Map Games are collaborative althistory games in which a starting map is posted and players take turns making changes to the map and posting alternate history events.
Active Map Games
Merveilles du Monde (Map Game) A Map Game set in the medieval age and is the spiritual successor to the Principia Moderni series
Magna est bellum - A Map Game set in 1898 before the Great War.
The Terrorists and the West (Map Game) - A Map Game set in 2001 just after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Many nations to play as and more to come.
- Interesting Times (Map Game) - A Map Game set in the warring states period of China. Around 100 nations to chose from. Barbarian tribes are also playable. (HIATUS)
- Libera et Impera (Map Game) - A Map Game set in mid 17th century, centered on exploration. Native American tribes, Pirates and Chartered companies included other than nations.
- The Terrorists and the West (Map Game) - A Map Game set in 2001 just after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Many nations to play as and more to come.
Games end once they reach the present year or an earlier predetermined ending. These games have reached that point:
- Map Game - The first Map Game. It ended because of year limits (up to 1 June 2010 on this wiki). It is also notable for at one point being more active than Talk:1983: Doomsday and having one of its maps used by Wikia to advertise this wiki. Founded by Baconton.
- Rebirth of the World Map Game - Finally got to 2010.
- Atlantic Islands - The first map game to be used specifically for a timeline, all of the islands were colonized.
- Axis vs Allies Revised - Reached an agreed endpoint between the last two players.
- No Nukes - Reached the present year (2012)
- Hot Cold War - Game about World War III but ended in ASB.
- Principia Moderni - Worldwide map game of military, economy, and exploration.
- Night of the Living Alternate History - Original map game created by Mscoree. On October 1, 1968 George A. Romero released the film, Night of the Living Dead. Today it is viewed as the beginning of Zombies on the big screen, but what if that’s not all it inspired? Noted as being one of the most popular map games ever created.
- Principia Moderni III - Popular sequel to the first two Principia Moderni map games. Begins in 1400, near the approximate beginning of the modern era. Currently the longest-running map game record-holder. Reached the time of its ending, 2015.
For the most part, games are marked defunct due to inactivity, if you feel like continuing a defunct map game feel free as long as it is not one of the few that have finished. This list is incomplete.
- Land of Opportunity - Died due to inactivity.
- Europe 1100 - Inactivity.
- Europe 1430 - Second longest running map game, defunct due to inactivity.
- States of America Map Game - Inactivity.
- World War I Map Game - Map game created by Fedelede.
- Imperial Europe Map Game - A map game based on colonization created by Michael Douglas. Died due to inactivity.
- The New & Improved map game - Devolved into a quagmire of implausibility and no one was posting maps anymore, so it was abandoned.
- The New Map Game - Abandoned, since some thought it was boring.
- Human Evolution - collapsed into non-existence (this is what should have happened).
- Colonisation Map Game - Died after many of the editors grew tired of the implausibility and problems with the game's rules.
- Human Evolution 2.0 - Died, not edited.
- The Second Crusade? Never heard of it!
- Axis vs Allies - A Map Game on WW-II, starts in 1933. Died due to lack of interest.
- Scramble for Africa - The Colonization of Africa, no edits for almost a month.
- US Civil War Map Game - The South wins the Civil War, no edits for the whole summer.
- States of America 2 - Awesome game of the end of the USA during the Great Depression. Two months inactive.
- Cold War! - Inactive.
- Five Country War, No Nukes - Map game in Europe, between five mainland Europe countries, starts in 1648.
- Peaceful Democracy - Map game on an unknown landmass.
- Radioactive Tide - A world where society advanced much faster, but had a nuclear war, hasn't been touched since January 5, 2012.
- Imperial Europe Map Game 2 - Second Imperial Europe game created by PitaKang. Revived, but went super implausible and most people left, except one person who just copy-pasted the same thing then left.
- Fractured America - The CSA wins the civil war. Everyone quit because of the biased moderation.
- The Greater Americas - Inactivity.
- Allies vs Entente A WW-I of Axis vs Allies, Died due to inactivity.
- Vive la Revolution! - Died of Massive Expansion.
- Subterranean Europe - Map Game that got its name from 11th Touhou Game, Subterranean Animism. This map game was about the Black Death destroying 73% of Europe and the recovery. The creator decided to quit the map game as it got boring.
- Battle for Earth - Closed.
- Fractured America Revised and Reloaded - Game was declared dead by its owner.
- Axis vs Allies: Reloaded - Gradually died off.
- Triple Entente vs. Central Powers - Gradually died off.
- Vive La Revolution Reloaded! - Gradually died off.
- New Beginning - Gradually died off.
- Lobositz's Lamentable Loss - Died.
- Medieval World - Died.
- Industrial Revolution - Died.
- Axis vs Allies: Reborn - Died
- States of America: Northern Defeat - Died
- Colonial World - Died
- Battle for Earth Strikes Back! - Next game of the popular Battle for Earth series.
- Principia Moderni II - Popular sequel to the Principia Moderni map game.
- Look Out, Sir! Revised - Sequel to the first Look Out, Sir map game. Unlike the previous one, which began on the eve of World War II, this one begins right before World War I.
- Romae Delenda Est - Dead.
- Axis vs Allies Resurrection - Gradually died off, despite Nile's efforts.
- Treaty of Amiens - Shut down by creator Dreamcaster, revived by TheTimMan shortly afterward, but soon abandoned again due to lack of activity.
- The Global War - Began in 1912 and finished in 1928 due to implausibility. Vatonica (the creator) couldn't post very much at that time, and a lack of algos.
- Dawn of War - Began in 1948 and lasted until 1975. After an alternative WW II, which ends in 1948, the world is in a different place. Was one of the most popular map games of 2015 but was ruined by aliens in my opinion.
- The Ashes of Rome - Began in 500 AC after an alternative Roman falling. Lasted until 780 but died of inactivity. A reboot may come out soon.
- Battle of Britain - Made by AH28, started in 1940 after the Germans won the Battle of Britain. The game was stopped at 1949 and restarted at 1946 but failed. A reboot won't be coming out.
- Diversa Pars II - A reboot to Diversa Pars but ended in 2000.
- The Global War Resurrected - Starts in 1910, the 3rd one in the series made by vat. Ended by vats choice.
- Atomic World - Started in 1962, after a deadly thermonuclear war, the game died a few turns afterward due to inactivity.
- Ninety-Five Theses - Led by Sat and later Rex, this was an exciting look at Reformation Europe and the surrounding world from 1517 to 1546 CE.
- Emancipation - Started 1861, died off due to worsening ASB and lack of activity/interest.
- The Great Peace - Was a popular map game in 2018, died due to moderators deciding to end the game. Was revived again in 2019 but died again as moderators decided to focus on a spiritual successor.
- Origo Mundi - due to moderator leaving for unknown reasons.
- Principia Moderni IV - Popular sequel to the first three Principia Moderni map games. Begins in 1400, near the approximate beginning of the modern era. Died due to inactivity, but then was revived, then died again
- Mundus Novus - The Americas are the center of civilization, with the Old World appearing ripe for colonization. Began in the 1490s, with 5-year turns. Moderators quit to start new map game.
- Terra Ultra - Died of inactivity suddenly. Moderator stopped caring after that point.
- The End of Peace (Map Game)
- A whole lot more, but most of them never really got off the ground.