After a long trek through Asia spanning two decades, Venetian explorer Marco Polo published the compiled journal of his travels in 1295. He described in great detail the Near East, with its many castles and fortresses held by many mighty empires. He entered the Gate of Iron, through which Alexander crossed into the east millennia ago. He toured the eight kingdoms of Persia and witnessed scores of miracles and wonders, many of which he dared not publish for he felt his audiences would not believe what he wrote. He described in great detail the exploits of the great Kublai Khan, the intrigue in the Emperor's court, the sprawling landscape of Yuan China, and the massive battles that took place during his stay.
Polo named his work Livre des Merveilles du Monde - Book of the Marvels of the World. In publishing these journals, he brought knowledge of the eastern world back to Europe and vice versa. Just like that, the world got a little bit smaller. The Holy Roman Empire - locked in a state of interregnum with no end in sight - became aware of the wars of Kublai Khan. The faltering Byzantine Empire and its breakaway state of Trebizond became the subject of discussion from Lisbon to Kathmandu. The wealthy Abu Bakr II of Mali would seek to follow in Polo's footsteps, paving the way for the rise of Mansa Musa. The Kamakura Shogunate of Japan defeated wave after wave of Mongol forces while, an ocean over, Mesoamerica was still reeling from the fall of the Toltec Empire.
Merveilles du Monde is a spiritual successor to the Principia Moderni franchise. It sets the clock back to the year 1295, in the Late Middle Ages - in other words, an era of great change and great suffering - an era in which nations rose and fell - an era in which power was cemented ...
- Death: Curmudgeonly yours - Crim 01:38, October 14, 2019 (UTC)
- Famine: User:Nathan1123
- Pestilence: Feudy McPlagueface (talk)
- War: User:Tullin
- Rules and Algorithm (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Religion (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Holy Roman Empire (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Feudal Dynasty (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- College of Cardinals (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Nations (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Flags (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Treaties (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
The invasions of Timor into the Middle East has reduced western Iran into chaos as cities are plundered as seized. The devastation to the agriculture escalates the scale of the conqueror's death count. The nobles of Esfahan grant him the title of Shah of Persia, now ruling an empire bordering the Abbasid Caliphate.
Western Europe continues to drag out their own conflict in isolation from these eastern wars. Both the nobles in France and Spain grow wary of their respective rulers, and hope to achieve some singificant victory one way or another or begin to lose confidence in their government. This is particularly true in Spain which normally is more centralized than France.
Venice cedes the cities of Trento, Ferrara and Ravenna as independent, and uses the excess money to fully restore the Venetian Arsenal. Ferrara attempts to enter a phase of expansion to recover what they lost in the War of the Bucket, and invades the newly-independent Ravenna. Ravenna appeals to the Pope to become a Papal protectorate against these attacks.
The Mato Dynasty is deposed by Minjo, who establishes the Kingdom of Kaffa in Ethiopia. He appeals to the Emperor to affirm his vassalization to the Empire.
The Great Temple of Huitzilopochtli in Mexico City is established, being the largest center of human sacrifice in the world. Elsewhere in the world, the Candi Surawana Temple is constructed in Kediri, Java, and the San Petronia Basilica is established in Bologna.
The Italian painter Altichiero brings a height to Gothic mural art.
Alexios III the Great of Trebizond dies.
- The Iroquois Confederacy: We keep healing the sick.We tell our people that this sickness is on us we put the sick in different villages for them, we avoided diseased villages and educated others about traveling into infected areas, we stay far from Abenaki areas, We start to hunt and move around about our nation more, we start to sell furs and beads to other tribes, we make more worshiping places around out nations we start to have more oral and cultural exchanges with each other, we start to trap animals for fur, we start to make a lot of weapons for the future, we build more longhouses around the nation, peace for now is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each Tribe. This also develops major cultural connections within the Five Tribes, we also pass down many stories, we expand moderately southwest and make peaceful contact with any tribes there, we expand swiftly south east, we have many births during this time, this is the region of Hiawatha.
- Iceland: The Queen is involved a Scandal when she and Ari Arason have twins named Ariand Ólaf, the people love it but the Althingi disapproves but due to popular demand Archbishop Ari is Prime Minister as well as Queen Consort and Archbishop. Material is shipped to the Colonies. We send extra 2,000 troops under the Duke of Greenland. The Archbishop wants the Pope to repeal the nationwide excommunication. (Papal Response Needed).
- Papal diplomacy: Pope Clement VI will remove the excommunication if the Lollards of Iceland accept the same offers that the moderate Lollards of England accepted in the Council of York-Berwick. However, Ari Arason must leave his position of Archbishop and stay as a secular priest or other position. A celibate priest will be elected in a synod of native priests. The pontiff will sent Catechist priests with copies of the "Catechism" to be translated. The catechist priests will teach Icelandic priests to replace them as professors of the Catholic faith to the common people.
- Icelandic Dip: Ari retires as the Court Chaplain and is replaced by Hilmar Gunnarsson of Jan Mayen.
- Livonian Order: The Courland claims that Moscow was burned by Timurids, shock that heard in our Baltic nation in the territories the order was insisted formed by the Livonian Brothers of the Sword Riga is ready to participate with their side detenist that the pagans fight alongside the Timurids the army established a new colony in the Baltic to save Europe toward the new event of what's going on the people had to start to build and trade around the Baltic and Central Europe the Teutonics insist that he demand that the order must join the war against the Timurids the knights is involved that the Teutonic's position lead us in a future of our territory to power's respective the pagans are said to start preparing for war against our Christians in the duchy's and confederation actual the pagans started building their own armor paid for their tribes against our duchy during this time, is such a dark day in Livonia's territory this also developed some new kind territories that we could take it for it and start to make a lot of weapons paid by the duchy's authorities for the commissions the Teutonics leader start argue with the tribes chief for a war that is coming we expand in north east for administrator and control that is being paid for the commissions the pagan also introduce that they paid by among themselves for their own proposal's inspiration to us they had so many nomadic nations on their tribes we start to agriculturing amongs on the north steppes for farmer and such thing unlikley speaking of the war we send up sending 20,000 size sent by the castles's royality for the pagans war is coming and the Timurids notice who they're just 'the new apocalyptic imperial' like the Mongols for have been in the pass and many war cause it in Northen Europe to our tribes and nation at our first settlement immigration and such taxes that is paid by our Teutonic's leader in maintenance.
- Roman Empire: The death of Alexios III is taken heavily by John whose health has also begun to fail him. Although he does not abandon the throne he instructs Andronikos to return quickly such that he may take a more central role in ruling the empire. Manuel, John’s second son is also summoned, and John beseeches them both to remain loyal to the House of Palaiologos and to the Empire over which they rule. He is sure to remind them that many would see the capital and the empire fall, but civil war and political violence are the surest ways to doom them all. Manuel, a loyal supporter of his father, agrees to back Andronikos to prevent civil war. Meanwhile, he travels to the Despotate of Kotyaion where he leads the repair of the castle there as well as oversee efforts to re-christianize the Muslims in the region. Greek institutions have already benefited the large Greek minority in the area and many recent converts to Islam have rejoined the Orthodox Church. The military footing of the empire is somewhat reduced after news of the victory at Novgorod. While Timur remains a very powerful potential threat, he remains one that must pass through others to get to the empire itself. Work continues to reinforce the Wallachian-Dobruja frontier given the history of incursions but the imperial forces there are withdrawn barring several engineers and advisors. Andronikos, as bold as ever, decides now is the time to strike east. He raises an army around the core forces he took northward and marches on Candar (?) (The small nation on the Black Sea east of the Byzantine Empire and West of Sinop). The army, numbering 12,000 men, is supported by a fleet of 30 war galleys and 50 merchant ships called up for service. The force is comprised of 2,000 kataphraktoi, 4,000 koursorses, and 6,000 men armed with a mix of menaulatoi and crossbows. Furthermore, the Esovestiaritai, the imperial bodyguard are equipped with small hand cannons in addition to their equipment as kataphraktoi. The force assaults the Beylik’s capital, seeking to force a siege before the Bey can raise his banners to arms. [Algo Needed] Small, light cannons are brought to the siege with emphasis placed on maneuverability over power.
- Papal States: Pope Clement VI agrees to place Ravenna under papal protection. However, the pontiff proposes that Ravenna be united to the Papal States as the Province of Ravenna, this way they can be more effectively protected by the papal army. Clement VI says that if accepted, the ruler of Ravenna will receive the title of Papal Vicar and will meet with the pope in the end of each month in the Council of Vicars to discuss about the administration and problems of the provinces [MOD response needed, please]. The destruction caused by Timur to Novgorod cause more consternation in Rome. The pope declares that all the Christians, both Catholic and Orthodox, that died fighting the Devil of the Steppes and his Horde from Hell are Martyrs of the Faith. He declares July 27 as the feast day of the Martyrs of the Steppes. In August, the pontiff celebrates the marriage of Albert IV of Habsburg with Teresa De Medici and two months later, Clement celebrates the marriage of William of Habsburg with Maria Spinola. A letter from the pope is sent to the Palaiologos of Montferrat asking a member of this family to marry Leopold IV, son of Leopold III of Habsburg [MOD response needed, please]. Duke Aubert III of Habsburg start to finance modifications in the Church of Santa Maria della Pietà to turn it into a place worthy of the Habsburg. This year, the Holy Father creates as cardinal Henrik Karlsson (Sweden).
- Ravenna agrees
- Mali Empire: Simba's obsession with the extermination of the Songhai proved ultimately to be his undoing. Archaeology shows that many smaller villages or supply depots had been completely depopulated from the mass relocation, while larger cities and settlements saw a gradual shift to Mandike culture. However, this diversion of the military significantly detracted from the resources Simba was mounting for an attempted invasion of Kanem. At the same time, the Songhai refugees were quickly employed by Dawud as mercenaries to bolster his own military. This is most likely the contributing factors that led to the decisive victory of Dawud in the Battle of Diu. Following that battle, Dawud was able to press the advantage with his own Nigerian campaign over the next six months, leading up to the Siege of Kano. In general, Simba was a capable commander and could beat Dawud in every open battle, and was able to prevent Dawud from achieving any direct opening toward Mali itself. Knowing this ahead of time, Dawud made sure to avoid Simba's army and engage him as little as possible, instead instigating frequent revolts and insurrections by the Nigerian people of the south. By the end of the year, Dawud had succeeded in occupying most of upper Nigeria as far as Abujah. At home, however, Dawud's government faced immediate problems with effectively organizing their own Gbara and Farima system, and instead fell to more autocratic direct rule by the Sefawa Dynasty. Meanwhile, Simba was able to still work on the improvement and restructure of the Malian Navy at the port of Dakar, using ships bought from Portugal as a new model of vessels to bas from.
- Kingdom of England : With England intervening in the Conflict between France and Spain , Edward IV passes away from dynasty leaving John of Gaunt to succeed the throne as the Duke of Lancaster is crowned King of England on the 22 June 1390 as John II of England. Shortly after he is crowned John II decides to fully intervene in the Franco - Spanish Conflict and send a larger force of 25,000 men to assist Spain in defeating France as a means to push John II’S father's claim on the French throne. The English Armies land in Brittany and split in 2, one force of 17,000 placed under the command of Prince Henry Bollingbroke while the second force composed of 8,000 men would be placed under the command of Thomas, Duke of Gloucester. The main force of Prince Henry move across Normandy pillaging any city they see in an attempt to draw out the French and then head toward Flanders to met up with the other 9,000 Burgundians amassed there. Meanwhile the Secondary Force moves forth to begin attacking and looting Cities and towns in Northwestern France in order to use the looted resources to fund the English War-Effort. In addition to this Burgundy’s recent alliance proposal is accepted as John II sees this as a great opportunity for expansion in France. Meanwhile with with the growing tensions with Scotland 8,000 men remain in Wales just in case the Scottish launch an attack against England as shown through previous border incursions. Meanwhile for the Lollard Question, King John II decides to fully intervene in the Lollard affair fully backing the Moderate Lollards against the heretical Radical Lollards and offers to aid them build their sui iuris Church while also sending a Moderate Lollard Ambassador to Rome to facilitate this process and to ensure that the Pope knows that the Lollard Affair will soon be dealt with as John II sends his men to hunt down these Radical Lollards in order to enforce the Pope’s Excommunication.
- Swiss Confederacy: With the situation in Austria and Hungary at a standstill and the Habsburgs having seemingly quieted their pushing to return to Austria for now, the Central Council decides not to push this issue further at the moment. They continue the involvement in the war in France, however, and the 3,500 Swiss mercenaries in France are maintained. The Central Council continues to examine the recent instabilities in England as said nation re-enters the conflict in France without the discontent over the disastrous reign of Edward IV being fully resolved. Adding, hearing of growing discontent in Spain, priests of the Western Church in Navarre begin to urge peasants to demand their government ceases this overlong conflict that is draining their country's resources, including Navarre. (Mod response for peasants) The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy returns to the western border of the nation as the French conflict takes priority over the Austrian one, and works on fortifying the cities of Basel, Solothurn and Fribourg by improving city walls and building watchtowers. The Central Council is somewhat nervous about the Habsburg family getting a position of power in the Papal States but to remain silent on this for now. Domestically, the government works on recruiting new soldiers and mercenaries from the peasantry, particularly in the western cantons of Bern, Fribourg and Sion. Meanwhile, the new Canton of Disentis sends envoys to some independent villages to its east extending to Rhäzüns, Safien and Vals (OOC: the northern half of the OTL Grey League), urging them to join the Canton of Disentis for the benefits of shared infrastructure and greater trade. (Mod response) In Paris, Marie of Geneva-Lenzburg and Louis XI Capet, Dauphin of France have their first child, a son they name Victor II Capet (b. 1390). (OOC: General said I could write about the children of this marriage.) Heinrich II, Count of Lenzburg visits them in Paris to celebrate the birth. Later in the year, William V, King of Arles and Bonne of Berry have their third child, a daughter named Marie (b. 1390). Scholars of the Bern Library realise the coat-of-arms cards the Zürich Library is selling never include their Canton of Bern, but the young nobles buying these cards haven't seemed to realise and think the Bern cards must simply be very rare. They also notice the nobles trading and selling uncovered cards amongst themselves to try to obtain a full set of all Swiss cantons. The Bern Library decides to take advantage of this by printing some cards in the style of the Zürich ones with the coat of arms of the Canton of Bern and having scholars pose as merchants to sell these as the mysteriously rare Bern cards from the Zürich set. These cards are able to gather a significantly higher individual price than the cards printed by the Zürich Library (wherein each canton except Bern is distributed equally often, aside from Disentis which only joined the Confederacy after the start of printing and is thus only included in later "runs" of printing) due to the Bern cards being perceived as rare by the nobles.
- All three cities agree.
- Though there are some rabble-rousers, no cohesive uprising in Navarre takes place.
- Kingdom of Eiru: As Burgundy and Lotharingia make peace this improves trade but as England goes to war against France it makes it worse again. The longbow continues to be trained upon by free men giving a steady core any raised army. Small scale migration to Iceland occurs while supplies including horticultural glass for the construction of greenhouses, ice boats, sleds, fishing equipment including ice fishing equipment, winter clothing (made of wool and leather), fishing boats and ice shanties which are portable wooden huts which can be pulled by men and or dogs are dispatched to Iceland for use in Greenland being transported by Oighear's through the ice East Greenland Current. Blackrock castle at Cork continues construction along with rebuilding work at Coleraine castle while work on the ports as funding from Parliament continues leads to a modest expansion in the size of the towns. Further land enclosure is carried out by Brenndanus within Tir Eoghain. Sporadic raiding and endemic warfare continues as is fairly normal for Gaelic Ireland. The export of wool, whisky and mined minerals continues. Eoin education begins primarily in Gaelic but he will be bilingual. The navy continues anti-piracy patrols. Gaelic is mostly used outside of the Pale amongst the nobility.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": A truce has been established between the kingdom of Lotharingia and Burgundy. As the war begins to cost more and more lifes then what both nations seem to call reasonable. Thus with this the 1390 treaty of Ghent has been created and signed, which gives some land to Lotharingia and the County of Aalst and Zeeland. This in return for the end of the blockade, and formal recognision as Burgundy as a county in the empire. Thus both armies can focus on greater issues for the King and emperor that being the invasions in the east and the economy and navy of the kingdom itself. The senate being unable for the duration of the war to make itself a proper entity, as the war made it so that preventing a colapse was of greater importance. As many of the nobles in Lotharingia were rebelling against the crown, squashing these rebelions and making them understand the Senatorial cause being very important. As they had to pass a lot of laws regarding the war, these laws being temporary as they were made to be annulled four months after the signing of a peace treaty with Burgundy. So the Senatus Regus Lotharri begins to plan to make a new constition before the 1st May 1391, This to legimitise the senates and king's rule. The Emperor Personally ordering the troops from the empire, back to their countries of origin. This is done as the soldiers are no longer needed by the Emperor and Rex Lotharii. This also helping the economy as farmers now can use their grains to sell for a bigger profit then they were able to do so before.
- Timur Empire: With failure at Novgorod Timur hears word of this and finds it to be inexcusable, he calls them back home daring Novgorod to try and survive a Russian winter with no farmable land. He travels to India with his full 180,000 might. Any trade convoys they cross are ransacked villages are sacked but not burned as they trek to the Capital of Hindustan demanding submission or death. (Algo for northwestern India if Dev wants to challenge me).
- Japanese Empire: The empire suffers a great tragedy this year as emperor Yoshishege passes in his sleep. His son, crown prince Kemmu takes over in an elaborate court ceremony now in his mid 20's. The ceremony is conducted during the Hanami (cherry blossom festival) and he takes the title "Heian Emperor" as a public display of the restoration and rebirth of Heian period cultural and artistic elements. This brings Japan cleanly into what is described as the Second Heian period with the architecture taking over the country by storm as the Heian elements are kept but brought into more modern buildings. Waka, and Kanshi poetry is put out in great amounts as well as the influenced formed of Raiku and renge poetry. As Kemmu takes the throne he immediately convenes the Joen, and the Councillar General. He makes his intention known that the Empire can and will tame their mainland frontier province, as well as bring Karafuto in as a fully fledged province during his reign. This is a notable shift in policy toward Manzhuguo (Manchuria) as the previous emperors have been extremely content to leave the province in a highly autonomous state and allow the resident manchus to live on their territories as they see fit. This however has taken a drastic turn as in the last decade or two since the marching of Tian and Oirat armies that tens of thousands of Manchus have relocated to the frontier region of Manzhu. This inflates the population of the Manchus greatly which forces the city of Aimoi to petition for support from the Imperial administration. 3 months after his declaration to more notably civilize and build up Manzhu the request for assistance from the capital of the frontier province arrives. This prompts Kemmu to organize an expeditionary force of 15,000 troops as well as assorted engineers, surveyors, and civil administrators to leave to Manzhu under command of the Kemmu's Kampaku and closest friend, Hitori of the Amago clan. As the expedition arrives it becomes clear that many of the recent immigrant manchus are not exactly in the best of health and are low on actionable manpower and have suffered greatly as a result of the wars to the north, east, and south. The force immediately goes about cataloging and conducting a census of the manchu communities. This also sees the reconstruction of the walls around Aimoi giving the city plenty of room to grow further but also gives it a serious defense for the future. other plans are made to approach various of the beleagured manchu communities and offer them a chance to more properly settle down and not have to move again in which some of the more damaged and devastated tribes accept in small numbers. This does also begin to see some serious planning in order to develop more proper roadways, and settlements in the region and a small labor force is sent to widen and solidify the road going along the Amur river to Amuraji. Further development is also propogated in Karafuto as the northern port sees its first true blue trade arriving directly. Explorers also continue to push into the great northern sea beginning to chart the land to the north albeit with great difficulty due to the weather and relative inhospitability of the regions further to the north. The development of a small outpost on the Luzon islands northern section is completed with a permanent population of about 25 traders from the Osaka trade guilds who look to get into contact with the natives to attempt more trade deals.
- Majapahit Empire: With the Kingdom of Singapura vassal to Majapahit, efforts and resources are turned inward to maintaining trade and continuing to construct infrastructure across Sumatra. The court nobles and officials start moving into Cirebon as it becomes the capital of Majapahit and adjust to the role. Muslim merchants have witnessed a steady stream of them converting in order to join the guild within Majapahit for the benefits it offers. Orders have been given to the navy to vastly increase its size in order to better ensure it is capable of protecting and securing the sea lanes it patrols.
- The Spanish Crown: As Commander De Roses celebrates the victory over the French during the "Carcasses of Carcassonne", a burial site is commemorated to all the soldiers who had died outside Carcassonne. Much needed supplies are provided to civilians as needed from Spain's great imports and exports. With greater level of profits from trade abroad, Spain is able to hold up a steady supply of produce and livestock to be used to feed our men outside of the zones disrupted for trade within France securing our supply routes through roads and nearby depots such as now Carcassonne, Beziers, Montpellier, and Figueres including Barcelona and Perpignan. This would allow for optimal funneling of supplies and now with the intervention of England, less strain would be applied to the Spanish Army as they are able to reorganize and with the scorched earth tactics around Toulouse, the now resupplied, and reinforced forces numbering 30,000 are positioned in the bordering countryside of the city of Toulouse. The English forces also join. Weakened by reduced numbers and facing the pillaging of enemy allies and supply shortage, the attack begins with the city cut off and stripped from the means of outside connection with the Spanish positioning their siege weaponry and cannons around the perimeter of defenses. With protection provided, these weapons would assault first to provoke conflict as the Frenchmen would have no choice but to attack against them. As the Frenchmen would charge, the archers would swoop in with their longbows from right and left of center firing a fury of arrows before the center force of infantrymen would begin to drive forward against Frenchmen moved away from their defensive positions making them to be easier targets as if they were to remain in their defenses, they would face annihilation from the various siege-craft used and even at the most optimal circumstances, they may starve. With that being said as the Spanish engage with the French, pikemen and men with swords in the infantry would gather with the archers to envelop the French as with the arrival of the trusted Spanish Cavalry, a pincer and flanking formation would form from the sides and crush the French where they stand. Meanwhile with the crippling Spanish Armada still providing nothing but devastation to French Trade by Sea and starvation to coastal towns, cities, and Villages by the combination of piracy and raids, this action would continue. An offer once again is suggested to the French Noblemen to alter their allegiance as with the Spanish at Toulouse, The Duchy of Burgundy in rebellion, and England now pushing down against France with their losses piling, they are asked to rise up against the King of France for his incompetence has done nothing but stain the title. Spanish Spies as well begin to fund peasant movements due to the economic instability in the region and the growing chaos within France that is at the brink to burst [Mod Response].
- Rasulid Dynasty: Sultan Al-Ashraf Isma'il. The city of San'a is made the capital of the Sultanate. Aden maintains itself as the trading hub of the Sultanate. The Grand mosque of San'a begins to see the picking of where to place the mosque. Al- Ashraf Isma'il begins to work on a navy, first by trying to hire people who can help on this endeavor around the world. We send any envoy to the Banu Yam tribe demanding if they join the Sultanate or face an invasion of 12,000 troops (MOD RESPONSE/ALGO) .
- Kingdom of France: Having spent more than a year in the country rallying support from the nobility and the people, Louis X has raised a sizable army. Although he would like to stay and raise more troops, news of the fall of Carcassonne and the advance of the Spanish to Toulouse means he must act now. Leading an army of 34,000, composed of 2/3 vassal levies and 1/3 royal troops, the king rushes to the defense of Toulouse. Joining him are the 2,000 valiants of Rogerin Hérisson, the 5,000 remnants of Grégory Enguerran (who would have retreated to Toulouse following their defeat at Carcassonne), and the 3,500 veterans of the Swiss captains. They directly engage the Spanish besiegers in an epic battle upon the fields and walls. Meanwhile, available levies are raised across the north of France (in the provinces of Picardy, Flanders, and Normandy) to contest the Anglo-Burgundian invasion. These are consolidated under the command of Jean de Valerie, the Parisian knight. An army of 12,000 is placed under the command of Antstian Nathecou and sent to block Henry Bollingbroke's army in its advance from Brittany.
- Latin Empire of Romania: After four years of construction a wall on the Serbian border is finished which is supposed to protect us from any invasion by them. also We still help Hungary in their war by giving them 4,000 troops to fight the heretics in the east. This also means that we a still working with the Holy League and the Latin League as a whole.In the Kingdom of Albania it has been 2 years since Karl Thopia died and now his heir is old enough to reign and he becomes king George Thopia of Albania. In the Princapality of Achaea Prince Charles III starts to crack down on the Barbary pirarts by setting up coastal fortifications in the southern coast of Achaea. In the Duchy of the Archipelago Duke Francesco I Crispo has a son named Whilliam II Crispo. also the Castle Apano-Castro is built on the island of Naxos. In the County of Caria Marshal Andrezej Oligerd starts to expand the port in Izmir to allow for more troop transports to be be in the port to transport recuits to the training camps in Aydin. He expects this to be complete by 1392. In the Duchy of Athens a minor revolt occurs Livadia due to taxes. fishing in Lake Prespa caught more fish lowering the price of fish by 0.3% and keeping the nation fed.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Emperor gladly affirms Minjo and the Kingdom of Kaffa’s status as a vassal of the Empire, offering to marry one of his sons, Zara Yaqob, to one of Minjo’s daughters [MOD RESPONSE NEEDED]. Ethiopians continue to work as weavers in Mogadishu, becoming more experienced at weaving as more and more Ethiopians immigrate to Mogadishu. The Christian population in Mogadishu rises as a result, causing numerous clergymen to visit Mogadishu and set up there to minister to the Christians and attempt to convert Muslim Somalis. Trade with the Swahili continues as well as with inland tribes. Currency continues to be introduced in Imperial cities through subsidies, tax cuts, and policies encouraging the adoption of currency. With almost everyone in Imperial cities, ranging from merchants to peasant laborers, using currency, the Empire concludes its attempts to introduce currency in the Imperial cities are a profound success, and plan to use the same procedures to introduce currency outside of the Imperial cities. The Empire plans to introduce currency to the Amharic and Tigray regions of the Empire, hoping that the other tribes of the Empire will more willingly accept currency after seeing the benefits conferred on the Amharic and Tigray by their adopting of currency.
- He agrees on the marriage
After ten years in war against France without a strongly supported claim, in the face of general unrest at home, the nobles of Spain ally together into a group known as the "Lordes Apelación", led by Count James I of Urgell. After assuming majority of the Council of Toledo, they quickly accuse the close advisers of King Francisco of treason, having them executed or exiled. They present the King with an ultimatum to grant them the ability of further rooting out traitors and heretics in the Kingdom, which would effectively give them temporary de-facto power. The only key nobles not in this group are the generals that currently lead the Occitanian Conflict in France. Certainly, no one expected the Lordes Apelación.
The prolonged conflict between Spain and France likewise sees significant peasent revolts in both nations, particularly among the Basque in Spain as well as around Orleans in France. Toledo and Sevile erupts into Jewish pogroms. Count Gaston III of Foix establishes the Principality of Andorra as a semi-independent nation.
The expeditions of the Japanese north crossed the border into the Four Oirot Khanate, dirsupting the cities that they are in the process of settling. Being a peaceful tributary and ally of the Tian Emperor, they ask the Emperor to mediate the dispute
Tokhtaymish decides to no longer be a puppet of Timur, and attacks the Timurid outposts at the Oxus River with 30,000 hordes. He also subjugates the horde east of him, the "Blue Horde" as his own vassal.
Emperor John V of Byzantium dies. His grandson John VII (not a typo) siezes the throne of Constantinople while Andronikas his father is campaigning in Pontica.
The revolt in Jutland subsides with the acceptance of Birger Haakonson as King of Denmark to succeed Olaf II.
With the severe disruption in western India caused by Timur's invasion, the Sultanate of Kabulistan under Mahmud Haydar breaks off from Hindustan.
Gedun Drub, the first Dalai Lama is reincarnated this year.
The Empire of Nyazwe centered at Zimbabwe falls into a civil war over succession of the crown, between rival rulers of the districts of Matabeland and Mutape.
With the various conflict of central Europe starting to subside, the Premsylid Dynasty of Bohemia asserts more direct influence over the Imperial Diet of Aachen, using the Anti-Imperial sentiment to assume more support for their dynasty as a whole.
With the succuess of the Byzantine Empire on the Pontic coast, the Hamadid Dynasty forms the remaining Turkic Beyliks into a coalition to protect against any Christian nation, jointly controlled by them and the Karanids.
As China continuse to surge ahead of Europe technolgoically, they manage to invent toilot paper this year. Also, some Taoist scholars petition that the Emperor should take responsibility for China's climate, suggesting he should plant 20 million new trees in the empire.
- The Iroquois Confederacy: We are glad we have other tribes in our nation they can Governor themselves but we can call them for war,We start to hunt and move around about nation more, we start to sell furs and beads to other tribes, we make more worshiping places around out nations we start to have more oral and cultural exchanges with each other, we start to trap animals for fur, we start to make a lot of weapons for the future, we build more longhouses around the nation, peace for now is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each Tribe. This also develops major cultural connections within the Five Tribes, we also pass down many stories,we expand swiftly southwest and make peaceful contact with any tribes there, we expand swiftly south to the sea, we also expand west, we have many births during this time, this is the region of Hiawatha.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Empire expands its introduction of currency to the Amharic and Tigray regions of the Empire. Significant tax cuts are granted to those who pay their taxes in currency while trade posts, trade agents and Imperial Guards are issued currency to make their purchases. By now all merchants based in Imperial cities use currency, as well as most, if not all, of the population within the Imperial cities. Ethiopian trade offices in the Swahili city states begin hearing of a large island located somewhere offshore of the Swahili states from Swahili merchants who trade with the island’s natives. With weaving textiles becoming a large part of the Ethiopian economy, cotton farming becomes widespread due to demand and due to government encouragement via tax cuts and subsidies. Hindustani farmers coming from India also bring a new technology which helps cotton farming. Primarily they bring seed drills from Hindustan, which make it much easier to plant massive cotton fields. With cotton farming becoming more lucrative, Ethiopian settlers also begin expanding into the Ethiopian highlands, aiming to obtain more arable farmlands in order to grow more cotton. After years of attempting to replicate printing press technology, the Empire finally succeeds at finding a form of quick-drying ink that can be successfully pressed onto papyrus paper. This revolutionizes the Empire, with each Imperial city being given a printing press to mass produce Imperial decrees and notices. More importantly, the Emperor expresses his desire to begin mass producing the Bible in order to help spread Christianity throughout the Empire and hoping to make it more available for commoners and peasants. This causes conflict with the Bishop of Ethiopia, who opposes any attempts to allow peasants to learn the teachings of the Bible without first going through the Church. With the Church strongly objecting, the Emperor delays his plans to mass produce the Bible, though he continues to secretly desire to mass produce the Bible.
- Iceland: We continue to support the colonies and we thank the Celts for their help. With the reconnection to the Catholic Church we wish to regain a Cardinal seat(Papal Response Needed). The Earl of Arnarsland explores the landmass and names it Markúsarland (OTL Katannikik).
- Papal diplomacy: Pope Clement VI creates Hilmar Gunnarsson as cardinal.
- Livonian Order: We tell that we send moderate's position in duchy on the Baltics for christianized toward the people and such tribes the leader throughout that his leader's statues is in maintenance of payment any fortifications are being built well and mass producing food toward the region sent by the nobles the pagans for what know each their region are being occupied and the Teutonic's intervening with most of chief pagans tribes Slavic the semigilatians pagan among that they pay by their own chief territory across the Baltic Sea and the gulf of our territories the congress with the Teutonic order assume affirm that their payment is organized than the other the Teutonics, what is a new order of this period called to fight against the pagans Slavic of their dispute and such hostility well the duchy has paid Swedish boats for the superior organization on their side. The autonomy of the Livonian Order one of the branch of the Teutonic in their current position establish a new laws for this order requested by the congress Teutonic schools learn that children read in their own Slavic bible in their multi-ethical language no matter what the conflict will suggest that the Teutonic must face against, the pagans Slavic the Teutonic military order are well organized due their positions of environment of administrator superior to other Teutonic states came in Europe a base was built in Estonia for maintenance's activity toward a new conflict with the pagans and the Christians and produce payment for the ruler's Teutonic leader.
- Mali Empire: After the fall of Abujah late in 1390, Dawud seemed to be poised to press an invasion of Mali itself and an encirclement of Simba's forces. However, this victory was only briefly held before Kanem itself began to fall into chaos. Dawud's experiment of imitating Sundiata's Gbara had failed, and much of the Bornu Empire was threatened by divisive tribal factions and nobles. Any unrelated feudal vassal of the Gbara ahd claimed secession, and the remaining council had become nothing more than a front for the autocratic rule of the Sefawa Dynasty. In particular, the provisional faction of Kanem was ruled over by Rabih Al-Sadik, ruling much of the lands in the south toward Central Africa. Dawud returned with much of his army to seize control back over the capital, and for the most part restored order in Njimi. Much of the population of both Mali and Kanem found the war unwinnable, and both sides were pushing for establishing a peace. Simba knew he could not rewstore direct rule of Mali over the eastern territories, but at the same time Dawud knew that he could not control order in Kanem alone. So after a truce was called, the two parties met in the city of Kano in 1391, to establish a peaceful solution. The Treaty of Kano established the Empies of Mali and Bornu to jointly rule as a Dumvirate: Two separate nations of two separate Emperors, but coordinated and adminsitrated by the same Gbara under the Constitution of Sundiata. According to the legendary cycle of Simba, the Treaty of Kano was sealed by both himself and Dawud slitting their hands and mixing their blood, making the treaty a blood oath. In addition, Simba's daughter Mariam was given in marriage to Dawud's son Musa. Having established this arrangement, Simba was able to lend his armies to Dawud to crush the rebellion of Rabih, which was not fully completed until the next year. In the west, Simba continued to advance their naval technology with the aid of Portuguese sailors, but also with the help of the Sidinate ruled by Emir Mikhail. Under the new constitution, the Sidinate was given full authority on construction and maintenance of the Malian navy operating out of their ports.
- Papal States: Pope Clement VI sees the situation in España with apprehension. After having discussed about this situation with the Roman curia, the pontiff decides to stay neutral in this dispute. With the formation of the Province of Ravenna, the lord of Ravenna, Bernadino II da Polenta receives the title of Papal Vicar. Clement VI sends a letter to Trent, proposing that they become part of the Papal States as the Province of Trentino as protection against future threats. Their ruler will receive the title of Papal Vicar and continue to rule Trent, only needing to meet the pope in the end of each month in the meetings of the Council of Vicars to discuss the administration and problems of the province. If accepted, Trent will be placed under papal protection and the Papal Army will be responsible to help in cases of invasion. The pontiff also writes to Pisa and Siena asking for an alliance between the two and the papacy [MOD response needed, please]. Albert IV of Habsburg and Teresa de Medici have their first child, a boy named Albert. Pope Clement VI and Leopold the Just are able to marry Leopold's son, Leopold, with Vittoria Orsini, member of the powerful Orsini Family of Rome. A letter is sent to the House of Wettin asking for a member of this family to marry Leopold's son, Ernest [MOD response needed, please]. As a compromise to the return of Iceland to the Catholic Church, the pope asks for a noble girl to be sent to the Papal States. She will grow up in Castle of Monte San Giovanni under the tutelage of the Habsburg and will marry Frederick, the nine years old son of Leopold the Just, when reaching the age [Iceland response needed, please].
|13th century||14th century||15th century||16th century||17th century||18th century||19th century||20th century|