads, although some roads have increased usage. These roads being those which are the shortest distance to Major cities, Like From Maestricht to Oachen and Rotterdam to Amsterdam. These being the Most important cities of the Empire, who have a big enough market to need such shortcuts. Rotterdam and Amsterdam now finaly finaly finding new trade partners begin to build more ships Both for Merchants and the Navy of Lotharingia. The habours being pushed to keep their pre-plague production which for the first time in history makes it so there are more then 200 ships in the Herzogelige flot. The Archduke requesting to the Merchants to use their ships in return for more Economic liberties in the Cities. The archduke setting the Profesional army of 2,500 men Prepare for an invasion of the English mainland, as this could togheter with giving more rights to the English Parliament and Peasantry. Another army preparing is the Noble's army in Hennegau, whose job it is to keep the Flemish from actively joining the fight. The Archduke even asking Both the House of Valois and Capet to join the fight in return of getting all of Mainland English holdings(Mod Response) although the Archduke openly is more supportive of the House of Capet. SECRET Charles promises the h\House of Valois all support they need to beat the English and beat the Flemish rebels, if they accept the Dukeship of the Archduke over Lorainne. Charles even wanting to call on Imperial states to help the French against English tyrany SECRET. In Lotharingia Sprouts continue their Populatiry even given to nobility by the Emperor as a small snack to eat when discussing issues.
- France allies with Lothraingia against the common threat of England, but generally the Capetian claimant of Victor is more officially supportive of Lothraingia because of their cloesr political connections.
- Diederik does not agree to sell.
- Swiss Confederacy: After the devastating earthquake in the city of Basel on St. Luke’s Day, the Cantons of Bern and Aargau send an envoy to Basel, offering to provide funding and manpower for the rebuilding of the city as well as physicians to treat the injured, on the condition the city agrees to join the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of Basel. (Mod response) With the revolts breaking out in Valencia and Andalusia, clergy of the Western Church in Unterwalden and Tudela proclaim that the government of Hispania has failed and lost control of its territory; the clergy encourage Basque peasants in the Hispania-occupied Navarre to push for an independent Navarre again, potentially as a Patriarchate of the Western Church. (Mod response) Ulrich VI von Lenzburg celebrates the marriage of King Louis of Arles and his niece Ida von Lenzburg, and uses this occasion to suggest a formal political alliance between the Swiss Confederacy and the Kingdom of Arles in light of this marriage. (Mod response) Additionally, having heard Victor Capet’s son Louis (b. 1331), the older brother of Margaret who just married Gottfried von Lenzburg, Ulrich VI sends envoys to Victor Capet and the Confederacy’s political ally Stephen II of Wittelsbach, Duke of Lower Bavaria, suggesting to them to arrange a marriage between Louis and Stephen’s daughter Agnes (b. 1338). (Mod response) The Central Council of the Confederacy also plays close attention to the emerging crisis in Trent, Aquilea and the cities of Romagna but does not take any official positions on these yet. The 2,000 Swiss troops trained to be the Swiss Guard travel to the Papal States to help guard Rome. (Papal response) Domestically, the government works on recruiting more peasants to become soldiers to guard the Confederacy’s border with the Swiss Holy League soldiers continuing to be on the Crusade and the Swiss Guard now also having departed to Rome. The joint military of the Confederacy works on fortifying the new Canton of Toggenburg, specifically the seat Lichtensteig and the other major town Uznach.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI thanks the Central Council for their help.
- Basel joins the confederacy.
- Arles agrees to alliance.
- Stephen agrees to the marriage.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: Recognizing the need for experienced leadership for the Kingdom's military, Emperor Chinh goes personally to military school, Giảng võ đường, and selects a candidate to be sent out on expeditions to learn more of the greater world and explore. The head of the expedition is Kiều Sơn Hà and is intended to travel through China with the Chinese Emperor's blessing (China Response). The expedition of Kiều Sơn Hà is dispatched to China with the intent of traveling throughout the Middle Kingdom with only 600 men being assigned (500 soldiers, 20 mounted soldiers, five cataphracts, ten diplomats, ten cooks, 20 scouts, five mapmakers, and 30 scholars). Back in Dai Viet, the remainder of the royal levy (4,975 men approx.) continue training and receiving supplies with blacksmiths only one-fifth of the way complete with the order placed by the Emperor for arms and equipment. The construction of defenses has slowed due to the roads receiving more attention this year in terms of manpower and supplies so that the resources for defenses can be better distributed once complete with estimates at two to three more years for the roads. Farmers continue to contribute one-fifth of food production to storage depots with the implementation of compensation for what is taken while iron rations continue to remain at two-thirds of the total production as the other one-third are conserved for the blacksmith's production of weapons and armor. The gladiator arena has proven to be a smashing hit with the general population with the government hosting gladiatorial displays across the Kingdom including rural locations and crime disappearing to a degree across the kingdom as offenders/criminals did not want to be sent to be gladiators. The Emperor continues patronage of entertainment acts across Dai Viet keeping his populace as a whole generally happy. Ship construction has been impeded due to the lack of resources flowing in as the roads are being reinforced and built resulting in a production of six ships this year with estimates for completion at 6-8 years for the completion of the order. Diplomatic efforts to trade with Champa have been made (Mod Response) while the intelligence-gathering efforts have managed to identify minor weaknesses in Champa from a few corrupt bureaucrats to blueprints for fortifications. The plans for a military offense into Champa are still ongoing continually integrating new intelligence while the plans for the defense of Dai Viet are put on hold as the Emperor orders the officers committed there to design a potential offensive into Lan Xang. To gather intelligence for the Lan Xang offensive, a diplomatic party has been dispatched to into Lan Xang (Mod Response) alongside intelligence agents to establish contact and open trade routes. Furthermore, the accessibility of the Imperial Examination System has been identified as a problem in a review conducted by trusted officials. In an attempt to allow for the lower social classes to work their way into the civil service, the Emperor has mandated the institution of a test specifically designed to test the mental aptitude of the lower classes with those with high marks, sent to Imperial schools to receive formal education and become lower-ranking governmental officials. In an effort to prevent exploitation by the wealthier families of this new system, the Emperor has decreed that any son/daughter of a noble family found in the system will be subject to an extremely heavy fine. Governmental officials, for the most part, are unhappy with these changes as they are for the most part the sons of noble families that had managed to consolidate the power of the system underneath them. In an effort to curtail any potential actions that can be taken by the officials, Emperor Chinh orders the advisors in charge of internal security and intelligence to collaborate alongside each other to root out and suppress any dissent among the nobility by any means necessary. The advisor for the economy has been tasked with expanding the fishing industry along the coast to bring in more food as an alternate source to taking food directly from farmer's livelihood and has been ordered to personally oversee the construction and expansion of the road network. Work on gunpowder weapons continues with completion estimates at 1370-1380 acquisition.
- China Dip: The Emperor accepts this proposal, and allows the Vietnamese expedition to travel through China.
- Champa agrees to trade.
- Lan Xang rejects the diplomacy and delivers a box of excrement to the court of Dai Viet
- Papal States: After the end of the Conclave, Cardinal Étienne Aubert is crowned as Pope Innocent VI in the Basilica of Saint Peter. His first act after the coronation is to choose to the position of Cardinal-Secretary Andrew Corsini. He also names Cardinal Gil Álvarez Carrillo de Albornoz as General Comissary. The new pope also start to set some points about the Conclave and the College of Cardinals. The first one is that the cardinal will be elected as pope when he have the highest number of votes, the second one is that the limit of cardinals will be of 30 with a new cardinal being created to replace one that died. The production of war ships in Ostia and Civitavecchia continues and four more galleys are make. The military centers also continues to train soldiers and now the Papal Army have 11,000 men. With the victories against the Ottomans, new thanksgiving masses are celebrated. One night, pope Innocent have a dream of the Virgin Mary giving the Holy Rosary to Saint Dominic of Guzman and then the Saint gave the rosary to the pontiff. Thinking that it is a signal of God, the pope proclaims that all the Christendom must pray the Rosary asking for God's help in the battle against the Ottomans. To give support to the Holy League, the pope sends the five papal galleys and 5,000 men of the Papal Army. With them comes the flag of the Holy League made in Lotharingia and blessed by the pope. The flag have a representation of Christ Crucified and His Stigmata. A letter from the pope is sent to the Byzantine Emperor saying that the mission of the Holy League is to protect Christian lands against the Ottoman menace and that the lands of Thrace and other Ottoman lands will be ceded back to them [MOD response needed, please]. Due to the training of soldiers for the Swiss Guard, the pope places the Swiss Confederacy over Papal protection due to their services to the Holy See. Since there is only 23 cardinals the pope creates Guglielmo II della Pusterla (Padinia), Hugh III of Bar (Verdun), Peter Gelyto (Swiss Confederacy) and Nicholas Morosini (Venice). The movement created by Elena Cimorelli continues to attract lay woman wanting to participate in it. With the help of Father Fabozzi, she travels to Rome to meet with the pope to tell him about his visions and ask for his approvation for the Workers of Charity.
- Emperor John V says thanks.
- Japanese Empire: The expansion of the land survey and organization system as a more efficient process is implemented across now the whole of the country. After the success of the implementation in the Capital region running from Osaka to Nagoya the system is rolled out to the remainder of the country. The plots of land are reorganized on how they provide manpower taxes and food to the imperial government and is expected to be fully completed in the next few years. The benefits of such a system become readily apparent as the new taxes flow in, and the manpower increases becomes apparent. nearly 12,000 men are expected to be brought into the levy (this includes last year's numbers) in total which gives nobles, communities, and the Emperor most manpower for the army, or more nicely, more manpower to use for labor projects. This brings the effective levy for the empire at 77,000 which leaves Japan in a convincingly good position with its military/labor pool. Some shjip designers become convinced in the lacking abilities of their ships and many of the larger trade ships ostensibly just Junks or Atakabune. The ships see some redesigns for heavier woods native to Japan to replace the pine and other lighter woods which were geared toward coastal combat and to increase survivability on the open seas, as well as attempting to replace a lot of the iron nails involved with these ships with wooded pegs increasing structural integrity and also avoiding the issue of corrosion and rust within the ships and hence deterioration of the superstructure. The redesign has some serious implications in terms of survivability of trade ships but the military applications are noted as a military ship is to be designed as well to replace the current lighter ships. The beginnings of trade in Indochina see multiple trade guilds invest into their fleets to exploit some of the new trade contacts as ships leave for Champa, Dai Viet, Brunei, and Malacca seeking to heavily expand Japans trade presence in the southern seas. The imperial mint system struggles as many nobles continue to attempt to issue their own currency and hence undermine the imperial currency system. This effectively drives the Emperor into a tirade as he begins to hold these nobles accountable for some of the issues their respective provinces may be facing. Their lack of adoption of the currency is effectively hamstringing all attempts to reliably develop the regions in question. However, some of these nobles storm out in a fury angered by the Emperors posturing. They get as far as the city gates before wreaking havoc on the area. This, however, sees their first run in with a member of the Kensei order. Noted to be a Kensei master due to prior training and his quick adoption of the orders ideals and principles he is able to quickly and decisively beat or disarm the small group of nobles showing a clear difference in skill, discipline and mindset. The nobles are henceforth arrested and brought forth before the Join and Councilor general who agree these nobles were out of line and the era of nobles directly challenging the status quo in this way is not an honorable or acceptable position anymore. This sees lots of agreement as many of the daimyo and aristocrats agree that a more civilized form of communication is indeed needed to maintain the prosperity that has come across Japan.
- Latin Empire of Romania:The Anatolian Crusade continues to dominate discourse and attention in the Latin Empire. Having scored a dramatic victory at Cyzicus, Holy League commander Pascal de Renould receives the papal troops and integrates them into the forces under his command. The blessed flag of the League is seen as a divine gift, and reinforces in the minds of the Latin forces why they are fighting: for nothing less than Christendom itself. de Renould speaks to the importance of maintaining the border between barbaric Muslims and the civilized realms of Europe. When the time comes for battle, he has the Polish cavalry raid near the port town of Apamea Myrlea (near modern-day Mudanya). This is to draw the Turkish forces, which had suffered major casualties, into an attack. However, the Turks would find the full body of the Catholic forces bearing down upon them from the surrounding countryside - alongside the Polish cavalry's incessant skirmishing. In addition, by remaining near the coastline, we are able to trap the Ottoman forces against our naval blockade - comprised of Venetian and Padinian ships. This is to be a decisive battle - and intending to push the Ottomans back to their capital of Bursa (Algo, please). Meanwhile, our Byzantine allies have established a foothold in Anatolia - decades after being expelled from the area. News is sent to their commanders that the Catholic forces are proceeding toward Bursa and have reduced the enemy numbers by one-fourth - much needed encouragement for the Byzantine troops. They spend much of the year attempting to break through to be able to join the Crusaders in Bursa. The Byzantines in particular engage the Ottoman Turks in the fields nearby Nicomedia (OTL Izmit). Efforts to get Anatolian Greeks to join the Byzantine forces continue, as many are hoped to fill the ranks alongside the Byzantine and Wallachian Orthodox brethren. Domestically, Patriarch Philip of Salona decides to retire - as anticipated. In a church council, the various archbishops elect one of their younger members, Archbishop Gaspar of Thessalonica, who had played a prominent role in administering the city in the aftermath of the Zealots revolt (Papal confirmation requested).
- Poland-Lithuania: The land and administrative reforms of Stanislovas continue. Construction of roads connecting Krakow to Warsawa and Wroclow continue construction with local roads connecting the cities of Lwow, Vilnius, Lublin, Gdansk and other growing cities to the neighboring country side to improve the logistics of food supply to the cities. Stanislovas continues to promote the growth of the merchant classes of these cities, as well. Stanislaw renews interests in reviving Wroclaw's economy and population as well as bringing up production of iron, for weapons. Smithies are paid handsomely as are those seeking apprenctiships due to increased demands. labour on farm estates also grows slightly in wage due to the high demand for workers. In Anatolia, Prince Andrzej holds a war summit with the Latin commanders where it is agreed upon that the Lithuanian and Polish Cavlary will draw the Ottoman forces into a battle outside Apamea Myrlea by raiding Turkic supply lines and by plundering Muslim communities sparing Christian settlements. Taking personal command of the operation leading cavalry across Turkish territory taking everything of wealth including women and children (though if they slow down the retreat the prisoners are just kileld so as to deprive the enemy of them) while burning the houses, and crops the troops cant take. They also attack Turkish supply cavarans and skirmish with the Turkish flanks using small shields, and carrying spears, and bows to allow for close range charges against Tukirsh horse archers while also engaging with bows to harrass enemy forces at distance. The goal being to draw the a major Turkish response and force them to battle outside a fortified position of their own while the heavy cavalry of the Latin empire and the other Catholic forces will then trap them into a pitched battle where the enemy losses their menuverability and upon which point the light cavalry will join the slaughter. Demitry remains in command of the 5,000 infantry who will help the Latin contingent.
Sultan Murad Osman consolidates the Ottoman forces as a strong defense between the invading Crusader positions and the capital of Bursa, knowing that is their likely target.
In Zimbabwe, the failed negotiations between the government and the rebellious factions leads to the northern and southern thirds of the nation becoming de facto independent of royal authority. The increased delusions of the current King Akashinga finally influence his son Wataida to defect to the side of the rebelling nobles, hoping to bring a swift end to his father's policies, and also bringing additional manpower and legitimacy to the rebel side. If placed on the throne he agrees to guarantee land rights, repeal many of the liberal policies, and prevent further costly and unwanted expansion out into relatively useless hinterlands. When he learns of the death of his father and the succession of his brother Chatunga, he continues to lead the rebellion, at this time hoping to replace his ineffective brother as well.
As the new Duke of Milan begins to quell unrest in the city after his usurpation, discontent rises across the rest of northern Italy, especially among the more republican and independence-minded former city states. Several republics declare independence, including the cities of Parma, Lucca, and Brescia, who in conjuction with Milanese dissidents, raise 35,000 soldiers collectively, and place their forces under the command of a general named Passerino Bonacolsi.
The claim of the Duke of Milan as "King of Padinia" causes great controversy among the German Prince-Electors. They insist that Charles of Lothraingia is the only King of Italy, and this upstart of Milan is seizeing the title unlawfully. The Pope, however, has yet to act on the issue, which is why the Duke tactfully petitioned him to administer his coronation.
It's found that the scholars sent by Vinland a few years ago have died of bubonic plague, but they passed knowledge to a collegue who traveled to Iceland, asking if he could become an embassy to the mysterious kingdoms to the west.
The Tsardom of Bulgaria becomes more unstable, and breaks off independent principalities. Namely, the two independent principalities are Dobrujah and Vidin.
Alfonso IV dies, and is succeeded by his prodigal son Peter as King of Portugal.
The financial crisis in France is finally rectified by a meeting of the Estates General, the French equivilant of Parliament.
A doctor in Venice identifies a relatively unknown disease that is found to be unrelated to the recent Black Death, which he calls "Influenza". He writes his theory that the disease is caused by a bad allignment of stars. Meanwhile, a Persian phsyician named Masoud Al-Kazaruni publishes a new commentary on Avicenna for the court of Tabriz.
In Turin Cathedral, a mysterious shroud is put on display, attracting large groups of Christians buying indulgences. The nuns who donated the shroud claims that it is the very cloth that was laid on Jesus during his time in the grave. The evidence for this claim, is that the shoud bears the image of a dead man covered in wounds and wearing a crown of thorns. This image is infused on both sides of the cloth, without any sign of paint, weaving or dyes. Some sketpics scoff if such a cloth could have survived the centuries, but these critics are few and far between.
- Mali Empire: Jabal Asada continues to be integrated into the empire with the assistance of Manding secret soceities, as similar integrations take place in both Kanem and Nigeria. The port of Koya is built up, and constructs two ships at this point along the modern style developed in Dakar, equivilant of a small European cog. The Nigerian tributary system helps to spead Islam and the Malian political system into central Nigeria and the allies of the Oyo. Abu Yunus does not lose any ground int he propogation of his theology, but continues to gain a tremendous following of disciples seeking his own interpetation of Islam. Finally, a Sunni cleric named Abu Sufyan confronts Yunus and declares that his words are heretical to Islam. The Prophet Muhammad spoke from God, he explained, then why should we believe you? Abu Yunus responded to this criticism with a miracle that is controversially known as "the Yunus Star" or "the Yunus Nova". Earliest hagiagrophies of Yunus describe the event as a new star or a great burst of light in the night sky, which the prophet predicted would happen at a very specific time. Later versions of the story would embelish on this event, describing hosts of angels or Jinn that appeared at the same time as this bright light. No contemporary sources are known to corroborate this event, except for one horrorscope from c.1360 that mentions a "new star" that briefly appeared around that time. This event caused much greater polarization among the philosophical elite of Mali, causing further rift between different religious factions.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: The Lan Xang diplomatic party returns to the capitol of Hanoi bearing the gift of excrements from Lan Xang to the royal court. Outraged, Emperor Chinh orders light raids to be conducted by the Royal levy (fully equipped, two years training, 4,975 men strong approx., one-sixth of officer corps) in an effort to probe and test the defenses of Lan Xang (slaves, food, and valuable things are taken) while tasking the internal security minister along with local levies on the border to seal the border between the two kingdoms. One-sixth of the officer corps has been assigned to leading the raiding parties while another one-sixth have been tasked with shoring up the borders in preparation for retaliatory attacks. The other two-sixths are committed to planning out the campaign against Lan Xang with the planning for the invasion of Champa being planned by two-sixths of the officer corps. The blacksmiths have managed to complete two-fifths of the royal order for arms and equipment. Seized portions of iron production have been changed from one-third to one-seventh of total production with surplus amounts of iron remaining for the blacksmiths. The amount of food production bound for imperial storage depots has been changed from one-fifth to one-ninth with government sponsored fishing yielding a bountiful supply of fish that is set aside to be preserved and stored in storage depots. Gladiator fighting remains a popular sport across the kingdom but has begun to affect production across the Kingdom. In an effort to increase production, Emperor Chinh has decreed that gladiator competitions can only occur once every 20 days. Furthermore, the Emperor dials back on patronage of entertainment troupes across the Kingdom as his attention is drawn toward the growing conflict in Lan Xang. The shipyards have managed to turn out seven ships (13 ships total) with estimated completion time hovering at 5-6 years for the rest of the naval vessels. Recognizing that the advisor for war might be burdened by the size of the task, Emperor Chinh breaks up the job the roles of advisor for the navy and advisor for the army. The first task assigned to the new minister of the navy is overseeing the training and outfitting the navy's ships and crews with weapons, armor, and supplies. The minister of Economics has managed to maintain the speed of roadbuilding with careful oversight, but in preparation for potential future conflicts two-thirds of the workforce have been reassigned to building and fortifying the defenses of the Kingdom (forts, underground tunnels, secret hideouts, ambush points, and city walls). Emperor Chinh’s implementation of his new Examination reforms have begun this year with testing being done on children of lower social classes. The first batch of children to be sent into the Civil Service system number at about 12 children for this year. Efforts by the intelligence minister have been effective to a degree with dissident nobles being quietly removed from their positions of power in favor of officials with proven loyalties. The expedition of Kiều Sơn Hà has begun its journey through China and is working its way toward Taiwan in light of the new of conflict on the island with no complications to its journey yet and has approached local governments to petition for being allowed to observe and analyze gunpowder weapons. (China Response). Gunpowder weapons are still on schedule with estimations at around the year 1376 before gunpowder weapons can be manufactured, as a safety precaution research and experimentation has been moved to estates on the outskirts of Hanoi under the protection of a small detachment of the royal levy. Intelligence gathering efforts in Champa remain on track with further weaknesses identified. The Emperor has received word of Che Mo's (legitimate heir to Champa) request for Dai Viet intervention to help him ascend to the throne after his father's brother-in-law seized it. He sends word to Che Mo through his spies stating his intent to support Che Mo if he is capable of rallying allies to his cause and agrees to give to Dai Viet the prefectures of Quang Binh through Quang Nan (Mod Response). Through official diplomatic channels to Champa, Emperor Chinh request that some shipbuilders are loaned to him in exchange for payment (Mod Response).
- Champa considers Dai Viet a rival in the region due to invasions by them in past decades, and does not want to contribute to making them stronger
- Che Mo accepts the alliance under Vietnam's terms
- Empire of Ethiopia: Having received the Mali Emperor's request for a royal marriage, Emperor Newaya Krestos informs the Mali Emperor that he has two sons, and that he would be happy to marry one to the Mali Emperor's daughter (MALI RESPONSE). The Chewa system continues to be upgraded and modified, with the Chewa forts becoming centers of commerce and trade amidst the newly conquered territories, as well as locations for the Chewa to muster when called to arms by the Empire. The Empire continues to build a road network in the newly conquered territories to link these various fortresses and make travel easier. In accordance with modifying the system, the Emperor allows 3,000 peasant families to enter the Chewa class. These new families are given new lands in the northern Horn along with livestock. In a mass ceremony before the Pope of Alexandria and the King, each family swears fealty to the Emperor and the monarchy and as such is granted their new status as Chewa. The Chewa, new and old, are trained yearly by experienced officers housed in the fort. The census of the Chewa is completed, with the Emperor's agents in the Chewa forts now having record of every Chewa, their family size, and the location of their lands. The Emperor decrees that a new census will be taken every ten years to update the rolls. The arrival of the new Chewa families causes some friction between the "old" Chewa and the "new" Chewa. However, the Emperor attempts to minimize this friction by settling the two groups in separate areas. The Order of St. Anthony thrives amongst the newly conquered territories, holding mass, performing baptisms, and other holy rites. Some members begin establishing Churches and Monasteries to conduct religious ceremonies from a more stable location. With the plague gone from Ethiopia largely thanks to the Emperor's quarantine strategy, life and trade begins to resume. With the plague fading from India, trade with India and Mali begins thriving once more. The Ethiopian trade guild sends its trade fleet to India again, hoping to respark trade between India and Ethiopia. Following in the trade fleet's tracks, other Ethiopian merchants begin making the voyage between the two kingdoms. Trade caravans full of Indian goods begin to make their way through Ethiopia westward again, aiming to sell their goods to Europe. The Emperor is informed that with trade between Ethiopia and India cut, traders have begun looking for alternate locations to sell their goods. One of these locations is the port of Massawa in the Sultanate of Dahlak. The Emperor demands that the Sultan of Dahlak convert to Christianity and submit to the Emperor as a vassal. The Emperor also demands that the Sultan allow the Empire to claim direct control of Massawa and to allow Imperial trade agents to impose tariffs on traders there [MOD RESPONSE].
- Mali Dip: Mansa Ayyob ibn Musa agrees to let a daughter of his, named Aisha, to go to Ethiopia to marry the Emperor's son.
- Dahlek denies this request.
- Kingdom of Padinia: Kingdom of Padinia: Cassono takes his smaller numbers and spreads false information among the rebels and makes them believe he will fake an attack at Florence then assault Pisa. The Rebels allocate 25,000 men to Pisa in order to defend against this assault. They are quickly caught by surprise as the main assault comes at Florence in the night, the city is assaulted by Cassono’s full force in an attempt to even the odds. He left relatively standard garrisons in Milan and Genoa under the command of Antonio De’ Medici. (Algo needed).)
- Iceland: The population reaches 26,180. The Duke of Greenland takes nine Thule men to try to explore more of northern Greenland(Mod Response Needed). The President of Althingi is again the Chief of the Thule Delegation. The Vinlandic scholar is executed on the bases of supplying enemy technology. A son is born to King Ólaf which he names Domnhall, his wife becomes very sick but makes a miraculous recovery after saying her last prayer by the grave of St. Ari the Cardinal of Iceland after baptizing Domnhall he requests that the Papacy investigates the recovery as a miracle. The roads are improved in Reykavík. (Papal Response Needed)
- The expedition is attacked by polar bears, killing three of them.
- Papal diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI sends a commission to investigate the miracle.
- Swiss Confederacy: As per the agreement when the Canton of Basel joined the Swiss Confederacy, several hundred workmen and mercenaries (mainly from the Cantons of Bern and Aargau) are sent to the city of Basel to help it rebuild from its devastating earthquake the previous year. Additionally, some physicians, monks and nuns (the latter mainly from the Mercedine Priory of Schwyz) travel to Basel to help survivors of the earthquake dealing with injuries. The joint military of the Confederacy also travels to Basel specifically to rebuild fortifications around the city. Meanwhile, the Canton of Sion sends envoys to the rural villages of Lower Valais centred around Martigny, suggesting to them to join the Canton of Sion for the benefits of infrastructure and protection from the various ongoing conflicts of the Italian peninsula. (Mod response) The Western Church continues to encourage Basques in Navarre to declare independence from the failing authority of Hispania as revolts in Valencia and Andalusia continue and many Basques are unhappy because of the Aragonese conquest and subsequent complete lack of attention of the government to the region. (Mod response) King Louis of Arles and Ida von Lenzburg have a daughter, Michelle of Anjou-Lenzburg; Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits the newborn child in Marseille. Afterward, Ulrich VI travels to Lenzburg Castle, the seat of the original House of Lenzburg in the 11th and 12th centuries which had fallen into Habsburg hands but returned when the Canton of Aargau joined the Swiss Confederacy in 1349. He proclaims the castle as the new seat of the Restored House of Lenzburg as well and moves his family into the castle. Soon, Gottfried von Lenzburg and Margaret Capet have a child at Lenzburg Castle, a son they name Wilhelm II in honour of Gottfried's father. Domestically, the government works on funding the rebuilding of Basel and the expansion of the linen industry in the nation.
- Valais joins Sion.
- Jarldom of Vinland: After hearing the execution of the last surviving vinlandic schoolar,massive anti icelandic riots occurs all over Vinland demanding an equally harsh reprimand against the Icelandic. In the parliament, all senators votes for the passing of the anti-icelandic bill which passes with anonomym consent. This bill sentences one of the 25 icelandic captives in Vinland to death by being buried alive.This action is praised by the entire population.
Moreover five new schoolars are once more sent to Europe to study their tech and this time they are being escorted by a contingent of the royal armada.This is done due to unpredictable nature of the icelandic kingdom.Once more a battle against the uncivilized Beothuks are begun. (algo needed)
- None of the scholars return and only one ship makes it back stating they were met with horrific weather and that they were the only survivors. (Stop sending scholars to Europe).
- Papal States: Pope Innocent VI arrives in Padinian territory escorted by the Swiss guard and crowns Cassono Della Torre as king fo Padinia in a ceremony in the Cathedral of Milan. After returning to Rome, the pontiff meets with Elena Cimorelli and Father Fabozzi. She tells him about her visions and asks the approval of the pope for the Workers of Charity. Elena says to Innocent that her community will be similar to the beguines, but their lifestyle will be based in the Rule of Saint Augustine due to the suggestion of Father Fabozzi. The pope agrees and gives to Elena a building in Ostia were she can organize her community. Due to the growing conflicts in Italy, pope Innocent take some measures. He writes to the patriarch of Aquileia agreeing to give him protection [MOD response needed, please]. The pope decides to neither formally endorsed nor rejected the Shroud of Turin. After talking with the Portuguese Cardinal Lourenço Rodrigues, the pope publicly recognizes the marriage of Peter of Portugal and Inês de Castro. He says that Inês must be considered as the deceased queen of Portugal. The pontiff asks that Peter helps Hispania to control the Muslim;s rebellions [MOD response needed, please]. The pope continue to promote the Rosary and processions are made in honor of the Virgin Mary, asking for her intercession in the battle against the Ottomans. Troops continues to be trained to increase the numbers in the Papal Army. With the help of Cardinal-Secretary Andrew Corsini, Cardinal General Comissary Gil Álvarez Carrillo de Albornoz writes the Constitutiones Sanctæ Matris Ecclesiæ which formalize the political organization of the Papal States as it was proposed by the reforms of Gregory XI and Sixtus IV. It confirms the divison of thePapal States into seven provinces: the Duchy of Spoleto, March of Ancona, Romagna, Patrimony of Saint Peter, the Campagne and Maritime Province, Benevento and Comtat Venaissin. Each province is under the direction of a Papal Vicar appointed personally by the pope. Each Papal Vicar is charged with the selection of a council of seven counselors for his province. The purpose of the council was to counter corruption and each counselor needs to belong to a different province then the one to which they are appointed. The Papal Vicars are: Blasco Fernández (Spoleto), Aldobrandino III d'Este (Ancona), Ungaro Malatesta (Romagna), Louis Capet (Patrimony of Saint Peter), Sinibaldo I Ordelaffi (Campagne and Maritime), Archbishop Ugone de Rupto (Benevento) and Pierre de Beaufort (Comtat Venaissin). The Vicars will meet in the end of each month with the pope to discuss about their administration. The document also creates an armed force that will make the security of the province. The Papal Vicar have the power to name the chief of the armed forces, but is barred from bestowing the office on one of his relatives. The document is presented to Innocent and he approves it. The Holy Father recognizes the election of Gaspar of Thessalonica as Latin Patriarch of Constantinople and creates him as cardinal.
- Peter of Portugal agrees to help Hispania quell the Muslim revolt.
- League of Mayan States: Mayapan is officially established as the seat of the League of Mayan States. Teyacapan, after acting as High Councilor for nine years, is voted out of office (in contrast to his predecessor Ahmakiq, who willingly stepped down). This prompts updates to the governing documents of the league, specifically outlining the term limits of the High Councilor and their powers. One of the prominent authors of these changes, Huracan of Chetumal, is voted in as High Councilor. Expansion continues south and west. Huracan focuses on upgrades to the coastal facilities of the nation, including increasing port capacity and shipping capabilities. The middle class, including craftsmen and merchants, continues to expand as trade and manufacturing become more important in the League. Exports to other peoples, such as the Tarascans, increase as higher quality goods are produced. Infrastructure is updated, allowing for increased traffic flow between major cities and trading hubs. Chichen Itza becomes more important as a central trading hub. Several acres outside of the city are designated for the development of the “Great Market of Chichen Itza”.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. Major offensive campaigns are done in both the Mixtec and the Xalisco, as the victory streak in re-occupying territory has proven fruitful. In a particular offensive raid, the Tarascan army in the south are able to take an opportunity after the Mixtec army retreats, and are able to siege and re-conquer the capital city of Mitla, effectively placing direct governance over the Mixtec population into the hands of the Cazonci, Nalhen, once more. With this grip on the Zapotec rebel state, the Tarascan forces are able to begin re-incorporating the territory retaken in relative short order, their period of success seeming almost eternal. Cazonci Nalhen finally subsides his despair over his killing of his first son, now fully in the presence of Auicamine's influence. Wanting to ensure his faith in Cuerauáperi although he betrayed her, he chooses his second and third wife, Tepin and Yaotaca. Tepin births the twin Achtopochtli (Princes) Necalli and Nelli, while Yaotaca births Nalhen's first daughter, the Cīhuapīlli (Princess) Papan.
- Archduchy of Lotharingia: "Were Di": The French have accepted the Alliance to gain security and strength against the English. This being offered to the French as the Archduke and the Emperor belives that England is a common enemy of all in Europe and even more so to the irish. Kaiser Karl wanting to protect the Irish and all Gaels who suffer from English opression, as they have been under much attack by the English since the Creation of England. Seeing the Successes in Wales, Charles sends a force of 5,000 troops by boat to the English town of Heybridge. This being seen as a small but yet good Position to be safe from direct english action while being close enough to London and the rest of Central England. The small force being able to go trough the English navy with Help of the Lotharingian navy, who put all her effort in getting the soldiers into the small town. The habours of Antwerp, Amsterdam, The hague and many more are being paid by the Archduke of Lotharingia to produce more and more ships. Even if this is directly quite stressing on the treasury of the Court, he gets loans and extra funds from Merchants wanting to break into the English market. Charles promissing to not tax any Lotharingian Merchant in England for the next 15 years After years of writing Emperor Charles finally finishes the Great reforming document of them, The Imperial Charter of 1357. Charles Finishing the work on the 25th of August 1357, after hard effort writing and listening to imperial members ideas. One of these reforms being clearly stating all electors for the new emperor, and having these elections take place in one city from now on. This causing a more simple and better admistrative, as all of it is now explained. Food prices in the Archduchy begin to lower slightly, as the population begins to slowly recover from the Plague, although there is still lack of Young children as many perished in the Black Death. Thus creating a big gap in Population where there are not many elders nor Children, this issue of children not being solved as much as wished. This comes due to the fact that having children is still quite expensive, although even with this setback the Nobility decides to have children anyway for the sake of Inheritance. With the expansion of the Lotharingian Textile market, the price of Vexilloids begins to drop down slightly to a point where almost all of the the Nobility can afford some high quality Flags. Lotharingia being one of the biggest providers of Flags in the whole of western Europe, and Germany specifically. This making it so that most of the Flags of Germany have adopted the specific Lotharingian shades of colour for their flags. Brabantine green often being described as Sprouts yellow by many importers of Flag due to the fact that these sprouts were often eaten by the merchants selling their flags.
- Republic of Venice: In February, when the winter starts to slowly make room for the spring, the constant artillery bombardment against the heavily damaged city walls continues. The forces are gathered in late March with more experienced officers from the Balkans, while less experienced officers are sent to Smyrna to make their first steps in leading an army. during this period the siege is held tighter by around 1,000 men crossing the Bacchiglione river more south, and a net of guards is patrolling even minor roads, so that no supplies can enter the city, no food, weapons or material to repair the fortifications. A charge is started again, this time with flaming projectiles supporting the troops trying to enter the city, while flaming barrels of oil shatter behind the city walls, setting houses in the quarters near the wall aflame, making a retreat of the defenders impossible. The Doge-General sends 10,000 men to break the defenses once and for all. 4,000 attack from the southeast, 5,000 from the north and the 1,000 men who crossed the river are enforced by another 1,000 men to divide the forces by pretending to prepare a charge on the western gates of the wall (ALGO, PLEASE). While Padua’s eastern quarters continue turning into ashes, Doge della Scala continues to draw more plans on how to regain the glory of the republic. With the attacks on the prominent leaders of the rebellion, though failing, have shown enough that they should be very afraid. In a letter he describes these attempts as a precursor to what will come. Now, openly a bounty of 200 Venetian Gold Ducates is put on the heads of da Polenta and Gritti, 250 for each if they are captured alive (MOD RESPONSE ON THE SUCCESS, PLEASE). Conscriptions in Istria and Dalmatia take place (as it is common), as well as many volunteers from Crete and Corsica sign up to fight in the civil war, looking for great fortunes to be made as soldiers. These men are about 3,000 to 3,500 in number and are extensively trained in Istria, before being sent to battle and serve as reserves before that. SECRET As the small state of Urbino may intervene in favor of the separatists, the San Marinese leaders are contacted. They are offered to join the war on the Venetian side and being able to strike a major blow against their main rival Urbino. After the war and in the case of a Venetian victory, the san marinese would be permitted to treat Urbino as they please. (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED) SECRET END Plans are drawn to march on Verona this summer, but to approach the leadership differently this time, since the Doge’s family, the della Scala family are the rulers of said city, and therefore the Doge has a right to enter his own personal possessions. However, no man will enter Verona before Padua has been broken and their treasonous Signiori hanged. trade with foreign nations continues largely without problems, since the Romagna has no navy and trade can be done via the colonies as well. the textile, wine and wheat production in Corsica flourishes, especially while agriculture and the production of tools and ships on Crete are on the rise again. These revenues keep the Venetian treasuries afloat, while state-ordered imports are reduced to steel and wood and wool or cotton to sustain the large textile industry and especially the Arsenale, who are producing more weapons and armor than any separatist could dream of. Textiles are produced in Venice proper as well, along with high quality glass and ships. The disease known as influenza, meanwhile, is continued to be studied. However, the theory stating that its caused by a bad alignment of the stars is rejected, since such a phenomenon would make a way larger group of people infected by the disease. An alternative theory begins to take hold, namely that bad air caused by the smell of rotting corpses and feces on the streets could cause it.
- San Marino had worked many years to establish a treaty with Urbino, and as such would not join an alliance without Papal permission.
- Japanese Empire: Japanese historians finally delineate a name for the period known simply as the Restoration period, or the Uda period taking the name from the Emperor who launched the Imperial restoration decades ago. The adoption of this naming finally sees the Muromachi period having finally ended as it becomes clear the Emperor and his court are here to stay. Emperor Katsumoto highly pleased with the performance of the heir produced from his early marriage to the princess so many years ago officially names Yoshishege the grand administrator for all of Japan with wide ranging support. The advancement of the land survey system has effectively catapulted the man into legendary status as tax and manpower increases have been notable and the system has effectively increased the efficiency of the tax system by nearly 20 percent. As Grand administrator Yoshishege immediately begins tackling resistance to the implementation of the currency system seeing it as a stain on his honor that this system has not been implemented in full yet. The nobles refusing to adopt the system are immediately brought to heel as he marshalls nearly 10,000 men and marches south the force showing up unexpectedly as Yoshishege has yet to ever command an army. His forced march brings the Imperial army to the doorsteps of four resistant nobles in a period of two days previously unheard of in terms of marching orders for a Japanese army. Having used the imperial road network and having forced marched his army, the show of force brings the nobles into line as their attempt to resist was much more passive rather than hoping to raise an army to resist. The nobles concede and adopt the currency. The Emperor seeing the necessity of creating a much more elite force creates a program for the nobles and freemen alike which are part of the levy to be examined in matters of mind, body, and skill. These are noted to be the best of the best of the swordsmen of Japan and the Imperial court guards are created with plans to reach 3,000 strong and be the direct guards and soldiers. They are to be directly armed and equipped by the Imperial government with the best armor and arms specifically with the newest evolution of the Japanese sword. The Uda period Katana which begin to be forced for the current 500 standing Imperial guardsmen. Establishing suncretic system with Buddhism runs into a few hiccups as clear resistance with some buddhist shrines and temples over marrying the two traditions becomes clear as Shinto preists under imperial order attempt to reconcile the differences. The new temple of the Kensei order in Kyoto grows slowly as many ronin are more interested in the dealings and politics of the capital rather than an order of religious samurai. The expansion into sakhalin continues in earnest as more families arrive to claim land and a small logging industry begins to start up here to take advantage of the trees on the island. The art of sword making begins to evolve further in Japan as more effective less prone to breaking Katana begin to emerge with the same kind of care and zeal in their creation as the previous swords. Known as the Uda-Katana named after the restoration era emperor becomes common as they are a bit thicker and longer and also less prone to breaking in comparison to the older tanto blades and older katana developed following the mongol invasions. The development of new ships continues integrating the heavier woods and structural difference in using mostly more solid wood pegs to keep the ships together in a structural integrity sense. The trade fleet continues to expand as markets in southeast asia open up to the southern trade guilds who begin trade across the region effectively with many starting to gain some serious profit out of the ventures. The issue of piracy abounds, however, and the trade ships are allowed to hire out soldiers to act as security for the trade ships, equipped with normal armaments and more notably hand cannons with the trade ships having a few larger cannons for last resorts against the relatively lesser equipped pirates.
- Kingdom of Eiru: Edmund Mortimer declares himself Prince of Wales and calls on the Welsh people to drive out the English invader and takes command of the army besieging Caernarfon castle. A surprise night assault by the Welsh, German and Irish Army on the night of a new moon is launched with the diverted river opening up more frontage to attack as the tunnel is dropped bringing down a section of the east wall while soldiers with rams and ladders attack the south wall.
- Tian China: With the invasion of Taiwan now complete with the complete crushing of the remaining native forces in the battle of Shaling, we are able to fully extend our territory over the entirety of the island, with the native kingdoms beginning to be directly integrated into the provencial system of the empire as we begin fully establishing the new province of Taiwan. The costal city of Shaojing, located in the location of OTL Tainan at the mouth of the of the Zengwen river, and one of the most well established and oldest Chinese settlements on the island, is selected as the provinces capital, and the new governor of the province, when he arrives latter in the year, will take up residence in the city and administrate the rest of the island from there. The native population of the island is largely allowed to continue living in their ancestral areas and keep their lands as long as they did not actively help fight against the invasion, but they are increasingly encouraged with some amount of force to adopt a more agricultural, stationary lifestyle and give up on the nomadic lifestyle many had continued to live even with the increasing organization of the new native polities following the introduction of Chinese technology to the island. Those native settlements on the island are seized as new centers of administration for the areas around them, and increasingly behind to be home to large amounts of Chinese settlers in larger amounts than in almost any other areas (despite the general settlement program being encouraged across the island), and many of the natives increasingly begin to be driven out of these areas into the countryside over time, although this is more of an informal thing and will never become official policy. The governor of the province, as one of his first actions upon assuming the office, also orders the beginning of the construction of a number of fortifications in these cities to serve as centers of Chinese control throughout the island, and to form the centers of administration of each of the few county’s of the province, based along the divisions of the previous native kingdoms. This also accelerated the beginning of the shift to a demographic of Han populated urban areas and largely native populated agricultural areas (with the exception of the western coast counties, which also have a large amount of ritual Chinese settlement due to the longer period of Chinese presence and settlement in these regions. The Emperor also marks the beginning of a new period of revitalization following the resumption of normality after the plague by announcing the beginning of a great infrastructure project to repair and improve the many great road networks that flow through the heart of the imperial realm, which had fallen into disrepair following the invasion of the barbarian mongols and which had not really been allowed to be repaired during the constant crises a facing the earth reign of the current emperor. This year is also marked as the year which many will latter speak of as the begging of a new period in Chinese poetry, art, literature and general culture as the emperor beggins making attempts to patronize many Chinese authors and poets, and starts sponsoring great works of art now that the empire once again has access to funds it doesn’t have to spend dealing with a disaster, and the many new figures emerging from the period of the plague and great famine have profoundly changed views caused by growing up in a period of such strife, as a new generation raised in such a disasterous time and those from the civil war before them begin to exert a large amount of influence on the new direction of Chinese culture, which has been profoundly effected by these events. Although one may expect that this would have resulted in a lot more pessimism and grimness in such things, and in some cases this is true, especially in the works of such artists as Yang Hunzhou or Chen Hui, many others instead showcase a growing sense of optimism and increasingly triumphalist and optimistic tone in Chinese society, as many view the ending of the plague as a sign that the new dynasty had finnaly proven itself as worthy to the gods and heavens, and thus begin showcasing a new direction in literature and artwork of predictions of future prosperity and symbols of rebirth in the wake of the great disaster. The Emperor also commissions the great scholar Qian Wu to write a great work of literature as an account of the fall of the Yuan and his reign so far, only to be fully completed upon his death, which will latter become one of the most celebrated works of literature within Chinese culture, similar to the romance of the three kingdoms or other great works on similar periods. We also begin to become more actively involved in trading with our tributaries once again, as we begin trading in increasing amounts with Japan in the great fur trade that has begun in the north, with Siberian fur becoming very popular, especially among the nobility in the court of Luoyang.
- Poland-Lituhania: Reforms continue. Mercedines continue their activities in Lithuania. Road's continue to be built and expanded on. Following the victories of the previous year. The siege of Bursa the Turkish capital begins. Prince Andrzej working with the other commanders of the Holy League begin gonig about constructing a wall outside the range of the City's defences to prevent supplies from potentially reaching overland and to also prevent any possibly reinforcements from breaking through the city. Andrzej's now feared cavalry begin applying light armor similar to those employed by the Turkish and Mongolian forces reinforced with chainmail to improve their protection while still allowing them to employ take advantage of their mobility and versatility on the battlefield and in skirmishes. The Polih-Lithuanian Cavalry carry out patrols of roads bloackading land routes to the city and skirmishing any caravans or scouts coming from the smaller beyliks to discourage them from assisting the Ottomans, and focus on protecting their own territories. The Polish foot soldiers help set uo the siege equipment. Andrzej also employs the tactics used by the crown during the Siege of Wroclaw employing gun powder kegs to try to blast into the wall under tunnels, and catapulting the decaying bodies of dead Turks into the city to spread disease and gunpowder kegs to employ shock and awe and to startle them so as to prevent a comfortable rest for the defenders. As the walls fall toward the end of the year the Polish and Lithuanian men are amongst the first to indulge in the pillaging of the Muslims of the city. A great slaughter goes on for days with the screams slowly but surely replaced by a great amount of laughter and roaring of the victorious and now wealthy crusading forces and the moans of their new whores from the camp outside the city walls. Prince Andrzej all the while mourns the loss of his brother who's eager to share in the reputation of his brother died as the first wave of men stormed the city fallen to an enemy arrow. In his sorrow and triumph Prince Andrzej decides to continue his work with the Latin Empire in retaking the near east for the Catholic Church.
- Latin Empire of Romania: Another year, another major battle. So goes the life of the crusaders in the Latin Empire, under the blessed banner of the Holy League. Soon after the capture of Myrlea and the local port, news comes in from the Marmara Sea, which is now completely free of Ottoman influence and dominated by Venetian and Padinian ships, that Nicomedia had also fallen to the Byzantines and that the Ottomans from the Bosporus region were also consolidating down in Bursa. By all estimations, the Ottomans have 30,000 troops in and around Bursa, their capital city. With the Orthodox troops of Byzantium and Wallachia accounting for 35,000 after Nicomedia and 33,000 Catholic troops remaining in western Anatolia, the Turks are well-outnumbered. We engage in typical siege tactics, including blockading all trade in and out of the city. We receive shipments of gunpowder from the Mediterranean, and use that innovatively to explode along their walls, hoping to not only penetrate the walls but keep the defenders up at all hours of the day and night. As Ottoman troops come outside the walls to skirmish and are killed, we fling their decaying corpses back into the city. Soon, the siege weapons used at Nicomedia have arrived at Myrlea, where they are quickly transported to assist against Bursa. We are careful to maintain supply lines for ourselves, with patrols between the port at Myrlea and the siege at Bursa being actively controlled against Ottoman stragglers. [SECRET] Having cultivated Greek support, and Bursa having only recently fallen to the Ottomans a few decades back, we reach out to contacts within the city-walls to see if we can reach a critical mass and force the gates of the city open. We also convey a message for the protection of Greeks for the ensuing carnage once the city falls to follow the Jewish example during Passover this year, by which sign we will know not to ransack their belongings. [END SECRET]. If and when the city does fall, our commander, Pascal de Renould, authorizes the sack of the city and seizure of all valuables to fund the armies that had gathered to defeat the Ottomans.
- Nyazwe: At the age of 64, Zvakave Akashinga dies in his sleep amidst the start of a civil war within his realm. Having failed to bring peace to the land, and having died knowing one of his sons betrayed him, his family, and his nation, the torch of leadership passes on to Akashinga's eldest son and favorite, Chatunga. In the wake of his brother's sudden betrayal of the state, and claims of his incompetence as a leader, the newly-minted Zvakane Chatunga moves to rectify most of the glaring issues in his nation, and begins to clean house within his government and military. Having urged caution for most of his life in both the political and military fields, Chatunga chaffed at the appointments made by his father of officials from various ethnic groups with no loyalties to the nation of Shona-speaking citizens within Nyazwe. Wisely, Chatunga does not pursue a path of immediate vengeance against the self-proclaimed Mutape clans in the north, instead taking time to take stock of his current situation and the loss of manpower within his armies. Chatunga and his body of spies fan out across the country, removing any and all officials deemed incapable of the roles given to them under Akashinga, while a new, all-Shona bureaucracy is established in Nyazwe. All of the ministers of the Great Officiate are replaced with men with backgrounds in Faraic philosophies, military conquests, political discourse, and knowledge of the social structure of the nation; all men of merit and expertise in their given fields. Having been thoroughly vetted by Chatunga himself, these four men share the same goals as Chatunga, and share his desire to bring peace back to the entirety of Nyazwe in due time. Within the military, Chatunga has all ishe in charge of the various units of the south who failed to put down the rebellion or allowed it to happen, put to death or stripped of all their wives, lands, livestock, offspring, and possessions, and shipped out to the Swahili city-states to serve out the rest of their lives as slaves to the Arabs. A new set of laws is introduced for the military, mandating the rotation of commanders of misasa to new units every two years, to prevent them from obtaining too much influence over their men. Likewise, governors are limited to five-year terms of service in the remaining districts of Nyazwe, likewise preventing them from gaining too much local power within their regions of operation. Batirai and Munesu are spared the purges of the military's leadership, having proven themselves wise leaders with strong loyalties to the state of Nyazwe. Controlling two of the original three mobile field armies created by the traitorous Wataida, Batirai and Munesu are allowed to remain in their positions and help Chatunga in the civil war. Having defected to the rebels, Wataida take sup a commanding position within the ruling body of the Mutape, who have renounced the progressive policies and edicts of the late Kutonga and Akashinga, and begun reintroducing the old ways and teachings of traditional Shona society. Reliant upon agriculture and livestock, the districts of the rebel Mutape clans had historically proven difficult to mold into the Faraic philosophies promoted by Lusvingo, leading to numerous leading members of the population to reject the will of Akashinga while he lived. With Wataida on their side, the chieftains have begun to promote their side as the future of Nyazwe, returning to the simpler way of life that had been apart of Shona civilization for more than two hundred years. Unlike his older brother who had been given charge of the modernizing and forward-thinking north, Wataida had been sent to the rural and underdeveloped south by his father, where he came to appreciate the old traditions of the Nguni that had been swept away overnight by his father and grandfather. Disgusted with this disrespect of their peoples traditions and culture, Wataida had denounced his brother, who had been selected to succeed their father as ruler because of his shared vision of Nyazwe. Thus, seeking to secure his gains in the rebelling territories, Wataida exploits his brother's overly-cautious nature and unwillingness to attack to fortify his positions in Mutape. He keeps his army at Malumba, seeking to use the rough terrain around the city to establish a bulwark against the rebuilding armies of Nyazwe, helping to prevent them from bypassing Malumba to move on to the coastal regions of Mutape. Controlling the only road leading to the city of Muromo Wenyika, the Mutape are able to secure trade with the outside world to sustain themselves, using the half of the navy stationed in the port city to protect the merchant ships as the leave port. Lacking a road leading from the southern port to the northern port, the forests of the region for the time being serve as a natural barrier to any armies moving between them. For now, both Nyazwe and Mutape use their breathing space to buy enough time to marshal their forces and take stock of the unfolding civil war.
With the fall of Bursa and capture of Sultan Murad, Emperor John V dissolves the Sultanate and assumes direct control over the Byzantine Theme of Bythinia, in accordance to his deal with the Pope. With the threat of the Ottomans destroyed, he demands that all the crusader forces should immedately leave or be forced out. Ibrahim Osman, however, has disappeared.
Holy Roman Emperor Charles VII publishes the new Imperial Charter of 1357, this begining to show a change of Direction in the Empire. The Direction of law and prosperity and longivity, as this finaly sets all electors in stone. New electors being states such as Hesse and Nassau, while the the Roman emperor even Elevates a state. The archduchy of lotharingia becoming the Kingdom of Lotharingia, which is part of the Greater Kingdom of Germany.
With Hispania suffering internal disorder of due to the Islamic revolts, the older rites of the Western Church begins to reappear among the Basque population of former Navarre. This is not a revolt, but a passive resistence against the former oppression of Hispanic Catholocism.
Siezing advantage of the weakened position of Venice in their civil war, the Kingdom of Hungary-Croatia raises troops on the border near Dalmatia. He demands that the Venetian Republic cedes trading and docking rights in Dalmatia back to the Kingdom of Croatia. This is also supported by the Archbishop Ivan Saraka, who envisions Dalmatia becoming a strong merchant republic in its own right.
Despite France's attempts to secure financial control, a huge peasent revolt ensues led by Jacque Bonhomme and William Kale. They manage to briefly seize control of Paris.
The Tian city of Nanjing in China has grown to become the largest city in the world, surpassing the city of Hangzhou in the south. This is also helped by the famines and plagues in recent years that affected the latter.
Dutch mystic Gertrude van der Oosten reports a vision from God where she was given the stigmata. She prayed that it would be taken away, but instead the blood stopped flowing out of her wounds.
Gregory of Rimini becomes a prominent Italian philosopher in the Papal States. His theology is that abstract icons such as religious symbols only have meaning as far as they are reminders of the Gospel, and have no power of their own. He also has beleifs in predestination and irresistible grace.
- Mali Empire: The tributary system of Nigeria continues to increase the dependency of pagan African states to the empire. As Jabal Asada (Sierra Leone) is integrated into the western territories of the empire, the port city of Koya (OTL Freetown) is expanded with new cogs. The military logistics are also expanded, adding new siege cannons from Europe, but only insomuch as to replace earlier cannons that got damaged. After being impressed with the miracles displayed by Abu Yunus the previous year, Mansa Ayyob summoned the prophet to audience in the audacious manor of Musa's palace. The hagiographies of Abu Yunus describe this meeting as a great debate between two incredible minds, as Mansa Ayyob was also famed as being a prominent intellectual as well as a monarch. Mansa Ayyob ultimately accepted the words of Abu Yunus as legitimate visions of God, which greatly enhanced the reputation the propeht already had. It is also said, in apocryphal legends, that he performed miraculous healings on various servants of the emperor at this same event. The Manding secret societies are also used to further integrate regions of Kanem and Nigeria into the empire. It was roughly around this point that the great influences of Islamic art and architecture began to take hold known as the "African Renaissance". Kawsu ibn Idris, the most prominent architect of this time, carefully analyzed many texts and ideas from the much older Caliphate of Cordoba, and similar Muslim dynasties of Andalusia, and managed to revive much of their architectural styles into new Mosques he designed for Mali. This comes with prominent colors displayed in mosaics, and multiple rows of columns set off by vaulted arches. On top of this, however, adds other artistic touches utilizing European styles. The vaulted arches of the Andalusian style is complemented by flying butresses on the exterior, which flows up toward four high spires which are used as minarets.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: The diplomatic party in the Kingdom of Champa are withdrawn back to Dai Viet, but not before informing Prince Che Mo to assemble his allies to fight. Emperor Chinh has called upon levys from across the Kingdom numbering at 9,500 and begun distributing the weapons and armor ordered from the blacksmiths allowing him to equip up to 8,270 troops with weapons and armor leaving 1,230 men utilizing basic farming implements as weapons. The Emperor orders the storage depots to contrbiute food from their stocks to feed and supply the army bound for the Kingdom of Champa. Furthermore, Thái y viện (the Royal Institute for Physicians) are ordered to provide physicians to accompany troops into Champa. To provide amenities for the troops, camp followers (prostitutes, cooks, slaves from Lan Xang raids, entertainment troupes, etc.) are assembled on the Emperor's orders to follow the troops during their campaign. 4,000 men of the royal levy (fully equipped, two years worth of training, conducted raids against Lan Xang, 250 are cataphracts) and 10,000 local levies (8,500 fully equipped, 1,000 basic troops, 500 mounted troops) are marched across border of Lan Xang led by three-sixths of the existing Officer Corps (Algorithm/Mod Response) and follow the laid out battle plans that target identified weaknesses in the enemies defenses using intelligence gathered over the last few years. Efforts are made by the Emperor to smuggle supplies from food to medicine to Che Mo's forces. The remaining 975 men of the Royal levy and 500 local levy troops (230 basic, 220 fully equipped, 50 mounted troops) are ordered to secure the border at Lan Xang and also conduct further raids into Lan Xang under one-sixth of the Officer Corps. The remaining two-sixths of the Officer Corps are tasked with preparing the remaining local levy forces (7,950 basic troops) for defense of the Kingdom should the troops on either border falter. The blacksmiths have managed to complete three-fifths of the royal order for weapons and equipment with one-seventh of iron production still set aside for their use. Across the Kingdom, one-nintgh of food production is still seized from farmers with compensation for the food taken being lowered to save funds for the war effort. Gladiator fights have been put on hold for the course of the war as the governments attention turns toward the war effort. The scholars from the Expedition in China have managed to send back their obervations and newfound knowledge regarding gunpowder weapons which is in turn supplied to the scholars under imperial patronage working on producing gunpowder weapons a new time table is set for gunpowder weapons to be produced by as soon as 1373. As able-bodied men are drawn from across the Kingdom for the war, shipyards are only able to complete six ships (19 ships total) this year with the Minister of the Navy assigned to ensure that at least 10-13 of these ships are ready for future combat. Construction on Kingdom defenses remains at two=thirds of the laborers overseen by the Minister of War with the other one-third are committed to roadbuilding under the guidance of the Minister of the Economy although the roadbuilding situation has been slowed down greatly as resources are sent to other locations that are of higher priorities to the Kingdom. The 12 children who are a part of the Emperor's reformation of the Examination system have been brought personally to the capitol to receive a proper education under the protection of the Emperor unfortunately, new testing of the peasantry was unable to be conducted this year as the Kingdom's resources are devoted elsewhere. The intelligence and internal security ministers have been ordered to commit all their resources to ensuring that corruption and dissent is kept to a minimum throughout Dai Viet and are working alongside the remaining local levies to arrest traitors/dissenters. To drum up further funds for the war effort, an emergency tax has been put into place but certain nobles and administrators have been given tax exemptions to ensure their cooperation with the royal government in these trying times. Kiều Sơn Hà's expedition continues its exploration of China taking note of irrigation systems as well as local government organization.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: During the ottoman are defeat we suprise that anatolia is no longer Muslim and become Christianity, the order Nicholas' follow to cross and we heard that Hungary is going to invade us as well but anyway, across the commision Wallachia we allowing 10,000 troops to beat up the Hungarians that are going to invade us. So, meanwhile, the council establish a new fortifications border to be protect Nicholas's development continue to safety, the main home of Wallachia which to protect us among invader in our main territory we ask if we could send 20,000 soldiers to having herd and such thing to attacking our plan attack for it most of citizen keep trading, and organized their main home for family they are able to call the noble or the commission. Anyway, we ask to have 20,000 for us at the way a family from Thrace affect us by the sick of death plague which is cause a terrible event we built a minehouse on the cave to be protected made by the House of Bassarab and the generously Leader, Prince Nicholas Alexander the minister of the council is publish a new ship of cannon fire built up by Trans-Balkanian tribe people who convert to Christianity before they're were paganism during in those dark age medieval some worker of the authority's Noblemens and mankind establish those cannon fire ship to attacking the Hungarian people to their invasion plan under the influence of House of Bassarab and the nation of their main Balkan's territory at later, the orthodox slavonic pray at vierge marie in the wall of the House of Bassarab to be protected toward the Black Plague as hell our council, set up 24,000 army to push it off Hungarian with herd weapons which is developed and organized by them theres some new people who assign in the noble's authority who are 15 persons of their male had a new idea concept to protect the Trans-Carpatian to progressing the main situation battle with campaign Hungarian we constructed a new branch of ship for the strategy which is would lead by a commander.
- Iceland: The King assigns his old Papal tutor to his son and the population reaches 26.400. The Cardinal of Ireland wishes to translate some Theological scripts into Iceland to make studying them easier(Papal Response Needed). A daughter is born to the king named Agnes honor of her mother who died during childbirth, many people say it happened because she didn’t pray at the grave of St. Ari. Coastal forts are built on the west coast. The widow of the former governor of Akureyri name Wilhelmina Lever is elected to the Mayoral council but many people say she bought that position but she managed to fund a public school named “Leverskóli”.
- Papal diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI allows the translation of the Theological scripts.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. Major offensive campaigns are done in both the Mixtec and the Xalisco, as the victory streak in re-occupying territory has proven fruitful. With the Mixtec Kingdom now defeated and a majority of their territory falling once again under Tarascan governance, the war switches back to being one of the Xalisco and the Tarasca. The Xalisco Cazonci's son, now seven years old, is assassinated by a mysterious man, whom, according the eye-witness reports, brandished the emblem of squirrels across himself. This isn't looked into, however, based on the Xalisco Confederation's continued defeat against the Empire. The final siege of the war, the Siege of the Red Moon (OTL Tepic), takes place this year. The followers of Izel, now under major persecution, flee into the northern tribes of the Chichimeca. While there, it is regarded by archaelogical sites that they began influencing large portions of the southern Chichimeca to follow their faith, while also allying themselves with various warlords, although at this moment, they remain guests in the nomadic courts of their warrior-generals. Izel's faith, however, mingles complementary with Chichimecan polytheism. Cazonci Nalhen's three wives continue to raise their children, although separately.
- Papal States: Pope Innocent VI and all people of the Papal States celebrates the destruction of the Ottoman Sultanate. Masses are celebrated and the Te Deum is chanted. The sound of bells can be heard across the Papal States to show the triumph of the Christendom over the terrible Ottomans. Considering the Christian victory over the Turks a miracle resulting from the intercession of the Virgin Mary through the Rosary, the pontiff proclaims 7 October as the feast day of Mary, Queen of Victory and of the Most Holy Rosary. He also proclaims that Our Lady of Victory is the patron of the Holy League. When the news about the carnage that happened in Bursa come to Rome, Innocent and the Curia care very little. The pope says that is the minimum that these heathen deserve after they dared to threaten the Christians of Europe. All those that fought in the Crusade are considered heroes. Due to the situation in Navarre, the pope writes a letter to be read in the churchs of Latin and Basque rite of Hispania where reafirms the status of sui iuris of the Western Church and says that their hierarchy is independent of the Hispanic ecclesial hierarchy. Innocent also forbid Hispanic bishops of Latin-rite of meddling in affairs of the Basque-rite and vice versa. They will only interfer if one rite asks for the help of the other. Elena Cimorelli starts to organize the building that was given to her by the pope. The building is located in a old villa in the outskirts of Ostia. She names it as the Convent of Saint Augustine and soon her followers come to live in this community. A chapel is build were these sisters come to pray. Elena continues to receive visions of saints and of Christ, most showing His Passion. After hearing about the situation of Gertrude van der Oosten, Elena writes to her comforting Gertrude and saying that God has chosen her to show His wonders to the world. She also invite Gertrude and other beguines to visit her community [MOD response needed, please]. The commission that analysed the miracle attributed to Ari Guðmundsson comes to the conclusion that this miracle is true. Then pope Innocent declares him as Blessed. Due to chaotic situation in Italy, the Holy Father sends Cardinal Francesco Brancaleoni as his legate to crown Emperor Charles VII as king of Lotharingia.
- Gertrude visits Rome
- Swiss Confederacy: With the Holy League's victory over the Ottomans in Bursa, the bulk of the Swiss troops are withdrawn to Europe along with the rest of the crusader forces as per the deal with the Byzantines. However, covertly, a group of around two dozen skilled mercenaries remains behind in Anatolia to try to locate and capture the missing Ibrahim Osman, as the Swiss commander still considered him a potential threat to the Holy League. (Mod response) Said commander also sends an envoy to Padinia, asking them if they have any mercenaries or assassins who can help with this matter. (Padinia response) The Western Church in Unterwalden continues to send missionaries through Navarre and the adjacent regions of Castile that have majority Basque population, hoping this will lead to the formation of an organised Basque force to push for independence. Swiss workmen and mercenaries continue to labour in Basel to help reconstruct the city after the 1356 earthquake. In Zürich, some boats are built to ferry people along the length of Lake Zürich to Rapperswil and Uznach in the Canton of Toggenburg. The Canton of Toggenburg sends an envoy to the small County of Windegg, now surrounded on three sides by the Swiss Cantons of Glarus, Schwyz and Toggenburg, suggesting Windegg join the Canton of Toggenburg for the benefits of shared infrastructure and trade. (Mod response) After moving his family into Lenzburg Castle, Ulrich VI von Lenzburg notices the castle wasn't well-maintained under the Habsburgs and parts of it have fallen into disrepair, so he commissions about a hundred workmen to restore the castle to its full glory. Domestically, the government works on improving roads and building new ones in the large Cantons of Bern and Sion. The joint military of the Confederacy works on improving the fortifications of the city of Zürich, still the most populous city and largest trade centre of the nation.
- Windegg joins Toggenburg.
- Kingdom of lotharingia: "Were Di": The Imperial Charter of 1357 has Elevated Lotharingia the Archduchy of Lotharingia to a Kingdom, a kingdom which is part of the Greater kingdom of Germany. Thus unifying the Duchy and Archduchy of Lotharingia into one state with Charles as its first king. Charles asking to be officialy be crowned as king in the city of Mechelen, as this city is head of the Mechelen Parliament and is the central location of all actions of the Lotharigian realm. (Pope Response). The first action the King of Lotharingia does is meet Pisacus den Meeuw von Afrika, which is a nickname that Hendrickus Pisacus has gained since he has left Lotharingia. Hendrickus being very intrested in the changes that have happend since he started his trip to the Gold in 1331 Ad, the biggest change being sadly enough the masive amouth of deaths. Even with him seeing some death of a Plague in Ethiopia he did not know that in his native land this small plague would be an event that would have the the name of Apocalypse in their hands. Pisacus even giving a Handwriten original version to the now King of Lotharingia, this being as a way to tell the King and emperor that he understands the sufering of all affected by the Black Plague. After discussing the plague, Hendrickus does begin to change topic. Pisacus explaining what he understood about the African kingdoms, specificly the Kingdom of Gold. Where they have a system simmilar to the Heyst Council, where there are clans represented to the Emperor of Gold. These clans being all headed by a King who's like an high Noble, although often more corrupt as their interests lie with keeping their power and making their rivals lose their power. The commoner and Peasant having absolutely no power over their local politics, which doesn't help the corruption. Corruption which is unable to be fought as the Empire is equel to the Glory of the Roman empire. A Roman empire that is now Lead by the King of Lotharingia, this empire having non of the issue's with corruption as the New imperial reforms are now fully implimented. The king of Lotharingia even sending a small force of 1.000 with cannons trebuchets, and most important of all Architects able to construct new infrastruction in heysbridge. The soldiers in Heybridge Marching south to the town Southend-on-Sea which is closer to the Delta of the Thames river. The Lotharingian troops even building camp near the Beaches to control what's entering and exiting the Thames, the soldiers even building a small dock. King Charles Recognises his vassal the Lord of Horne Mortimer as Prince of Wales. Karl also Promising to enforce the Power of the Commoner and specificly the English parliament in England. The king also promising all english continental land, if they are to join the war against the english (Mod Response). Many Lotharingian merchants are asking the king, if he could help with improving the important ports and previsions. This being the key to better trade with the east, which is getting harder with the Chaos in annatolia and the Levant. Thus needed the improvements to keep African and mostly asian imports affordable.
- Papal diplomacy: Due to the conflicts in Italy, Pope Innocent VI sends as legate Cardinal Francesco Brancaleoni to crown Charles as king. The pontiff says that when the situation calms, he will go personally to Lotharingia and will do another coronation.
- Japanese Empire: A new island discovery near Taiwan this year prompts the claim and settlement of multiple merchants on the island who set up a small base to expand the reach of the navy and serve as a port for the islands. Isigaki as it is named is brought into the fold quickly as it takes up a primary spot rather quickly for patrols on trade routes and hunting piracy. The development of Manchuria takes some precedence this year as its position in direct trade with Korea has put Aimoi securely in the crosshairs to become a shining example of the Japanese empires buildup on the mainland. The city expands to accomodate its growing population now standing at 2,000 having seen an influx of Japanese, Koreans, and Manchus as its prominence as a trade city grows. The regions surrounding the city continue to see development of agriculture and the presense of a small force of Manchu nomands under Japanese payment effectively pacifies the area from further raids as attempts to develop had previously been stopped by sporadic raids of the non Japanese rules manchus. The growth of the fur trade now expanding as a status symbol in China and some of the Indo-chinese kingdoms prompts a drive north as the small settlement of Chugeyo is founded with about 200 people arriving to take advantage of the developing trade route coming out of the north running through the area. The expansion specifically into Sakhalin results in a series of treaties and small engagements which bring many more of the Evnikh and Ainu peoples of Sakhalin under imperial control. They are more or less left alone and their villages are not forced to relocate but rather centralize and develop and money is poured into Sakhalin to effectively help the willing tribals settle or to give those who wish not to settle, a clearcut job which could in fact enrich them and give them clear access to food from the Empire which would allow these tribals to prevent famine and starvation during the relatively hard winter months in Sakhalin. The expansion of the Imperial Guard reaches its zenith as 3,000 heavily armed and trained Samurai now stand in Kyoto allowing the Emperor to take a more proactive approach in governing outside of the capital region. The soldiers of the imperial army are split into four separate forces to act as labor pools and garrison forces for the rest of the homeland. Northern Japan and central Japan outside of the capital region see the arrival of the imperial troops at Edo and Sendai respectively and work is immediately begun to address some of projects which currently couldnt be progressed due to lack of labor. Similar things are done as two more 5,000 strong forces arrive in Nagasaki and Hiroshima respectively which are to cover the southern regions now working on labor projects to help develop the region. The Imperial administration has become beleagured as it lacks administrators to cover the intense land survey system implemented by Yoshishege which forces them to both expand the imperial examination system, as well as look to the nobility for help. Nobles.. only in name rather than in lands and titles are co-opted having already acted as pseudo administrators for the empire and are used to help manage this new system as well as expand the administration to help cover the newly opened currency board which helps keep track of the Japanese currency now in circulation. The growth in trade income since trade resumed following the plague on the mainland has now officially made up for the shortfalls seen during the period and then some. Trade income flows into the pockets of the guilds, artisans, and most importantly the imperial treasury. The production of leather, and other animal products has also taken off increasing the general wealth of the freemen and even the peseants to a degree which was unheard of before this. Even the nobility having invested funds into buisiness ventures rather than fighting each other have seen their own income increase greatly which prompts a more lax atitude in social mobility of the lower classes which was previously resisted under Katsumotos deeply unpopular apprenticeship system which went against Japans traditional attitude on social mobility. The completion of new prototypes for the Atakabune are noted by the Emperor and a demonstration is given in Edo bay. Two cannons are set up targeting the ships and unleashed. The newer ships of heavier wood hold up much better while still taking damage while the older ship made up lighter wood suffers extensive damage from just the first shot. The demonstration is ended as the newer ship unloads a heavy cannon from its side shooting out into the sea while the elder ship does the same. The older ship practically rips itself apart as the shot is fired and Emperor Katsumoto and his son both attending the demonstration agree that from now on.. all ships would be built of the heavier wood and the two engineers responsible are highly commended and awarded funds to construct the ships. As the wealth and prosperity of the empire grows so does the issue of corruption. A Koban here, an Ichibuban there.. it looks to go unnoticed until a serious scandal erupts prompting an investigation which showcases the Niigata trade guilds having been lying on their books and attempting to avoid taxes. This is dealt with swiftly and the penalty for this denominated as death and multiple high level members of the guild are executed. However it is also assumped some of this low level corruption occurs across Japan and will be ongoing. Standing orders are given to police and peacekeepers to tackle corruption wherever found and retrieve money rightfully owed to the Emperor. The Kensei order continues to grow slightly as more Ronin in the north having heard of this new form of lifestyle and seeking to end their tenure as wandering swordsman request a Kensei Master to help them establish a temple. The Sendai temple is established quickly with a local Merchant agreeing to become the temples patrons in exchange for these ronin tackling crime in some of the run down areas of the city. More and more power is delegated to Crown Prince Yoshisege as Katsumoto follows in the footsteps of his father and other predecessors. He would pursue the arts specifically the growing art of Uda-restoration which embraces and showcases nature and spirituality. The Obama school of painting is what he submits himself to learn and notices that much of this schools form of art had become more and more prevalent across Japan with it even gracing the halls of the Imperial Palace in Kyoto.
- Tian China: With Taiwan now fully pacified, and a governor appointed, and with the new system of running the province beginning to be established, our administration in the island shifts its focus to the small noble classes of the natives that remain in our administration. Although the leading forces in the Taiwanese kingdoms often fought against us, several powerful local families and many minor ones ended up helping us sabatoge the war efforts of our opponents, and thus were spared from the executions of the ruling class of those who fought against us which had occurred to the other nobles. Thus, they have so far been left in a sort of grey area where their status is uncertain, until this point. It is decided to incorporate them into the administration of the province and integrate them into the new Chinese ruling class of the island, and slowly sinicize them over time until their descendants are indestiguishable from those of those Chinese out in charge of the province by the emperor, and thus incorporate the remaining power structure of the native kingdoms into the provinces running (although many of these “nobles” were just particularly powerful chieftains and their families, who were the closest thing to nobility in Taiwan when it was taken over). As part of the efforts to begin this sinicization process, those notables of the old administration who sided with us are encouraged to adopt Chinese names (often Sinicized versions of their native names), wear Chinese clothing and hairstyles, and speak Chinese in their everyday lives. Although this obviously has only very limited effects on the population at large, among the ruling classes of the islands, the immediately observable effects are more immediately obvious and effective. Although this process is expected to be a long one, and will take decades to be fully implemented, it’s immediate effects are obvious, as the majority of those locals integrated into the administration, knowing that their continued positions of power depend on the goodwill and allowances of the Chinese from the mainland who get their reports of what is going on from the local Chinese leaders, and that it would be advantageous to show that they approve of and are cooperating sith the empires authorities, begin to adopt at least the trappings of Chinese culture, and the appearance of beginning to assimilate. Although this sinicization is often only skin deep (with these individuals often speaking Chinese in public and altering their appearances to fit in with the Chinese populace and their customs and fashions, but continueing to practice their local customs and speak their native languages at home), but not truly assimilating for real. However, many do also begin to make sincere efforts to actually assimilate, and everyone does their best to seem as Chinese as possible, in order to give the impression that they are going along with whatever the imperial government says, and to ensure that their positions are secured, and this will in the future have many effects on their children and descendants, as they will become more and more sinicized with each generation as the appearances of assimilation become more real over time. Meanwhile, on the mainland, similar systems as those being implemented on Taiwan begin to also be applied to the populations of the Chinese ruled portions of Manchuria and more wild lands in the north. Although large amounts of Chinese settlers continue to immigrate into these areas and settle in them directly, the local population (or at least there leaders) are increasingly encouraged to sinicize and adopt aspects of Chinese culture and practices in their daily lives, and in turn they get better treatment. For especially well assimilated families in these regions, the government also begins actively encouraging extra sons of them to migrate from these areas into more central parts of China which were badly effected by the plauge, and settle in these areas to help repopulate them and make them return to productiveness earlier. Although this will obviously be a fairly small amount of people compared to the population of these areas, this is intentional, as although it will likely have a small effect in terms of helping repopulate the regions, it will encourage these people to quickly assimilate, and also provide at least some help with the recovery. This also starts being applied in areas that aren’t even directly under Chinese control, with many families from these regions, which were previously viewed as barbarians (and still are to an extent), being encouraged to migrate into China and move into regions which were previously badly effected by the plauge, something which would have been unthinkable just a few years before. Although this will once again only have relatively minor effects on those areas, it clears up many lands in these areas for Han settlement, and allows us to establish more control over the areas and stake a firmer claim on them, well those who actully do migrate by contrast are quickly forced to assimilate almost entirely by the fact they will be almost entirely surrounded by Chinese people in their new lives. We also continue with the encouragement of immigration to Taiwan.
- Kingdom of Padinia: With the victory but being unable to fully capture Florence Cassono orders his men to surround the city and not allow any messengers out of the city. He also hopes that the internal chaos would mean that they would be unable to get a message out. In an attempt to fully capture the city as quickly as possible. (Algo needed). The forces of the rebels still having not seen any invasion of Pisa and not knowing about the Florentine invasion, the rebel forces move north in an attempt to siege and capture Milan. (Algo needed).
- Latin Empire of Romania: The Latin and Catholic forces of the Holy League move back across the Sea of Marmara, having secured major gains for the Byzantine Empire. The troops are finally returned to their homes following many years of conflict. Emperor William and Latin Patriarch Gaspar celebrate October 7th to honor Mary, Queen of Victory and of the Most Holy Rosary. Chancellor Thomas Pichon travels to Constantinople in order to shore up the relationship with Emperor John V.
- Empire of Hispania: With the Muslim Revolt, 25,000 men organize themselves to be led by the Emperor in efforts to crush the revolt in Andalusia and Granada ready to fight the head of the new Emirate. The marriage between Alhea and Francisco is held in Madrid and a banquet is held afterward. Francisco though must return to his duties in crushing the rebels in Andalusia and with the word of Muslims murdering Christians, persecution of the Muslims and anger amongst the clergy begin to push the Emperor's hand against the Muslim residents. Several Articles are written as a result but none are enacted on as of yet. As Francisco enters Granada, the battle begins as supplies prepared to strike the rebels core is made with the usage of siege weaponry which includes cannons that are used against defenses. The cavalry knock out remaining troops from the sides meant to flank and destroy all of the men there. A request is made to the Holy League including Portugal for assistance in the crushing of the Muslims as the Tax Funded Police and local militias assist in the crushing of violence in the cities amongst the Muslim population across Andalusia with speedy trials being given and public executions set in motion for leaders while those who have targetted the Christian populace are given death immediately. The Western Church by the Basque are accepted just as they have been before but traditional catholicism remains to be encouraged and supported by members of the clergy who have funded for more churches around the Basque region.
The English army having spent most of its last few years disorganized and ill funded due to the effect of the plague on England itself, marshals nearly 20,000 men. 10,000 head north to officially tackle the 7,000 strong Scottish army near York while the remainder move on Wales to evict the Irish. The English fleet also begins moving toward island intending to blockade and prevent the escape of the Welsh and Irish forces.
The English forces currently in France led by Edward the Black Prince scores a victory at Poitiers, capturing King John of France alive. With this victory temporarily ending the conflict in France, the English government is able to better focus on other external threats.
Francesco Ordelaffi, lord of the Venetian-controlled city of Forli, decides to take action into his own hands, and begins invading the Papal states in retaliation to the recent attacks by Urbino. He manages to conquer Meldola and sieges the city of Castrocaro.
The Principality of Moldavia, spanning the historical and recent territory of the Kingdom of Hungary, raises in revolt and reaches out to support from Wallachia, ruled by Prince Bogdan the Founder.
A civil war erupts in Iceland as a large republican faction centered in Reykjavik assembles local militias, demanding a restoration of the All-Thing to depose the current monarchy.
Block printing, an ancient method of mass media used in China and Korea, has spread across Eurasia as a result of the silk road, and is now commonly known in Byzantium and Romania.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: Following the defeat of Dai Viet forces in an attempt to rush the capitol of Champa, the combined forces of Che Mo and Dai Viet have lost 2,500 men bringing their total numbers down to 15,500 men. Recognizing there haste had resulted in defeat, 10,000 men are ordered to begin ransacking the countryside for supplies, wealth and to prevent any Champa troops from approaching the capitol by setting up makeshift obstacles and fortifications. They also set up along the banks of the Song Con River to prevent any approaching reinforcements from the South (Algorithm/Mod Response). The remaining 5,500 troops in the siege force are reinforced by 3,950 troops from the remaining levy left in Dai Viet bringing their numbers up to 9,450 troops leaving only 4,000 local levies to prepare the defense of Dai Viet. 2,000 of the remaining local levies are ordered to patrol the roads that deliver supplies to the forces besieging Vijaya leaving only 2,000 troops to defend and maintain order in the Kingdom. The shipbuilders have managed to turn out seven more ships (26 total ships) which have been mobilized to blockade Vijaya assisted by two ships belonging to Che Mo (Mod Response/Algorithm) with remaining estimates for the fleet at three years until completion. The troops participating in the Siege of Vijaya have been given orders to set up trenches, proper waste management systems, set up tents, poison water supplies, sap the walls, and construct siege engines (Mod Response/Algorithm). Storage depots from across the Kingdom have been ordered to contribute their food stores to the siege and also quarries in the North are ordered to ship down large boulders to be used in the Siege of Vijaya. As the people grow restless from prolonged conflict, the Emperor orders the remaining levy troops to assist farmers across the Kingdom in order to win their support. The 1,475 men committed to the Lan Xang border still continue to conduct light raids against Lan Xang bringing back slaves, food, and supplies for the Kingdom of Dai Viet. For the most part, the Kingdom's defenses have been completed and the laborers have been supplemented by the use of slaves taken from Lan Xang which has increased efficiency and committed toward the roadbuilding. The blacksmiths still continue to produce weapons and arms for the royal order with approximately one year left until completion. Mineral production tax has been decreased even further to allow farmers cheaper access to farming tools with imperial stores estimated to last another four years in a wartime state. The Emperor's examination reforms remain idle with resources committed elsewhere for the time being. The 12 selected children continue their training within the confines of the Imperial palace with very few opportunities to leave the palace. The work of internal spies have born less fruit as of late as nobles and administrators fall into line recognizing the dangers posed to them should Champa or Lan Xang manage to successfully defeat the ruling Dynasty resulting in increased support from them for the time being. The emergency war tax has been lowered as the raids into Lan Xang and the looting currently occurring in Champa have proven somewhat effective in bringing in outside wealth for the Kingdom. The fisherman continue to bring in increased yields of fish, however, the tax on what they bring in has been lessened to allow for the food to be committed to feeding local populations as field armies bring in the necessary food supplies from storage depots and local farmers. The scholars working on gunpowder weapons report that the time table for gunpowder weapons still remains set at 1373 assuming nothing impedes on their progress. Hearing news of a kingdom capable of rivaling the Khmer Empire, Emperor Chinh dispatches diplomatic envoys carrying gifts of silk and incense to make contact with the Ayutthaya Kingdom proposing trade and an alliance between the two kingdoms (Mod Response). In occupied territory that is promised to Dai Viet by Prince Che Mo, Emperor Chinh has ordered the supplies and groves of agarwood to be placed under the strict control of the Imperial government due to the immense value of this resource. Furthermore, the Emperor has ordered the establishment of a personal guard for him, henceforth, known as the Scarlet Dragons consisting of 200 personally handpicked men from existing levies remaining at home and are to serve as the personal escort of the Emperor as well as intelligence agents reporting directly to the Emperor. They are assembled in Hanoi and begin their training in skills such as combat, tactics, formations, and intelligence gathering.
- Raja Uthong graciously accepts this envoy and sends many gifts in return.
- Mali Empire: After fully incorporating the kingdom of Jabal Asada into the Mali Empire, Baraq Al-Shams continues his military career by invading further along the coast at the kingdom of Wydah (OTL Ghana). Since the annexation of Bononam decades earlier, the Mali Empire had extended in an arm particularly far south toward the coast in this region. Wydah remains as the last region separating the empire from this part of the coast. Baraq leads a contingent of 9,000 troops out of Bononam toward the coast, supported by a very small fleet of three cogs recently constructed at Koya (OTL Freetown). The Manding Secret Soceities continue to help integrate these coastal African regions into the empire, as Imams trained and dispatched from Segu and Ghana also work to convert the pagan populations to Islam. For Abu Yunus, it would seem that convincing the Emperor to accept his new religion was his most monumental success yet. However, this was only just the beginning of his concerted ministry to reform Islam in Mali. Mansa Ayyob was not yet ready to change the official religion of the empire, particularly because of the lack of support he had among the Gbara, but there was nothing in the constitution against his personally-held beliefs. So Ayyob gave Abu Yunus a large financial donation, and allowed him all the resources he required to fund his ministry across the empire from Waalo as far as Kanem. The prophet proved to be very popular among the African common people, spreading a message that was fully accepting of their traditional ways that essentially stripped out the Arab, Middle Eastern focus from their central religion. He would frequently make appearances at grand Mosques, where he would personally lead the Friday prayers and give his own homilies. This did not come without great negative reaction, of course, as many more conservative populations would try to persecute his disciples and drive him out of the city. This was most notably found in the Massacre of Njimi, where the Sunni Imams of Kanem ordered the slaughter of 113 disciples of the Prophet. After completing his ministry, Abu Yunus returned to Segu where he used the remaining money from the Mansa to construct his own private school. Meanwhile, the tributary system in Nigeria continues to propagate Mandinke culture and Mali's financial system into the local Nigerian tribal kingdoms.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. The Tarascan succeed in victory at the Battle of the Red Moon (OTL Tepic), defeating the final forces of the Xalisco Confederation and finally re-occupying the territory. Cazonci Nalhen's three wives continue to raise their children, although separately. With the war having ended, re-construction and honoring the dead occurs, while Cazonci Nalhen appoints new Lords to the Mixtec and Xalisco city-states. Assimilation of the Mixtec and Xalisco culture finally ends after a period of nearly forty years, and with their cultural heroes all but gone, the sun shines bright on Tarasca.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: trade and such thing, we developed some new production of trade at across the Europe and the Danube, also work on the new strategy of market place the council declare that most of development in,Wallachia we're well done we detect a new religion that practiced which is call 'Zalmoxianism' a neo-paganism religion so we heard they are going to attack us or launch a revolt on us against the leader Prince Nicholas the neopagan start to declare war and found in the south territorial to push us we're setting 34,000 soldier against them we allow Nicholas prince to intervening in the Zalmoxianism at that religion tribes in Wallachia (Romania), after we occupy the south border of the neopagan peoples which they are going to develop ships to us and us we're making a new strategy that product us to the system us we succeed to use herd against on it which is would lead into a victory and fixing the revolt,on the main local south unlikely the army Wallachians call in prince Nicholas having spent of month to focus on territory and continue to agree,with culture and production trade for villager and tolerance toward our development constructive with the Vlachs and call the phanariots to help us.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: We would like to help the Moldavian's revolt to help them we send 23,000 soldiers. (Mod reponse)
- Moldavia accepts the help.
- Kingdom of Eiru: 2,500 Welsh, Irish and Lotharingian troops under the Prince of Wales Edmund Mortimer move out to block the English relief force approaching Caernarfon taking up position in a mountain pass to block an setting up sharpened stakes and pits to block an English cavalry advance while longbow men position themselves on the slopes of the pass giving them a height advantage as the English are forced to compact their forces in the narrow pass and can't bring their numbers to bear. Welsh guerrillas hit the English supply lines as they move through the mountains. The Princes of Wales promises to defend the nation of Wales against the English invader while the Irish are aware that England would subjugate them to. The troops in Ireland remain on their guard ready to defend against an English attack.
- Republic of Venice: Dalmatia, under good prosperous Venetian control for generations, has a new enemy at its doorstep. However, as Venice is not in the position to fight such a large nation like Hungary, so a treaty is proposed: The Hungarians would get free trade via the Dalmatian coast; Hungary would have to trade through a Venetian ruled Dalmatia. However, their merchants will have no tariffs at all. A joint naval control over Ragusa could be discussed as well (HUNGARY/MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). After this problem is at least put aside for quite some time, and Padova captured, the everyday problems of civil war occur again, namely vassals who only fight for their personal glory. The lord of Forli is sent a letter, signed by the Doge-General himself who gives him the option to retreat from papal lands to avoid both Venice and himself falling to the papal states. If the lord of Forli formally apologizes to the Pope and returns all seized lands and join forces with the republicans, he will face no consequences and has high chances to become general of the Venetian army (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). As Padove has been captured, the red banner with the golden lion of St.Marc is raised upon the city, several signori who supported the Romagna League have been hanged in public (where their corpses remain), reconstruction begins. Due to the laws regarding the rights for the trade and ownership of land for Jews, many of the Jewish immigrants from Germany who settled in Venice in a few decades ago became artisans, masons and carpenters in particular. This and the fact that Jews are not conscripted helps with the rebuilding of the city immensely, as over 200 Jewish artisans help with the reconstruction. AS the city begins to function again, the army heads north, to Verona. A letter is sent to the leaders of Verona, especially addressed to the Doges brother, in which the Doge states that he should surrender the city, not only because the family shares the reign over Venice and Verona alike, and a split is not necessary, but also to honor the family and the dignity of their house (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). A battle plan is also drawn in the case of a battle outside of Verona. the Venetian troops would harass the enemy at the night before the battle with smaller raid parties and trebuchet bombardment, to prevent them from sleeping and to demoralize the army. On the day after, the well rested soldiers of Venice, around 12,000. would march near some hills toward the enemy, while the cavalry hides behind the hills, and ambushes the enemy formations from behind the hills when the signal is given (ALGO, PLEASE). the formations of the rebels would be decimated by using the very same flaming barrels filled with oil (fired by a trebuchet) right into the formations, and with regular cannons.
- Hungary and the Archbishop would agree with this deal, as long as Ragusa is allowed to elect their own leaders and raise their own army.
- Iceland: The population reaches 26.200 and the King approaches the Republicans to create a new constitution which will have a Minister of Thule, Iceland, Greenland and none of them will be members of Alþingi, the ministers will have one vote along with the Cardinals but the President of Parliament and the King will have two votes, this council will make all executive decisions proposed by Alþingi or the King (Mod Response Needed) The member of Parliament from Akranes proposes to invite the Jarl of Vinland to meet, the King and the Upper Council agrees upon it and an invitation is sent to Vinland offering vassalage to Vinland, the Jarl would control the area, a minister from Vinland would join the Upper Council, two Vinlanders would join Alþingi, Vinland would get improved infrastructure and the Catholic Church would be offered to all citizens (Mod Response Needed) (More coming after the response).
- As long as the All-Thing is restored, this deal satisfies the revolters.
- The location of Vineland has been lost
- Poland-Lithuania: Seeing the lack of response from Wallachia and also scared of Hungary's growing encroachment on the Eastern HRE and on Northern Italy, Stanislovas I sees a chance to expand Polish influence along the mouth of the Danube and offers to support Moldovian independence from Hungary by supplying them with weapons and with 15,000 Polish troops in exchange for Moldovia agreeing to become a vassal of the Polish Crown (Mod Response). A modified offer is made offering the hand of Stanislovas's daughter Agrypina to Bogdan as a wife, and military support in exchange for free access to the Danube and to the Black Sea. (mod response). Stanislovas I decides to lead 25,000 troops to assist the Moldovians leading the troops personally.The core of his current forces being the returning veteran forces from the Anatolian Crusade, and the Swiss mercenaries. upon the recommendations in letters with his son Stanislovas I promotes several of the Lithuanian and Polish nobles who served and distinguished themselves in Anatolia to command positions within his army. The Polish cavalry sweep the Hungarian supply lines and skirmish their forces to blockade the Carpathian passes while the mercenaries and infantry engage the Hungarian forces. Administrative and land reforms continue. The Jewish community of Krakow begins to grow as does their connection ot the recovering Transcarpathian trade routes.
- Having just revolted from vassalization from Hungary, Bogdan is going to have to decline this request.
- The revised request is accepted.
- Papal States: Pope Innocent VI is outraged by the actions Francesco Ordelaffi due to his boldness to invade Church lands. The pontiff excommunicate Ordelaffi and says that the excommunication will only be removed if he retreat from the Papal States and give back the captured territory. Innocent writes to Venice saying that they must control their subordinates. A letter is also send to the Lord of Urbino ordering that he stop antagonizing Venice and stay neutral [MOD respone needed, please]. With the growing conflicts in Italy, preparations for the war are made. War galleys are build in Civitavecchia and Ostia, with the Papal Navy growing to ten ships. Military centers are building in each major city of the provinces of the Papal States and even in Avignon. Cardinal General Commissary Gil Álvarez Carrillo de Albornoz and Captain General Galeotto I Malatesta start to prepare the Papal Army for an eventual conflict. New 3,000 are recruited and trained from the provinces making the Papal Army grow to 14,000 men. The construction of cannons and production of gunpowder are encouraged in Viterbo. Letters are sent to king Cassono of Padinia and to the Central Council of Swiss Confederacy asking for their support if the Papal States is dragged in the Italian conflicts [Padinia and Swiss response needed, please]. Secretly plans are made to subjugate Urbino to direct Papal control and a letter is sent to San Marino, asking their support [MOD response needed, please]. This year the pope celebrates the day of Our Lady of Victory with a procession and a solemn mass in the Basilica of Maria Maggiore. Due to the blue clothes used by the Mercedines, they start to be caled the "Blue monks" and "Blue nuns" by the people. The Order of Divine Mercy continues to do works of charity across the Papal States. After the visit of Getrude last year, Elena Cimorelli and her fellow members of the Workers of Charity continue to work helping the poor that lives around the Convent of Saint Augustine. They also comfort those that lost loved ones with the Plague. Elena learned how to read and write with Father Fabozzi and now she is able to write herself about her visions, which continue happening.
- San Marino respectfully informs the Pope that they are not interested in expanding their territory, only maintaining its independence from Urbino
- Swiss diplomacy: The Central Council confirms that the Swiss Confederacy will support the Papal States against the attacks of Forli or other military conflicts of the Italian peninsula.
- Nyazwe: The Mutape forces break from their camps at Malumba after waiting for two years for movement from the forces of the Zvakane in Lusvingo. Chatunga being overly-cautious about his brother's plans for the rebels, has spent most of his time overseeing the rebuilding of his armies and the production of weapons and armor for his men. Though boasting a larger army than the rebels, Nyazwe's generals have spent most of their time planning for an invasion rather than trying to harass and weaken the rebel forces, costing them the initiative. Wasting no time at all, Wataida and his field army of 7,500 men march southwest of Lusvingo to attack the cities of Lose and Mapumbgubwe along the Limpopo River, using their alliance with the Nguni and breakaway districts of the south to ford the river and circumvent Nyazwe forces to the north. Striking from the rear of the battle lines, the Wataida quickly captures Lose, Toutswe, and Mupani, before moving to take the old royal city of Mapumbgubwe. Unlike the other cities captured during his campaign, Mapumbgubwe puts up stiff resistance to the rebel Mutape army. Fearing that he will lose all momentum in his campaign due to the siege, Wataida leaves a force of 2,500 troops to maintain the assault on the city, while he leaves to secure the road to Malumba and fortify the position against a counterattack by Chatunga. News of the defeats against the Mutape anger Chatunga, but he still refuses to act on this information, infuriating several of his ishe, who demand that they be allowed to prosecute the war against the traitors in their own manner. Chatunga refuses them this demand, understanding that the Nguni remain a potent threat to his realm, and that the danger of spreading his forces too thinly would only invite an invasion of his lands by the rebel districts to the south. He points out that as was just demonstrated by his brother's rapid conquest of three cities and siege of a fourth, that the two forces are allied and actively cooperating in their war against Nyazwe. Chatunga likewise points to the obvious fact that the two are no doubt communicating their plans with one another, and reporting on movements within the armies of Nyazwe, allowing them to completely nullify the superior numbers still held by the government. A large number of traitors still remain within the ranks of the Vakadanwa and the Hamadzese, and until they have been completely rooted out, no reconquest shall be permitted. To aid him in dealing with this threat, Chatunga sends for the ever-vigilant Maziso Ake to tackle this issue on his behalf. Established decades ago by his grandfather, King Kutonga, the Maziso Ake were suppose to manage the issue of internal corruption and treason, and bring the traitors to justice. Though they failed in their duties to the state, Chatunga gives them the chance to redeem themselves and save their lives, instructing them to proceed with a simple task: to go forth and bring to justice all those who defied his will and that of his late father. On the political front, both brothers begin a massive propaganda campaign against the other, attacking the other's legitimacy within the public by using the various technologies imported into the land by their father. Using the vast printery sites within the dual cities of Khami and Danangombe, Chatunga's men pump out large quantities of literature for the literate population promoting the fact that Wataida was a traitor and a failure, a man who joined with the rebels he failed to contain to escape punishment from his father for his ineptitude as the former Marshal of the South. For his part, Wataida and the Mutape control Muromo Wenyika, the home of the written script of Nhema in Nyazwe, and the origin of the country's printing and merchant houses. There, small pamphlets containing slanders against Chatunga are produced, containing information highlighting his being the favorite son of an increasingly senile ruler with delusions of grandeur and desires to destroy whatever remained of traditional Shona culture and their way of life. Of particular note, Wataida accuses his brother of disbelief in the gods of the Shona, gods who Chatunga arrogantly believed he destroyed when his father sent him out to kill or maim the old sangoma diviner caste of the nation. Regardless of content, the information produced seems to cater only to the urban elites and middle-class of Nyazwe and Mutape, while the rural majority remain oblivious to the reasons for all the fighting. Terrified of their fate if they speak against the two warring factions, the citizens of the countryside remain quiet, hoping to stay out of the fighting and delivering their quotas to whoever happens to sit in the district capital. Still unsatisfied with his reforms to the political structure of the realm, Chatunga continues to rebuild it from the bottom up, hoping to root out all of the corrupt ministers and officials who turned on his father while he was weak and infirm. While not brutal in his crackdowns, any deemed to have been inexcusably involved in the unfolding of the rebellions are given fates only death could provide salvation from. Sitting down within his enclosure, Chatunga orders everyone to leave his presence, keeping only ink and paper by his side. As the country falls apart around him, Chatunga begins work on a set of laws and regulations that will soon touch upon every aspect of life within the land. Though furious by the disintegration of his homeland, and the fact that his future reign of peace and glory have now been robbed from him, Chatunga decides that if anything shall become his legacy, it shall be that he brought law and order back to this land, and visited death upon the traitorous and unjust.
- Swiss Confederacy: With the outbreak of war in Moldavia, the Central Council of the Swiss Confederacy sees this as an opportunity to weaken Hungary, which has been a potential threat to the Confederacy because of its aggression in Tyrol. Hence, the Central Council sends an envoy to Poland-Lithuania, offering them the use of 3,000 Swiss mercenaries in their effort to liberate Moldavia from Hungarian rule. (Poland-Lithuania response) Two dozen Swiss mercenaries remain covertly travelling around Anatolia, trying to locate and capture Ibrahim Osman. (Mod response) The remaining Swiss mercenaries are pledged to support the Papal States if conflict breaks out in Urbino. The Canton of Chur sends envoys to the villages of St. Peter, Langwies and Klosters (located between two "arms" of the Canton of Chur in the territory acquired when the County of Toggenburg joined the Confederacy), asking them to join the Canton of Chur for trade and logistical benefit as they are largely surrounded by the Canton. (Mod response) Domestically, the government works on recruiting peasants to be soldiers in the joint military or mercenaries. The construction of boats on Lake Zürich continues. Inspired by the Zürich Library, the city of Bern starts to construct its own library. Renovations at Lenzburg Castle complete, leaving the castle pristine and strongly fortified. Tragically, Gottfried von Lenzburg and Margaret Capet's young son Wilhelm II (1357-1359) dies of a disease, leaving the couple traumatised. A few months later, Louis of Anjou and Ida von Lenzburg have a second child, a son (and thus heir apparent to the throne of Arles) who they name William in honour of both Ida's father and Ida's brother's now-deceased son. The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy, anticipating potential conflict around Tyrol because of the ongoing destabilisation of Hungary, focuses on fortifying the eastern Cantons of Toggenburg, Glarus and Chur.
- St. Peter, Langwies and Klosters join Chur.
- Kingdom of Portugal: King Peter I of Portugal orders that the grave of the late Queen Inez is to be exhumed and be taken for a proper burial at the royal monastery in Alcobaça. Peter decides that two toms should be constructed there, one for each of them facing each other when raising at the last judgement. Meanwhile, the king continues heavily investing in naval technology to keep the Portuguese navy up to date. The king asks the Spanish king to send the murders of queen Inez back to Portugal for a trial.(HISPANIAN RESPONSE NEEDED)
- Kingdom of lotharingia: "Were Di": After some a bit over a year of Pisacus in Lotharingia the King proclaims to Pisacus and the whole royal court "Hendrickus Pisacus Reginarid you are a fraud, heretic and an enemy to all of christianity". The Emperor and king calling him such names after it has been found out, that the Seagul of Africa has in fact converted to the Islamic faith. Hendrickus having be revealed praying a lot in the direction Mecca and speaking a strange language people that is close to the Hebrew language of the jews but still bit off. From this all the royal court with the help of some local priests, proclaim him to be a Muslim. The Emperor giving him one chose to Leave the Holy Roman empire or to end up in prisson for the rest of his life. So الأسماك Decides to go back to where he belongs to Africa, al-ismak preparing to go before the end of the Year. Hendrickus trying to convince Merchants, peasant and many more to Join His cause to go to Africa and try to gain some of her wealth in the empty coast fo africa. Al-ismak being able to convince 760 men to join the expedition to Africa, Hendrickus even converting a groop of 43 peasants to islam. Hendrick able to do this by not being to specific and making it sound as almost a shism of christianity, Mentioning Mohamed under the name of Maerten. So they prepare themself, with food tools and most importantly Knowledge. Land where a lot of ships are, is England being the place of hard battle and Chaos. So the King decides that due to the difficulties taking London could bring that focus will change to raiding the Essex country side. The first town they decide to attack to being Colchester, as it is close enough to the suply lines as not to ruin food suplies. King charles on Request of the Army promising more Rights for both the Peasantry, nobility and parliament, and Codifying such changing into paper. Charles promising to end the high amouth of Taxation and influence of corrupt men in the royal court, the king even promising to allow Peasants to represent their issue's to their Local nobles. Karl promising to pay this all out of his own pocket as he trusts the People of England to not misuse their powers, just like Charles belives in the God given right of the Nobility. Seeing them as the men chosen for their combinations of Skills making them great for battle, even if he must admit that there is need for a new test to see how many of the nobility and Peasantry is worthy of their own class. This being only a minor focus of the charming campaign, meant to help the popularity in England and the rest of the British Isles. Law order, and peace is being what the Emperor promises for all under him, so he requests from all Members of the Roman empire to send troops to establish it in Britania(Mod response). This all being done to keep the empire as strong possible, never far away from the Roman laws, Traditions and religion it had. Charles even requesting to the Irish king for an alliance (Irish Response). This would make it the first time that the Empire gained allies in lands Beyond that of the old Empire it is trying to improve on. The unified kingdom of Lotharingia looking into the Bishopry and Citystate of Metz, as they prevent the full by land connection of the kingdom. This being an issue for Transport and tarifs for the Merchants. The Saint Columbanus Followers even if growning slightly in numbers their spreading is decreasing, the domination of the Catholic faith being entire on the Wadden islands. As this location is able to prevent to much attention due to the Distance from proper church organisations. This making their followers grow to numbers of around 2,500, while the Order of Bari finaly hits their pre plague numbers again. The Island of Karphatos now having a population of 8,000. This being an effect of the wars against the Ottomans as many knights and soldiers pass trough the island with some decided to stay and become monks priests or Begijnaards.
- Hungary: The situation has just turned grim for King Geza III as he starts to turn in old age. The Polish invasion of the Carpathians and the Moldovan revolt sparks action from the king to spark action. An army of 30,000 is mustered to be sent north and defend the Carpathians from the Polish invaders while another army of 10,000 is mustered to put down the Moldavan revolt. It is decided to begin the construction of a fort at Krupina (I think this is in my territory) to choke up a pass for possible Polish invasion routes. The second army heads out to face off against the Wallachian invasion force at Focsani (again not sure about the borders here). With the Poles retreating Geza offers to buy 5,000 polish mercenaries as 25,000 of the 30,000 Northern troops are sent to Moldova totaling 35,000 Hungarian troops in the region.
- Polish Dip. Under extreme pressure from the Sejm Stanislovas I agrees to halt his attacks on Hungary due to the historical frienship and trade realtions between Poland and Hungary. Stanislovas I formally extends an gesture of friendship to Geza III pulling back his armies and offering ratify a treaty to sort out any border disputes that might exist.
- Hungarian Dip: Geza III agrees to this always wondering why the Poles chose to attack.
- Empire of Ethiopia: Hearing of the Sultan's refusal to accept Christianity and submission to Ethiopia, Emperor Newaya Krestos calls for a holy war. The new chewa system is utilized, with the governors of each Chewa fort using the latest census rolls to inform each family of their obligation. Crown officials begin traveling to each family, giving each one a recruitment notice requiring one man from each family to report to the local Chewa fort. 10,000 chewa warriors are mustered by the Emperor while the nobles contribute 8,000 men. The 18,000 strong Ethiopian army marches on Massawa, aiming to provoke the Sultan into open battle or to besiege the port city [ALGO NEEDED]. The Empire's road network is maintained, with teams of slaves now employed to weekly repair any damage or expand the roads. The road connecting Beri, Barari and Weri'kama Beri is expanded and improved on, turning into the main highway linking east and west Ethiopia. With trade with India and Mali once more the markets once again become bustling with exotic goods. The Ethiopian trade fleet continues to make repeated trips to India, providing a constant and steady supply of exotic Indian goods to Ethiopia, while the trade guild begins developing a second trade fleet. The Ethiopian navy expands to 20 dhows and five larger ships.
- Japanese Empire: The empire this year continues to see huge gains in trade income as the expansion of trade in the South China sea reaching as far as the edges of Indonesia heavily supported by Japanese ships patrolling the routes using Ishigaki and southern chinese ports to maintain peace on the seas. Furs, weapons, Japanese teas, pottery, art, even large amounts of foot are sold for great profit in Indochina and Indonesia. The Emperor alongside his son Yoshishege administer a change in the tax code revolving around trade, putting the new tax of nearly 25 percent of all profit coming out of the trade arriving. This angers quite a few. However, with the administrations actions having directly caused much of this opening of trade, and expansion of markets the complaints stop short of that. just complaints rather than direct action. Further actions are taken to combat corruption of the trade guilds and more are arrested for committing tax fraud. The Imperial Japanese navy fully adopts the newer ships designed for it as nearly 30 of the new ships are brought into the navy this year. All of them of the Great-Atakebune class bearing nearly ten cannons and a crew complement of nearly 350 putting them as some of the largest ships in the region at the time and much more stable and durable. More ships are planned specifically of the normal Atakebune which are planned to replace the vast majority of the fleet and play a serious trade protection role in the various pacific regions where trade flows through. The settlement of Hokkaido becomes the most prominent this year as a much more organized wave of settlers, numbering nearly 4,000 depart all regions of Japan to claim the open lands of Hokkaido. These settlers mostly settle in northern hokkaido setting up farms, logging camps, and more specifically a few towns to act as centers for these new developments. Sakhalin continues to see further expansion north as well as further deals are offered to native evnikhs and ainu to settle down and get the protection and provisions of the empire standing in front of them. Many accept but many more once again move north this time with a little more animosity and agitation as it becomes clear to the more militant that the Japanese settlers will continue to encroach and claim territory for the empire. The further claims in manchuria are extended toward the fringes of mapped territory as well. The Imperial mint is finally put into force in all territories within the Japanese empire as the currency is officially accepted and in force across the entire country. The existing gold and silver mines are expanded to accomodate the imperial mints demands and unminted or unmarked gold is effectively useless unless minted into coins or branded with the imperial seal. This is done to more effectively keep track of the gold and silver production and prevent unmarked gold and coinage from causing havoc on the existing monetary system.
- Empire of Majapahit: The rajah aims to continue his campaign to unify the islands of Nusantara under his reign moving his naval forces to surround and establish a landing post in the island of Sumbawa utilizing the mobility and the lack of communication among the Sumbawans to continue with the establishment of the area under the rule the movement of troops to avoid a direct confrontation is done quickly to establish a force o the island under us. In the news of administration the transition of the kingdom of Bali to apart of the Negara Agung from the Mancanegara is complete with the current king of the province being made the Bhre Bali over the new province, cultural integration is prompted within the principalities of Lombok following the similar model that was used in the island of Bali. However, instead playing the various princes against each other encouraging them to jockey for power against each other and preventing a strong central power from arising on the island. In turn, the expansion of the merchant fleets of the kingdom is conducted with trade missions being expanded to the Indian states, and Swahili coast states. Within the kingdoms including Melayu and Sumatra the Muslim merchants powers continue to decreases and their influence begins to drops as the influence of hindu and buddhist merchants rise and they begin to show favoritism to many of their faith, this causes some merchants to convert back to this faiths and the conversions to become negilible with the influence put over the Muslim merchants and the pressure on the causing problems for the rival Brunei Kingdom. In order to better establish trade for Majapahit we ask the various Maluku prince such as ternate, tidore, taliabu, mangole, and buru along with others are asked to become tributaries of the Majapahit kingdom in order to better protect their trade and allow them to prosper under our Magnanimous protection. Mod Response.
- Ternate and Tidore accept becoming tributaries.
- Latin Empire of Romania: This year, Emperor William de la Roche becomes aware of a new way of transcribing materials: block printing. This technique, which originated from the East, has caught on in the past few years - following the crusade - and a prominent printer, a Catholic monk of Greek heritage named Paul Samaras, sends a copy of a block-printed Bible to the Emperor. Along with the gift's presentation comes two other editions, one for Patriarch Gaspar and the other to be sent to the Pope himself. The Latin Patriarch, aware of the impact a mass-printed Bible could have in the religiously-divided nation, orders Samaras to cease publication of the Bible until furhter notice.Emperor William sends his Chancellor from Constantinople to Rome, where the Pope is presented with the block printed Bible. Politically, Andrzej Olgierd, the Polish prince, is rewarded by the Emperor for his valiant efforts and continued dedication to the defense of Christendom. To that end, William offers Andrzej the hand of his sole daughter, Agnes, and with it the title of Count of Caria. The idea behind William's offer is to ensure Catholic defense of Anatolia, and the desired eventual expansion into Aydin.
- Kingdom of Padinia: Following the great victory in Florence and news reaching of the events in Milan. Cassono leaves 3,000 troops behind to garrison Florence and takes his other 15,000 to Milan. Hoping to encircle the remaining troops of the Republicans. (Algo needed). The rebellion continues to devastate the region having so many families left without brothers and fathers. The casualty count is estimated upward of 50,000 in direct combat between both sides. Some fear that Padinia will never recover. The rebels dig in for a second round still unaware of their great defeat in Florence.
- Empire of Hispania: As the crown continues their efforts against the rebellious Andalusian Muslims and Moors, six articles are published by the crown calling for expulsion of the Muslim Moors across Hispania especially in Andalusia and Granada or embrace conversion to Christianity, the one true faith in the eyes of the people. These articles are labelled as the Decretos de La Cruz. As the efforts against the Moors in Cordoba are pushed to a stand still, the surrounding of Cordoba proper is made as cannons are put to use to deliver shock and destruction to the forts. Francisco then orders the archers and trebuchets to knock down as many of the remaining defenses and organized collectives of people before sending in the cavalry and finishing off the rest of the men. Francisco gives the order of no mercy to be provided to the rebels and and all are enemies not just to the crown but of god. As the nation attempts to recover internally, the economy begins to recover once more especially with Mali becoming more organised and trade from the Mediteranean providing sustainable means of income to sailors and merchants alike despite this trying time for the crown.
|13th century||14th century||15th century||16th century||17th century||18th century||19th century||20th century|