Bush is the eldest son of George H.W. Bush (the 41st President) and Barbara Bush; he is one of only two Presidents to be the son of a preceding President (the other was John Quincy Adams). After graduating from Yale University in 1968, and Harvard Business School in 1975, Bush worked in his family's oil businesses. He married Laura Welch in 1977 and unsuccessfully ran for the United States House of Representatives shortly thereafter. He later co-owned the Texas Rangers baseball team before defeating Ann Richards to become Governor of Texas in 1994. In a close and controversial election, Bush was elected President in 2000 as the Republican candidate, receiving a majority of the electoral votes while losing the popular vote to then-Vice President Al Gore.
Eight months into Bush's first term as president, the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks occurred. In response, Bush announced a global War on Terrorism, ordered an invasion of Afghanistan that same year and an invasion of Iraq in 2003. In addition to national security issues, Bush promoted policies on the economy, health care, education, and social security reform. He signed into law broad tax cuts, the No Child Left Behind Act and Medicare prescription drug benefits for seniors. His tenure saw a national debate on immigration and Social Security.
Bush successfully ran for re-election against Democratic Senator John Kerry in 2004, garnering 50.7% of the popular vote to his opponent's 48.3%. After his re-election, Bush received increasingly heated criticism from conservatives. In 2005, the Bush Administration dealt with widespread criticism over its handling of Hurricane Katrina. In December 2007, the United States entered the longest post-World War II recession, prompting the Bush Administration to take more direct control of the economy, enacting multiple economic stimulus packages. Though Bush was a popular president for much of his first term, his popularity declined sharply during his second term.
After leaving office, Bush returned to Texas. He is currently a public speaker and is writing a book about his presidency.
Alternate versions of Bush have been discovered throughout the multiverse:
- George Bush (President Delay)
- George Bush Jr. (The Many Nations of North America)
- George W. Bush (The Capitol Burns)
- George W. Bush (Clinton Who?)
- George W. Bush (Florida Voted Blue)
- George W. Bush (Myers Way)
- George W. Bush (No Cigarette Advertising Ban in America)
- George Bush (President of Texas) (Oldenburg Sweden)
- George W. Bush (President McCain)
- The George W. Bush Administration, 2005-09 (The Gipper Goes Down)
- George Walker Bush (PS-1)
- President George W. Bush (The Kingdom of the United States)
- George W. Bush (The Hammer, The Sickle, The Earth)
- George W. Bush (The Eagle Looks to the Right)
- George W. Bush (Gore's Revenge)