In OTL, the Imperial Russian Army was marked with serfdom, unprofessional army with 1800s equipment. New strategy didn't adapted by Nicholas II after his father died. So, what if the Russian realized the advantages of armed forces modernization? What if new strategy was introduced. What if autocracy was partially abolished?
Well, the main concentration here was the Russian development of constitutional monarchy. Began of compulsory education, develop new weapons and strategies, introducing the air forces, Western organization of military and parliamentary system, which Nicholas II refused. However, if Sergei Witte and Stolypin had real power, then what happened?
Russian's economy was improved time by time (unlike in OTL, which Russian's economy only developed in 1900's) in 1840's. The Russian leadership began to modernize the country which had been fallen behind the West in technology.
It's 1895, then something happened. Nicholas II, after years of hesitation of reforms of military and political system, slowly began to reform. Army officers has more salary, political structure transferred from a unitary autocratic monarchy to a centralized federal constitutional monarchy. Council of Ministers gradually had more power. Republican factions began to satisfied with the King.The first opposition political party was introduced. It was named "Socialist Party of Russia", merged from the Socialist Revolutionaries and RSDLP. It was headed by Viktor Chernov, who seemed to be acceptable from moderate Marxist like Lenin to fully social democrats like Kerensky. In 1910 election, they had 40.5% votes, which led them have 225 seats in the State Duma. The newly centralized opposition poses a threat to German military, which saw Russia as a threat to some main positions like Western Poland, Konisburg, etc. Those tanks were Russian made with the support of British and the French. It would be effective for the war against Germany since it is much more compact.
Then, in 1910, the German military organized a coup against the Kaiser, forced him to go to Britain. Then they introduced a declaration which to extend colonies, even if they had to go to a big war. This is a war of extermination.
The Kaiser, phoned the Russian Prime Minister Alexander Kerensky to declare war against the military dictatorship immediately. Kerensky replied that the Russian did not ready for the war until 1914. The Kaiser had to wait. The next day, a State Duma referendum to introduce of budget increasing for military. Overwhelmingly voted "Yes", which was 65% of the vote. 2nd Modernization process of military began. The Russian began to introduced armored car, which literally put some armor in a Ford Model T, and built a machine gun.
Council of Developing Military Technologies began to actually mass produced an armored car, which is a Austin-Omsky armored car. They also bought 350 Renault FT from France, which was a Russia ally. New armoured brigades began to united with close artillery division. The British also introduced new tank, called Medium.
The world was on high alert. With increasing military budget from UK, Russia, United States of America, France (Allied Powers) and Germany, Austro-Hungary Empire, Bulgaria and Ottoman Empire led to the potential of a war.
Points of Divergence
- Japan and Russia are more friendly towards each other, especially since Grigory Semyonov had negotiated for economic alliance with Japan, officially made Japan a de facto 1st Bloc member.
- Treaty of Versailles is more lenient, so no aggressive policy from Germany or Japan and even Italy or no ascension of the Fascism and National Socialism
- Balkan countries, and also Germany, Czechoslovak-Hungarian Federation signed a official declaration of forming the 3rd Bloc. (Compare to OTL when Germany was divided)
- Cold War was officially started much later, somewhere in 1965-67 and it was ended in 1993, only 33 to 35 years
- Nuclear weapons are used less frequently as a threat.
- League of Nations was redesigned to be something like the United Nations, although it still kept its' name.
Warfare and battles
- Vietnam War didn't happen, instead it became Union of Khmer, Vietnamese, Laotian, Burmese and Thai after the US-Russia/1st Bloc won the Cold War (although it had insurgency in Rohingya)
- WW2 didn't happened, although the new generations of generals such as Georgy Zhukov, Bernard Montgomery or Dwight Eisenhower concentrated on "armor warfare" and air force reorganization.
- Nuclear warfare was predicted nearly as exactly as OTL.
- Less military exercise at the border near to opponents' territories.
- Chemical warfare was banned, and all the nations agreed with that.
- The United States' economy was much better due to good management of the economy by the government, the dollar still much more valuable than today.
- Russia's economy became 2nd after the British and French lost the Cold War, the Ruble became international currency for oil trade.
- British and Ireland Isles' economy are much better than in OTL due to having a good amount of labour force and technology (after the Cold War).
- German's economy became the 3rd largest in the world due to the Treaty of Versailles is more lenient which allow the country to take some industrial base of Austria.
- Chinese economy still growing fast, but it only became the 4th largest in the world due to Europe's population growth was faster.
- Southern Europe's economy developed much more efficiently due to a common new policy of Josip Broz Tito for the economy in general. Internal affairs was respected.
|Name of the politician||OTL Ideology||TTL Ideology|
|Harold Wilson||Social democratic||Conservatism|
|Harry S. Truman||Conservatism, Colonialism||Anti-colonialism|
|Dwight D. Eisenhower||Conservatism||Centrism|
|Nikita Khrushchev||Marxist-Leninist||Social democratic|
|Mikhail Gorbachev||Social democratic||Centrism|
|Josip Broz Tito||Marxist-Leninist||Social democratic|