Merry Christmas everyone! this turn will last until December 26 for the Holidays.
Kristoff Kringle, having grown to an adult, decides to pursue his family business of delivering toys to children in the city of Lubeck, despite warnings of the Burgermeister's cruelty.
This holiday is unknown to the people of the Mexico valley, where the changing climate has clost almost the entire year's harvest. This leaves not only all the nations in the Toltec Quadruple Alliance desperately short on food, but also pushes the Mayapan League further into decline.
With the revocation of the Treaty of London by King Victor, many English nobles demand that war should be resumed with France to enforce the treaty again. Losing this treaty would lose their claims to Calais, Aquataine, and vassalization of Brittany.
After conquering all of Transoxiania, Timor the Lame begins his campaign to legitimize his rule as Emperor, by reunifying the Persian Empire. He starts this by invading the Zanj Sultanate of Bactria, with a massive army.
The Venetian coup manages to seize control over most of the city of Durazzo, effectively overrunning a city that is under the indirect authority of the Latin Empire. Karl Thopia raises his own military of 5,000 troops to take the city back from Venice, and asks his liege to support his actions.
In the Mabar Kingdom, Sri Vedanta Desikan composes an enormous number of classic Sanskrit poetry, and is also well known for his developments in science and engineering.
Stay alert, because this decade many rising nations right now will suffer significant instability or outside threats. Good luck.
- Mali Empire: The ongoing actions of developing infrastructure, economy, and technology continue as they had in previous years. Much of this technology and modern science had been steadily imported from their contact with Spain, Italy and Egypt, which also included adoptions of artistic styles. The influx of philosophical works from Italy and Egypt continued to transform the University of Timbuktu, and gave them a distinctly western slant. In general, the early generations of Yuniyyah Islam became heavily inline with scholastic philosophy, interpreted from a Muslim perspective using works such as Al-Kindi. Naval technology also continues to be upgraded in line with the developments of Portugal and Spain, to help facilitate this Atlantic sea trade. Mansa Mustafa and the Gbara establishes a reform to the standard currency this year. The Malian Mithqal is from now on represented as gold and copper coins, with the portrait and Islamic date minted on its front as well. This first attempt at a standardization of currency is utilized as a way to be more recognizable among European economies, as well as to affirm our trading pact with the Empire of Ethiopia (ETHIOPIA RESPONSE). In the current expositions of mathematics discovered by Iskandar, he rediscovers the "method of exhaustion" first published by Archimedes, and writes a commentary on it. He particularly imagines that this method can be carried infinitely, until one is able to find the area of any curved surface with smaller and smaller areas. In Europe, the crown Prince Simba journeys to visit the city of Rome, to see what works of science or literature he can learn from the great Roman Empire (PAPAL RESPONSE). Mansa Mustafa makes an attempt to subvert the growing power of the southern lords, as they pose a threat to the legitimacy of his rule on the border. In reaction to Mustafa's attempts to subvert their control, Yahya Al-Shams and Idris Al-Qamar sign an alliance with each other, creating a stronger buffer between their two houses and the Imperial court. This year Al-Qamar manages to use this influence in the Gbara to secure his control over the Kingdom of Akan, including the entire navy at the port of Nkran. This action greatly alarms the Emperor, and pours more military to firmly defend and secure his border with Bononam. To solidify their earlier alliance, Al-Shams marries Fatima, the daughter of Al-Qamar.
- Ethiopian Dip: Ethiopia accepts the trade proposal from Mali.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V welcomes Prince Simba in Rome. He also plans to show him Saint Augustine's University and the Sistine Library.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: After four years of war against the Khmer Empire, Dai Viet has finally triumphed and has annexed all of the Khmer Empire. With the acquisition of Khmer territory, a census is ordered by Emperor Chinh to determine the strength of his people for the coming years. (Mod Response/Census). Officials have been dispatched into the former Khmer lands to make suggestions to Emperor Chinh to better improve the land and people for Dai Viet. The first thing proposed by the officials assigned to inspect the region is shoring up and improving the failing water management system across the region with suggestions of requiring villages to contribute a certain number of laborers, men or women, as the tax for the region to speed up the process of restoring water management systems across the region. Furthermore, the officials suggest that an occupying force consisting of the royal levy be left to hold the region. The advice offered by the inspectors of the newly acquired region is followed to the letter with the royal levy consisting of 6,500 men under General Kiều Sơn Hà being left raised as the rest of the levy is demobilized and the alternative tax plan put into action with the additional workers being committed to repairing the faltering water management system throughout the Khmer region. The 6,500 soldiers left behind are tasked with maintaining the peace in the Emperor's name and actively work on patrolling the roads and keeping the peace in the region. In order to properly assimilate the region, noble families are required to send an educated child to the city of Phnom Penh for training/testing for their capacity as administrators and officials. The testing of the peasant’s children has been ordered throughout the region as administrators and local officials are desperately needed with current control being relegated to the Royal Army. Integrating the local populations has had a few minor problems considering the state of the roads after years of negligence. In northern Dai Viet, the construction/improvement of the irrigation systems has been completed as well as the efforts in Champa Dai Viet with the workforce of the regions being released for the time being until their is further use for them. In cities across Dai Viet, efforts are made to improve and expand the ports to allow for increased trading and to dock more ships as Dai Viet has begun stepping up naval operations to combat pirates that have been harassing merchants passing through the South China Sea. The Emperor has ordered the Dai Viet navy (120 ships strong) to set up a garrison on the largest island in the Riau archipelago to serve as a trade port and forward base for combating the prevalent number of pirates in the region. The Minister of the Navy estimates that shipping out materials and manpower to amount to two or three years before the intended facility is completed. A diplomatic party has been sent to Hindustan to request the opening of trade between Dai Viet and Hindustan (Hindustan Response). The Pro-China faction has managed to secure the majority of the Imperial Court for this year with the Anti-China faction backing down. It is in this year that Quyền Duy Khang (Prophet/Monk) is born at the town of Tay Ap in the Annamite mountain range to a noble family. Prince Quan continues his tutoring this year under trusted officials and officers return home from the Dai Viet-Khmer War. Empress Sujin gives birth to a baby girl who is name Minh this year. Efforts are made to expand Dai Viet's ports and markets to allow for the greater influx of merchants that have begun to flow into Dai Viet as most trade in the region makes its way to Dai Viet. The Khmer version of trade with females knowledgeable about local trade and foreign merchants marrying them is encouraged in the former Khmer Empire with the model being encouraged elsewhere to tie merchants to the region. Research into gunpowder have yielded some fruit with estimates for the arrival of gunpowder, hand cannons, and cannons still estimated for the year 1373. A diplomatic party is dispatched to the King Ramesuan in the Kingdom of Lavo promising Dai Viet support if he would agree to become vassal to Dai Viet once he takes the throne of Ayutthaya. (Mod Response, note: he takes back the throne in 1388). A diplomatic party is ordered to the Kingdom of Champa to request that King Che Mo assists Dai Viet in protecting trade through the South China Sea. (Mod Response, note: please state current navy size). Another diplomatic party is dispatched to the Kingdom of Pegu to request setting up a trade post in the city of Martaban, safe passage for Dai Viet ships, and to commit their fleet to protecting trade routes. (Mod Response, note:please state current navy size if they agree). An additional order for ships is placed to shipyards across Dai Viet and in the tributary Kingdom of Champa for the construction of 60 more ships for the Dai Viet navy as the area it is expected to cover is from Dai Viet to the Strait of Malacca.
- Hindustani Response: The request to open trade is accepted.
- Champa agrees to protect trade.
- A treasure fleet of eight ships protects Vietnamese trade.
- Empire of Ethiopia: With the siege of the Somali settlement entering year three, the Emperor works on maintaining proper discipline, sanitation and supplies for the army. The soldiers in the siege lines drill constantly, whilst disease is kept at bay by a combination of proper latrine maintenance, proper hygiene, and a large amount of healers and doctors present in the army. Additionally, the Ethiopian navy continues to run supplies to Mogadishu, Ethiopia’s main stronghold in Somalia, which are then sent to the siege, thus ensuring a constant flow of supplies to the army. The siege continues, with trebuchets continuously flinging excrement, rotten livestock and burning brush into the settlement while mangonels hammer its walls with large boulders [ALGO NEEDED FOR SIEGE]. To satisfy the quotas of the Mali trade agreement, the Empire begins to sell the goods it receives as tributes from merchants directly to Mali merchants through Ministry of Trade personnel. This causes a large influx of gold to flow into Imperial coffers, further bolstering the crown’s wealth. The Mali currency impresses the Crown Prince Newaya Maryam, who admires their ability to be used in lieu of bartering items. The Minister of Trade recommends Ethiopia attempt to form its own currency. However, the Empire lacks the necessary technology yet. The gold mines in Ethiopia are expanded, attempting to find gold to further the Empire’s wealth. Additionally the trade guild of Ethiopia expands its holdings with a second trade fleet, bringing in much shared wealth to the merchant class. To encourage literacy amongst this wealthy upper class of Ethiopian subjects, the Empire requires that written accounts of the trade guild’s profits, revenue and inventory be submitted to the Ministry of Trade monthly. Cotton continues to be encouraged by the Empire, with the government purchasing cotton at high prices to encourage growth. To help the grow the burgeoning cotton industry, the Empire asks that Hindustan send farmers and specialists with knowledge of growing cotton [HINDUSTAN RESPONSE]. The Order of St. Anthony becomes better established in Somalia, helping to continue the Christianization process. The Empire continues promoting Christianity through taxes, now imposing a tax on Muslim Somalis for entering Ethiopian chewa forts to access the markets and imposing taxes on Muslim Somalis for accessing water in wells. In Europe the Ethiopian military delegates, now carrying a letter of safe passage and protection from the Pope, attend the Venetian army in order to observe a battle. The rest of the delegation follows its intelligence gathering agenda, buying maps of Europe, religious and philosophical texts, engineering designs, and speaking to locals. The delegation in Rome is impressed by the Pope's charitable endeavors, making note of the fact the Church in Europe appears to care for the poor and unfortunate.
- OOC Dev: You don't need to ask me to hire a bunch of farmers from Gujarat.
- Hindustani Response: Hindustan agrees to send a few scholars of agronomy from the Madrassa of Dholka to Ethiopia.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: The time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines ends this year. Literature and culture exchanges begin to finally slow down, although with market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy, an increase of violence occurs in the conquered Mixtec territories, mostly by supposed cannibals. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into an artificial ethnicity. With food shortages beginning this year, Cazonci Nalhen takes it as a sign of Auicamine now forcing a conflict to arise, and as such, the Toltec war machine is started. Under the leadership of Uakusï Tonauac and his military advisors, the first battle of near-eternal Xōchiyāōyōtlic (Flower Wars) takes place this year. Supporting a soldier count of roughly 8,000, the fierce warriors of the Tarascan march solemnly toward the city, requesting an audience with their Tlatoani. The young and obese Tlatoani of Teotitlán, known as Zolin, accepts this offer for audience. Uakusï Tonauac, knowing their army outnumbered that of Zolin's, they request for Tlatoani to become a tributary for the Toltec Empire. Zolin, having grown up during the time of the Tarascan-Xalisco War, declines this offer, instead stating they will all become grain for the feeding of Mictlāntēuctli. With their heretic behavior accompanying their sense of pride, Uakusï Tonauac throws his spear at Zolin, killing him in quick fashion and initiating the Siege of Teotitlán. Although a majority of the men remained outside, their own siege had started once one of the advisors signaled 'failure' in negotiations, allowing the army stationed to kill a number of the outside guards while Tonauac and his more personal army begin slaughtering all who remain in the palace. By the end of the year, most of what remained of Teotitlán's army, the bulk of it, would be slain or enslaved into the Tarascan trade of the north. Uakusï Tonauac, now occupational lord, begins directing a majority of the grain to the northward states as nearly half of the army marches back to the homeland. While the process starts for leveling the city, Uakusï Tonauac finds himself staring at a crying baby left in the clutter of his parents turned ashes. Tonauac raises the baby up, stopping its tears to open its eyes to comfort within the Uakusï. Tonauac decides that his wife shall raise this baby, remembering his wife's own inability to birth children. Uakusï Tonauac sends another legion of warriors back to the homeland near the ending of the destruction, setting up the child for delivery to his wife for her to raise. While still stationed in the remains of the city, Uakusï Tonauac and his army numbering 3,500 now wait for the next set of orders in their conquest. Cazonci Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, now giving his care to the elder mathematician and philosopher Tenoch so he may learn basic, fundamental sciences. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, continue their training as warriors for the Empire, influencing their minds to the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in conflicts. The first major dictionary is written this year, being published by an unknown but independent teacher. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh and Tepeu continue to raise their children, Iuihua and Chen. Tepeu continues his teachings to Yaluk and the people of the Chichimeca. During a flash raid against the state by the northern tribes, Tepeu is killed in battle. Tepeu's death, including the earlier martyr of Izel, is major to the understanding of why pacificism was retroactively taken out of practice in Teōmaticolli. In his ceremony of the death, the Text of Tepeu is finished, starting the Text of Tlēolaltik ("Dark Text"/No prophet).
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: A monk from the Orthodox church continues to write the chant that the Phanariot administration of the church has requested.He creates, the Bucharest Bible in Romanian translation some day the minister pay among copies of the Bible to shareout in the region an army they developed an arrow type weapon for cavalry with a start of progress while the voivode admired the progress the Council made in the current region of Transylvania, a newborn is baptized in Slavonic Orthodoxy by the minister in this region the trade is very well advanced by the Vlach people this new born baby starts to cry but suddenly an abbese calms him down anyway at Saint Martyr John, his friends and the abbess builds some cathedral in the north and martyr Greek delegate, will ask if he could rule a region here then he will accept who is going to rule the region of Dobrudja, in Wallachia in the role anyway, they will change the protocol principle the abbes, could bury death in the cemetery and make a memory ceremony the cadet could receive their money to finish their own army job as well he could read the basics to train with his Sword.
- Kingdom of England: We hear what's going on in France and we will like to make a peace deal but we still send 4,000 men to France to protect our people. Meanwhile, we start to beef up our Scottish borders with protection also we accept Spanish support, we keep making land reforms and such, Darwin Sheffield keeps pumping out weapons and armour and we raise the army slightly with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouse are coming together nicely and will be done in the next ten years, we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure and goods are made, just in case of war, we use a fortification strategy with building walls and sea forts all around England.
- Tian China: The war with Mongolia continues this year, with new offensives launched after a year of preparation to secure our hold on the territories we hold. With Gansu and the old protectorates reconquered, we turn our attention to invading Inner Mongolia, with the hopes of securing control over the massive region and cutting off Mongol forces from reinforcements. The troops led by Xuanye are reinforced with a further 15,000 men raised from the eastern provinces, before an offensive is launched with the goal of reaching and conquering Wuhai, in order to secure control over the western portions of Inner Mongolia and help further secure Chinese territory. Meanwhile, the forces in Chifeng turn west, leaving a garrison in the city while turning to invade Zhangjiakou and Datong, with the goal of beginning to cut off Mongol forces in Manchuria from Inner Mongolia, with Mongol forces, who were preparing for a renewed Manchurian offensive, mostly caught by surprise with this and the Mongol forces in these regions completely unprepared for the renewed offensive. Meanwhile, back in China proper, Ambassador Kong Ren temporarily returns to his estates in China to gather copies of many of the ancient texts within its walls, in order to share them with his friend the Emperor of Japan. Although the emperor is initially confused about this, when he questions Ren, who is also a friend of his, he discovers the interest in ancient Chinese texts and Confucian writings from the Tang Dynasty period and earlier, and is pleasantly surprised to hear of the apartment renaissance of Chinese inspired culture and artwork that has begun recently in Japan. In order to encourage this, he contributes several texts from his own extensive personal library and sends several other prominent Confucian scholars and Tang-era historians with Kong Ren upon his returning to Japan. This also sparks a renewed interest in the Tang Dynasty period in the emperor himself, who begins investigating a number of rumors about the period and orders investigations into the period by several prominent Chinese historians and archeologists and going through his own library in Luoyang for texts on the period, speaking a renewed interest in the period in China itself, which begins to view the period as a sort of golden age that ought to be emulated. Although this interest is relatively isolated to a few elites for now, the interest shown by the emperor himself and the involvement of several prominent scholars begins to make investigation and emulation of this period extremely fashionable, and many nobles interested in the period or interested in increasing their own social status begin to attempt to emulate the fashions and customs of the period based on what is known, and this interest will spread much in the coming years. The Emperor also orders a greater deal of cooperation with the Japanese navy in patrols in the South China Sea, and, in order to avoid ever being left behind again, order the beginning of a great expansion of the Chinese navy, and great improvements begin to be made on many of the old designs of ships, which, while still extremely advanced compared to our neighbors, have begun to stagnate in recent years due to the Tian’s Military focus so far. This will be the prelude to a period of greater naval expansion and investment in coming years, which will greatly help improve the dynasties naval capabilities.
- Iceland: The population reaches 32,000 and in the spirit of Christmas the Yule Lads are made into giving creatures and 13 of them get statues on Engey. The king reaches the age of 13 and he marries the 15-year-old daughter of Duchess Gúri named “Fríða” in a lavish ceremony presided over by the Cardinal of the Isles. The Greenlandic Settlements are sent money for a small Chapel and a tiny school. Prince-Regent Erik marries Duchess Gúri to secure Icelandic hold on the Isles, the regency will end in a year. The Cardinal of Greenland receives the title of “The Great Commoner” since he helped people to learn about their religion not only in Iceland but also the entire Catholic World, so a County is created and named “Diarmadaland” in his honor and his nephew is made Count of Diarmada. An expedition is sent to Jan Mayen to try to explore even farther north. (mMod response needed). The permission to translate the Bible into Icelandic is requested.(Papal response needed). The first Icelandic Dictionary is written by the Head of the Ecclesiastical Tribunal Garðar Unnarsson and he is given the order of Nordic Piety. Infrastructure is greatly improved by Althingi and Country get very close with itself. The King names Ásgeir Ásgeirsson as the Prime Minister and replaces Jón L. Örvarsson who was a drunkard but this is an outrage in Althini but the Upper Council agrees but makes a law that the King has to have the support of two delegates to replace a Prime Minister or a delegate. Bishop of Arnarbæ dies by sailing to Iceland and visiting a new island and lands on it but then the island became a gigantic beast and sunk, this temporarily halts transport between “Vestmanneyjar” and Iceland. Two murders happen in Iceland this year all by the same killer on the loose.
- Fine, you found Jan Mayen. I hope you're happy.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V allows this. He is sending a commission to help in the translation. The pontiff says that after the translation is finished, it must be sent to Rome to be analyzed by him and the Curia to see if there is no error in it before being approved.
- Swiss Confederacy: The new Cantons of Sargans, Werdenberg and Montfort are given seats represented by their burgomaster on the Central Council, increasing its size 24 members (21 cantons plus three special seats). The Central Council continues to work on the integration of these new territories by ordering the improvement of infrastructure and roads in these areas and connecting them to the neighbouring Cantons of St. Gallen, Toggenburg, Glarus and Chur. To help with this integration, the Central Council writes to Pope Nicholas V, asking to set up a second priory of the Order of Divine Mercy in the Confederacy (the first being the Priory of Schwyz), selecting Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort as a possible location. (Papal response) In Chur, the Bishop Frederick Capet works on restoring the bishopric's finances after the mismanagement by the deposed Peter Gelyto. The government also works on encouraging trade both within the Swiss Confederacy and with surrounding states (including former Habsburg vassals now liberated by the Treaty of Augsburg like Kyburg and Thurgau) to improve the economy after the expenditures of the Bohemian military campaign. The Central Council continues to observe the conflict between Padania and Venice and is doubtful about the change of government in Venice given that the excommunicated doge Mastino was just succeeded by his son and was allowed to remain a general, but the Swiss government decides to stay neutral pending further developments. The Central Council also observes the diplomatic situation in France after the revocation of the Treaty of London and remain determined to aid King Victor of France should conflict with England break out again. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits Count Louis II of Flanders and proposes a marriage between Ulrich's son Heinrich II von Lenzburg (b. 1344) and Louis II's daughter Margaret III of Flanders (b. 1350). (Mod response) Domestically, the government works on improving trade and food stockpiling in the major cities. The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy focuses on fortifying the city of Schwyz, seat of the Central Council.
- Marriage declined (see previous turn's mod event.)
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V sent a group of Mercedine monks led by Ludovico Mazzo.
- Swiss Diplomacy: Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits Gerlach II, who just became Count of Nassau-Wiesbaden upon his father Count Adolph I of Nassau-Wiesbaden-Idstein's death, and proposes a marriage between Ulrich's son Heinrich II von Lenzburg and Gerlach's sister Catherine (b. ~1354, OTL married 1373 and died 1403). (Mod response).
- Marriage agreed.
- Nyazwe: The development of the western frontier continues, with the movement of goods and settlers into the west under their own power and funding. Some of the migrants into the west consist of individuals who received restitution from the central government the year before, and have moved away from their home regions for a new life in a new land. Katima Mulilo has grown as a direct result of the several years of migration through its area, becoming a center of trade and production for those individuals seeking a new life out west. To the east of the city, the cities of Bambusi and Ingombe Ilede have likewise benefited from Katima Mulilo's growth, as the two help manufacture tools and weapons for the settlers and military garrisons who remain somewhat dependent upon the goods produced back in the home territories of the Shona. In the south, the three districts effected by the civil war continue to undergo extensive reconstruction and resettlement of cities, roads, infrastructure, rural communities, and labor forces, with the government focusing on the cities of Malumba and Thulamela as the primary centers of reconstruction. The hope is that once the two central cities are rebuilt and their production cycles in terms of food and material items restored to full capacity, the two neighboring districts will be better placed to benefit from the restoration of services closer to their areas of rebuilding. The level of tax delinquency continues to decrease, from 47 percent to 42 percent, adding more and more members of the adult population back into tax base, allowing the state to draw on more funding from the three effected districts. The additional funding is put toward the development of additional infrastructure and expansion of existing infrastructure, allowing the state to fast track some programs of construction in the country. Using some of that funding, the construction of the armory at Lusvingo begins at once, with several dozens of craftsmen residing in and around the city moving to the site of the facility to begin low-level production of weapons, armor, and equipment for the Vakadanwa. In the port city of Muromo Weshiri, the continuation of ship production for the Zvikepe is permitted by the state, with a request for six muvhimi placed with the shipwrights to begin work on the vessels. Trade to the city continues to grow following the end of the civil war, with many foreign traders regaining confidence in the ability of Nyazwe to guarantee their goods and vessels while docked in the country's ports. In particular, trade with the Indian subcontinent is expanded by several of the Shona traders returning to the city from the far west. They have taken keen interest in exploiting the removal of several merchants from the city with ties to the old Mutape clans, and seek to find their fortune in the region as a result. In the city of Muromo Wehsiri, a young sailor by the name of Kusvika waZivanai determines to leave his homeland to explore the world, having settled all of his debts and established himself as an independent trader out of his home city. Reading about the travels of the late Munashe from several decades ago, as well as the great riches he encountered while abroad, Kusvika desires to be like that great man, and form a legacy of his own. Selling all of his possessions in the city, Kusvika equips himself with a book, some ink, and a stylus, as well as enough money to care for his needs while abroad. Speaking with a group of Swahili traders visiting the port, Kusvika purchases transportation to the city of Zanzibar, where hopes to begin his own journey to explore the world.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II signs a royal decree that institutes mass drilling of the army across the nation to increase preparedness for an upcoming turbulence. More specifically the personal guards of the nobility to be trained every day, while citizen militias such as burgh militia are to be trained at least half a day per week. It's strictly enforced as nobles entrusted by the King and even the King himself make unanounced visits and fine harshly those who do not conform to the decree. We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are further reinforced with the addition of dozen big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II continues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. Given King Edward IV's humiliation and loss of prestige by failing to react on France's provocation that is the revocation of the treaty of London as well as to defend Aquitaine on time (for an entire year) we attempt to persuade English nobles of the advantages that reduction of crown authority could have for them and to build support among the nobility for this lower crown authority, after all their King has failed successively failed them and he will continue to do so for as long as he is allowed. [Mod Response]
- Papal States: The commission that analyzed the miracle attributed to the mediation of the deceased Pope Gregory XI comes to the conclusion that this is true. Then, Pope Nicholas V declares Gregory XI as Blessed. The popes isn't pleased with the change of Doges made in Venice. He considers that Paolo della Scala as Doge is the same thing that having his father Mastino in this position. The pontiff see this as an attempt to deceive him and says that the embargos will only be removed if a Doge from a different family is elected, since the Scala Family proved to be so greed. The streets of Rome continues to be paved and the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory continues to be build. The books donated by Hispania are deposited in the Sistine Library. The Holy Father creates as cardinal Simon da Borsano (Papal States). The Workers of Charity continue to help the people of Ostia and their orphanage continue to give protection to abandoned children. Rumors of Elena Cimorelli having the Stigmata start to attract people to the Convent of Saint Augustine. Escorted by the Swiss Guard, the pope goes in visit to Lotharingia and personally crowns Charles VII as king. The Coptic community living in the March of Ancona continues to flourish with Youhanna Daoud as their bishop.
- Kingdom of Portugal: This year is marked by both sadness and happiness as the king's younger brother dies after having slipped on some wet money and broke his neck. In late March, the queen gives birth to a baby son who is named Peter-Ferdinando and is named as crown prince. Meanwhile, the king continues funding the navy while also funding the army but to a lesser extent.
- Republic of Venice: When on the battlefield after the battle of Parma, General Mastino della Scala notices an interesting oddity: Despite losing all tactical advances at this point, the casualties are always at least 500 men larger on the Padanian side, despite Venice fielding a smaller army. SECRET In a letter to Marshal Francesco Ordelaffi, he orders a new doctrine: the tactical losses shall be accepted, but the soldiers should be drilled in their discipline and their rage to kill or wound as many soldiers as possible. 4,000 Greeks from the Aegean Islands and Crete and 2,000 more Tartar horsemen are called to arms, the Greeks are sent to Albania to fortify Durazzo with 3,000 men (making the overall force of 5,500 men there). The new “sloped frontline” tactic becomes more widely adapted since the tactical supremacy of the become more widely adapted, the officers are trained to coordinate this formation in addition to others. A defensive tactic, that splits the formation into two that leave a small gap in the middle is developed as well. When the enemies see the gap and rush into it, the left and right flank move back to the center, while light horsemen, who are held back at the battle first, rush into the center and the troops are crushed from three sides, only leaving a retreat as an option. Furthermore, the trebuchets are developed further with being able to carry more weight, so that the projectiles can fly more far and higher over the walls of the besieged city. SECRET END After not having won the Siege of Parma, the reinforced 16,000 plus 4,000 men who came from the colonies and from the other army, attempt a second attack on the city, as it opens the road to Milan itself. The city is pounded with a bombardment of barrels full of oil and flammable liquids for an entire day, then, after the confused inhabitants seem to fear no greater threat coming, as no further bombing is continued for the night (as the oil is left to soak into the wood and roofs of the buildings). However, in the moment the first sunlight comes over the horizon, burning haystacks will be shot over the city walls and light the entire city on fire, wreaking havoc due to the fact than now every inch of the town is soaked in flammable oil, and that the cement of the walls decomposes due to the heat, making every structure made from stone immensely vulnerable to heavy artillery. A battle emerges in the early morning of the 14th of June 1370 led by the well-known and experienced General Mastino della Scala, where the Venetians attack the city walls, constantly pounding the defensive positions and city walls with heavy projectiles, while cannons, siege weapons and strict formations try to enter the city (ALGO NEEDED). The other part of the Army in the south, meanwhile, continues to raid any supply line going north, causing delays. To combat the bad economic situation, the textile, arms and oil industry is vastly expanded. However, trade is conducted over the vassal of Ragusa, that is not affected by the embargo. (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). The pope is once again asked to lift the embargo and to make the Venetian contracts count again, as a virtuous man is now Doge of Venice, ready to be more measured in his policies. (PAPACY RESPONSE NEEDED).
- Kingdom of France: The first army to enter Aquitaine in 1369 consisted of about 3,000 men led by Louis de Serre. They managed to secure the allegiance of the border counties and force the surrender a number of enemy villages, before being turned back by a fresh army from England. By 1370, the two nations are definitively at war once again. In the midst of this, Charles of Blois becomes more emboldened in his efforts to unseat the English from their holdings in the Duchy of Brittany. Seeking a decisive end to the Breton civil war, he attempts to starve the stubborn Montfortists out of their forts using aggressive siege tactics. Charles is initially supported by 5,200 crown troops led by the knight and newly appointed Constable of France, Gilbane Belaud. In late 1370, however, Belaud is recalled to the south to investigate reports of a marauding English army somewhere in the countryside, and so the scope of operations in Brittany becomes limited. Belaud reaches Guyenne around Christmastide, and encounters the English army near Angoulême.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: Promising boys captured in warfare are trained in an atmosphere of military distinction and go on to occupy senior posts in the army. These men are trained to be extremely loyal to the Sultan and are trained in the Madrassa of Delhi under the supervision of the Sultan. This system is the brainchild of Feroze Khan Khilji. The Sultanate goes on another push for the establishment of Bimaristans (Hospitals) and pharmacies in the major cities. Preparations are being made for a Southern Expedition.
- Japanese Empire: This year sees the return of not only Kong Ren but also a cadre of Confuscian scholars and Chinese historians who are able to help delve far and deep into the history and impact of the golden eras of both the Tang Dynasty as well as the Japanese Heian period. Emperor Yoshishege is devastated by the death of his son and daughter in an accident of their own causing in the imperial palace prompting him to elevate the son of one of his concubines the boy named Kanmu to the position of crown prince. At the ripe age of five the boy is turned over to the Kampaku Ujio of the resurgent and loyal Tetsuko clan who is to become is mentor of the boy. This also does, however, prompt Emperor Yoshishege to section off time for the boy to spend with Kong Ren to learn Chinese as well as of some of the Chinese Philosophies which have begun to emerge in importance for their influence of Japanese history and previous and current system of government. The Imperial economy begins to enlarge and grow as the relative prosperity of the general populace begins taking place as well. The trade for the empire continues to grow further as well with more ships by the year reaching out to new trade destinations. The development of trade relationships specifically in the Luzon kingdoms have led to some small portside warehouses being purchased in order to help with some of the trade goods volume coming out of the islands. The Imperial army conducts a new drill this year including the Kyoto Imperial Guards and 7,000 new troops into the Imperial army as drilling and training are conducted at a military encampment near the Capital. With the invigorated study of Tang and Heian era culture, art, architecture, even law, The Capital city of Kyoto sees the beginnings of a rebuild inspired by the Emperor who has taken serious steps to replace or repaint much of the wood and other effects in the Castle with Heian era things. This does also see the first of the "New Heian" period paintings produced by retired Emperor Katsuomoto himself alongside with two Ronin from the Kensei order who had taken up these new art styles as a way of calming the mind. With so much existing Heian culture and buildings surviving the possibility of restructuring cities to this aesthetic is clear and a serious investment and imperial patronage is put into any architecture school who was experimenting or reviving these building styles. The four noble houses see their own forms of Kanshi (poetry written in Chinese by Japanese people) to reclaim some of the former glory of some of this early era poetry. However, of the high noble houses a new form in direct competition with the Kanshi and more accessible but requiring extended high vocabulary of Classical Japanese still spoken primarily by the upper nobility and the Imperial family. These poems stand at about five to seven lines much like the Kanshi.
- Kingdom of Eiru: With the end of the revolt and growing piracy concerns the King orders a force comprised of merchant ships to attempt to deal with the pirates. This attempt fails miserably with their poorly maneuverable ships encountering a series of embarrassing defeats. In an attempt to turn the tide the Parliament of Kings authorises a shipping tribute with each lesser King agreeing with all the other lesser Kings how much they have to pay in tribute for the formation of a navy and some 6,000 Pounds is raised in taxes for a navy. Aware they need someone to command the fleet, Dubhghall Aengus is offered a full pardon and a position as Admiral in the newly formed Irish navy. He recruits a combination of former pirates, merchants, fishermen, soldiers and some unskilled labourers. Pay is one Pound a year for the unskilled and two Pounds a year for the experienced. Construction begins on a new force of war galleys as well as training for rowers in preparation for an offensive campaign next year. Additionally a network of watchtowers and signal flames are constructed to allow better response.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We propose to our Irish kindred the formation of a confederation aimed at containing the English threat that has started to resurge. This union would be a loose state which each one of its members would participate with an equal vote in the election of an Celtic Emperor with very limited authorities, such as first and foremost the defense of the realm, coordinating the security of the high seas and containing piracy that has gone rampant lately and whatever other authorities agreed at a later date. We offer the heavily fortified Isle of Mann to serve as the Imperial capital, as its ideally located in a strategic chokepoint between all Celtic nations. We also propose mass weddings between our nobility.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Celebrations in the whole empire go wild as they remember that Christ has been born 1,370 years ago 137 decades ago. Many, including the king, eat sprouts with meats such as rabbit, chicken and some even eating doves. This all in the spirit of Christmas, that warmth will stay with all people of the Empire. With the pressure to create an Imperial Roman navy Emperor Charles VII tasks Βελισάριος Φωκάς (Belisarius Phokas) the First grand Admiral of the Lotharingian navy to create an Imperial navy. As Charles fears that without a force who can defend trade during peace, that Baltic piracy could become a big problem. As trade also makes it more profitable for pirates and vandals, so the emperor wishes to counter this as less trade would mean less money. The loss being due less ships to get paid a toll from, and from trade possible diverting to outside of the empire, which would slow innovation and knowledge. This concept having proven successfully by the Praetorian guard, which is force meant to protect of the emperor and keep the peace. The emperor using the force often to keep peace and handle bandits and criminals, thus the praetorian guard is also taught how to keep down riots and more without deaths. This teaching of non fatal manners of crowd control being as a means to ensure that the discontent and more does not spread. While they do also get the highest quality of cannons and siege weaponry to do the last efforts to either victory or to prevent defeat. Weaponry that the Royal army begins to adopt slowly, this being in the form of regulations for smiths on the lengths for Pikes and size for chainmail rings for the peasantry. These regulations only being for the peasantry, the Nobility being allowed to spend their own wealth. This small amount of standardisation, is done so one can order a weapon anywhere in the kingdom and still expect something simmilar in style and handling. These standardisations being recomended lengths of pike staffs and forms, this will also standardise the cost. To help costs King Karl decides by Royal edict to enforce a currency exchange rate of the currencies in the Kingdom. This enforced currency exchange rate is so trade is easier, and merchants know what money they will get for their own. This also helps against scamming and criminal activities with giving very bad exchange rates to merchants.
- Kingdom of Padania: In response to the continuation of the siege by Venice, Cassono brings the full might of his force bolstered by an additional 5,000 mercenaries hired in Milan to defend Parma with the assistance of cannons being fired from the walls. Cassono also sets up fire and oil to assist in making any would be attempts to break down the gates fail. Secret: Cassono hires a Florentine assassin to eliminate the Venetian General Mastino della Scalla.
English and French forces clash in Aquitaine, re-igniting the Anglo-French War over English territories on the continent.
King Victor of France dies at an old age, and is succeeded by his son, crowned King Louis X.
Duke Rainauld III of Guelders dies without any offspring. The two contenders for the throne are relatives Count John II of Blois and Duke William II of Julich. This immediately becomes a local civil war.
Novgorod and the Rus' states launch a new war against the Golden Horde to force them to relinquish Moscow and Vladimir as vassals.
The young Queen Margaret and King Haakon have a child of their own, born in the union between the houses of Estrisden and Bjelbo
The Kingdom of Dai Viet begins to experience agricultural defficiencies after their absorption of Cambodia, causing an overall decline in their population. The resulting financial collapse in some regions cuases Dai Viet to become unable to meet their annual payments of tribute to Tian China.
Following the victory over Ajuuran, significant local unrest continues in Ethiopia across the horn of Africa, due to the majority Muslim or African pagan populations, as well as the language and cultural disparity.
Western Anatolia experiences sporadic uprisings of local Muslim populations against their recent subjugation by the Latin and Byzantine Empires. It is rumored these revolts are all orchestrated by a single person or group of persons, whose identity remains unknown.
In Japan, many peasant clans begin organizing together in bands as an attempt to resist the rampant taxation from the Imperial court.
- Kingdom of England: We pull back all of our 3,000 troops into Aquitaine and Calais to start to play a defensive war, we build defensive positions around our borders to protect our people, we send one of top young commanders in James Green of Tewkesbury to Aquitaine and Andrew Smith of Hull to Calais, Darwin Sheffield arms is pumping our arms and Armour, we make shipyard on the Isle of Wight which start to pump out trade and warships, we start to we ask Scotland for 20 cannons to put our new ships and can copy them to make more [Scottish response] we send 1,000 each to Aquitaine and Calais to defend, we send the Treaty of the Mumbels, we raise the army slighting with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouseare coming together nicely will be done in the next ten years we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure goods, in case of war a fortification strategy gets put in place build walls and seaforts and more around England, we also start to beef up our Scottish border with protection.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We agree to sell England 20 locally produced cannons apparently to make a profit.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: The tribute to China this year is swiftly resolved by sending fans, instruments, agarwood, and sappanwood as tribute to the Emperor of China. Recognizing that the western portion of the former Khmer Empire is untenable for Dai Viet to maintain direct governance, efforts are made to identify a loyal, local noble to govern the Angkorian Kingdom as a vassal, named after the once prominent city of Angkor. The chosen noble is assigned bodyguards handpicked for their loyalty from the Scarlet Dragons as well as assigned a military escort of 200 men from the royal levy under the command of Huỳnh Ðức Cường and also required to swear his loyalty to the Emperor of Dai Viet. The chosen boundaries for the new Kingdom is from the Elephant Mountains upward to the start of Ton Le Sap Lake and along the first tributary to the lake. To open up more labor for Dai Viet to commit to the region, the Slave Codes are suspended by the Emperor to allow for increased productivity from slaves. With the Slave Codes removed as law the Imperial government conscripts slaves from across the Kingdom to be sent to the Khmer Empire to work on expanding and improving water management system across the region inherited from the Khmer Empire as well as removing silt from the network. Further efforts to address lower crop yields has resulted in diplomatic envoys sent to Hindustan to request barley and sugarcane seedsto be used in crop rotations in Dai Viet (Hindustan Response). The Emperor orders officials in flood plains and lowlands to switch to the far more adaptable and viable floating rice strand imported from the Ayutthaya Kingdom through trade. The Emperor also orders that logging be limited to what's neccessary to allow for sappanwood and eaglewood groves to be planted and preserved. The remainder of the Royal levy under Kiều Sơn Hà, stationed in the Dai Viet portion of the Khmer Empire are ordered to institute martial law and to remove troublesome nobles as well as hunt down any remainder of the Khmer royal family. The infighting in the Imperial Court between the Pro-China and Pro-Independence have subsided as the Nestorians spearheading the Pr-independence side have turned their attentions to the removal of the Slave Codes which greatly concerns them as many of thir fellow Nestorians are enslaved. The Emperor assures them that the removal of codes is only temporary until the situation faced in the Khmer region is resolved. Construction of the remaining ships for the Royal Navy has been supplemented by the use of slave labor under the direction of experienced shipwrights allowing for 13 ships to be constructed this year from an order for 60 ships. The construction of the Riau Island garrison proceeds well into its first year with the port already receiving stops from passing merchants and naval patrols generating minor revenue for the Kingdom. The acquisition of gunpowder this year by Dai Viet comes as a great surprise to the Emperor and due to them exceeding expectations in delivering this resource to Dai Viet with the Emperor order small scale production of the gunpowder weapons for now as a means of testing them first. The Emperor also increases the flow of funds into the work of the scholars in the hopes that they continue to deliver promising results. Efforts to mine gold are put on hold as the economic system attempts to balance itself out (I was informed gold was not as important so I'm scaling back on it). Prince Quan continues his education having become a promising administrator yet lacking as a commander while Princess Minh is still too young to learn. Diplomatic overtures are made to the Kingdom of Lavo to request trade and to secretly promise support for Prince Ramesuan in his bid for the throne in the coming years on the guarantee he recognizes Dai Viet territory, vassals, and tributaries as well as agreeing to become tributary to Dai Viet. (Mod Response). Population estimates: 6,480,000 approx. (3,080,000 Dai Viet/400,000 Champa region/3,000,000 remaining Khmer region). (Mod Response, note: please revise or give approval).
- Lavo agrees to trade.
- Roman Empire: Basileus John V, keenly aware of the many threats arrayed against his state begins a massive reorganization of state power. He calls a Synélefsi of the Praetors in Constantinople to standardize and establish norms of governance. The Emperor presides over the assembly and retains a veto, but grants the Praetors rights to vote in setting governing precedent. The move proves popular among the influential Praetors, and is set to become a yearly event and reduces decentralization in the Themes by creating more accountability to the Emperor. The Synélefsi of the Praetors also oversees the creation of a Politeia based in the ideas of Aristotle. The code outlines at a broad level the structure of Roman government, establishes the powers of the various significant offices, and outlines the powers of the Synélefsi and the Emperor. The Politeia is then engraved in marble in the Forum of Constantine for all to see and read. Despite including the Praetors in the process of drafting the Politeia the new constitutional documents outline extensive powers for the Basileus, but also lay out the powers and protections of the Praetors as well as general protections for land-owners in the empire. The changes swiftly reorganize the bureaucracy with an emphasis toward efficiency. Efforts are made to standardize and simplify the bureaucracy, clarifying not only the directive but station of hundreds of positions in the state apparatus. Taxation is simplified and enforcement increases dramatically as tax collectors are made more internally accountable and their roles are standardized. The structure of the bureaucracy is also integrated into the dynasty with Theodore I appointed Co-Quaestor. The move places within the stubborn and honorable Theodore the power of investigation and auditing reducing corruption. Theodore proves effective in his efforts and mercilessly cracks-down on over taxation, fraud, and embezzlement. Andronikos IV, eldest son of John V and Junior-Basileus, is additionally granted the old title of Magister Militum, Master of the Troops. The title comes at the head of a newly reorganized bureaucratic structure, the Ypiresía Militum, or Military Bureau. The branch of government supports the procurement and maintenance of arms, pay of soldiers, and management of national arsenals. Andronikos IV, a resolute and bold leader sets about improving the strength of the army. Opposed to mercenaries, he increases spending dedicated to training and fielding Roman citizens. He personally oversees the establishment of a renewed system of Tagmata and Themes. The Vestiaritai is divided into two tagma, the Esovestiaritai, a small 250 men household guard, and the Exovestiaritai, a much larger 1,000 strong standing force. The Varangian Guard, a shadow of its former self, is reconstituted from the guard of Theodore I Laskaris into a fully-fledged force of 250 Imperial Guardsmen its own Tagma. He sends dozens of emissaries abroad to seek out metal-working techniques to improve the quality of Roman military equipment. Of particular interest are the Catalan Forges of Spain, and Emperor Francisco de España is asked if he will allow Romans to study and copy the technology (Orlando Response, Please) General Alexios Apokaukos, now in his 73 year, drafts his opus magnus, a military treatise on the comparative contemporary tactics of the Franks, Latins, Saracens, and Persians. He is aided in his work by his two top Strategoi, Zeno Akropolites and Georgius Stauricius. These two young generals, hand picked by Apokaukos and battle tested in war are to be the new leaders the Roman Army needs to stabilize the nation and prevent foreign incursion. These two Strategoi each lead small contingents of the Exovestiaritai to the west coast of Anatolia to combat the uprising. In secret they are directed to make contact with any leadership the revolt may have and potentially reach a political agreement regarding Latin Anatolia. (Mod Response)
- Mali Empire: Mansa Mustafa organized his military, inherited from his father and grandfather, to protect the private cavaran trade coming across the Sahara from Egypt, Ethiopia, and Morocco. This is also in conjuction with the sea trade across the Atlantic, where Mali's navy continues to be developed and expanded from the port of Dakar. The University of Timbuktu has continued to be an important hub of knowledge across Africa, and the cradle of the "African Renaissance." However, it is notable that this created a vast class and regionalist disparency across the Empire. The more developed regions in the north, west and center remained the hubs of artistic and technological advancement, particularly the religious architecture known as "Sahelian Gothic." Other parts of the Empire, however, remained as backward and rural as they were in the time of Musa. At this time, the ruler of Akan, Umar Al-Qamar, died at a ripe old age, which passed all his possessions to his son-in-law Yahya Al-Shams. This Qamar-Shams union secured all the nations of the southern border states firmly under one rule, whcih continued to greatly alarm Mustafa. Yahya assumed direct control over all the Malian navies produced in that region, including both the port cities of Koya and Nkorn. The assumption of the Malian navy caused immediate economic tension in the region, as Mustafa decreed that no ship of the Dakar navy should allow direct trade to a ship by Yahya Al-Shams. Mustafa was further concerned over their claims to Bononam, the only region left south of Mali not under Yahya's influence. In the north, Mustafa's Saharan expeditions allowed the empire to push its borders farther north. The recent treaty with the Sidinate of Pisacus permitted the empire to set up the tribal regions of Mauritania as vassals under the empire, as a way to protect the tiny emirate. In Europe, the crowned Prince Simba travels north in Italy to the city of Florence (which he called Medinah Zuhur), said to be the most beautiful city in the Empire of Al-Rum. He asks scholars there to help educate him on the works and literature offered by the Romans (Padania RESPONSE).
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and cultural exchanges continue to finally slow down, although with the various market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy of the region. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into a more organic ethnicity. The Toltec war machine continues under the leadership of Uakusï Tonauac, who continues to raid a variety of Teotitlán-Mixtecan native villages and solidfying claims to the Empire through violence. Cazonci Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, now giving his care to the elder mathematician and philosopher Tenoch so he may learn basic, fundamental sciences. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, continue their training as warriors for the Empire, influencing their minds to the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in conflicts. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh continues to raise her and the deceased priest Tepeu's children, Iuihua and Chen. The period of the Text of Tlēolaltik continues.
- Papal States: After crowning Charles VII as king of Lotharingia, Pope Nicholas V returns to the Papal States. Encouraged by Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason, he starts to work with the Order of Divine Mercy and Workers of Charity to expand the institutions of charity of the Church. They start to make plans to build orphanages and hospitals financed and administered by the Church across Italy. With streets of Rome finnaly paved, the pontiff orders that the streets of Ostia and Civitavecchia also be paved. Elena Cimorelli continues with the Stigmata. The nasturtium usually only bleeds in the Friday and bleeds more than usual in the Good Friday. More people arrive in Ostia, wanting to see the beguine with the Stigmata. Now Elena rarely leaves the beguinage and can be seen always praying in the chapel. Her visions continues and she try to continue write about it her diary, but the wounds don't allow. Then, a fellow beguine named Paulina Vicini is helping her with it. After hearing about Elena Cimorelli, Youhanna Daoud, the Coptic bishop of Ancona, makes a visit to her in the Convent of Saint Augustine. He is impcted by the vision of the wounds and by visions that Elena decribes to him. He writes about his experience in a letter to the Pope of Alexandria.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II signs another royal decree recognizing the importance and promoting the use of longbowmen in the army, supervising the training of longbowmen himself to an extend, modeling and improving upon English longbow tactics that have proven so effective and adjusting their tactics to the general formation of the army. We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are further reinforced with the addition of 12 big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II continues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. The permission to translate the Bible into Gaelic Scottish is requested. [Papal Player Response]. Given the expansion of trade with Spain, the fame of the much reknown Catalan Forges of Spain reaches the Scottish shores, which King David II deems to be of particular interest for the advancement of metallurgy in our state and Emperor Francisco de España is requested to allow us to study and replicate this technology. [Spanish Player Response] (More to come)
- Kingdom of Eiru Dip: We agree to the formation of a Celtic Confederation with an Emperor of the Celts.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: King David is overjoyed at the Irish response and to thank the Irish High King, taking into consideration his legitimacy issues if there were to be a conflicting office of Emperor and High King, casts his vote for the Irish High King Tighearnach for the office of Emperor of Celts.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V allows the translation and sends a commission of theologians from Saint Augustine's University to help in it. He also says that after the translation is finished, the Bible must be sent to Rome to be reviewed by the pope and Curia. This is to not allow any translation error. If there isn't any, the Bible will be approved for use.
- Kingdom of Padinia Secret: A message is sent to Spain offering them Corsica should they work alongside Padanian forces to defeat Venice and promising the release of Naples, Corsica and Sardinia from the crown of Italy thus allowing Spain to keep them (Spanish Response needed). A different message is sent to Switzerland looking to gain access to Swiss Mercenaries to assist Cassono and Padania against Venice. (Swiss response needed) Cassono sneaks a message out to his allies in Milan with orders to gather forces of mercenaries and garrisons from Florence Milan and Pisa in an attempt to break the siege of Parma and crush the attacking Venetian forces. Cannons are fired from the walls of Parma to assist in the attack. An the mercenary forces coming from these other cities will encircle the Venetian forces outside the walls of Parma. (Algo, please). Assassins continue to be hired to eliminate Venetian leaders and a Medici agent is sent to Bologna to sow minor discourse among the populace and tell of the horrific things the Venetians are doing outside of Parma and the greatness and continued victories Cassono is having. And the inevitability of Cassono should he continue to remain unbeaten. Cassono begins to become a legend among the populace of Padania and his wife has her sixth child and third boy. In Florence there becomes discussion of a legend of Caesar who many relate Cassono to. A man during the time of the late Roman Republic early Roman empire who created many reforms and made the Romans great for many centuries to come.
- Swiss Diplomacy: The Central Council offers Padania the use of 4,000 Swiss mercenaries, the number being somewhat limited because of the simultaneous deployment to aid France against England.
- Swiss Confederacy: As conflict breaks out between English and French forces in Aquitaine, Ulrich VI von Lenzburg attends King Louis X of France's coronation and on behalf of the Central Council he offers Louis the use of 3,000 Swiss mercenaries in the conflict against England. (France response) The joint military of the Confederacy, meanwhile, works on fortifying the nation's largest city Zürich. With the Padanian request of mercenaries, the Central Council decides to officially declare support for Padania in the conflict with Venice. Because of the redeployment of mercenaries to France and Italy the government works on recruiting peasants to be mercenaries to keep the domestic (defensive) troop numbers sufficiently high. The Mercedine monks led by Ludovico Mazzo arrive in the Confederacy and start to build the Priory of Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort, aiding the integration of the northeastern region into the Confederacy. Western Patriarch (and former head priest of the Western Church of Unterwalden) Mikel Mendoza (1297-1371) dies of natural causes and is replaced as Western Patriarch by Lluis Urrutia (b. 1321), from the town of Zumárraga in Gipuzkoa northern Castile, close to the border with Navarre. The Western See in Tudela sends an envoy via Unterwalden to Rome, asking Pope Nicholas V to create the new Wester Patriarch as cardinal. (Papal response) The Canton of Bern sends an envoy to the city of Biel/Bienne; Biel/Bienne was formerly administered as a condominium between the Free City of Bern and the Prince-Bishopric of Basel before those polities joined the Swiss Confederacy. Now Biel/Bienne is adjacent to the Canton of Bern but separated from the Canton of Basel-Bishopric by the independent Solothurn area, the Bernese envoy asks the burgomaster of Biel/Bienne for the city to fully join the Canton of Bern for logistical and infrastructural benefit (though they had not consulted Bishop of Basel Jean III de Vienne on this beforehand). (Mod response) The marriage of Heinrich II von Lenzburg and Catherine of Nassau-Wiesbaden is celebrated in Lenzburg. Domestically, aside from recruiting mercenaries the government gives some peasants grants for building new farms. The guild of Zürich tries to recruit scholars from nearby states in southern Germany in order to expand the prestige of their Zürich Library.
- French Diplomacy: Louis X graciously accepts the Swiss offer and, after his own coronation feast, holds another feast in Ulrich's honor.
- Biel agrees.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V creates Patriarch Lluis Urrutia as cardinal.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": King Charles of Regnier is crowned by the Pontifex maximus as Rex Lotharii. This being one of the highest secular title in the whole Lotharingian realm. Just after the pope's visit Jan van Virneburg the Bishop of Utrecht died, this causing some trouble as the local cities do not wanting a strong bishop. As a solution Charles takes on the Mantle of the Prince of Utrecht, although the title of bishop keeps existing. Most Secular autority is handed over to the local councils and the prince of Utrecht. Thus the bishop is only left with the powers on the Religious matters with this, as it is clear that Utrecht cities are to unruly to be ruled by a bishop. This action of the King and now Prince of Utrecht splitting the secular and Religious institutions from each other, King Charles asking permision from the Pope for this action (Papal Response). The Count of Luxembourg also offering to the Abbey of Stavelot military and economic protection, and toll free trade. (Mod Response). All these actions are done to make the Lotharingia borders easier to defend and to suply. These new suplies all being for the New Profesional Royal army, where the profesional soldier is from the lower classes. These profesiona soldiers all having a set salary and equipment by the Mechelen parliament and the King. These units being for the lower ranks based on Merit, although nobility mostly on the higher strategic levels are more trusted. This trust coming from the lack of highly educated commoners in kingdom, as they cannot afford this education. So the nobility still has some advantages due to ecomic differences, economic issue the King cannot yet fix. As money has to go to Βελισάριος Φωκάς (Belisarius Phokas) and his imperial navy research. Belisarius already having found the best harbours in the realm to produce these ships, the main standing issue now being money. As he has to find a way to finance the navy without making the realm pay too much. Belisarius thinking of having payments depending on distance to the coast and numbers of harbours.
- Stavelot would agree to this with the Pope's permission.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V approves both.
- Iceland: The Population rises to 32,300 and King Domnhall is finally crowned king without regency. An heir is born to the Royal couple named Ólaf, the House of Sturlungur commission a Royal Palace in Reykjavík. A ship is added to the Icelandic Navy and put on patrol in between Greenland and the Mainland. Every Police force gains five members and the Duke of Greenland is made Chief of Police in the entire Kingdom. The Bible is now in most homes on the mainland and the Cardinal of Greenland buys a transport to ship Bibles to the Isles, he also asks the Papacy for a Writing Press in exchange for 50 kg of Blubber(Papal Response needed). The Upper Council decides to add a delegation from Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands instead of just for the Isles. ANinePerson Parliament is created for the Isles three representatives for each constituency. Three Scottish Warships are requested for sale to the Icelandic Imperial Navy. (Scottish Response Needed).
- Papal Diplomacy: Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason helps establish block printing in Iceland.
- Sweden-Norway: A son is born to Haakon and Margaret, named Olaf. With the war—dubbed the Kattegat War by some—over, Haakon orders that a road be built from Stockholm to Jonkoping, in order to further connect and, indeed, centralise the kingdom. The project is estimated to take 10-15 years to complete. Furthermore, Haakon signs a decree, ordering that more mines in Dalaran and Vastmanland be opened, as Haakon believes this expansion of the mining economy could revitalise Sweden-Norway's economy, which has suffered due to war. Thus far the two countries of Sweden and Norway have had the same king and dynasty, but they have been separate entities with different laws and different nobility. The King expresses his wish to his advisors that one day Sweden and Norway could be further unified in the future.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: King David II offers to betroth his newborn daugther, Margaret, to Haakon's and Margaret's son Olaf to secure an alliance with our trade partner Sweden-Norway.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: In the north of Wallachia we did not notice a Hungarian duchy which was established called 'Fagaras' but originally it was a Transylvanian region since 1464 but, in fact, we are going to reconquer this territory to have it with a Translyvanian army of 2,000 men and now we send arrows to them in a victorious way to be strong or whatever. The official language with be Romanian no longer Hungarian due a cause of war of as the rank and recruitment continues the army conquer most of their north we sending, soldier in Transdniestria we establish a separate Wallachian duchy for us to keep large main territorial locals in the Balkan, with cavalry of 1,000 people in total currently. Anyway, at the Congress of Bassarab, Prince Nicholas orders his son to replace him he looked exhausted to do this role he crowns him by naming 'Vladislav 1st of Wallachia' which could well occupy the economy, the tradition and the genre of the property role in their country. Anyway, a knight's weapon were made by the minister at the higher level of knights they would use kind of shield with a coat of arms on it and admired by the lord that would guide him for good reasons from a defensive way the guards use cannon in their main's castle for invader that came on their forest and a mercenaries is require to protect inside of the castle with guards full of arrow's weapon and organization in role of the authority of Vladislav I.
- Kingdom of Eiru: High King Tighearnach agrees to the Celtic confederacy and casts his vote for Emperor for himself. He travels to the Isle of the Man the new notional capital and is crowned Ameraudur of the Celts as Arthur was historically referred to in Welsh praise poems at Snaefell the highest point on the island where work begins on constructing a castle. Dubhghall Aengus in his role as Admiral of the fleet and responsible for ending piracy wins his first victory by having a merchant cog packed with troops sail around in the Celtic sea until it got boarded by pirates believing they were going to seize the cargo but the troops on board defeated the boarders and then captured the pirate ship. The first main Irish navy base at Dublin is established and galleys from the new navy respond to a call for help from the new system of beacons and chase off pirates raiding Kilkeel. More galleys are constructed and plans to open new bases elsewhere on the island will occur next year. There is also a crackdown on the resale of stolen goods including people which the lesser Kings implement forcing them to travel away from Ireland to sell their wares. The High King and Ameraudur Tighearnach remains open to offers from either side in the war for their entry.
- Icelandic Dip: King Domnhall requests to join the Celtic Confederation.
- Celtic Dip: We accept.
- Kingdom of France: The death of King Victor, while mourned by the nation, brings the last shred of war hesitation to rest. Until his final hour, Victor had pursued a peaceful solution, and for that he is admired. But after two confrontations on the fields of Aquitaine, there can be no doubts as to the current state of war. France needs a leader with a strong hand. A zealous Christian ruler, Louis X believes that no lands rightly under the French crown should remain subject to a foreign king. Before committing fully to the war. However, he spends some time securing the allegiance of the nobility. When this is done, Louis begins amassing an army, which he christens "The Companions." Agents are sent throughout the realm to recruit the bravest into the soldiery, asking, "Will ye follow God and King Louis?" An emphasis is placed on recruiting volunteers from the Royal Lands, as the king wishes to avoid placing a heavy burden on the vassals to provide men, and to prevent the kind of undisciplined pillaging by unemployed mercenaries that plagued his father's reign. Those with few external obligations and those who can show a sincere devotion to duty and honor are preferred, regardless of class differences (although knights who sign on are readily accepted). The result is a dedicated army, both well-trained and intensely loyal to Louis X, supported by a train of auxiliaries. This army, to become known as the Twelve Thousand Companions of King Louis, marches north to reconquer the Pale of Ponthieu. Unlike his father, who feared going into battle lest he be captured, Louis rides at the head of the vanguard. The 3,000 mercenaries furnished by Switzerland go with the Companions to Ponthieu. In Aquitaine, de Serre and Belaud launch a joint offensive against the defensive-minded English, invading the outer parts of the territory in piecemeal fashion. Charles of Blois continues his campaign in Brittany. Renovations are made to the Château de Vincennes to the east of Paris, and plans are made to enlarge the castle with an imposing donjon tower.
- Tian China: With the crushing victory of Chinese forces over the Mongols in the battle of Wuhai this year, and the retreat of the MKongol forces facing us on the other side of the region in our invasion, we are able to quickly secure control over the rest of the region and drive out the remaining Mongolian forces or force them to surrender. Large scale looting and massacres follow, as well as the looting and burnings of many of the regions Nestorian churches and Buddhist temples (which are looted for their wealth by the out of control soldiers, unlike the Nestorian churches which are attacked with approval from Prince Xuanye and the lesser commanders of Chinese forces). Although the Buddhists are compensated for their loses and sheltered from the out of control forces during the initial invasion for the rowdy armies are brought back under control, the Nestorians are allowed to be slaughtered and driven out of the region with approval from the equally prejudiced commanders of the army, who see them as a threat to Chinese control over the region and believe that it would displease the Zhiyěmán Emperor if they were allowed to stay, since one of the emperors primary personal goals which he has been pursuing throughout his reign is the eradication of Christianity within Tian controlled China. The seizure of this region leads to the meeting up of the two major army groups commanded in the war so far, with Prince Xuanye and General Duno’s combined forces meeting up in the city of Baoutou, the largest city within the entirety of the Inner Mongolian region. Xuanye agrees to take the majority of their combined forces and lead a further attack into Manchuria targeting the city of Bayisingtu (Tongliao) with 34,000 soldiers, in the hopes of securing the rest of the area bordering Korea and forcing the Mongols to the negotiating table. The non-Nestorian Mongol leadership in the seized regions of Inner Mongolia are offered leniency and honorary Han status for themselves and their families if they cooperate with occupying forces and help to defend the newly conquered region from Yuan counterattacks. We also begin secretly reaching out to those Mongol clans which we believe to be dissatisfied with the leadership of the incompetent Yuan Dynasty which has now lost multiple wars to us, and offer them aid and official recognition and allied status if they rebel against their leaders, the perfidious Yuan dynasty, which has only led them to ruin since the death of Genghis Khan. We also promise to respect their rights and lands and not to invade Mongolia beyond the Gobi Desert and Altai mountains unless they ask us to militarily support them if they accept this offer. (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). Meanwhile, in other news, the Emperor hears of the Vietnamese moves to formally end their tolerance of non-slave Nestorians and seize the few Nestorian churches left in the country, and to silence the vocally anti-China factions in the Vietnamese court, which had been seen as a sign of disloyalty on the part of our tributary previously. Although he doesn't especially care what Vietnam does with its slaves and already formally persecuted peoples, he recognizes the gesture of loyalty and attempts touse their labour to ensure Vietnam has enough resources to meet their obligations as a tributary for what they are, and is appreciative, and thus decides to ignore the lack of tribute that Vietnam cannot currently pay until the war with Mongolia is over in order to give them time to gather the tribute they can give until they are recovered, and instructs the Chinese ambassador to the King of Vietnam to secretly inform him of this without allowing information about this to slip out to anybody else, with the implication being that severe punishment will result of it is leaked. In China itself, development of interest in the ancient Tang era and that of the Song continues, with the Tang slowly coming to be seen as the high point of Chinese culture and power, with many events culminating in the beginning of this eras historical trend toward architecture and artwork that imitates that of the Tang era. However, this development is still confined to a relatively small section of society, mainly among the upper class, and interest in this subject and the widely recognized “beginning” of what will come to be known as the Chinese renaissance not truly begin for a few years after this period. Nonetheless the first architectural projects and artistic pieces based on this stuff are believed to have started around this point in time. This is also the year where Crown Prince Shang is first granted any kind of official power outside of Luoyang due to his fathers previous protectiveness of him since the plague, and his belief that his son needed more time and education before he would be truly ready for any kind of official position and government. However, due to the Zhiyěmán emperor’s awareness of his growing age and fraility, the knowledge that he may die sooner than he previously expected as a result of this, and the desire to ensure that Prince Shang is experienced with ruling when he officially becomes emperor, he decides to go through with his initial plan which he had come up with previously but been reluctant to implement and appoints Shang as the Governor of Hebei, the previous seat of the Yuan in China. However, although Shang does initially try to govern he soon grows bored and begins shifting off duties to his advisors, including his wife, Princess Miyuki, and instead begins spending his time pursuing personal pursuits such as horseback racing, hunting, and betting on martial arts compititions, irresponsibly avoiding his responsibility’s and avoiding the work of actully running the province. However, the province suprisingly begins to prosper anyway, as the wife of Shang, the Japanese princess Miyuki proves extremley competent and surprisingly interested in ruling, as she is incredibly experienced in court life and administration from her role as a major power player in the Japanese imperial court previously, and puts these skills to good use to increasingly take over many of the responsibilities of the governor for herself from her husband as one of his primary advisors and manages to easily reduce the power of the other advisors, until she is practically running the province herself. However, her greater competence and the great amount of care she shows for the people of the province, which is extremley unusual in comparison to previous governors of the province who treated it more like a conquered territory than a core Chinese province due to its status as the former Yuan Capital and one of the last places to fall to the Song forces during the civil war led by the Tian to overthrow the Mongols, results in her beginning to become beloved and extremely well-liked by the people of the province, who will form a large part of her support base for her many more actions in the years following the latter death of the Zhiyěmán Emperor, which shall not be discussed here.
- Kingdom of Portugal: King John I issues a royal decree which says that from this moment onward, occupied ciities will not be plundered. This is done due to a vision which the king says he experienced. Meanwhile, talks about a war with France has been heard from Spanish souces close to the Portuguese court, the king issues a small scale mobilization just to be on the safe side.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Emperor learns of unrest growing in the Empire due to his age, his absence from the nation, and his three year war against Ajuran. To help quell the unrest, the Emperor orders an assault on the city which finally breaks through the rebel fortifications and leads to its fall to the Empire. The rebellious nobles are given one final chance to convert, and those who still refuse are executed, while the rebel army is captured and sold into slavery. The Sultan of Ajuran is made the King of Ajuran, in order to remove Islamic influences from the government, and new Christian nobles are appointed to replace those who refused to convert and were executed. The only Ajuran noble to convert to Christianity willingly was a minor nobleman named Sa'ad Ibn Ali. However, upon converting he was given the Christian name Laurentius. Laurentius is personally greeted by the Emperor and granted large lands in Ajuran for his willing conversion, raising his power and influence significantly and making him a major noble. The Emperor also appoints an Imperial Governor to advise the Sultan. The Emperor also provides for the Order of St. Anthony to begin moving into Ajuran to begin the Christianization process. The Order of St. Anthony also translates the Bible into Somali while also learning the Somali language, thus hoping to convert more Somalis by doing so. The monks also begin teaching Amharic to their parishes to help integrate the Somalis culturally into the Empire. With Ajuran now secure as a vassal, Emperor Newaya Krestos returns home in triumph, having secured the southern Horn of Africa. Cultural assimilation of the Somalis is encouraged, with Amharic being the language used in the market, thus forcing Somali merchants to learn Amharic. Additionally, the taxes encouraging Christianization remain in place. Newaya Maryam, the Crown Prince and son of Newaya Krestos, learns of Ajuran’s currency based system and of its mints. Seeking to learn more of this technology, the Crown Prince dispatches a delegation from the Ministry of the Treasury to monitor the Ajuran mints and learn how to mint and maintain a currency.
- Japanese Empire: The organization of peasant bands greatly worries the Emperor. He immediately brings the administrators of these areas brought to the Throne itself and scolded and exclaimed out for their lack of ability to honorably and justly administer the areas currently up in arms about simply overbearing taxes. Of the 14 arrained provincial administrators six of them commit Seppuku for their grave failings at request of the emperor. With much of the territory in unrest in relative area of some smaller noble clans in the area currently hungry for honor and prestige the nearly seven clans which has lands boardering areas of unrest are tasked with riding with Direct imperial magistrates and envoys to help negotiate and address the issues using their smaller personal and local forces amenable to them to help ensure imperial authority. While the unrest remains troubling to the Emperor, the Imperial army is put lightly on alert for possibilities of serious peasant unrest. With unrest at home a notable decrease in the amount of settlers to the frontier territories is noted with only about ten percent of the usual numbers arriving in the frontier areas of Manchuria, Sakhalin, and the Kurils. Hokkaido, however, sees its own self motivated growth as the newly named Provincicial capital in Hokkaido, the city of Sapporo now 25,000 strong, begins asserting control over the island's hinterlands. Lands are portioned out and in an effort to promote the growth of two new prime locations for cities, three families of noble lineage of disgraced or fallen clans are given lands to rebuild their houses and maintain control. Development of the new cities is transferred over to a trade guild, and and artisans guild repsectively to facilitate the growth of new larger settlements. Sakahalin while seeing little immigration, secures for itself as well greater influence over the lands claimed and settled being able to conduct an accurate census as well as an accurate map of all current settlement. Manchuria sees the growth of a new city in its northern regions. A mix of Japanese frontiersmen, and Manchus who decided to settle down after the disastrous plague to the south years prior. The city of Amuraji (OTL Komsolosk) boasts about 2,000 permanent residence and has gathered a reputation for its sipping of vast logging and fur goods down the river to Aimoi. the dotting of new farms and even a small daimyo clan in the eastern coast show an advance albeit it ever so lightly of Japanese settlement on the mainland. The Joen and the councillor generals all vote unanimously in decreasing the tax burden on the peasantry seeing an interruption of their profits in regards to development and trade (mostly high level aristocrats who have stake in this) as unacceptable. While unpopular, one of the four noble houses and an array of smaller lords (who were making a higher personal profit off the higher taxes due to smaller estates not being taxes as heavily as the larger estates and lands). While unrest continues at home, the march of trade does not. Trade ships of all sizes now depart for Korea, China, The Luzon region, and the South China Sea in greater numbers, reaching in some influence as far south as the Interior of the Indonesian Sea. The Merchant fleets have continually secured favorable trade deals as nearly 50-60 years of dealings with Chinese merchants on the mainland had given many merchents a certain acumen. Asserted as well by the well-protected trade routes heading toward China, Japan, and Korea comming from all three nations combined fleets, Japan has begun to become almost a middle power in terms of trade. Non-tributary states arrive in the Ryukus and Southern Japan to trade for the goods of tributary states and China itself. The Imperial fleet also sees the final removal of its lighter wooden ships having replaced them all with the heavier wood and superstructure reinforcements. This effectively gives Japanese ships a greater range on the open sees due to improved durability and longevity of the ship. The review and revival of Hein period and Tang Dynasty concepts such as legalism have become a bit more accepted within the Emperors mindset as well as the higher noble houses and aristocrats. The influence of some of the Confuscian philosophy on top of the Japanese concepts of Honor mesh well and give rise to some more legalistic stances being taken on imperial court precedings and decisions. Plans also taken from late Tang dynasty methods are the full establishment of Japans civil service system and expanding it from just the apprenticeship artisan system, to a system geared toward employing not just the trades, but the administration as well. This all stems from the growth of Tang and Heian era texts which have emerged as of late.
- Empire of Hispania: As the Italian wars continue, Emperor Francisco lays no waste standing by to allow any form of waste in regards to gains for the Empire. Plans are drawn out and the wait begins as Naples Olive Garden thrives. The Lighthouse of Gibraltar becomes a symbol for the Hispanic People of Granada as naval development within the region regarding trade and shipping adds fuel to the economy within the region. In Hispanic Morocco, large defenses are put in place including the beginning of walls and fortresses at Tangiers and Melilla begin to be developed for defensive purposes. In Perpignan and Montpellier, troops gather in support of the British with the Imperial Council and Emperor remaining loyal to their word using the traditional method of the Spanish defense, an offense. The Imperial Army, 25,000 strong at Montpellier and 30,000 strong at Perpignan ready to begin their march toward Toulouse for the sake of defense of the House of Plantagenet claims within France but also the reclamation of Toulouse, a House of Barcelona claim from the French Crown. As a result, cannons and gunpowder see large amounts of use in regards to the tearing of defenses at Toulouse while the army at Montpellier cross the River Tarn while across the bank, cannons are set up to destroy defenses at Millau and capture the surrounding area in hopes of winning both battles in order to push back the French Crown. Seeing close relations with the House of Burgundy through Portugal in addition to their rejection of the Capetian King, the House of Valois-Burgundy led by Duke Philip the Bold is offered an alliance especially with the House of Barcelona and the Empire of Hispania's recognition of the Dukes of Burgundy to rival that of the Capetian Crown over France see this as an opportunity for mutual cooperative efforts to see through French Capetian defeat. (Mod Response). On the ground at Millau, the armed infantrymen await to battle the French as the Spanish Forces use flaming Long Arrows to destroy their enemies at Millau while following a wave of cannonfire and a seamlessly unending barrage of arrows would allows the cavalry to cut down remaining men on the ground while Trebuchets and Catapults are put to use in order to help lead to a quicker fall of Millau. Using the Battle at Millau as a distraction and method of stretching the French Armies, the men from Perpignan surround the city of Toulouse with catapults and trebuchets using the Spanish Fire, a mixture of various oils to devastate the defenses while at the River Garonne surrounding the city is cut off as men are ordered to halt any traffic or means of smuggling goods to and from the city pressuring surrender as General Juan de Roses commands the Spanish Infantry to "Give them hell before death" in regards to the flaming techniques of the Spanish Army against that of the French Crown. As Francisco head off to the French Battlefield, the Emperor's children are watched over by the royal family as Grenades are used alongside flaming long arrows to crush the men that charge at the Spanish or to provoke those who fall back and wait while outside of the catapults and trebuchets to the addition of cannons put to use to tear down French Defenses and men by the city and within, the Cavalry are used to crush any Frenchmen who oppose the Army of the Crown. Seeking allies within France, the Council sends envoys to various lords and the wealthy of France in support of alignment to the House of Barcelona and Pantagenet cause as the importance of Spanish and English Trade within their domains in addition to various other factors would make and support an obvious argument for support of the alternative faction as the Capetian Crown had decided their own fate when they provoked an unnecessary war against the Houses of Barcelona and Plantagenet threatening the French Economy, Stability and Sustainability in their wake. (Mod Response). Orlando aspires to be on the battlefield one day, he finds his uncle Ferdinand as a role model, one that enjoys the hunt and one that is actively involved in the council as he is taught the arts within the Library in the Palace of Toledo while also taught means of combat. The comfort of the Hispanic People across Naples and Iberia continue to allow Mediteranean Trade to benefit as the campaigns brought about by the Northern Italians increase the reliance of the reborn Silk Road Trade from China to Hispania to bring about a growing economy in a time of war. The Catalan Company hired by The Crown are ordered to assist in the defense of Plantagenet Holdings within Gascony and The Aquitaine as the Spanish Fleet disrupts French Trade within the mouth of the English Channel and Bay of Biscay. In the meantime, the forges and supply depots across the Empire including the Spanish Arsenals are put to good use in the supplies of goods to the battlefield driving up income in these areas once more as Barcelona's economy rises further as to become a greater envy of trade within the Western Mediteranean than it had been prior.
- Philip the Bold of Burgundy secretly agrees to give support to Spain, due to his rivalry to the Capetians of France and their ally Lothraingia
- The lords decline stating that Hispania did not need to get involved and they would rather wait and see where things fall.
- Nyazwe: Reconstruction in the south of Nyazwe continues, with most basic services such as the transportation of crops, manning of garrisons, and production of basic tools has been restored. Malumba's walls have been repaired for the most part, while Manyikeni's population is currently recovering from the demographic harm caused by the Matupe rebels. Construction of the armory in Lusvingo continues, with partial production of weapons and equipment for the warriors coming out at a reasonable pace despite its ongoing development. Additional funding from the state is freed up through the continued efforts of re-establishing taxation over the population, with the rate of tax delinquency decreasing further. The state begins to reinvest in the construction of new roads and lodges for its citizens, to create a safer environment for traders, farmers, and transients to move along without fear of harm from criminals or wild animals. Seeking to help expand the economy of Nyazwe, as well as increase the number of goods for trade with the outside world based on writings of the late Munashe, as well as the information given to him by the nation's various merchants, traders, and artisans on the goods they usually find in the markets frequented by foreigners in the cities of Muromo Wehsiri and Muromo Wenyika. Though the armory is a good start insofar as its contributions to the production of new goods that have traditionally been produced in small numbers, as trade outside the country expands, the need to diversify the country's exports has become a major concern of the government. Based on these concerns, several merchants come to the Zvakane seeking a sum of money to use for the creation of several vineyards in the western districts of Nyazwe, where they hope to produce wine for trade with the foreigners. Though the Arabs are known not to drink for religious reasons, the Indians who visit typically partake, and pay considerable sums of money for alcoholic beverages in the ports. Chatunga agrees to the request, and provides the funding and authorizations needed to release the land for development of the vineyards. Elsewhere, the paper-mills of Khami, Danangombe, and Mapumgubwe are expanded as the largely literate urbanite population of Nyazwe has developed a stronger desire for literature which has over the last several decades, helped to fuel the construction of several printeries in the country. In the foreign regions of East Africa, Kusvika arrives in Zanzibar, where he documents his time in the city and his interactions with the Arab inhabitants on the island. He takes stock of their artwork, religious practices, and cultural norms, and find their all-encompassing faith of Islam an astounding aspect of Arab society. Though he is a fervent adherent of the more logical teachings of Faraism, Kusvika notes that he can't help but respect the religious beliefs of the Arabs in Zanzibar, though he finds their enslavement of black Africans somewhat distressing. Though present in his homeland, slavery as a whole is generally uncommon in Nyazwe, and the idea of holding someone against their will for labor does not sit well with the young traveler. Having learned everything he can from his brief stay in the city, Kusvika departs from Zanzibar for Mombasa, where he intends to stay for the following year.
The next phase of combat in the great Anglo-French War continues. The first phase is hence dubbed as the "Edwardian Phase", and this one is unoficially called the "Victorian Phase."
Owain Lawgoch, direct descendent of Llywelyn the Last, arrives in the court of King Louis X. He claims that he should claim the throne of Wales, and asks at least 8,000 men and 15 ships to invade England for it.
After their last battle with the northern Yuan, General Xuanyu is kidnapped from his tent by agents of the Mongol Khan, and taken to Khanbaliq for ransom.
Following the establishment of the Angkoran Kingdom, the Cambodian nobility nominates Damkhat as their new king, who likewise takes the title of ruler of the Khmer Empire.
In Japan, several officials or relatives of imperial magistrates sent to deal with the peasant unrest have mysteriously gone missing or found dead. Rumors spread that a special order of assassins have been formed using farming implements or cheaply-made Samurai weaponry, organized by one-half dozen patriarchs of the impoverished Ninjato clans. These clans help to empower further peasant unrest.
Emperor John V of Byzantium secretly entertains a messenger from the rebel leader, who only identifies himself as being allied with the House of Osman.
Ethiopia's attempt to convert the Somali horn is more successful among the upper nobility, but creates further antagonism among the common people, who cause bouts of localized chaos in some places.
France at this point invents the steel crossbow, which proves to be far more powerful and accurate than previous Norman crossbows. Some members of French clergy complain to the Pope that this weapon is far too dangerous to be in the hands of princes.
The Abbasid Caliphate goes through a great restructuring period of their administration, adopting the older feudal theocracy that was used back during the imperial Caliphate of the 9th century AD. As such, Palestine through the city of Gaza is placed under the control of the Wilayah Al-Qudds (the Holy district).
- Kingdom of England: we fellow the Spanish on to the battlefield, we send a collation invite against France to the Celtic Confederacy as the French Threats Looms on the isles, it will be called the isles pact [both players needed} we allow them to use any of our weapons and armour, James Green of Tewkesbury start to march his army of 4,000 to the city of Tours while Andrew Smith of Hull marches is army of 4,000 to Compiègne, we tell Owain Lawgoch to stop immediately form talking to the French and we put militias on high alert around the welsh border, Darwin Sheffield arms is pumping our arms and armour and supplies to be sent to the battlefield while the Isle of Wight shipyard starts to pump out warships and trade ships with new cannons being made in Salisbury, (secret: we send our best spy Thomas lark to sneak into French areas to capture a steel crossbow to take back to England. (Mod response needed). We raise the army slighting with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouse are coming together nicely will be done in the next ten years we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure goods, in case of war a fortification strategy gets put in place build walls and seaforts and more around England, we also start to beef up our Scottish border with protection.
- Mod Response: English spies are only able to steal parts to a crossbow. While the concept is understood the lack of a full blueprint prevents full recreation for the next few years -Feud
- Kingdom of France: As soon as reports of an advancing Spanish army cross the Pyrenees, the levies in the south of France are raised. Seven bands of about 1,700 militiamen each rush to the mountain passes north of Perpignan to hold back and harrass the Spanish. These forces are ordered to use Fabian tactics to delay the Spaniards as long as possible, but avoid direct confrontation. Jean of Narbonne, the king's vassal, happens to be in his hometown at the time of the invasion. He marshals 7,150 troops from the fiefdom and its surrounding areas to reinforce the levies in the mountains. A larger army of 23,000 is raised and concentrated in Toulouse; it moves to the mountains to reinforce Jean of Narbonne and the levies [algo]. Louis X is on the battlefield in Picardy when news reaches him of the invasion by Spain. He stops, furrows his brow, and remarks that he "didn't expect a kind of Spanish intervention." By the king's order, officials are again sent throughout the realm, this time urging all the king's vassals and all able men to heed the call to arms. The war is now painted as a great crusade, a heroic struggle against the treacherous enemies of God who have unjustly seized the righteous king's fiefs. Even with worry weighing on his mind, Louis still leads his countrymen to victory at Ponthieu. Louis pursues the English army to Compiègne and engages them in battle outside the town [algo]. He then returns to Paris. There he entertains Owain Lawgoch, whom he respects as an old soldier who fought many battles for the glory of France. The king agrees to supply the necessary resources for Owain's proposed expedition. At Caen and Rouen, 4,000 men each are raised, and a sturdy fleet is prepared at Harfleur, from which Owain departs on his expedition [mod response for Owain's invasion]. The Companions are moved to Vincennes, where existing crossbow units are equipped with modern steel crossbows. Louis then rides to Clermont with 13,000 men. On the way, he raises two more regiments and outfits them with steel crossbows as well. The king stands firm at Clermont, in a valley between mountains, preventing the Spanish from going any farther. In Aquitaine, Gilbane Belaud recovers from recent skirmishes and aims to capture Bergerac, Bordeaux and Bayonne in quick succession [algo]. He eliminates James Green's remnants and conquers the Bordeaux area. The forces in Toulouse now informally under the command of Jean of Narbonne achieve a major victory against the Spanish, who are forced to retreat.
- French Diplomacy to Papal States: While France defends herself against foes on every coast, like the good Pope, Louis X stands as the last beacon of God's light in a land ravaged by greed and violence. We entreat the Papacy to condemn this unlawful aggression by a warmongering Spain.
- French Diplomacy to Padania: We request financial aid from the bankers of Padania to help pay for the defense of our nation.
- Padanian Dip: We accept this proposal and offer an interest rate of two percent on loans due to current situations as well as propose the German Mercenaries as a potential option to assist the French as the German mercs are not being used by Padania in their war with Venice.
- French Dip: France accepts this offer.
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council of the Confederacy is outraged at Hispania's sudden and baseless "intervention" in the conflict between England and France. Bishop of Chur Frederick Capet and Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli send an envoy to Pope Nicholas V, urging him to condemn this senseless violence, particularly the sudden Hispanian aggression. (Papal response) The 2,500 Swiss mercenaries remaining in France are maintained, as are the 4,000 aiding Padania. Additionally, Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits King Louis of Arles and Count Amadeus VI of Savoy, who both have established alliances with the Swiss Confederacy, and urges both of them to contribute as many troops as possible to the defence of southern France against Hispania. This is because Hispania were to take said region they would be in a position where they would be a significant threat to Arles and Savoy, and Hispania have already displayed their boundless expansionism in this war and several preceding ones. (Mod response for Arles and Savoy) Meanwhile, within the Confederacy, Bishop of Basel Jean III de Vienne is outraged at Biel/Bienne abandoning their affiliation to his bishopric in favour of the Canton of Bern, and he orders the bishopric's town guard to attack Biel/Bienne. On Jean III de Vienne's orders, several hundred soldiers from the Canton of Basel-Bishopric attack Biel/Bienne and burn the city to the ground, killing many civilians. This outrages many other Cantons and even other bishops of the Swiss Confederacy, and under the command of the Central Council 2,000 soldiers of the joint military of the Confederacy march to Biel/Bienne and the Canton of Basel-Bishopric, where they clash with the several hundred soldiers loyal to Jean III de Vienne. After some brief fighting, the several outnumbered forces of Jean III de Vienne surrender, and the bishop is arrested by the Central Council. The Central Council, particularly Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli, sends another envoy to Pope Nicholas V, asking for de Vienne to be formally deposed for his shocking violence against the city of Biel/Bienne; Ludovico Mazzo, who just arrived in the Swiss Confederacy with the Order of Divine Mercy, is suggested as a potential replacement. (Papal response) Construction of the Mercedine Priory of Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort continues under the watch of Ludovico Mazzo. After the arrest of Jean III de Vienne, the Central Council immediately begins funding workmen to start rebuilding the city of Biel/Bienne to house the survivors of the fire, similarly to what was done in (ironically) the Basel region after the 1356 earthquake. Partly as a sort of penance for the actions of the Canton of Basel-Bishopric, the Canton of Bern asks the villages of Moutier and Grandval, which house the Abbey of Moutier-Grandval religiously subject to the Bishopric of Basel but were not yet formally incorporated into the Canton of Basel-Bishopric or the Swiss Confederacy in general, to join the Canton of Bern. (Mod response) As the city of Biel/Bienne is rebuilt, the joint military of the Confederacy focuses on fortifying the area and some mercenaries also aid in the construction. The government also works on increasing lumber production in the Swiss Confederacy, to aid both the rebuild of Biel/Bienne and to help provide weapons for the Swiss mercenaries currently deployed in France and Italy. In Geneva, Johanna von Lenzburg's husband Peter of Geneva has become Count of Geneva after the deaths of his father and his three elder brothers. Johanna and Peter have a third child, a son named Henry of Geneva-Lenzburg (b. 1372) in honour of Johanna's brother Heinrich II.
- Arles and Savoy will aid France.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V agrees to make Ludovico Mazzo as the new bishop. The pontiff also allows the incorporation of the Abbey.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: After receiving the former Khmer nobility's nomination for the new King of the vassal Angkorian Kingdom, Emperor Chinh orders an extensive investigation done by both the Scarlet Dragons and Minister of Intelligence into his history for anything that might prove troublesome for Dai Viet down the road. After ensuring he will not pose any threat to Dai Viet after examining his past actions as best as possible, Emperor Chinh orders him to travel to the capital of Thang Long to swear his loyalty to the Emperor and the Tran Dynasty in front of the entire Imperial Court. Damkhat (Mahayana Buddhist) is then ordered to return to the Angkorian Kingdom under the protection of 50 handpicked Rồng đỏ (Scarlet Dragon bodyguards) as well as 300 men from the Royal Levy under the command of Huỳnh Ðức Cường. Reports begin to flow into the Imperial Court of China's offensive against the remnants of the Yuan drawing the attention of the Emperor. Sensing an opportunity for his officers to learn, a diplomatic envoy is sent to the Emperor of China requesting permission for Dai Viet to send military observers to learn and detail China's inevitable victory (Tian China Response). Efforts continue with the slaves and labor tax to restore and improve the water management systems in Khmer Dai Viet. Illegal logging has still occurred without permission from officials forcing the Royal Levy to hunt down the guilty and punish them. The Riau Island garrison is nearing completion with reports indicating only one year left until it is completed. Sugarcane and barley imported from India have started to be swapped into use in crop cycles across Dai Viet to allow for more diversity in harvest throughout the year with the use of floating rice as the rice crop yielding far more than the old strain of rice. Reports from General Kiều Sơn Hà indicate that that the nobles have quieted down for the most part and that efforts to hunt down the remnants of the Khmer royal family have been successful. Back at the Imperial Court, the Pro-China faction has been garnering more and more support as the Pro-Independence faction has broken apart with the loss of the educated Nestorians whose attention remains on convincing the Emperor to restore the Slave Codes across Dai Viet with little success. To ensure the Nestorian nobles don't resort to more extreme measures, the Minister of Intelligence is ordered to have spies maintain surveillance on the Nestorians. With the resources of Dai Viet being increasingly drawn to the Khmer territories, shipyards only produce 12 ships this year bringing ship number with the total numbering at 145 ships for the Royal Navy which has continued to expand its area for patrolling. The Emperor has also ordered the best blacksmiths from across Dai Viet brought to the Thang Long to secretly begin the manufacture of hand cannons, cannons, and other gunpowder weapons which are currently limited in use to the Rồng đỏ but plans have been made to arm the Royal Army with these potent weapons. Research into improving gunpowder weapons continues under Imperial scholars through field testing and experimentation with the weapons. The production of gunpowder is ordered in secret with all knowledge of gunpowder or gunpowder weapons being classified as a state secret in an attempt to prevent the spread of the knowledge of the gunpowder recipe and weapons using gunpowder. Prince Quan continues to show promising skill as an administrator but is lacking in his ability to lead men and fight. To make up for his failings as a commander and warrior. Emperor Chinh orders his son to go to General Kiều Sơn Hà who is overseeing the martial law in the Khmer region and learn as his protege. Prince Quan sets out the meet the General and is escorted by 100 Rồng đỏ leaving 150 Rồng đỏ in the capital to protect the Emperor and the remaining royal family. Census:
8,000,000 approx.(Kingdom of Dai Viet and the Angkorian Kingdom combined). (Mod Response, note: only if pop numbers need revision) Correction Census: 5.7 million (Kingdom of Dai Viet and the Angkorian Kingdom combined)
- Mod Response: I'm not sure eight million would be correct. Dai Viet proper should only have about four to 4.5 and what you took should be about one million. I'm not sure where you're pulling eight million from. -Feud
- Angkorian Kingdom (Vassal of Dai Viet): Upon his return to the Angkorian Kingdom, King Damkhat sets to work trying to put the Kingdom in working order. He sets up his capital at the faltering city of Angkor due to its strategic position with all roads leading to it allowing for easier governance on his part. On the advice of Huỳnh Ðức Cường who is charged with the Dai Viet escort for him, he sets to work attempting to make certain roads impassable due to how they are easy routes to his capital. In an attempt to mimic Dai Viet's success with its portions of the former Khmer Empire, King Damkhat orders that sugarcane and barley be used in crop rotations along with the use of the floating rice strain. He also orders trees to be planted around the city of Angkor to return natural beauty to the area around the city. Some of the planted trees fail to grow but certain breeds have success in growing resulting in those successful ones being the primary ones planted in the area. In an attempt to secure labor for his restoration project, King Damkhat orders the remaining population in Angkor to begin working on reinforcing and expanding the water management system of the former Khmer Empire. Piggybacking on Dai Viet trade connections across the region, King Damkhat starts to draw on food and other resources from other Kingdoms to supplement Angkoran production for the time being as the majority of the labor force is committed elsewhere. King Damkhat ends the year by dispatching tribute consisting of only Khmer slaves to Dai Viet due to the need for resources elsewhere this year.
- Japanese Empire: The further unrest as well as the disappearance and deaths of multiple magistrates within the affected regions of unrest prompt further anger from Emperor Yoshishege. He assigns three Taisho (generals) to imperial levy forces escalating the issue further to be handled directly by imperial levied forces. The resuegence of the Ninjuto or "Ninja" as they are coloquially called angers the Emperor and the Daimyo of the four noble houses of Japan. It is a group of clans believed to be completely wiped out during the Imperial restoration. However, this has proven to not be the case. The three armies marshalled to 5,000 a piece are brought to the affected regions and they are garrisoned with a standing offer to the leaders of this unrest and various smaller uprisings. This is your one and only chance to negotiate, further unrest will be seen as an act of rebellion. The Imperial army is also put on serious standby to respond to any further hotspots and the City garrisons of the tri-city capital region of Kyoto, Nagoya, and Osaka are augmented by the 30,000 strong Imperial army which keeps much of Central Japan in line leaving the northern and southern regions barring Hokkaido and Sakhalin as the primary areas of unrest. The continued unrest sparks an outflow of free manpower from the affected regions as many move to the capital region or if capable run to the frontiers. Nearly 50,000 people are noted to have been displaced by the continued unrest with about 15,000 of them being rehouses and appropriated for work in the capital region. Many of them are redirected to the easy route toward Hokkaido and Sakhalin while few still are able to purchase their way toward the relatively underpopulated Japanese Manchuria. Hokkaido sees many of these people arrive and claim still more of the unused land in Hokkaido with more farms and small towns being set up. The foundings of both Nayoro and Abashiri are seen this year in Hokkaido as many of the displaced take up residence near or in these areas. The frontier government in Sapporo officially petitions the Imperial government for its elevation from a frontier region to a fully fledged Imperial province. This is done successfully as the Island has effectively addressed many of its underlying issues for administration and has opened up the island to easy settlement and high quality production as befitting a province of the empire. Sakhalin sees growth as well as the small town of Yuzno grows from the arrival of settlers. The new small town farther north of Poroni is established as well with primary idea being to be a primary food supplier to much of the island with its abundant fishing. The establishment of more legalistic principles continues with the four noble houses and the various Joen drafting or modernizing many laws of the empire. Updating of Tax codes to reflect the new land surveys, the removal of some red tape in regards to development of cities and towns, as well as a set of national laws to be put in place specifically to standarize law across the whole of Japan and address regional inconsistencies in regards to Law. Criminal and land law is further established to instill in Japan a sense of across the board legal uniformity. These legal reforms occur from other attempts to established law systems for all of Japan (borrowing from historic Heian period law) which is modernized as well as the many Imperial decrees that have long standing implications on law. The trade influence of Japan remain standard this year as more trade ships continue to fill in niches and secure beneficial trade agreements between non tributaries and the Chinese tributary system which allows for further playing of Japan as the helpful middleman who secures serious benefit from playing this role. Explorers begin to more accurately map the Luzon Island system and a small survey is conducted on the northern portion of the island looking for possible sites for a future outpost. The gold and silver comming out of the Iwami mine continues in earnest which does helpfully make up for some of the lost tax income from the unrest in the north and south.
- Mali Empire: The navy continues to be upgraded at the port of Dakar and other regions, as the colonies on the Gorgades Islands are resupplied and resettled. The finances for these upgrades and expansions are taxed from the lucrative caravan trade coming across North Africa, as well as the Atlantic trade up through Morocco. We ask Hispania if we can purchase a couple of ships, and hire shipwrights for our navy (Hispania RESPONSE). Mansa Mustafa authorizes further expeditions north into Mauritania to secure vassalization of the tribes south and west of the Sidinate. The University of Timbuktu uses block printing to spread knowledge of architecture and mathematics, specifically the works of Vitruvius which this year are translated into Manding. The mass education system continues to incorporate local populations in the bordering regions of the empire. The tributary system in Nigeria also works to spread Islam and Manding culture into that region via trade. A new internal conflict has broken out in the southern part of the nation, as the conflict between Mustafa and the Shams-Qamar union comes to a boil. Fearing that Yahya would push his claim to the Bononam Kingdom, Mustafa declared that he was claiming to annex the kingdom as part of the royal lands of Mali, a claim that had not been implemented since the days of Sundiata. This was considered intolerable to the Bono people, instigating a great revolt among the land-owning middle class across the region. One wealthy farmer named Addas led this movement, and offered several hundred Bono slaves their freedom if they joined under his army. When Mustafa raised the Imperial Army into Bono to deal with the revolt, Yahya Al-Shams took the initative to intervene on their behalf, thus launching the Bono War. Mustafa's initial invasion of Bononam proved to be rather effective, and managed to cause much of Addas' slave army to scatter. In Europe, Simba learned from the libraries in Florence that he was not in the Roman Empire, which caused him great confusion. So he decided to travel to Constantinople, in order to be educated properly by the actual empire of Al-Rum. (STEPH RESPONSE).
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: Except that everyone knew that the new ruler would be crowned by the House of Bassarab. He will reign the region of Transylvania. Anyway, after the campaign they established a vassal in the region of Marmatiei and a small vassal in the south of Ukraine he will proclaim that he is a vassal of our principality the Wallachian king will marry a Ukrainian woman for his own throne. One of the migrants from the north of Ukraine called the 'cossacks' migrate into our little vassal. A bridge in the north has been improved to access the Danube Delta for shops and relationships with own good stuff in our prespective's law regardless we know some region of Ukraine was controlled in the north by Poles and Lithuanians so we have to be very careful a church bell notice someone has died, which is was sad. Anyway, we buried them to the mausoleums in the cemetery of Transylvania's Slavonic Orthodox authority in property markets must be lowered their own economic prostrate every day Transylvania become a part of trade and merchant from constaninpole, North Africa and other powerful nation countries in Europe soldier armor are being upgraded Wallachian engineers with their metal tools to establish new armor and stuff from campaign and war many of duchy as been developed at their own limit.
- Sweden-Norway: King Haakon agrees to the bethrothal of the young Prince Olaf and Scottish King David's daughter Margaret. Mining continues to revitalise the economy, as major cities like Stockholm expand. Haakon orders more roads to be built in Uppland and Sodermanland, while the road from Stockholm to Jonkoping, now named the King's Road, continues to be built. More and more upstart nobles and knights who gained fame during the war settle the territories north of Halsingland and the territories south of the Ume River, due to there being access to untapped resources like wood. Birkarls also continue taxing the Sami in Norrland. At the end of the year, Haakon orders a census to be undertaken in the entirety of Sweden, Norway, and the province of Finland.
- Population is 1,675,940
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The use of the Hindustani language is well established throughout the government of the Sultanate and is also well established in the trading and business communities and is used as a lingua franca. General Feroze Khan Khilji dies, the Sultan’s elder brother and nominated successor dies at the age of 58. The Sultan nominates his younger brother who is currently the Wazir, Mohammed Asaduddin as his successor. The Southern Expedition begins, a force of eight tumen (mostly cavalry supported by siege weapons) moves to attack the Kakatiya dynasty, sieging the Golconda Fort.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and cultural exchanges continue to finally slow down, although with the various market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy of the region. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into a more organic ethnicity. This year marks the end of the Conquest of Teotitlán, with Cazonci Nalhen giving the orders to Uakusï Tonauac on marching toward the mythological kingdom of Zapotek, and if their existence is confirmed, further action will be taken. Lord Ixdira, the brother of Nalhen's first wife, is appointed into governorship over the recently conquered territory. Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, now giving his care to the elder mathematician and philosopher Tenoch so he may learn basic, fundamental sciences. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, continue their training as warriors for the Empire, influencing their minds to the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in conflicts. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh continues to raise her and the deceased priest Tepeu's children, Iuihua and Chen. The period of the Text of Tlēolaltik continues.
- Mamluk Sultanate: In terms of domestic affairs a few military reforms are made, with the increase of gunpowder and attempts to innovate in other categories. The works of Hasan al-Rammah are carefully studied in the hopes of increasing the firepower of the military. In terms of ground troops, the traditional Mamluk heavy cavalry beings to be supplemented by Mamluk elite infantry resembling the OTL Ottoman Jannisaries. Sultan Al-Ashraf Sha'ban creates a secret force to curb the power of certain decadent Mamluk nobles, in the attempt to centralize power a bit further.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": With the increased demand of profesionalisation of the army, the King begins to look into way to end levies and temporary forces. Although they can be called upon very fast and only need to be paid for those times, their quality isn't up to the needs of the king. So many of the levies are replaced by profesional soldiers, who sign contracts for certain times and certain pay. These soldiers always being made ready for the next war, with weapons such as: pikes, longbows, stading shields ad for sieges Cannons and trebuchets. The cannons and the trebuchets having asigned military architects, which are architects specialised in the making of military equipment that cannot easly be moved. These architects being able to build bridges, repair roads and make good camps for the more civil oriented architects, while the army architects are able to repair castles and forts make trebuchets, balistas and rams. These architects being attached to their units, as to work as one to make what is needed. The Architects even trying to even teach some basic building concepts to the troops as to make it easier and faster to build bridges and general infrastructure. With Utrechtian soldiers, who are not used to this system being allowed five years to slowly integrate. As they still follow a more feudal and simplistic manner of army organisation, so the Utrechtian army has to learn how to adapt the current taxation, language and equipment standards to those of Lotharingia. This language being the Brabantine German, as this is a variant that is understood by most of the kingdom. In utrecht the population is accepting of the Duality, as it gives more power to the local councils and merchants. While in Guelders with the recent death of their monarch, John II de Blois claiming the guelders throne as his own. This action being greatly dislikes by the King as wished to establish guelders under his own sphere. So Charles offers John of Blois the throne of guelders, if he accepts that he will be a vassal of Charles, and that the House of Regnier will be the lords over the House of Blois as long as it exists. (Mod Response). While in the صحراء السيدينية (shra' alsydynyh), سيدي إرميا الهلشتية (sydy ermya alhlshtyh) is diagnosed with cancer of the lungs. This causing great pain and issue's with breathing, the cancer likely being caused due to working with gunpowder and the sands of his beloved Sahara. While his son ميخائيل (Mikhiel) moves from the court of the Malian heir to that of the Malian emperor, this is to better represent the Saharawi crown and interests. As the Saharawi people need to ensure that trade in the Sadiyanate is safe from raiders and nomads.
- Papal States: Pope Nicholas V and Cardinal-Secretary Ary Arason continue to plan the expansion of the Church's institutions of charity in Europe. They send a letter to the Central Council of the Swiss Confederacy, asking to allow the construction of an orphanage of the Workers of Charity [Swiss response needed, please]. This year, the pontiff creates as cardinals Ugone Guidardi (Papal States) and Anglico de Grimoard (France). The construction of the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory continues and the streets of Ostia continue to be paved. Due to the appeals from King Louis X of France, Nicholas meets with the Roman Curia to discuss about it. After much deliberation and hearing the opinion of the Cardinals, the pontiff sees that there is no reason to the Hispanic invasion of France other than their greed and decides to excommunicate not only emperor Francisco of Hispania, but also all direct members of the House of Barcelona and declares the Hispanic throne vacant. In a pronouncement to a crowd reunited before the Basilica of Saint Peter, Nicholas declares that the members of the House of Barcelona are spawn of the Devil, all being greedy and hungry for power and always trying to subdue others to satisfy their hunger and always hidding his evil deeds with a facade of pious Christians. The pope says that they are forbbiden to enter a Church and to be buried in a Holy Ground, any clergymen that don't obey is because they already sold their souls to Satan. He ask the people of the Papal States to remember that Afonso of Aragon, member of the House of Barcelona, invaded the Holy City of Rome and tried to put in the See of Saint Peter antipope Callixtus IV, his demonic slave, this way trying to control the entire Church. He compares the House of Barcelona to the Leviathan, that will never rest until having devoured all European nations, starting by France, the eldest daughter of the Church. The pope call the people and any noble House of Hispania that aren't satisfied with the satanic rule of the House of Barcelona, to depose these monsters. Cardinal General Comissary Robert of Geneva and Captain General Galeotto I Malatesta prepare the Papal Army and navy, in case of the Leviathan of Barcelona trying to attack the heart of the Church as revenge. The words of the pope spread across the Papal States. In Civitavecchia pamphlets against the House of Barcelona start to appear. Some shows an anonymous ilustration of a demon with the coat of arms of the House of Barcelonain its chest trying to eat a woman with the Capetian coat of arms in her dress. Soon these pamphlets spread to other cities of the Papal States.
- Iceland: The Population rises to 32,500 and the king has a daughter named Guðríður. Four longboats are added to the Icelandic Navy and two to the Celtic. A Gaelic Icelandic is written for people to learn in the Icelandic Universities. A public Writing press is open with the help of the Papacy. A small expedition of ten men is sent from the most Western Port of Greenland and trying to get farther West. (Mod Response Needed). The Count of Jan Mayen becomes a delegation in the Upper Council and Alþingi is expanded by four seats. “Inngöngunnar Dagur” ir “Entrance Day” is held on 16th of September for the first time and during it a statue of the High King is put next to the statue of King Ólaf I,II and III in the garden of Kings. The Prince of the Isles Arnar Sturlungur requests a marrige to Princess Alison of Scotland (Scottish Response Needed).
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: King David II accepts the marriage proposal betrothing his ten-year-old daughter Alison in a lavish ceremony with Prince of the Isles Arnar Sturlungur in the St Giles Cathedral of Edinburgh.
- Tian China: The war against the Mongol barbarians continues, as control is now secured over Inner Mongolia and much of Manchuria. Although the kidnapping of Prince Xuanye initially causes a huge amount of panic and requires Tan Duo, his co-commander, taking over, the clumsy attempts of the idiotic Mongols to bring him to “Khanbaliq”, otherwise known as Beijing, prove their undoing, as unlike the corrupt governors that previously resulted there the new administration of the region is competent and doesn’t cooperate with them as they expected, instead slaughtering the Mongol forces with the prince and freeing him from his status as a hostage, allowing him to return to the frontlines just in time for the coming campaign into Mongolia itself. Months are spent arranging the supply lines and ensuring the armies have enough supplies before the crossing of the Gobi Desert is undertaken, with the massive combined armies of the two main forces entering into Inner Mongolia and beginning their invasion of the area by striking at the cities of Oyo Tolgoi and Sanishad. If these battles are successful, then the armies push on to seize the surrounding areas up to Dalanzagad and Mandakh, establishing a major Chinese foothold in the barbarians homeland itself. Meanwhile, in other news, an economic boom begins to take place in the Henan and Yangzte regions once ravaged by the plague as the migrants from previous years begin contributing significantly to the areas economy and the first of their children begin to contribute to the area with a growing food surplus. Trade with Japan, Vietnam, and Korea also increases while small trading expeditions to the Lieusung Islands continue as always and continue to prove profitable.
- Republic of Venice: As General della Scalas tactic works out perfectly after the second siege of Parma, the supply lines toward the besieging army are enforced, supplying the army with goods from the colonies and the Emilia-Romagna instead of the local farms, so that the relationship to the locals is better and more cooperative. To save the fate of the republic, Paolo della Scala abdicates (though he will stay active in politics and will join his father on the battlefield), the Senate and the Council of Ten elect Agosto Tiepolo as the new doge, grandson of the former Doge Baiamonte Tiepolo. The first task in office he does is asking the pope once again to lift the embargo on Venice (PAPCY RESPONSE NEEDED). SECRET As Swiss mercenaries are spotted in the battlefield, the young commander Paolo della Scala offers them to switch forces, for an overall price for 10,000 gold ducats. (SWITZERLAND RESPONSE, PLEASE) SECRET END The Siege of Parma, still unbroken due to constant reinforcements, rotating troops and only few losses goes into its third year. The city walls continue to be destroyed when the inhabitants attempt to repair it. However, the grip on the city is not as tight as before SECRET This allows for a new method. Francesco Ordelaffi sends a small group of spies into the city (disguised as merchants from neutral Aquilea) to cause a second great fire. For that, they are turning up on the city market selling a few Venetian and Greek goods, to gain trust from the locals. After a month or so, they sneak to the palisades and to the granary of the city and light it, then trying to get out. If they are captured, they are ordered to fight to their death or escape. (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE) SECRET END When the Padanians attempt to attack the Venetians, the Venetians first do not engage in a battle, but let their soldiers rest and eat to boost the morale, while the the Padanian soldiers are left to wait in formation, wearing down their motivation. The formation of the Venetian army is also updated. The flanks will be secured by heavy infanterists and heavy cavalry, pike formations will be extensively used there. The light cavalry will concentrate around the light infantry of the enemy, preventing them from aiding the other flanks. Meanwhile, the heavy cavalry, light infantry and heavy infantry, numbering 25,000 men (with reinforcements and mercenaries from Corsica and Greece), are set up in a sloped formation, letting the more experienced troops lead the beginning and end of the line, with less experienced troops being put to the center, to prevent them from fleeing the battle. The pike formations as well as the light infantry are packed as close as possible so that they are capable of fending off cavalry charges. The light horsemen with their bows and sabers do not engage in the battle at first, but rush in as a surprise when the signal is given from the commanders. Then, 2,000 Tartars will rush into the battle and mow down the Padanian froces. (ALGO, PLEASE). In case of a defensive battle like in the year before, the troops will be formed tightly and on a higher position, with an extensive use of artillery, light cavalry flanking tactics and pike formation rather than individual soldiers fighting (please put this into the 1371 Algo) SECRET As a response to the expected troop movement to the north, 10,000 reserve troops are sent toward Prato, to siege the thinly spread and undermanned city there. SECRET END Venetian bankers would like to lend 150,000 Gold ducats to the French kingdom, with a bi-yearly 1.5 percent interest rate. (FRENCH RESPONSE NEEDED).
- Kingdom of Portugal: Following the papal excommication of Hispania, King John I delays Portugal's entry into the war with Spain for an undisclosed period of time. However, the mobilization of the army continues with 5,000 troops being ready for combat if needed. King John pays a visit to his late father and Queen Inez and is reportedly alone with them for two days, claiming he has talked to them. After this, he gets the nickname King John "the mad."
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II pays homage to Ameraudur Tighearnach as he rejoices in the establishment of the Celtic Confederacy, alas the Celts stand united. Robert II Bruce wife, the beautiful Naomh O Neill gives birth to a two healthy twins, a boy and a girl. They are baptised as David and Isabel. We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II continues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. Our clergy works with the commission of theologians from Saint Augustine's University that Pope Nicholas V send to help us translate the Bible into Gaelic Scots. After the translation is finished, the Bible is sent to Rome to be reviewed by the Pope and Curia, as to disallow any translation error from taking place. We await hoping for the Gaelic Scots translated Bible's approval. [Papal Player Response]. Given the expansion of trade with Spain, the fame of the much reknown Catalan Forges of Spain reaches the Scottish shores, which King David II deems to be of particular interest for the advancement of metallurgy in our state and Emperor Francisco de España is requested again to allow us to study and replicate this technology. [Spanish Player Response]
- Empire of Hispania: with the minor defeat at Toulouse, the Spanish Army retreats in good order with the main bulk of its army into Aquitaine hoping to resupply there as supplies into Aquitaine flood in from across the Basque Lands creating a demand for Basque goods across the region bringing in wealth to local farmers, artisans, and blacksmiths supplying goods to the army but also from Aquitaine alone when Juan de Roses speaks to one of the lords stating "We didn't expect some kind of Spanish Intervention". Juan would tell the man proudly "Nobody expects the Spanish Intervention!" he exclaims and just like that, the general receives word from the council in Toledo. Hispania agrees to support the Padanians against the Venetians and like that, the Mediteranean Fleet is mobilised with the fleet at Malta and Napoli attempting to block off the mouth of the Adriatic from Venetian Ships as in the tyrrhenian sea, harassment of Venetian Vessels begin. The Atlantic fleet enter the English Channel as they also begin to harass French Ships completely disrupting trade there as the army within Aquitaine ensures the defense of the region protecting the Emperor's valued Christian men through the means of ambush tactics and scouting for French soldiers as crossbow and longbow-men organize to assault the French with a fury of arrows and grenades as "Fire is the pride and spirit of the Empire, let the Spanish Bull's flaming spirit repel these Frenchmen" Juan exclaims to his men as the operation is put into motion whilst the cavalry flank French soldiers when spotted on the battlegrounds by scouts as the infantrymen do their best to secure victory so that they may avenge their loss and prove to be the victorious Christian people they truly are to be. With news of the excommunication, the court and councils find the claims of the papacy unbelievable and that there must be a mistake. A letter is sent to the Vatican from the Emperor explaining away how this must be a wrong act but is willing to ask for forgiveness if the pope believes it is right as even with these claim, he still sees himself to be a good Christian man of god. Scholars in Aragon joke about the records of Aragonese excommunications and their rates of recurrence. "First time?" Becomes an inside joke amongst the clergy to the Emperor as when Francisco asks the Cardinal of his nation why Holy See called out his family in this way, the cardinal asks him "first time?" before laughing off. Orlando after hearing the news takes pride seeing the holy see's consistent callouts to his family over history as one of tradition and strength yet Marco his younger brother feels concern for Orlando but this stays between the acknowledgement of him and his siblings alone. 10,000 Neapolitan Spaniard soldiers and volunteers are mobilized to be sent off into battle on Padanian Soil led by Prince Francisco. These men land in Pisa to be led into battle with their new allies in hopes of breaking the stalling campaign and relieve the siege in Parma.
- Kingdom of Padinia: Spain’s help is met with varying reactions from the populace of Padania many of which are just grateful for the assistance especially those in Parma who have recently been relieved from siege. Others mainly in Genoa view the Spanish as suspicious and are still waiting for them to show their cards. Cassono sneaks a message out to his allies in Milan with orders to gather forces of mercenaries and garrisons from Florence Milan and Pisa in an attempt to break the siege of Parma and crush the attacking Venetian forces. Cannons are fired from the walls of Parma to assist in the attack. An the mercenary forces coming from these other cities will encircle the Venetian forces outside the walls of Parma. (Yes this is copy pasta from last turn just to not punish Ycasto for missing a turn). On the economical side the loans to France cause a good stimulation of the Milanese economy outside of the war and the relief of the siege of Parma also opens up the economy again. As well the addition of the Spanish fleet allows for a combined freeing of the blockades by Venice of Genoa and the two fleets work together to blockade Venice. (Naval algo maybe if you want?)
- Roman Empire: Basileus John V seeing the Venetians war with Padinia considers his options. His son, junior Co-Basileus Andronikos IV, however, is less patient. He forms his personal retinue, gathers the Tagmata in secret, and with the support of a portion of the Roman Navy begins laying siege to Venetian held islands in the Aegean. Andronikos IV and his 2,000 soldiers, aided by Georgius Stauricius, arrive at Rhodes and attempt to force the Venetian Garrison’s surrender. (Mod Response) Meanwhile, John, made aware of his son’s activities and unwilling to appear weak sends out a call to the themes for a force of 3,000 levies to be raised. In addition, he sends emissaries to Thessaly (?), Ragusa (?), and Trebizond (?) seeking ships and support. He also places a call to the whole of the Greek world, seeking aid in the form of ships, men, and money. The message is to be carried by any and all merchants leavinng Constantinople. John then dispatches Zeno Akropolites, 1,000 men, and 12 ships to take Venetian holdings in Crimea or support a revolt against the Venetians there. (Mod response) The messengers of the Osmanite Rebels in Anatolia are entertained and efforts are made to build ties with them. In secret Roman Spymaster, Apollonius Phocus, plots to infiltrate the group, use them against the Latins, and then entrap and destroy them.
- Empire of Ethiopia: In the Year of our Lord 1372, the Emperor Newaya Krestos, son of Amda Seyon, also known as Amda Seyon the Magnificent, passes away, leaving behind a legacy nearly equal to his fathers. Having diplomatically annexed two vassals and expanded Ethiopia’s dominance in the Horn, he is remembered as a noble and capable successor to his father. Newaya Krestos becomes the second Emperor to be interned at the Royal Mausoleums in Barari. His son, Crown Prince Newaya Maryam, is crowned in Barari as the new Emperor, with all nobles, allies and vassals present. In Europe the generals sent from the delegation to study the Venetian war effort witnesses the Venetian siege of Parma and the ensuing Battle of Parma. The generals are particularly impressed by the Venetian siege cannons, which the generals note are generally unreliable and inaccurate but deliver devastating damage when the cannons actually find their target. The use of steel armor is also noted, with heavy infantry wearing full suits of armor and carrying heavy iron pikes. The generals note European warfare provides for more heavily armed infantry, as the weather does not make it too hot to wear.
Siezing the situation of France's occupation with foreign incursions, Duke Philip the Bold of Burgundy stages a revolt across France against the direct Capetians, pushing his own claim to the throne. This is on the grounds that the recent actions of the King has threatened his lands growing position in Flanders, including the Capetian allignment with Lothraingia. He calls back 12,000 troops from the feudal levies of the King, and allies neighboring vassals to boulster his revolt.
The Kingdom of Castile suffers some instability as a result of the recent excommunication of the Spanish Emperor. The Castilian nobility has greatly questioned the personal union with Aragon as being in their favor these years, as the recent conquests of Grenada and Navarre were entirely assumed by Aragon and left nothing to the Castilians that died in his service. The Castilian nobility then pushes for a restoration of an independent dynasty branched from the House of Barcelona, while remaining a vassal of the Emperor.
Andronikos Palaiologos, eldest son of Emperor John V, presents an ultimatum that he should be named Co-Emperor of Constantinople, or else he will press his retainers to revolt.
Owain Lowgoch greatly loses prestigue in Wales after his failed attempt at invasion.
Ethiopia falls into chaos along the arid territory of the African horn. A mass uprising of Muslim commoners murders the Coptic nobility in the southern cities, and forces the vassalized Muslim rulers to support their rebellion. This rebellion also spreads across the arid central regions of the horn, and also causes mass rioting in Somaliland, but to a much lesser degree.
A large-scale peasant revolt takes place in Japan across the island of Fukoku around Kochi. Some key Samurai in the military mutinies at this time as well to support the rebellion, on the promise of receiving wealth and land if they are successful. With this support of the regular military, the revolt takes over most of the island.
Civil unrest occurs in Morocco after the death of their last strong-willed king.
Bridget of Sweden visits a pilgrimage to Jerusalem, then returns to Rome where she dies. Everyone in both Rome and Sweden recognizes her as one of the Nine Worthy Women of Christendom.
Ibn Kathir writes numerous works of history in Damascus, keeping the Taymiyyah sect of Islam flourishing in the Abbasid Caliphate.
- Kingdom of England: with defeat of our forces at Bordeaux and Ponthieu we raise an army of 15,000 men led by the famous John Hastings, 2nd Earl of Pembroke we spilt this army into three of 5,000 which we used to both reinforce James Green of Tewkesbury and Andrew Smith of Hull, which Andrew Smith marches back to Compiègne while James Green of Tewkesbury escapes and ride to Aquitaine to meet with his men and to help the Spanish, we send the last 5,000 with John Hastings, 2nd Earl of Pembroke to retake Bordeaux, we also send 2,000 nation soldiers and 5,000 militas from south of England led by Gilbert Grey of Kent to attack Calais form the land while we send ten major ships and five minor to blockade and bombard it from a mile and a half away, Darwin Sheffield arms is pumping our arms and armour and supplies to be sent to the battlefield, at the shop the peaces of the steel cross ow are brought in, we get our best crossbow makers to make the most out of this, Isle of Wight shipyards start to pump out warships and trade ships with new cannons being made in Salisbury, we raise the army slighting with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouses are coming together nicely will be done in the next ten years we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure goods, in case of war a fortification strategy gets put in place build walls and seaforts and more around England, we also start to beef up our Scottish border with protection, we ask Portugal sign a treaty called the Anglo-Portuguese treaty of 1373 (Portugal needed).
- Portuguese Diplomacy: We accept the treaty.
- Japanese Empire: With the empire facing full scale revolt in Fukuoka, the Emperor noticies many of the smaller noble clans there as well as the recently rising Kuroda clan which has organized this in tandem with the Ninja clans which have permeated some of the less focused on areas of the empire. the 30,000 strong imperial army is mobilized to the crossing as are elements of the Imperial navy which due to sheer size of the fleet, and the small scale of the island, a blockade is established. with another 20,000 levied troops arriving in Hiroshima next to the Imperial Army the Fukuoka expedition is organized. Calling it clearly the Kochi-Kuroda revolt the Emperor personally joins the army intending to see combat first hand as well as plant a serious deterrent for attacking certain parts of the Army in case of killing the Emperor and effectively bringing even more wrath. Merchant ships and transports alike begin to ship the 50,000 strong army across to the island a rather short distance that would make it much easier to get the army on the island. The initial battle, however, takes place outside Kitakyushu against Sawasaki Soo of the Soo clan who had lent troops to the battle on the main islands. Amounting to nearly 20,000 in total the Rebel army arrays against its Imperial counterpart. The army takes of a highly defensive posture while on its attack in an attempt to secure and maintain a beachead. The Japanese army is stuck in a hard uphill fight as the rebellion claims the high ground and having been part of the Imperial force to pacify the island just a year prior maintains much of its heavy equipment and supplies. The two armies exchange serious artillery volleys with cannons, one of the first times two armies in Asia have used this on each other. The Imperial army forms its infantry formations under duress only for the small 500 strong Kensei order regiment to take the vanguard. While taking nearly 50 percent casualties themselves the Order forces are able to land as a serious enough distraction to force a shift in the rebels battle lines favoring their flank. The Main regiments of the army fire a volley from their longshoulder hand cannons tearing into the front formations and disrupting them, effectively drowning out the similar tactic from the Rebels. This does not negate the rebels own effect on the army as the front formations are moderately disrupted before the Ashigaru spearmen converge with their rebel counterparts. After nearly two hours of battle on the front lines and managing to buy enough time for another segment of the army to come ashore, The Imperial forces gain a significant boost in momentum as they overrun the foreward positions and win the day. The second day is much different from the first and the Kensei order is retired from battle and their service congratulated and rewarded heavily by the emperor as being one of the key lynchpins in buying time for more of the army to arrive on Kyushu. As the Imperial forces array in total strength now the Imperial army forms the core with 30,000 at the center with 10,000 situated on each flank. The armies converge cleanly on flatter ground outside the city and with the main forces locked in a quick cavalry charge turns right flank of the rebel army quickly turning them south into retreat. The initial battle near the city sees a defeat of the rebel forces outside Kitakyushu and the subsequent fall of the city and restoration of order. With the Rebel armies retreating farther south the Emperor and his Taisho and Kampaku begin preparing for more moves to the south to target more major cities that direction as well as possibly further destroy the Rebel armies in the field. The securing of the northern portions of Kyushu from the Kuroda clans revolt sees the public face of this revolt Shinichi Kuroda come forward to denounce the emperor and once again attempt to claim further land rights for the nobility. The success of the initial battle has sent much of the rebel forces to the south near Kumamoto while the Imperial army frees its administrators and loyal Samurai and Daimyo from the great city of Fukuoka. The revolt has had its initial shock to the economy previously with the serious disruption of trade and tax income comming from the area, so what changes seems to be the amount of trade income as the Trade guilds of the south have stopped contributing to the overall trade income. This also sees a lessining of the trade presence as large numbers of trade guild ships from the southern ports have been unable to embark due to the revolt. Settlement seems to also slow down this year as many men have lacked the ability or have gone to seek war related work rather than resettle in frontier territories. This does not hinder Hokkaido as the Island now graced by its full provincial status is able to more effectively manage and administrate the island. The Ainu having been treated fairly over the last few decades and being a large part of the base population of the island have begun to intermarry and assimilate clearly into the Japanese ethnicity in small but obvious numbers. The success of the first battles of the revolt have reached kyoto pleasing many and solidifying much of the time and money poured into the Imperial army. As the year continues on the planning of the Siege of Kumamoto is finalized and the Imperial army marches forward against the city intending to capture the city. Now well rested and supplied coming off the captured northern cities and garrison forts, as well as supplies rolling in off the heavily engineered Japanese roadway network, the Army pushes south along the Highway besieging the city. While not a complete encirclement as once again Sawasaki of the Soo clan commands the defense alongside his brother in arms and closest friend, Hiroshi Kuroda the heir apparent to the upstart clan and effective co-leader of the rebellion. With the rebel army arraying to the cities flank number about 15,000 outside the walls and 5,000 along the northern wall, the battle commences as primary focus is put on breaching the city walls and capturing the city first and foremost rather than turning the flank and turning this into a much longer siege. 30,000 troops await the breaching of the walls as the Imperial artillery regiment brings the cannons to the forefront and hammer the walls creating a clear and decisive breach. While this is ongoing the Rebel forces attempt a serious assault on the light Left flank of the Imperial army in an attempt to turn the left and condense the battle lines on themselves giving the Imperial army an untenable position on the field which would sandwhich them against the coast and leave only a small opening for the army to escape while also attempting to conduct a siege. Having taken pre-emptive measures for this, the Imperial forces have deployed rows of obstacles, Caltrops and stakes as well as a palisade made of light wood aimed at protecting against arrows, now the most numerous ranged munition in the rebels arsenal. The rain makes it difficult to light the matches and fuses for the Longshoulder hand cannons and the heavy artillery. This prompts the usage of traditional oiled parasols to be staked into the ground to keep water away from the gunpowder weaponry. The left flank successfully hold off the assault from the 15,000 rebels forcing them to retreat back lightly and take up positions out of range. This victory on the left flank is also met with a resounding victory inside Kumamoto as the multiple breaches have left the outer edges of the city inside the walls clearly under control of the Imperial army. As the rebel army retreats into the city further bringing down buildings to aid in their defense as makeshift walls, the Japanese navy arrives quietly in midst of the clear distractions on the cities northern edges. A volley of cannonfire from 30 ships tears into the city port and nearly 100 small coastal transports and ships reach the harbor taking it in a flash assault. The 3,000 of the Kyoto Guard Regiment and 2,000 other samurai secure the port facilities rather quickly and form up marching on the city center, using a signal of two flare munitions from hand cannons into the air to signal their success. This prompts a general push into the city in which the City center is hit from portside and northside. This causes a general retreat out of the city as the Rebel troops flee from the city out of the southern gate in into southern Kyushu badly bear. nearly 6,000 rebel troops have been killed to the Empires 2,500. Imperial control is restored and surprisingly enough the discipline of the Japanese soldiers prevails and the city is not sacked but is quickly and quietly occupied and brought into the fold. Sawasaki Soo is captured in the ensuing fight with Hiroshi the inferior commander of the two retreating south with his remaining 14,000 troops. The success of the siege of Kumamoto puts much of central Kyushu barring some of the southeastern portions under Imperial control and the Emperor now claims the Kumamoto palace as his headquarters as he moves to secure the remainder of the island next year.
- Kingdom of Scotland: We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II continues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. We offer Owain Lowgoch safe refuge in Edinburgh, promising him the full support of the Celtic Confederacy behind his cause to liberate his ancestral home of Wales, when the time is approperiate, as it has been a yearlong struggle of the both King David II Bruce and High King Tighearnach of Ireland, now also Ameraudur of the Celts, were he to swear fealty to the Celtic Confederacy and the Celtic Ameraudur Tighearnach. [Mod Response].
- Owain promises to join the confederacy if he restores the Kingdom of Wales.
- Mali Empire: Developments of technology and philosphy continue to be emenated from the University of Timbuktu, which capitalizes on the developments of mathematics and block printing particularly. Similar education is spread across the territories of Nigeria and Kanem where assimilation through secret soceities helps integrate local peoples into the empire. The finances of the empire taxed across the Trans-African Silk Road and the Nigerian tributary system are used to expand and supply the vast armies of the empire. In the Bono War, the initial success of Mustafa's invasion was stalled across the lakes of central Bononam. Despite being vastly outnumbered, Yahya Al-Shams was able to utilize local terrain to his advantage to drain out Mustafa's forces as much as possible. In an attempt to counter this, Mustafa organized a secondary invasion across the Gambia River in the far west, supported by the Riverine Navy of Mali. This initially proved to be far more effective, and quickly occupied much of the more northern core territories claimed by the Qamar-Shams union. At a key battle at northern Jabal Asada, however, Yahya's forces was able to decisvely thwart Mustafa's advacements in that region. It should be noted that during these campaigns in the Bono war, archaeology suggests that this conflict was not the same kind of "total war" usually experienced in Malian dynastic disuptes. Fighting was often sporadic and infrequent, with only one major battles attempted every few months. In general, the Bono War was more aptly described as an ongoing political rivalry between the Keita Dynasty and the Qamar-Shams Union. Mansa Mustafa ibn Ayyob offers his greatest condolences to the memory of Pisacus, who was greatly respected by his father. With the succeeding ruler of the Sidinate, Mikhail ibn Ismak, currently as a guest in the court of Niani, the Emperor of Mali strongly insists that he accept the Sidinate to become a direct protectorate and tributary of the Mali Empire. This would be the best way to ensure the fledgling nation remains protected from threats of Berbers of surrounding tribes. In addition, if made a protectorate of Mali then the empire will ensure that the Sidinate's borders are doubled in size or more. [MOD RESPONSE]. The Crown Prince Simba continues to travel around Europe to gather knowledge and experience, not having anything else to do.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The death of Newaya Krestos causes a wave of discontent to ripple throughout the Somali areas of the horn. Viewing the new Emperor’s crowning as an opportunity to rebel, the Muslim peasants of Ajuran revolt, forcing the newly Christianized monarch to revoke Christianity and side with the revolt. The peasants proceed to murder the newly installed Christian nobility and imprison numerous Christian monks. Seeing the Ajuran Peasant’s Revolt as an opportunity to secure his throne through military victory, as his father and grandfather did, the new Emperor Newaya Maryam resolves to crush the Ajuran peasants. He musters the Chewa, who provide 12,000 trained and battle-hardened veterans, while the nobles of Ethiopia provide an additional 12,000 men, induced by payments and promise of plunder. The Emperor also calls upon his allies Alodia and Makuria in the north to provide men to aid the war effort, citing the Muslim violence against Christians as well as their imprisonment of Christian monks as a causes belli and claiming the war is to defend Christendom [MOD RESPONSE NEEDED]. The Imperial forces move into the northern Horn, where its presence quells much of the rioting and reasserts Imperial authority. The Emperor sends messengers to each of the Somali tribes in Ethiopian Somaliland, requesting a meeting with the tribal elders in good faith to discuss the reasons for the Somalis recent unrest [MOD RESPONSE ON DEMANDS]. The Emperor guarantees the safety of each tribal leader who comes to eat and drink at his table.
- Alodia and Makuria send help to Ethiopia, about 5,000 troops.
- The Somaliland tribes are willing to mediate with Ethiopia, as long as they can be assured of maintaining their independent culture and language
- Iceland: The Population rises to 32,800 and the militia is raised to 750 soldiers. Four longboats are added to the Confederate Navy. A Papal Tudor is requested for Prince Ólaf and Princess Guðríður(Papal Response Needed). The Scottish settlement in Greenland is reward with a budget of a small academy. A seat in Althingi is added for every new Greenlandic settlement of Iceland. Icelandic Gaelic is spoken 2,000 people and Diarmada is the head professor of the teaching. Preparations for the Grand Festivals of Independence to celebrate one-half a century of Icelandic Independence. A statue of St. Ari is added to the Royal Garden. The navy tries to reach out to the last year’s expedition in hopes of getting any new. (Mod Response Needed). The Icelandic Militia under the Duke of Greenland is sent to Scotland to be used in the Owain War (Scottish Response Needed).
- You discover a landmass (Baffin Island), but its blocked behind a sheet of ice. Even the Inuits don't go that far.
- The Explorers named it “Arnarsland”.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We appreciate Icelandic support for Owain's rightful claim on Wales and when hostilities rekindle we'd be happy to receive their support.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V sends a tutor from Saint Augustine University.
- Kingdom of France: Louis X decries the Burgundian revolt as another attempt by the enemies of God to break the unity of France. He urges all loyal countrymen to rise in support of the king, not merely as a representative of the House of Capet, but as a defender of the realm. The alternative: murder, plunder, and rape at the hands of the Spaniards. French envoys ask Lotharingia, the House of Capet's truest friend, for help in quelling the insurrection. Owain's shattered legion, now reduced to 6,000 men, returns to France. They are then sent along with the fleet of 15 ships to break the blockade and lift the Siege of Calais. Gilbane Belaud musters a strong defense around Bordeaux against yet another English invasion. He contests the enemy's advance down the River Garonne in an attempt to prevent them from reaching the city. This time, his skill in battle and the soundness of his doctrines will be seriously tested. After the Battle of Toulouse, Jean of Narbonne falls ill and relinquishes his command of the 40,000 to General Enguerran, who is in truth a more practical choice. Enguerran reorganizes his forces thusly: Three groups of 5,000 are split off, two of which are sent to harass the Spanish and English armies encamped in Gascony and attack their supply lines coming from Basque Country. They are given express orders to avoid direct engagements, but to sow as much damage and confusion as they can; the burning of fields is permitted. These two armies end up disseminating further into a number of smaller irregular units which roam undetected over the countryside. The third group of 5,000 is sent to reinforce Belaud's defense of the Bordeaux area. Louis X arrives from Clermont with 15,000 men, including 3,000 knights and knights' retinues, and 2,500 Swiss mercenaries. Tired of staying behind and commanding from a distance, he decides to lead the French army into Aquitaine. The French forces garrison and fortify the town of Mont-de-Marsan, with the king taking residence in the keep. He bolsters the existing fortifications. General Enguerran sets up position at nearby Aire-sur-l'Adour. The 4,000 new Swiss mercenaries are sent to contest the English army at Compiègne; the battle is a stalemate in favor of the Swiss. After successfully repulsing the English at Calais, Owain Lawgoch follows them into Picardy. He coordinates his advance with the Swiss legion. The two armies surround Ponthieu: the Swiss from the interior and the Normans from the coast, supported by a fleet of 15 ships. They attack decisively, hoping to at once disable the English army and conquer the exclave so that it may no longer be used as a staging ground for future invasions. Meanwhile, in the southeast, 5,000 troops carrying the banners of Arles and Savoy, along with 3,000 French levies raised from countryside, invade the Hispanic exclave of Montpellier. The goal here is much the same as the attack on Ponthieu: a strategic move to deprive the Spanish of a staging ground in France proper. With the concentration of Anglo-Spanish forces on Bordeaux, the various French units also converge on that city.
- 'Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di":' سيدي إرميا الهلشتية (sydy ermya alhlshtyh) begins to suffer more and more, the Sidi having a hard time even talking now due to the effects of the cancer. This causing a decrease of active decrees and law making by the Sidi, as he has difficulties talking and actual being active. So most of his power is handed to the Grand Iman until Michael is able to return to Saharawi, as it does take a while before the news can reach mali. The Sidi also wanting that his son can improve and learn as much as possible about Mali and her way of governance. Mali being less centralised and slightly more tribal then Lotharingia, but with less stationary population it is hard to do. As the land is a lot less fertile then that of the Old Lotharingian homeland, so the Sadiyanate is more relient on fishing then it ever was before. So people have to switch from the heavly ground taxing grains to millet and sorgo for food, as these produce better yields then grain in these conditions. This creating some difficulty with the Lotharingian setlers as they have to change what they actualy eat a lot compared to when they were in their home country. One new popular dish being Rice with rice made into a pie, this being expensive but well-liked. New pie being available for the Lotharingians, as the standard of living begins to increase. With more money coming this being due to better efficiency in taxation and the progres of technology. Roads getting better and ships getting plentier then ever before, this all helping movement and trade. Lotharingia building more and more ships on average 15 ships, although most of them are smaller vessels. The cogs being the most popular kind there being around 150 Cogs, 40 Galiots and 15 Carracks and five galleys, although this number can be delusionary as most ships follow the Vlootleen. Which is a system where Merchants can use ships build for the Königlich-Lotharingische Marine, during peace while paying fees for maintenance and for the saileos. The conditions being a small aditional fee, and that they from the moment that war has arived they will aid the Royal cause. Help the Königlich-Lotharingisches Heer with suplies, and allow Royal naval comanders to lead the royal ships. The King Charles trying to keep the two forces in touch with each other, so they can work togheter then other forces in Europe and beyond. A Royal army that's preparing for war the size drasticly increasing from 12,000 soldiers to 18,000 members of the the Königlich-Lotharingisches Heer. This is done by calling on those who had to follow mandatory archery leasons, thus most of the new soldiers are Archers and some lesser nobles. Although 2,000 of these new soldiers are the recently renamed Utrechts paaps Armee which is the forces from all over Utrecht. All these soldiers receiving new training weaponry and drills, these include linguistics. As to make sure all soldiers can understand their commander, as their is a minority who speak French, Walloon and Frisian. With only French and Walloon forming a big problem as their language is completely different from that of the rest of the Empire, but no fear. The Command promises to only use a few Lotharingian terms, and use dutch on Regiment and squad level. While the king issues a new Royal Decree creating the Königliche Garde Johanns des Siegreichen, a Medium sized task forces that's fully armed by the king with profesional gear. This gear being standardised and with only the best of men being allowed in the Army, with requirements of Religion, background and loyalty.
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council refuses Venice's offer, with several members including Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli openly expressing disgust at what they see as another instance of Venetian bribery and corruption even after the change of government. However, as the Central Council also does not approve of Padania funding Hispania and generally thinks the conflict in France to be more important and urgent than the one in Italy, the 4,000 Swiss mercenaries in Italy are relocated to France, meaning there are now 6,500 Swiss mercenaries aiding King Louis X of France. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg joins with Louis X in urging the King of Lotharingia and Holy Roman Emperor to support the French cause, lest all of the Holy Roman Empire be threatened by the vicious, land-grabbing Hispanians. Domestically, the government continues funding the rebuilding of Biel/Bienne following the fire caused by Jean III de Vienne. Construction of the Priory of Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort completes and its leader Ludovico Mazzo, now appointed as the new Bishop of Basel, also contributes financially to the rebuilding of Biel/Bienne as a sort of atonement for the actions of his predecessor. Meanwhile, Bishop of Chur Frederick Capet, who also had to deal with the actions of a corrupt predecessor, has largely managed to stabilise the finances of his bishopric after Peter Gelyto's mismanagement and funding is restored to the ecclesial hospital and town guard of Chur. Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli works on improving and expanding the ecclesial school of his bishopric, and at his urging the Central Council gives some funding to each of the nation's three bishoprics for improving their ecclesial hospitals and schools. The Canton of Basel-City sends an envoy to the city of Solothurn, whose territories are now almost completely surrounded by the Swiss Cantons of Basel-Bishopric, Basel-City, Aargau and Bern; the envoy suggests that Solothurn should join the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of Solothurn for logistical benefit and greater infrastructure and trade. (Mod response) Heinrich II von Lenzburg and Catherine of Nassau-Wiesbaden have their first child, a son named Ulrich VII (b. 1373). Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits Wenceslaus I, Duke of Saxe-Wittenberg and Imperial Elector under the Charter of 1357, proposing a marriage between Wenceslaus (b. ~1337, OTL married in 1376) and Ulrich's daughter Agnes von Lenzburg (b. 1354). (Mod response) The joint military of the Confederacy focuses on fortifying the nation's western border in the Cantons of Bern and Sion.
- Elector Wenceslaus agrees.
- Solothurn joins the confederacy.
- Kingdom of Eiru: Dubhghall Aengus finally defeats the pirate threat in the main killing his former partners after an unsuccessful attempt to ambush him at Galway. With the end of the piracy threat in the main the budget is reduced for the navy and it's agreed that 1,000 Pounds a year will be used for the maintenance of some 20 galleys and skeleton crews to act as the core in the event of a new war. Otherwise cattle raiding and a general heavy feudalism remains. The High King and Ameraudur Tighearnach sees the war in Europe and decides the war isn't leaning one way or another and so he has no interest in involvement.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and cultural exchanges continue to finally slow down, although with the various market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy of the region. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into a more organic ethnicity. After confirmation of the existence of the Kingdoms of Zapotek, Uakusï Tonauac leads an invading force of 12,500 into the western Zapotek, starting a rough and hardened campaign across the new frontier. After suggestions for allies in the war are made, Cazonci Nalhen sends a messenger to the League of Maya, asking them to provide garrisons for the war, with a return of territory and wealth awaiting our collective victory [Mayan Response Needed]. Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, now giving his care to the elder mathematician and philosopher Tenoch so he may learn basic, fundamental sciences. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, continue their training as warriors for the Empire, influencing their minds to the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in conflicts. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh continues to raise her and the deceased priest Tepeu's children, Iuihua and Chen. Yaluk's second child, Yaluk II, is born to an unknown female. The period of the Text of Tlēolaltik continuesw.
- The Mayapan League wishes to remain neuteral in Mexican conflicts and focus on their defense (answering for Cour).
- Papal States: Pope Nicholas V is satisfied with the situation in Venice and removes the interdict placed over the nation, but the ex-Doge Mastino continues excommunicated. The pontiff is saddened with the death of Bridget of Sweden and personally celebrates a mass in her memory. Then, her body is buried in the Church of Divine Mercy in Rome. Due to Bridget's life, the pope declares her Servant of God. The translation of the Bible done in Scotland is analyzed by the pope and the Curia. After some deliberation, the Celtic translation is approved. Feeling that his time on Earth is coming to an end, the pontiff removes the excommunication placed over the House of Barcelona. This is not because he believes that they are good Christians, but because Nicholas is afraid that they will retaliate against the people of the Papal States after his death. Even with the excommunication being removed, the anonymous pamphlets degrading the House of Barcelona continue to appear, increasing an anti-Hispanic feeling in the population. A new ilustration appears, it shows a Devil giving birth to a man wearing the Coat of Arms of the House of Barcelona. This seems to be from the same author of the one that appeared last year. Terrible rumors circulate in the streets, one of those being that the House of Barcelona do sacrifices of children to the Devil and make bacchanals in the Cathedral of Saint Mary of Toledo. Some peasants consider that the decline of the pope's health is due to poisoning by the Hispanics. The hate against them grows even more after the people hears that some nobles and the Cardinal Gómez Manrique laughed of the excommunication. The situation reaches a dire point when one of Cardinal Manrique's pages is found hanged in front of the Cardinal's residence in Rome. Panflets against the House of Barcelona start to spread to the nations close to the Papal States. Secretly, anonymous letters are sent to the nobles of Castile, showing support from the people of the Papal States to their desire of freedom from the direct control of the House of Barcelona. Ilustrations is sent with the letters, showing the Leviathan of Barcelona (the nickname for the Royal House of Hispania) whipping a chained woman that represents Castile [MOD response needed, please]. The illustration seems to be of the same author of those that appeared in the Papal States. Pope Nicholas calls for peace but he is far to weak, during the celebration of the Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve, the Blessed Virgin appears to him, telling that he will leave this world on the Three Kings' feast. The pontiff fall ill on Christmas Night.
- Republic of Venice: When the treasonous Spaniards and Greeks enter the war, the navy is mobilized and all aresnali are as well, to assure a quick boost of the Venetian navy. 600 of the already existing 1,500 ships that are capable of fighting are sent to the Thyrrenese sea, sinking every ship that carries a Padanian flag and to secure the blockade in the Thyrrhenese Sea (NAVAL ALGO, PLEASE). Some of the most formidable 300 vessels are also sent to Rhodes and into the Aegean to raid the Roman navy, and to evacuate the island. Everything that is remotely of any worth will be sent to Crete, the harvests on Rhodes will be done earlier and Crete will be massively enforced with troops and also civillians to help constructing the fortifications.. However, most of the navy is occupied securing the entrance to the Adriatic sea to prevent any more serious problems. The retreating soldiers are ordered to seize any viable farm utilities, livestock and grain around Parma, and to salt the earth around the city, so that the Padanians, despite making gains can't capitalize from it. A similar picture is seen in Florence, where all water sources are poisoned by having rotting animal corpses or buckets full of feces thrown into them. This scenery drags way up to the Venetian border, where now approximately 60,000 men enforce newly finished fortifications, all ready to rush to each others aid. All troops are ordered to tactically retreat into Venetian lands (while most commanders grow a blind eye for mass lootings and burnings of villages along the way) SECRET A doctor in Venice is ordered to find at least 30 people who are infected with the relatively recently discovered influenza, have 100 prostitutes infected with the disease and have them sent to Padanian camps, to spread the illness amongst their soldiers (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE) SECRET END. Hungary is asked for aid in form of either mercenaries or actual troops and a loose alliance in return for Dalmatia and Ragusa. (MOD/HUNGARY RESPONSE NEEDED).
Secret The doge plans to hand over all Venetian lands and riches to either the pope or neutral Hungarian, so that Padania is unable to get them secret end.
(short turn due to constant blackouts)
- Hungary accepts the alliance and loans them 5,000 mercenaries.
- Kingdom of Portugal: Amidst the rising tensions all over Europe, there is a ray of hope when Princess Beatrice of Portugal and Prince Philippe of Gordes marries in a lavish ceromony. The marriage sees the small village of Gordes pass into Portuguese possession and all of its 123 citizens are granted Portuguese citizenship (agreed with France through discord and accepted by nate). Meanwhile, King John I falls ill and believes his time is over. (Mod response needed)
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: The Hungarians control the north of Wallachia from the northeast part we launch a campaign march in the northeast direct control by the House of Bassarab it's not because we're going to liberate Moldova but one day yes controlled by these enemies in our border, the army proposed a strategy to reconquer Moldova the knight must have a shield and a horse for this liberation of conquest against the enemies of our territory and that the church should raise an alarm for the conquest of this idea requested by the voidoive Vladislav I since, a fortress was built in the Carparthian's Romanian near the part of the northeast one night after the development the church celebrates a Christmas party called răciun he prepares bran and pork bread fruit in the room of the church and the Christmas crib most of peoples in the celebrates goes in Jerusalem for a pelerinage at this party holidays anyway the Wallachian analyzes the Carpathians Romanian is controlled by Hungarians the separatist Dukes of Wallachia, joined the battle of the northeast with their army. The Slovaks support the battle for the reconquest of the territories lost in Wallachia at their reconquest's main prespective.
- Kingdom of Padania: The Spanish forces bring the total forces to 30,000 including Swiss mercenaries. They move out quickly in order to try to end this war as fast as possible in order to try to avoid getting cut off the forces move to siege Verona and capture that city before moving farther east toward Venice proper. Cannons are brought in order to assist in the siege as well as sappers in an attempt to break down the walls. Ladders and siege weapons are brought including multiple battering rams. Florentine assassins are dispatched to cause chaos and eliminate major names among those in the city. (Algo needed) Secret: A force of 5,000 Padanian regulars defends the Parma border with messengers dispatched as often as possible between the two forces to keep them both up to date with the latest information. Should either side go more than two expected times without reporting the forces have orders to assume the worst and move out. End Secret. The navies continue to blockade Venice and restrict exports to and by Venice virtually cutting all outside over-sea trades. The Hungarian mercs are met with little surprise from Padania as Cassono figured that some other powers would eventually feel bad for the Venetians situation. “Pathetic they do realise they are outnumbered with less allies and both of us are virtually out of manpower to pull, plus they’re against me, the still unbeaten Cassono della Torre. Oh, well, to Victory or death.” Secret: Padania proposes that should Hungary remove their forces they A) won't lose forces and B) will still receive what Venice promised. (Mod response needed.) (End Secret.)
- Nyazwe: Economic recovery in the southern districts of Nyazwe continues apace with few roadblocks, largely thanks to the extensive intervention of the state in assisting laborers accomplish their deadlines on reconstruction projects. The expansion of the road network helps to create new avenues for settlements of the country as the population begins to expand again several years following the end of the civil war. Construction of the Vakadanwa armory in Lusvingo is concluded, with more than 500 craftsmen, artisans, overseers, state clerks, and porters employed at the location. Using the vast gold, iron, and copper resources of the country to fund and equip the needs the armory, the state begins to expand the number of finished goods produced in the country for local consumption and export. Manyikeni's population has largely recovered from the conscription policies of the Mutape, leading to an economic revitalization in the surrounding region and more labor becomes available to the rural population. A road leading from Manyikeni to Muromo Weshiri to the north is opened, with the hope of tethering the nation's two largest ports together, and creating a new economic corridor that will benefit the country as a whole. In light of the increased foreign trade to Nyazwe, the Zvikepe is expanded with six vessels purchased several years ago, allowing it to better patrol the waters of the country, and ensure the taxes on imports and exports are collected. The navy is expanded by an additional four muvhimi to bring the total number of ships to 20, with half to be based out of Muromo Weshiri and the other half our of Muromo Wenyika. The merchant fleets of Nyazwe on the other-hand outnumber of navy by a factor of three, and have witnessed tremendous growth in recent years, with trade to the Indian and Persian lands helping with the recent need for expansion. Out in the western district of Kumadokero, continued migration into its lands has taken place, with several hundred people settling in the region and establishing communities in the fertile floodplains around Maun and Gantsi. Cattle rearing and sorghum cultivation help to encourage trade in Kumadokero, as well as getting more and more of the Khoisan natives to settle down within the Shona communities. Most of the Khoisan in the region have set up their homes inside the settlements of Nyazwe's westernmost district, viewing the settled life of the Shona as preferable to the old hunter-gatherer ways of their ancestors. Due to the direct role of the state in helping integrate the Khoisan into country's population, most Khoisan youth speak the Shona language in public, and wear Shona clothing and have Shona names. The government in Lusvingo has thus labeled the Khoisan as "partially compliant with Faraic teachings", and opens several avenues of advancement to their people in exchange for their continued integration into wider Nyazwe society. Elsewhere, Kusvika finishes his work in Mombasa and Kilwa, noting that both cities are largely the same in terms of culture and economic position, though Kilwa seems smaller than Mombasa and more prone to the whims of the neighboring peoples of Somalia. Buying passage to the island of Socotra, Kusvika takes a brief period of time to document the unique plant-life and landscape of the island, which he declares to be totally unlike anything found in Nyazwe. Though he wishes to stay a bit longer, the captain of the vessel he chartered informs him of his plans to leave for Aden. After a few days at sea, Kusvika finally arrives in Aden, where he finds a city more unique in terms of population density than those of the Swahili city-states or Nyazwe itself. The architecture of the city of the Arabs appears far more solid, with more of a focus on the longevity of the buildings themselves rather than for what one could take as temporary habitation of the unit. Exploring the city and the surrounding areas outside of Aden, Kusvika comes to appreciate the designs and functions of the city's many structures, finding many of is religious buildings to be larger than anything found in Nyazwe. Though he bemoans the waste of time, resources, and architectural ingenuity on such religious pursuits, Kusvika still respects the endeavors of the Arabs, and documents their works extensively. Following his stay in the city, Kusvika makes plans to head for the city of Sana'a, where he intends to stay for the rest of the following year.
- Roman Empire: Basileus John V confident in his son’s strength, bravery, and unwilling to start a civil war agrees to his terms, elevating him to a true equal and Basileus. However, with more pressing matters most in the empire are focused on outside threats rather than internal politics. Andronikos and his men continue to lay siege to Rhodes, constructing trebuchets to rain hell down upon the Venetian defenders as well as repulse Venetian warships. The men protect Rhodes’ farmers from pillaging Venetian bandits, massacring the small parties as they attempt to harvest food outside the walls of the main city. Several trebuchets are used to launch pamphlets of propaganda into the city walls, rallying Greeks to rise up against the Venetian thieves who would sack their own city. (Mod Response) In Crimea Basileus John V is reinforced by Alexios III of Trebizond and 1,500 men. This swings the battle more decidedly in favor of the attackers who begin to make progress against the personal retainers of the Venetians in the region. During the campaign Basileus John V seeks to arrange a marriage between his son Manuel Palaiologos and one of Alexios’ daughters to secure a more permanent alliance. (Mod Response) Meanwhile, the Roman Navy gathers in Constantinople where it rendezvous with the Trebizonde Navy and the ships of willing subjects of the empire who seek glory against the Venetians. The combined fleet of 40 war galleys, perhaps 80 merchant ships fitted for war, and another 100 or so smaller vessels sets sail to combat the Venetian fleet in the Aegean. (Algo and Mod Assessment Needed) The ships are outfitted with springalds to throw incendiary grenades filled with Greek fire, reek fire siphons, and other small ranged weapons. Additionally, the Roman flagship carries a pair of bow-mounted cannons as well as a stern-facing cannon.
- Alexios offers his daughter Eudokia in marriage.
- Crown of Spain: With the lifting of the excommunication, Francisco thanks the pope for his forgiveness and makes it in his best interest to attend service in the Cathedral of Toledo. With the news of Castilian representatives reaching the council over potential lowering of status in the personal union, Francisco decides to do what his father had failed to as leader of Castile and Aragon. With Castilian and Aragonese Representatives in the Council within Toledo, La Decretos Nuevos are established resulting in the title of Emperor being placed as a title in which encompasses Iberia but more importantly outlines the unified administration of the Spanish Iberian Kingdoms into what is regarded to officially be the Crown of Spain/Kingdom of Spain with its administration being the foundation of the capital and Francisco the king with this title coming before the Emperor. With the official resolve of the Spanish Administration, focus on the war effort of Juan de Roses results in a readied engagement at Bordeaux. Here, the Spanish Atlantic Fleet blocks off the waterways of the River Garonne while 52,000 Spaniards engage alongside the English Army. Using the longbow and arrows as a signal for engagement, the flaming arrows of the Spanish and English come down on the French soldiers on the ground in order to wreak havoc as the defenses are hit with the siege weapons brought on to reclaim Bordeaux using fire as a tool launching boulders and flammable material to target defenses as cannons practiced previously are used once more to also target defensive points of Bordeaux as following the waves of siege weapon firing and launching, the cavalry and men on the ground would engage in combat to tear down the rest of the men in order to surround and bring the recapturing of the territory. The Spanish Army appoint men to be dedicated for scouting across Aquitaine and to prevent disruption and take out any Frenchmen that intend to harm English and Spanish interests without proper engagement. Meanwhile, with the French assault on Montpellier beginning, The forces at Montpellier ready themselves and brace for assault led by Marco Ruiz de Rousillion. At the defenses, archers are used to fire on the men who target the defense while flaming substances and oils are used upon the men as various means of defense are applied. Small groups of Cavalry and Infantryman ready to destroy any enemy who try to take the city with them openly ready to engage using weapons such as the men themselves being used to target the enemy through the means of cavalry and archers but also the infantrymen themselves using grenades to destroy the men as the cavalry in the case of weakness of defenses would use the cavalry to attempt to surprise the Frenchmen from the sides of the city and hopefully create enough chaos around to squeeze them and destroy their forces. They accept they may lose this battle but not the war. Supplies from sea are ensured to sustain the city as much as possible with as much that can be given. The Spanish Army at home have Prince Orlando be positioned to lead the army as they ready to build to march either to relieve or retake Montpellier following the assault this year as Perpignan sees defenses of her fortifications expanded to ready if assault comes to her walls.
- Majapahit Empire: With the arrival of a new year, Raja Hayam Wuruk orders it so that his son, Wikramawardhana, starts to appear in court as well as teaching him of matters pertaining to state and politics in an effort by Hayam Wuruk to prove Wikramawardhana's competence to all that doubt it. The census taken at the Raja's orders has reported 4.5 million people across Majapahit territory. (Mod Response, note: came up with this number with Feud, revise if necessary). The Emperor reaches out to nearby powers to establish relations and trade as his navy expands ever outward into protecting the trade that has been neglected. A diplomatic party is sent to the Kingdom of Dai Viet which has recently begun to poke its head into trade to request a trade deal and safe passage to Dai Viet ports. (Mod Response). Contact with the Kingdom of Ayutthaya has also been established to request trade. (Mod Response). Another diplomatic group has been sent to the Kingdom of Lavo to request trade. (Mod Response). A diplomatic party has also been sent to the Kingdom of Singapura to request trade and port access. (Mod Response). A diplomatic envoy has also been dispatched to the Kingdom of Pegu to request trade. (Mod Response). Another one has been sent to China to request trade (China Player Response). One other party has been sent to Hindustand to request trade (Hindustan Response). Lastly, a party has been dispatched to Japan to request trade (Japan Player Response). In an attempt to establish Majapahit's presence in the Strait of Malacca, the navy has been ordered to establish a garrison on the island of Batam with estimates going at two years for completion. The Bhayangkara (Majapahit elite troops, 6,000 men) have been ordered to be given renewed training as the standing army of Majapahit. An inspection of the navy has revealed 200 jongs with with 300 smaller vessels with shipyard production estimated to give 10-15 jongs a year but 20-25 for smaller vessels. The government has placed additional orders for cetbangs and rentakas to cannon foundries to produce more gunpowder weapons. After witnessing a scholars demonstration of a hand cannon, the Raja has decided to experiment with it and outfit the Bhayangkara with them placing an order for 100 of these hand cannons for use. The Raja also orders for lighter, faster ships of the navy to be singled out for use as government communications across the region to ensure greater connectivity between Java and administrators across the region. On Java, orders are given to workers to improve upon the the irrigation system by repairing damages and installing more as necessary.
- Hindustani Response: The request to establish trade is accepted.
Pope Nicholas V dies, calling a new papal conclave to elect the new pope. This election comes during a theologic conflict in the church as a result of Scotland's translation of the Bible into Gaelic. The College of Cardinals agrees that the next pope must affirm the Catholic dogma that authorized, inspired scripture remains in Latin, while other translations are for reference use only.
With the decisive victory of Padania over Venice's invasion attemept, many nobles under Torre's rule urge to make peace with Venice, in light of the depleted manpower and devestating destruction caused by the conflict.
Burgundy decides to press their revolt against France, seeing little opposition with France distracted by England and Spain. 10,000 troops are sent to siege the city of Dijon, while 7,000 troops are sent to secure control over Picardy and open the path from Flanders to Paris. The remaining 3,000 troops stay behind in case of needing to call a defense.
King John I of Portugal dies, and having no children the throne passes to his brother, crowned as King Denis II. Like his brother, Denis is the bastard son of Peter I and his wife Ines de Castro, who were legitimized by Papal Bull.
A revolt takes place in Rhodes, as the Greek population is fed up with the scorched earth policies Venice uses all the time. They work with the Byzantines to overrun whatever fortifications are left on the island. The Kingdom of Hungary continues to support Venice with supplied mercenaries, and immediately relinquishes the Dalmatian territories as the independent Republic of Ragusa, as a Hungarian protectorate.
The Principality of Monaco declares its support for France, thus tipping the balance of power in Europe.
The revolt across Kyushu continues, as the remaining military retreats back to their capital in Kochi. General uncertainty and unrest remains inspired from the revolt in other provinces. The order of the Ninjas works at attempting to assassinate key members of the Japanese military, and organize similar hit-and-run tactics against the regular Samurai.
A plague of Ergotism breaks out across the city of Aachen, also known as Saint Anthony's Fire, caused by long-term exposure to ergot fungus in local wheat products. Similar plagues break out across much of the Rhineland.
Geoffery Chaucer publishes his first major, The Book of the Duchess, written in memory of the noblewoman Blanche of Lancaster.
King Gongmin of Korea is assassinated, and is succeeded by King No U.
The former King Magnus of Sweden-Norway dies, having been deposed years earlier.
- Kingdom of England: With Andrew Smith of Hull and Gilbert Grey of Kent armies defeated at Compiègne and Calais, we tell Andrew Smith of Hull to regroup and form up as we send 2,000 fresh reinforcements, we order them head to woods outside of cergy and build a small fort to wait until next orders, John Hastings, 2nd Earl of Pembroke army is slowing marching to Bordeaux to buy time for the Spanish to get there, we repair our damaged ships and bring them back to the Isle of Wight see a good idea, we put out a bounty to any vessel,crew,or ship that is willing and arm to take French ships and raid coastal towns the more ships sunked or taking and the more towns raided gets you a hire reward, with this bounty we break through the blockade at Ponthieu with 2,000 army and 7,000 militias from the west midlands led by Charles Conroy of Dudley to reinforce the already existing defense and build new coastal defense, Darwin Sheffield arms is pumping our arms and armour and supplies to be sent to the battlefield, at the shop we get our best crossbow makers making the closest to the steel crossbow yet this will be out next year, Isle of Wight shipyards keeps pumping out warships and trade ships with new cannons being made in Salisbury, we raise the army slighting with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouse are coming together nicely will be done in the next ten years we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure goods, in case of war a fortification strategy gets put in place build walls and seaforts and more around England, we also start to beef up our Scottish border with protection.
- Mali Empire: Financially and culturally, the Empire of Mali continues to develop its civilization and society into what would be considered a modern status. The University of Timbuktu have fully incorporated both European science and philosphy, as well as the similar modern sciences and mathematics from the Islamic world. The great influx of merchants and settlers along both the northern and western borders helps to vastly change the landscape of their infrastructure. Both the cities of Timbuktu and Dakar, as far as modern archaeology can tell, grew to the development of European medieval cities sometime in the late 14th century. This resulted in creating a much more dramatic disparity between different levels of soceity across the empire, as many people in the more central and eastern regions lived in very rural, largely nomadic lifestyles. Still, the widespread education system in Mali helped to at least give an even undertsanding of basic communication, religion and customs across the empire. Caravan trade continues to provide a steady revanue of taxes in trade. Mansa Mustafa sends an expedition to the Mamluk Sultanate, asking to reaffirm our alliance and trade agreements set up during the reign of Abu Bakr II (EGYPT RESPONSE). The Bono War reached its greatest turning point this year. Yahya Al-Shams manages to execute a decisive campaign throughout the year that manages to break through the weakest link in Mustafa's defenses, cross the Gambia River and march all the way into the Senegal Valley to sack the city of Segu. This military campaign is some of the most detailed battles across all the contemporary historical literature of that generation, and is somewhat still studied in African military history to this day. It's often referred to as the "Fatima Campaign" due to an apocryphal anecdote associated with it. According to one historian, Mansa Mustafa determined that the only way to break the spirit of the Bono was to sever the union between the Qamar and Shams houses. So he sent agents to infiltrate the palace of Yahya, and kidnap his wife Fatima as she was starting to take a bath. Enranged at this mistreatment of his wife, Yahya rallied together his generals in a very ambitious campaign to rescue her, resulting in the sacking of Segu in the process. Although this is mentioned in one contemporary source, its absence in the other sources and fantastic imagery makes it very unlikely to have ever happened.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Emperor Newaya Maryam meets with the Somali tribal elders and hears that their concerns of losing their Islamic Somali cultural heritage caused them to push back against the Amharic Christian Ethiopian Empire. In order to assuage their fears and end the discontent, the Emperor makes a formal pledge to not impose any laws that will restrict, limit or eliminate Somali culture, including Islamic traditions. However, the taxes on Muslims in place will remain, and the tribal elders will pledge personal loyalty to the Emperor. This pledge of tolerance is known as the Edict of Maydh, named for the city it was made in. After the ceremony and a night of feasting to celebrate the compromise, the Imperial Army moves south along the coast, aiming to pacify Ajuran next. Numerous disassembled siege weapons, such as trebuchets, mangonels, and battering rams, are brought with the army as well. The Ethiopian navy, as well as one of the trade fleets of the Merchants’ Guild, sails with the army as it marches along the coast, laden with supplies. This provides a stable source of supplies for the army as it marches down the coast. The 29,000 strong Ethiopian Army, including a corps of 12,000 well-trained and battle-hardened veterans, arrives in northern Ajuran, where it begins burning, pillaging and looting settlements, intending to provoke the Somali peasants into a decisive battle as it pillages its way southward toward Mogadishu [ALGO NEEDED]. Domestically, the government creates incentives for cotton farmers from Hindustan to move to Ethiopia, offering high paid jobs as Imperial farm workers and offering land to start their own farms. This is done with the hope of boosting Ethiopia’s cotton industry. In Europe, the delegation hears that the war in Western Europe shows no sign of ending, and instead only seems to be intensifying. The delegation decides it cannot continue waiting for the war to end, and resolves to travel by ship rather than risk traveling through a kingdom at war. As such, the delegation makes preparations to leave Rome and embark for southern Italy, which they know to be ruled by a great empire known as the Hispanic Empire. The delegation arrives in southern Italy and attempts to book passage to the mainland of the empire, Hispania. The delegation soon arrives at Valencia and sends a message to the Hispanic Emperor, asking permission to visit the Hispanic Imperial Court and to meet with the Emperor [SPANISH RESPONSE NEEDED]
- The Hanseatic League: Following the Kattegat War, the various merchants-made-soldiers return to their home ports. A spike in population increases starting this year, as more and more soldiers return. Though the population was thinned following the Black Death, particularly in urban areas, a population boom never hurts. However, many sailors were on contract, and went right back to work after the war. The return of war veterans means an upswing in injured veterans. One notable instance takes place this year, years after the war. A disturbed man in Hamburg who had been a sailor in the Kattegat War murders his family with an axe. He is arrested and tried. Somehow, he escapes custody and apparently kills two men 'with his hands and teeth' before fleeing, never to be found. This incident has the denizens of Hamburg spooked. Stories of his deeds pass into legend and many grizzly murders are blamed on the man, who becomes known as 'the Hamburglar.' By the year's end, over 13 deaths are blamed on the Hamburglar. In the meantime, stories of Kris Kringle spread through Lübeck. His Yuletide acts of generosity inspire more positive legends. Each Christmas, through some means, children are acquiring toys. Banned by decree of Lübeck, many toys were confiscated, with the Bishop of Lübeck declaring they are distractions from holy duties, leading to a lack of the introspection needed by a young soul going through the sacraments. However, the Bishop of Hamburg famously disagrees with this decree, arguing that the next generation of financial geniuses needs toys to develop the creativity needed for such endeavors. On Christmas Day 1372, he hosts a renegade Kris Kringle at St. Nicholas's Cathedral in Hamburg. Allegedly, when Bürgermeister Karl von Bardewik learned of this development, he flew into a furious tirade that ended only with the man suffering a near-fatal stroke out of sheer anger. When he comes to, he decrees that toys are no longer banned in the Hanseatic League. Whether he had a genuine change of heart or the confused legal recanting only brain damage can explain remains a question for historians. His rival, Hans Warendorp, is noted as saying von Bardewik's stroke 'is a Christmas miracle.' The Weihnachtsstadt this year celebrates Dithmarschen, a peasant republic on the border with Schleswig. The Hansa offers to loan money either England or France, with shipments of weapons offered for purchase. The economy of the Hanseatic League skyrockets this year due to the lack of Kattegat tolls and the recovery of trade in the Baltic. Novgorod traders see an upcharge in the prices of German wares they had lost out on due to their actions during the war. Though trade resumes, Novgorod's access to German wares is cornered.
- French Diplomacy: Savvy merchants in the North Sea are the first to hear of the League's offer, and relate it to the French diplomats in Lotharingia. So the diplomats meet with those of the Hansa, and France is the first nation to claim it.
- Englis Diplomacy: We agree.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: The continuation of the Hungarian-Romanian war in the armory, an arrow cannon was built by the army a minority indicates that the migrant identifications are of Hungarian or German origin (from Germany) in short the Bucharest Bible has been finished now it's open in public when Vladislav I met one of his dukes from Transylvania says that the kingdom of Hungary is part of the House of Anjou and that our region is semi-Hungarian means that the northern part is administered not by us in theory the problem that tells it is one of the dukes comes from Hungary but Vladislav doesn't care he likes to have dukes, but the duke was okay for that an aggressive action, that the Hungarian launches a campaign in the north of the Transylvanian border in a separatist side. A German nobleman from Transylvania, proposed German mercenaries for their support against the Hungarians led by Stephen of Croatia and Hungary the armory begins to build weapons for the German mercenaries in support prespective a crossbow has now been built and ready to use the German army weapon from Transylvania by the dukes one day of the one a very dark day tells that the newborn is haunted the bishop orders to send back an abbesses for this mission for now the army is ready to fight for their death and their life at the conquest's Hungarians. Wallachia, establishing the Duchy of Transylvania authority by the Hungarian Duke's chiefs the duchy has made a Hungarian-Romanian pact for this idea as a duke from Transylvania, he married one of the women of the royal family of Lorraine for a territorial placement of organizations between their support in the side army of Wallachia. The mercenaries of the dukes of Transylvania destroy one of the Hungarian castle by assault so as, this campaign after the siege the Slovaks are in the middle of a crisis in Hungarian control. Wallachia annexes the south of Moravia in conquest the ruler of Moravia allied with Wallachia at this main support in purpose at the greatest's rule of Vladislav I.
- Iceland: Ísland Þúsund Ár! Iceland Celebrates its Half Century as an independent nation and a two-week festival is held honoring all early members of Altingi. The Population reaches 33,500 and 500 of them along with 50 each turn from Scotland are sent to settle Araborg in Araland. As the Duke of Greenland writes about his adventure one Island becomes memorable, he claims it Arnarsey (Resolution Island) of Arnarland as he takes 150 to try to settle his claimed Island. (Mod Response Needed). The Order of Nordic Piety is given as an honorary title to Pope Nicholas V. Four boats are added to the Confederate Navy.
- Icelandic settlement of 18 men is set up in OTL Resolute Island
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The force under General Nasir Zaman moves to fight the remaining Kakatiya forces near the town of Tirupati (ALGO, PLEASE). The iqta of Arakan has passed down to Feroze Khan’s son, Nadir Shah Khilji who starts work on developing his capital of Tis Hazari and is a great patron of the the arts and commissions the construction of the Jami Mosque (Friday Mosque) in Tis Hazari. The Sultanate over the years has also established a number of mosques and Khanqahs across the nation built in a unique Indo-Islamic style and the Waqf boards have also established a series of Bimaristans (Hospitals) across the Sultanate. Formal trade is established with Majapahit.
- Kingdom of France: The walls of Bordeaux were being pounded to their limit and Gilbane Belaud was nearly overwhelmed by the Hispanic host. Fire blew over the city. Suddenly, the bleak clouds parted, pouring angelic light upon Belaud and his men. They were given the strength to fight on. An hour later, the thunder of siege engines was drowned out by the thunder of 40,000 men: King Louis had arrived to save the city. The two armies clashed on the field. The fighting raged into the night. It is said that for every Frenchman killed, two Spaniards were slain. When morning broke, many thousand bodies lay strewn about the muddy fields around Bordeaux. And 6,000 of them were French, who died as heroes. But great majority were Spanish, who died for a shameful war. And many others - knights and noblemen - were captured and held for ransom. After the battle, Louis oversees the burying of the dead and the beginnings of Bordeaux's reconstruction. He camps in Aquitaine for a time, raising 500 men and bringing the army to full strength. Even though the generals had advised Louis to pursue the Spanish to the Pyrenees, the king allows them to return to Spain unmolested, a testament to his merciful nature in sight of the Lord. Jean of Narbonne, now recovered from his bout of illness, is sent as the king's representative to make peace with the Spanish in the Treaty of Pamplona. Louis goes to Clermont, leaving 12,000 men in Aquitaine under the command of Gilbane Belaud. At Clermont, Louis meets with his generals and advisors, and rallies all the men together. He also recalls the 8,000 in the southeast who were besieging Montpellier; they promptly break off and join the king. Altogether there are 45,000 troops gathered here. From Clermont, Louis leads his army into the verdant hills of Burgundy, a region that has been in open revolt against the crown for a year. Everywhere the king goes, he finds the people in distress. There is tension and fear in the air, and mutual suspicion. King Louis takes personal command of 25,000 men and rides to Dijon, which is under siege by Duke Philip the Bold. He hopes to capture Philip alive, and in that way end his uprising. At the same time, General Enguerran is sent north with the remaining 20,000 to do battle with the English and Flemish on the fields of Picardy. Now that peace with Spain is secure, trade and shipping in the Mediterranean and Bay of Biscay are once more free of interference. The French economy begins a slow recovery, but the state coffers are still lacking. While fending off military incursions on every side, the king has had little time to deal with finances. He has thus far left that responsibility up to his treasurers, whose actions have left the government indebted to foreign bankers. After learning of this, Louis replaces his superintendent treasurers, and makes plans to overhaul the role and responsibilities of royal accountants as soon as he returns to Paris.
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council is pleased with the signing of the Treaty of Pamplona between France and Hispania. With the threat of Hispanian incursion into Europe gone for the time being, 2,000 of the 6,000 Swiss mercenaries remaining in France are withdrawn back to the Confederacy to lessen the economic pressure caused by sustaining the conflict. The remaining 4,000 Swiss mercenaries remain in France to aid King Louis X against the English forces. Domestically, the government works on recruiting more soldiers and mercenaries to compensate for losses in the war in France. The Central Council also funds the building of new farms, especially in the large Cantons of Bern and Montfort, in order to increase the food supply due to the pressure caused by supporting the deployed mercenaries. The rebuilding of Biel/Bienne following its destruction in 1372 continues, with some of the mercenaries returning from France also joining the construction effort. The Canton of Bern sends an envoy to the small County of Gruyère located southwest of the Canton of Bern and northwest of the Canton of Sion, suggesting Gruyère should join the Canton of Bern for the benefit of the larger economy and infrastructure of the Confederacy and defensive benefit against the conflicts in France. (Mod response) Louis of Anjou, King of Arles (~1310-1374) dies of natural causes and is succeeded by his son William of Anjou-Lenzburg (b. 1359), who becomes William V, King of Arles. As William V is the son of Ida von Lenzburg and grandson of Ulrich VI von Lenzburg, this coronation increases the ties between the Kingdom of Arles and the House of Lenzburg and affirms the political alliance between Arles and the Swiss Confederacy. As William V is only 15 years of age, his mother Ida von Lenzburg will also serve as his regent for several years. Ida affirms that the military of Arles will continue to aid King Louis X of France, though the urgency is lessened with the Treaty of Pamplona and the County of Savoy is expected to withdraw at least some of its troops. Later in the year Agnes von Lenzburg and Wenceslaus I, Duke of Saxe-Wittenberg have their first child, a son named Wenceslaus II (b. 1374). The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy focuses on fortifying the northeastern cities of Tettnang and Bregenz in the Canton of Montfort and Vaduz in the Canton of Sargans.
- Tian China: With the crushing of the Mongol forces and the establishment of a vast foothold within Inner Mongolia itself, we once again make an offer of leniency to any Mongolian leaders who rebel against the Yuan, reinforcing once again that we have no desire to wage a long occupation of Mongolia itsef but stating once more that we are fully capable of destroying them if they do not cooperate. (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). However, we spend this time continuing to set up supply lines and ensure our troops are fully ready for a renewed offensive early next year. Meanwhile, back in China itself, we receive an expedition from the Majahapit Empire, requesting the opening of trade links between the Middle Kingdom and themselves. Although this is rejected due to them refusing to kowtow to the emperor, some interested parties among the southern Chinese merchant community do notheless express intrest in this supposed kingdom. The interest in Tang-era literature and architecture also continues this year, with the construction of the great northern palace beginning in Beijing this year at the behest of Prince Shang. Although it will come to be regarded as a waste of money, it is nonetheless a beautiful piece of architecture which will be treasured for centuries to come once it is completed in 1386.
- Mod Response: They refuse.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di":سيدي إرميا الهلشتية' (sydy ermya alhlshtyh) dies at the age of 65 on the first of july 1374, Thus the first Sidi of the صحراء السيدينية (shra' alsydynyh) life has come to an end. Thus Grand Iman فيليبوس (Fīlībus) takes over the Sidinate in a Regency, until Michael can return. As due to distance this can take a while, the Iman sending a letter to ميخائيل (Mikhiel). In this letter he informs Michael and the Malian Emperor of the Death of the Man Know to history as Hendrickus Pisacus. Hendrick fischer leaving a great legacy, from a peasant in Brabant to Explorer to Ruler of his own country. The Hendrickus Family being from the Small town of Hilset, where they traded Brown coal to the Member of the Heyst charter when it was still in Heyst. After gaining enough wealth he began to look into the new invention of Blackpower, as Hendrickus wanted to perfect the recipe. In the search for the perfect recipe he traveled everywhere - from Brabant to Mali to Ethiopia and back. While traveling and seeing the marvels of Mali he converted to Islam, due to seeing Islamic greatness right infront of himself. Where after returning to Lotharingia he as forced to get away for his life as the Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire did not take kindly to the conversion. After all this he founded the new Saharawi thalassocratic state, which was founded on Pisacus own Mercantile Knowledge. While in Lotharingia, King Charles hears of the Peace between Spain and the Kingdom of France. Although the war against England has not ended, and the Rebelion of Burgondy against both the French king and the Emperor has not ended. So Emperor Charles requests that all States of the Rhine inside the empire Join the fight against the Burgondine rebels. (Mod Response). Königlich-Lotharingisches Heer of 13,000 and the 1,000 strong Königliche Garde Johanns des Siegreichen, are moved to the southern most point of the the Duchy of Moselle. This being done as to put presure on the Burgondine rebelion, in the hope it will fall without bloodshed. Another way the king tries to put presure on the rebelion is the use of the Königlich-Lotharingische Marine blocking any flemish trade coming from their habours. As this would end the prosperity in Flanders and Burgondy, this all while playing a force of 5,000 Lotharingian Heer on their border. Merchants and Pilgrims of Christ and the order of Nicholas of Bari growning once more in numbers, begins to have issue's with high density of population togheter with a bad Location. Their Location being bad due the wars that are ongoing in the Agean sea, which causes a loss of Revenue. The order needing this money as to allow them to support Pilgrimage to the Holy Land and other Holy sites. The Population of the Island being fairly high, with around 15,000 people in total 4,000 being locals 3,000 being merchants and other specialists and the other 8,000 being Direct members of the Order - there being a 200-man strong force of troops, of Mostly Swiss origin, although some Lotharingians, Frenchmen and Venetians. Lotharingian German still being the Language spoken by many of the Monks as it is the Lingua Franca of the Island, Adriaen Wever being a Lotharingian from Aalst. The headmaster asking both the French, Spanish and Byzantium if they could help to find a new and larger Homeland near the Levant (French Response) (Spanish Response) (Byzantine Response). The Island order being famous for having atracting a lot of Merchants and Admirals who are too poor to start their carreers. As the order is willing to fund them if they can prove their Loyalty to the Order and Christendom.
- All Rhine states within the Holy Roman Empire agrees to support the Emperor.
- Kingdom of Padania: Taking the nobles advice to a degree Cassono demands that Venice either surrender and submit to Padania and Cassono and sign the Treaty of Verona or face the full might of the army of Padania again. (Venice response needed). Cassono takes his forces from Verona and begins to march further toward Venice proper daring the Venetians and their tiny force to try to stop him. Should they decline Cassono will begin his assault on Venice. (Algo potentially needed.)
- Empire of Japan: The Empire of Japan marches inexoribly onto Nagasaki the last refuge of the Revolt. Backed up against the coast as a major port, the city is fully surrounded with 45,000 troops while 5,000 remain off the coast hoping to hit the city defenses from the port much like Kumamoto. on a hill near the city the Japanese artillery regiment is set up and the bombardment begins early in the morning. This marks the beginning of a grueling four-day battle for the city. Having a series of city walls and collapsed buildings to be used as defensive fortifications, the city looks to have three rings of defense from the outskirts having a series of palisades and breastworks the main wall bearing down on the field, and finally the toppled buildings used as walls or to create chokepoints. The 45,000 strong force hits the outer palisades on the first day used mostly as a delaying tactic to wear down the morale and manpower. This is only somewhat successful as the palisade and brestwork defenses are overrun clearly on the first day. However, the city walls hold. The Navy pushes its own agenda on the first day firing cannons at the port defenses and landing roughly one-half of its numbers under duress. As night falls the remainder of the troops are landed and so begins nearly two days of struggle independent of the main assault on the landward facing walls. As the port assault continues on, the Artillery has managed to clear a serious breach in the city walls in which the Imperial army floods. As Day Two closes the Imperial army has seized roughly one-third of the city with major pushes being made on the final arrayed defense. As Day Three rages on the army is forced to deal with traps set up by the Ninja clans aiding the rebellion which cause numerous casualties. As the battle continues on the exhausted forces deal with a break in at camp as nearly 300 ninjas attempt to blindside the army camp forcing wounded, cooks, and even administrators attempts to record the battle into the fray. It leads to the death of the Kampaku who is buried in a lengthy ceremony that morning before the final assault. The Emperor having survived the campsite assault appoints Yuuto Shiba of the Shiba clan to become the new Kampaku citing his actions at the battle of Kumamoto as the primary reason for this. The final storming of Nagasakis makeshift Keep is conducted throughout the day and after nearly 13 hours of fighting, the Imperial army completely wipes out the last vestiges of this revolt capturing only 3,000 of the rebellion including the ringleaders of the Kuroda clan. With their defeat bringing shame upon the name of Japan, and their own clans the 3,000 revolters are given a final chance to repent and swear fealty and regain their honor, and rejoin the fold or commit Seppuku hence restoring their honor in death. roughly 2,500 captives agree to take the deal and are escorted out of the city disarmed and under imperial guard. The 500 remaining are the hardliners, direct members of the core clans including the Kuroda who revolted. They take their swords and commit seppuku and their bodies are taken outside the city. The bodies of every warrior, rebel or Imperial are painstakingly buried in a ritual ceremony honoring their valor in the death of battle and the gravesite is turned into a shrine to the Divine god of war, Hachiman. With the mainstream revolt defeated the Imperial army specifically of the standing forces of the emperor are tasked with fully restoring order to the island of Kyushu with the affected cities in which major combat taking plave being heavily guarded. Only a scant few prisoners are taken back to Kyoto as well as the Swords and standards of the fallen clans of Kyushu. These prisoners are noted to be of the Ninja clans who are given a guarded, but private meeting with the Emperor and four noble houses. They are the survivors of the great ninja clans who are given a deal. Serve the Emperor as part of a new Imperial Kenpeitai (effectively secret police) or be killed. The end of the Rebellion brings many men home. However, the effect on the Imperial levies is drastic. Nearly 34,000 of Japans warriors have been killed or wounded beyond further service as they return home. The Imperial army is returned to a smaller force of 20,000 troops relieving the 4,000 troops remaining from the initial force allowing the to go home and re-enlist in a few years. The end of the rebellion also has effectively brought Kyushu back onto the map for Japan as trade in a smaller form begins to return to normal on the island and the Imperial army begins rebuilding the affected areas of the island. Further rogue samurai, and Ninja remain an issue, however, they are targeted and the beginning of the anti-banditry campaign begins to restore full order to the Island Province. The Economy begins to expand again albeit once again on a lighter scale as the Rebellion ends. Emperor Yoshishege now returns to his studies on Heian and Tang era materials hoping to resume the possible restoration of Heian period culture and art into Japanese society.
- Kingdom of Scotland: We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II continues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. With England's recent humiliating defeats against France as well as Hispania pulling out of the war, as the war starts to increasingly seem a completely lost cause, leaving the exhausted English to face the French onslaught on their own, we do everything in our power to incite rebellions to every corner of England, among the heavily taxed and starving peasants, to the now impoverished merchants, as well as the much English nobility, completely drained of resources and dissillutioned from the complete collapse of English efforts to secure the French throne. We distribute pamphlets as far as we can all across England, blaiming Edward IV's incompetence as the reason England lost the war, calling nobles and commoners alike to open revolt, promising that the Celtic Confederacy shall answer their call with their full might behind the side of the righteous and help them get rid of their tyrannical King whenever called upon. A fairer system under lower crown authority, a strengthened chapter of liberties is promised. [Mod Response]
- Mod Response: They agree to open a secret dialogue but will refuse any conditions that give up territory or even possibly the throne to a foreign power.
- 'Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We accept all of their conditions and urge them to rise up. '[Mod Response]
- Republic of Venice: The Doge and also the people are in shock when Verona falls. The army retreats behind the Po River, most bridges in the north are burned and the arsenal in Ravenna is transported to Venice, everything that could not be transported is dumped into the sea. The lands that the Venetian forces retreat from are undergoing the same scorched earth tactics of seized grain and livestock, salting the earth and burning the fields that are left behind. The oligarch families of Venice begin to take personal advantage of the chaos in the government that emerges now, the Tiepolo, Dandolo, della Scala and many other families partition the national bank and treasuries for themselves and quickly acquire estates in neutral Aquilea or their personal possessions in Dalmatia, where the treasuries are transferred to. In these times of near anarchy not only in the Venetian countryside, one of the most precious treasuries namely the Quadriga Marciana (the golden horses of St. Mark) is lost. Many members of the high ranking families go into exile with the national treasuries and gold reserves, while the countryside is plagued by open revolt against the invaders, that have caused the entire mess in their eyes, that have driven the Venetian leaders into the tactics of scorched earth and that have nothing in mind but destruction and bloodlust. Demagogues begin to preach violence on village squares and on the streets of the urban areas, the Padanian forces shall be met with utter violence, they are the antichrist in their eyes (interesting side note: according to some chroniclers even many Jews joined into the witch hunts, in fear of falling victim to the anger of the population). A new radical governmental form becomes fashionable among the lower nobility and the guilds: a radical form of humanism, that not only concerns the societal duties that a peaceful and virtuous leader or person has, but that a state has to be modeled around these ideas in order to defend them. These “Petrarchians” or “Ochlocrats” (from Greek “Ochlokratia” for Mob rule) as they begin to call themselves call for a radical change in the leadership and system of the Republic. The citizens shall vote for the Doge themselves, the ministers shall be kept in check by a council of elected citizens (read: guild members, artisans, merchants and land-owning males) and a guild militia that is made up of men from all ranks and birth, that can arrest the political leaders in times of need until they are brought to a tribunal. After that, new elections can be brought up. This system would give more room for the interest of the the guilds, merchants and landlords and replace the old-fashioned de facto military dictatorship into which the Republic evolved since the late 1200s. The current Doge Agosto Tiepolo decides to send diplomats for a peace with Padania, trying to save the most serene of cities itself from any more suffering or damage. These diplomats are sent to Milan with the terms for peace in the Treaty of Verona (PADANIA RESPONSE, PLEASE). Theft and robbery become a common sight in the Emilian and Romagnan countryside, with farms being raided by hungry mobs and some Padanian officers are kidnapped and drowned in the Po River, or even ambushed by a guerrilla army led by a mysterious “Francesco the Brave”, a commoner who organizes uprisings and insurgencies, takes from the rich and gives to the poor and fights the occupiers with courage and utter brutality. However, it is disputed on whether he really exists or is just a symbol of a united angry peasantry to represent their anger, fear and hopes.
- Sweden-Norway: Bridget is mourned throughout the county, as the Archbishop of Uppsala Birger Gregersson starts writing a biography on her life. With the economy slowly rebounding from the war, Haakon orders the construction of 70 ships in the port of Bergen. Also this year, Haakon has a second son with Margaret, named Birger. Logging continues in Norrland and Varmland.
- Nyazwe: The southern armies of Nyazwe continue to move south after destroying the bulk of the Nguni forces in the land, removing their military as a threat to the reconquest of the south by the Shona. With the Nguni army removed from the board, the Shona throughout the south rebel against their old masters, and open their gates to the Nyazwe armies as the cross the land. Kuputsa, Mokopane, Akashinga, and Kunzwa are liberated by the three armies sent into the region, while Mbombela and Mbabane send Inkosi Hondo and his generals letters swearing their alligence to Nyazwe following news of their victory at Kuputsa. After convening a meeting with his generals, Hondo orders one of the armies to proceed south along the road to Mauya and Tsime, while the other two armies move east to capture the Nguni capital and liberate Utiziro in the southeast. In the north, the reconstruction efforts by the state are largely deemed complete by the government, after assessing the pre-war and post-war economic levels of the Eigth, Ninth, and Tenth districts where the civil war took place. While much work remains on the microeconomic scale, such as in small rural communities or in markets where merchants have yet to return, most economic levels have been stabilized in the wake of the conflict after nearly a decade. Malumba's city walls have been rebuilt, though many of the inhabitants have left for the far west, where they have built new lives for themselves. In the Kumadokero region, local state officials believe that more than a third of the Khoisan people have settled themselves in the rural communities of the Shona settlers, exchanging goods and services with the new residents in exchange for food, water, and shelter. Out in the east along the coast, trade with the Indians, Arabs, and Swahili is somewhat expanded, with new goods from the interior of Nyazwe being exported to foreign lands in a larger capacity, with the Minister of Means granting certain privileges to foreigners willing to share their knowledge of trades known to currently lay outside the capabilities of the Shona natives. Finally, the Shona explorer Kusvika arrives in the Arab city of Sana'a, struck by the unique layout of the city and its architecture, boasting many multi-level residential buildings totally unknown to Kusvika and his people. He likewise finds many of the mosques and public squares of Sana'a to be absolutely dazzling in their intricate construction, works of art unparalleled in southern Africa. Taking time to appreciate these marvels of architecture, Kusvika creates sketches of the buildings interior and exterior construction, as well as paying Arab officials to provide him with guides who can provide a detailed history of the city's growth and origins. Taking in the sights and sounds of the city, Kusvika expands his entourage as he looks to better ensure his preparations for further travels into foreign lands.
- Roman Empire: With the fall of Rhodes to the army under Andronikos it has become clear that the Empire can soundly defeat the Venetians in battle. With the island secured a garrison of 500 locals and another 500 of the youngest troops is left on the island while Andronikos ferries his remaining men and his siege equipment to Eubea. This is facilitated by the combined Roman-Trebizondi Fleet which have yet to engage the Venetian Navy in pitched battle. His landing force in Eubea now numbers 3,700, but is augmented by 2,300 marines from the combined naval force. Meanwhile, Roman and Trebizond forces, now numbering 2,450, continue to lay siege to Venetian defenses in Crimea. Trebuchets are built to bombard the city and a battery of eight cannons to shatter the Venetian walls. The military bureaucracy, under the guidance of Prince Manuel Palaiologos, centralizes the production of ships, cannons, and hand arms in a series of national arsenals. The principle one, located in Constantinople, is built with the intention of producing as many as ten war galleys simultaneously as well as the cannons and other arms that will equip them. Another arsenal for infantry and cavalry arms is formed in Nicea by bringing together several dozen smaller forges in Asia Minor. After learning of the Padanian efforts to make peace with Venice, Emperor John V sends a delegation along with his allies the Trebizondians to jointly find peace.
- Majapahit Empire: Efforts continue on the part of Majapahit Navy to construct a garrison on the island of Batam with reports indicating increased traffic through the garrison as ships dock there on their travels. The Majapahit Navy has for the most part stayed away from the Strait of Malacca with their efforts for the meantime being focused on the regions that are a part of the Empire with that primarily being dealing with emboldened pirates that had become more active during a period of inactivity for the Empire. Ships on the farthest reaches of trade routes for the Empire deliver concerning news of ships capable of rivalling the navy forcing the Raja to order intelligence assets to learn more of the origins of these vessels revealing their Japanese origins. An order for 60 Jongs and 40 smaller vessels across the Empire out of the uncertainty surrounding Japan's intentions. The first of the hand cannons have been distributed to the Bhayangkara and have managed to impress both generals and advisors who tell of the possibilities with such weapons to the Raja who orders for the construction of more. On the outer reaches of the Empire (Sulawesi), Majapahit forces continue pushing inward to colonize more territory making efforts to avoid the tribe that has settled on the edges of Sulawesi for the meantime. On the island of Timu and surrounding islands, Imperial troops take the rest of the island along with nearby islands as Majapahit expands on them increasing its territory with little to no opposition. Seeing the Pajajaran lands on Java continue independently from Majapahit, orders are given to the nobles and officers of the army to make the necessary preparations for an eventual offensive into their lands. Orders are also given for the navy/army to make landings on the unsettled lands of Sran with estimates placing two or three years on colonizing the territory. Administrators for the edges of the Empire begin to work on construction projects, specifically mines and irrigation netowrks designed to increase agricultural and mineral output of their territories so as to increase the resources available for future expansion. The royal order to establish communication ships have yielded some efforts. However, due to the increased need for ships to assist expansion and maintain supply lines, messenger ships remain low in number. Foundries across Majaphit continue to output more weapons from cetbangs and rentakas to outfit new ships of the navy and have available stock for replacements.
The Papal conclave is proven to be inconclusive, between the Cardinals Rinoldo Orsini (Papal States), Frederick Capet (Switzerland), Jan van Arkel (Lothraingia), and Ari Arason (Iceland). The Sede Vacante continues another year. Cardinals of San Marino and Romania vote for Orisini, while Poland and Hungary vote for Capet.
Both the Council of Ten and the nobles of Padania find the Treaty of Verona totally unacceptable. The depleted state of Padania cannot financially support annexing much more territory in Italy than some parts of Tuscany. Also, relinquishing the most prosperous colonies of Venice right when Padania is in most need of financial recovery is considered ludicrous (except Dalmatia which Hungary already took). Both the Roman Curia and the Prince Electors of Germany strongly oppose a treaty that places such a powerful hegemony across Northern Italy, which is seemingly bankrolled by foreign powers.
John Wycliffe becomes an influential writer and theologian in Oxford. He writes commentaries on the Old Testament and on Canon law particularly. He believes that ideological symbols or icons in the church (such as relics, apostolic seats, pilgrimages, iconography, eucharist, and even prayers) do not hold any spiritual significance in and of themselves, but are merely used to remind people of the true power that is in the heart and soul only. He does not make a point to publish these ideas, but only instructs him to his pupils colloquially called "the Poor Priests".
During winter, local Manchu tribes send raiding parties that strike against the settlements of Japan in their most northern outposts, destroying much of the non-military institutions there.
The Black Death breaks out across England, compelling Parliament to ask the King to consider making peace with France.
Duke John IV "The Conqueror" succeeds to take over the Duchy of Brittany and expell Charles of Blois. After the treaty imposed on them by France, England remains in control of Brittany, Ponthieu and Bayonne as vassals only.
Philip the Bold of Burgundy offers peace with France, and only seeks to ensure that the levies on vassal troops are not as demanding in the future.
The Danish parliament votes to crown Olaf Haakonson as the new King of Denmark, since he's the grandson of Valdemar.
Coluccio Salutati, the Padania-appointed Lord of Florence, becomes a well-known humanist writer who translates works of Virgil and Cicero into Italian.
Ru Taisu, Minister of Justice for the Tian Emperor, decides to try to impress the Emperor with his excellent knowledge of literature and calligraphy. So at the next official Memorial of the Throne, the minister hands the Emperor a document of 16,870 Chinese characters, which the Emperor is required to read aloud before his court.
The Chinese astrologer Liu Bowen is renowned as a great engineer and military strategist, and also claims to be able to foresee into the distant future.
John I of Portugal is actually succeeded by Peter II, his son, with his brother Denis acting as regent.
Xuanyue is still in Khanbaliq, which is also called Karakorum. The food is good, though.
All states of Southeast Asia trade with Majapahit.
- Kingdom of England: with the huge defeats we pull out all our troops of France and return to England and we sign the Treaty of Vincennes, as the men return we catch wind of anti-English pamphlets we start to crack down on any person with these and have great bonfires to burn them, to help we elect sheriffs and deputies in each region counties and city, we found out that it was the Celtic Confederacy which send a stern warning to them, we start to do our best to fight the black death, Darwin Sheffield arms is pumping our arms and armour and supplies to be sent to the battlefield, at the shop we get our best crossbow makers making the closest to the steel crossbow which has just came out we start using it in the army, Isle of Wight shipyards keeps to pump out warships and trade ships with new cannons being made in Salisbury, we raise the army slighting with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouse are coming together nicely will be done in the next ten years we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure, goods, in case of war a fortification strategy gets put in place to uild walls and seaforts and more around England, we start to try to make out money back by trading around Europe, we also start to beef up our Scottish border with protection,we ask Portugal for royal female to marry King Edward. (Portugal needed).
- Majapahit Empire: For Mods, trade agreements with Dai Viet, Ayutthaya, Lavo, Singapura, and Pegu (sorry for requesting so many). The Emperor reaches out to nearby powers to establish relations and trade as his navy expands ever outward into protecting the trade that has been neglected. A diplomatic party is sent to the Kingdom of Dai Viet which has recently begun to poke its head into trade, to request a trade deal and safe passage to Dai Viet ports (Mod Response). Contact with the Kingdom of Ayutthaya has also been established to request trade. (Mod Response). Another diplomatic group has been sent to the Kingdom of Lavo to request trade (Mod Response). A diplomatic party has also been sent to the Kingdom of Singapura to request trade and port access (Mod Response). A diplomatic envoy has also been dispatched to the Kingdom of Pegu to request trade (Mod Response). Another one has been sent to China to request trade (China Player Response). Lastly, a party has been dispatched to Japan to request trade (Japan Player Response). As colonization efforts continue on the boundaries of Majapahit, the Raja receives thankful news of the completion of the garrison and port on Batam which has already experienced and influx of ships from both merchants and patrolling vessels from Dai Viet and her allies. The production of new vessels have yielded ten Jongs and 14 smaller craft due to the split manpower of the shipyards in completing the order for more naval vessels. Preparations continue under the nobles and generals in as much secrecy as can be mustered to invade the neighboring Pajajaran Kingdom to bring it into the fold and consolidate Java under Majapahit rule. Expansion on Timur has been completed with the entire island along with the entirety of neighboring islands allowing for the forces dedicated to them to be concentrated elsewhere. The administrators on Java get to work by constructing defenses for the Kingdom with emplacements for cetbangs and rentakas, forts, and defenses focused on protecting the vital rice fields from any possible attacks they can conceive of. The irrigation networks continue to be reinforced and prepared for the brutality and destruction war might bring to them which would greatly impact the Empire. Efforts are made on the part of the Raja to make sure his son, Wikramawardhana, gets as much experience and respect as possible resulting in his son being given overarching command of the planned Majapahit expansion into Pajajaran. Efforts begin on the part of Hayam Wuruk to identify potential suitors for his daughter with his intent on it being one that will bring great prosperity and possibly unity to the Kingdom. The navy has continued to set aside vessels that fit the necessary requirements for messenger ships for administrative purposes allowing the government on Java to maintain closer contact with the colonies. With the agreement for trade with Majapahit accepted from all over Asia, orders are given to port cities to expand the docks for the expected increase in ships as trade starts to flow from the spice rich Malaku Islands. After careful deliberation and consideration on the part of Hatam Wuruk, it has been decided to create vassals out of the colonies of Borneo and Sulawesi. The colonies on Borneo are formed into the Kingdom of Ketapang and Sulawesi colonies into the Kingdom of Makassar with the protection of the chosen rulers for these Kingdoms falling to the Bhayangkara troops of Majapahit to ensure their safety with the chosen rulers obligated to come to the royal court to offer their fealty from them and their kin present or future.
- All trade agreements are accepted.
- Kingdom of France: In the Year of Our Lord, 1375, King Louis X concludes negotiations with the English at Vincennes and the Burgundians at Dijon. Now that France is at peace, all armies are disbanded, except for a small professional force. Louis is given a hero's welcome upon his return to Paris, along with generals Belaud and Enguerran, and the advisor Jean of Narbonne for negotiating the Pamplona treaty. According to his promise, Louis accedes to Philip the Bold's request, and passes a law which limits the amount of levies the king can raise to a more reasonable number. Most of the vassals are pleased by these developments, and internal tensions fizzle out, no doubt in part due to the recent shows of royal military strength in the field. In Paris, Louis follows through with his plans from the previous year, and essentially cleans house with his treasurers and accountants, purging incompetent and corrupt officials. He then reorganizes the auditors and creates the Court of Accounts at the Palais de la Cité in Paris (also the site of the royal residence, giving it some officiality). The court of King Louis responds positively to the arrival of the royal ambassador from the distant land of Mali, which, as the French understand it, is a place overflowing with gold. Simba, along with his diverse entourage, is treated to lavish feasts, tours of the Royal Palace and Library, and, at his request, the attention of the realm's foremost scholars, priests, warriors, artists, and other knowledgeable individuals. Stories are shared. The history of France, including its recent triumph from a great war, is related to the embassy, while much is learned of Simba, his homeland, his travels, and the prestige and power of his father, Mansa Mustafa, who went on many great campaigns. The Malian prince and his companions feature in a number of contemporary artworks, including one by noted painter Wilfrid Bellegarde.
- Mali Empire: The empire continues to enjoy a surplus of resources and finances from the Silk Road, as well as the tributaries of Nigeria. New forms of art and architecture are developed in the University of Timbuktu which are implemented in new Mosques created in the southern territories. The works of Petrarch are imported to the library this year, which are likewise translated into Tamashq. Of course, it would be over a generation before that humanist philosophy really took off in the empire, as opposed to the standing Islamic philosophy of the Yuni sect. At this time, the greatest literature being composed was prose style of poetry, immitating the styles of Rumi and Pre-Islamic poetry. Many historians and poets of Morocco are invited by Mustafa to come live in the court of Mali, and produce poetry in Timbuktu or Niani. Expeditions are sent farther north to assert direct control over Berber tribes in western Mauritania. Mansa Mustafa extends his most sincere condolences for the passing of Hendrickus Pisacus, who lived in great memory from the time of his father and grandfather. Before allowing Mikhail to take the office of his father, the Mansa insists that he should first accept a treaty of friendship and protection for the Sidinate with Mali. This treaty will allow the empire to defend the Sidinate from outside Berbers, and to encourage more settlements and trade in their nation as well. (MOD RESPONSE). The Bono War reaches a conclusion this year as a great loss for the empire, and threatens their centralization as a whole. After the successful Fatima Campaign last year, culminating with the Sack of Segu, Mustafa's position in the region became much harder to control. His armies vastly outnumbered that of Yahya at every front, but the sheer logistics and geography proved the traditional Manding tactics as ineffective. Immediately after the Fatima Campaign concluded, Dawud ibn Ayyob publicly declared his support for the Shams-Qamar union, and applied political pressure for Mustafa to make peace with them or else face revolt. Crown Prince Simba travels to France in order to gain training and knowledge from there. (FRANCE RESPONSE).
- Nyazwe: The three Nyazwe armies continue to liberate the cities south of the Limpopo River of their former Nguni masters, being welcomed back into the region by the Shona population throughout the countryside. A handful of Nguni bands are found and put up a measure of resistance, but are brushed aside as their forces are too small to directly challenge the returning Shona armies from the north. Those Nguni civilians who remain in their homes are forcibly resettled across the country, with many of the men who resist put to the sword, while the survivors and their women and children divided off into existing Shona families, shattering much of the Nguni culture and language. The city of Oyengweni is besieged by two Shona armies in the southeast, who set fire to the wood palisades of the town to create an opening in the defensive perimeter, and use their superior numbers to break into the city itself. Having been blockaded by the Zvikepe for the last couple of years, the majority of the inhabitants are starving and weakened from the years of war in their homeland. Having outgrown the capacity of their surrounding farmlands to support thanks to the migration and trade with foreign lands, Oyengweni has suffered greatly during the blockade. Most of the men left to fight against Nyazwe at Kuputsa, and were slain to a man in the ensuring defeat, leaving only a token garrison to assist with patrols and supporting the population in the fields during the harvest season when possible. When faced with a massacre at the hands of the vengeful Shona warriors, the bulk of the inhabitants escape and flee into the bush, where many are either swiftly cut down by the cavalry forces of Nyazwe waiting for them, or captured and have their families broken up and spread across the land to destroy their society. When Ishe Itai arrives in the cities of Mauya and Tsime in the far south, the reconquest of the southern districts is deemed largely complete, with the Nguni destroyed as a fighting force, and the land reclaimed by the Shona. Reconstruction plans are laid out by the state for the extensive rebuilding of the infrastructure the Nguni allowed to fall into disrepair, as well as the mines which the Nguni failed to utilize properly during their period of dominion over the land. The majority of the cities barring Kuputsa and Oyengweni are found to be largely intact and lacking any need of repair by the returning Nyazwe authorities. However, the state officials are now tasked with re-establishing the government's services and centers of power in the land after being expelled by the Nguni. New governors are appointed in the south, the frontiers are re-established, clerks are found and settled in the land, and several years of reintegration of the south begins. In the far south beyond the Orange River, the Madozanyemba region is refounded as a center of migration for the Shona as was the case prior to the civil war and reconquest of the south, though this is more or less a mere administration act for future expansion by the state. Unlike the success witnessed with the settlement of the Kumodokero region in the lands of the west, Madozanyemba remains uninhabited and of little interest of the Shona citizens who are currently more concerned with the rebuilding of their lands south of the Limpopo River. In the lands of Arabia, Kusvika departs from Sana'a for the twin holy cities of Mecca and Medina, where he hopes to catch a glimpse of the great centers of Islam he has heard so much of during his five years of travel in East Africa and southern Arabia. However, upon reaching the city of Mecca, Kusvika finds that he is prohibited from entering into the city as he is a non-Muslim, nor a member of the "People of the Book", a reference to the two other Abrahamic religions of Christianity and Judaism recognized by Islam as predecessor religions. While members of Kusvika's entourage attempt to assist him in getting into the city, trying to convince the city guards that he is a simple traveler looking to learn from the Arab people and their culture, Kusvika's lack of faith in the Islamic teachings is held as grounds for keeping him outside of Mecca. Some of the men try to convince Kusvika to convert to Islam, but Kusvika refuses. Instead, Kusvika departs from Mecca and bypasses Medina, heading directly for the Holy Land itself to rest in the ancient city of Jerusalem, where he intends to plan out the rest of his journey and get out of the restrictive Islamic world.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: Personalized Vladislav has good relations with other nations like serbs in charge of the economy at the principality's respective. Anyway, Moldova asks for help to be liberated free from Poland's control. Who ever it takes months to release with improvements in Wallachian tactics passion among the Dukes of Transylvania they annex a province with Hungarian borders in a region called '' Partium '' at the north of Transylvania views that Hungary is one of the Habsburgs the Dukes of Transylvania proclaims to take the partium of the north of the border with the relations between Hungarian rather than Wallachia is a target of the Habsburgs as king orthodoxy an armor tactic was well-made by one percent in a very developed way helped by the serbs Vladislav, would like to meet a friendly conversation with the Duke of Austria from Albert II of Austria of this proclamation one morning Albert III got a letter by Vladislav a horse held by Habsburgs soldier just crossed from Transylvania accros in the Danube Delta Albert III greeting Vladislav at his developments and support of partium economy to the regardless monarchist's Romania (Wallachia) in the court of the royal palace of Bassarab, Vladislav speaks with Albert III about this subject Albert III gives an alliance with him for the war campain against conflicts with supporters the House of Habsburgs train Vladislav with tactis and development to succesing the future of Wallachia of what will happen one of the Austrian merchant, will give one of the German type cavalry of Austria for the campaigne developed by the Germans Albert III assures, that Vladislav does well to be treated by the people for the good during the campaign of this moment the Romanian Carpathian was released and the Hungarian ones surrendering the principality continues to enjoy his life and the relationship between the imperialist house with the Germans Carpathia's Romania is now released until day the Bishop of Wallachia give some literature copies of the Bucharest Bible and give copies to other nation powership Vladislav declares that one day Moldova will may be free.
- Tian China: With the Occupation of much of Inner Mongolia, all of Outer Mongolia, and much of Manchuria, and the crushing of Mongol armies in every confrontation so far, we finally decide it is time to make peace, beginning the Treaty of Karakorum in order to do so, in the hopes of ending the war. Meanwhile, in other news, back in Luoyang, the Emperor, despite his increasing old age, gladly takes to the challenge presented to him by his Minister of Justice (a good friend of his due to the emperors previously mentioned great efforts at making reforms in the laws of the empire), and just barely manages to read through everything presented to him at the memorial of the throne, despite the large amount of effort it takes a man as old as him to do so. Unfortunately, the strain causes him to collapse shortly afterwords when he is out of sight of the court, (with many latter historians believing this to be the first of several heart attacks that would ultimately lead to his death), and although he recovers from it within a few months, it makes him fully aware of his own mortality and how close he now is to death for the first time in many decades, a fact that makes him finally begin considering the future and legacy that will be left after him once he dies, with him increasingly worried about the future that will follow immediately after his death. He increasingly consults with his court astronomer, Liu Bowen, who many, including the Emperor, believe to be capable of seeing glimpses of what the near future will look like, although this ability is believed to be realatively limited. Although most of the predictions that the emperor is given by his friend are relatively promising and promise a great, bright future for his dynasty in the coming years, severa predictions that are made by him are incredibly concerning and increasingly begin to make the emperor worry about the future. Specifically, the astronomers warnings of a potential succession crisis in the near future make the emperor worried about the potential of his sons to fight between each other, particularly Xuanye and Shang, who have always had a major rivalry with each other even if the emperor has always clearly favored Shang to succeed him. Thus, as a result of this, the emperor decides to bring his son back from his post in the empires frontier as the Governor of Hebei and bring him back under his direct supervision in Luoyang, in order to prepare him for his future role as the Emperor of China and make it clear that this son is the one whom he desires to succeed him. However, he believes that directly taking away his sons office as the governor of Hebei only a few years after appointing him in the first place will be viewed as a sign of massive disfavor by the court which would undermine his efforts to make it clear that the Prince is his favored successor to the office of the emperor, and thus he is left officially in charge of the province even while he is brought back to the capital city of the celestial empire, several provinces away. This doesn't cause too many issues for the region, because as previously mentioned Shang hardly did any governing himself and mostly left it to a council of advisory nobles which was quickly taken over by his wife Miyuki, but the departure of Shang also leads to the departure of his wife, who was the principle person running the province. However, Princess Miyuki is very reluctant to give up her power over the region, and will over the coming years come to spend much of her time in the province and spending most of her time there, acting de facto as its governor even while her husband wastes his time whoring and playing around in the capital, which his father is willfully blind to due to personally liking Shang. In the meantime, increased trading links are also established throughout La Xang and Vietnam, as the new position of our tributary Vietnam in establishing control over Cambodia leads to increasing amounts of trade flowing up to us through the region, and this also leads to a general rise of trade with them, alongside the population boom and increasingly prosperous economy inside of China itself. This also leads us to increasingly begin establishing more and more formal links through trade with the Kingdom of Ayutthaya, which while previously our enemy in a war to defend our now vassalized tributary of La Xang just a few years before, is now increasingly becoming one of our most major and powerful trading partners in the entire region and we are beginning the establishment of great mercantile and prosperous cultural links with them. As a results, we offer to officially set aside the previously growing state of enmity between our two glorious states and open official trading and political alliances between our two states, in exchange for the recognition of the Tian Emperors Supremacy as all trading partners of China must customarily do. We also make sure to apologize for our previous war against them, and explain that if it wasn’t for La Xang’s status as a tributary of the Chinese Empire we would have been perfectly happy to support them or stay neutral, and that as a tributary they would revive all of the same benifits that La Xang does and more due to their increased status and greater amounts of power. (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). In the meantime, trading links with the Japanese and Koreans also increase, in addition to larger amounts of expeditions and independent trading missions to the Lieusung Island kingdoms, and the intrest in Tang and Song era literature and political science, as well as cultural and artistic varieties of their influence, continue to increase as more and more interest is shown by the nobility and emperor in the study of these eras and the recovery of their lost ancient knowledge. We also send an official letter of congratulations to the Japanese Kingdom on their successfull crushing of their peasant rebellion in their southern territory, and their successful proving of heavens favoring them over any other on their islands, and expresses joy at the increasing amounts of interest in the ancient Tang and Heinan eras of history and the increasing cultural links between the two mighty realms. In order to celebrate this, he offers an increased amount of tradings links between the Japanese and Chinese realms, and the official recognition of Japanese trading rights in regards toLuzon alongside Chinese expeditions to those regions which are also occurring, and suggests the opening of an official trading commission between our two realms to increase cooperation in regards to naval patrols and trading missions in the region (JAPANESE RESPONSE NEEDED).
- Ayutthaya agrees.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and cultural exchanges continue to finally slow down, although with the various market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy of the region. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into a more organic ethnicity. The first major Zapotek victory comes this year, as Tonauac and his protege's Tonalcotzin and Toltenoch retreat against the might of the ascended Zapotek warrior-general Ocuil. However, their victory becomes shortlived, as Uakusï Tonauac briefly conversates with Auicamine about their loss. She seduces him, much like she had done with Nalhen, going to the Zapotek army's camp late at night and killing Ocuil. With this, a major victory is secured after the Tarascan forces are able to capture Guichicovi. Cazonci Nalhen, hearing about the successful campaign against the heresy that is the southern states, throws a large party to celebrate himself as the best Cazonci, the most powerful and competent representation of the holy Pantheon, and the true successor to Tariacuri. It is estimated during this period that musical instruments began to appear across Tarasca as some returning warriors bring back cultural artifacts of Zapotek and its culture. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh continues to raise her and the deceased priest Tepeu's children, Iuihua and Chen. The period of the Text of Tlēolaltik ends this year, marking a blank period between Tlēolaltik and the later text of Ihuil'chel.
- Swiss Confederacy: With the Treaty of Vincennes concluding hostilities between France and England, the 4,000 Swiss mercenaries remaining in France also return to the Confederacy. At this point, no Swiss mercenaries or soldiers are deployed externally, so the Central Council decides to work on replenishing the military, including sending some of the mercenaries to work on the rebuilding of Biel/Bienne. However, about half of the military remains on standby in case hostilities flare up again in the next few years, and the joint military of the Swiss Confederacy also works on fortifying two major centres in the central northeast of the nation: the Abbey of Saint Gall in the Canton of St. Gallen and Rapperswil Castle in the Canton of Toggenburg, which was previously used as a base of operations in the Werdenberg campaign. The government also works on increasing the production of lumber for trade, weapons and boats by recruiting peasants to be lumberjacks. The new Canton of Solothurn is given a seat on the Central Council, expanding its size to 25 members. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg's niece, Ida von Lenzburg, still acting as regent of Arles for her son King William V, approaches Engelbert III, Count of the Mark, and suggests a marriage between Engelbert (b. 1333), who is a widower after the death of his previous wife in 1360 and still doesn't have an heir, and Ida's daughter Michelle of Anjou-Lenzburg (b. 1357). (Mod response) Meanwhile, another tragedy strikes the Kingdom of Arles as, just a year after the death of King Louis his second son, William V's younger brother John of Anjou-Lenzburg (1362-1375) dies after a fall from a horse. Another death occurs when, after voting in the extended papal conclave in Rome, Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli is murdered by defenestration. The identity of his assassin(s) is unclear, but the secular governments of the Cantons of Sion and Basel-City believe them to be linked to the deposed Bishop of Basel Jean III de Vienne, who Tavelli had publicly condemned and contributed to the downfall. Three Basel town guards suspected of involvement in the conspiracy are arrested and executed by the secular city government of Basel. Meanwhile, Tavelli is succeeded as Bishop of Sion by Édouard of Savoy, a distant relative of the House of Savoy ruling said County.
- County of Mark agrees.
- Roman Empire: Following the great victory over Venice in the previous year Co-Basileae John V and Andronikos IV hold a triumph in Constantinople. Although negotiations continue both are confident in Roman economic and territorial gains. Rhodes is integrated into the Theme system and quickly made a full province. In Crimea a territorial government is established to rule the region. Current plans call for the region to be a semi-autonomous province under the rule of a regional governor who reports directly to the Basileae. These expansions of the government allow for a trimming of fat. Rather than hire new bureaucrats, John and Andronikos agree to spread the current administrators over the new provinces, reducing the bureaucratic burden on the Empire. This reinforces the reforms of 1371 which are now fully taking force in peace-time. In celebration of his victories, Basileus John V begins construction of a grant univeristy to educate a new generation of Administrators and Strategoi. The school will teach natural science, mathematics, philosphy, ancient literature, and military studies. Both Zeno Akropolites and Georgius Stauricius are brought in to assist the school of military studies and draw upon their military experience and the military treatises of the past to craft an excellent curricullum for students. The economy rebounds with the coming of peace. New trading opportunities in formerly Venetian lands allow the merchant class a great deal of new wealth. New sources of wealth then contribute to an uptick in manufacturing in Constantinople and other coastal centers of production. These developments are increased by the simplified taxation system and the adoption of the arsenal system. The Grand Arsenal of Constantinople begins to take shape with large berths for ship construction and repair. The adjacent cannon-foundry also becomes clearly developed with several large forges and casting yards. Meanwhile, in Nicea, the arsenal there develops standardized equipment for the Roman Army, including a cavalry helmet with added cheek and neck protection based on those used by the legions in the days of old Rome. Modern crossbows captured in the siege of Rhodes are adopted alongside the traditional reflex bow of the Empire. The slower rate of fire associated with the new weapons limits their use compared to the older reflex bows of the horse archers. However, the katafraktoi and koursorses are quick to adopt the weapons for use in pre-charge volleys. With peace and prosperity apparent the marriage between Manuel and Eudokia is conducted in Constantinople. The festivities are grand and Alexios and John sit together as proud fathers, celebrating the marriage of their children and their victories in war.
- Kingdom of Portugal: With King Peter-Ferdinando I being underage, his aunt Princess Beatrice is appointed regent until 1382 when he will be of legal age. Meanwhile, the late King John is laid to rest next to his father Peter I in the royal cathedral. Queen Regent Beatrice travels to the Portuguese exclave of Gordes and holds a speech there.In addition to this queen regent Beatrice increases the funding to the navy and the army. To prevent any attack on the village of Gordes, a wall begins construction around it complete with watch towers and a gate. Modern crossbows begins to be introduced to the army.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": A tradition that continues in Lotharingia is the Niejhar sang, this being a tradition that happens every 31st of December. This being an event where small children go up to the houses of their neighbourgs and sing songs asking for a small treat in return. The kids singing about the new year and wishing that God will bless the neighbourg's souls, this all being part of the Ideals of Generosity. This concept even being taken with the people in the صحراء السيدينية (shra' alsydynyh), as many of the Europeans who setled on the كامبنة (Kambina) still hold true to this Ttradition. In the Sidinate ميخائيل (Mikhiel) heir to the Sidinate becomes شيدي ميخائيل الهلشتية (shydy mykha'eyl alhlshtyh), Thus taking command from Grand Iman فيليبوس (Fīlībus). Michael first words as Sidi being "الله أكبر" This being the Takbir, a Sign of the Islamic base of the thalassocratic state. Michael wanting to modernise and get closer to the Empire with Mali, while maintaining the culture of the Europeans in عاصمة الساحلة ('asama alsaahla) and the rest of the كامبنة (Kambina) peninsula. The Sidi even looking into making a new and formal treaty with the Mali empire, as better cooperation would be beneficial to both nations. In the Nation of Pisacus's birth the Emperor of Romans invites the Malian heir Crown prince Simba to visit the Sacred Roman empire (Malian Response). The Königlich-Lotharingisches Heer moves back to the core Provinces such as Brabant Namur and Holland, after some misunderstandings were Corrected. Thus the Königlich-Lotharingische Marine ends the Blockade of Flanders, and enters a State once more of Vlootleen. While in Rome Voting happens for a new pope, Emperor Charles openly supports Cardinal John of Arkel. As John of Arkel is a Bishop of Liege, and a representative of the Church to Lotharingia.
- Iceland: As the population reaches 33,000 100 are moved to Resolution Island and 50 to Jan Mayen. The Ideas of John Wycliffe become more influential in Iceland with the Cardinals dabbling in them. The Confederate Navy is expanded by two ships and the Icelandic Prime Minister requests a meeting with the King of Scotland to improve relations. Prince Ólaf dies of pneumonia and a crisis happens with the Royal succession with no male heir and though the idea of a New Republic was put the Royal House of Sturlungar was just too popular so a special act in the constitution is added that in the event of no male heir is available up to 4th cousins then a daughter or sister shall inherit the Icelandic Throne. A Son of the Holy Roman Emperor is asked to marry Princess Guðríði in the name of her dynasty(Lotharingian response needed). An expedition from Arnarsey is sent with 200 people to try to go more south along with that Edgell Island is claimed as a part of Arnarsey. (Mod Response Needed). We ask the Scottish government to sell us the Hebrides islands for 6,000 Krónur and 40 kg of blubber the offer is adjustable. (Mod Response Needed).
- Scotland refuses.
- Mamluk Sultanate: A letter is penned to the Caliph in Baghdad. (More to come).
- Sultanate of Hindustan: General Nasir Zaman’s forces are reinforced (numbering seven tumen) and link up with the Belur Sultanate’s forces and move to attack the city of Thanjavur. The lands of the Kakatiyas are annexed and a Governor is appointed, some lands are also annexed by the Belur Sultanate. The Sultan commissions the construction of a grand mosque in Delhi. A road network is constructed from Belur to Sultanpur. The Golconda Fort is renovated and becomes the fourth fortress of the Deccan in line with the Sultanate’s policy of controlling the Deccan using these fortresses. A road is being constructed from Golconda to Gulbarga.
- Kingdom of Eiru: With the end of the war trade resumes across much of Western Europe benefiting the economy. Long bowmen continue to be trained while central authority remains weak as individual lesser Kings frequently fight on a small scale. West Breifne and East Briefne led by the O'Rourkes and O'Reilleys are some of the worst offenders for fighting between Kingdoms.
- Empire of Japan: With the end of the Kuroda rebellion in Kyushu and the collapse of organized resistance from the Ninja clans, Japan finally becomes quiet once again. The tackling of banditry and outlaws in Kyushu is now launched specifically to quiet Kyushu again with the 10,000 strong imperial garrison launching clearcut operations into the hills and mountains wiping out a few bandit camps and forts. The resumption of trade picks up once again as the main highways are thoroughly defended by the Imperial forces. The Koga clan of Ninja officially conmcedes to the Emperor and agrees to convince further of the remaining ninja clans to join the emperor or face the same fate as their brethren to the south. With the most powerful clans having been crushed in the Kuroda revolt, their clear lack of strength and possible job within the imperial government turns into a very lucrative option not wishing to get unceremoniously crushed by the imperial army as well as possibly having some issues regarding retaliation for the targeting of Imperial officers during the rebellion. This sees the Koga and Iga clans take up prominent positions in the Kenpeitai with their tasks being regulated toward secretive operations and the replenishment of their numbers following the drastic decrease in manpower. The defeat in Kyushu sees thousands, however, who were overrun from their lands or close elements of the rebellion flee to various less watched or settled areas of Japan. Alongside refugees and the usual settlers Sakhalin and Hokkaido see a boost in immigration from the far southern regions of Japan. Hokkaido's new northern cities develop well as a structured system of expanding the cities are taken and many are encouraged to claim lands and establish farms outside the cities. The growth on Sakhalin continues greatly as far northern reaches of the island are finally brought into the fold taking advantage of a famine from the the natives who were unable to make it through the winter on their current food. Many are bought out simply with promises of food and a warm place to stay while the more hardliners take a bit more negotiation as their current ancestral lands are guarenteed allowing them to stay and become producing members of the empire. The assault on the northern settlement in Manchuria angers the Governor of Aimoi, effectively governor of the whole frontier region and he puts in to the Emperor for a regiment to deal with the raids. 2,000 men from the Imperial army situated in Kyoto arrive later in the year to help deal with the raids either paying off or dealing with the raiding parties in force. The nigh abandoned settlement of Amuraji is reclaimed and its inhabitants are found either scattered or killed. The city sees a 500-strong garrison force take control and reorganize the town into a frontier fort. The town has a thick wooden palisade built by the garrison forces, and many old burned out buildings are ripped down and replaced by a fort in which the towns inhabitants can take shelter in. Plans to bring more additions to the fort are planned for a few years out now as the leader of the garrison force makes it imperative that this shipping point upriver from Aimoi must remain active and thriving. The city of Aimoi has now grown outside its traditional borders with a population now of nearly 10,000 with many having gone there in the few years during the revolt to take advantage of its closeness in trade to Korea and many other growing opportunities there. The small fort of Ternaka named from the Toneji clan having taken up residence (otl Terney) there continues its establishment as the young Daimyo has made it a point to settle and develop his own possible family lands on the potential profitable coastal region. The increase in openess in trade in Indonesian waters prompts the Japanese navy to commission a small 20-ship patrol force to operative continuously in the region during the high trade months of the year. Consisting of five of their heavy Great Atakebune and 15 of the medium versions it stands to be a force not to be messed with outside of a war.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Emperor continues his drive toward Mogadishu, defeating numerous Somali peasant bands and securing the north of Ajuran. The Imperial Army pushes south toward Mogadishu, where it captures the outer city itself but fails to breach the keep. A siege is established around the city, with the Imperial Army, now numbering some 22,000 men, establishing control over access to the city. The Ethiopian fleet also blockades Mogadishu, while the trade fleet continues running supplies to the army. The siege equipment brought by the army is set up, with trebuchets and mangonels daily bombarding the keep [ALGO NEEDED]. In Europe, the delegation moves from Valencia to Madrid, where it presents itself to the Spanish Court. The Ethiopian delegation presents Emperor Frances with numerous gifts, including spices, perfumes, ivory, gold, and a copy of the Kebra Nagast. The delegation expresses Ethiopia’s intention to establish friendly relations with Spain [SPANISH RESPONSE NEEDED].
- Poland-Lithuania: Reforms and infrastructure projects continue. Prince Wladyslaw and his wife have their first child - a boy named Viltautas. Stanislaw I orders Prince Wladyslaw to carry out the subjugation campaign of the Samotigians. He leads 4,000 of thw Polish and Lithuanian cavalry attacking sweeping through the Samotigian lands aiming and sacking the villages and bringing the tribal alliance to its knees to submit to the Lithuanian crown.
- Dai Viet: After his successful operation in the former Khmer Empire and his success pacifying the region, the general Kiều Sơn Hà is promoted by Emperor Chinh to the position of General of the Imperial army. In addition to making Thuyên the commander of Viet's existing forces, the position gives him the power to better organize and increase the size. Notably, Kiều begins to ensure the broader distribution of gunpowder weapons to the Viet forces, especially in the more developed northern regions of the Kingdom. Cannons begin to become more commonplace, with Kiều ramping up manufacturing in and around the imperial citadel, and continuing the manufacture of smaller handheld weapons, ensuring the whole of the Imperial Army can be equipped. Kiều also begins to fortify more Viet cities, to expel any potential invasion. In particular, Imperial Citidal in Thăng Long receives more defenses and a stronger garrison consisting of the elite Scarlet Dragons, but the general plans to equip most cities of significance with at least a few cannons over the coming decade or so. Kiều continues the policy of keeping gunpowder a classified secret to prevent its spread, and makes sure gunpowder is produced in multiple stages to make it nearly impossible to steal. Under Kiềun's command, the Viet Imperial Army stands is structured to include 20,000 professional soldiers, with 30,000 more owing only limited service per year, or during war time. With the navy standing at 145 small ships, Kiều also begins work there. Champan ship yards are instructed to begin production of more advanced ships. More importantly, Emperor Chinh sends an envoy to Japan requesting assistance in expanding the size and capacity of Viet and Champan shipyards (Japanese Response), hoping to be able to produce larger more powerful ships in the near future. In addition, the garrison at Riau Island is complete, securing Viet trade in the region. While the Emperor waits for his own navy to expand in power, he continues to rely on Champan forces to secure trade, which continues will our neighbors. In particular, Emperor Chinh ramps up trade with Majapahit, asking that Viet merchants have free passge through Majapahit ports (Majapahit response). In addition to merchant ships, the Emperor begins to focus on spreading trade over land, sending envoys to Pegu, Hsenwi, La Na, Lavo, Muanf, Myinsaing, Ngoenyang, Phyan, Sukothai, and Singapura for mutual free passage of merchants through or nations, with the expectation that each nation do what is necessary to ensure major trade routes are secure (MOD RESPONSE). After his crucial experience in Khmer and Angkor, Prince Quan is recalled to the Imperial Court in Thăng Long to take o his relevant administration duties. The Prince is currently responsible for agriculture in the Kingdom, under the guidance of a few of the Emperor's trusted advisors. Sugarcane and Barley continue their spread through the Empire and are used to cycle crops, making harvests more effective. Quan uses his limited budget to subsidize the implementation of this system, but also continues the spread of floating rice across the Kingdom, which allows for higher yields, especially after effective crop cycling. Meanwhile, in a city called Tan Ap, rumors spread of a young boy called Soma, claimed to have mystical healing powers. Interested, a local noble named Thuyên Tông takes the orphaned boy under his wing, allowing him to learn at a nearby Buddhist temple, while practicing his healing. Fascinated by the obvious affect of the boy, several Buddhist Monks and nearby villages begin to listen to Soma's somewhat unusal teachings. Support continues for the King of Lavo in his efforts to secede the throne of Ayutthaya (note: takes it in 1388 OTL).
- Angkorian Kingdom (Vassal of Dai Viet): King Damkhat continues to work under the perview of Dai Viet. Miltiary prescense is minimal, but the kingdom begins to adopt the cycling of rice with sugarcane and barely, albeit at a slower rate than the kingdom proper.
- All these states accept trade with Vietnam
- Majapahit Diplo: Majapahit permits Dai Viet merchants in its ports.
- Kingdom of Padania: Cassono hits a very rough time in his health and hands over control of the country to the nobles which leads to different regions having different major names. Spinola and Medici both take large amounts of control in there respective regions One of Cassono’s sons has a lot of influence in Military occupied venice, and another has major influence in Sienna and Pisa. The Lord of Florence also has major influence from the Medici family and his humanist teachings are spread among the vast majority of the Medici Family.
Habemus Papam! The long conclave of 1374-1375 concludes with Archbishop Jan van Arkal of Utrecht being elected, who takes on the papal name of Pope Sebastian I. The electoral capitulations presented to the elected Cardinal stipulates that he upholds the Catholic dogma in regards to scripture in the vernacular, and that he addresses the rising concern of Dele Torre. Catherine of Siena particularly leads the faction for pursuing peace in Italy.
The Treaty of Verona concludes, which allows the remiander of Tuscany to be annexed by Padania, and that the Republic of Venice falls under the personal control of Delle Torre in personal union with Milan. This causes great alarm across many governments in Italy, both the Curia in Rome and the Prince Electors of Germany, and even some vassals within Padania's territory. The name of Delle Torre becomes a byword in Europe as he is portrayed as having a megalomaniacal ambition, comparable to that of Julius Caesar.
The Treaty of Verona does not address most of Venice's colonial empire, which was not part of the war and the new government under Delle Torre has no reason to relinquish (except Dalmatia which was already ceded to Hungary and Rhodes which was ceded to Byzantium). As such, Venice is able to devote their full force of troops left over from the war in Italy to directly defend their territories in Greece, and send their navy to bear against the Bosporus strait.
Edward IV of England becomes gravely ill, but does not die. John of Gaunt, third son of Edward III, takes charge as de-facto leader of England's government after the recent internal disorder caused by their defeat at the hands of France. Most of England's upper and middle classes percievs that the royal court of England is highly corrupt and mismanaged, under Gaunt's rule. Gaunt also places personal protection over John Wycliff and his "Poor Priests", which further causes antagonism against him.
The Northern Yuan dynasty suffers some instability since their defeats at the hands of the Tian. A large group of tribes among forest peaople in the eastern half of the nation forms their own confederacy known as "the Banner of Four Oirats".
Novgorod and other Rus' states once again go to war with the Golden Horde, liberating the remaining vassal states of Moscow and Vladimir.
Timur complets his campaign in Bactria, and annexes all of the former Sultanate of Zaranj.
- The Iroquois Confederacy:Hiawatha has a son name Desagondensta who said will be leader one day, we have a council to see if we prepare for war in the future all tribes say yes, we start to have more Literature and cultural exchanges with each other, we start to trap animals for fur, we start to make a lot of weapons for the future, we build more longhouses around the nation, peace for now is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each Tribe. This also develops major cultural connections within the Five Tribes, we also pass down many stories, this is the region of Hiawatha.
- Kingdom of England: After Edward’s falls gravely ill, a King whose rule has seen mixed results, the gain of the Duchy of Brittany and the loss of the Duchy of Aquitaine in France, England is devestated to learn the untimely passing of his son, Richard II, who would to succeed him if he passed away as a King. Rumors blaming intrigue courts for his sudden death emerge, although officially his death causes was a contraction of the black death that reaped through parts of the country once again, although this outbreak was contained in a much more limited scale this time. The only certainty is that his habit to socialize with the commoners in his court certainly played a role in his demise. John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster becames the true power behind the throne, as well as the untimely demise of Edward IV's heir places him first in line to succeed Edward IV after his son's untimely passing from life. Encouraged by John of Gaunt's support, John Wycliff takes more radical steps to preach his doctrine, renouncing the Pope's authority every now and then, as well as finally having the confidence to publish his doctrine, "De civili dominio" for all the world to see. In it he argues that the Church had fallen into sin and that it ought therefore to give up all its property and that the clergy should live in complete poverty. Thus Wycliffe's work he called for the royal divestment of all church property. His ideas on church wealth prove to be very attractive among the nobility, with all the increase this would provide to their estates income. The tendency of the high offices of state to be held by clerics was also resented by many of the nobles. John of Gaunt had his a lot of reasons for opposing the wealth and power of the clergy, thus from the position of power that the succession of the English throne provided him, as it seemed increasingly propable he would succeed Edward IV as the new King, each day passing with the King's health deteriorating, he supported more vehemently Wycliff and his Poor Priests also as a means to enforce and increase his power over the royal court. While Wycliff also encourages his followers, the Poor Priests to be more aggressive in their actions, serving to put back in line the non-conforming nobility with the threat of force. While a portion of the nobility genuinely embraces John Wycliff's teachings, thrilled over his radical call for the royal divestment of church property that would undoubtedly increase their estate's income, other on the fence are persuaded by the sheer threat of force, with the Poor Priests breathing down their necks. Duke John of Gaunt adopts a middle road in regards to the seizure of the chruch property, avoiding the more radical voices, in line with Wycliff and the Catholic church's doctrine, the clergy and the monks are permitted to have as much land as is required to grow their own food, referring to this practice as humane expulsion, seeking to remove the excesses of the church to restore it to its original pure path, without doing any harm to their fellow Christians, the clergy and the monks. These limited displays of seizure of monastic property serve as the fireworks that bring into the spotlight the whole issue, working up the nobility's appetite, who became to crave the Church's treasure more each day as their revenues increase from monastic treasures. The partially restored Knights Templar order clashes with the Poor Priests in several locations, generating backlash for both sides. This gives an excuse to many English nobles who were stripped of the titles that King Edward III and King Edward IV consequently awarded them for their loyal service to the crown, who were stripped of their rightful possessions to return them back to the Templars, who demanded the return of their property for more than a decade now, to rally behind John Wycliff and his Poor Priests, supporting them with donations, volunteers and arms in their clashes with the Knights Templars. Roughly around 2,000 refugees flee the nation to Iceland for several causes, such as the recent bubonic plague, poverty after extreme taxation for the war and lack of jobs as the economy took a sudden downturn after the war's end. King Edward IV spends most time on his deathbed, recalling his failures such as the loss of the Duchy of Aquitaine, a severe humiliation for him, wishing he had more time to atone for them and his shortcomings in the recent war, although looking back positively on the conquest of the Duchy of Brittany, a success he might be remembered for. His health constantly deteriorates, some even go as far to speculate that his medication might be causing this. The majority just disregards this talk as rumors. John of Gaunt, Duke Lancaster's efforts center around strengthening and preparing his nation for the upcoming reignition of the Hundread Years War with France. Owain Lawgoch estates in England, confiscated back in 1369, are restored to him, along with a royal decree pardoning him for any actions he has taken against the English throne. John of Gaunt's faction is speculated to have been behind this. The Princedom of Wales is converted into the Archduchy of Wales by royal decree. While also changes are made to the penal code by a royal decree, abolishing the distinctions for the Welsh and equating them as equal subjects to the realm to the English and Normans, aiming to soothe tensions in the area between the Welsh and the Anglo-Norman settlers in Wales. All these actions are done in preparation for the inevitable resparking of hostilities with the Kingdom of France, as having a hotspot for rebellions inside our realm while at war with the French wouldn’t serve anyone’s interests. Owain Lawgoch is offered the opportunity to marry Philippa of Lancaster, John of Gaunt's 16-year-old daughter and receive the Archduchy of Wales as a dowry, ruling via jure uxoris over his wife's Archduchy. [Mod Response]
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: The western Moldova call for help to being free to pPlish control and rest of the region among the Habsburgs indicates that Moldova must be proclaimed a Romanian principality the Duke of Transylvania, admit it was must be under Romanian control The Habsburgs begins to support the recolonization of the current Wallachia statues economic monarchy by Albert III once as a Transylvanian Saxon (German) he joined the army to prepare for this war the horses are well-improved in the armor category the tactic is well-prepared for the soldier arrow weapons are ready the worried with poland about this vassal will be put in by the Wallachians the role of nobility is beginning to become a very important role in the region Albert III of Austria send a German armies for Vladislav I for the liberation Duchy of Transylvania begins to make a very important contact with relations with the kingdom of Hungary Wallachia send armed 23,100 in size at the ongoing war of Moldova the regional dukes dispute with the Polish control since it's bad Albert III now finish training with Vladislav I he could be treated well by Habsburg Wallachia become a higher principality of development and main respective The Poles being attacked the Wallachian army for maintenance the knight of the Wallachia use shields to defend themselves with their sword a Polish soldier is defeated by them one of the region is controlled by the Duchy of Transylvania The Habsburgs begins to join regional reconquest of Moldova anyway as always the literature and culture is in good atmosphere of local development of the monarchy one of the abbese, begins to become one of the important role Hungarian dukes are starting to have allies with Wallachia in Transylvania to respond to support a bridge is developed in the north of Bessarabia by the Saxons the economics of Wallachia is almost improved in their money by the principality an impact has been reponse about Moldova and Wallachia they're in a civil war the economy is in trouble and the civil separatist are being launch civil war oltenia is asking to be free for a separatist independent at future of Wallachia.
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council pays close attention to the situation surrounding the Treaty of Verona. On the one hand they understand the German electors' concerns about Delle Torre's ambition, having witnessed similar behaviour from Hispania during the war in France; on the other hand, the Swiss Confederacy has had a trade alliance with the Republic of Milan, the founding constituency of Padania, since 1333, and so the Padanian expansion could give the Swiss more trade opportunities. After vigorous debates, the Central Council decides to take a neutral position on the matter of the Treaty of Verona for the time being. The potential for this situation to develop into a conflict which Switzerland could be caught in the crossfire of means a certain level of military readiness is maintained in the Confederacy. The joint military of the Confederacy focuses on fortifying the nation's largest city, Zürich, by reinforcing the city walls, aided by some of the mercenaries who have returned from the conflict in France. Domestically, the government works on improving roads in the southern Cantons of Uri, Bern and Sion to help increase trade both internally and potentially with the expanded Padania. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits Count Amadeus VI of Savoy, whose nation the Confederacy has had a trade alliance with since 1353, and proposes a marriage between Amadeus's son Amadeus VII (b. 1360) and Ulrich's granddaughter Anna von Lenzburg (b. 1364). (Mod response) Ulrich VI's son Heinrich II von Lenzburg and Catherine of Nassau-Wiesbaden have a second child, a son named Otto (b. 1376). Later in the year, Ida von Lenzburg's daughter Michelle of Anjou-Lenzburg and Engelbert III of Mark have their first child, a son named Engelbert IV (b. 1376). Ulrich VI von Lenzburg and Michelle's brother King William V of Arles both visit the newborn child in the County of Mark. Bishop of Basel Ludovico Mazzo publicly criticises the teachings of John Wycliffe, describing them as heretical. The other bishops of the Swiss Confederacy and the Central Council remain silent on this matter for the time being, however.
- Amadeus agrees.
- Papal States: The new Pope Sebastian I creates as cardinals Pedro IV Tenorio (Hispania), Alexander Neville (England), Bertrand Lagier (France), Édouard of Savoy (Swiss Confederacy), Juan Guteritz (Portugal), He insists to the College of Cardinals that translations of the Bible have value in teaching proper Catholic faith to civilians. New anonymous pamphlets begin to appear in both the Papal States and Navarre, describing the House of Barcelona has having associated with demons which caused the death of the previous Pope Nicholas V and the subsequent disturbance in the Church; these pamphlets creates more anti-Hispanian sentiment in both these regions. (More to added if/when Lou tells me.)
- Empire of Ethiopia: With Mogadishu captured, the Imperial Army takes time to rest in the captured capital of Ajuran. The men are given a period of rest as supplies are brought in through Mogadishu’s port. By now, most of the Somali peasant rebels have fled inland into the desert heart of Somalia. Before chasing the rebels for a final confrontation, the Emperor takes time to organize the army and begin building up supplies for a campaign in the desert. Food, medical supplies, and others are brought in by the Ethiopian navy and stockpiled for the final campaign to finish the rebellion. After resting, the Emperor’s forces ravage the surrounding villages and towns around Mogadishu, aiming to punish the Somali peasants for harming Christian nobles and imprisoning Christian monks. Dozens of towns and villages are looted and burned, with their inhabitants killed or enslaved as retribution and to remind the Somalis of what happens to those who defy the Empire. After pillaging these villages for more supplies the Imperial Army leaves 500 men behind in Mogadishu to garrison the capital, taking 19,000 men into the desert heartland of Somalia for a final confrontation to crush the rebels. The Imperial Army marches toward Kelafo, intending to either provoke the Somali rebels into defending the city in a battle outside the walls or to besiege the city [ALGO NEEDED FOR BATTLE OR SIEGE]. In Europe the Ethiopian delegation learns of Spain’s struggles against Muslims, and how Spain had at one time been conquered and occupied by Muslims. This resonates with the Ethiopian delegation, who come from a Christian nation that was similarly attacked and temporarily occupied by Muslims. The Ethiopians admire Spain’s success in resisting the Muslims and the historians amongst the delegation document in great detail Spanish campaigns against the Muslims and victories at Grenada and San Diego. Because of Spain’s similar struggles against the Muslims, the delegation looks upon Spain with great fondness and admiration. Domestically Ethiopia continues to refine its infrastructure, continuing to improve and maintain its road network. The naval facilities in ports are also expanded, while the government also encourages the planting of cotton and the immigration of Hindustani cotton farmers.
- Georgia: Tamar II institutes several reforms. The Chancellor would now be in charge of appointments, promotions, and demotions, within the bureaucracy. The Treasurer, apart from collecting tax and handling state revenue, would now also oversee the gathering of census data (essential in curbing tax evasion and in the mobilization of troops). The office of Vizier is combined with the Master of Royal Stables (Marshal). Meanwhile, two new offices are created: the Tribounos, and the Quaestor. The former is responsible for the maintenance of roads and buildings, as well as the minting of coins; the latter would become the senior judicial official in Tbilisi. The duties of each state ministry are partitioned between multiple bureaus. Per Persian tradition, she hires a dozen doctors and astrologers each to serve in the Georgian court. A separate infantry corps wielding hand-cannons is established. The barrels become longer. Silver and copper are mined extensively – underpinning the economy. Foreign trade flourishes and brings much wealth to Georgia. Cotton cloth and woolens are exported, as well as felt, wine, and enamel.
- Mali Empire: The caravan trade along the African Silk Road continues to keep Mali as one of the most lucrative nations. Further economic reforms are approved by Mansa Mustafa through the Gbara, which disseminates control over the overland trade to a variety of local feudal lords and private merchants. This causes a significant rise of the middle class across the larger cities of the empire, mainly in Timbuktu and Gao which are also diverse hubs of immigrating people groups. However, this also was capitalized by the lords of the eastern territories closer to the hub of trade, especially the regent of Kanem, Dawud ibn Ayyob. Dawud utilized the loophole of this economic reform to help funnel finances into his own private military, asserting more autonomous control over the eastern regions. Yahya Al-Shams signed a treaty with Mustafa this year as well, under the careful mediation of the Dawud-supporting faction of the Gbara, which was signed in Dakar. The treaty stipulated a variety of generous liberties and benefits for the southern vassals ahead of any other vassal of Mali, effectively giving them full independence. The only stipulations the treaty placed on the House of Shams-Qamar was that they remained allied and nominally loyal to the Emperor, and that they may never assume the title of Mansa themselves. This treaty was also established with the descendants of Yahya, such as his eldest son Yusuf, who had all adopted a kind of gavelkind succession. Following this defeat, Mustafa pushed toward expansion of Mali along their Atlantic domination and territories, particularly the Gorgades islands and the Sidinate of Pisacus. Following the Agreement of Niani, Mustafa allowed Mikhail to leave the court and return to the Sidinate, escorted by a substantial squadron of 2,000 infantry, 800 camels, 200 slaves, 40 Imams, and 70 princes of the imperial court, each bearing a golden scepter. This expedition will create a permanent embassy toward establishing relations between the Sidinate and the imperial court, in their status as protectorate of the House of Keita. The military occupies the regions around the Sidinate, claiming the lands as the direct property of the Mansa and defended from Berber threats. In France, Simba is very pleased by the kind hospitality provided for him by the Capetian court in Paris. He takes in all their knowledge shared on history and geography, on top of his ideas of engineering he took from Italy. From the warriors of Paris, he takes up training on becoming a knight, and learning the swordsmanship and lanced cavalry known to western Europe. In return, he shares with the scholars of France all his knowledge about Mali, their cities and geography as well as their form of government. He relates to them the whole saga of the story of Musa, his great-grandfather, who rose to legendary success and doubled the size of the empire. After finishing in France, Simba proceeds to move east to visit the city of Aachen, at the invitation of the great Emperor of Rome. He is truly amazed at the sheer beauty and majesty of Aachen Cathedral, and considers this do doubt to be the ceremonial capital of Al-Rum.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: General Nasir Zaman’s forces move to engage the remaining Maabar forces near the Maabar capital of Madurai (Battle of Madurai). Trade continues to grow and several small towns emerge as important trade centres. Many of the garrison towns established a few decades ago have grown and are now well-established, providing a source of troops for the Sultanate’s standing army. The Sultanate has been expanding recruitment efforts to include other communities, a substantial part is now drawn from the Punjabi and Marathi communities.
- Nyazwe: Rebuilding of the southern half of Nyazwe, now collectively known as Chamhembe, continues under the guidance of the Ministry of Land and the Ministry of Means, who have put forth a series of policies to the Zvakane to review. Rebuilding of the roads has taken precedence over all other concerns in Chamhembe due to the logistical needs of the region. Once the roads have been rebuilt, work will begin on the rebuilding of the former Nguni capital of Oyengweni. Following their defeat, Oyengweni has been renamed Bhurawuni, or "brown", after the muddy brown color of the river flowing nearby (OTL Maputo River). The Vakadanwa begins to rebuild its garrisons throughout the southern districts of the country, as well as rebuild its numbers following the reconquest of the region. Many Shona men in the liberated lands have began to filter themselves into the ranks of the army, seeking adventure in the lands north of the Limpopo River, as well as seek vengeance against the Nguni who oppressed them for nearly two decades. In the north, expansion of the gold mines is authorized by Chatunga, who seeks to expand the nation's economic footprint in the Indian Ocean via trade, hoping that the increased prospect of mineral wealth in the land will attract more foreigners with whom to trade with. Nyazwe traders themselves have likewise begun to sail farther and farther afield to lands not traditionally visited by their people, such as Southeast Asia, Indochina, the Philippines. In these lands, Nyazwe gold, ivory, and copper are exchanged for ceramics, silks, and spices, which are becoming increasingly popular in the Shona homeland. Of particular note are the silk clothes worn by the people of East Asia. Many of the Shona find themselves inadequately garbed by comparison, and an air of envy begins to take hold in the social circles of Nyazwe's elite. Seeking to compete with these foreigners, many of the upper-class in Nyazwe have begun to craft new ideas for clothing on the same level as their eastern counterparts, something which they believe will bring a measure of pride to their people in Africa. After reviewing the resources and population of the Kumodokero region in the far west, as well as performing an accounting of its contributions to the economy in its section of the country, Kumodokero is officially re-designated as the Nineteenth District of Nyazwe, and granted full local rights and responsibilities as afforded to all integral divisions of the state. Boasting a respectable population of some 92,000 inhabitants, the newly-established Nineteenth District is assigned its new governor and regional quotas, and all the male property-holders in the district allowed to begin selecting men of repute to represent their concerns in front of the governor in the city of Gantsi. Up in the lands of the Levant, Kusvika departs from Jerusalem after his abortive attempts to visit the two holy cities of Islam. In their place, he visits the cities of Cairo and Alexandria, two locations he has heard much of throughout his time in the Arab world, and which he hears are among the largest and more prosperous cities in all of the Middle East. Upon entering Cairo, Kusvika finds that the rumors fell short of the true splendor of the city. Home to some 500,000 inhabitants, more than five times Lusvingo's population, Cairo is arrayed in a glorious manner Kusvika believes was done to highlight the might of Islam in the east. Massive mosques, great fountains, intricate artwork, broad avenues and gardens, public water dispensaries, and sanitation facilities located across the city, Cairo stupefies Kusvika, who acknowledges that his homeland is absolutely primitive by comparison. Documenting his time in the city to the smallest detail, Kusvika postpones his move over to Alexandria in the meantime, to allow him more time to explore what he deems the "greatest city in all of Arabia".
- Kingdom of Eiru: Further fighting between the O'Rourkes and O'Reilleys bordering on all out war. Casual endemic warfare remains between the other Kingdoms within Eiru. Otherwise trade of whisky, wool and other goods remains modest while a small navy is maintained for counter- piracy efforts.
- Roman Empire: The insidious betrayal by the Padanian princes strikes deep at the heart of the Empire. The army under the command of Andronikos IV and Georgius Stauricius in Eubea, having suffered a serious setback sends word to the capital advising that the Empire seek peace. An envoy is sent to the new Venetian government, requesting that Doge Cassono and Basileus John V meet in person off the coast of Eubea to negotiate terms. [In Secret] The envoy also seeks a private audience with members of the Senate and the Council of Ten, asking their help in assassinating the Padanian upstart. [End Secret] (Mod/Venice Response) The proposed terms are as follows: recognition of Rhodes as under Roman rule, Roman annexation of the Venetian colonies on the Crimean Peninsula proper, and an end to all trade conditions between Venice and the Roman Empire. Additionally, the envoy proposes a 25 year truce between Venice, the Roman Empire, and the Empire of Trebizond. (Player & Mod Responses) Presuming the peace negotiations will hold this time, Basileae John and Andronikos focus on repairing the damage to the Roman and Trebizondian Navies and securing gain in Crimea before the arrival of the envoys. Troops are quickly transferred from Eubea to Crimea by sea where they attack Theodosia from both land and sea, attempting to capture the city rapidly. In total, some 3,000 marines and ground troops take part in the assault which is supported by several large siege trebuchets and gunpowder artillery. The Roman Navy launches hundreds of fire-pots into the harbor of the city, incinerating several trapped Venetian ships. During the siege, Master of Fire Vasilis Ingerinus begins experiments with gunpowder infused Greek fire. He mixes copious amounts of saltpeter into the naphtha based mixture causing the resulting fire to burn with an intensity not seen before. Several hundred of the naval grenades are filled with this new substance, leading to even more destruction. The Great Arsenal of Constantinople, although incomplete, launches twelve small war galleys. These ships are similar to the ancient Hemiolia, carrying 70 orsmen in one and a half files, allowing for fast light ships. Each features a pair of chaser cannons, as well as two springalds for throwing Greek fire grenades. More immediately, ships damaged at the Battle of Cyclades continue to undergo repairs, with most being fully repaired in the two years since the battle.
- Should probably be responded to in Padinia's post. Trebizond agrees, however.
- The Senate and Council of Ten in a private audience state they have already arranged a deal with the Florentine assassins that the sceptre will kill Cassono at his next opportunity they presume this year. Cassono leaves the decision to the council who acept this offer all tired of war.
- Majapahit Empire: With the establishment of two vassal Kingdoms on Borneo and Sulawesi, Majapahit's focus turns to the task of the planned invasion of the neighboring Pajajaran Kingdom with troops from across the Empire being assembled on its border with Pajajaran including the vaunted Bhayangkara. The majority of the Majapahit navy is withdrawn to ports on Java in preparation for the planned blockade on Pajajaran which is to coincide with the invasion. Efforts continue to fortify the border, rice fields, and ports against any possible enemy attacks that could slip through the lines. In preparation for the invasion, hand cannons are starting to be distributed to small units outside the Bhayangkara that have received the necessary training to handle them although the distribution is not widespread due to the inefficiencies with hand cannons. Foundries across Majapahit continue to produce cetbangs and rentakas with the surplus rentakas being given to merchants as a deterrent against pirates in their travels. The Raja has begun to offer patronage to Hinduism and Buddhism both and encouraged its spread across Java and nearby islands by sending monks to convert natives. In an effort to encourage Hindu-Buddhism in trade across Majapahit, the Raja has decided to establish a state-sponsored merchants guild with the following requirements for membership: must speak Javanese, proof of vessel and crew for said vessel, information about their trade (types of merchandise, ports of call and origin, wares, etc.) and that they must be either Hindu/Buddhist. All members would be required to pay an initial fee as well as conduct trade in Javanese if they were to join the trade guild. The members would be exempt from the Perdagangan tax (tax is for all merchants outside the guild), have access to guild ports, priority access to the royal court, provided rentakas (type of cannon), and access to the guild bank. To get the guild bank started, the royal government has provided the starting funds and will continue to supply it through income from the Perdagangan tax for the time being until the guild bank is capable of becoming self-sufficient and also the initial fee for membership which goes straight into the bank/guild funds. The messenger ships required for government use are put to the task of delivering messages from the Raja with a sizeable portion of the vessels being turned to protect trade in the absence of most of Majapahit's navy as they are amassing for the upcoming invasion. An agama (religious) tax has also been implemented across Majapahit to all people who are not Buddhist/Hindu in an attempt to earn more converts for Hinduism and Buddhism.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": John of Arkel is Elected as Pope Sebastian, Emperor Charles IV congratulating his majesty. This being the First Lotharingian Pope, John winning with a big majority of the vote. The Emperor even sending an envoy of the Königliche Garde Johanns des Siegreichen, Showing Lotharingia's Loyalty to God and the Successor of Saint Peter. As the Emperor of Romans and king of Lotharingia wants to show that The empire will so long it exists support the Roman Catholic church. The Roman emperor and kings, dukes, counts and more being directly empowered by the Pope in the Name of God. The Merchants and Pilgrims of Christ and the order of Nicholas of Bari officially founds a new military wing of the order, Which is called The Nubian knights of Saint Nicolas of Bari. This being a reference to the Nubians who the saint set free from their Egyptian slaveholders, who eventualy decided to follow him. The order setting it into policy that any Nubian slave Members of the order can Find in Egypt and the Levant will be freed, and given the possibility to join the order and become knights. Other African Christians also being allowed to hold Civilian jobs, or even join the monastery if one desires so. As the order wants to increase population, specifically those able to do educated jobs such as Architects, Carthography and Naval Strategists. Another african of note is Simba ibn Mustafa ibn Ayyob ibn Musa Djata the heir of the Malian throne, who Emperor and King Charles has invited over to the Roman capital of Aachen. The Emperor even sending a 50 men strong envoy of Praetorian guard to protect the Heir during his Travels to the Roman Capital of Aachen. Simba meeting the Emperor in Royal Palace in Aachen, where Charles is shown to wear the crown of Charlemagne and a nicely woven tunic. This all being done to show how this German speaking Roman empire is going, Charles trying is upper best to speak the Infidel Language of Arabic. This use of Arabic easing Simba slightly, the emperor and Simba often using foreign translators for their talks. One of the Biggest issue's Simba has is understanding the temperture, as all information on Roman empire Discribe Rome as Warm but slightly more Humid. But Simba has experienced colds that even he himself belief it to be the Land of the Jinn. Charles telling Simba that this change is due to him being in Germania, which is colder part of the expanded empire. Simba being offered various forms of foods such as apple pie and sprouts with bread, Simba finding these foods very strange. Simba proclaiming even "Allah does not allow the torture of a Food, you Romans are wicked yet brave". The sprouts being considered very bitter by Simba, although he does recognise the taste of the Spices in the apple pie. These tastes and luxeries reminding Simba's old home. One thing that does not remind Simba of his home is the Königlich-Lotharingisches Heer, which is a very standardised and infantry heavy for its size. The army of Mali being bigger but slightly less advanced, the Lotharingian army having more profesionaly paid soldiers in proportion and less levies. Charles offering Simba to be a Cannoneer, Which he glady accepts.
- Japanese Empire: The expansion of trade continues within the empire as serious efforts to resecure and refortify trade routes with Imperial navy sees an increase in trade. The reconstruction of the Kyushu province sees a redistricting of the noble lands within the territory to be scaled further back and the lands to be further administered by the Emperor himself. The further maturing of the Imperial Bureaucracy and the examination system sees arrival of more qualified and educated imperial administrators to the Province of Kyushu almost as a litmus test for rolling this out to other provinces of the Empire. The reconstruction efforts specifically toward Nagasaki sees much of the city after nearly two years cleaned up and rebuilt. However, the damage to the civilian populace and defenses during the rebellion sees a decent reduction in the civilian population overall forcing the city to contract moderately as the city begins to restructure to the smaller population. The assessment of the Imperial levy sees the fact that the forces available to the emperor have been significantly affected by the revolt with over one-third having been wiped out during the revolt as a result of the pitched battles and specifically the storming of Nagasaki. Having given a few years off from their more labor oriented oglibations the levies are officially brought back into the labor pool specifically to begin the expansion and redevelopment of the Capital region. The cities of Osaka, Nagoya, and Kyoto all see expansions of their housing and artisan and guild districts outside the cities proper walls with these cities clearly being three of the most densely populated cities in Japan. The Imperial naval expansion brings multiple ships into the fleet with the 20 strong trade protection fleet arriving now in the South China sea. The development of Hokkaido for the first time sees direct imperial intervention with part of the levy being instructed to help developand expand Sapporo. The other smaller towns and cities also expand as well and farming has more tightly taken ahold of the island. Sakhalin also begins its own development program based on setting up cities at intervals with surveys conducted in the cental and northern portions of the island for future settlement. The small town of Anijii in Sakhalin continues to develop as a proper port for the island. The expansion of the Iwami-Ginzan mine sees a new wave of gold and silver enter circulation to account for previously uncounted populations and administrative inefficiencies in the system. The Civil exam system finally sees its codification as a permanent force in the Imperial Bereaucracy as the trailing power of the Nobility becomes more and more subsumed into the growing powers of the Emperor and the Four noble houses of Japan which in their own right have adhered to the new Imperial system and used it to their own benefit specifically using it to help develop or expand their own personal lands and influence using some loopholes within the law. This, however, expends mostly toward the growing influence of trade and the guilds with the Four Noble houses investing heavily into the Japanese guilds in order to push for more notable advances in income potential.
- Dai Viet: After his successful operation in the former Khmer Empire and his success pacifying the region, the general Kiều Sơn Hà is promoted by Emperor Chinh to the position of General of the Imperial army. In addition to making Thuyên the commander of Viet's existing forces, the position gives him the power to better organize and increase the size. Notably, Kiều begins to ensure the broader distribution of gunpowder weapons to the Viet forces, especially in the more developed northern regions of the Kingdom. Cannons begin to become more commonplace, with Kiều ramping up manufacturing in and around the imperial citadel, and continuing the manufacture of smaller handheld weapons, ensuring the whole of the Imperial Army can be equipped. Kiều also begins to fortify more Viet cities, to expel any potential invasion. In particular, Imperial Citidal in Thăng Long receives more defenses and a stronger garrison consisting of the elite Scarlet Dragons, but the general plans to equip most cities of significance with at least a few cannons over the coming decade or so. Kiều continues the policy of keeping gunpowder a classified secret to prevent its spread, and makes sure gunpowder is produced in multiple stages to make it nearly impossible to steal. Under Kiềun's command, the Viet Imperial Army stands is structured to include 20,000 professional soldiers, with 30,000 more owing only limited service per year, or during war time. With the navy standing at 145 small ships, Kiều also begins work there. Champan ship yards are instructed to begin production of more advanced ships. More importantly, Emperor Chinh sends an envoy to Japan requesting assistance in expanding the size and capacity of Viet and Champan shipyards (Japanese Response), hoping to be able to produce larger more powerful ships in the near future. In addition, the garrison at Riau Island is complete, securing Viet trade in the region. While the Emperor waits for his own navy to expand in power, he continues to rely on Champan forces to secure trade, which continues will our neighbors. In addition to merchant ships, the Emperor begins to focus on spreading trade over land, begingin to make sure merchants are sent to all nearby nations. After his crucial experience in Khmer and Angkor, Prince Quan is recalled to the Imperial Court in Thăng Long to take o his relevant administration duties. The Prince is currently responsible for agriculture in the Kingdom, under the guidance of a few of the Emperor's trusted advisors. Sugarcane and Barley continue their spread through the Empire and are used to cycle crops, making harvests more effective. Quan uses his limited budget to subsidize the implementation of this system, but also continues the spread of floating rice across the Kingdom, which allows for higher yields, especially after effective crop cycling. Meanwhile, in a city called Tan Ap, rumors spread of a young boy called Soma, claimed to have mystical healing powers. Interested, a local noble named Thuyên Tông takes the orphaned boy under his wing, allowing him to learn at a nearby Buddhist temple, while practicing his healing. Fascinated by the obvious affect of the boy, several Buddhist Monks and nearby villages begin to listen to Soma's somewhat unusual teachings. Support continues for the King of Lavo in his efforts to secede the throne of Ayutthaya, with the emperor providing resources for Ramesuan to stabilize his power base in Lavo.
- Angkorian Kingdom (Vassal of Dai Viet): King Damkhat continues to work under the perview of Dai Viet. Military preense is minimal, but the kingdom begins to adopt the cycling of rice with sugarcane and barely, albeit at a slower rate than the kingdom proper.
- Kingdom of Hungary and Dalmatia: King Stephen V senses a new problem arising once the message of a Padanian military buildup and an emerging conflict of them with Byzantium reaches the court in Budapest, the King orders a large modernization effort. Especially concerned with the security of Dalmatia and Ragusa, the old Venetian nobility is asked to construct a Hungarian fleet of their own, both to defend Hungarian interests in the Adriatic and to engage in far distant trade. The Tiepolo and Dandolo families who have both large interest in reviving their merchant strength are ready to invest into a large Arsenal replicate in Ragusa (even though not even remotely in the size of the Venetian Arsenal and Navy). For the time being, the influence of the Venetian merchant families is directed toward Ragusa, a city in which tariffs are ridiculously low and the markets are filled with grain and textiles right for the taking. However, this is only a small venture to boost the economy in the newly annexed territory. Much more important are the events on the Balkans and Italy, and the growing hatred for the Padanian king leads to an increase in infrastructure improvements in the entire south of Hungary, while defensive structures are set up in the north and west. SECRET A series of secret letters is sent to the members of the Council of Ten, the members of the House della Scala and other influential nobles of Venice, with Hungary offering them to liberate Venice and to kill Cassono, if they are willing to enter a formal alliance with Hungary afterward.(VENICE/MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). Furthermore, assassins are hired to kill the heirs of the Padanian king (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). SECRET END King Stephen orders a census, to be able to plan infrastructure projects, calculating the size of a potential army and the potential of economic increase (CENSUS, PLEASE). The agricultural sector undergoes some reforms as well, with farmers who start to use modern farming techniques and/or volunteer for infrastructure projects are given tax cuts. Political Power begins to be centralized by nobles being invited to Budapest, where they assemble to take administrative decisions and take an advising role in the lawmaking process by reporting the news from their particular region, then advising on how to handle the reported problem. SECRET Large defensive structures and an army of 30,000 is mustered to eventually intervene against Padania, and to seize Istria. A force of 10,000 is prepared in tyrol to march into Verona if needed SECRET END
- Venetian response: Venice states that they already have arrangements set expected to take place late this year early next with inside agents close to Cassono.
- Kingdom of Padania: December 1376: The scepter (Master assassin of Florence) sneaks his way into Cassono’s throne room where he’s sitting with two guards. The scepter throws two throwing knives each hits the guard in the throat and kills them. Cassono looks the scepter dead in the eyes and says, “So it seems my time has come. Figured it’d be you that eventually killed me, may I at least have the honor of knowing your face on my way out.” The Scepter looks at him and without a word chucks a throwing knife into Cassono’s knee hitting the nerve and instantly bringing him down to his knees. He unmaks his face revealing Lorenzo De Medici, the well-known head of House Medici and slits Cassono’s throat. He remasks himself and leaves unnoticed except for his standard knives as a sign of the work of the scepter. The nation is expected to fracture into multiple pieces due to the youth and weakness of his sons and lack of opportunity to grow them into the role. As well as hate for the name Cassono della Torre.
- Burgundy: Having won a major concession from the King of France, Duke Philip the Bold proceeds to arrange for a closer ties with fellow French vassals. Controlling the French Duchy of Burgundy and the German county of Burgundy directly, and married to Margaret of Flander (who rules over Flanders and Nevers) Seeing himself as the leading autonomist French vassal, Philip proposes an alliance with the Counties of Anjou and Maine (MOD RESPONSE, please). Philip then proceeds to administer his realm, largely by beginning to integrate Nevers into Burgundy. Elsewhere, the economy in Burgundy is strengthened by the trade with both the French realm and the Holy Roman Empire. The Duke, already opposed to both the Lothringian Holy Roman Emperor and the French king, works to remove barriers between his county and duchy. Meanwhile, the Duke dispatches envoys to the Spiritual Electors of the Empire to assure them of their security from an ever-expanding Lotharingian influence.
NOTICE: Turnover time is changing!! From now on, the turnover time will be at 10:00 PM EST.
Like Caesar, Delle Torre's ambition leads to his downfall, as he is ultimately assassinated at the end of last year. This provokes the ongoing instability across the cities of his vast realm from Genoa and Tuscany as far as Venezia. The nobility in Padania struggle to agree on nominating a true successor to his great legacy, while the Council of Ten in Venice sieze the opportunity of electing a new local Doge.
John Wycliffe is grateful for the royal patronage, and uses it to begin his project of translating the Bible into (Middle) English. His teachings on calling priests to be more impoverished makes him very popular and respected among both laymen and the clergy. However, he also teaches against the concept of the eucharist as being the very body and blood of Christ, and suggests the words be changed to "This is very bread after the consecration". The Archbishop of Canterbury complains to the Pope that this change to the Eucharist is going too far.
Wycliffe is very pacifist and prefers not to target any nobles in England. In fact, the actions of John of Gaunt attempting to purge the nobility causes his popularity to suffer immensely, seeing the followers of Wycliffe as a small minority of peasants. Parliament pushes for instituting a poll tax as a way of funding the salaries of the royal magnates.
Owain Lawgoch accepts the deal to move to England and take the title of Duke of Wales.
The Majapahit tributary of Palembang in Sumatra revolts, raising 5,000 troops to defend their independence.
Timor launches a campaign against the White Horde to support his son, Tokhtamysh, to claim the throne.
The Golden Horde is defeated by Novgorod who liberates Moscow.
King No U of Korea adopts the Tian Calendar, and begins to beg the Tian Emperor to invest economic and military technology into his nation.
Ibn Khaldun becomes a very prominent statesman in the Sultanate of Morocco, and writes a number of theories regarding the nature of politcal history. He publishes a work titled The Introduction, which formulates a theory on cultural integrity called "assabiya". He also writes that a dynasty or government will last four generations before collapsing and restarting.
Ibn Battuta, the great world traveler and writer, dies in Marrakesh.
Playing cards becomes ubiquitous in popularity around Greece and Anatolia by this point. This year, they begin to appear in use around Basel and across Catalonia. A group of German monks issues a statement they feel such games are sinful and should be banned. They prohibit any cards made in Aragon to be used in their monasteries.
The Trezzo bridge in Padania is completed, which is the longest arch bridge in recorded history.
Guillaume de Machaut becomes a famous French poet and musical aritst. His most famous work at this time is called "Prise de Nicomedie". He also composes hundreds of hymns, ballads and lais.
- The Iroquois Confederacy: We start to hunt and move around out nation more, we make more worshiping places around out nations we start to have more oral and cultural exchanges with each other, we start to trap animals for fur, we start to make a lot of weapons for the future, we build more longhouses around the nation, peace for now is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each Tribe. This also develops major cultural connections within the Tribes, we also pass down many stories, we expand moderately southwest and make peaceful contact with any tribes there, this is the region of Hiawatha.
- Empire of Ethiopia: While marching toward the city of Kelafo, the Imperial Army encounters the remains of the Somali rebels making a stand at the Shebelle River Valley. Despite the army being tired from its march, the Emperor orders an immediate assault, confident his numbers can break through. Unfortunately the weariness of the men, combined with the fact the valley funnels the Ethiopian army into a narrow area, restricting their numerical superiority, leads to the Somalis managing to repel the Ethiopian assault. In light of the defeat, the Emperor calls a council of war, inviting his Chewa commanders, nobles, and allied commanders to attend. While many in the War Council debate the wisdom of pursuing the conflict, arguing that most of Ajuran has been reconquered, the rest push for the total defeat of the Somali rebels, arguing that the presence of Kelafo as a rebel city will encourage discontent and rebellion. As a compromise, the Emperor orders that the army be given a period of time to rest and regroup. Afterward the Emperor orders the remaining 15,000 men of the Imperial Army to engage the rebels in another assault in the Shebelle River Valley. [ALGO NEEDED]. In Europe, the delegation, having learned much of Spain's culture, military, and history, makes plans to depart. Hearing of the war in the west winding down, the delegation makes plans to travel to Valencia, and from there book passage to Toulon. The delegation arrives in Toulon amidst much curiosity about the new visitors, and the procession into the city is viewed by hundreds of spectators. From Toulon, the procession makes its way to Paris, with thousands of French peasants flocking on the roads to witness the Ethiopian procession. In southern France the Ethiopians are again shocked by the bounty and beauty of the lands, though they notice the war has taken its toll in the form of burned villages and plundered farms. Despite this, the delegation finds the lands very favorable, and one writer describes the climate as "gentle and loving". Upon arriving in Paris, the delegation makes another grand procession into the city, giving gifts of gold trinkets and alms to the peasantry. The delegation requests permission to be granted an audience with the King of France [FRANCE RESPONSE].
- French Diplomacy: The king's court receives the Ethiopian delegation cordially. The French are amazed that such a rich and powerful Christian empire could exist among the Muslim lords of the Orient. Louis X arranges a meeting with the Ethiopians, curious as to why they have come so far from their homeland. He proclaims that he will do everything in his power to assist them.
- Kingdom of Scotland: We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for their Greenland and the rest of their colonies each year. In the last three years over 150 settlers made Iceland their home. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II continues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. We make a proposal to the Kingdom of Iceland, to transfer them the vassalage of the Inner and Outer Hebrides islands as we've noticed they have taken an interest at recently, if they agree to become our vassals, as the Archduchy of Iceland. [Icelandic Players Response] King David II Bruce personally visits Count Christian V of Oldenburg, who remains unmarried and proposes a marriage between him and his lovely, the 15-year-old Alison Bruce, along with an alliance. [Mod Response]
- Christian agrees.
- Iceland accepts.
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council continues to monitor the situation in Padania, though they expect Cassono's death will be enough to avoid an outright war between Padania and the Holy Roman Empire as they had been dreading before; hence, the Swiss government continues to maintain an officially neutral position in the dispute surrounding the Treaty of Verona. Meanwhile, they also start paying close attention to Burgundy, seeing Philip the Bold's aggression only a few years after the end of his rebellon against the French King. This makes the Central Council worried about a potential threat to the Confederacy's allies Arles and Savoy or even its own western flank. In light of this, when Ulrich VI von Lenzburg is visiting Savoy to celebrate the marriage of his granddaughter Anna von Lenzburg to Amadeus VII of Savoy, Ulrich proposes to Count Amadeus VI of Savoy to upgrade the trade alliance between the Swiss Confederacy and Savoy (which has existed since 1353) to a full political alliance. (Mod response) Relatedly, the Canton of Bern sends an envoy to the city of Fribourg, suggesting for Fribourg and its surrounding territories to join the Confederacy as the Canton of Fribourg for defensive benefit against Burgundian aggression or French conflicts in general as well as for increase trade with the Swiss cantons. (Mod response) The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy focuses on fortifying the western cities of Bern, Solothurn and the still-being-rebuilt Biel/Bienne. Domestically, the government works on improving and expanding farms to increase the food supply, both creating more trade goods and increasing security against famines. Agnes von Lenzburg and Wenceslaus I, Duke of Saxe-Wittenberg have a second child, a daughter named Anna (b. 1377). Bishop of Basel Ludovico Mazzo, hearing the Archbishop of Canterbury's complaints about John Wycliffe's teachings and concurs with him in pushing for Pope Sebastian I to do something about this apparent heresy; the other Swiss bishops remain silent on the matter, though the Central Council starts to pay closer attention to the situation surrounding Wycliffe.
- Savoy agrees to an alliance.
- Fribourg agrees.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: The Habsburgs begin to intervene in the civil war of that moment the region of Moldova begins to be almost annexed by the Romanians since the Poles start to evacuate in western Moldova. The Polish aggression of this sight notice that the Dukes of Wallachia are in the form of unifications led by Vladislav and the voidove of Moldova Otlenian noblemen, begins to see a civil war impacted by the region while the Wallachian army invade this region to end the civil war of some week and month to endure unification Albert III asked the Duke of Transylvania to control Moldova at their own control the Habsburgs to support the annexation of western Moldova in Romanian principality clans main form as always Otlenia, asked the Habsburgs to intervene for what this event started the authorities say it was for a unification for the principalities of Wallachia the Dukes of Hungary, by sending a message to the Duke of Austria indicating that this unification may be answered in the region of Wallachia and at the border is was just starting but oh, well, Vladislav I will be in Austria for broadcast of the civil war for an economic improvement the Germans of Austria build a very tactical armed one of Wallachia by the armored in the power absolute capacity but still that Moldova is current controled by the Romanians and Habsburg by declaring against the Poles and when supporting of it by Duke of Transylvania in the north it is the calamity, the Saxons in preparation of the new weapon under construction a bridge is being finish by the local construction by the congress of the trade relation the orthodoxy of the church reponsds to the clock of the event by supporting this civil war in the south the south supports the throne of Albert III and the royal German family while respecting. (ALGO NEED)
- Mali Empire: For the remainder of Mustafa's reign, he turned back internally to focus on political and cultural reforms. In an attempt to prevent similar conflicts like the Bono war to happen again, he attempted to persuade the Gbara to restrict vassals from being able to raise their own armies, which was the crux of the internal conflict. This failed to be approved by the Gbara, who since ancient times maintained control over the military through the 16 direct vassals of Sundiata. After some debate, they finally accepted to forbid any minor vassals from raising military, and to have these regions be directly administrated by the Mansa, while the major vassals represented in the Gbara, as well as Kanem-Bornu and the Sidinate were exempt. The minor vassals were therefore given appointed governors by the Mansa in conjunctions with their own lord, called the Farima. After assuming these vassals, the vast imperial army organized by Musa is largely obsolete, as Mali has virtually no comparable enemies on land. So Mustafa began a gradual process of reducing the imperial army to 50,000 troops only, but having these troops be more professionally trained and organized efficiently. The rest of the military was divided to various districts along the southern and western borders, with their payment significantly reduced to act more as reserve militias. When Crown Prince Simba eventually returned from his education in Europe, he took direct command over this smaller army, outfitting them with all the training and equipment he had learned from France to make them more on par with European knights. He also doubled the number of cannons in the military, and created a separate military corpse to operate and manage the cannons. At sea, the enlarged Atlantic coast stretching from Dakar to Sahrawi became the best opportunity to greatly improve Mali's naval technology, with the ports along this coast upgraded to be more on par with the port at Dakar. Crown prince Simba also imported the naval technology he learned from Italy and Greece toward these ship upgrades. In religion, the Yuni and Sunni sects of Islam continued to be in direct conflict across various parts of the empire. The central government did not make any direct efforts to separate these sects, but over time they gravitated so that Kanem-Bornu remained majority Sunni, while the rest of the empire remained majority Yuni, although the city of Njimi was also a hub of Yuni culture.
- Majaphit Empire: With Palembang rebelling on the eve of his invasion of the neighboring Pajajaran Kingdom, Raja Hayam Wuruk has ordered his vassals, the Kingdom of Ketapang and Makassar to mobilize their levies to seize the territory in his name and combined they muster a force 11,250 men strong. The Majapahit Navy is ordered to blockade Pajajaran and Palembang with most of their assets committed to Pajajaran as it is the larger threat. The troops of Ketapang and Makassar are transported by a combined fleet, from Majapahit and its vassals (Majapahit contributes 19 jongs to fleet), to Palembang and travel down the Musi River depositing their troops on the western bank just before reaching Palembang. The fleet is the ordered to continue down the river and siege Palembang with their armaments consisting of cetbangs and rentakas as the 11,250 strong army proceeds on foot to attack the city (Mod Response/Algo). The Majapahit levy is raised consisting of 33,750 men and 30,000 of those men, under Mpu Nala (Legendary General, note: Nate approved), are ordered to proceed along the coastal regions and seize the town of Cirebon as a staging point for the invasion force with the remaining 3,750 being held in reserve. The troops committed to the invasion make use of cetbangs and rentakas mounted on ships that blockade Pajajaran to damage the town's infrastructure and attempt entry into the town as well (Mod Response/Algo). While the war is occurring, the trade guild established by the Raja last turn picks up traction among merchants due to the benefits it offers but membership entry is still relatively low as merchants are uncertain of the nature of the guild. As trading partners begin to express concern regard the religious restrictions for guild membership the requirements have been changed to specify that Muslims are not permitted to join. The government continues to patronize Buddhist/Hindu monks, but they remain confined to Java for the time being due to the commitment of Majapahit's fleet to two undertakings that require the bulk of their strength. The crown prince, Wikramawardhana, is appointed to serve as Nagara (governor) for a region on Java to give him experience in managing and running a Kingdom as a way to display his competence as a leader of men and kingdoms. Over the past two years, Majapahit has produced 24 Jongs along with 43 smaller vessels for its navy bringing its fleet up to 234 Jongs and 357 smaller vessels. The messenger ships in the royal governments employ have been released temporarily back to the navy to assist in supplementing their efforts across the region. Trade from the Molucca islands remains under the strict watch of Majapahit government in an effort to protect the valuable spices from those who would attempt to sidestep the government in trade. The garrison at Batam island begins to experience an increasing flux as traders and merchants flow through the garrison.
- Papal States: In a time where there is so many wars in Europe, Pope Sebastian I announces Catherine of Siena as Ambassador of Peace and asks her to visit Rome [MOD response needed, please]. The Stigmata of Ostia, Elena Cimorelli, also wants to meet Catherine. Seeing the anti-Spanish position of the last popes as excessive, the pope invites the king of España to a visit in Rome as an attempt to start a friendship with they [España response needed, please]. This year the Holy Father creates as cardinals János Kanizsai (Hungary), Pedro Martínez de Luna y Pérez de Gotor (España), Daoud II (Patriarch of the Maronite Church) and Robert Waldby (Ireland). With the situation in England, the pontiff writes to the English king asking for a solution, maybe a concordate [England response needed, please]. He also writes to Wycliffe and his followers, saying that he recognises some of his points, but the position about the Eucharist is incorrect [MOD response needed, please]. After a visit to France, Cardinal General Comissary Robert of Geneva is appaled by how much destruction the war is causing in his nation, and start to think that peace is the most important thing.
- Catherine agrees to come to Rome.
- Wycliffe does not change his mind. The Archbishop of Cantebury proceeds to censor his writings.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and cultural exchanges continue to finally slow down, although with the various market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy of the region. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into a more organic ethnicity. As the Tarascan forces continue to push the Zapotek army back, a number of priests visit the front lines, praising their victories and begin the process of changing the religion of Zapotek's population along occupied territory. Cazonci Nalhen, hearing about the successful campaign against the heresy that is the southern states, throws a large party to celebrate himself as the best Cazonci, the most powerful and competent representation of the holy Pantheon, and the true successor to Tariacuri. It is estimated during this period that musical instruments began to appear across Tarasca as some returning warriors bring back cultural artifacts of Zapotek and its culture. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh continues to raise her and the deceased priest Tepeu's children, Iuihua and Chen.
- Kingdom of Hungary and Dalmatia: King Stephen’s youngest sons come of age this year, and they shall be married off to other European noble houses. The youngest son, Imre proposes to the daughter of the Duke of Bavaria, while his older brother Lajos proposes to the daughter of the Serbian king. (SERBIA/BAVARIA/MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). Both would have the chance to enter a formal alliance with the wealthy and strong Hungarian state. The efforts toward a permanently standing army continue, when educational institutions and books are published to give more insight into the theoretical foundations of warfare.. The agricultural sector undergoes some reforms as well, with farmers who start to use modern farming techniques and/or volunteer for infrastructure projects are given tax cuts. Political Power begins to be centralized by nobles being invited to Budapest, where they assemble to take administrative decisions and take an advising role in the lawmaking process by reporting the news from their particular region, then advising on how to handle the reported problem. Instead of the politicians and nobles themselves, their relatives are often taken as ministers, making them effectively hostages of the King. (more to come - maybe).
- Isabella of Bavaria, daughter of Duke Stephen III is offered in marriage.
- Dragana of Serbia, daughter of Grand Prince Lazer is offered in marriage.
- Roman Empire: With peace finally concluded with Venice, the focus in the capital returns to internal reform. The Thema are released and the Tagmata return to their duties in Konstantinopolis. The veteran troops of the Tagmata who are reaching the age of retirement are granted un-settled lands across north west of the empire, serving each being given a lot of 40 acres and an ox. Additionally, levies who seek continued service in the Tagmata are promised similar lots of land preventing the total collapse of the Tagmata system due to heavy losses in the war. Reforms to the imperial bureaucracy continue and a meritocratic exam system is developed to ensure that new administrators are valuable additions. With the tax system streamlined and efficiency increasing the tax burden on the peasants is reduced considerably. In order to better estimate the tax and manpower base of the nation a census is ordered.[Mod Response] Tax collectors will be assisted by auditors and local magistrates in counting the urban and rural populations of the empire. The economy rebounds as new taxes on Venetian merchants drive a booming domestic merchant fleet. With major Crimean ports in Theodosia and Bosporos (Kerch) secured, trade from Russia and the orient is increasingly controlled from Konstantinopolis. To further develop this growth Basileus John V orders the construction of a merchant fleet of 160 ships in the most modern design. These ships will be leased to Roman merchants and serve the Empire in times of war and peace. Work will take place at the Arsenal of Konstantinopolis is expected to take the better part of a decade but when completed the fleet will rival that of even Venice. Although expensive the fleet is expected to pay for itself within a few years of its completion by opening new doors for trade. One such door lies due north in Dobruja, Basileae John V and Andonikos send an envoy to Dobrotitsa despot of Dobruja offering a guarantee of protection in exchange for access to Dobrujan ports free of taxation. The envoy will also offer to assist Dobruja will draining swamps, building ports, and modernizing its infrastructure for trade concessions on cereal crops including wheat, oats, and barley.[Mod Response] The Principality of Wallachia, the source of much of Dobruja’s grain is also targeted by the Basileae for trade agreements. An envoy arrives the the Wallachian capital, asking that they and the Dobrujans agree to terms in which grain destin for Roman ports might remain untaxed at the border between the two nations. In exchange the Basileae offer the Wallachians access to Roman supplies of luxury goods from the orient. [Mod & Wallachian Responses] A final apparent trade opportunity exists in the Principality of Theodoro. Envoys are sent to the principality seeking a trade access in exchange for protection or vassalization. [Mod Response] With these overtures to the northern trade partners of the empire concluded the outlook for Roman trade expansion appears positive.
- Wallachia accept to trade with Roman empire we're opening the bridge door on the port from the trade expansion of what they're requested.
- Population is estimated at 2,146,894.
- Despot Dobrotitsa of Dobrujah agrees.
- Kingdom of Portugal:Queen-regent Beatrice begins a huge increase of the navy after seeing the Mali upgrading their ships. Meanwhile, the wall surrounding the enclave of Gordes is finished and begi"ns to receive its troops, immigration to gordes is encouraged with both Portuguese and French being recognized languages there. Meanwhile, in Lisbon, a book named O conto de Pedro e Inês" begins circulating on the markets. It tells the romantic but true story of King Peter I and Queen Inez.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Heir to the Throne Feinsan Regier Reaches Maturity as he is now 16 years of age, Feinsan now working togheter with comanding the Cannonneers in the Heavy infantry core Togheter with Simba. Charles wanting to make Feinsan teach Simba in Lotharingian manners. Simba learning how to load a cannon and the commands that are fitted with them, these Commands being in Malines Germans. Some Special vocubulary being required to be Know by all Military commanders above the century, Charles trying to Improve Communication with this Action. Most of The new Vocabulary being Latin words who have been Addapted for Germans to understand Such as Zenturie and Zenturio. The choice for more Roman words is as a way to Continue the Romann Culture and Ideas of this new Lotharingian army, which looks at the Ancient days as lost glory. One Way the King tries to make use of Roman efficiency is by centralising, Charles looking into the Roman Republic and or Republican institutions as inspiration. Charles now Creating the Senatus Lotharingiae, thus dismissing Parliament offering all Mercators seats in the new Senate. While Giving the principes the choice of either becoming Ministers and the administrators with their own Salarary, thus offering less responsibility and more rights. Charles giving the Comands to the Königliche Garde Johanns des Siegreichen, to Make ready and prepare for possible conflict. As the King wants to prevent Nobles to take arms, Charles wishing for them to join the Administrative classes. As a More Centralised Kingdom is in need of people who can write documents such as taxation, government contracts and General notable news. News of Hendrickus Pisacus's death finaly reaches Aachen where upon hearing it, The King saddens a bit as even tough he betrayed Lotharingia he could do what no other men ever could do before. He explored lands further then any citizen of Lotharingia is known to explore, he brought knowledge about Blackpower, Gold and spices. With years of time and pure Peasant Determination, working men of Zeeland, Holland and Frisia is able to end the floods. They have done it by using windmills and large screws combined with damns to move most watter from flooded area, where after they would grow reets and other water demanding plants. This would cause them to soak up most of the water, the farmers would then burn these reets. This burning creating a fertille new compost which is able to actualy grow food. The Nubian knights of Saint Nicolas of Bari gain their first Members some Syrian and Levantine Christians who do not feel safe, and sought to free their families and comunities lost over the sea. These new members making the Military wing of the order number 50 knights in total, although this is quite small, it is enough to defend the actual Monastery from raiders and angry Merchants.
- Kingdom of Padania (I guess): The families of Medici and Spinola arrange a marriage between the current head of the Medici Family Lorenzo and the current head of the Spinola family Andrea Spinola’s sister Catherine. Lorenzo takes the throne and declares his rulership from Milan to Genoa to Florence and even down to the borders of Pisa and Sienna with the Papacy. He requests the pope attend this coronation. (Papal response needed). He Declares all non Tuscan land conquered by Cassono as no longer a part of Padania. And states that these nations may do as they please with their government he also states that the core territory of Venice as previously outlined in the treaty of Verona to be under the control of the Council of Ten and Venice. Within a week of the new year every member of the della torre family besides the eldest daughter is found dead presumably at the hands of the master assassin of florence and his fellow assassins. The eldest daughter is married to Lorenzo's eldest son Antoine. As a way of securing the throne. Pisa and sienna both tired of rule from so far away unite and form a government of their own as a new Republican government of Sienna and Pisa seeing little choice Lorenzo accepts this new ruling. A council of six men from the six largest and most influential merchant families forms, this council becomes known as the council of padania. They are set to elect the new doge and serve as advisers to the doge. Art in Tuscany features multiple pieces of depicting Cassono as a lion or tiger and then showing a map of Italy as a prey animal. Followed by this unkown figure known as the sceptre as a hunter tracking the Lion or Tiger to kill him. Philosophically Tuscany continues to rediscover and adapt Greek philosophy to their own lives.
- Dai Viet: After his successful operation in the former Khmer Empire and his success pacifying the region, the general Kiều Sơn Hà is promoted by Emperor Chinh to the position of General of the Imperial army. In addition to making Thuyên the commander of Viet's existing forces, the position gives him the power to better organize and increase the size. Notably, Kiều begins to ensure the broader distribution of gunpowder weapons to the Viet forces, especially in the more developed northern regions of the Kingdom. Cannons begin to become more commonplace, with Kiều ramping up manufacturing in and around the imperial citadel, and continuing the manufacture of smaller handheld weapons, ensuring the whole of the Imperial Army can be equipped. Kiều also begins to fortify more Viet cities, to expel any potential invasion. In particular, Imperial Citidal in Thăng Long receives more defenses and a stronger garrison consisting of the elite Scarlet Dragons, but the general plans to equip most cities of significance with at least a few cannons over the coming decade or so. Kiều continues the policy of keeping gunpowder a classified secret to prevent its spread, and makes sure gunpowder is produced in multiple stages to make it nearly impossible to steal. Under Kiềun's command, the Viet Imperial Army stands is structured to include 20,000 professional soldiers, with 30,000 more owing only limited service per year, or during war time. With the navy standing at 145 small ships, Kiều also begins work there. Champan ship yards are instructed to begin production of more advanced ships. More importantly, Emperor Chinh sends an envoy to Japan requesting assistance in expanding the size and capacity of Viet and Champan shipyards (Japanese Response), hoping to be able to produce larger more powerful ships in the near future. In addition, the garrison at Riau Island is complete, securing Viet trade in the region. While the Emperor waits for his own navy to expand in power, he continues to rely on Champan forces to secure trade, which continues will our neighbors. In addition to merchant ships, the Emperor begins to focus on spreading trade over land, begingin to make sure merchants are sent to all nearby nations. After his crucial experience in Khmer and Angkor, Prince Quan is recalled to the Imperial Court in Thăng Long to take o his relevant administration duties. The Prince is currently responsible for agriculture in the Kingdom, under the guidance of a few of the Emperor's trusted advisors. Sugarcane and Barley continue their spread through the Empire and are used to cycle crops, making harvests more effective. Quan uses his limited budget to subsidize the implementation of this system, but also continues the spread of floating rice across the Kingdom, which allows for higher yields, especially after effective crop cycling. Meanwhile, in a city called Tan Ap, rumors spread of a young boy called Soma, claimed to have mystical healing powers. Interested, a local noble named Thuyên Tông takes the orphaned boy under his wing, allowing him to learn at a nearby Buddhist temple, while practicing his healing. Fascinated by the obvious affect of the boy, several Buddhist Monks and nearby villages begin to listen to Soma's somewhat unusual teachings. Support continues for the King of Lavo in his efforts to secede the throne of Ayutthaya, with the emperor providing resources for Ramesuan to stabilize his power base in Lavo.
- Angkorian Kingdom (Vassal of Dai Viet): King Damkhat continues to work under the perview of Dai Viet. Miltiary presense is minimal, but the kingdom begins to adopt the cycling of rice with sugarcane and barely, albeit at a slower rate than the kingdom proper
- Japanese Dip: We agree.
- Kingdom of France: A number of people are promoted to high positions on the king's council this year, including Simon Pierrat, treasurer; Louis de Verley, Marshal of France; and Hamericus de Guignes, spymaster. King Louis X begins efforts to consolidate Normandy and contain the plots of Charles I, Count of Evereux, whose foreign sympathies and opportunism are well-known. Hamericus de Guignes uncovers an adulterous relationship between the count and an English mistress named Coline Bain, which, it is hoped, will spark a public scandal. Fed up with these games, Charles of Evereux grows increasingly cold to the French king, and opens a secret correspondence with the English. In other news, infrastructure is improved and a great deal of available funding is put into rebuilding parts of the country that were damaged during the war. With the rising popularity of Guillaume de Machaut's compositions, Machaut is offered the role of messenger in service of the king; however, he declines it in favor of a separate offer by Charles of Evereux, much to the dismay of the court.
- Nyazwe: The government continues to rebuild the southern districts of the country, reintroducing state institutions back into the region and assisting the locals restore their farmlands, roads, and communities. New governors arrive throughout the south to take up their roles as administrators, and bringing the land back into civil compliance with the Faraic philosophies guiding the policies of the state. The city of Akashinga is designated as the new southern capital of the Chamhembe region south of the Limpopo River and east of the Kalahari Desert, with the local gungano district assemblies sending their representatives to the city once a year to meet with the Zvakane and present their issues to him. Resettlement of the Nguni peoples throughout the south into other regions of the country continues, with most of the non-Shona population being absorbed into the larger culture of Nyazwe. Nguni women are forced into marriages with Shona men, Nguni children sent off to schools across the country and taught a language and culture distinct from their ancestors, and the few remaining Nguni men sent off to toil away in the various gold, copper, and coal mines of the country away from their families. In the north, a second armory is constructed in the city of Tsindi, along with a new state mint to help expand the treasury with the increase levels of gold extracted in the country. In light of the renewed economic expansion in the country, the Hamadzese has felt the need to find ways in which to better match the skills of the foreign nations the country's traders constantly speak of with both fear and awe. Information related to the advanced agricultural practices of the foreigners such as crop rotation, irrigation, and organization of land management are of particular interest to the people of Nyazwe. While the land has been divided in a highly-systematic manner since the days of King Kutonga of the old monarchy period, the other aspects of land usage in foreign lands surpass anything found in Nyazwe, and a delegation is prepared to travel to Egypt, India, Ethiopia, and China, to see how these breadbaskets of humanity as stated by the Arab and Indian traders in Nyazwe, manage their fields and harvests. Elsewhere, Kusvika, arrives in the port city of Alexandria following his period of rest in Cairo. As with Cairo, Kusvika finds the sights and sounds of the port to be outstanding, witnessing the many vessels docked at the city and the countless goods being loaded and unloaded by the dock workers. Drawing parallels with his home city of Muromo Wenyika, and his more recent experiences in the cities of Mombasa, Kilwa, and Aden, Kusvika finds the vast amount of cargo moving through the city to be bewildering, and inquires of the local overseers how they manage the capacity at the port. Taking extensive notes from the men he speaks with, Kusvika plans to speak on these issues back home once the time has come for him to return to Nyazwe. In the meantime, he spends a great deal of time exploring the city and documenting its history and the culture of the populace.
- Japanese Empire: The rise of the Kensei order in the aftermatch of the Kitakyushu battle has been not just noticed but seriously dynamic. Going from its original 1,000 strong membership just following the battle, its numbers have swelled to nearly 5,000 and their services are requested across Japan. They do, however, erect another great temple dedicated to Hachiman on the Island of Kyushu a few miles outside of Nagasaki and with nearly 1,000 members now operating on the island, the fall in banditry and raiding by the small amount of remaining rebels decreases significantly. This is due in part to their amazing swordskills and specifically in the fact that many of these Order Ronin are worth nearly ten of the men they face in battle. In a sharp turn this year, the Emperor Yoshishege declares an imperial sponsored visit to China specifically to bring the two courts closer together but on a personal note visit hit Sister Miyuki who has propsered in China. The expansion of the civil service system into an all encompassing organization continues as more administrators are sent out to other provinces of Japan to take over from noble duties allowing the nobles to pay attention more to their lands rather than the surrounding lands they had been de-facto governing but not ruling due to much of this land paying its taxes directly to the Emperor. Kansai (more affectionately known as the direct lands of the Emperor) Chubu and Chugoku are the first outside of the Kyushu reorganizational regional government to receive these civil administrators who assume more and more duties from their noble counterparts who are bought out with more provisions of power within the Councillor general allowing them to vote directly on legislative bills regarding regional issues effectively giving them some say in how the administrative functions of their provinces are run. This is only rolled out to the provinces currently being administrated or directly transferred over to the civil administrators for this. The trade with South east asia and Indonesia increases as the arrival of the long distance patrol fleet known collectively as the "South Seas Fleet" begins securing and escorting trade fleets through the region. The establishment of further trade contacts on the Luzon islands sees a few small communities develop within the ports of the established kingdoms who manage to purchase warehouses to increase the amount of trade flowing in and out of the islands. The reconstruction of Kyushu continues with the cities of Kitakyushu, Kumamoto, and Nagasaki the primary areas of fighting having been fully repaired structurally speaking. The relative calm following the rebellion has allowed all the affected towns and cities in the region to begin recovering demographically from the rebellion. More developments in Sakhalin expand the cities and towns and give some development to the island as settlers this year take up residence in the islands northern reaches. After a new wave of exploration to the north Kamchatka is discovered and the large island off its coast is claimed and a small resupply outpost is established with intent for the Hachinohe trade guilds to secure a charter for exploring and establishing infrastructure to potentially settle, trade, and extract furs from the territory. With reports of raids into Northern Manchuria, the Japanese garrison in Amuraji continually upgrades and expands the settlements defensive fortifications starting a 2nd ring to the defensive walls and clearing many trees to give an open view. A lookout tower is also constructed on a nearby hill to warn of potential attack. The further developments in Manchuria sees a new road develop known simply as the "River Road" which follows the Amur River down to Aimoi. It's not effectively an established road but more the most well-trodden path from Aimoi to Amuraji to facilitate quicker movement up to the settlement and allow resupply of needed goods. The Fur trade expanding into Siberia continues to grow as hired manchus and enterprising Japanese range father into the territory to secure furs establishing some contact with the sparse native populations in the area trading finished iron or steel goods for furs or simply promising good payment to the natives in terms of goods for the furs which are in high demand farther south.
Pope Sebastian dies, being a relatively brief papacy after the political instability of 1374. A new conclave is held to vote for a new pope.
Emperor Charles IV of Germany dies, and is succeeded as King of Lothraingia and Count of Luxembourg by his son, Vincent. A new imperial diet is held to elect a new King of Germany, which most continue to support the House of Luxembourg. In Lothraingia, the Heyst Council signs a petition of nobles to the new King, suggesting that their salaries should be increased in order to compensate for the commoners being added to the government.
John Wycliffe continues to translate the Bible into English, which he specifically takes such wording to support his idea of the eucharist. His theology takes further shape, denying the existence of purgatory and suggesting priestly celibacy is detrimental. His works are censored by the Archbishop of Cantebury, but he sends his theses to Parliament in attempt to have them legislated by the government. However, he is greatly unpopular among the clergy and most of the Royal Council.
Tired of years of Milan suppression, a popular uprising of Ciompi manual laborers takes place in the city of Florence. They are led by an oligarchy of unguilded woolworkers called "The Eight Saints". Salvestro d'Medici also becomes a prominent leader in the revolt, hoping to seprate Tuscany from the influence of his maternal relatives in the Torre family.
The Four Oirot Khanate continues to attack Mongolia and take more land from the east, also raiding the northern parts of Manchuria.
Timor manages to succeed in his campaign in Kazakhstan, and puts his candidate Tokhtamysh on the throne.
The Golden Horde sends riaiding parties through Hungarian Moldavia and the disunified Wallachia to attack Bulgaria, taking the city of Ithiman.
A comet is seen in the sky for a few weeks (Halley's Comet), which is seen as a very bad omen by astrologers. It is enshrined in a painting made in Ferrara depicting the adoration of the Magi.
King David II of Scotland dies, and is succeeded by his son Robert II.
- The Iroquois Confederacy: We start to hunt and move around out nation more, we make more worshiping places around out nations we start to have more oral and cultural exchanges with each other, we start to trap animals for fur, we start to make a lot of weapons for the future, we build more longhouses around the nation, peace for now is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each Tribe. This also develops major cultural connections within the Five Tribes, we also pass down many stories, we expand moderately southwest and make peaceful contact with any tribes there, We offer an alliance to any tribes near us (mod response), we see the fire in the sky going east and an elder says a great white demon will come out of it. This is the region of Hiawatha
- All the nearby tribes are friendly and trade you fur.
- Tian China: A great tragedy occurs this year, leading to nationwide mourning, when the great Emperor Zhiyěmán dies of a fever, his body unable to handle the sickness as his old age had left him frail. His son, Prince Shang, takes over afterwords, as his father had stated he desired in his will and made obvious beforehand, and officially becomes known (By his own decree) as the Guāngróng Emperor. Although many expected him tobring his advisors with him from Beijing when he became Emperor (Due to his well-known ineptitude for actual ruling), he suprises everyone by refusing to do so, demanding that even his wife stay at their posts and not relinquishing his title as Govenor of Hebei, despite his obvious inability to rule it from Luoyang. This also causes a great falling out with his wife (whom had previously been essentially running the province for him), and her occasional apperences at court to support her husband slowly lessen in number and stop after this, leading many to see her unnoficially presense in Beijing as a form of exile in a province which is viewed as backwater and Mongol-infested (Despite neither of these really being true). He also appoints his brother Xuanye as "Govenor of Mongolia" (Meaning Inner Mongolia) and sends him into a sort of unnoficial exile as well, as it is well-known that he hates his brother and he is secretly jealous of him, a move that is vastly unpopular at court due to Xuanye's own popularity and fame for his leadership in fighting Manchurian and Mongol raids on China both before and after the war with the Mongols, and his leadership in the La Xang war and 4th Sino-Mongolian war, while Shang increasingly comes to be viewed as an incompetent. Some even begin to whisper that his brother should be the emperor rather than him, especially with his open whoring and frequent drunkeness, which many view as behaivour unworthy of the office of the son of heaven. He also proves to be inept diplomatically, receiving the begging of King No U and laughing in his face about it, humiliating him in front of the entire Chinese court and causing him to leave Luoyang enraged with the Emperor, turning him into an unnoficial enemy when he could have been a major ally and sourse of wealth for China, making many begin to doubt his leadership even more. His wife Miyuki, the person unofficially running Hebei, however, proves toobe much more savy, meeting with No U while he is passing through Beijing on his way back from Luoyang, and giving him several gifts while promising to personally invest in Korea, making a political ally in the process. Historians now believe she did this both to spite her husband, whose hatred it was well-known to be mutual, and as a political move to gain further support for herself for her latter actions. Meanwhile, in outer Mongolia and Manchuria, Xuanye ensures the continued cooperation of the Mongol nobility in the region, making sure to reward them for their cooperation and beginning working to establish better relations with them after his previous role in fighting them, establishing personal friendships with a number of them as both sides find common ground in their warrior attitudes and passion for horsemanship, with both sides being very surprised but simultaneously delighted by the amount they have in common despite cultural bounderies. This will help to esure the cooperation of the local leadership and tribes with Chinese leadership in the region. This is especially true once the Four Oriat Khanate begins raiding Outer Mongolia, as they and the Chinese soldiers in the region are forced to cooperate together to fight against the raiders attempting to pillage the region, also helping to form bonds between common soldiers both Mongol and Chinese, and to strengthen the bonds between Xuanye and several of the local leaders even more. In the meantime, trade with the Lieusing islands also continues, and a fair amount of money is made from doing so.
- Burgundy: Diplomatic relations continue to be built among other French vassals, with the envoys in Anjou and Maine reiterating the Burgundian desire for an alliance, first expressed in 1376 (MOD RESPONSE, please). Meanwhile, the Duke is increasingly frustrated by efforts to isolate Burgundy, and decides to a concerted effort must be made to gain favor with the English and Hispanians, and to that end he sends diplomats to be received in their respective royal courts. The economy continues to progress this year, and a daughter is born to Duchess Margaret and Duke Philip the Bold.
- Duke Louis I of Anjou agrees to alliance (who is also Count of Maine).
- Tarascan-Toltec Empire: In this year, 1378, Tarascan military forces finally hunt down and eradicate the final remnants of the Zapotek military, executing the Zapotek Tlatoani, Teitac, and enslaving the remnants of his falsely divine dynasty. The final Zapotek-held city, Tapachul, falls under the might of thousands of Tarascan arrows, blocking out the sunlight and bringing upon death immeasurable. The remnants of the once prospering Zapotek civilization are ransacked as warriors begin settling into their newly acquired territory, built by those before them and stolen through the brute force of religious conflict. Cazonci Nalhen's two children, Necalli and Nelli, are sent to the recently conquered state of Zapotek to learn under Tonauac. However, by their arrival, it is discovered that he had died moons prior, during the first season of the year. His successor, Tonalcotzin, takes the children under his wing, showing them the wealth and power obtained through a macuahuitl and chīmalli. Cazonci Nalhen, himself, remains very indulgent on his victory, going to great lengths while seduced by Auicamine to remain in total embellishment of his own self and ego. Although Zapotek has fallen, it remains within the control of various warlords and warrior-generals, although, their rule is more powerful than Nalhen's own in the region, based on them being their and Nalhen being in Tarasca. This, however, doesn't point toward a problem at the moment, however, discontent will soon brew among the higher nobles, as the various factions of lords begin taking power into their own hands. Meanwhile, in Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh and Tepeu's child, Iuihua, has an epiphany. With nothing more than a scribe and a battered and partially broken macuahuitl, he ventures forth into the lands of Chichimeca late at night, leaving a message of his absence to not worry Iuizoh or Yaluk I. While walking along the highlands, he stumbles across a village of nomadic people. He speaks with them, growing with them over a few moons and preaching about Teōmaticolli, the stories of Izel in the urban settlement of Tzintzuntzáni, and helping them with local issues. One morning, a group of nomadic raiders stormed into the town, demanding a payment of tribute. Iuihua emerges from his hut, instead offering himself as payment for the town, saying that with the power of Curicaveri, he will be immortal for he has done nothing wrong. At this point, it is recorded that all of the raiders laughed at him, raising their spears to aim at him. Upon the spears being launched, however, it was recorded that a great gust of wind knocked their spears just below Iuihua's feet, as well as knocking them off their own feet and tossing them down a short hill. Upon their return, the warriors looked onto Iuihua as a diety, falling to their feet and worshipping him. Iuihua states, to these men, that he is no diety, that he only has his faith in Curicaveri. The warriors envy this, wishing to learn more about such power through faith. Iuihua preaches to them, a sermon about the martyring of Izel and his teachings. The warriors praise this, and by nightfall, take Iuihua to their original village (OTL Durango), to seek an audience with their Cazonci. Upon arrival, Iuihua meets with the Chichimecan Cazonci, Padira, to discuss the raiding on his village. Their conversation turns toward religion and the "miracle" seen by the warriors, with Iuihua stating that there is no real power in this world, only faith, elaborating that the rumored Tarascan expansion is not caused by faith, only by greed. Faith, itself, is power, and that true faith will give true power. Sticks and stones can broke bones, but faith will ensure immortality: the true power. Cazonci Padira, persuaded most likely by the fact that Iuihua was good looking and his homosexuality being downplayed in historical texts, accepts this as true. With this, Iuihua begins regular preaching to Padira and his nobles, as well as the general population since Iuihua refuses to live inside of the palace, opting instead for a small and obscure wooden hut near the edge of the village.
- Empire of Ethiopia: Following the second defeat at Kelafo, the Emperor and War Council must face the fact they cannot realistically capture Kelafo with only 11,000 men left out of the 29,000 strong army brought into Somalia. In order to end the campaign and bring peace to southern Somalia, the Emperor offers a peace agreement to the rebels. The rebels in Kelafo will be allowed to exist as the Sultanate of Kelafo, a sovereign state free of Ethiopian rule in the Ogaden region. This state will exist separate from the Kingdom of Ajuran, which will exist as a vassal to the Ethiopian Empire and rule all coastal areas of southern Somalia. Ethiopia will also sign a 10-year non-aggression-pact with the Sultanate of Kelafo if they accept this truce [MOD RESPONSE NEEDED]. Domestically, Ethiopia continues to promote its burgeoning cotton farms, with Hindustan and Ethiopian farmers working together to expand the cotton farms. The Ethiopian merchant’s guild continues to trade with Hindustan and Egypt, bringing a continuous stream of high valued goods to Ethiopia and East Africa. Additionally, the presence of so many Ethiopian ports at the mouth of the Red Sea provides numerous places for merchants to rest before embarking for Egypt or India. These merchants must pay a small tribute to the Empire for using Ethiopia’s ports for rest and comfort. The University of Barari continues to teach the nobility and upper class of Ethiopia, with a curriculum formed by the coptic scholars who fled Egypt. This curriculum emphasizes mathematics, history, philosophy, and science. Other academia taught includes more specific classes on navigation, shipbuilding, engineering, architecture, and more. One Ethiopian historian, an aging scholar named Kedrus Tewodros, begins compiling and writing a thorough history Ethiopia, beginning with its roots in the ancient Aksumite kingdom and detailing its modern day campaigns against the Muslim states. Largely adding to the Kebra Nagast, Tewodros begins writing on Ethiopia’s conquests, writing on Amda Seyon’s first victory at Zeila to the recent wars against the Somali tribes in the Horn. In Europe, Ethiopia gifts the King of France a copy of the Kebra Nagast in Greek, a long and detailed history of Ethiopia and a study of its religious beliefs. They also tell him of their struggles against the Muslims and how they have managed to establish Christianity as a powerful religion in the area. The delegation enjoys the hospitality of the French monarch as he feasts and hosts the envoys. Continuing their mission of intelligence gathering, the delegation continues to buy maps and learn knowledge of France, its people, culture and history.
- Kelafo accepts the truce
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council continues to pay close attention to the internal conflicts of Padania. While supportive of the Milanese government due to their trade alliance existing since 1333, the Central Council does not intervene in the conflicts at this stage. However, the joint military fortifies the southern border of the nation in the Cantons of Sion, Uri and Chur to help prevent fighting from spilling over into Switzerland. The new Canton of Fribourg is given a seat on the Central Council, expanding its size to 26 members (including 23 cantons). While Aragonese playing cards are banned in Switzerland at the request of German monks, as this aligns with the Central Council's anti-Hispanian stance, the Bern Library decides to take advantage of this situation by using printing blocks to create their own playing cards. The Canton of Bern sends an envoy to the small lordship of Grasburg Castle located in between the Swiss Cantons of Bern and Fribourg, suggesting Grasburg join the Canton of Bern for logistical benefit (as it is entirely surrounded by Swiss cantons) and for access to better infrastructure. (Mod response) With the cementing of the alliance between the Swiss Confederacy and the County of Savoy, the Central Council assures Savoy they would militarily aid them if conflict arises between Savoy and other French states sometime in the near future. Domestically, the government works on improving the wool production in the nation to provide more trade goods for export. In discussions between the city of Basel and the Bishop of Basel Ludovico Mazzo, the idea of founding a university in Basel starts to be raised. The guild of Zürich, not wanted to be outcompeted by Basel, increasing funding for the Zürich Library and try to attract scholars, including from the St. Augustine University in the Papal States, to the library. (Papal States response, if needed) Heinrich II von Lenzburg and Catherine of Nassau-Wiesbaden have a third child, a daughter named Sophia (b. 1378).
- Papal Diplomacy: Some scholars from St. Augustine University are sent to Zürich.
- Grasburg agrees.
- Roman Empire: The sudden incursion of Mongols in Bulgaria creates panic in the border towns as Bulgarian refugees spread word of the impressive army. Strategos Zeno Akropolites is given command of a small scouting force of 150 lightly armed horsemen and sent to Bulgaria to gather information regarding the size, composition, and organization of the Monogol forces.[Mod Response] While Zeno Akropolites searches for the enemy, Strategos Georgius Stauricius works feverously to develop a battle plan able to counter traditional Mongol horsemen. He studies historical accounts, ancient treatise on war, and modern descriptions of Mongol tactics before settling on a doctrine of “Combined Arms” in which a front line of armored spearmen armed with Menaulions (3.2 meter long spears with a 50cm bladed tip) and large shields would protect ranks of crossbowmen supported by shield-bearers to protect them from incoming arrows. The shields suggested for the task resembles the ancient Roman Scutum but larger and more heavily reinforced. The tactics provide an unmounted force some means of countering the horse archers and lancers of the Golden Horde. Unfortunately, the empire is in no state to fight a war, and while the Themes are instructed to begin training levies in the new tactics there is a severe shortage of men to fill the ranks. Estimates from the Themes indicate that perhaps 4,000 men could be raised in the European provinces in addition to the Tagmata. The Mongol incursion through Moldova and Wallachia also disrupts the nascent trade in grain from the Danube Valley. While Dobruja seems to escape the worst of the pillaging trade in that remains largely disrupted. Overall, the economy is unsteady with trade disrupted by war and production disrupted by refugees and fear of the Mongols. Although many families and towns continue to recover from the previous war, the glimpse at prosperity has faded somewhat in the trading halls and markets of Konstantinopolis.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: A worried time that the Mongols come back in the Balkan Civil war takes time Unified Wallachia and Fights Invaders Otlenia is trying to break free one of the people in this region wants freedom that one day the Wallachia will send soldiers from Otlenia to start unification again which the Mongols interrupt us the Habsburgs indicates, that the Mongols come until Asia in Middle East panic in Bulgaria seeing that the Roman Empire protects us for the south the Habsburgs controls the central part of our region somewhat the Duke of Transylvania send Hungarian soldier to defend the whole region as well one of the Hungarian tactics is improved is made for the civil war unification war Albert III of Austria and the Arpad Dynasty worried about the future of the two countries of Wallachia and Moldova most of shield are being done constructed and ready to go from soldier German or Hungarian in Otlenia the economy of Moldova is in very serious fail and the voidove of it the voivode from Moldova exiles in Hungary, for weeks later the Germans being to occupy the southern border of Wallachia toward the Mongol the Saxons built a new type of armor to defend against the Mongol and the GoldenHordes the north of Wallachia is in calm and protected by the Habsburgs by Albert III look at the opinions of Vladislav I speak that '' the Mongol '' wants to take our region for economic destruction of the system of our country.
- Majapahit Empire: The invading army at Cirebon, now numbering at 26,000 men after the last year spent fighting, continue to assault the town under Mpu Nala (legendary general) due to its value to the invasion plans which require it as a vital staging point for the invasions push further inland into Pajajaran with the Majaphit Navy continuing to barrage the defenders in the town.(Mod Response/Algo). The vassal troops, numbering at 9,000 men, sent to pacify and vassalize Palembang continue to assault the city with the support of the allied fleet, which lays down a rain of fire from the Musi River onto the defenders (Mod Response/Algo). The state sponsored guild continues to witness an increase in merchants who join its ranks due to its rather inclusive natire religiously with Muslim merchants remaining excluded due to their stubborn refusal to convert religions as well as their refusal to conduct trade in Javanese being proud of their heritage and culture with those that still trade within Majapahit submitting themselves to the Perdagangan tax which is used to fill Majapahit's treasury with a portion of it being allocated to the guild bank which in turn fuels guild enterprises proving its value and usefulness for now. The Agama tax, applies only to residents of Majapahit, remains in effect across Majapahit territory serving as an effective deterrent to those leaving Hinduism/Buddhism and a valauble incentive to convert to Buddhism/Hinduism as many wish to avoid the tax. Wikramawardhana continues to act as a governor in one of Majapahit's regions and proves himself quite capable at adminsistrative work setting the concerns of both nobles and administrators to rest for the time being. Concerns start to appear in Hayam Wuruk of a portion of the royal family building a center of power to the East and starts to address the issue with the Rakryan Mantri ri Pakira-kiran (minister council) in an attempt to find solutions to resolve the situation. The shipyards have managed to turn out 13 jongs this year but have only managed to complete 14 smaller craft due to the prioritizing of resources being focused on jong ships. News reaches Majapahit of the incompetent Emperor who has risen to power in China raising concerns over China as a reliable partner in trade for Majapahit with the issue becoming the topic of discussion among the royal court as nobles and adminsitrators debate possible solutions, alternative partners, and far-fetched dreams of intervention in the matter. Hindu/Buddhist monks are still under royal patronage and make efforts to convert the few who had made decision to convince Muslim converts on Majapahit to return to the religions of their ancestors attempting to appeal the respect for elders prevalent in the region. Raja Hayam Wuruk has started to provide support to monks to write Sanskrit manuscripts and the like detailing either Hinduism or Buddhism through statement of philosophy, doctrine, morals, and even tales/stories associated with the religions in an effort to appeal to the few nobles who had converted to Islam. Hand cannons continue to be produced and distributed among small pockets of the Majapahit Army that have received the necessary training to handle the weapons improving their effectiveness on the battlefield. Foundries across Majapahit continue to forge cetbangs and rentakas which are used as replacement for broken cetbangs/rentakas, given to merchants who are a part of the guild (rentakas specifically), and set aside for storage for future use.
- Sweden-Norway: King Haakon prepares in secrecy to ensure that his son, Prince Olaf, will be elected king of Sweden and Norway upon his death, as Olaf had already been crowned King of Denmark a few years before. Birger Gregersson completes his biography of Bridget. The work continues on the road from Stockholm to Jonkoping. This year's harvest proves to be bountiful, as the royal coffers expand.
- Iceland: The Archduke decides to distribute 750 people to the Baffin colony and the governor claims Lower Savage Island, Atpakot Island and Edgell Island. 500 people are sent to Jan Mayen and 4,500 are sent to Greenland. Wycliffe is invited to live in Iceland in a small Manor and be the Court Chaplain and Tudor.(mod response needed). Ólafur votes for Ireland as Aurmudur.
- Wycliffe rejects the offer, wishing to remain in his home country of England.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II was able to marry his daughter Alison Bruce with Duke Christian V of Oldenburg last year before he passed from life after a long and happy life, the nation mourns in the wake of his passing. His son Robert II Bruce succeeds to the throne, hoping to became as successfull as his father was, if not even surpass him and shape his own legacy. His first act is to reaffirm ties with his ally and brother-in-law Duke Christian V of Oldenburg. King Robert also casts his vote for the office of Ameraudur of the Celtic Confederacy for High King Eoghan of Eiru. We start increasing the number of settlers we providing Iceland with to a steady flow of 100 settlers for Greenland and the rest of their colonies each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. We start to witness the emerging Lollard community in neighbouring England. King Robert II takes admiration in some of John Wycliffe's thesis as groundbreaking, although after carefull study of the Lollard doctrine he hesitates to endorse it keeping his reservations about some of the more extreme Lollard doctrines. Nonetheless he tolerates their existance in our domain, allowing them to take hold and preach their ideas. [Mod Response] King Robert II continues to enforce his father's decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. All the effort made for the previous one and a half plus decades has led to very positive results, the vast majority of the court prefers to speak Gaelic Scottish by now. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King Robert II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as it's strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. We make a proposal to our ally Duke Christian V of Oldenburg, offering him the exclusive right to import Scottish goods through his domain and distribute them to the entirety of the Holy Roman Empire. [Mod Response]
- Kingdom of Hungary and Dalmatia: The princesses of Bavaria and Serbia are accepted for the marriage of the princes, the festivities are one of the largest of the year in all of Central Europe, as both marriages are celebrated at the same day in August. With good ties now assured to the neighbour in the south, King Stephen IV can focus entirely on the new threat in the north, where Mongol hordes have invaded Moldova. HE musters a force of 30,000 men to secure cities in the region, setting up defensive positions and to finally drive the Mongols out. These defensive positions like a series of quickly built forts to keep them from retreating out of the country. The Serbian allies are asked to let the Hungarians march through their lands, to exterminate the Mongol threat (SERBIA/MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). The armies meat near the city of Ihtiman. Knowing that the Mongols largely use light cavalry to fight, heavy infantry, pike formations and light cavalry is used against them. The battleground in a valley near Ihtiman is also in the advantage of the Hungarians with Ihtiman being inside a valley, in which the Mongols cannot fully exploit the power of their cavalry, while Hungary takes a position in a higher elevation. They will also be forced into a direct close combat, fending off arrows with shield walls and formations that are looser first and packed closer when the battle continues (ALGO, PLEASE). After the battle, the Army will prepare for a siege of the city, to wear down Mongol moral and fighting capabilities. trebuchets, wall drills and rams are prepared, too.
- Kingdom of Eiru: Ameraudur and High King Tighearnach dies and is succeeded by his son Eoghan as High King while in the election he casts his vote for next Ameraudur for himself. As fighting between East and West Breifne continues Thomas mac Edmond Albanach de Burca of the Mayo Burkes comes out in support of East Briefne while Áedh Ó Flaithbheartaigh of Iar Connacht joins against the Mayo Burkes and the King of Connacht is largely unable to stop the escalating violence the High King calls a discussion about intervening in this evolving dispute.
- Republic of Padania: The newly re-founded Padanian Republic dispatches three medici diplomats to negotiate with the rebellion, the terms include the movement of the capital from Milan to Florence as well as other things such as increased opportunities for non merchant families and other things along these lines. Tuscan artists continue on this dark foreboding sadistic art path with many showing the unkown Sceptre as a shepherd and Florence as his sheep. With evil monsters crashing into the walls representing a large variety of threats. On the Eastern part of Florence a shrine with requests for people to be killed is built for the Sceptre and every day written pieces show up and every night they disappear. Multiple key members of the rebellion are killed prior to the Meeting between the Medici diplomats and the rebellion. (Mod response needed).
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": The king is Death Long live the King, Feinsan becomes Rex Lotharii. This just as Charles being a new unique orriginal name inside the kingdom, As the kings try to make each rule more Unique and more personal. Although plans are often multigenerational deeds, they are planned to be closer to the people. One of these new plans is the Senatorial reforms Parliament of Mechelen into the Senatus Lotharingiae, getting rid of the Nobles in the Actual base of power. Making them rich upper class administrators who write all the required information for an efective rule, this including better taxation and making laws clearer in the whole kingdom. Ending the Regional information gaps that exist, due to lack of written evidence combined with hear say. King Feinsan promising to the Nobility higher pay and job security, promesing they cannot be fired for just on wim. These members only being able to be fired if they are corrupt or treacherous, and only in the worst cases will those be punished with more then sing their jobs. The old Parliament of Mechelen being disbanded and a Heyst Constitution annuled, a new treaty of rights and duties being allowed to be made by the new Senate. The idea being that the Senate togheter with the king can set up their own common base on all that needs to be. One of the First decrees Feinsan does is Promoting Simba to the Königliche Garde Johanns des Siegreichen as part of his Personal Royal defense. As Feinsan and Simba both served in the same units while they were learning the skill of the cannon. Feinsan trying to reset the whole Royal organisation as to be more efficient, and less costing on the state.
- Kingdom of France: The plots of Charles of Evereux unravel when his mistress, Coline Bain, secretly reveals his location to the government. Charles is ambushed on the road, and a bag containing his secret correspondence with the English along with several anti-French treaty drafts are confiscated. Their discovery provides the cause for Louis X to seize the duke's lands in Normandy and place them under royal control.
- Dai Viet: After his successful operation in the former Khmer Empire and his success pacifying the region, the general Kiều Sơn Hà is promoted by Emperor Chinh to the position of General of the Imperial army. In addition to making Thuyên the commander of Viet's existing forces, the position gives him the power to better organize and increase the size. Notably, Kiều begins to ensure the broader distribution of gunpowder weapons to the Viet forces, especially in the more developed northern regions of the Kingdom. Cannons begin to become more commonplace, with Kiều ramping up manufacturing in and around the imperial citadel, and continuing the manufacture of smaller handheld weapons, ensuring the whole of the Imperial Army can be equipped. Kiều also begins to fortify more Viet cities, to expel any potential invasion. In particular, Imperial Citidal in Thăng Long receives more defenses and a stronger garrison consisting of the elite Scarlet Dragons, but the general plans to equip most cities of significance with at least a few cannons over the coming decade or so. Kiều continues the policy of keeping gunpowder a classified secret to prevent its spread, and makes sure gunpowder is produced in multiple stages to make it nearly impossible to steal. Under Kiềun's command, the Viet Imperial Army stands is structured to include 20,000 professional soldiers, with 30,000 more owing only limited service per year, or during war time. With the navy standing at 145 small ships, Kiều also begins work there. Champan ship yards are instructed to begin production of more advanced ships. With Japanese help, the emperor begins substanial investment in boosting Veit and Champan shipyards, hoping to improve the size and quality of his navy's ships. In addition, the garrison at Riau Island is complete, securing Viet trade in the region. While the Emperor waits for his own navy to expand in power, he continues to rely on Champan forces to secure trade, which continues will our neighbors. In addition to merchant ships, the Emperor begins to focus on spreading trade over land, begingin to make sure merchants are sent to all nearby nations. After his crucial experience in Khmer and Angkor, Prince Quan is recalled to the Imperial Court in Thăng Long to take over his relevant administration duties. The Prince is currently responsible for agriculture in the Kingdom, under the guidance of a few of the Emperor's trusted advisors. Sugarcane and Barley continue their spread through the Empire and are used to cycle crops, making harvests more effective. Quan uses his limited budget to subsidize the implementation of this system, but also continues the spread of floating rice across the Kingdom, which allows for higher yields, especially after effective crop cycling. Meanwhile, in a city called Tan Ap, rumors spread of a young boy called Soma, claimed to have mystical healing powers. Interested, a local noble named Thuyên Tông takes the orphaned boy under his wing, allowing him to learn at a nearby Buddhist temple, while practicing his healing. Fascinated by the obvious affect of the boy, several Buddhist Monks and nearby villages begin to listen to Soma's somewhat unusual teachings. Support continues for the King of Lavo in his efforts to secede the throne of Ayutthaya, with the emperor providing resources for Ramesuan to stabilize his power base in Lavo.
- Angkorian Kingdom (Vassal of Dai Viet): King Damkhat continues to work under the perview of Dai Viet. Miltiary prescense is minimal, but the kingdom begins to adopt the cycling of rice with sugarcane and barely, albeit at a slower rate than the kingdom proper
- Japanese Empire: As of the current year Yoshishege begins direct plans to make an imperial visit to China. He brings in two of the four noble houses of Japan specifically their clan leaders and Leaves Kong Ren, his newest Kampaku the Kensei Order Master known only as Tenzin, and his 17-year-old son Kenmu as the rulers of Japan in his absence in the next year as the Emperor plans his trip to the Imperial capital of China. The Imperial navy continues to expand with nearly 350 combat vessels to its name with nearly 75 of those being of the Great Atakebune now housing 18 guns per ship. The curiosity of the Cetbangs with two or three having been acquired in the trades with the Majahpahit or from one of their wreckages sees the design studied and its implications on naval combat being assessed. The cultural revival of the Heian and Tang period philosophies and art forms sees an explosion in popularity across Japan. With the Heian period being considered a bygone but highly regarded age, the resurgence of these cultural effects is adopted widely by the nobility and freemen alike with the Peseants not really caring or seeing much of it anyway.. Buildings are reconstructed or built with modern floorplans but Heian era architecture, the Imperial Palace taking up a massive chunk of Kyoto has been fully revamped to emulate or outright copy Heian era architecture. The Kyoto Imperial Guard Squads are noted to be spending serious time with Crown Prince Kenmu who has taken a shine to the affairs of the military and has taken much time training in the ways of the Samurai. Not usually becoming of the Imperial family, nobody was able to convince Kenmu otherwise and he stands to be a strong and able warrior in his own right, and has even begun rising in the ranks of dueling. The expansion of trade further in the south continues as more and more ships take port in Indo-China, parts of Indonesia, and more noticeable the Indonesian islands. The Emperor takes the frontier territories into his own hands financing two expeditions of settlers. The first expedition of nearly 1,000 is to built a city in northern Sakhalin to nail down tighter control of the area and extend imperial influence onto the development of the region specifically the development of a northern port from which to continue exploration and exploitation of the mainland. Another expedition to Manchuria is sent numbering nearly 2,500 with nearly 1,000 of these to take up residence in the now well protected Amuraji, but also begin constructing towns along the Amur river between Aimoi and Amuraji. The fortifications in Amuraji specifically continue to expand as it begins to be developed into a proper Japanese fortress with the Inner keep being ripped down as more Garrison forces arrive to labor extensively to build the Castle on a hill near the town. The town walls, however, are kept in place as a placeholder until the castle is complete.
The Ciompi Revolt does not meet peacefully with the Signoria of Padania, seeing the overt violent actions against their leaders. The city of Florence is taken over by an oligarchy of free artisans, led by the defected Minister of Justice Michele di Lando. Lando does, however, publish a set of moderate demands to the Republic of Padania, for which they are willing to negotiate peacefully on: these demands primarily focus on having non guilded merchants be given the same rights as the major guilds that exist in the republic, which would essentially decentralize their power.
The Kingdom of Cusco expands north into the small or disorganized kingdoms securing a bit more territory and organizing it within its new Tax system revolving around labor as payment rather than direct taxes in terms of goods. Along side of this, the northern conquests sees populations recently subjugated, sent south to populate the southern frontiers and reduce unrest in the new northern territories.
The Four Oirots manages to score a serious and decisive victory over the Mongols securing vast swathes of territory and effectively securing their conquest of Western Mongolia. With Mongolia defeated the Khanate looks to its West sizing up its position and plotting conquests toward the region. An envoy is also sent to China specifically to establish amicable relations with a gift sent as well in order to buy some peace of mind from the Tian and their armies.
Vincent of Luxembourg takes the election in the Holy Roman Empire with great fanfare in his capital.
In an argument over the succession breaks out over the county of Maine between the Duchy of Anjou and its ruler Louis and the current claimant a bastard, and its ruler, Philip. Philip in an attempt to preserve his position as the count petitions the French King for assistance raising 1500 men to stave off the assault from nearly 5,000 troops from Anjou.
Robert of Geneva is elected as Pope in the Papal conclave. He takes the papal name of Pope Clement VI.
A small Lollard community appears in Iceland as Wycliffe sends some of his disciples to represent him in the court of the Icelandic king.
The peoples of the Sibir begin building small walled settlements and settling more concretely in Siberia in an attempt to more effectively survive the harsh climate and resist nomads from outside the current communities outside of the Traditional Sibir homelands.
Tensions between the Iroquois speaking and Algonquin speaking groups prompts the Iroquois peoples to migrate farther south on the lake. This also results in the Algonquin migrating farther north away from the Iroquois. (This has only changed locations of some of your territory on the map and has added a new NPC in the area farther to the north.
The Muisica people of the Colombian highlands expand their modest holdings in the highlands after concluding a small conflict with other tribes in the area.
The decision of King Haakon to impose primogentiure is taken very negatively by the Swedish nobility, who instead have preferred elective monarchies since ancient times. Danish nobles marginally are upset as well, but generally are ambivolent.
The Heyst Council in Lothraingia refuses to completely dissolve, citing the king's attempt to remove their military priveleges as an act of tyranny. All the vassalized noble titles in Lothraingia raise their levies in alliance with Liege to fight back against this policy. The Heyst Council forward their petition to the Pope for mediating the dispute.
- The Iroquois Confederacy: Hiawatha addresses the tension between the two tongues say you can speak one or the other at home but at the council it will be Algonquin tongue, We start to hunt and move around out nation more, we make more worshiping places around out nations we start to have more oral and cultural exchanges with each other. We start to trap animals for fur, we start to make a lot of weapons for the future, we build more longhouses around the nation, peace for now is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each Tribe. This also develops major cultural connections within the Five Tribes, we also pass down many stories. We expand moderately southwest and make peaceful contact with any tribes there. We have many births during this time. Also, one-half year of moving the council around. We put it in a place call Raterennotha (OTL Syracuse) in Onondaga territory. This is the domain of Hiawatha.
- Majapahit Empire: With the completed pacification and annexation of Palembang, vassal troops are shipped on the fleet that assisted in transporting them there to Pajajaran where they link up with the invasion force at Cirebon. The invasion force with these reinforcements receives a boost of 9,000 men which leads to 31,000 troops in the force total. The invasion force moves onto assault the capital of Pajajaran, Kawali, taking care to dismount cetbangs and rentakas from naval vessels to use in the siege. Upon arriving at Kawali, the troops make preparations to construct siege weapons and assault the city (Mod Response/Algo). The 3,750 men left in reserve are moved forward to hold Cirebon while the invasion force moves to seize Kawali acting as a rear guard for the army. The state-sponsored merchants guild has started to witness an influx in membership as merchants realize the value it has to members with a small number of Muslim merchants converting, however, the majority of the Muslim merchants continue to refuse joining or converting suffering the Perdagangan tax. The Agama tax offers small income to the royal treasury considering the majority of the population in Majapahit are either Buddhist or Hindu with a very miniscule number having converted to Islam. Wikramawardhana's governorship has been shifted to oversee management of the recently acquired town of Cirebon to have him prove his mettle by restoring the town due to its extreme value to Majapahit as a production center for jong ships. Hayam Wuruk and his advisors continue to debate on how best to deal with the rising center of power in Eastern Majapahit with the eventual conclusion being that they must seize the land from the rebellious portion of the royal family and gift it to nobles as well as partition it out to administrators to manage. Hindu/Buddhist monks are starting to be sent to the vassal kingdoms, under the patronage of the Raja, as the Majapahit Navy has ships to spare following the pacification of Palembang. The topic of China's incompetent Emperor continues to dominate conversations with the ludicrous ideas of intervention being tossed out, but discussion of potential alternative trading partners and predictions of the outcome continue on. The monks continue to write literature in regards to Hinduism/Buddhism which is stored away for safekeeping to sent to nobles to read. After hearing reports of the Dayak warriors from Borneo, Raja Hayam Wuruk has seen fit to make use of them as the palace guard due to their reputation as bold, fearless warriors and sends for some to be sent to him from Kingdom of Ketapang but emphasizes that they must not be slaves and must come willingly (officially: Pamburu Sirah). Hand cannon productions have yielded a surplus this year due to the lack of trained units and with the army occupied on the front, they are kept stockpiled for later use by trained units. Naval reports inidcate that 15 Jongs were completed this year as well as 19 smaller ships bolstering the Majapahit Navy's size. The foundries across the Kingdom continue to produce more cetbangs and rentakas which are promptly distributed to arm Majapahit vessels that have been stripped of their weapons for other uses and also to arm the newly built vessels. The garrison on Batam island is currently understaffed and undermanned as Majapahit is at war leaving ships exposed to increased piracy in the area.
- Swiss Confederacy: As a local conflict emerges between the French vassals of Anjou and Maine, the Central Council becomes increasingly wary of potential large-scale conflicts. Consequently, the Central Council decides to send the joint military of the Confederacy to fortify the nation's western border in the new Canton of Fribourg as well as the Cantons of Bern and Sion. Some mercenaries are also temporarily sent south to help the Swiss allies Savoy and Arles fortify their borders. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg meets with his grand-nephew, King William V of Arles, to discuss the growing instability in France. They conclude that establishing more alliances with French vassals would be beneficial to their position and general survival. To this end, they approach John, Duke of Berry, and propose a marriage between William V (b. 1359) and John's daughter Bonne (b. 1362, OTL married Amadeus VII of Savoy but he married Anna von Lenzburg in 1376 in this TL). (Mod response) However, the Central Council currently remains neutral on the immediate conflict between Anjou and Maine, waiting to see what position King Louis X of France will take. The Central Council does, however, decide to cease being neutral in the Italian conflicts given recent developments; an envoy is sent to the new Medici government in the Republic of Padania, offering them the use of 3,000 Swiss mercenaries to ensure stability in their nation in case such help would be useful to them. (Padania response) Domestically, the government works on improving road infrastructure in the western Cantons of Fribourg and Sion and also funds the improvement of weapons for Swiss soldiers and mercenaries. In the Cantons of Uri and Gersau, some new boats are built to traverse Lake Lucerne and improve trade and communication between the cantons around it. Michelle of Anjou-Lenzburg and Engelbert III, Count of the Mark have a second child, a daughter named Johanna (b. 1379).
- John of Berry agrees.
- Kingdom of Scotland: Vassalage of Arran island is also transfered to the Archduke of Iceland. We keep providing our vassal Iceland with a steady flow of 100 settlers for Greenland and the rest of their colonies each year as well as any agricultural goods they need. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. We start to witness the emerging Lollard community in neighbouring England. King Robert II takes admiration in some of John Wycliffe's thesis as groundbreaking, although after carefull study of the Lollard doctrine he hesitates to endorse it keeping his reservations about some of the more extreme Lollard doctrines. Nonetheless he tolerates their existance in our domain, allowing them to take hold and preach their ideas. He also asks for John Wycliffe for some [Mod Response] King Robert II continues to enforce his father's decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. All the effort made for the previous one and a half plus decades has led to very positive results, the vast majority of the court prefers to speak Gaelic Scottish by now. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King Robert II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as it's strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. We make a proposal to our ally Duke Christian V of Oldenburg, offering him the exclusive right in all of the HRE to import Scottish goods through his domain and distribute them all over the Holy Roman Empire. [Mod Response].
- Oldenburg agrees.
- John Wycliffe sends some disciples to preach in Scotland.
- Papal States: After the Conclave, Robert of Geneva is elected as Pope Clement VI. His first act as pope is nominate to the position of Cardinal-Secretary Pedro Martínez de Luna. He creates as cardinals Andrea Franchi (Florence), Arnoud II of Horne (Liege), Leobald of Cousance (Verdun) and Antonius de Vetulis (Papal States). With the crisis of the Lollards happening in England and now spreading to Scotland and Iceland, Pope Clement VI calls for a Council to start in 1380. This Council will be realized in the city of York, in the York Minster. The clergy of all Europe and the Lollards shall meet there to resolve this situation, the pope himself will attend [MOD and players response needed, please]. The pontiff wants to meet with king Edward IV and John of Gaunt and to propose a Concordate between the English crown and the Holy See, about the Church lands which were confiscated [England or MOD response needed, please]. After meeting with Catherine of Siena last year, Elena Cimorelli knows that she meet a true servant of god. Elena’s stigmata continues to bleed, but she continues to write about her visions.
- Scotland Dip: Scottish nobles as well as our King Robert II Bruce himself would be personally attending the Council of York to discuss the Lollard situation, other than our clergy.
- Bishops prepare for the Ecumenical Council of York.
- Swiss Diplomacy: Bishop of Basel Ludovico Mazzo will attend the Council of York.
- After Ari’s book becomes a massive success nobody wants to attend believing it would be an insult.
- Haakon of Sweden-Norway regrets that he cannot attend the Council in person. He therefore sends Birger Gregersson, as well as several bishops and priests
- Ethiopia Dip: Ethiopia would like to send a few Orthodox monks and diplomats to observe but not participate in the council.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: During the civil war, Transylvania invade Bessarabia on the north coast the Habsburgs send soldiers to the south of the Wallachia for Otlenia and the Mongols raid Austrian authority says Moldova is invaded by Mongols in the south Wallachia is sending soldiers of 12,300 continues to the economic fail affair the conflict of the civil war war is done in unification very separatist in the name of the law of the voidove the dukes of the region call for a unification a developer tactic says they are paid for German weapons coming from Germany and Austria to Danube River the kingdom of Hungary is ready to face fighting with the Mongols on the south between Wallachia one of the dukes of Bavaria insists on intervening to support him from the three kingdoms in main perspective the Moldovan army continues to cross the forests with the royal Habsburgs army against the south facing war at Otlenia since the Hungarian from Moldova are on the side of Hungary for the civil war between the states of Wallachia and this ongoing situation whike the Germans pay an armor soldier with the Romanians Vladislav I enforce that the Germans must occupy Transylvania in the northern part in the forest territory an event that the House of Bessarabia and Habsburgs must succeed one of the voidove of Wallachia in vote to end the civil war ongoing since the Germans occupy the Danubian villagers for the safety and enforcement of the economy of this cause of civil war the tactic is set in motion of the strategy that the Transylvanian Saxons must make a very secret assault against the invader known as the Mongol hand to dull, that the armory soon finished the new tactic for this ongoing situation to put a very organized level of voidove and in the name of Vladislav I. ALGO NEEDED].
- Iceland: The population reaches a great 80,800 and the Archduke introduces Lollardism as the national religion. Cardinal Ari writes “Letter to Robert” in which he criticizes the Papal Election system as well as generally criticizing the pope but the population loves it and the Pope's approval rating drops to below five percent.
- Tarascan-Toltec Empire: In this year, Cazonci Nalhen visits the sight of the Zapotek mainland, basking in the culture while simultaneously regarding their culture as heresy. He delivers a speech to the remaining Zapotek and Mixtec natives that were not enslaved, stating that "You once worshipped the incompetent Teitac as your representation of divinity. I am here today to say that the divine law he once enforced has not protected you in times of conflict. I am your true savior." Following this speach, Nalhen meets with Tonalcotzin and his two sons, disregarding their progress as 'not good enough in the eyes of Cuitzeo.' Nalhen acquires a large group of Zapotek slaves for his own personal reasons, leaving shortly after the season changes. The Warlord of Oaxaca, Ilhuitl, although silent during Nalhen's appearance, meets personally with Ocēlōtl Tonalcotzin, asking for sovereign domesticality for each warlord in the region, bribing him with a small fortune of gold to misplace his thoughts. Tonalcotzin, still under the influence of Auicamine, accepts this offer, allowing for the creation of numerous semi-independent city-states and territories under the condition that tribute is paid to him. Meanwhile, in Chichimeca, Iuihua continues to preach among the masses and to the Cazonci, Padira. Padira's son, Yolopan, grows resentful and jealous of his father's persistent need to confide to Iuihua on religion than respect the Pantheon established centuries prior.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Feinsan Reginier has been elected as Holy Roman Emperor, Thus taking the reign of the empire as the Third Regnier. Feinsan promising to Respect the Imperial charter of 1357, and to respect the independence of all electors. The Emperor wanting to make sure wealth and Justice will come into the empire, The end of piracy with the Help of the Hanze and Lotharingian Navies. The Praetorian Guard swearing their loyalties to this new emperor of the Romans, With the words "For Emperor and Christ". The emperor wanting to make sure that the Loyalty of the Praetorian guard is with the Emperor he ensures good pay and the best equipment and some extra rights, Exclusion from most taxations excluding tolling. These improvements are meant to make it so that the Guard is Loyal and grateful to the emperor. So King and the Senate hold their first official session in the Aachen Rathaus, thus moving the official Capital of Lotharingia to Aachen. This is done to reconnect with with Lotharingia and the old Charlemagne roots. Aachen also being close to the Muese and the coal mines, thus having resources and an easy way to ship them. Senatus Lotharii waiting for the reaction of the Nobility before drafting a new Constitution, and agreement between the King and the Senate. As the senate wants to keep the risk of Rebelling Nobility as low as possible, as war would devastate Lotharingia and her Prosperity. King John and the Senate requests to the all regular forces in Lotharingia to swear an Oath to the King and the New Senate in the Name of God(Mod Response?). This is so the King knows how much of the Regular Royal Lotharingian army he can get support from, as he does fear Noble uprisings against his centralising measurements. So as one way to counter this the Königliche Garde Johanns des Siegreichen. who has already been ordered to keep the peace gets new tasks. This task being Policing of people with questionable loyalty, and keeping taps on them open. As they need to be able to do what the Judicial courts ask them to do on a wimp, arrest or disarm them when needed. Simba a Friend and a friend in combat staying with the Milltary wing, as his ethnicity makes him a bit disliked by many. The difference in the Military wing and Police wing being minor as members are often in both wings, with just some change in equipment and strategy. As the police wing's duty is that of capturing people and gathering evidence.
- Kingdom of Eiru: As fighting in Connacht escalates Ruaidri mac Tairdelbach Ó Conchobair travels to Dublin to ask for Eoghan's assistance in ending the fighting. Eoghan calls up Parliament with both the Lords and the Commons with the Commons voting to make cattle theft a crime while the Lords dominated by local Kings refuses to assent instead calling only for an end to the fighting in Connacht wary of an English intervention but the Commons refuses to assent to any bill calling for the end of fighting in Connacht without addressing the root causes of the war which was endemic cattle theft. High King Eoghan and the navy led by Oengus support the Commons in refusing to take action while the problem would likely only occur again later. After a standoff and violence in Connacht continuing Eoghan convinces the Parliament's to come to a compromise in which the warring factions are forced to end violence and they will be punished for allowing the violence to escalate. With Parliament in agreement Eoghan asks members of the Celtic confederacy to support Eiru. A force from across Eiru with Scottish support heads to Connacht where the various rebel forces capitulate and accept fines in punishment for bringing all out war. This sets a precedent for keeping the endemic warfare to a minimum.
- Icelandic Dip: 1,500 are sent upto Ireland Under the command of the Duke of Greenland.
- Scottish Dip: King Robert II Bruce himself leads 5,000 men to Eiru to support his brother-in-law Ameraudur of the Celts and High King of Eiru Eoghan.
- Sweden-Norway: The move by Haakon to establish primogeniture is controversial among his nobles, but the King is certain that the furor will calm down. Birger Gregersson and several bishops are sent to York, to attend the next year's council there. Birger Gregersson also petitions the new pope, Clement VI, to consider the possibility of canonising Bridget as a saint, writing that there is enough evidence of her miracles to establish her sainthood. Priests and monks continue the creation, translation and copying of written works such as documents and censuses (with the exception of the Bible) into the Swedish language in places such as Lund Cathedral and Uppsala.
- Kingdom of Hungary and Dalmatia: With the Mongol problem still not concluded, a cooperation and official anti-horde alliance with the Byzantines and Serbians is requested (ROMAN/SERBIAN RESPONSE NEEDED). The fortification program in Moldova is continues to keep the Mongols in future at bay. Furthermore, the supply lines of the Mongols and all communication to their motherland is cut off, to finish them off. The newly married couple of Lajos Árpád and Dragana of Serbia is given a child this year, a healthy boy named Béla, while Prince Imre and Princess Isabella have the luck of even two healthy children, a boy and a girl, named Istvan and Elizabeth. The children are baptized and will grow up together with their paternal cousins, the children of the oldest brother Stephen, who is the direct heir of Stephen VI. A small scale navy buildup continues, so that Hungary can avoid paying tariffs, while trade is strongly encouraged and increased in ragusa. The Hungarian Cardinal and two Bishops will attend the Council of York, representing Hungary there. (still waiting for the algo for the battle of Ihtiman)
- Roman Empire: We agree, but propose a more general defensive alliance between Hungary, Serbia, and the Roman Empire.
- Polish Dip: King Wladyslaw I offers Hunghary an allince against the Mongols.
- Kingdom of Denmark: After long years of civil unrest, Denmark has chosen the Swedish to rule over Denmark, accepting their king to the danish throne. The other supporters would mostly agree with this due to the large unrest and protests in the nations. We would expect King Haakon or his wife to rule over Denmark in the next year. (Swedish response needed.)
- Empire of Ethiopia: With the rebels accepting peace, the Great Somali Revolt is ended. While Kelafo and parts of the inland Ogaden region may belong to a new Muslim Sultanate, the coastal regions of Ajuran remain firmly under Ethiopian vassalage. To ensure stability in the reconquered vassal Kingdom of Ajuran, Newaya Maryam removes the former Sultan from power and has him thrown in jail, where he soon dies of illness. A new Christian King of Ajuran is installed along with a new class of Christian nobility. Many local Christians are made nobles while some Ethiopians are also made part of the new Christian Ajuran nobility. Additionally, to bind the Somali tribal leaders to the new Christian government, the Emperor organizes a mass wedding between the daughters of Somali tribal leaders and the Christian nobles or their families. The Emperor also publishes the Edict of Maydh throughout Somalia, which guarantees that the Ethiopian Empire will make no efforts to infringe on or eradicate Somali culture. To also monitor the Kingdom of Ajuran, the Emperor leaves five Ethiopian advisors behind. All these actions are done to hopefully assuage any Somali fears of Ethiopian overlordship and to quell any possible future discontent. After rebuilding the Kingdom of Ajuran as a friendly Christian vassal, the Emperor returns home with his army, having secured Ethiopian rule over the horn and crushed the Great Somali Revolt. The Emperor makes a triumphant return to Barari, with the armies laden with slaves and treasure. Amongst the slaves are hundreds of captured Ajuran mint workers. These workers are highly prized by the Emperor for their knowledge of the Ajuran mints, which Ethiopia seeks to replicate as part of the Emperor’s plan to create an Ethiopian currency. The mint slaves are given to the Ministry of the Treasury in order to begin planning the creation of an Ethiopian currency to replace Ethiopia’s current barter system. The Ministry of the Treasury begins learning from the slaves the basics of a currency based system and starts using their knowledge to plan the creation of a currency. A mint in Barari is constructed, while treasury agents begin planning to use gold accumulated through mining and trade with Mali to mint the actual currency. In Europe, the delegation thanks the King of France for his hospitality and make plans to leave for England after hearing of a Christian island kingdom. The delegates are shocked at the size of Britain when they see maps of the island, declaring the island "a continent unto itself". The delegations leaves Paris for Calais, where it books passage for England and arrive at London. A request is made to the King of England asking for an audience [MOD RESPONSE NEEDED]. Additionally, hearing of a religious council to the north, a sub-delegation of several Ethiopian monks, nobles and diplomats head to the northern city of York to observe the meeting of so many European clergymen.
- Dai Viet: After his successful operation in the former Khmer Empire and his success pacifying the region, the general Kiều Sơn Hà is promoted by Emperor Chinh to the position of General of the Imperial army. In addition to making Thuyên the commander of Viet's existing forces, the position gives him the power to better organize and increase the size. Notably, Kiều begins to ensure the broader distribution of gunpowder weapons to the Viet forces, especially in the more developed northern regions of the Kingdom. Cannons begin to become more commonplace, with Kiều ramping up manufacturing in and around the imperial citadel, and continuing the manufacture of smaller handheld weapons, ensuring the whole of the Imperial Army can be equipped. Kiều also begins to fortify more Viet cities, to expel any potential invasion. In particular, Imperial Citidal in Thăng Long receives more defenses and a stronger garrison consisting of the elite Scarlet Dragons, but the general plans to equip most cities of significance with at least a few cannons over the coming decade or so. Kiều continues the policy of keeping gunpowder a classified secret to prevent its spread, and makes sure gunpowder is produced in multiple stages to make it nearly impossible to steal. Under Kiềun's command, the Viet Imperial Army stands is structured to include 20,000 professional soldiers, with 30,000 more owing only limited service per year, or during war time. With the navy standing at 145 small ships, Kiều also begins work there. Champan ship yards are instructed to begin production of more advanced ships. With Japanese help, the emperor begins substanial investment in boosting Veit and Champan shipyards, hoping to improve the size and quality of his navy's ships. In addition, the garrison at Riau Island is complete, securing Viet trade in the region. While the Emperor waits for his own navy to expand in power, he continues to rely on Champan forces to secure trade, which continues will our neighbors. In addition to merchant ships, the Emperor begins to focus on spreading trade over land, begingin to make sure merchants are sent to all nearby nations. After his crucial experience in Khmer and Angkor, Prince Quan is recalled to the Imperial Court in Thăng Long to take o his relevant administration duties. The Prince is currently responsible for agriculture in the Kingdom, under the guidance of a few of the Emperor's trusted advisors. Sugarcane and Barley continue their spread through the Empire and are used to cycle crops, making harvests more effective. Quan uses his limited budget to subsidize the implementation of this system, but also continues the spread of floating rice across the Kingdom, which allows for higher yields, especially after effective crop cycling. Meanwhile, in a city called Tan Ap, rumors spread of a young boy called Soma, claimed to have mystical healing powers. Interested, a local noble named Thuyên Tông takes the orphaned boy under his wing, allowing him to learn at a nearby Buddhist temple, while practicing his healing. Fascinated by the obvious affect of the boy, several Buddhist Monks and nearby villages begin to listen to Soma's somewhat unusual teachings. Support continues for the King of Lavo in his efforts to secede the throne of Ayutthaya, with the emperor providing resources for Ramesuan to stabilize his power base in Lavo.
- Angkorian Kingdom (Vassal of Dai Viet): King Damkhat continues to work under the perview of Dai Viet. Miltiary prescense is minimal, but the kingdom begins to adopt the cycling of rice with sugarcane and barely, albeit at a slower rate than the kingdom proper
- Burgundy: Duke Philip the Bold, staying true to his name, announces his support for his ally, Louis of Anjou, and asserts that the matter is entirely internal - and therefore, the King of France has no role to play in supporting the pretender in Maine. The full military of Burgundy (including forces from Nevers and Flanders) is mustered, numbering 20,000 troops. Of these men, many are well-trained and prepared, given the recent conflicts with the French realm. The bulk of these troops, however, are commanded by Philip himself not to the northwest - instead they are seen marching almost directly to the north - to Flanders. The troop movements are concealed from Lotharingia, before a sudden attack of 16,000 men descends upon the County of Aalst, which was (and remains rightfully) a part of Flanders. The formal declaration of war, one of hegemony, comes after a grand battle at Aalst, where the Burgundian troops are joined by nobility from Lotharingia. The Duke promises to guarantee greater autonomy and protection for the lesser lords of Lotharingia, including their own independence, enticing them to fight under his banner (for the duration of their rebellion).
- Roman Empire: The Hungarian victory against the Mongols in Bulgaria reopens trade with Wallachia. Unfortunately, the Wallachian civil war has also disrupted trade in grain from the region. Despite this, the trade situation of the empire does improve as the imperial merchant fleet fully enters its own. With 47 of the desired ships completed Merchants bring both luxuries and staples from the trade ports in Crimea throughout the empire and beyond. The efforts to reduce the tax burden on peasants and manufacturers also show their benefits as internal economic pursuits prosper. The reduced taxation on the peasantry helps alleviate pressure on rural communities allowing them to flourish. The Ithiman Crisis does spur John and Andronikos to action rebuilding the strength of the Themes. In order to increase the efficiency of the imperial army equipment production is fully centralized and a second arsenal established in Selymbria. The two arsenals, one in Nicea and the other in Selymbria begin producing standard equipment for the Themic Levies. The levies are armed with a standard set of equipment, including either a Menaulion or a crossbow, one of the new Nicean Helmets, and some basic armor. The average infantryman might be equipped with a linen gambeson, a pair of vambraces, and perhaps a gorget. This mass standardization improves the quality of the equipment used by the army and reduces the cost to produce such equipment. The Themes are able to then equip forces rapidly and consistently, increasing discipline and infantry combat skill.
- Kingdom of Portugal: Hurrah! The regency is over! shouts people all over Portugal as King Peter-Ferdinando I becomes the new king of Portugal. The king, albeit young, is regarded as one of the most educated and versatile of all the Portuguese kings as he has been trained bu his aunt Princess Beatrice in fencing.But all is not well in the kingdom as the kingdom has no heir at the moment,so much pressure is put on the king to get a wife.
- Republic of Padania: Lorenzo Medici finds the demands put up by Lando to be laughable at best and quickly declines them and moves out with an armed force of 8,000 Mercenaries from Milan under the command of his Brother in Law Allesandro Spinola these forces are ordered to establish Military Law for the time being. Lorenzo quickly gets to work in his own ways putting his mask back on and being the Sceptre once again he returns to Florence in secret leaving the kingdom under the command unoficially of his Eldest Son, Antoine who is given the assistance of both his wife and Step Mom, the queen as well as a major adviser council to assist him he’s left with relatively small amounts of things to do and his Father gave him specific orders on what to and what not to send messages to him about. Lorenzo takes quick action sending a few of his assassins to take out Lando specifically as well as any other major characters supporting this opposition. (Crim response for how the assassination attempts go.) The art is still on the subject of darkness. However, there’s one group who does art with Lando and the artisans in rebellion as the evil. The other group paints the opposite with Lorenzo and company and the centralized major guilds as the major opposition. A sculptor is commissioned in Genoa with orders to construct his thoughts of the last 80 years of Genoese and Northern Italian history.
- Poland-Lthuania: Stanislovas I passes away leaving the thrones of both Lithuania and Poland to his son Wladyslaw I who returns from campaigning in the Baltics against the Samotigian upon hearing the news.Wladyslaw I seeing an opportunity with the recent defeats of the horde decides to launch an an invasion of the Golden Horde using the claims of the frontier lands to Moldovia as per agreement with the Hungarians under his father's rule (made the deal with Orwell when he had Hungary). And sensing the need to secure his southern and Eastern Frontiers launches an invasion of 20,000 troops made up predominantly the feared Polish and Lithuanian Pancerny and of the royal guard made up of heavy infantry, and crossbowmen. Meanwhile, the levies are called up in case the war gets larger. The invasion force pushes south moving along the Bug River.
- Tian China: The rule of the Guāngróng Emperor enters into its second year, and he continues to prove unfit for the task, as although his administration, although not paticulary bad or good, is fine, his drunkeness, whoring, and general bad political descisions continue to alienate many, many powerful people, and a faction begins coalescing around his wife in Beijing and around his brother Xuanye, who many view as a better alternative for the throne. He also alienates a huge number of people with his response to the overtures of the Four Oriot Khanate, which is still viewed with immense hostility simply due to its being made up of Mongols, and in particular due to its previous raids on Inner Mongolia, when he accepts their attempts to open a friendship with the Tian dynasty, in contrast to his father's immense anti-Mongol policies. He also issues a declaration of tolerance toward the few remaining Christains within the state, a drastic change from his father's policies even larger than before, adding a huge amount of fuel to the fire of discontent against him. Meanwhile, Miyuki continues to gather power in the area around Beijing.