|Principality of Achaea|
Principauté d'Achaïe (French)Timeline: Merveilles du Monde (Map Game)
Πριγκιπάτο της Αχαΐας (Greek)
1205 - Present
|Official languages||Latin; French|
|Ethnic groups||Greek; Gasmouloi; French; Italian|
|-||Princess||Isabella of Villehardouin|
|History||Vassal of Latin Empire (1204-1261);|
Vassal of the Angevins (1278-Present)
Alongside the Despotate of Epirus, Duchy of Athens, Triarchy of Negroponte, and Duchy of Naxos, the Principality of Achaea is one of the foremost crusader nations in Greece.
Greek Rule (Prehistory to 1204)
Frankish Rule (1204 to Present)
The Fourth Crusade, waged between the Latin West and the Orthodox East, led to the creation of a number of Latin and Frankish states formed in Greek territory.
Princes of Achaea
The Principaity is led by a hereditary Prince.
|Name||Portrait/Coat of Arms||Lifespan||Reign Span||Notes|
|William I of Champlitte||1160s-1209||1205-1209||Conqueror of Achaea|
|Geoffrey I of Villehardouin||1169-1228||1209-1228||Aided in conquest of Achaea|
|Geoffrey II of Villehardouin||1195-1245||1228-1245||Son of Geoffrey I|
|William II of Villehardouin||after 1195-1278||1245-1278||Son of Geoffrey I, brother of Geoffrey II|
|Charles I of Anjou||1226-1285||1278-1286||Inherited via Treaty of Viterbo|
|Charles II of Anjou||1254-Present||1285-1289||Son of Charles I|
|Isabella of Villehardouin and Florent of Hainaut||1260-Present; 1255-Present||1289-Present||Daughter of William II; Wife of Isabella|
Court of Peers
The Prince is not an entirely unchecked monarch, however.
The Achaean economy is undergoing a period of investment.
Largely comprise of Latin knights, Gasmouloi men-at-arms, and Greek peasant warriors.
Notable castles: Clermont, Corinth, Beauvoir, and Kalamata.
The culture is a mixture of
- Good Relations
- Duchy of Athens - Royal Marriage. Duke Guy II de la Roche of Athens is currently betrothed to Matilda of Hainaut, the heiress to Achaea.
- Palatine County of Cephalonia and Zakynthos - Tributary.
- Duchy of Naxos - Tributary.
- Despotate of Epirus - Defensive Pact.
- Neutral Relations
- Kingdom of Albania - Controlled by the former suzerains of Achaea (the Angevins), Achaea has since stopped being under the yoke of the Angevins, given their recent fall from power in Naples.
- Republic of Venice - Trading Partner.
- Triarchy of Negroponte.
- Republic of Genoa.
- Negative Relations
- Byzantine Empire - Conflict.