Jefferson Finis Davis (June 3, 1808 – December 6, 1889) was an American politician who served as 1st President of the Confederate States of America for its entire history, 1861 to 1865, during the American Civil War.
A West Point graduate, Davis fought in the Mexican-American War as a colonel of a volunteer regiment, and was the United States Secretary of War under Franklin Pierce. Both before and after his time in the Pierce Administration, he served as a U.S. Senator from Mississippi. As a senator, he argued against secession, but believed each state was sovereign and had an unquestionable right to secede from the Union.
Davis resigned from the Senate in January 1861, after receiving word that Mississippi had seceded from the Union. The following month, he was provisionally appointed President of the Confederate States of America. He was elected to a six-year term that November. During his presidency, Davis was not able to find a strategy to defeat the more industrially developed Union. Davis' insistence on independence, even in the face of crushing defeat, prolonged the war.
After Davis was captured May 10, 1865, he was charged with treason, though not tried, and stripped of his eligibility to run for public office. This limitation was posthumously removed by order of Congress and President Jimmy Carter in 1978, 89 years after his death. While not disgraced, he was displaced in Southern affection after the war by its leading general, Robert E. Lee.
Alternate versions of Jefferson Davis have been discovered throughout the multiverse:
- Jefferson Davis (A Southron World)
- Jefferson Davis (Brothers No More)
- Jefferson Davis (Confederacy wins Antietam)
- Jefferson Davis (Confederate America)
- Jefferson Davis (Forested Bosworth)
- Jefferson Davis (King of America)
- Jefferson Davis (Look Away)
- Jefferson Davis (My Own Dixie)
- Jefferson Davis, 14th President of the United States (President Davis)
- Jefferson Davis (Shattered States)
- Jefferson Davis (Southern Victory)
- Jefferson Davis, 1st President of the Confederate States (The Blood Spilt in Dixie)
- Jefferson Davis (The Found Order)
- Jefferson Davis (Two Americas)