In 1274 and 1281, the Mongols tried to invade the Japanese islands twice. Their efforts were failed both from the heavy resistance from the Japanese as well as the natural factors, the storm, that kept destroying the Mongol invading armadas. This historical episode has many lasting impacts for the Japanese people, including a myth that Japan was unconquerable and protected by divine powers as well as the continuation of warrior rule in the Japanese society.
However, what if the Mongol invasion of Japan was succeeded? What will happen to the Japanese society at all? What are the impacts of this divergence in the future? This timeline will explore that possibility.
The successful Mongol invasion to Japan in 1282 changed the Japanese society drastically. Japan was subjugated as a tributary state for Yuan Dynasty for about 80 years. The failure of the Bakufu military government to defy the invasion led to the collapse of warrior rule in the island. Japanese society and culture thus become less militarized than in OTL. Together with the court aristocratic class, a new class of bureaucratic scholars emerged and dominated the politics of Medieval Japan. New social order based on Confucianism was established, resulted to the period of domestic peace and stability. As result, there is no Sengoku period; science, technology, and education were more emphasized during this peacetime era.
Cherry, Plum, and Chrysanthemum is a "catch-all" timeline and contains many sub-timelines on it. Outside the main Point of Divergence, this timeline has many points of divergence, mostly minor and has limited impact or butterfly effect outside the boundary of its time and location. That kind of departure point is called on this timeline as a Holm, Germanic word for an islet in the middle of river, in an analogy that islet that only dividing the stream, but not creating another river from it.
- 1815 – The Corsican Republic is reinstated with British intervention in the Congress of Vienna. (see Corsican Republic and Italy)
- 1818 – Frederick VI of Denmark is elected as the Crown Prince of Sweden. (see Scandinavia)
- 1844 – Henry Clay is elected President of the United States, defeating Democrat James K. Polk.(see Jacksonian Democracy)
- 1864 – The Confederate States of America seceding from the United States. (see Confederate States and War of Southern Secession)
- 1871 – Leopold of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen is elected and crowned as the King of Spain. (see Spain under the Hohenzollerns)
- 1912 – Theodore Roosevelt is elected to the third term as the President of the United States. (see Theodore Roosevelt and United States presidential election, 1912)
- 1920 – C. B. Fry accepts the offer to the Albanian throne and is crowned as King Charles I of the Albanians (see Albania)
- 1921 – Joseph Stalin dies due to the complications from acute appendicitis. (see Soviet Union)
- 1971 – The gold standard never abandoned by the United States in place of fiat money as John Connally never born at the United States and thus never appointed as Secretary of Treasury by Richard Nixon.
One or more minor holms usually being only an ornament in a larger, major holm. Its influences on my timeline ranged from very small to nothing, so it is not even diverging the history.
- 1613 – Dmitry Troubetskoy is elected as the Tsar of Russia, albeit not hereditary. Russia is an elective monarchy from 1613 to 1661. (see Russian Empire)
- 1776 – Benjamin Franklin is elected as the President of the Continental Congress. (see Benjamin Franklin and American Revolution)
- 1793 – Prince Augustus Frederick, son of King George III of Great Britain, is ordained priest of Church of England. (see Augustus Frederick) (adopted from The Bishop Royal)
- 1812 – Elbridge Gerry is elected fifth President of the United States. (see Elbridge Gerry) (adopted from President Elbridge Gerry).
Most edited pages
- Hino Nacional Brasileiro
Below is listed several timelines and pages associated with such timelines which incorporated into Cherry, Plum, and Chrysanthemum. The timelines below are properly adopted following the adoption policy and considered appropriate to be merged into this timeline based on following reasonable justifications.
- The narratives of incorporated timelines are not changing the already canonical narrative of Cherry, Plum, and Chrysanthemum whether because they are outside the major points of divergence or they occupy the empty territory of scenario which not yet to be written down as a canon.
- The narratives of incorporated timelines are not changed by the already canonical narrative of Cherry, Plum, and Chrysanthemum in anyway whatsoever that diverging from the original intentions of their creators according to the principles of QSS and QAA.
- The incorporated timelines are not worked in for five years and more or created by the users who are banned permanently from this wiki, thus eliminating or minimizing conflicts of interest between the creator/old caretaker with me, the new caretaker.
Therefore, the following is the list of said timelines and the associated pages which are adopted, incorporated and expanded into the main narrative of Cherry, Plum, and Chrysanthemum:
- Albania (Cricket) by Jackiespeel → Albania
- President Elbridge Gerry by Special adolf → Elbridge Gerry
- The Bishop Royal by Theophilus → Augustus Frederick