After a long trek through Asia spanning two decades, Venetian explorer Marco Polo published the compiled journal of his travels in 1295. He described in great detail the Near East, with its many castles and fortresses held by many mighty empires. He entered the Gate of Iron, through which Alexander crossed into the east millennia ago. He toured the eight kingdoms of Persia and witnessed scores of miracles and wonders, many of which he dared not publish for he felt his audiences would not believe what he wrote. He described in great detail the exploits of the great Kublai Khan, the intrigue in the Emperor's court, the sprawling landscape of Yuan China, and the massive battles that took place during his stay.
Polo named his work Livre des Merveilles du Monde - Book of the Marvels of the World. In publishing these journals, he brought knowledge of the eastern world back to Europe and vice versa. Just like that, the world got a little bit smaller. The Holy Roman Empire - locked in a state of interregnum with no end in sight - became aware of the wars of Kublai Khan. The faltering Byzantine Empire and its breakaway state of Trebizond became the subject of discussion from Lisbon to Kathmandu. The wealthy Abu Bakr II of Mali would seek to follow in Polo's footsteps, paving the way for the rise of Mansa Musa. The Kamakura Shogunate of Japan defeated wave after wave of Mongol forces while, an ocean over, Mesoamerica was still reeling from the fall of the Toltec Empire.
Merveilles du Monde is a spiritual successor to the Principia Moderni franchise. It sets the clock back to the year 1295, in the Late Middle Ages - in other words, an era of great change and great suffering - an era in which nations rose and fell - an era in which power was cemented ...
- Death: Curmudgeonly yours - Crim 01:38, October 14, 2019 (UTC)
- Famine: User:Nathan1123
- Pestilence: Feudy McPlagueface (talk)
- War: User:Tullin
- Rules and Algorithm (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Religion (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Holy Roman Empire (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Feudal Dynasty (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- College of Cardinals (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Nations (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Flags (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
- Treaties (Merveilles du Monde Map Game)
Around the world, the falling temperatures caused by the sudden population drop since the Black Death reaches a steady minimum, as it will last for a very long time. In North America, this causes the Nordic settlements currently held by Iceland and Vinland to face increasing difficulty in sustaining populations and agriculture. The Thule culture particularly capitalizes on the recent Icelandic Civil War to begin expanding their migration into the region. Farther south, the League of Mayapan suffers from bouts of famines as well with the dropping temperatures, as does the remnants of the Cahokie civilization.
The Jarldom of Vinland, the last remnant of the Nordic feudal state of Greenland, completely abandons all settlements and becomes a tribal confederacy on the island of Newfoundland, having severed all contact with their Greenlandic home and Iceland. They intermingle with the now-diminished Beothuk population, forming a new Nordic-American rural culture with limited iron metallurgy.
Many developments take place in South Africa roughly around this era. The Kraal of Oyengweni, located at the mouth of the Komati River, becomes a quickly growing town within the Nguni nation. The town becomes an exporter of ivory and other goods, taking advantage of the relative instability in Zimbabwe to attract merchants. A migration of approximately thirty clans is led into the coastal region south of the town, where the Nguni use their expansive army and experience in the northern war to pacify the region. The chieftains in the north of the nation in particular continue to pursue adoption of iron weaponry and other military technology, should Zimbabwe threaten the nation once more.
King John of France signs a peace agreement with Edward III of England in London, bringing a temporary truce to the Anglo-French war while they continue to be attacked from the Holy Roman Empire and Ireland. Seeing the King of France capitulate to English demands, many French nobles begin to wane their support for the House of Valois and pursue support instead for the remnant of direct Capetians.
King Valdemar IV, despite suffering unrest in Holstein and Zeeland, proceeds to invade Sweden in order to regain control over Scania.
At this point, block printing is commonplace across all of mainland Europe. At this point, the Byzantine historian Nicephorus Gregoras completed his work Byzantine History, covering the eras from 1204 to the present day.
The Lord of Forli is decisively defeated in his attempts by local defenses, and retreats back to Venezia. The Count of Urbino agrees to stop attacking Venice, but still secretly gives supplies and support to the rebels.
- Mali Empire: Historical accounts reference that Baraq's campaign met a harsh resistance when subjugating the kingdom of Wydah (OTL Ghana), and this also seems to be supported by the archaeology. The "Shamzian Wall" uncovered in southern Bononam in the mid 19th century reveals the extent of defensive fortifications that demarcated the border between Mali and Wydah, with heavy amounts of casualties noted on both sides. The archaeology is clear that this was a defense maintained by the southerners specifically, which managed to put up a strong resistance to the empire for quite a few years. Ultimately, it would be up to the growing Atlantic navy at the ports of Dakar and Koya to helped turn the tide of victory. Manding secret societies are also used to fully integrate people groups in the empire, as well as the tributary system of Nigeria. This also creates an avenue of Islamic scholars to begin spreading the faith to the African pagans. However, at this point the Mandike Islamic theology of Abu Yunus spreads much faster across the newer territories of the empire than traditional Sunni Islam, as many of its aspects are much more appealing to native African animism than traditional Islam. This further aggravates the Sunni scholars of the Maghdan clans, who insist that Abu Yunus is a heretic and a traitor. So Abu Yunus was for the second time summoned before the court of Mansa Ayyob in Niani, this time appearing before the entire Gbara. This theologic debate, similar to the previous two debates in Yunus' life, are greatly romanticized in his hagiography, although this last one is much less likely to have actually taken place. Reportedly, Abu Sufyan picked up an egg before the Gbara, and declared that if God is speaking through Abu Yunus, then the egg will not be broken. This erupted into a lengthy discussion on the nature of miracles and divine providence, until they eventually settled on a final test: if the same divine will of Muhammad is present also in the body of Abu Yunus, then the egg will not break. Then Abu Sufyan threw the egg on the ground, and miraculously it remained a whole. Astonished at this act, the Magdan clans decided to fully accept Abu Yunus as a true prophet of God, the actual successor of Muhammad. Mansa Ayyob fully and officially adopted Mandike Islam as the new theology and jurisprudence of the Mali Empire, and fully rejects the Taymiyyah sect as heretical and unlawful. Furthermore, Mali renounces all affiliation with the Abbasid Caliphate, and accepts Abu Yunus as the true Prophet. The Magdan Clans, being the leaders of education, fully switches over to teaching the Mandike sect of theology instead of traditional Sunni across the religious schools of the empire. This does prevent local Sunni populations from rising up in violence against the new religion, of course, and the disciples of Abu Yunus continued to suffer localized persecutions even after this act.
- Iceland: An expedition is sent with two Lübeckian ships to try to find Vinland. (Mod Response needed). The Prince of Iceland becomes very sick and his father says that a man will come to say prayers with him and orders him to say the prayers and then he will see his Grandpa, a mysterious man enters the room and says the prayers with Domnhall then he touches his forehead then leaves, when the actual priest arrives Domnhall tells him about the man and is asked to describe the man, the man matches Blessed Ari and two days later Domnhall is cured, the Papacy is contacted (Papal Response Needed). The Thule immigrants are welcomed to the Icelandic Civilisation. A marriage proposal is sent to Portugal for the hand of Princess Beatric in a traditional marriage for Prince Domnhall (Portugal response needed).
- Haven't found it yet, but they think they find some miscelaneous coastline.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI sends a commission to investigate the miracle.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: In light of the recently formed alliance with the Ayutthaya Kingdom, Emperor Chinh proposes a marriage between him and the eldest daughter of Raja Uthong to secure an alliance between the two kingdoms (Mod Response). With the acceptance of the marriage proposal, the Emperor has decided to have the marriage ceremony performed next year to signify the bond between the two kingdoms. Dai Viet traders have begun to set up a village on the outskirts of the capital from which they can use to trade and live in. The blacksmiths have completed the royal order for weapons/equipment and have begun to turn their attention back to producing farming implements for the farmers of the Kingdom. Raiding into Lan Xang continues providing a steady line of supplies, slaves, and wealth for the Kingdom of Dai Viet as raiding parties continuously raid the outskirts of the Kingdom. The slaves and laborers have been tasked with continuing construction on the roads as well as expanding the ports along the ports on the South China Sea. The Emperor’s reformation of the Imperial Examination system has been continued once more and test across the Kingdom have brought in a sizeable amount more children who are shipped to schools to learn alongside the children of nobles. Gunpowder tech is still expected to be acquired by the year 1373 according to the scholars assigned to it. In an attempt to gain access to more markets, diplomatic envoys baring gifts of jade and silk have been dispatched to the Khmer Empire requesting trade and military access with the Khmer Empire (Mod Response). Diplomatic envoys have also been dispatched toward the Kingdom of Sukhothai, a vassal of Ayutthaya, offering trade and an military alliance due to its vassalage to Ayuttahya (Mod Response). To further expand trade, the ports have been opened up to foreign trade bringing in increased trade through the ports. The Imperial government in light of the recent war have decided to provide patronage to physicians within the Kingdom researching cures and medicines. Efforts have also been made to reform the overall governments with villages being required to elect village councils to attend to matters of local government (public works, etc.) and administrators overseeing administrative areas, the lowest of which was local administrator who oversaw a couple of villages. Then there is the middle administrator who is charged with overseeing the local administrators who in turn reported to regional administrators. Regional administrators report directly to the Emperor and are often under the watch of the imperial guard, the Scarlet Dragons. With this system of governance in place, Emperor Chinh has ordered levy forces to assist wherever they can and also has begun patronizing entertainment acts making his patronage of the acts very clear to win the love and support of the people who are now ruled from afar by him. Storage depot administration has been relinquished to village councils who are required to maintain and keep these depots stocked with food for any potential emergencies on a national or local scale. The Emperor has also assigned a commission of trusted, handpicked administrators to look into the economic situation caused by the war and to offer potential reforms that can be conducted to alleviate the government’s burden. In addition, education across the Kingdom has been ordered to accommodate for learning writing/reading, mathematics, and agriculture alongside Confucian text. The Scarlet Dragons continue their training for the second year in a row and have slowly been given increased authority to gather intelligence outside the Minister of Intelligence’s purview and have also been given the authority to safeguard the royal palace. The gladiator tournaments still remain as the influx of slaves are committed to infrastructure building. Ship production this year has turned out nine ships which raises the existing fleet to 35 ships. The Emperor has also begun to draft a new series of laws to accommodate his many reforms in place. In an effort to decisively end the war, the Emperor has committed 2,000 troops from patrolling the roads and 5,000 troops from the forces fending off reinforcements to the siege bringing a total of 7,000 men to assist the 7,950 men besieging the capital with the troops totaling 14,950 troops to bare against the Capital. Orders have been given to the siege force to launch dead animal corpses as well as boulders into the capital using siege engines. Sappers continue to sap the cities walls for the continuing siege. (Mod Response/Algorithm Required). Orders are distributed to siege forces to take notes and record the problems and tactics employed by the Siege force so that they can be examined and reviewed for future sieges. The expedition of Kiều Sơn Hà's continues to travel through China studying at villages they pass through and eventually make their way to the monasteries where Kiều Sơn Hà has decided to spend a year living and studying with the monks. After this year is over, they plan to make their way to the city of Guangzhou to travel and establish contact with the mysterious land they are trading with. With the allied victory over the Kingdom of Champa, Che Mo is installed as the ruler with Emperor Chinh's blessings. The levy is demobilised with the exception of 3,000 men who are kept in Champa to ensure a stable transition of power to the new ruler. Tra Hoa is transported North to Dai Viet to be held as a captive within the confines of his room in the palace under the careful eye of the Scarlet Dragons and Emperor Chinh in case he should ever prove useful to the Kingdom. The newfound territory acquired by Dai Viet is left in the hands of administrators and 1,000 of the remaining levy to parcel out into administrative districts and regions. Villages in the newly acquired territory are ordered to elect councils to deal with local matters of governance. The ajarwood groves in the newly acquired territory are placed under imperial supervision and control to ensure that the profits are for the Kingdom itself. Furthermore, hearing news of potential gold mines at the furthest tip of acquired territory, the Emperor orders administrators and a small detachment of Scarlet dragons to observe and supervise the construction of the mines for the gold. Orders are given to the Officers and Minister of War to draft up battle plans for a defensive and offensive war against the neighboring Kingdom of Lan Xang that has expanded at worrying rates for the Emperor.
- Ayutthaya agrees to the marriage.
- Sukhothai agrees to an alliance.
- Khmer is a rival of Thailand and denies access.
- Hungary: King Geza III dies as the northern armies reach Moldova. 5,000 troops are left to guard the province as 25,000 Hungarian troops invade Wallachia to sack and loot its capital and punish them for attempting to destroy Hungary. King Stephan VI is crowned and travels south to observe and command his armies for the invasion of Wallachia. Before leaving for the front, though, Stephan declares Buda to be the capital of the Kingdom of Hungary and Croatia along the banks of the Danube River.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: Prince Nicholas uses 34,000 army to push it off the Hungarian with herd to push it a down on the main's south declare war on it and observe his army on the Danube River. Anyway, culture and local religion keep developing Vlachs people in greatest distance to fascinating the Christianity environment the local church Vlachs announce some new trade from Europe we look that we have steak for healthy and other production in building, we ask if Swiss could help us. Anyway, so we developed a new built and many of Orthodox Vlachs are being built by the council and House of Bassarab and literature and new written Romanian are being writing as well toward dialect.
- Papal States: With the Lord of Forli retreating to Venetian territory, Pope Innocent VI removes his excommunication. However, due to the instability in the Italian Peninsula new troops continue to be trained for the Papal Army and the military shipyards of Ostia and Civitavecchia continue building ships. All those military improvements of the Papal States are oversee by Cardinal General Commissary Gil Álvarez Carrillo de Albornoz. The pope is the father of all Christians, but Innocent VI is also a French and seeing the situation of his homeland, he comes to the conclusion that he needs to act. (Secret) The pope sends letters through Cardinal Pierre de Aubefort to the nobles of France. In the letters, he say that the Valois are weak and they will give France to the English. The pope urges the nobles to depose the Valois and place the Capetians in the throne. The pontiff says that he is supporting the Capets (End Secret) [MOD response needed, please]. The pope receives the block printed Bible that was sent to him by the Latin Emperor. The Bible is placed in the Sistine Library and causes great admiration in the scholars of Saint Augustine's University. The Holy Father creates as cardinals Niccolò de’ Vetuli (Papal States) and Johann II von Munsingen (Basel/Switzerland). Elena Cimorelli and the Workers of Charity continue to help the poor people of Ostia by giving food and clothes. Is common to see them working with the Mercedines. Sometimes, Elena and her fellow Beguines are accompanied by a young man named Giorgio Cassani. Giorgio parents died recently and leaved to him a great fortunate and lands were grapes are cultivated. After he heard about Elena and her visions and saw the Workers of Charity, he felt inclined to mimic their actions. Now he uses his money to help those in need.
- Tian China: With Taiwan continuing to be integrated into the realm and now established as a full province within the emperor, the development of urban ports along the coastline continues. Although the older and more developed former Chinese colony cities on the western and northern coasts continue to be the largest on the island and continue to grow as entry points for settlers and trade from the mainland and our Japanese allies, many wealth seeking people are beginning to fund the construction and expansion of existing ports on the eastern and southern coasts which were the first cities of the native kingdoms, in the hopes of using them as closer trade ports to Indochina. However, one particularly ambitious group of merchants, led by the native born Taiwanese Zhu Huo (native name Uliw Qualitsangal) and the Chinese merchant Luo Yan, begin making trips down to the Philippines, which China has had some contact and trade with for many years but mostly indirectly, and bringing back many exotic goods for sale in the mainland. This quickly ends up making them extremely rich, and encourages many other ambitious traders to begin attempting similar trips of their own, in the hopes of gaining similar amounts of wealth and prestige. Although many will become victims of piracy or other perils in the course of these journeys, many others will return successfully and tell others of the wealth to be earned in the trade of exotic goods and spices from the area, thus encouraging many more to try the same. This results in a large increase in the size of the ports in Southern Taiwan and particularly the former lands of the Paiwan Kingdom, while also establishing the beginnings of a steady trade route into the area (even if their is no direct trade with the government since they aren’t tributaries), and also results in Taiwan beginning to become a stopping off point for exotic goods and spices traveling into the mainland, resulting in the wealth and prosperity of the province beginning to increase. In other news, efforts to repopulate the areas harmed by the plague continue, and this year becomes the beginning of a new initiative on the part of the government to encourage poor families from regions which were not effected by the plague to move into those regions which had previously been devastated, encouraging them with promises of greater wealth and prosperity and more safety from banditry and other evils within the core regions of the empire than in the more distant but still mostly Chinese provinces such as Yunnan or Sichuan, as well as the opportunity to become close to the center of the celestial empire and the son of heaven himself. This initiative, although started relatively late in the year, begins to see some amount of success, as many people are encouraged to move by the governments promises (and in some cases demands), with a few thousand people moving from the areas not effected by the plague into the formerly suffering core regions in Henan and along the Yangtze. Although this is a very small number of people in comparison to the vast population of China overall and these provinces, the fact that the governments efforts are seeing any effectiveness at all this early is encouraging, and thus efforts are planned to be increased even more next year. We also begin to drop efforts to settle the frontier regions outside of Taiwan, as depopulating the core regions is seen as far more important, and they are the primary source of the empire’s wealth, not the expendable frontier. This will later lead to some major linguistic shifts in Luoyang dialect Chinese due to the influx of people from the more mountainous and isolated provinces which were less likely to be effected by the plague, which usually spoke different regional dialects of Chinese compared to the dominant forms in Henan and around the Yangzte, although these effects will not be seen for quite awhile due to the small numbers of people immigrating for now, and the fact that these government programs will take many years to take full effect.
- Swiss Confederacy: With the truce between Poland-Lithuania and Hungary, the 3,000 Swiss mercenaries offered to help Poland-Lithuania are recalled. However, Hungary invaded Wallachia immediately afterward, and the Central Council of the Swiss Confederacy finds sympathy for the Wallachians whose plight against Hungary is similar to the historical plight of the Swiss states against the Habsburgs, and furthermore they are still interested in limiting potential Hungarian aggression from Tyrol. Hence, an envoy is sent to Wallachia, offering them the use of the aforementioned 3,000 Swiss mercenaries against the Hungarian invasion. (Wallachian response) Wallachia accepted The Swiss mercenaries who were searching for Ibrahim Osman in Anatolia are recalled to Switzerland, not having found Osman but not having been discovered. Still wanting to capture Ibrahim Osman before he can reorganise Ottoman forces, the Central Council sends an envoy to Padinia, asking if they have any mercenaries or assassins who could try to locate and capture Osman in Anatolia. (Padinia response) The Cantons of Aargau and Basel send an envoy to the Prince-Bishopric of Basel (which is adjacent to but does not include the city of the same name, which is in the Canton of Basel), suggesting that they join the Confederacy as the Canton of Basel-Bishopric (the current Canton of Basel would then be renamed as the Canton of Basel-City) so that the Confederacy could help them with reconstruction of towns damaged by the 1356 earthquake and recovery from the earlier devastation of the Black Death. As with the other ecclesiastic cantons such as Engelberg, the bishopric would retain power over domestic affairs and get a seat on the Central Council. (Mod response) Construction of the Bern Library continues, while the Zürich Library acquires a block printing press that will allow them to print books. Domestically, the government works on improving road infrastructure in the Cantons of Unterwalden, Uri, Schwyz and Glarus. The joint military of the Confederacy focuses on fortifying the southeastern border of the nation in the Cantons of Chur, Glarus and Uri.
- Basel would agree if the Pope does.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI allows the Prince-Bishopric of Basel to enter in the Confederacy.
- Wallachia accepted the help of Swiss confederacy.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": The day has come for Al-ismak to leave his native Brabant once more. As he is forced to leave the Holy Roman Empire, So the 760 men strong expedition get on their ships, a total of five minor vessels. The planned route being from Antwerp to Coruna, then to Rabat, after which, Hendrickus and the explorers will find a spot that is good for trade and more. His plan being to found a trade post where money can be made in numbers never seen before, as they believe they would be able use their position as a middle men to great benefit. Middle men is something the Lotharingians are not used to, as they have always been the Clients and receivers of Indian and African goods. As Indian curry and Malian gold are very much liked in Lotharingia mostly by the Merchants and Nobility. Other traders and peasants who are fighting are the Lotharingian army in England, Colchester even being captured by the 6,000 strong force. This being a great Morale booster for the Lotharingian forces, which is good as many troops begin to doubt the war. Their low morale coming from the fact that the Lotharingian and Horne army haven't scored to many victories. The prince of Wales now openly calling on the Welsh to join the Cause against the Anglification of the Gealic lands. Edmond Mortimer telling about what the English have done, killed him without reason for trying to keep the Peasants free and fed. Thus King Charles sends sprouts, repair kits and some specialists to help the troops with their struggles. The German army in England deciding for logistical reasons to set up supply posts in Dedham and Manningtree, as these towns are able to get shipment back from Lotharingia and much more. One of these things is fresh fish and and water for non consumption use, Fish and sprouts being a food that is not popular but eaten a lot by the Lotharingian soldiers. The House of Valois has once more shown weaknes, as Jean du Valois has signed peace with the English. By doing so King Charles fully switches support from the House of Valois to the Capetian dynasty of France. Charles even wanting to help Victor Capet in getting back the Crown of France from the Captured French king. Although these are promises Charles cannot do much more then that due to the Situation in England which divides the Soldiers of the Kingdom into two camps.
- Sweden-Norway: In response to the Danish invasion, King Magnus orders all jarls and knights to bring with them levies south to meet the invading army. The army races south, split in two, in hope of halting the Danes before they can establish themselves further. (algo?)
- Kingdom of Padinia: Finally eliminating the entirety of the rebel forces, the rebel republican nations grudgingly swear loyalty to Cassono. In an attempt to assist in the recovery of the nation Cassono says that for the time being there will only be garrisons for nations and that it is time for rest and recovery and a uniting in these new times. He also states his dreams of a unified Italy under one Kingdom as one nation against outside threats. His wife becomes a major name among the peasants and lower class citizens of Milan and throughout Padinia due to her work in giving to beggars and the poor as well as providing medical help to them when they have critical diseases and issues with proportional charge paid for by the crown. Late in 1360 she becomes pregnant with her first child. In Florence and Genoa and Sienna regional governors are appointed from the former merchant families survivors in Florence the Medici gain large amounts of power again though nothing like there power of old. They rule the economical sphere of most of Padinia but politically there power is lacking and where it exists it’s extremely reliant on Cassono. The economy of Padinia attempts to recover from the civil war as the banks return to business as normal and everyone returns to there places of work. Secret: The Venetian actions against Urbino are viewed with great disdain by Cassono and he begins to work to assist in “Unofficial ways.” End Secret.
- Latin Empire of Romania: Emperor William continues his reign over the Empire, now in the 29th year of his rule. With peace having been restored to the region, the Plague having been abated - seemingly for good - and the treasury sitting on new piles of wealth from the spoils of Bursa, William is presiding over a period of great prosperity. Even reports of cooler climates do not pose as much of a threat given the Mediterranean climate in which the Latin Empire finds itself. This year, much focus is restored to trade and production. Trade takes place by coastal routes - notably in Thessalonica and Piraeus (outside of Athens) - and by the Via Egnatia, which terminates in the Venetian-held port of Durazzo. Notable goods produced include grains, oils, silk, porcelain enamel, and perfumes, among others. Indeed, Romania is known for being a center of high-value products - and more and more Latin Romanians are beginning to capitalize on trade in the Mediterranean themselves. The knights in the military continue to be drilled and trained, and Count Andrjez of Caria begins to prepare his forces in particular with an eye toward the Turkish states to the north. Diplomatically, Thomas Pichon is sent to Neopatria, where the young Catalan duke is offered the hand of the cousin of Emperor William. In exchange, he will become a vassal of the Latin Emperor, with special privileges for Neopatria and the Catalan settlers in the region (Mod Response).
- Duke Frederick of Neopatria is willing to marry the Emperor's cousin, but does not feel necessary to become a vassal at this time
- Nyazwe: As part of his ongoing reforms to the military of the nation, Chatunga appoints loyalist Munesu as the new Minister of War for Nyazwe, directing him to oversee the removal of traitors within the ranks of the Vakadanwa. Batirai, for his part, is given command of the field armies that will be tasked with prosecuting the war against the Mutape in the south. Leading an army of 7,500 infantry and cavalry, Ishe Batirai departs from Lusvingo to relieve the besieged city of Mapumgubwe, and separate the Mutape forces in half. Arriving in force at Mapumgubwe, Batirai's army confronts the Mutape force of 2,600 warriors outside of the city, led by the rebel Ishe Itai, a former companion of Chatunga during his role as Marshal of the North. The rebels have already fortified their lines ahead of the loyalists arrival, and rush to form a battle line before contact is made with the enemy. The two armies clash outside of the city walls, establishing relief of Mapumgubwe as the first true battle of the civil war. Batirai bravely leads his men into battle at the head of his cavalry units, crashing into the enemy lines and killing several hundred men. While well-fortified, the rebels lacked the numbers to man their defenses properly, and are overrun by Batirai's forces. Grossly outnumbering the enemy nearly three to one, the battle is decided before the end of the day, with more than half of the traitors slay and no more than five hundred loyalists killed. Having lost the battle, Itai retreats with his army to another location. However, rather than link up with the main Mutape army in the east, Itai instead heads south to Lose, where he hopes to drag loyalist forces away from Malumba and toward the south near the Nguni, where the loyalist army will waste time pursuing the defeated forces of Itai. Well aware of the choice he now faces, Batirai decides to split his forces in half, sending 2,600 troops to pursue Itai into the south, while taking the rest of his army to march east. Before doing so, Batirai leaves a third of his cavalry and two misasa of infantry at Mapumgubwe as a garrison to secure the river crossing at the Limpopo and protect it from another Mutape attack. Batirai then takes the remaining 2,600 troops to liberate the city of Toutswe in the west to help prevent Itai from escaping into the western frontier by blocking his only path of escape. Upon hearing news of this defeat, Wataida is furious, blaming the loss on the refusal of the Mutape elders to more fully commit themselves to the war effort. Viewing them as old and incapable of change, Wataida orders them all to appear before him and his generals to explain their reservations to supporting him more fully. The two parties meet in the city of Manyikeni to discuss the matter outside of the city walls before a gathering of the inhabitants who wish to view the event. There, Wataida angrily denounces the elders ineptitude in supplying his forces with weapons, manpower, and funding, denying him the resources for a victory required to allow them to even keep their positions as leaders. The elders for their part explain that while they have welcomed him into their arms as their military leader, they do not support him in becoming their leader, viewing him as no different than his brother or father. Furious, Wataida states that he is royalty, and that his role as leader shall be recognized. His generals grab their weapons, and proceed to kill all of the elders where they stand before the assembled crowds from the city, who watch in horror as their local chiefs are killed to a man. Standing before the crowds still soaked in the blood of the elders, Wataida demands that all of the inhabitants bow and acknowledge his title as Mambo of the Mutape, to which all of the people and his generals do without hesitation. Moving throughout the city without haste, Wataida proceeds to personally drafted every able-bodied man in Manyikeni into his army, obtaining an additional 4,000 men for the war effort. All of the women are pressed into service to support the armies of the Mutape, while the children capable of gathering crops are put to work in the fields with their elder family members. Every forge in the district is pressed harder for more weaponry, while the traders are stripped of their goods and treasures to help fund the army.
- Empire of Ethiopia: Having won a victory of the Sultanate of Dhaklan, the Emperor annexes the city of Massawa and the surrounding lands. An Imperial Governor is appointed to oversee the newly conquered lands from the newly conquered port city of Massawa. The army returns victorious to Barari, laden with slaves and treasures. With three ports now under Imperial control, trade revenue to the crown increases steadily as the Ministry of Trade’s agents continue to impose tariffs and taxes on incoming merchants and traders. Trade between India, Ethiopia and Mali returns to its pre-plague status, and the excellent road networks in Ethiopia and its vassals allows merchants and traders to transport goods throughout Christian East Africa with ease. At Barari Emperor Newaya Krestos is informed that the vassal King of Alodia has died peacefully in his sleep. The Emperor claims the throne of Axum through his sister, who was married to the former King. The Emperor integrates Alodia into the Empire and adds its nobles to the nobility of the Empire, making the mall Ras. By now the Christianization of the people of Axum has succeeded, and due to the similar religions of Axum and Ethiopia, the road network linking the two nations, and the fact that the Axumite nobility studied at the University at Barari, the integration of Axum into Ethiopia should go very smoothly. In
- Empire of Hispania: with the fall of the armed Muslim rebels in Granada, the recovery of stability in the region begins as Cordoba's infrastructure and Valencia's infrastructure become main priorities of economic investments as fortifications begin being rebuilt and upgraded. The Lighthouse of Gibraltar nears completion following the restarting of new construction efforts and renovations in portions of the already enormous structure. The murderers who may have fled to Hispania from Portugal are located somewhere near Galicia and are sent back by humble requests made by the king of Portugal as we honor our bond of friendship. Disorder in Andalusia is quickly dealt with as the forces of the crown in combination with the support of Christian lords and the police's support. Los Decretos de La Cruz result in mass expulsion but also large numbers of Christian conversions as well which are accepted although suspicions remain. The Clergy establish an Ecclesial Tribunal in Toledo as fears of potential corruption in the church may hinder the crowns efforts to restoring happiness and prosperity after the past decades run of instability. In Naples, Spanish Merchants begin to increase profits as trade slowly increases as the Empire's recovery from internal conflict permit steady economic recovery as well with disorder in the Italian Peninsula permitting an advantageous market which proves to aid the Empire's lead for this time over the other Italian rivals in the Peninsula as they deal with issues of their own.
As soon as King John of France returns to Paris, he is arrested by the nobles there who have him imprisoned. Victor Capet is summoned by the French nobles to come to Paris and be crowned as King Victor of France, being the paternal grandson of King Philip IV.
The Emirate of Samarkhand falls apart into civil conflict, where the previous government is exiled to the region of Khwarizm. The rest of Samarkhand falls under the control of a young, ambitious military leader, called Timur "the lame".
In the Deccan parts of India, the Islamic governor Zephar Khan revolts against the Delhi Sultanate and establishes his own independent Muslim state, known as the Bahmani Sultanate.
Sweden manages to defeat King Valdemar's attempted invasion.
The White Horde in Kazakhstan and central Asia falls into complete anarchy, and the region becomes home for 20 different khans.
In Iceland, King Olaf III walks along the coast to inspect their growing naval capacity, when suddenly he spots a woman drowing in the water. The King immediately dives into the frigid water to save her life, which he succeeds at, but in the process he catches pneumonia. He dies from this illness 30 days later.
Many English soldiers, having engaged the German troops sponsored by Lothraingia, refers to the people of the lowlands as "sprouts" as a derogatory term. Meanwhile, the Emperor and his wife, Anna von Schweidnitz, have a son this year.
Florentine engineers develop the first black-and-white musical keyboard. In France, Philippe de Vitry becomes widely known as the most successful musician of his day, even complemented by Petrarch.
In Lorraine, Dominican friar John Tauler peaches his Neo-Platonic philosophy based on his mystic experiences, being a disciple of the earlier philosopher Meister Eckhart. He preaches that Christ's suffering atoned for all the sins of the world, and as such all people will ultimately be redeemed in heaven, both Christians and non Christians. John van Ruysbroeck, a doctor of theology in Brussels, concurs with this idea.
- Hanseatic League: With Denmark on a weakened position, the Hanseatic League takes this opportunity to strike. Lübeck, Hamburg, Bremen, Holstein-Kiel, and Rostock all issue formal declarations of war on Denmark, citing the Danish king's flagrant attacks on Hanseatic interests, mishandling of Danish vassals, and warmongering in the Baltic. The Hanseatic League employs naval captains on commercial ships with the understanding that the crew may be drafted should war be declared. With regular drills on combat, these well-seasoned sailors are fit for war. Now that war is upon the Baltic, orders are sent to 50 captains and their ships to make ready for war. These 50 are joined by 70 more warships designed in Rostock. Of these, 40 will assault Danish ships outside of Copenhagen while 40 more will assault Lolland. The remaining 40 will push the southern Danish fleet against the shores of Jutland. Naval Algo needed, 120 ships in total for this front. The Hanseatic League's central Confederacy fields roughly 15,000 men, with money buying an additional 15,000 mercenaries. Jutland and Holstein are offered aid in their rebellion against the Danes. Assuming they accept, the 30,000 men push north into Loyalist Skagen and Aalborg, hoping to secure the northern coast of Jutland. However, if these cities, which were historically Hanseatic cities, declare independence from Denmark, they will be spared the horrors of war. (Mod response for Skagen and Aalborg, algo if not). In the meantime, merchant ships in the North Sea are hired to establish supply depots and aid the Holy Roman Emperor against England. The Hanseatic trade post in London does what it can to disrupt internal trade in England, though no formal declaration of war happens. UPDATE 7:00 PM EST: With the failure of Skagen and Aalborg to see reason, the Hanseatic League sends 30,000 men to the border of Schleswig and prepare siege engines. A Tagfahrt is held in Hamburg and Lübeck to determine a plan of attack and how this situation should be approached. The Tagfahrts declare that the title of Kingdom of Denmark is held by an illegitimate power and the Hanseatic League must act in order to restore order to the Baltic and find a suitable king of Dennark. The Tagfahrt of 1361 formally declares a state of war between Denmark and the Hanseatic League as a whole. Another request for troops is sent to the Hanseatic League states, especially those along the Rhine and the Baltic, to send mercenaries or troops to aid. (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED FOR HOW MANY TROOPS ARE SENT) On a completely unrelated note, the Black Death that claimed so many lives left behind a plethora of toys with no owners. These toys are oftentimes given away en masse at markets. While many are broken down for various parts, others find their ways into the hands of a new generation of children, bringing joy across the Hanseatic League. However, after a number of toy-related injuries, the Bürgermeister of Lübeck bans the sale of toys from public market.
- Mod Response: They said no.
- Hungary: King Stephan demands the Wallachian's cede part of their northeast, accept responsibility for the war, and pay tribute for three years or face the utter destruction of their capital and the pillaging of their land. To back this up 5,000 troops are sent to reinforce Stephan's army after the losses of the first battle (Wallachian Response Needed). Meanwhile, Stephan encourages Hungarians to settle in the east of the country, notably Moldova, the Black Sea Coast, and the Eastern Hungarian Plain. It is encouraged that Hungarian musicians adopt the new keyboard in France to spread new music in church. Croatian trade with the Papal States and Italy is encouraged from Dalmatia. However, the fact that Venetia has several enclaves on the coast of Hungary, is a thorn in the Kingdoms side and is noted to the King and other nobles. The troops return home from a successful campaign in Wallachia. The Treaty of Pest is to be made to hash out what is to come between Wallachia and Hungary (Leo surrendered through discord).
- Iceland: After that mysterious coastline was discovered 25 men and 25 women are sent there with the same ships and crews as last time. (Mod Response needed). The population rises to 30,000 and the country continues to celebrate the end of the Cold War. The sad death of King Ólaf III strikes the country, many are seen openly weeping at his funeral, due to the circumstances of his death he is known as King Ólaf The Brave, the Upper Council decides to allow Domnhall to be crowned but his regent becomes the late king's father; King Ólaf The Great. Since King Domnhall is half Scottish an alliance is proposed to Scotland (Scottish Response Needed).
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II gladly agrees to establish friendly ties and to the alliance and offers to establish a sea trade route linking Edinburgh with Reykjavik as soon as the war with England is over.
- Icelandic Dip: The Trade offer is accepted.
- Mod: That is going to be a no from me, dawg.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: Nicholas and army the council, allow him across the Danube River with his army of 37,000 soldiers. Anyway, culture has been advancing by the House of Bassarab and the Vlachs people who ever developing so far in the region and succeeding the area literature and trade continue to evolved into in a multi-culture and ethnicity regional peoples now that war is upon of Hungary and Stephan IV and Nicholas's army we developed some new production across to Danube of such kind of trade and food language is in under evolution in this year men push it south Prince Nicholas afford that he would gladly send 37,000 mens and ships cannon fire from that war which is ongoing well. Wallachia is demanding peace with the kingdom of Hungary and sign a treaty peace for it. (Player response/Mod response needed)
- Mali Empire: General Baraq continues to work at subjugating the coastal regions near the Wydah Kingdom, and similar tribal nations surrounding OTL Ghana. The navy also continues to be developed and upgraded by the ships in Dakar, and now in Koya as well. The Mandike sect of Islam is being fully adopted across the urban centers of Mali, while traditional Sunni holds out in the more rural parts of the nation. Abu Yunus is believed to have continued his ministry in Njimi about this time, but this latter part of his life is not well documented. Manding secret societies continue to help integrate people in the more recent western territories, as well as those in Kanem and Nigeria. The tributary system of Nigeria continues to spread Mandike Islam into the pagan regions of Africa. By this point, the architectural styles adopted from Andalusian Spain really takes off to transform the landscape of Malian architecture, referred to by later art historians as "Sahelian Gothic". The spires atop each minaret was particularly tall and stylized, which flows into the alternating columns of the outer courtyard. In Timbuktu, the influx of foreign knowledge and education has helped to open up some of Mali's first native sculpting workshops. These sculptures are often influenced heavily by Mandike Islam, and began adding depictions of actual animals or children. Mansa Ayyob, having his own thirst for knowledge, reaches out to our trading partners in the Mediterranean, such as Milan and Rome. He asks if they could donate specific works of philosophy and mathematics that were made in recent years, spanning from Leonardo of Pisa to Petrarch. (Milan and Papacy RESPONSE)
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Innocent VI sends some works of philosophy and mathematics to the Mali Empire.
- Papal States: With the prison of John of Valois, Pope Innocent VI sends Cardinal Pierre de Beaufort as papal legate to crown Victor Capet as king of France. Meanwhile, troops continue to be trained and new ships are built in the Papal shipyards of Civitavecchia and Ostia. The pontiff starts a program to improve the roads and streets of the Papal States. Due to the Black Death, Guy de Chauliac completely abandoned his studies of astronomy and focused in medicine. He is writing a lengthy treatise on surgery. The commission that analyzed the miracle attributed to Blessed Ari Guðmundsson comes to the conclusion that it was true. Then, Innocente declare Ari as Saint. The pontiff also declares William of Ockham as Venerable. Hearing about Philippe de Vitry, the pope writes to him asking the composition of a music in honor of Our Lady of Victory [MOD response needed, please]. This year, October 7th is celebrated with a procession and solemn mass in Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore that attract pilgrims from across the Papal States. Innocent orders the construction of a Basilica in honor of Our Lady of Victory. The Holy Father creates as cardinal Thomas (III) Telegdi (Hungary). Elena Cimorelli and her fellow Beguines of the Workers of Charity continue to offer help to those need. Elena continue to receive visions and she writes about them in her diary. When asked by one of her fellow Beguines about what are the visions, Elena says that they are about the Passion of Christ. Influenced by Elena, Giorgio Cassani creates a male community of Workers of Charity in his house. Soon other laymen arrive to live there. They pray and help the poor in the streets.
- Philippe does this.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King Edward Balliol, now old and infirm, looked upon by the vast majority of Scotsman as illegitimate, passed away without an heir while running for his life from the Scotsmen's vengeance. David II of Scotland, son of the late Robert I "the Bruce", acting as Guardian of the Kingdom of Scotland, having united into a coalition the Scottish lords who endured the prolonged English occupation, as well as the common people, enjoys unprecedented popular support for the fractious nature of Scotland as of late, augmented by a streak of victories over the English. Now further bolstered by the Lothraingians assault of the English coast, he crowns himself King after popular demand, the commoners blocking his path and his troops refusing to leave the city, pressuring him to accept the honor of Kingship, as both soldiers and citizens, both commoners and lords alike rejoicing with his crowning, overtaking the streets of Edinburgh as a jubilant wave. King David II bids farewell to his family, his wife Isabella Wallace and his 11-year-old son Robert, named after his grandfather and promptly leaves the capital at the head of the detachment of his army, till he reunites with the main host, leading them into the fray against the resurgent Englishmen. He proceeds to block the English army from crossing River Tweed, laying some hasty fortifications, located somewhat close to the fortress of Edinburgh, where he could safely retreat if things go sour. The Englishmen attempt to cross the river and are repulsed suffering heavy casualties. The final engagement takes place near York where 7,000 Scotsman descend on the English camp during the night against the winded English army of 10,000, caught off guard, struggling to hold their ground against the reinvigorated Scotsman, proceeding to massacre their sleepy enemies. As the dust settles in and the sun arises the result is clear, a tremendous Scottish victory, as the bewildered Englishman experience the gruesome reprisals of the Scotsman, only the captured lords of value are spared for ransom. The triumphant Scottish army marches southward proceeding to occupy northern England and if possible link up with the Irish army operating against the English in Wales. As a result of this battle King David II reasserts the centuries old Scottish claims over Northern England.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: As the war has finally concluded, the time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines begins, expecting to be completed by 1370. Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: With the acquisition of northern Champa or what is now southern Dai Viet, the Imperial government has begun to face problems with administrators from Dai Viet assigned to the region facing problems with the local cultures. The Emperor has dispatched a diplomatic envoy to request trade and an alliance with the newly installed King Che Mo in the Kingdom of Champa (Mod Response). In an effort to stem any hostilities and ease tensions, nobles from across the region are ordered to swear oaths of fealty to the new throne as well as to send at least one educated son to take the Imperial Examination exams being conducted in the southern city of Hue. Furthermore, the Test for Peasant Education has been ordered administered across the region to provide children who will grow up to be administrators for the region to be selected for training with the parents provided monetary compensation in exchange for their children. The Imperial government has also started to encourage native Vietnamese to begin migrating toward Southern Dai Viet to land purchased from nobles and peasants by the Imperial government and given to migrants moving south. The construction of gold mines under the supervision of trusted officials and Scarlet Dragons in the south has continued steadily with the occasional interference from local nobles who wish to exploit the mines. The agarwood groves have been harvested for this year with orders being given by the imperial government to plant more groves for future use. With the growing threat from Lan Xang to the east, General Kiều Sơn Hà and most of his expedition being ordered to return to Dai Viet to plan its defense with the diplomatic portions being ordered to request the use of Chinese trade routes with the Philippines (China Response). The peacekeeping forces kept in Champa by Dai Viet have been withdrawn and released from service after a year of ensuring a smooth transition in power. The Emperor has also taken an interest in an ambitious officer by the name of Hồ Quý Ly who had proven himself as a capable strategist and warrior in the Champa Civil War. General Kiều Sơn Hà has been ordered by the Emperor to take Hồ Quý Ly and Huỳnh Ðức Cường on as his proteges to ensure that there is not one person who is being groomed for leadership of the military and the Emperor has ordered the Scarlet Dragons to maintain a careful eye on Hồ Quý Ly for any treasonous actions as his ambition could cause him to turn against the Emperor. Kiều Sơn Hà in his planning, has ordered the establishment of fortifications along the Lan Xang-Dai Viet border to the South to prevent Lan Xang from being able to swiftly cut Dai Viet in half. The labourers and slaves have been turned to the task of improving/expanding the road network, constructing fortifications, and expanding the shipyards all across the Kingdom. The shipyards have managed to complete their order of 50 ships for the royal navy with no further orders coming from the imperial government to produce more ships as the Kingdom's resources are focused on Lan Xang. Raids into Lan Xang continue and under Kiều Sơn Hà have been increased in an attempt to deprive vital supplies to Lan Xang but as well as to probe and test Lan Xang's defenses. At the request of the Emperor of China, Dai Viet has begun to act against the fleeing Nestorians by enslaving their populations and contributing them to labor across the Kingdom from farming to construction. The Emperor of Dai Viet, however, has decreed a set of laws that all must abide by in regards to the slave population known as the Slave Codes which stated that children were not required to work extremely ardous jobs (farming, construction, etc.), children could not be separated from their families under the age of 18, and that slaves were free to practice whichever religion they pleased so long as it did not preach against the government, citizens, or state religions. The Emperor has travelled to Ayutthaya, the capital of the Ayutthaya Kingdom, for his marriage to Raja Uthong's daughter, Sujin. During his visit, the Emperor request that the Kingdom of Ayutthaya provides the gunpowder formula and knowledge of building cannons and hand cannons to Dai Viet in exchange for agarwood, silk, and compensation. He comments on how providing him with weapons would allow him to better fend off the growing threat of Lan Xang and to help fight them if the Kingdom of Ayutthaya should enter conflict with them (Mod Response). Emperor Chinh has also started to cultivate a friendship between him and the heir apparent, Prince Naresuan, the King of Lavo. With the acquisition of cannons from Ayutthaya, the scholars assigned to develop gunpowder have been ordered carefully examine and dismantle a few of the cannons to see how they work but to also figure out a way to improve them utilizing the small supply of gunpowder available to test them. The remainder of the cannons are distributed to forts currently under constructions at Dai Viet's thinnest portion and the royal palace at Hanoi.
- Che Mo accepts alliance as Dai Viet's puppet.
- Ayutthaya agrees to sell a few cannons, but they don't have many in excess, and they don't have the exact formula for gunpowder.
- Kingdom of Portugal: With the assassins of Queen Inez, finally brought before the king, the king says that as they have crushed his heart he shall crush theirs as well. The king rips out their hearts with his bare hands and throws their bodies to the dogs. After this, he gets the nickname the just due to his good work on justice.
- Tian China: With the efforts to encourage migration into the central regions of China harmed by the plague having proven themselves to be slightly successful over the course of last year, the Emperor decides to order their continuation for the next seven years at least, in order to determine if they are truly proving successful in this endevour. Thus, thousands more people are encouraged to move into Henan and the Yangzte regions from the Mountainous western provinces and populous northern provinces (that aren't the frontier) such as the area, and this proves largely successful in attracting large amounts of people into these regions. This will also latter result in a much larger amount of opportunities and mobility for the lower classes of Chinese society, as these large amounts of population shifts are going to have major effects latter. We also begin encouraging large amounts of Chinese people who had fled from the regions during the famine and plague to move back into the region now that they are no longer at threat in the region, offering free and vacant lands and large amounts of livestock and money to get them started in order to encourage them to move back and in order to compensate them for their losses. The continuing small amounts of migration into Taiwan also continues, but begins to majorly slow down this year, as the empire is now far more focused on ensuring the successful recovery of the core regions and is focusing far less on the frontier regions, and it believes enough people have moved into the region to ensure their is a large Chinese population to monitor the natives and ensure continuing control over the island from the mainland. We also begin once more starting to refocus on hunting down the remaining Chinese Christians, as the Emperor and many members of the court and administration believe them to be at least partially responsible for the plague by bringing heavens disfavor upon the Celestial Empire, and they are an easily usable scapegoat to blame large portions of the disasters on, and the emperor is personally disgusted by them and desires their extermination for personal reasons and due to his upbringing to hate them and view them as vermin, which has continued to effect the way he views society and the things he believes even all of these many years latter. He also receives the request of access to Chinese trade routes into the Liusung Archipeligo (The Chinese name for Luzon, which I will be using to refer to the Philippines from now on, since calling them by their European name is anarchroistic) from the Kingdom of Dai Viet, our tributary, and heavily considers this request. Although he is largely favourable toward such a thing personally, and believes it will help to increase the profitability of China's own trade in the region, he also believes that he needs to provide at least some kind of cost for it to occur, both to test Dai Viet and ensure they are still loyal to the empire as a tributary state and to ensure that people do not believe that he is weak or favouring the lesser brothers of China to an extent greater than he should be. Thus, he decides to use this request as a way to extend his persecution of the Christians even farther outside of China's own borders, and requests that in exchange for the granting of access to these territories and trade routes, the Vietnamese do something to deal with the large amount of Christians who have fled into their territory over the years since China began to persecute them, and that if they agree to do so, that these trade routes will indeed be opened up to Vietnamese access, but only if the terms are fulfilled (VIETNAMESE RESPONSE NEEDED).
- Dai Viet: Dai Viet agrees and has begun to enslave the Christians.
- Republic of Venice: When Doge Mastino enters his home city of Verona, he meets his brother Alboino who is promptly arrested (but treated very well), and every separatist minister is hanged as well, except for those who are known for extraordinary competence. The Forlian army finally comes to aid and increases the number of Venetian troops to an overall 25,000 professional soldiers. Together with Veronese forces who surrendered in small numbers, enforcing the cavalry to an overall 800. The retreating forces are pushed toward the Lake Garda, where they are met near the town of Torri del Benaco, where they are locked between the shore of the lake and a narrow pass from where the Venetian army is attacking. While the Romagnian army retreats, they are harassed by the cavalry, preventing them to rest and wearing down their morale. Artillery in form of cannons are positioned at a higher elevation and causing the Romagnian formations to be way more loose and less organized. These would hammer while neither side goes into the offensive, and then narrowly packed men, around 13,000 would charge into the enemy lines, led by the heavy cavalry. The army prepares for an annihilation of the enemy. (ALGO NEEDED). Lord Ordelaffi, the Lord of Forli, meanwhile, proves to be a worthy military leader, who will raise an army of another 10,000 men from previously conquered territory will march toward Ferarra, with around 3,000 men who are spared from Crete. The battle of Ferarra, however, is taking place after the Battle of the Garda Lake. Similar tactics, like cavalry flanking and extensive artillery are used, but this time, the battle will take place near a small forest, not close enough to hide support there, but very useful for another trick. While the Rebel army is on its way along the forest toward the planned battlefield, 3,000 men attack the enemy army from the bushes with hidden cannons and archers, mowing them down from the side. While this small group is holding on led by the most competent officers, the other 8,000 will arrive as quickly as the shots are heard and will support the troops (ALGO, PLEASE) The army also takes smaller villages along the roads to Bologna, cutting off the communication to Bologna itself. With the army being largely split and the majority locked in the north. The already captured territory is continued to be rebuild and in some cases modernized, trade and textile production return to normal. However, much of the grain and the labour of the blacksmiths are dedicated to the war effort. SECRET Once again Florentine assassins are hired to kill the separatist leadership, this time with more careful planning, options and Plan Bs than before (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE) SECRET END
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Al-ismak Finally leaves the Holy Roman Empire for the second and last time, as he is forced to leave the Empire. As he is a Muslim in the pious empire of Christ, an empire who's not friendly to Islam since it took Jerusalem. The emperor founding out Pisacus had converted to Islam while in the Mali Empire, as he found Allah while in the cold deserts of Mali. Al-ismak and his explorers docking in the city of Coruna after being one a ship for three weeks, where they buy new suplies, food, sails and most importantly books and arms. Although some report that Hendrickus did not leave the ships all that time due to the fact that his faith could get him tortured and even killed if it was known by the Autorities. While in England the war is still going on the 6,000 strong Lotharingian force getting better supplies than they have had in a while, this helping morale of the troops as it has fell bit by bit recently. The Lotharingian forces even trying to recruit Parliamentarians and Peasantry to fight agains the might of the English king, as Charles promises more Power to the lower classes of English Society. Some nobles mostly in Kent and Wessex joining the cause, these being lords and other such lesser nobles mostly. As for the higher nobility switching is riskier then for the lesser nobility, as the higher nobility could possibly lose all their land to the king. As part of the Englo-Lotharingian tensions is France, where the Valois' had to sign a shamefull peace. So Jean was after going back to France arrested for the highest possible treason and replaced by a Capet. Charles Congratulating Victor Capet on his crowning as king of France, Charles directly also recognising Victor as the Rightful king of France.
- Sweden-Norway: Seizing upon the opportunity of the Danish defeat, King Magnus commands all Swedish forces, fresh from repelling the Danes, to take Scania and Halland. All across the kingdom, jarls, knights and petty lords are called south. The first part of the army, composed of several battalions, marches on Halland, with the second army marching along the eastern Baltic coast toward Scania, hoping to trap the Danish forces there in a pincer movement. A small fleet of warships carrying remaining soldiers and knights, sails toward the Scanian coast, with the aim being to land and establish themselves (modern day Ystad) to trap the forces there between three armies. Magnus will personally lead the attack on Halland. These numbers total 12,000. (Algo)?
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council of the Confederacy celebrates Victor Capet becoming King of France; Ulrich VI von Lenzburg attends his coronation, along with envoys from the Cantons of Zürich, Basel-Bishopric and Sion. With the war in Wallachia continuing as Hungary refuses Wallachia's peace treaty, 3,000 Swiss mercenaries continue to fight on behalf of Wallachia. Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli condemns the violence of Hungary in Wallachia, and sends a letter to Pope Innocent VI urging him to make a statement about this as well. (Papal response) With Padinia unresponsive, the Central Council sends an envoy directly to the Byzantine Emperor, urging him to sends some soldiers to look for Ibrahim Osman and capture him before he is able to re-organise Ottoman forces. (Mod response) The Canton of Chur sends an envoy to the Count of Werdenberg-Sargans, suggesting that he join the Swiss Confederacy for economic benefit from increased trade and financial support (as it is rumoured the Werdenbergs are in financial debt) and for defensive benefit against the Habsburgs (who are rumoured to have their eyes on Werdenberg territory); like Toggenburg the Count would remain governor of his territory and represent it in the Central Council as the Canton of Sargans (which would comprise Sargans proper, Pfäfers, Vaduz, Sonnenberg and Blumenegg). (Mod response) The construction of the Bern Library is completed, and soon after its opening this library acquires block printing like the Zürich Library. In the Cantons of Basel-City and Basel-Bishopric, workmen and mercenaries continue repairing damages from the 1356 earthquake and building new houses. In particular, repair work starts on the Basel Cathedral. Domestically, the government works on recruiting more soldiers to the military given its high level of activity in the past decade. The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy works on fortifying the city of Zürich.
- Wurdenburg declines.
- Kingdom of Eiru: Signing the Treaty of Caernarfon the war ends and the Irish troops return home while the Lorthinginain troops are thanked and asked to return home. Irish merchants travel south to Mali to explore new places to sell whisky and wool and the merchants of Mali offer them a small number of slaves in return which they bring home and sell into the small Irish slave market.
- Nyazwe: In the midst of the civil war, news of the developments from the Nguni-dominated south begin to filter into the capital of Lusvingo, with knowledge of their attempts to catch up to Nyazwe reaching the ears of Chatunga. Concerned with these developments, Chatunga calls upon the services of the former finance minister Munashe, who he tasks with negotiating with the Swahili come to favorable trading terms with them, and attracting trade back to the loyalist ports of Nyazwe. As part of a delegation to the Swahili city-states and the Arab states to the far north, Munashe leverages his numerous contacts from across the Indian Ocean to help sway the hearts and minds of the various trade houses in the region. He convinces them that the backward and underdeveloped lands of the Nguni cannot compare to the vast wealth of Nyazwe, and that the war is far from the ports of both warring factions, who have taken heed to avoid harming their trading capacity in the ocean. So as to prove the willingness of both parties to avoid damaging the existing trading networks, Munashe embarks upon a dangerous mission to obtain a sworn statement and signature of Wataida, along with that of Chatunga's. Though Wataida threatens to put Munashe to death for his service to his brother, Munashe calms the relatively young ruler, proclaiming that he has only come in the best interests of the Shona people, and that the Nguni he fought in his youth have come to threaten the tenuous balance of power in the region. For the benefit of all his fellow countrymen, Munashe has arrived not as a representative of Chatunga and the late Akashinga, but as an elder statesman and merchant in service to the Shona people themselves. Upon the consultation of his generals and councilors, Wataida cautiously signs the document carried by Munashe and sends him on his way, though mindful to keep this information out of the hands of his Nguni allies. On the war front, the entrapment of the Mutape army of Ishe Itai at Lose forces Wataida to mobilize an army to rescue his forces from loyalist Ishe Batirai, who at this point has completed his liberation of Toutswe, and has marched south to combine his two field armies north of Lose. Fearing the lose of yet more warriors in a war where his manpower is still scarce, Wataida breaks camp at Manyikeni and rushes to Thulamela, where he raises additional troops to march on to Lose. Requesting access to the lands south of the Limpopo River, the Nguni agree to allow Wataida passage to Lose, where he and his army of 6,300 troops finally arrive to meet upon with Itai and his beleaguered forces within the city walls. At this point in time, the Mutape forces have reached 8,000 men in size, while Batirai's force numbers approximately 5,240 men strong. Believing he has the upper-hand over his enemy, Wataida dismisses Itai from command, and personally marches out to meet Batirai in battle. The resulting battle ends with a pyrrhic victory for Wataida, who ignored the weariness of his men whom he force marched several hundred miles from Thulamela, and then out to face Batirai without allowing them to rest. As a consequence of his impatience, Wataida's army loses some 2,000 men at the Battle of Thulamela, more men than he would have lost had he left Itai's forces to be captured by the loyalists. However, Batirai's forces lose approximately 1,200 men, while Batirai is slain in battle by Wataida himself, a perfectly-acceptable reward for the men lost in battle. Batirai's death shocks Chatunga, his brother having robbed him of a valuable field commander. To Chatunga, Lose was not worth the lose of a senior warrior, and directly leads to Chatunga's decision to begin leading his own men into battle, something he wished to avoid to focus on the cleansing of his government of spies and traitors. In his stead, the Maziso Ake are left to continue purging disloyal elements from Nyazwe's government and economy, capturing, interrogating, and putting to death any credibly proven to have been responsible for the division of the country. In the cultural sphere, propaganda from Nyazwe's loyalist elements begins to overtake that of the rebel Mutape, with the former ceasing upon Wataida's slaughter of the Mutape elders to prove the ruler's instability and proclivity toward violence when events unfold outside of his control. Members of the Maziso Ake secretly enter into the cities and bomas of the Mutape, and nail leaflets with the names of the slay elders and number of civilians killed by Wataida and his generals to the walls of several homes and buildings. The Mutape warriors for their part attempt to remove these leaflets from their cities before the break of dawn, hoping to prevent news of the massacre from reaching the ears of the citizens.
- Empire of Ethiopia: With the nearby Muslim states subjugated and conquered, the Empire enters a period of domestic focus. The Empire focuses on its infrastructure, working to maintain and improve its roads, as well as building more rest stops along harsh routes to accommodate travelers and traders. Additionally, the cities and towns which appeared along the roads are given charters to formalize their status as cities in the Empire. The University at Barari continues to teach the children of the nobility, with many scholars and philosophers finding steady employment there as the Emperor patronizes the University and its staff. The Ethiopian ports are also maintained and expanded to accommodate further trade ships and to allow construction of a larger Ethiopian naval presence. Ethiopian traders continue to ply the seas, with Ethiopian ships becoming common sights in ports along the Red Sea, the Indian Ocean, and in the Swahili city states south of the Horn. To encourage conversion to Christianity, the Emperor decrees that Muslim and pagan traders will have to pay an additional tax when attempting to use Ethiopia’s trade network and access Ethiopian trade markets. This tax is not imposed, of course, on merchants coming from India and Egypt, and only applies to East African Muslims. The Empire also receives news that the Mamelukes have managed to secure Egypt against the fanatically zealous Taymiyyahs. An Ethiopian delegation is sent to Egypt, consisting of nobles, clergymen, and crown agents. The Empire requests that the Mamelukes allow the Patriarch of Alexandria to return there from his exile in Ethiopia, and to allow Christians to practice in Egypt. They also request that Ethiopia be allowed to establish trade offices in Alexandria and Cairo to regulate and promote Ethiopian trade there. In addition, Ethiopia offers the Mamelukes a defensive pact against the Taymiyyahs [MOD RESPONSE NEEDED].
- Egypt agrees to this.
- Latin Empire of Romania: Emperor William, although disappointed at the rejection by the young Duke Frederick of Neopatria, still sends his cousin to marry into the ducal family. The empire, while active in the local trade scene of the Eastern Mediterranean, does not do much else of note this year, aside from the construction of some new naval ships at the port of Piraeus. Toward the end of the year, William meets with his son-in-law, the Polish prince Andrzej, to discuss the situation in Anatolia. While Andrzej was eager to begin an expansion of Latin Romania, William demurs - for this year, at least.
- Poland-Lithuania: Administrative reforms continue. as does the sales of lands considered unneeded to fro crown functions. The Polish cavalry continues to adapt taking the successes against the Mongols, the Rus, and the Turks. Now being styled as the Pancerny (companions) of the crown, drawing inreasingly from the lower and middle nobility, as well as from the free land owning peasants. A lighter cavalry is also promoted out of the autonomous frontier communities to help improve reserves. The building of Roads in Galicia, and Lithuania continues, specially from Vilnius going west, and along the Transcarpathian trade routes. The young Wladyslaw's education is exapnded upon to include learning Polish, Lithuanian, Ruthenian, as well as German, alongside learning history an expansion of his religious learning and history. His martial training also begins with horseback riding and swordsmanship being the primary focus. Amongst his teachers a Polish Mercedine by the name of Gregory Kowalski gains prominance due to his quick wit and care for the boy which endears him to Stanislovas. He and his wife have another child a girl named Ada. Construction of a university in Vilnius begins. Alongside this, the town square is expanded to permit for a bigger market place, and construction of the Cathedral of our Lady of Victory also begins construction to commemorate the great victory over the Ottomans as well as the key role played by the Lithuanians further enhancing the prestige of the catholic faith within Lithuania. The rate of conversion to catholicism amongst the Lithuanians continues to grow with about 40 percent of the Lithuanians now attending masses headed by mercedine priests, primarily amongst the nobility and city populations, though a growing number of free peasants also begin to convert do to the ability to purchase land for catholics. Husbandry continues to grow as an important economic activity due to the growing demands for horses for both trade and warfare. A local priest in Krakow claims that a boy who was dying has been cured while praying at the Mauseleum of the now venerated Wenceslaus III.
Pope Innocent VI dies of natural causes. A new conclave is held to elect the next pope.
The Great Saint Marcellus Flood strikes across Lothraingia, Denmark, Frisia and England throughout the year. Several ports are destroyed along the Duchy of Schleswig and in Kent, while the Frisian island chain near Lothraingia is broken in two. Over 36,000 people are drowned, mostly in Lorhaingia and northern Germany. This becomes known as the first great massacre in the Ocean's war against the Dutch.
31 Nordic explorers from the Jarldom of Vinland make an expedition west to explore the American continent. They manage to reach as far as Lake Michigan, before being attacked by local Dakota tribes. After losing ten warriors in the ensuing battle, they manage to return home to Newfoundland, leaving behind only a single monument stone in Nordic runes.
Haakon Magnusson revolts against his father, and proclaims himself king of Sweden, attempting to seize his birthright while his father is still alive.
A fire breaks out in Saint Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, destroying much of the church.
The explorations of the King of Iceland have found some coastline, but there is no sign of any recent settlements or anyone with knowledge of Vinland. Instead, they've found a lot of large, flat rocks that are big enough for people to lay on. Meanwhile, the Öræfajökull Volcano erupts, destroying much of Litlahérað.
The Kingdom of Sukhothai, vassal of Ayutthaya declares war on the growing kingdom of Lang Xang, seeing them as a greater threat.
Empress Anna von Schweidnitz of Germany dies, leaving Emperor Charles IV unmarried.
Louis Capet, the Dauphin of France has a son named Louis by his wife Agnes Wittelsbach. King Victor names him Count of Boulogne, and his newborn son is named Count of Ponthieu
Edward III's parliament makes English the court language for the first time.
- Mali Empire: Wydah and surrounding tribal kingdoms of OTL Ghana continue to be annexed by Baraq. The navy that conitnues to provide supplies from Dakar and Koya has constructed a new port in the region locally at this point, known as Medinah Nkan "City of Ants". According to local legend, the land of Wydah was originally ruled over by a kingdom of ants in ancient times, before the god Olorun turned them into people to populate the land. Manding secret societies also help to integrate people gorups of Jabal Asada, Waalo, Kanem, and Nigeria, along with the Nigerian Tributary system where Islamic missions are sent. It was also this year that tragedy struck for the Prophet Yunus, who had greatly impacted the life and culture of the Mali Empire. He was crossing on caravan from Njimi to Gao, when suddenly a group of bandits dragged him off his camel and proceeded to take rocks to have him stoned. Abu Yunus prayed earnestly, to which the bandits mocked and laughed that he asks mercy from God, when they had been employed to have him killed. Yunus explained that he was not praying for his own saftey, for he knew his time had come, but rather he was praying for God's mercy on them. According to apocryphal legends, after they had killed him then vultures came down and tore out their eyes. He was buried by his sons in a private grave, which has never been found to this day. His personal wealth was inheirted by his designated successor, Idris As-Segu, who was also appointed as leader of the Manding religion by the Mansa. From that point forward, the sect of Mandike Islam was now known as "Yuniyyah Islam" or "Yuni Islam". Great mosuqes continue to be build along the Sahelian-Gothic style, including a mosque in Timbuktu named the Nabi Yunus Mosque.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: Recognizing the opportunity presented to Dai Viet by Sukhothai's war against Lan Xang and honorbound by his alliance, Emperor Chinh orders all the levy's to mobilize providing a force 19,450 strong to fight for Dai Viet against the forces of Lan Xang. Emperor Chinh makes a request to Champa for the use of their troops as a part of the Dai Viet levy (Mod Response, pls provide Champa force size). Troops numbering at 2,000 strong along with half the cannons provided by Ayutthaya are ordered to defend Mụ Giạ Pass in southern portion of Dai Viet utilizing the Annamite mountain range as a natural defense from any invasion forces there and also sending scouts to probe Lan Xang in the area for any sign of an attack. They are encamped within the largest fort in the Pass under the command of Huỳnh Ðức Cường, one of Kiều Sơn Hà's proteges. The remaining 21,450 troops and other half of the Ayutthaya furnished cannons under General Kiều Sơn Hà and his other protege Hồ Quý Ly are ordered to move through northern Laos/Vietnam where raiding parties had been consistently probing and mapping the region. The army marches relatively unopposed to their destination due to the fact that Lan Xang had marshalled its forces to fight alongside the Chinese against Sukhothai, Ayutthaya, and the Kingdom of Lavo. They eventually reach the Lan Xang capital of Luang Prabang and begin to lay siege with siege engines, trenches, cannons, and sappers deployed utilizing knowledge gathered from the Siege of Vijaya against Luang Prabang while deploying scouts to keep an eye out for hostile forces (Mod Response/Algorithm, Siege of Luang Prabang). The Dai Viet navy is ordered to remained docked due to the need for resources to fight in the West. As the war began the officials gathered from the Champa aristocracy are put to work as administrators across Southern Dai Viet with the children from testing continuing their training. Efforts to construct gold mines are put on hold as the Scarlet Dragon detachment is ordered back to defend Hanoi. Laborers and slaves (captured Lan Xang, Nestorians, etc.) are put to work improving the roads and erecting/reinforcing fortifications in this time of crisis for the Kingdom. An emergency tax is implemented across Dai Viet to provide money and supplies for the war effort. Blacksmiths from across the Kingdom are ordered to begin producing arms and armor to be supplied to the troops on the front lines as equipment. Dai Viet places an order for gunpowder shipments from China to increase to the minimal supply of gunpowder at their disposal provided by Ayutthaya. The Scarlet Dragons (200 men) make preparations to defend the capital of Hanoi should the armies on the front falter. During this time, Empress Sujin has become pregnant with a child that is expected to arrive next year by court physicians. For the duration of this war, entertainment troupes and gladiator tournaments are put on hold to ensure that the people's attention is devoted toward producing goods and equipment.
- Champa provides an additional 4,000 troops for the campaign.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II is forced to sign the treaty of Treaty of Caernarfon, unable to overcome the English forces, superior in numbers and technology. Initially he spends a week lamenting over the abandonent of our Welsh allies, indeed what a lost opportunity to liberate our brethren. But alas, it shall not come to pass, not yet at least. He finds some consolation to the fact that both Scotland and Ireland now stand liberated, free to determine their own fates once again. Economic, diplomatic and any kind of other assistance required, other than resumption of hostilities, such as helping them escape persecution from the English authorities into our domain, all this support is freely given to our Welsh kindred, nobility and commoners alike, in part to compensate for their abandonment in the treaty, hoping to keep the flame of the cause of independence alive, if not yet openly hostile, but vigilant for when the time comes. Same assistance is given freely to the Cornish people. [Welsh/Cornish Response]. The English nobility in Northern England is also approached, attempting to elicit pledges of allegiance, not to the Scottish King himself, but to purpose of the restoration of the ancient Kingdom of Northumbria as an independent realm, where the Northern nobles would be able to elect their own King. Of some to our cause and create some instability in the region, we funnel the flames of separatism in Northern England, promising to help them militarily gain and retain their independence, completely separate from Scotland, other than allied, as under no circumstances do we intend to breech their trust and envelop them, stripping them from their independence, we simply wish to see them completely free to determine their own future, all this can be achieved shall they rise against the tyrannical administation in London when the time is right. [Northern English Nobility Response] The army marches home victorious, applauded by lords and commoners alike, in a huge celebration as they come back to their families. King David's wife Isabella gives birth to a healthy girl, baptised as Alison. Cheerful and greatful with the birth of his daughter, the King calls for a double celebration, inviting all the nobles in his realm to a feast. The mood in Edinburgh and the rest of Scotland is jubiliant and now that the war is over, King David II can focus on recovery and reformation of his nation for nothing is secure as long as England stands on its feet, lurking and bidding its time to consume Scotland once again. Preparedness is of the utmost importance. A series of fortifications, fortresses and outposts are constructed along the Anglo-Scottish border, blocking passage to every major route and utilizing every strategic location, adapting to the terrain and making use of every natural boundary such as hills, mountains, canyons, etc. Now that the war with the England is over, King David II honors his promise and oversees the establishment of a sea trade route linking Edinburgh with Reykjavik, with a few daring merchants making the first trip, bringing back goods such as ivory, which is introduced into the Scottish market for the first time. The surplus is forwarded to Ireland, England and continental Europe, giving our merchants a sizable profit margin. King David II decides to imitate the decision of the English parliament to designate the language of the commoners as the court language, seeing advantages into rallying the Scottish people and fostering a greater sense of shared identity to them by designating Gaelic Scottish as the official court language. Taking into consideration the current political outset, England remains the greatest threat to our existance and to that end, Ireland, a crucial ally in the previous war with England and a nation we would consider to be kindred, can serve as an indispensable ally in that end, for we are both threatened by the possibility of an English reemergence, aspiring to dismantle everything we fought for. As such an offer of renewing our alliance is send to Ireland, along with establishing sea trade routes between our capitals and major cities, offering to set in motion the Edinburgh-Dublin sea route. Also an offer of betrothal is made, the King David's firstborn son and heir, Robert, aged 12 years old, is looking for a suitable bride, in order to ensure and further strengthen future ties with Ireland. [Irish Player Response]
- English nobility are not interested.
- Papal States: With the death of Pope Innocent VI, his Fisher's ring is destroyed by Cardinal-Secretary Andrew Corsin. A mass is celebrated for the soul of the deceased pope and his body is buried in the Basilica of Saint Peter. After hearing about the floods that are affecting Northern Europe, Cardinal Corsini sends physicians and priests of the Army of Mercy to Lothraingia, Denmark, Frisia and England. They will bring supplies and will help those suffering by the flood. Help is also sent to Iceland, due to the volcanic eruption that happened there. A commission is sent to Poland-Lithuania to investigate the miracle attributed to Venerable Wenceslaus III. Cardinal Corsini begins to organize the Conclave and the security will be done by the Swiss Guard. While the cardinals start the Conclave, once again the people pray for the future of Christendom. Due to their time in exile, the Coptic community living in the Papal States start to adopt some characteristics of the Latin-rite.
- Hungary: As the troops return home King Stephan VI sets up the Treaty of Pest to appropriate the spoils of victory. King Stephan also sets his eyes on Ragusa, citing to the nobles and his advisors that the important port of Split as key access to the Mediterranean. Stephan puts a goal to this conquest at 1365. Further Hungarian settlement into West Transylvania and Moldova continues in the hopes of "Magyarizing" the territories.
- Iceland: The population rises to 30.210 and with no recorded casualties from the eruption it’s called a small bump in the road. With the Uprising in Sweden Iceland proclaims neutrality. Regent Ólaf thanks the Papacy for their supplies which are equally distributed throughout the Country. A marriage is proposed to Hispania for King Domnhall.(Spanish response needed). The Treaty of Akranes is proposed to Sweden (Swedish response Needed)
- Republic of Venice: After thousands of rebels are killed in Ferarra and Lake Garda are killed, and Ravenna at the knees of Ordelaffi, when their indecisive Lord officially declares to be loyal to Venice after he fears that the Lord of Forli will march into his land. With the Ravennese lands, men and the massive arsenale the war effort gets a massive boost. The Doge-General, meanwhile, asks the Lord of Mantua to allow the Venetian army to march through his lands, in order to defeat the Separatists holding out in Bologna. Even without the shorter way through Mantua the Venetian army reaches. The last major battle of the war is fought in August near Bologna, with 18,000 Venetians against Romagna. Ambush and flanking tactics are used, while a portion of the army is shot with a rain of burning arrows. (ALGO, PLEASE).
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: As the war has finally concluded, the time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines begins, expecting to be completed by 1370. Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance.
- Sweden-Norway: Early in the year, King Magnus signs the Treaty of Arkanes with the King of Iceland, ceding the Faroes, Shetland, and Orkney to Iceland, in return for further trade, and Icelandic ports being open to Swedish ships. Sweden gains control of Scania after the Battle of Halland, defeating the Danes. After returning to Stockholm, King Magnus is faced with a revolt by his son and heir Haakon, who claims the Swedish throne. He attacks the returning army with the support of several nobles unhappy with the reign of his father. The battle ends with Haakon's fresh army almost decimating the war-worn troops of Magnus. Haakon wins control of Stockholm and Uppsala, and also vast parts of Norway, while Magnus is forced to flee to Jonkoping. The year ends with Sweden and Norway divided, with no clear winner.
- Swiss Confederacy: After discussions between the Confederacy's bishops and other cardinals, the 3,000 Swiss mercenaries in Wallachia are withdrawn to Switzerland, and the Central Council sends an envoy to the King of Wallachia, saying that the Confederacy can only continue to support Wallachia if the King converts to Catholicism. (Wallachia response) The Central Council is not pleased with the Count of Werdenberg-Sargans declining to join the Confederacy, as they are worried the Count's financial incompetence will allow the Habsburgs to gain power in the region. Hence, anticipating potential future conflicts on the eastern border of the Confederacy, the Central Council orders the joint military of the Confederacy to focus on fortifying the eastern cantons of Toggenburg, Glarus and Chur; Rapperswil Castle in the Canton of Toggenburg is used as a sort of base of operations for these eastern military activities. Scholars of the new Bern Library sends an envoy to the Manesse family asking to create a new copy of the Codex Manesse; however, the guild of Zürich, wishing to keep the Zürich Library's copy more exclusive, urges the family to deny this request. (Mod response for Manesse family) The Canton of Toggenburg sends an envoy to the Prince-Abbacy of St. Gall, suggesting the Prince-Abbot's territory should join the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of St. Gallen (which would extend northwest to Wil, northeast to Rorschach on Lake Constance and south to Appenzell) for defensive benefit against potential Habsburg or Hungarian aggression, for trade benefit and to increase cooperation with the bishoprics of Basel, Chur and Sion in the Confederacy; like Engelberg, the Prince-Abbot would remain as governor of his domestic territory and represent it in the Central Council. (Mod or papal response) At Lake Lucerne, some new boats are built to carry people between Lucerne, Gersau and Schwyz. Domestically, the government works on building a new hospital in Unterwalden alongside the Western Church there to allow a more effective physician response in the event of a new outbreak of the Black Death. Ida von Lenzburg and Louis of Anjou, King of Arles have a third child, a son named John (b. 1362).
- St. Gall would join with the Pope's permission.
- The urges of Zurich is ignored, and the family requests some scribes from the Monastery of Saint Bernard to come copy the book for Bern.
Wallachian Diplomacy: Nicholas accept to change into Catholicism. Swiss Diplomacy: The Central Council of the Confederacy is pleased with King Nicholas's conversion and the 3,000 Swiss mercenaries are sent to support Wallachia again.
- You aren't converting to Catholicism.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": After years of indeciviseness, the Parliament of Mechelen finally adds Commoner and Nobles seats for Frisia and Lorraine. Both states gaining nobility seats, and Lorainne gaining two seats for the Capital of Nanzig. While the emperor officially changes back the name of the Duchy of Lorraine to Mossele her original name of the Duchy, as to avoid possible confusion. This being due to the Fact Lorraine was both a part of Lotharingia and her French name, the full Irench name being Royaume de Lorraine. This all combined with the now enhanced power of all feudal states of the Parliament, begins to show the power and might of Constitutional Monarchy. The lands of the crown being father small and those the king has being used for farming, and court mostly only small bits being for royal joy. The peace with England creating meaning the Creation of new Royal land, the crownlands of the Channel Islands. Lotharingian merchants also gaining trade and docking rights in Norwich, Colchest and Great Yarmouth, this all helping trade. Trade that has been damaged due to The Great Saint Marcellus Flood striking, the war against Poseidon. As 36,000 men have been killed by the floods, the Emperor asking the empire and the pope for aid in helping those affected (Pope Response) (Mod Response). While in the Berghuische Charles Finaly anounces the name of the heir that has been born a couple of years, His name being Feinsin of Luxembourg-reginarid. Another Reginarid who is moving a lot is Hendrickus Pisacus Reginar, as they have reached the Morrocan City of Rabat. A city where he can openly follow his faith without any issue's. Al-Ismak buying new goods once more, writing more and more on his books and being himself a good old pair of Berber clothing he loves so much. Hendrickus telling his explorrers and converts more about Islam the Quran and trade, Mostly focussing on Trade with the explorrers. Although he does talk much about Islam with his 43 converts and even some Marocans who join Pisacus سيدي إرميا الهلشتية in the Trade mision. Pisacus trying to make his voyage look more and more like a local tribal voyage, Pisacus calling himself. Thus he does show his slight ambitions from being a peasant to his own Count, in the land that adopted him. Pisacus even asking him followers to come up with a vexiloid to represent themself with.
- Papal Diplomacy: Cardinal-Secretary Andrew Corsini sends physicians and priests of the Army of Mercy with supplies to help.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: At this time, we're in charge of Catholic establishment literature and cuture are being developed so far many of environment as changed well and the main language after month ago, some of people the Vlachs got a trade from the Byzantium's place at Constaninpole they trade so much and continue activity in main right of production men and women are in good safety of that current development Prince Nicholas and his council write some new dialect generation to the future era of a day of the state of Wallachia.
- Tian China: Although the empire has not gone to war fully for quite a few years (apart from the brief invasion of Taiwan), this year marks the end of this long period of peace, as the Emperor hears news of the ayyathutan invasion of one of our tributaries. Although China would normally not intervene in such a dispute, La Xang is a tributary, and thus the Emperor is enraged by the upstart invasion of a Chinese trading partner. Although he decides not to do anything toward Vietnam, since they are an ally of the empire, the emperor Explicitly warns them that he is very displeased by their actions in coordinating against a fellow tributary with an enemy of the empire, and warned against further such actions in the future. The Emperor also declares war against Ayutthaya, in defense of our tributary, and sends an army of 25,000 soldiers led by his son, Tian Xuanye (An experienced commander from years fighting against the Manchus) to battle against Ayutthayan forces in coordination with La Xang's forces (ALGORITHM NEEDED) As an extra incentive to make the soldiers fight harder, they are promised vacant lands along the Yagzte for their service once the war is over. The Emperor also continues to encourage the movement of large groups of migrants from the eastern and northern provinces into the Henan and Yangzte river regions, in order to repopulate them, as a continuation of the efforts which have been ongoing for the last two years. Also, in order to accommodate the growing population of the city, a new section of Nanjing begins to be built and its port expanded, in order to accomodate its role as one of southern China's greatest trade ports and its new status as one of the world's largest cities. We also begin to undergo similar efforts in Luoyang, which has seen a massive population boom in recent years due to the influx of new migrants into Henan and the prestige of being the capital once more, and the emperor's infrastructure projects, which have drawn many peasants to move into the city from the countryside. The persecution of Christains also continues, with many of those hunting them down seeing an opportunity in the decision of Dai Viet to begin enslaving them, and with the emperors permission begin to start profiting off the sale of Christian slaves to Vietnam, both getting them out of China and making money for the empire in turn.
- Latin Empire of Romania: This year, Emperor William de la Roche gives permission to Prince Andrzej, the Count of Caria and his son-in-law, to declare war on the Beylik of Hamid. The Emperor sends 10,000 men, many of whom are experienced veterans of the Crusade of the Holy League, and therefore aware of the Turkish tactics, to join a smaller contingent of 2,000 men raised from Caria alone. All of these men are at the command of Prince Andrzej, who leads a surprise assault against the outnumbered Turkish forces at Isparta (formerly known as Baris). The old Byzantine fortress had not been kept up since the city fell to the Seljuk Turks nearly a century ago, and the battle is widely anticipated to be a Latin Roman victory (ALGO, please). Meanwhile, toward the end of the year, another force of 8,000 men is raised under the command of Pascal de Renoud, who trains the men before they are sent to Caria in December. Religiously, Patriarch Gaspar of Thesslaonica arrives in Rome and casts his ballot in the Papal Conclave, to replace Pope Innocent VI. The Patriarch was quite close with the Pope - given their mutual interest in the recent crusade, and is extremely sorrowful at the Pope's passing.
- Hanseatic League: The army attacking Aalborg is reinforced by 8,000 more mercenaries. Another attack begins once winter is over, this time approaching from the south and pinning the Danish army against the Limfjord, away from Aalborg. Assuming the Danish army is beaten, the Hanseatic army again makes an attack on Aalborg. Supply lines are established, both by the blockade and the incoming mercenaries. The economy of the Hanseatic League absolutely booms this year, as member states buy war supplies from Hanseatic vendors. (MORE TO COME. AM SICK AND JUST TOOK SOME NYQUIL. ALGO NEEDED.)
- Poland-Lithuania: Administrative reforms continue. Extension of roads continues adding tothe project connecting Polotsk to Vilnius, and to connect Lublin to Lwow. In Krakow an expansion of the Market place begins as is the construction of paved roads (There are still italian engineers uner the employment of the crown), The Jewish merchants form their first guild leader is named Isaac Goren whose father had passed away leaving him a small financing enterprise. The fortifications at Polotsk undergo an upgrade with new outer walls, and ramparts being commissioned along with an expansion of living quarters for the garrison. In Silesia the city of Wroclaw begins to regain some of its old alure as the mines in Silesia begin to operate at an optimal level again and as the now restored market place reconnecting Polish trade with the interior of the HRE. The education of Prince Wladyslaw Jagiello continues as does his martial training He takes to horse riding enjoying it a great deal. Hearing the stories of his father and his maternal grandfather the venerated Wenceslaus III and their battles against the Mongols and the people of the steppes. He also proves adept for catography taking a great interest in the geography of his father's realms. Military reforms continue.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Emperor celebrates his new defensive alliance with Egypt. With Egypt now allowing Christians to practice once more in their territory, Newaya Krestos is celebrated and praised by all Coptics in Egypt and East Africa. The Pope of Alexandria prepares to leave his exile in Ethiopia to return, and the Emperor arranges for a grand procession for the Pope as he leaves Ethiopia. Before leaving, the Pope agrees to grant Ethiopia a Bishop, and appoints a local priest as the new Bishop of Ethiopia. Thousands of peasants flock the streets of Barari as the Pope makes his departure. The Pope boards a ship at Beri that is protected and escorted by the Ethiopian fleet back to Egypt, where he makes a triumphant return to Alexandria. Agents of the Ethiopian Ministry of Trade accompany the Pope to Alexandria, where they establish a trade office to help promote Ethiopian trade to Egypt. Another contingent of agents travel to Cairo where they establish a trade office there as well. A delegation of Ethiopian clergymen and Imperial agents also travels with the Pope, but with the intent of finding the Pope in Rome Pisacus informed the Empire about before his exile. This delegation arranges transportation to Rome via European trade ships and presents gifts of khat, spices, and a two chests of gold to the Roman Pontiff [PAPAL RESPONSE]. With trade with Egypt open, barges full of Ethiopian and Indian goods begin to travel down the Nile, trading with the Nile communities there. Ethiopia continues to improve its domestic infrastructure, with the Emperor attempting to improve Ethiopia’s naval tradition. With three ports under Imperial control, construction of larger Ethiopian ships becomes the main project for the Empire, in order to develop ships more powerful than the dhow.
- Nyazwe: Chatunga mobilizes the household army in Lusvingo in preparation for his grand campaign into the Mutape territories, and to bring his brother Wataida to justice for his crimes against the state. More than 16,000 warriors are marshaled outside the city walls of Lusvingo, with two-thirds being infantry and the other third comprised of cavalry. War Minister Munesu is tasked with overseeing preparations for a pacification of the liberated lands in the wake of Chatunga's campaign, as well as the trial and imprisonment of all enemy warriors captured by the loyalist forces. News of this massive army's departure from the loyalist capital horrifies the Mutape generals, who have only recently managed to organize enough manpower to secure recent gains in the areas of Malumba and Thulamela. Wataida for his part acknowledges that it was only a matter of time before his brother brought to bear the full force of Nyazwe against him, and lashes out in anger at his generals for failing to appropriately divide Chatunga's attention to various locations around the heartland of Nyazwe. Seeking to draw Chatunga's attention away from Thulamela where he is stationed, Wataida sends Ishe Sibonakaliso, and Nguni-descended warrior from the city of Akashinga, north to capture Muromo Weshiri from the loyalists. This is in direct violation to the terms agreed upon with Munashe, who brokered a deal with the foreign city-states of the Swahili and Arabs to secure the trade routes to the country, and angers many of the Arab merchants residing in the southern port of Muromo Wenyika. Fearing that Wataida's rash decision to prevent a defeat at the hands of Chatunga by attacking the northern port city will ultimately see the wrath of the loyalists visited upon Muromo Wenyika, the merchants of the city send a large delegation to Sibonakaliso in Kusvika, where they offer him a large sum of money in exchange for his abandoning the campaign to the north. Though he sided with Wataida out of his alliance with the Nguni in the south, Sibonakaliso is skeptical that dividing the Mutape army will be successful, and meets with his fellow generals to discuss their course of action. After some deliberation, Sibonakaliso declines the offer of money from the merchants, but agrees to abort the campaign to Muromo Weshiri. So as to avoid any further loss of life to his men or the civilians in the land, Sibonakaliso defects with his army of 2,500 men to the loyalists, having read the writing on the wall that Wataida's rebellion is lost. The western outposts of the Nyazwe continue to grow despite the civil war in the east, with their survival due largely in part to the institutions established there prior to the conflict. News of Sibonakaliso's betrayal of the Mutape cause causes Wataida to begin behaving irrationally, believing that just like his father he himself is now surrounded by enemies and traitors. Assuming the end is near, Wataida ignores the advice of his generals, and abandons his position at Lose, moving back to Thulamela where he amasses his entire eastern army to the city to face his brother's army coming from the north. His generals urge him to reconsider, and retreat from the city to buy time for his army to rest and prepare for the loyalist offensive. Instead, Wataida gathers all 17,500 of his warriors to Thulamela, hoping to end the civil war at Malumba. Having abandoned the west, Wataida's impatience allows the remaining loyalist forces to move to Lusvingo, and increase Chatunga's forces to some 23,700 warriors, bringing them to parity with the rebels. Both sides gather at Malumba for what they assume will be the final great battle of the civil war, though no one can decide what the future will hold, or if the hatred between the two brothers will continue to fuel their war against the other for more years to come. The western settlements Maun, Gantsi, and Nzou Inogara are granted a five-year reprieve from delivering their quotas to Lusvingo, and are instead allowed a measure of freedoms for this brief period of time to ensure their productivity outside of the civil war's reach. Maun's farmlands within the Okavango Delta are cultivated extensively as an alternative source of grain, helping bolster food supplies to the core regions following the succession of the south from Nyazwe. Katima Mulilo expands over a period of time as a center of population, as many war refugees from the southeast arrive seeking safety at the relatively young town, which has begin touted as the "gateway to the west" by the government. To ensure their security, Chatunga authorizes the stationing of a single misasa to each of the four settlements in the west, decreasing his forces by about two thousand warriors, but securing the future of the land his brother wrote off as "useless" prior to his rebellion.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: 1352: Even though Khizr Khan has been following his father’s policy of not awarding land grants as payments and instead paying his armies in cash, he still feels that the powerful Shiqdars (district officers) who are a part of the military may revolt. So, he decides to separate the civil administration from the military. For this, the Kotwali system is separated from the military and the Kotwali system is formalised and rules are laid out for the functioning of the Kotwali system (proto-police). The Kotwali is responsible for enforcing the laws, protecting men of religion and traders from bandits and punishing law-breakers. The Sultan orders the Judicial Department to come up with a criminal code. Following the tradition of the Indian Muslim rulers, it is decided that Muslim personal law will not be enforced on the non-Muslims. With the new succession laws, it is now the ability to rule and qualities of leadership that will decide the successor of the Sultan, and scholars and chroniclers have found legal justification for accomplished facts. Hence, the Sultan nominates Fateh Shah, his second eldest son as his successor. Fateh Shah’s nomination is supported by the majority of the nobles of the Chalisa and Mohammed Asaduddin. The Sultan’s eldest son Feroze Khan, though reluctantly, accepts the nomination. More garrison towns are established in Munger, Lakhnaur and Devkot (Bangarh). The construction of the Gulbarga fort is completed. 1356: The Punjab irrigation project is completed further boosting revenue in Punjab. Punjab has now become one of the wealthiest regions in the Sultanate. The wind pump begins spreading across India. The criminal code is completed and a copy is sent to each Kotwali across all the Shiqs of the Sultanate. 1357: The central administration is reorganised. Another province is created with its capital at Dhar, Malwa. Now, there are three posts in the Chalisa which can be filled by people nominated by the Sultan. A separate building for the meetings of the Chalisa begins construction. 1358: The Chalisa building is completed in the Siri Fort Complex, called the Darbar-i-Chalisa. 1359: The Sultanate’s control over the Deccan is dependent on the control of the three Deccan fortresses, namely Alaipur, Gulbarga and Sultanpur and also on the loyalty of its southern vassals. 1361: Zephar Khan Bahman, Governor of the Gulbarga fortress, revolts, agitated by the reforms and the shake-up in the administration. He is joined by many nobles, similarly angered by the reforms. An expedition sent by the ageing Sultan against him fails and Zephar Khan Bahman starts besieging the Fort of Sultanpur. ||| The previous decade occupied the Sultanate in a flurry of reforms led by the Sultan and his three eldest sons. The Sultan introduced many reforms and worked with his bureaucrats and nobles and the Chalisa to properly implement them. The Sultanate established state-regulated bazaars in all the major cities and towns and regulations stipulated by the Bayt-ul-Mal were enforced on these bazaars. Several rules were laid down for the conduct of the state officials and local administration. 1362: The Sultan sends a force of ten tumen under Feroze Khan, his eldest son to attack Zephar Khan Bahman’s forces at Sultanpur. The army links up with one tumen of troops from the Belur Sultanate, led by the Belur Sultan. (ALGO NEEDED, Z.K. Bahman would have around 50,000 troops, cause I have made it as a reaction to the reforms).
Habemus Papam! The renowned Bishop Andrew Corsini is elected Pope, taking on the papal name Pope Nicholas V. A signfiicant move on his part, as Pope Nicholas IV was known for his diplomacy to the Mongol Empire and helped secure the Franco-Mongol Alliance in previous crusades.
Scandinavia begins to fall into crisis as a result of the civil wars in both Sweden-Norway and Denmark. Sweden has fallen under the de-facto control of Haakon Magnusson, but struggles to maintain order as pro-Magnus forces remain. In Norway, the nobles are very belligerant against King Magnus, believing he has betrayed the nation by signing the recent treaty with Iceland. This is because: 1) trade already exists in Iceland, so it doesn't need to be enforced by treaty, and 2) the Shetland and Orkney Islands are the key positions to secure trade in the North Sea. Without them it nullifies any gain given by Iceland granting free trading access.
Some individual nobles in Sweden or Norway reach out to the Hanseatic League for help, seeing their great success in fighting against King Valdemar of Denmark. Valdemar, meanwhile, seeks to gain support of Haakon against their mutual enemies, and offers marriage to his daughter, Margaret. King Magnus' own wife, Blanche of Namur, also dies this year.
A minor revolt occurs in Bosnia against the Serbian Empire.
A peasant uprising of Greeks occurs in Crete against Venetian rule, as a result of their ongoing civil war.
Sultan Al-Afdal of Yemen composes one of the worlds first multilingual dictionaries.
French Philosopher Jean Buridan publishes a theory of "impetus", suggesting that objects only move if a steady force continues to be applied to it.
Philip the Bold succeeds his father, John the Good, as Duke of Burgundy.
- Mali Empire: The port city of Nkran along the coastal kingdom of Wydah (Ghana) continues to be slowly expanded, as navies from Koya and Dakar help supply resources and infrastructure. Neighboring tribal kingdoms to this region are also being subjugated as well, as Manding secret societies help to integrate African people groups from Waalo, Ghana, Kanem, and Nigeria. Philosophy made a great transformation in Mali around this time period, right after the death of the Prophet Abu Yunus. The "Imperial Caliph" Idris succeeded who succeeded him, taking a purely ecclessiastical post in Segu, became well known as a great philosopher in his own right. He wrote extensively on the life of the prophet, expounding on his earlier teachings and anecdotes as a way of fully codifying the Mandike religion into a cohesive narrative. He took much attention to the death of the prophet particularly, and his work On Death has often been used as a textbook on coping with grief. But to his contemporaries, On Death serves primarily as a new theologic stance on the suffering of Prophets. For Idris, persecution has always been a prerequisite of being a prophet of God, and all the great prophets of history have suffered persecution to one degree or another. The Prophets in Sunni Islam generally skirt around such persecution, especially in cases like Moses, Jonah and Jesus. These stories were not divine inspiration, but actually later fabrications as a way to hide the persecutions being conducted by the "evil" Abbasid Caliphate. In addition, the works of Latin philosophy handed down by the libraries from Rome have also helped to jumpstart innovations of epistomology in Timbuktu and other cities. This was mostly eaten up by the rising class of Yunni clerics, who were already well known as innovators. The traditional Sunni clerics that remained, however, began to take a far more reactionary appraoch and forbade modern literature altogether. Mansa Ayyob continuse to seek out new wives for his two sons Mustafa and Idris.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The Sultan and the Chalisa compile a book of the reforms, laws and policies of the Sultanate (much like the Arthashastra of the Maurya Empire) to act as a proper guide and give a direction to the successors, a problem which the Sultan had himself faced in the initial years of his rule after a devastating civil war. The town of Ajodhan in Punjab is renamed Faridabad after the Sufi saint Baba Farid whose shrine is in the town. The Great Sultan, Sultan Khizr Khan Khilji dies. While the Chalisa is supportive of his nominee, his second eldest Fateh Shah, there are concerns that Feroze Khan, leading his victorious army back to Delhi might proclaim himself as the Sultan. Fateh Shah waits for the return of his elder brother. Feroze Khan returns and declares his loyalty to Fateh Shah, keeping his father’s wish. Sultan-i-Hindustan Fateh Shah Khilji accedes to the throne in the Siri Fort in Delhi. He nominates Feroze Khan Khilji, his elder brother as his successor and also as the leader of the army. He makes Mohammed Asaduddin, his younger brother, the Wazir. The new Sultan seeks to continue his father’s reforms, guided by the new proto-constitution (the Dustur), the Sultan establishes a School in the Madrassa of Delhi to teach the sons of the Khilji dynasty and the sons of other Noble families in the art of administration, speech, and the Dustur and its principles, the school also teaches the children the value of loyalty to the Sultanate, and hence to the Sultan. This is to ensure that the Governors are trained in the art of administration and to make them loyal to the Sultanate and prevent them from revolting. The Sultanate reopens trade with the Mamluks and seeks to reestablish the old alliance. A permanent embassy is sent to the Mamluk capital (MOD RESPONSE). The Sultan, having visited Ethiopia and having interacted with many Ethiopians, seeks to increase relations with the Ethiopian Empire, a permanent embassy is sent to the Ethiopian capital of Barari (ATL Addis Ababa).The new Sultan was also responsible for the establishment of the naval force and is somewhat of a seafarer, he appoints his close merchant friend, Wajh-ul-Mulk, a Muslim trader who lived in Beri in Ethiopia for a few years and now lives in Khambhat as the Governor of Gujarat. The Sultan, on the advice of his elder brother and leader of the army Feroze Khan, orders the preparation of a contingent for an expedition to the East.
- Mamluks accept an alliance.
- Ethiopia Dip: Ethiopia accepts the embassy sent by the Sultan and grants them an office and rooms in the royal palace.
- Kingdom of Georgia: The Black Death resulted in the deaths of over 40 percent of all Georgian subjects, causing the population to decrease from 6.6 million in 1345 to 3.7 million in 1350. Queen Rusudan was a victim of the plague, succumbing to it in 1348; King Anastasios has since then largely sequestered himself in the confines of the Royal Palace until his death in 1363. In 1351, Tamar III (known popularly as "Aaliyah") married Zekariya – the son of a minor Turkish lord of partial Persian and Armenian ancestry. Aaliyah, however, has trouble bearing a child. Aaliyah succeeded to the throne without much contestation following the death of her father, with her early popularity buoyed by the successes of her predecessors and a popular belief that she will be another "Tamar the Great". Upon succeeding to the throne, Aaliyah repairs the damaged bureaucracy, thus enforcing the collection of tax after a period of mismanagement and lower than normal revenue. Aaliyah uses this revenue to continue funding medieval universities and monastic/cathedral schools and to fulfill the financial needs of the state ministries. Aaliyah also increases the base pay of the members of the Queen's Servants (a more literal translation of the Monaspa; which could also be known as the "Royal Guard") and grants new members more land. With the plague relieving pressure on lands, Aaliyah strengthens property laws and mandates that property would be given to the eldest son (if there is no son to bequeath the property to, the eldest daughter) after one's death unless stated otherwise by a will. Aaliyah also encourages the consolidation of lands for financial purposes. In the wealthiest and most densely-populated areas (Georgia proper and Shirvani), serfdom has suffered a massive blow; the tenant–landlord relationship becomes more equal and contractual in nature as the former demands higher wages and more mobility, and the latter needs more of their labor. However, elsewhere, the opposite occurs – serfdom intensifies. Silver is mined in Imereti, while copper is mined in Kartli; the influx of these metals underpin a thriving economy. Commerce increases. The main export good is cotton cloth; wine, felt, and enamel is also exported but in lesser quantities. Sanctioned foreign trade commences on a large scale once again.
- Kingdom of Scotland: The Black Death combined with the hardships suffered in the Scottish war of independence resulted in the deaths of over 35 percent of all Scottish subjects, causing the population to decline from 650,000 people in 1350 to 420,000 people in 1360. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. Infrastructure linking the Anglo-Scottish border cities such as Roxburgh, South Berwick and Dunbar with Edinburgh, a second one starting from Edinburgh following the coast linking the capital with the major east coast cities such as Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen all the way to Iverness and finally a third one starting from Edinburgh crossing the countryside and Stirling, Glasgow and reaching the coast following it linking the west coast cities such as Ayr, Dumfries all the way to South Berwick again. They are improved as better, wider stone roads are paved, replacing existing dirt roads. Mints established during the reign of David I in the major towns of Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth are reopened and circulation of Scottish coins is restarted. Trade with Reykjavik continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess is forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II enforces his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. This marks the beginning of an era of centralization of authority in the kingdom as various other royal decrees are passed, including the vassal external wars act, disallowing internal wars inside Scotland and the title revocation act, enabling the King to revoke titles from unlawful subjects. Another act greatly relaxed forest laws, enabling and promoting their exploitation. Taking into consideration the current political outset, England remains the greatest threat to our existance and to that end, Ireland, a crucial ally in the previous war with England and a nation we would consider to be kindred, can serve as an indispensable ally in that end, for we are both threatened by the possibility of an English reemergence, aspiring to dismantle everything we fought for. As such, an offer of renewing our alliance is send to Ireland, along with establishing sea trade routes between our capitals and major cities, offering to set in motion the Edinburgh-Dublin sea route. Also an offer of betrothal is made, the King David's firstborn son and heir, Robert, aged 13, is looking for a suitable bride, in order to ensure and further strengthen future ties with Ireland. [Irish Player Response]
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: At this point, the Moldavian revolt is resulting in a civil war actless which is getting worse. The council sent aroung 31,000 soldiers at the border across in Moldavia Prince Nicholas would let me know it. Most of council has developed new merchandist ships battle to intervene in main territory of Moldovia. An offer is made by the noblemen of Nicholas Alexander of Wallachia. Literature and culture are the same in progress far away for now major cities are protected civil right. the revolt causes trouble in Wallachia. They are improving a new border fortress - a village on the border of Wallachia-Moldavian. A lettermens goes in the senate of the voidevode to asking help to end this civil war so they're in the Danube River with some 31,000 soldiers across Moldavia at Giugiulesti so we ask if we can help them as possible we can (mod reponse)
- Iceland: With the new Islands the population reaches 30.800, the Duchy of the Isles is created along with the Archbishopric of the Isles. Gúri Petersen is made the Gúri I of the Isles while the Archbishop of the Isles is Sveinn Patriksson. King Regent Ólaf issues that any unmarried women older than 25 is a self governing member of society, and widows with land now get voting rights. The daughter of Duchess Gúri, Elísbet is betrothed to King Domnhall
- Papal States: With the end of the Conclave, Cardinal Andrew Corsini is choose as the new pope. He is reluctant to accept, but Cardinal Ari Arason from Iceland was able to persuade him by saying that it was God's choice and if by refusing, he is refusing God. Resigned, Andrew accept the burden that God have give to him, then he is crowned as Pope Nicholas V. His first act as pope is choose to the position of Cardinal-Secretary, Ari Arason. The position of head of the Army of Mercy is given to Cardinal Rinaldo Orsini. Nicholas welcome the commitive from the Emperor of Ethiopia and accept the presents. He sends to the Emperor a letter asking to establish contact with the Ethiopians. The pope also sends three Mercedine monks to work as papal legates with the Ethiopian Emperor. Their names are Ulderico Sabbatini, Berardo Cappellino and Giancarlo Contino. A golden cross and an icon of Saint Athanasius of Alexandria are sent as gifts to the Emperor [Ethiopia response needed, please]. The gifts given by Ethiopia are pawned and the money is used to help in the Church's works of charity. This year, Guy de Chauliac publishes his treatise on surgery, which named the Chirurgia Magna. The original book is placed in the Sistine Library, but monks start to work in copies to be distributed across Europe. By suggestion of Chauliac, the pope allows that medicine and astronomy be taught in Saint Augustine's Library. After having analysed the miracle attributed to king Wenceslaus III and finding many other cases of inexplicable cures also attributed to the king across Poland, a revision of his live is done. After seeing that he had a virtuous life, Pope Nicholas V declares king Wenceslaus III as a Saint. Even with the persecution of Christians having ended in Egypt, the Coptic refugees decide to continue to live in the Papal States, having stablished themselves in the province of the March of Ancona. The Holy Father creates as cardinal Walter Wardlaw (Scotland) and Sveinn Patriksson (Iceland). As requested last year, the pontiff allows that St. Gall joins the Swiss Confederacy. Nicholas send a letter to the Orthodox patriarch of Bulgaria, asking for the establishment of diplomatic relations [MOD response needed, please]. Elena Cimorelli continues to have her visions about the Passio of Christ. All that she sees is write in her diary. the Workers of Charity, both males and females, continue to help the poor. The community of Giorgio Cassani continues to attract men wanting to help those in need. With the blessings of the pope and of Elena Cimorelli, some female Workers of Charity led by Loretta Marinacci sends a letter to the Central Council asking to be allowed to create a convent/Beguinage in Swiss territory. [Swiss Comfederacy response needed, please].
- Swiss Diplomacy: The Central Council approves the Beguines' request and offers them some land on the outskirts of the city of Lucerne to create a Beguinage.
- Patriarch Theodosius II agrees to extend diplomatic relations.
- Ethiopian Dip: The Empire graciously accepts the generous gifts and monks sent by the Roman Pontiff.
- Republic of Venice: After the city of Bologna is captured, the last of the mighty Romagnan cities falls to Venice, ending the last organized headquarter of the revolt and annexing the former Federation. The war was costly and hard fought but in the end the good and legitimate powers have won. The heads of the revolt, Andrea Gritti and Filippo Colleoni are arrested, executed and their heads are paraded in the streets of Venice and Bologna respectively, their ministers, meanwhile, are castrated and have their eyes gorged out, those who are specialists and/or run their ministries the most effective. These traitors to the republic are left to be beggars on the street, not even being worthy of death. However, the Doge can be a very mild and loving ruler on the other side. Concerned about the situation in Crete, the peasants are asked for concrete demands, so that a solution can be found (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED). Lord Ordelaffi, meanwhile, is honored for his daring bravery and intelligence as a general for Venice, and is promoted as Chief General of the Venetian army. When the Ethiopian traders turn up in Europe and the Egyptians lift their trading ban, teh Senate reaches out to the Ethiopian Emperor, to sort out a trade agreement for the spice trade (ETHIOPIA AND EGYPT RESPONSE, PLEASE). The trade would be done via Rhodes and Crete in particular, lowering the risk of piracy compared to direct trade to the western Mediterranean.
- Crete demands that recent taxes imposed on them since the start of the civil war should be revoked, and that the people responsible for enforcing the taxes namely Luchino del Verme and Marco Gradenigo should be removed and prosecuted. These demands, posted by a council at the church of Saint Titus, is known as the St. Titus Articles.
- Egypt agrees to trade with Venice exclusively.
- Ethiopian Dip: Ethiopia agrees to establish trade relations with Venice.
- Kingdom of Portugal: This year is a sad year for the king and the kingdom with Heir apparent Ferdinand dies as a result of wounds he sustained during accident earlier this year. This means that next in line for the throne is King peters and Queen Inez eldest son, Prince John which is brought home to the capital to began preparing for his inevitable task as king. The king, nonetheless, continues the annual royal tour visiting many important shipyards and is received with joy and celebrations everywhere.
- Sweden-Norway: The year begins with civil war still raging in the country, as villages are set afire, forts stormed, and peasants slaughtered. More and more jarls start pledging their allegiance to Haakon, recognising him as the true King of Sweden and Norway. Battles are fought regularly throughout the country, with some amounting to thousands of dead. Meanwhile, Magnus is holed up in Jonkoping, virtually surrounded on almost all sides, mourning the death of his wife Blanche, who remained in Stockholm. He had taken along himself several of whom he thought were his loyal nobles — to Jonkoping, however, with the tide rapidly turning in favor of Haakon, which many of the nobles, many of them Norwegian, think would be a much better king. They conspire to overthrow Magnus, their reasons being his grievous economical and political mishandling, and the Treaty of Akranes On the evening of 30 August, the pro-Haakon nobles stage a coup during a dinner, killing Magnus IV & VII, his guards, advisors, and his most loyal jarls, and surrende the town of Jonkoping. A messenger brings these news to Haakon, who mourns the death of his father, who he never meant to kill. He realises that he must act quickly, however. Haakon orders that messengers spread the news. Realising that Sweden and Norway are in a precarious situation, he ultimately agrees to his supposed former enemy King Valdemar's offer regarding a future marriage with his daughter Margaret, although he would want to hear what more conditions Valdemar has, and also proposes a mass marriage of the sons and daughters of prominent Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish lords with each other in order to solidify any alliance (that is to say, the son of a Swedish jarl would marry the daughter of a Norwegian jarl, and a Danish daughter would marry the son of a Norwegian jarl, and vice versa and so on) (mod response). However, even with Magnus dead, several jarls opposed to Haakon remain, mostly spread around southern Sweden.
- King Valdemar IV holds the condition that Sweden-Norway should join in the current war against the Hanseatic League on his side, to defend Jutland and Zeeland from current German aggression. Also, he requests the borders of Scania should return to status quo antebellum
- Swiss Confederacy: With Pope Nicholas V's approval, the new Canton of St. Gallen joins the Confederacy as its seventeenth canton and is given a seat on the Central Council represented by Prince-Abbot Georg of Wildenstein, expanding the Central Council's size to twenty. As the Central Council still sees a potential for military conflict on the eastern border, the joint military immediately begins to fortify the Canton of St. Gallen, particularly the central Abbey of Saint Gall, and continues to use Rapperswil Castle in the Canton of Toggenburg as a base of operations. Furthermore, the Cantons of Toggenburg and St. Gallen send a group of envoys to the County of Montfort (which currently controls a territory just to the east of the Canton of St. Gallen extending from Feldkirch in the south to Tettnang in the north, including the city of Bregenz and surrounding but not including the independent city of Lindau), suggesting that Montfort join the Confederacy for defensive benefit against the Habsburgs (who might use the incompetent Count of Werdenberg-Sargans to attack Montfort) and for trade benefit. (Mod response) In the town of Rorscach in the Canton of St. Gallen, located on the shore of Lake Constance, boats are built to allow communication and trade with cities across the lake; Zürich and Lucerne boatbuilders are consulted to make the construction more efficient. As the King of Wallachia did not convert to Catholicism, the Swiss Confederacy will not supply any more mercenaries to them and the 3,000 mercenaries who had fought in Wallachia are stationed to protect the cities of Zürich and Schwyz. The Western Patriarch Loren Velásquez (1280-1363) dies of natural causes and Mikel Mendoza (b. 1297), head priest of Unterwalden since 1343, is selected to replace him as Western Patriarch. With Mendoza thus moving to the Western Church's see in Tudela, Martin Etcheverry (b. 1311), a Basque priest originally from Bayonne in Gascony who moved to Unterwalden in the 1340s, replaces him as head priest in Unterwalden. The Central Council sends an envoy to Pope Nicholas V, asking him to create the new Western Patriarch Mikel Mendoza as cardinal. (Papal response) With the Manesse family's approval and to the annoyance of the guild of Zürich, scholars from the Bern Library work on creating a fourth copy of the Codex Manesse for their collection. In the Cantons of Basel-City and Basel-Bishopric, repairs of the Basel Cathedral are completed but general rebuilding efforts continue. Domestically, the government works on funding boatbuilding in Rorschach and expanding the lumber industry which said boatbuilding depends on.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V creates as cardinal patriarch Mikel Mendoza.
- The Count of Montfort has peaceful relations with Austria and denies this request.
- Kingdom of Eiru: With the end of war trade resumes as wool and whisky are sold overseas again. One merchant extracts and dries peat and sails to France and then Iberia to sell it as a fuel. Copper mines begin to open up to extract copper ore. The various Irish Kings begin to go their own way and central authority remains weak without the Kingdom of England involved. With the troops returned home there is enough manpower for farms King Tighearnach forms the Parliament of Ireland which contains representatives of the various lesser Kings of Ireland and gives it the right to raise tribute. The lesser Kings of Ireland are reluctant to give much in the way of funds. King Cormac Mac Carthaigh of Desmond allows a number of former Welsh soldiers who fled after the treaty and impoverished Irish soliders led by the Welsh Óengus Feidlimid, landless Irish Dubhghall Aengus and Norse-Gaelic Sigsteinn Alfarr to reside in his Kingdom and they turn to piracy as a new line of work using small longboats until they grab a few ships and return them for ransom allowing them to build a galley and begin raiding shipping in the Celtic Sea bringing small success. The Kingdom of Eiru accepts the Scottish marriage offer giving Naomh O Neill who is 12 as a bride.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Hendrickus and his explorers find land they see as good trading posts able to keep their trading missions alive and well. This spot being a small peninsula with golden beaches between Morocco and the Mali Empire, where almost no people live. So Hendrick pisacus sets camp in the Desert Bay, thus founding semi-officialy a new Sidinate. This camp being for the moment rather basic with one dock, couple of bakeries and armouries and some Christian butchers who are allowed to make Harram food and a couple of Islamic butchers which are not allowed to even touch Harram meats on Duty. سيدي إرميا الهلشتية sending some of his converts to the locals to tell them about the New sidi of the land and that he will protect nomadic traditions culture and life. The Crown lands of the Channel Islands get their first soldiers those being under command of Edmond Mortimer who is given as duty to protect these islands. While this not being a paid command he's allowed to keep a small precentage of the Taxation and tolls of the islands. The Garison he puts on the islands to replace the English garrison, being 2,000 soldiers his troops from wales and Ireland. While the other 1,000 troops under his command are sent back to the Lordship of Horne. Charles trusting in the abilities of the Prince of Wales to protect these islands from any English aggresion, as he and his father fought the English many times before. In Malines, Jan van Osy begins to gain more and more in recognision due to his works on the Saint Rombouts Church, this being a great example of Brabantine Gothic building style.
- Tian China: With the battle of Luang-Prabang successfully won we manage to repel Ayutthayan and Vietnamese forces from the area and break the siege of the city for our allies. From their, Prince Xuanye splits the army into two groups, one, the larger one, pursues the fleeing Ayutthayan and Champan forces to the border alongside the majority of the vengeful La Xang army, and forces them into a battle pinning them to a river so that they are forced to confront our forces and are unable to escape, in the hopes of capturing the leader of the Ayutthayan forces and destroying their army here, in order to force them to leave the war. The majority of our forces go with this group, meaning we continue to heavily outnumber the Thai forces facing us in this battle. This battle is personally led by the Prince, who is a skilled and experienced tactitian, in order to ensure its success personally. The rest of our forces pursue the Vietnamese armies to the border with the country, but stop their, and request to meet with a representitve of the Vietnamese emperor to make peace terms, as the Zhiyěmán Emperor desires to maintain the status quo with Vietnam, and is willing to forgive their transgressions if they agree to withdraw from the war and sign a ten year non aggression pact with both La Xang and The Celestial Empire (VIETNAM RESPONSE NEEDED). The migration of Han people from the eastern provinces and north into the depopulated regions of Henan and the Yangzte continues throughout this year. The emperor also begins looking for a wife for his favourite son and probable successor, Prince Shang, he most likely is going to go for a Chinese noble, but would be willing to consider offers from our allies if they are made (MOD OR PLAYER RESPONSE).
- Dai Viet: Dai Viet agrees to the non-aggression pact for ten years.
- Japanese Dip: The new emperor Yoshishege offers his younger sister Miyuki of the direct imperial line of the Yamato clan. Rulers of the land of the rising sun to be the wife to the Chinese empror. He cites her tutelage in administration and her stellar performance in the extremely complicated goings on of the Japanese court life.
- Tian Dip: The Emperor accepts this, and the wedding of Miyuki and Prince Shang is arranged to take place early next year.
- Hungary-Croatia: King Stephan VI, angered after the signing of the Treaty of Pest gathers an army of 25,000 to counter the new Wallachian army crossing into Moldova. Combined with the troops pacifying the region and extra 5,000 is added to the army to make the 30,000 troops defy to idiotic actions of the Wallachians. King Stephan VI demands the Wallachians return home or a state of war will once again exist between Hungary-Croatia and Wallachia (Wallach Response). Meanwhile, settlement in Moldova by ethnic Hungarians continues to be encouraged along with those of the nobility.
- Iréchecua Tzintzuntzáni: As the war has finally concluded, the time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines begins, expecting to be completed by 1370. Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. Having purged the followers of Izel and killed his first born, Cazonci Nalhen is visisted by the ever seductive Auicamine. Auicamine ponders whether Nalhen's existence, as a whole, is worth continuation, citing his lack of following up the terms of putting Tarasca into a state of perpetual expansion through war and violence. Nalhen begs Auicamine to give him time to foster the forces needed, to which Auicamine agrees on the grounds that her vision is parelled to the war diety Cuitzeo's, of which is to expand and perfect the Empire in hopes of further straying away from Curicaveri and Cuerauáperi's envision, albiet she wishes to see the entire state itself fall into nothingness. Auicamine finally accepts Nalhen's moment for breathe in the tumultuous, geo-political status of the state and its governing territory. However, she states that upon her return to Nalhen, war will be initiated out of his power if he wishes to compell her advances. Nalhen agrees, and Auicamine disappears in the forrest from which she came. As re-construction continues within the recently conquered territories, urbanization resumes for the time being. A southern Chichimecan warlord known as Yaluk meets with the followers of Izel, speaking with the Council of Huit'xi directly. It is at this point, according to the Text of Izel, that Yaluk would find solace in their religion, becoming a follower himself. With the Council of Huit'xi and the number of remaining followers noe having a warlord as a follower, Warlord Yaluk would allow their company within his tribal territory. It is at this point that the Text of Izel ends, and the beginning of the Text of Tepeu would begin, being named after the Council Buku, Tepeu, whom had been the primarily preacher to Yaluk. Although that reputation was important for the survival of Izel's faith at the time, Tepeu would also go on to develop the religion from its non-material origins to a way of life: the way for living within society, what morals and ethics would should use in critical situations, and a new method of worship that would become essential to the religion's later popularity. His ideas and theories in the religion would be stored through oral history, being transcribed in later decades. At the moment, however, the Council of Huit'xi would continue their preaching and spread their religion throughout the Chichimecan peoples, unknown to Cazonci Nalhen.
- Japanese Empire: The empire this year sees a slowdown in growth as war profiteering has not exactly taken to Japanese merchants who were more looking to sell more "civil" goods. This slowdown in civilian trade leads a small trade fleet to accompany a some small Chinese trade vessels which arrive in Luzon this year taking port and trading with the local kingdom. Information about the islands is paid for handsomely and the Japanese traders make clear effort to acquire maps as well hoping to get an extremely clear picture of the islands and its current political landscape. The expansion of settlements in Manchuria has also begun to take hold a little more prolifically with more farms and small towns beginning to dot the landscape running from Aimoi toward the north following a usual tribal route of travel which becomes known locally as the "great road." This does some good in securing and locking down more control over Japanese held Manchuria as the farms and towns have dotted up along this road. Aimoi also in the last few years has seen relatively high growth expanding to nearly 3,000 people and a bustling port as much trade runs through here to reach north-central and northern Japan in earnest with Trade guilds attempting to outcompete each other for the trade routes. Yet another trade route begins to open up in a more codified sense in the north as the influx of furs from the mainland of Siberia and Island of Sakhalin becomes a lucrative frontier prompting the Emperor to dispatch more capable garrison troops to lock down and develop the capabilities of the islands. The Kurils also sees heavier settlement as the closer islands now boast about 300-500 people a piece and the further islands have established a permanent civilian presence. Emperor Katsumoto this year in a solemn but honorable ceremony turns over control of the Empire and the Chrysanthemum throne to his son Yoshishege. Yoshishege immediately continues many of his father's policies and assumed leadership in a relatively seamless transition as many administrative duties had already been turned over to him in years prior. The shortage of gold specifically puts a strain on the currency of Japan which effectively causes high value in the gold Koban and the gold Ichububan. This is good in terms of trade abroad and some purchases but it induces an unwanted gold crunch on the economy which slows it down by a relatively decent amount forcing the previously lessened gold items tax to be harshened in an attempt to make up for the shortfalls. The only other catharsis for this, however, comes from the arrival of the small trade fleet returning from Luzon having trading with the Filipino kingdoms and secured a relatively high amount of gold from them. This prompts the new emperor to personally finance a large trade expedition to the Luzon kingdoms next year laden with high value trade goods specifically to attempt to secure a large influx of gold bullion from the kingdoms in order to try to end the gold crunch afflicting the nations currency system. He specifically avoids debasing the currency and decreasing the gold amount within the Koban coins hoping to find a decisive solution for this issue. The Kensei order having made a series of very public and very well approved moves now has a national following. In the decade since its founding The Order has managed to take unruly ronin out of the streets and bring them in touch with a spiritual peace and peace of mind not many look to achieve. Their outright superior swordsmanship coming from the Kensei Grandmaster have taken over the swordstyles of Japan with the relatively new Sapporo School of northern swordsmanship, the Niryu school of the Niryu clan, and the School of Susanoo taking its name from the Storm god. These styles and their sub-schools have begun to overtake the Ronin of Japan specifically of the Kensei orders and those unaffiliated with the official schools of the nobility of Japan. Their number now stands at nearly 1,000 and growing further as some cities opt to hire them specifically as deterrents to crime with their mere presence being enough to deter crime in entire towns and cities. Meanwhile, in Oda, a fateful prospector finds gold.. keeping its closely guarded secret as he trades in the gold at a local currency office for Koban.. He begins using his small fortune to set up a mine in secret only telling close friends and family offering to allow them to share in the wealth if only they keep the secret. Only time will tell how profitable the Iwami-Ginzan mine will become but this man believes his find could be significant.
- Nyazwe: The loyalist and rebel forces of the region under Chatunga and Wataida gather near the city of Malumba, where Wataida has spent significant time preparing for an expected return of loyalist forces to the region several years before. The city itself closes its gates to both sides, politely declining to allow its land to be used by either side out of concern for the civilians within, an act which is begrudgingly accepted by the opposing forces. Viewing the coming battle as the one to end the war, Chatunga and Wataida allow their men to rest for a few days ahead of the battle itself, while both take some time for themselves to plan out their tactics ahead of the battle. While surveying the terrain with his commanders to determine the best locations to station his men, Wataida finds Chatunga with his own commanders doing the same. Fearing that this may be the last time he sees his brother, with whom he spent so many years fighting alongside, an unarmed Wataida surprises his brother in the field to speak with him in person, a gesture which is returned by Chatunga. The two embrace the other and put aside their hatred for one another, and spend a few hours alone discussing the past and future events. The details of their discussion remain unknown as the two ordered their men to move away and give them privacy. Returning to their respective camps, the brothers rally their men for the battle. In what has now become the single-largest battle of the war, 23,700 loyalist troops confront 17,500 rebel troops outside of Malumba, and fall upon the other with every manner of brutality and barbarism known to the Shona people. Discipline among the ranks of both sides is barely maintained by their commanders, who have to drag some of their warriors back to their ranks to maintain the battle-lines of their units. Chatunga's numerical superiority is blunted by the larger number of cavalry boasted by Wataida, though the overall lack of manpower on the part of the latter prevents him from pushing forth with an outstanding victory. Ultimately, the day is decided by the charge of some four guruva of loyalist cavalry into the rear of the rebel lines, after the cavalry of the latter was pulled away by their attempt to break through the lines where Chatunga was located. The rebel lines are rolled up by the loyalists, whose numbers have finally begun to impact the flow of the battle, forcing the rebels' resolve the collapse and force them to retreat. The unfamiliarity both sides in using such vast numbers of men in a single pitched battle causes some of them to miscalculate the actual weight of numbers on their lines, and when the rebels begin to retreat, they find themselves trapped between two forces more than a dozen ranks deep on both ends. The defeated warriors panic and begin to force one another out of the way, climbing over other warriors and crushing one another in a terrified flight away from the victorious spears of the loyalists. Hundreds of rebel warriors are trampled to death by hardened loyalists and inexperienced rebel forces who had been drafted into the ranks by Wataida, and had no knowledge of a proper withdrawal from battle, leading to countless deaths in a wild retreat from the fight. Wataida for his part flees with the remains of his army to the Limpopo River, where he attempts to retreat across the river to the Nguni lands to the south, hoping to obtain refuge in the arms of his allies. However, many of his men still fearful of being slain at the hands of the loyalists closely pursuing them, jump into the river and attempt to swim across, rather than crossing over the shallow sections of the river. Several hundred more warriors perish under the strong currents of the river, and delay Wataida's crossing to the point where he can no longer evade the loyalist forces. In what becomes the true final battle of the war, Chatunga's forces surround and destroy the remaining rebel forces along the Limpopo River, which are at this point demoralized and shattered as a fighting force. Wataida is captured by a group of warriors as he attempts to escape to the south himself, and is brought before his brother in the aftermath of the battle. Showing him an undeserved degree of mercy and forgiveness, Chatunga does not have his brother executed for treason against the state, and instead has him stripped of all titles and privileges afford to his previous station within Nyazwe. His sentence is to be tried in Lusvingo and given his punishment by the body of the Hamadzese. At his trial, Wataida's crimes laid bare before the Hamadzese and the people in a public fashion, with witnesses and warriors giving their testimonies before the governing body. The warriors who had captured Wataida give their testimonies before the Hamadzese, revealing that they had captured him as he attempted to flee across the Limpopo by himself, abandoning his warriors as the battle still raged on. Wataida's cowardice disgusts the Hamadzese as well as the civilians watching the trial. Not only had Wataida abandoned his father on his deathbed, blaming him for the rebellion Wataida failed to prevent, but he sided with the Mutape clans, slaughtered their leaders, installed himself as their leader after posing as their ally, abandoned the men who pledged themselves to his cause, and then attempted to flee into the arms of the historical foes of the Shona people, the Nguni. With this knowledge revealed to the crowds, the rebel generals and the loyalists assembled begin to shout for Wataida's death, a punishment agreed upon unanimously by the Hamadzese. Chatunga, who had silently allowed this trial to proceed without interruption, declares that he will carry out the punishment personally. Taking his spear, Chatunga impales his brother with it before the people, and declares that the war between brothers is over.
- Latin Empire of Romania: Our troops - from the Hamidid beylik and amassed in Caria - march into Aydin, after the Emperor officially continues the holy war against them (ALGO, Please). The first battle is slated to be fought at Birgi, the Aydinid capital. Led by reinforcements who came prepared with siege equipment, who are in turn led by Pascal de Renoud, we attack the city's walls and prepared to burst into the city. Then, Prince Andrzej will lead a charge into the city proper. Domestically, trade and production continue to be major drivers of the Latin Romanian economy.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: Dai Viet outside the city of Luang Prabang are ordered to stand down and withdraw considering China's involvement in the war (Dai Viet is a tributary). With China's intervention preventing Dai Viet's expansion in the North, Dai Viet's remaining forces are released from service. The assimilation of southern Dai Viet still faces problems from unhappy locals over culture and governance. The situation starts to become less tense as the first adminstrators/officials native to the region are beginning to be put into postions across the region.To lighten up the burden on his officials in Southern Dai Viet, Emperor Chinh orders the emergency tax in the region to be lessened so as to not seem overbearing and cruel to the local populace. To speed along Southern Dai Viet's integration the Imperial government has started to encourage noble families from north and south to marry their children to one another in exchange for monetary compensation Emperor Chinh has the blacksmiths stop manufacturing arms for Dai Viet as an unsteady status quo settles into place. The laborers and slaves continue to work on expanding/improving the roads across Dai Viet by beginning to expand their size and utilize better buiilding materials. In an effort to improve communications across the Kingdom, the Emperor has decreed the establishment of the Imperial Courier Service which serves the nobles and imperial government exclusively. The Service utilizes multiple stops along a road with fresh horses and messengers at each stop in a bucket brigade sort of fashion as messages are passed off quickly at each stop. As the year continues, the Empress gives birth to a healthy baby boy by the name of Quan who is declared healthy by the physicians and named the Crown Prince for Dai Viet. The diplomats in the Kingdom of Champa are ordered to request that King Che Mo becomes tributary to Dai Viet (Mod Response): Emperor Chinh reaches out to the King of Ayutthaya and request for him to withdraw from Lan Xang and negotiatate a peace with China and Lan Xang considering the size of the army China is capable of fielding (Mod Response). The Empress gives birth to a healthy, baby boy by the name of Quan with the Imperial government giving tax breaks to the nobles and organize celebrations across the Kingdom in small towns to cities.
- Champa agrees to be a tributary of Dai Viet.
- Empire of Ethiopia: Ethiopian settlement of the conquered areas continues to cement Ethiopian dominance over the region. The regions of Axum, northern Somalia and the lands of the Shewa are heavily populated by members of the Chewa caste. The presence of the Chewa, as well as the burgeoning markets forming at the Chewa fortresses, draws many Ethiopian civilians to settle in the area as well. These markets, full of exotic goods, are closed to any non-Christians. Those who convert are allowed to visit the market. The roads in the conquered areas, being developed for some year now, are tentatively established. However, native Muslims traveling on the road are charged a toll for using them. Additionally, Monks of the Order of St. Anthony continue to spread throughout the conquered lands to establish monasteries and parishes, providing religious services for the locals there and helping to convert the Muslims. The Ministry of Trade agents based in Cairo and Alexandria as well as Ethiopian merchants in Egypt begin to relay reports of Christians trading in Egypt. These Christians are part of the lands known as Europe which the traveler Hendrickus Pisacus informed the Empire about. Hearing of these new Christians, the Emperor forms a massive diplomatic delegation, consisting of Imperial agents, military generals, and clergymen. This delegation intends to travel the lands of Europe and learn about the new Christian Kingdoms there.
The situation in Scandinavia gradually improves as Haakon II and VI regains full control over Sweden-Norway. King Valdemar IV, by his marriage alliance with Haakon, urges him to help stop the ongoing invasion of the Hanseatic League. Bridget of Sweden empathizes with Margaret, sill a child, being used as a pawn in the political situation. She writes a letter to the Pope, describing the marriage as "children playing with toys".
Some of the nobles in Norway who helped depose Magnus, however, instead want to enact revenge against Iceland, not only taking back the Islands of Orkney and Shetland, but pushing further to re-subjugate the former Norwegian colonies.
As the Turkic Beyliks fall into further disorder by the ongoing Holy Wars of the Latin Empire, the Byzantine Empire seizes the opportunity to expand further as well. The general Alexios Apokaukos proves to be a supremely effective commander, and begins to quickly subjugate parts of Saruhan, while the Latin Empire invades Aydin from the south.
Ottokar of Bohemia enters a prolonged illness, leading to a dispute between his two sons. The younger brother, Henry, plots to unseat his father and seize his inheritance over his older brother. In Prague, supporters of Henry proceed to purge out the supporters of Wenceslaus, and Prince Wenceslaus himself flees the city to Poland upon the advice of his father. Despite securing Prague, much of the military leadership refuse to accept the coup of Henry and flock to the support of Wenceslaus.
John of Valois, the former king of France dies in prison. His son, Count Charles of Valois, pursues his claim to be king instead of Victor. This is generally not supported, as Victor scores a decisive victory in securing the French claimant over the throne of Brittany, Charles of Blois.
Many tribal states in central Burma unite together into a single kingdom, known as the Ava Dynasty. They immediately become a regional rival to the power of the Ayutthaya Kingdom. The Thailand dynasty reaches out to negotiate a peace deal with Lan Xang.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: With the conflict with Lan Xang in the past, the Emperor has decided to turn his attention to matters at home starting with the violation of the slave codes where children are forced to work arduous jobs and slaves are treated inhumanely. To crackdown on this abuse of power which could potentially lead to a slave revolt, the Emperor has mandated that any agent of the government, official or otherwise, is bound by law to stop and apprehend the violator. The slaves who were victims of the violations would be given a small amount of money from the owner a means of apologies. Furthermore, there have been further additions to the Slave Codes with owners now required to feed the slaves to levels deemed appropriate to the slaves' age as well as allow slaves to go worship on every seventh day. The few remaining free, educated Nestorians and their families are brought into the Imperial Court on the orders of the Emperor to prevent the nobles from coming to view the Nestorian religion as inferior. The Emperor has ordered that laborers and slaves in the employ of the Imperial government to focus on roadbuilding or to offer a helping hand to villagers/farmers wherever they should see fit during the roadbuilding. The Emperor has also decided to offer wages to the Nestorian slaves to allow them to buy their freedom although the wages they receive pales in comparison to the pay for laborers. Furthermore, the Emperor has commissioned Buddhist temples in major cities across Dai Viet along with a few smaller and far less expensive ones for Nestorians to safely worship. The young prince Quan continues to grow at a healthy rate according to the Court Physicians and is carefully watched after by Buddhist monks to teach him humility at a young age. As the Kingdom recovers from the recent war, gladiator pits are opened up across the Kingdom as the soldiers return from war with fighting experience under their belt and fight in the pits for extra money. Furthermore, with the reopening of the pits, slaves are made to fight by their masters but this is quickly prevented by an Imperial order preventing slaves from entering the pits to fight without a special writ issued by a regional administrator. In southern Dai Viet, gold mines are placed under construction once more with the construction moving along quite nicely. Efforts are made by officials there, on the orders of the Emperor, to learn local culture to ensure that they can show respect and adhere to it. The Scarlet Dragons begin to takeover crucial spying jobs once entrusted to the Intelligence Minister due to the nature of the work. Shipbuilders are once more commissioned to produce and additional 50 ships (15 transport ships, five horse ships, 20 Fuchuan ships, five water tankers, five supply ships) which are expected to take up to five to six years with the use of Champa shipbuilders within Dai Viet and its new tributary of Champa (50 Fuchuan ships in current navy). To show his thanks for Che Mo's obedience, the Emperor dispatches gifts of incense, silk, and gold to Che Mo. The Emperor also orders the Minister of Intelligence to maintain a spy network in Champa so that any possible threats to Dai Viet can be monitored and documented. The combined navy of Dai Viet and Champa is ordered to be stocked with supplies and weapons in case their use should be needed against the large army in the East. Diplomatic envoys are ordered to contact the Khmer Empire and request military access to Khmer territory to be able to move troops through to Ayutthaya as news of a massive army begins to trickle in from the west (Mod Response). Traders/merchants in China are ordered to purchase gunpowder and gunpowder weapons from China for use by Dai Viet (China Response). Emperor Chinh begins to orders crackdowns on the administrators/officials across the Kingdom to root out corruption that has only grown rampant as the Kingdom's efforts have been focused elsewhere over the past few years. The Minister of Intelligence, Minister of Internal Security, and the Scarlet Dragons are given the authorization to launch a campaign arresting corrupt officials from across the Kingdom on charges of treason so long as they can provide evidence of the official/administrators corruption. The first batch of children from the Imperial Examination reforms by this point has reached the age of 17 and although suffering minor harassment from nobles, they remain safe under the Emperor's protection for the time being. To improve life around the Kingdom, the Emperor has ordered the Imperial government to begin sponsoring entertainment troupes, artists, sculptors, and architects to improve and spread Dai Viet's culture around the Kingdom. A scouting party is launched to observe and gather knowledge on the massive army that is moving toward Ayutthaya at an alarming pace.
- Khmer would only provide such access if the western invaders become more of an immediate threat.
- Empire of Ethiopia: As part of Ethiopia’s focus on its internal domestic issues, the Emperor Newaya Krestos decides to further improve upon the Imperial bureaucracy his father created. The Ethiopian Empire borrows administrative practices from the Rasulid Sultanate, and the Emperor implements some Yemeni practices. In order to improve the Ministry of War, the Emperor ends the practice of allowing the Minister of War to appoint low-level commanders, which has led to accusations of corruption and bribery. Instead the current Minister of War is removed from his position and a new one is appointed. The Emperor implements a system by which for every 1,000 Chewa families a sub-commander will be appointed, usually a soldier from the Chewa ranks themselves. The Emperor thus reserves the right to appoint an overall commander of the army as well as lower ranking commanders. The Minister of War’s role is restricted to arranging and organizing payment, supplies, and proper conscription. A member of the Ministry of War is sent to each Chewa fort to ensure the implementation of Imperial laws and to help organize the Chewa when the time comes to muster the troops. The administration of the Imperial cities is also reorganized. Each Imperial City will be appointed two members of the Ministry of Trade as well as two members of the Ministry of the Treasury. These five Imperial officials will form a smaller “Ruling Council” to administer each city and ensure the proper collection of taxes and tariffs. By now, the number of Imperial cities has grown to five, with their taxes and revenue under the exclusive control of the Emperor. Additionally, the Emperor uses the crown’s wealth to begin building magnificent Churches in each Imperial city as a sign of the monarchy’s devotion to Christ. The Empire also expands its mining operations, as well as digging irrigation ditches to help aid agriculture in the more arid regions. Meanwhile, the Ethiopian delegation to Europe reaches Egypt, carrying gifts of spices, ivory, gold, and a copy of the Kebra Nagast, a piece of literature which details the spiritual, religious and political history of Ethiopia in 117 chapters. The delegation attempts to arrange transport with Venetian traders to reach Europe. [VENETIAN RESPONSE NEEDED].
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The Sultan orders the expansion of the Navy mainly to protect merchants. The fleet is expanded to 60 small dhows (~100 ton) and 20 kotiyas (~250 ton). The reconstruction of the Ghazni fortress is started. The Eastern expedition begins with four tumen of light armored cavalry led by Feroze Khan thundering into the Arakan region overpowering the Arakan state, the cavalry is followed by two tumen of infantry and further move to siege Hanthawaddy, sacking all the cities that come in the way. (Hanthawaddy is the capital of Hanthawaddy Pegu). The armies use the Turkman style of warfare using cavalry heavy approach and there is also a limited use of firearms called the top-o-tufak (ALGO NEEDED). Meanwhile, to better ensure the uniformity of the administration, the Sultan upgrades the status of all feudatories as Iqtadars, and copper plate inscriptions are made describing the territories and revenue obligations of each iqtadar. However, this also changes the institution of the Iqta. The Iqta has now become hereditary. However, new Iqtas have not been awarded since the time of Alauddin Khilji, a practice that is now written into the Dustur. The Iqtadars also have to maintain a small army (the size of which is mentioned in the Copper plate inscription) which can be called up by the Sultan. The Indian mercantile community has grown spectacularly over the years specifically because of the peace and stability provided by the Sultanate, the postal services and the secure trade routes with its many serais. The Indian mercantile community has grown into several powerful guilds and many have developed into big companies in Gujarat and Sindh aided by the spread of Islamic capitalist concepts.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: As Nicholas Alexander in an issues development, Prince Nicholas Alexander decide to found an organization which is would developing in a way organize to payment to improve on the voidevode the council has a point of accusation which is bad the council implement some production from Byzantine we establish an office on Dobruj. Meanwhile, the Vlachs research a delegation to participate in a trade adventure the council has developed carrying food and such other heatlh stuff to survive it outsided of Balkan some Vlachs explorer start to trade with other nation and such route as well most of army across the kingdom developed cannon boat and the Vlachs write a piece of literature storie we head radu write or not the diploma andreanum so we reach some route that we can get contact in other nation to trade which is reponsing wallachia into a central role or something else the order send an expansion of boat to guide on that journey local sent by The Council of Bassarab.
- Nyazwe: Reviewing the aftermath of the civil war's impact, Chatunga embarks upon a period of extensive reforms from the top to the bottom of Nyazwe's government, military, economy, and society, hoping to prevent another massive conflict in the country for as long as he and his successors are able. During his time isolated from his men to help him focus on the events that would take place after the war, Chatunga wrote up a series of laws and edicts that would be used as the basis of giving the government its legitimacy and establishing which powers were assigned to which ministers within the government. Requests for local autonomy by the governors and the demands of the wealthy chieftains all influenced the decisions of Chatunga, who has determined that now is the time to reforge the state and deal with the old guard standing in the way of Nyazwe's future as a nation. These laws are collected into a single text known as the Mutemo, which provides in extensive detail the administrative organization of Nyazwe, as well as all of the political and clerical offices within the government. A guide on the salaries for all state positions and those of warriors based on rank and unit, are also provided within, along with a list of judicial punishments and crimes as outlined by Chatunga in painstaking detail. A body of judges is established to help interpret these laws, consisting of men thoroughly familiar with the ideals of Faraism, and committed to its promotion in Nyazwe. The laws themselves will be enforced by a body of former warriors known as the Mapurisa, marshals aside to all districts to keep an eye on governors and their fellow politicians, and bring them to justice should they overstep their station. Utilizing the voter requirements from the reign of Akashinga, all members of the electorate shall consist of all male citizens who either own at least fifty head of cattle, have personal wealth of one thousand fedha, or own more than a hundred square kilometers of arable land. All elections shall take place twice a decade, with all positions of power subjected to them. A two-tier administrative system is established, with the nation divided into districts (singular dunhu), which are then divided into municipalities (singular nharaunda). Local communities surrounding guta (urban centers) and bomas (rural kraals) will be governed by a chief elected by the same male property owners in line with the new laws passed by Chatunga. These chiefs will elect a mukuru who will preside over their municipality and be responsible for enacting the local policies of their governor across a specific number of settlements alloted to them by the state. All of the district governments are reorganized to provide a degree of local autonomy within the existing structure of the national government in Lusvingo. While all district governors will continue to be appointed by the Zvakane with the approval of the Hamadzese, their power will be restricted to executive functions. Copying the structure of the Hamadzese, every district will have a legislative and advisory body known as a gungano (or "assembly"), comprised of men of repute elected from their communities to help manage the needs of their area and voice their neighbors' concerns to the governor. The district's gungano will elect from among its numbers a kumeso, who speaks on behave of the body to the directly-appointed governor. Both men will work together to appoint a murevereri, or mediator, who works to balance out the concerns of the state and the district, as well as report on their actions to the Judiciary. Finally, the Hamadzese itself will continue to be elected by the various local communities of Nyazwe as the primary representative body to the Zvakane, and a check on his powers. In a major shift in the traditions of his people, and as a move to prevent another war such as the one that just ended, Chatunga announces that the Zvakane shall be appointed by the Hamadzese itself from among its ranks. Having lost his only brother, and his sons seeking to avoid the seat of power, Chatunga states that the state of his household prevents him from appointing an heir. The non-hereditary post of Zvakane shall change hands every five years, ensuring that no one man can hold absolute power for extended periods of time. Chatunga states that he will continue to serve in the position until death, but that once his time has passed, his successor will be subjected to the new laws agreed upon by the Hamadzese, finally bringing the post into compliance with Faraic principles. Chatunga places his law book before the Hamadzese for a vote, and - war-weary and ready for any change that will bring their homeland peace - unanimously vote to adopt the Mutemo as the basis of law throughout all of Nyazwe. With this vote, all of the hereditary positions of power have been upended by the slaughter of the chieftains by Wataida, and the reforms of Kutonga, Akashinga, and now Chatunga. If anything, the only hereditary roles left within Nyazwe are those remaining in the private lives of the people. As far as the state is now concerned, Nyazwe has no kings or princes, and with the destruction of its ruling dynasty, hopefully never will again.
- Papal States: Pope Nicholas V welcomes the representatives of Patriarch Theodosius II of Bulgaria. A building in Rome is give to them as an embassy. A Carmelite, Nicholas lives as a monk rather than a pope, doing fasts, mortifications and using his Carmelite habit. He is also seem in praying constantly. After having received the letter of Bridget of Sweden, the pope writes a letter to Margaret, saying that the Christ and His Holy Mother will confort her. The pontiff also asks a visit of Margaret to Rome, maybe she can find confort to her life by praying in the Basilicas of Rome [MOD response needed, please]. Due to the trainning offered by the military centers of the Papal States, the army now have 15,000 men. The Papal navy also increased with the ships produced in the shipyards of Civitavecchia and Ostia, now there is 12 Papal ships. The plans for the construction of the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory continues, the pope sends a letters to architects from Lotharingia, Flanders and Liege to come to Rome and build the Basilica in Brabantine gothic [MOD and Lotharingia response needed, please]. Saint Augustine's University now have in its curriculum medicine and astronomy. The Hospital of Rome offer the pratical part, while the University offer the theorical part. The Holy Father creates as cardinals Andrea della Torre (Padania) and John of Arkel (Liege). Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason incentives the blockprinting in the Papal States. Elena Cimorelli and the Beguines of Workers of Charity are able to buy a building in Ostia where they plan to make an orphanage. Her visions continue to happen and she continues to write them in her diary. The Coptic community living in the March of Ancona start to organize themselves. In their liturgy they continue to use the Coptic-rite, but it starts to show similarities with the Roman-rite. One of those is the chants, that are starting to have resemblance to the monophonic Gregorian chant. The leader of the Coptic priests is Youhanna Daoud. He and Pope Nicholas meet after the mass of the Day of Our Lady of Victory. There start a friendship between the two. The pope gives to the Coptics an abandoned church in Camerino, which is re-consecrated with the name of Church of Saint Mark.
- Margaret visits Rome for three months, accompanied by her friends Ingeborg and Catherine, immediately following her wedding to King Haakon
- Tian China: With the agreement of Vietnam to pull out of the war and sign a non-aggression pact with us amen La Xang, the status quo in that region is restored. This allows us to bring the rest of the split army to meet up with the rest of the army on the Ayattuhayan border, where General Xuanye is prepared to push the attack into Attayuhaya itself if they don’t agree to peace. However, the goal of this war has always been a defensive one, and thus Xuanye, who has been given permission to negotiate with Ayattuhaya to end the war by his father the emperor, is willing to be relatively light in his terms, offering peace in the Treaty of Chiang-Mai. In happier news, back in Luoyang, the wedding of Crown Prince Shang and Princess Miyuki of the Japanese Empire takes place in September of this year, sealing the alliance with Japan and ensuring closer ties with the island nation in the coming years, especially once Shang eventully becomes emperor. The princess announces she is pregnant two months latter, and thus their first child will be born next year. The migration of people from the more impoverished eastern and northern provinces into the formerly plague ravaged Henan and Yangzte regions also continues this year, as a baby boom in the area finally begins to show itself and speed up population growth hopefully to allow China to recover faster.
- Republic of Venice: Even though the Doge della Scala has presented himself as a harsh and brutal leader toward those who oppose him, he shows sympathy for the Cretan peasantry and cancels the extra war taxes, calls the criticised Signiori back to Venice and installs more measured men. A council will be called with three Venetian administrators and representatives of the Greek nobility and Church as ministers to administer the Island. This is the proposed new government of Crete. However, in return, the administration can conscript the Cretans for labour tasks (taxes would be cut for the conscript). (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). Ethiopian delegates, meanwhile, are welcomed with open arms in Chania on Crete, from where they are are travelling to Venice proper. News of the exotic travellers spreads like wildfire. They are even welcomed as high guests in the palace of the Doge, seeing the finest corners of the most serene of cities. The route Alexandria-Chania-Venice is proposed under joint Egyptian-Venetian protection, and the direct spice trade with Ethiopia is proposed to go over this route, from where Venice would distribute the goods to all of Europe (ETHIOPIA RESPONSE, PLEASE). Economic rebuilding is still undergoing in Northern Italy, while the army keeps to be in good shape to crack down on any possible separatist threat. As elite troops, the Corsican men have made themselves a name, to be effective especially in situations of sieging a city. Their ruthlessness has made them infamous, as well as their daring ambush tactics and skilled combat. But also the domestic soldiers and officers gained a lot of experience. The textile industry, glass and salt production and ship building gain a massive boost after political stability is restored and conscripts return home. Venice is also interested in rejoining the Turkish wars, and is waiting to help in Anatolia. (PAPACY/LATIN EMPIRE RESPONSE, PLEASE).
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V allows Venice to fight the Turkish if the Latin Empire also agree.
- The leaders of the Greek nobility at Saint Titus agree with Venice, although some minor unrest from peasants still remain.
- Ethiopian Dip: Ethiopia agrees to this trade proposal.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II celebrates the marriage of his 14-year-old son, Robert with the lovely maiden Naomh O Neill, aged 13 years old in a lavish banquet as the nobility of the entire nation is invited in the wedding in St Giles' Cathedral in Edinburgh. People cheer in the streets around the Cathedral as the heir emerges from the church with his new wife. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The construction of the new wider stone paved roads network last year, linking major towns around the nation results in tangible gains providing a surge in economic activity and trade all across the country. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II enforces his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also led to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks create some deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II steps in and enacts a royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as it's strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. An offer is made to the Crown of Aragon and Castile, the Hanseatic League, Sweden-Norway and France to facilitate trade between our nations. France is also requested to renew the Auld Alliance, while an alliance is also requested from Aragon-Castile. [Players Response]
- Sweden-Norway: King Haakon agrees to facilitate trade with Scotland.
- Sweden-Norway: King Haakon attempts to soothe the nobles wishing to invade Iceland, telling him that more pressing matters must be dealt with. In secrecy, he admits he has no wish to invade the island. Haakon acquiesces to King Valdemar's call for an invasion of the Hanseatic League. Combined and undivided, the Danish-Swedish-Norwegian forces number 20,400 in total. The Swedish and Norwegian portions of the army cross the Oresund and Skagerrak, and join up with the Danes in Jutland, where they march south toward the border with the Hanseatic League, waiting for a potential invasion. 85 ships are sent out to harrass and raid Hanseatic shipping, in an attempt to bring the League to heel, before any more blood can be spilled, All Hanseatic merchants are expelled, and outposts closed. Access to the North Sea from the Baltic is also blockaded for Hanseatic ships.
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council of the Confederacy pays close attention to the succession crisis in Bohemia, wondering what the Habsburgs will do given their earlier claims to the thrones of Bohemia and Poland. In the meantime, the military build-up in the eastern part of the nation continues, with aside from the base of operations Rapperswil the cities of St. Gallen, Lichtensteig and Glarus also being fortified. The government also focuses on sending envoys to rural towns to recruit peasants to be soldiers in the joint military of the Confederacy or mercenaries, as the chance of a war occurring to the east of the Confederacy seems high. Boatbuilding in Rorschach in the Canton of St. Gallen continues, with boats visiting the various cities along the shore of Lake Constance. One thing this venture discovers is that Frederick Capet (b. 1313), the brother of King Victor of France who withdrew to become a Cistercian monk after accidentally killing his father and ended up in Salem, has now become the Abbot of Salem. This piques the interest of Ulrich VI von Lenzburg, and he sends out some envoys of the House of Lenzburg along with the Abbot of Saint Gall Georg of Wildenstein via Rorschach to the Abbey of Salem, suggesting that the abbey join the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of Salem (with domestic autonomy similar to Engelberg and St. Gallen) for the benefit of greater interaction with the Confederacy’s bishoprics and abbeys and the joint defence of the Confederacy. (Mod or papal response) The Head Priest of the Western Church in Unterwalden, Martin Etcheverry, writes a letter to Pope Nicholas V asking him to investigate an apparent miracle that occurred in Unterwalden where a blind Basque immigrant regained his vision after praying for the mediation of Federico Goikoetxea. (Papal response) The Bern Library completes their copy of the Codex Manesse, the fourth instance of this manuscript. In Chur, some town guards and local traders complain of getting less funding than usual from the Bishop of Chur Peter Gelyto, raising the attention of Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg sends an envoy to Count Amadeus III of Geneva, proposing a marriage between Amadeus III’s son Peter (b. ~1340) and Ulrich VI’s daughter Johanna (b. 1347). (Mod response) In Lenzburg Castle, Gottfried von Lenzburg and Margaret Capet have a daughter named Anna (b. 1364), their first child after their son Wilhelm II (1357-1359) tragically died. Later in the year, Wilhelm I von Lenzburg (1316-1364), brother of Ulrich VI and father of Ida and Gottfried, dies from a wound infection; Ulrich VI builds a tomb for him at Lenzburg Castle.
- The Count agrees.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V sends a commission to investigate the miracle. The pope allows that the Canton of Salem be part of the Swiss Confederacy.
- Iceland: Lúðvík Tristansson is made Archbishop of Iceland. Trade is more encouraged internally.
- Poland-Lithuania: Angered by the disloyalty of Henry toward his father and toward his elder brother and the heir to Bohemia. Stanislaw I privately makes it clear to his advisors and the Sejm preserving the close ties with Bohemian throne is key to ensuring Political and economic stability. He calls on the levies of Poland and Lithuania along with mustering his Pancerny which will be split into two forces one to assist Wenceslaus in securing Prague next year while the other force will remain on the eastern frontier to prevent any possible Rus' incursions. Siege equipment is prepared. Trade in the Trans-Carpathian region continues to grow steadily recovering with Krakow at its core, efforts to improve roads connecting Krakow-Lwow, and Lubin continuous as does connecting Polotsk to Vilnius then to Warsawa. The port of Gdansk begins receiving larger funding to expand to improve the flow of goods from the vistula into the Baltic.
- Kingdom of Eiru: There continues to be a low level of central authority as individual Kings largely run their own affairs. This year piracy out of Desmond grows as Óengus Feidlimid, Dubhghall Aengus and Sigsteinn Alfarr work together to launch a series of raids are on Irish coastal villages working their way around the country as the low level tribal warfare between the various Kings returns. Their main gains are slaves who are then sold on back into Ireland. They then separate and return grabbing ships of various nationalities in the Celtic Sea which are then normally taken onto their destination for sale of their goods. The pirates share out the rewards amongst the crew making joining them popular. Their reputation remains small but their success allows them to recruit more and increase the number of ships they have. The pirates operate out of double decked small galleys giving them a high manoeuvrability and not relying on the wind.
- Hanseatic League: As the Hanseatic League continues to fortify Aalborg, supply depots are established in and around the area. News of the Swedish-Norwegian declaration of war reaches Lübeck this year, provoking the ire of the various Bürgermeisters of the Hanseatic League. Across the board, Swedish merchants are expelled from Hanseatic cities. Trade with Sweden is put on hold, starving it of Baltic trade. Sweden is now deprived of Germanic trade, its access to the salt trade is now crippled, and its ability to feed its people will soon suffer. The Hanseatic League pushes another 20 cogs out to reinforce the blockade of the Kattegat. Shortly thereafter, the Swedish navy attempts to challenge the Hanseatic blockade. The Swedes have landed in Jutland, likely placing them north of Aalborg. The Hansa prepares its defense at Aalborg, preparing for the Swedes to make their crossing at Limfjord. 8,000 are left in Aalborg as 15,000 cross the Limfjord to the west and push east. As they approach the Swedes, another army 15,000 strong approaches from the south, pinning the Swedish-Norwegian navy to the coast. Assuming the Hanseatic Navy wins the battle in the Baltic, the blockade will hamper the Swedish forces even further. The Hanseatic League calls on the Holy Roman Emperor to help defend its trading interests in the Baltic.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": The Order of Bari, gets news of the actions of Hendrickus Pisacus deeds far away in the southern most point of the Berber world. The priests condemming Pisacus for not following the true faith, and even converting to the heritics of Islam. the Head priest of the Churchly order Conrad von Drunen even having a hearth attack after hearing this news and dying due to it. The council of monks electing Adriaen Wever as the new head master of the Order, Becoming Headmaster Adrianus of Karphatos. Karphatos becoming the hereditary title for all headmasters of the order, Conrad being one of the longest living ever priests in the Catholic world. Conrad heaving died at the age of 81 having served from 1336 to 1364, his being quite old even for a man of God. Some calling this as proof for the existance of the order, as God has given him the ability to get older then most men on earth. سيدي إرميا الهلشتية (sydy ermya alhlshtyh) and his Explorrers, giving his state name once after a year of not able to find geographic names. The صحراء السيدينية (shra' alsydynyh) being founded a state based on his Homeland of Lotharingia, with law and Islam being the most important aspect of the state. While in Lotharingia some of the Best architects of the nation, on request of the Papacy go to Papal states. These architects being wanted by the papacy and other orginasations due to their specific style of the Gothic style building. One of the most famous buildings in the Brabantine Gothic being the saint-rombouts church in the Capital city of Mechelen. Lotharingia now having some issue's with empty buildings mostly in cities, as the inhabitants have often died of the plague. So architects have a lot of work looking if some buildings are still fully usable, or need to be broken down and used for their resources. One house that has not been Empty is that of Hendrick und Familien Compagnie the family company which was founded by Hendrickus, and then taken over by his family once he left. The Company even Renaming to Messenkempher compagnie, this being a straight reference to their town from which they come from. As Pisacus's conversion has left a bad taste in the mouths of the Public. The company loses a lot of customers due to the Fiasco related to Pisacus, as some people consider other more local and more openly Christian familiy buisnesses. While as result of the the Greta war with Poseidon, the Lotharingian King and Emperor begins to think. Thinking about the possibilty to have the Empire strong enough to fight him. The emperor wanting a Imperial navy able to defend Imperial trade and coasts, and this all funded by the Members of the Empire. With Loyalty during peacetime to the Member states and during war to an Admiral apointed by the Sacred Roman emperor.
- Hungary-Croatia: King Stephan VI returns home with the troops after the Wallachian withdraw. Further Hungarian emigration is encouraged in Transylvania and Moldova. Use of the Hungarian language is encouraged in Transylvania and Croatia. However, in Croatia, it is encouraged to take pride in the Croatian culture, language, and pride within the Kingdom. Trade in the Mediterranean continues. (Secret) The King dispatches an envoy to the Papal States to form an alliance in the event of war with Venice (Papal Response).
- Latin Empire of Romania: This year is marked by the culmination of the war in Anatolia, with a battle being held in the plain that lies between Birgi and the other major Aydinid city of Selçuk. The battle, which falls in the plains alongside the Meander River (OTL Büyük Menderes River) is fought between the recently-defeated and retreating Aydinid troops (number approximately 3,000) and the 17,000 Latin Romanian men who remain in Anatolia. Under the leadership of Prince Andrzej, the cavalry harrass the remaining Aydinids - demoralizing their smaller numbers - until they finally confront the advancing Latin troops. Then, we pin the Aydinids to the Meander River, and proceed to devastate their numbers - seeking a complete and total victory with the complete defeat of the Aydinid forces (ALGO, please). We hear news of Byzantine General Apokaukos's advances against Saruhan, and a diplomatic good face is put forward - but to ensure the protection of the Latin outpost at Smyrna (OTL Izmir) our men - after defeating Aydin - travel north to enter the city, which is under the Latin League's flag. It is then given the "opportunity" and "choice" to become a part of the Latin Empire, which is all but a foregone conclusion, especially given our military presence within the city (MOD response). Finally, this year - pursuant to the earlier agreement with Byzantine Emperor John V Palaiologos, Irene Palaiologina - his daughter - is married to Prince Richard de la Roche, in Corinth. A festive celebration takes place at the wedding feast, with some prominent Byzantine nobles invited. In other diplomatic news, Patriarch Gaspar of Thessalonica hears of the sad news of the Order of Bari's headmaster, and sends his condolences to Karpathos.
- The city of Smyrna welcomes the Latin Empire to assume control.
- Kingdom of Padinia: The Kingdom of Padinia begins to feel more normal and Cassono and his wife havetheir third child and first son, Alfonoso. Tuscany enters an age of many discoveries in Mathematics, with Paolo Dagomari di Prato continuing his work with equations and holding council with over 600 pupils this year alone. He also works with multiple different Priories in attempts to further spread his understanding of equations. In the Art realm a grim tone has been made and stuck for a long time following the challenging events. With some depicting Satan with a scythe reaping rows of heads on the battlefield. Others show god dropping poison into the drinks of Human beings with rows of dead behind him. In the Music realm no big advancements are made other than it hits a similar low depressing note to that of Art.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: As the war has finally concluded, the time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines begins, expecting to be completed by 1370. Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. Cazonci Nalhen seeks an audience with the Cazonci's of the Toltec States, demanding that for wars like this, a permanent military system must be developed between all members, transitioning the alliance into a fully functioning co-operative military system. With this, the Tarascan Empire is able to expand its sphere of hegemony to all corners of the Huastec kingdoms as the Toltec Court of Representatives is founded. The alliance remains in the form of a loose confederation, however, the Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Purepecha-Nahuatl. In Chichimeca, the warlord Yaluk meets casually with Tepeu, discussing the religion and its place within the greater community. Yaluk asks Tepeu whether the use of faith can be used for a purpose of violence, something Izel himself was against. After some hesitation, Tepeu agrees that, much like the balance of good and bad, there is a balance of peace and violence, stating that "to avoid conflict would be to avoid peace itself," referencing Izel's martyring as a means to an end for the eternal continuation of the faith. The Council of Huit'xi, together with Yaluk, construct the first church. Although the faith had been originally known as Xiti'ism and later Huit'zi'lichial, Tepeu ponders whether those names are elder in their creation, feeling a need to modernize the principles taught by Izel for the new Chichimecan followers as well as rename the religion, based on the new moons that set on the horizon. The faith of Izel becomes officially known as Teōmaticolli ("Internal Faith"), with its followers becoming known as Yauhētl. Sometime this year, Yaluk offers his eldest daughter Iuizoh to the Tepeu for the purpose of intertwining Teōmaticolli and the Council of Huit'xi with Yaluk's state. Tepeu accepts, and later in the year, Iuizoh gives birth to their child, Iuihua.
The ongoing conflict in Jutland combined with the recent flooding across the North Sea causes severe disruption of trade across the entire Baltic Sea. The Prince of Novgorod offers to mediate a peace deal between the Hanseatic League and the House of Bjelbo, as a neuteral party.
Bohemia falls into civil war between the rival brothers of the Premyslid Dynasty, Henry and Wenceslas. Henry usurps the crown as King Henry II in Prague and seizes control over most of the nation, while the majority of the military defects to follow Wenceslas who invades from his exile in Poland. The former King Ottokar III dies of old age at this point. Duke Rudolf IV of Austria takes the opportunity of pushing a Habsburg claim to Bohemia, sending his brother Albert the Cross-Dresser at the head of a large army. However, the Czech nobles are aware that King Stephen VI of Hungary has a better claim instead.
Alexios Apokaukos completes his campaign to secure control over Saruhan. Emperor John V, asserting further control over the Byzantine Themes of the Ionoian coast, strongly suggests that the Latin Empire agrees to a joint protection over the city of Smyrna, while the actual administration of the city falls to Romania. The collapse of local governments from the Turkish Beyliks causes general confusion and unrest in the far eastern portions of these recently-conquered territories, for both Empires.
Seeing their missions to protect the Aegean Sea are largely complete, King Peter I of Cyprus represents the Latin League to petition the Pope, asking to bless a crusade to attack the Egyptian city of Alexandria. Egypt had been facing a period of general isolation at this point, only trading with Venice and the Coptic nations to the south, as a result of losing Palestine to the stagnating Abbasid Caliphate.
The Javanese poet Mpu Prapanca completes an epic poem called the Nagarakretagama, detailing the life and conquests of Hayam Wuruk over eastern Indonesia.
The University of Vienna is founded by the Hapsburg dynasty.
- Mali Empire: The navy begins to see great expansion of its trade along the uncharted coastlines of the Alantic, now basing small cogs off both Dakar, Koya, and Nkore continue to be constructed. The exact shipping technology for this small navy have been imported from Spain, although its kept very limited due to Mali's greater needs and interest focused on land. To that end, the land military adds a couple more cannons to the army, mostly to replace older cannons that have gone out of use. Manding colonization of recently acquired territories are heavily focused on, specifically to institute the schools and public education system that was developed over the time of Mansa Musa. This education system heavily focused on the new Yuniyyah Islam, as a base philosophy, on top of standard mathematics and theology. This Manding colonization also came with the Mande secret societies, as has been focused in the traditional territories in Nigeria and Kanem. This has left the recent territories in Wydah and Jabal Asada as very rural, frontier regions. The University of Timbuktu in the far north, however, is a world away at the center of one of the most developed cities in the world. The great mathematician Ibn Ishaq flourished at this time, and helped pave the way for later developments of mathematics and engineering for later generations. He started out as working heavily in the field of architecture, helping to design the grand mosuqes in Timbuktu in the new Sahelian Gothic style. In his own published work, Ishaq mostly worked in translating and commentating on earlier Greek and Latin works, partuclarly Euclid's Elements, and the works of Archimedes and Hypatia. Some of his own works that have suvived the centuries are On Music and Geometry of a Sphere. He also wrote commentaries on Avicenna and Al-Kindi, translated directly to Mandike. Traditional Sunni Islamic communities still resist the conversion of society over to Yunniyyah Islam, mostly holding out in the lands of Kanem or Agadez. Following the cultural and artistic innovations of the Yuniyyah scholars, some smaller shifts appear in the fields of sculpture work and music in Timbuktu as well.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: As news of the sudden withdrawal of the massive army in Pegu makes its way to the ears of the Emperor, orders are given across the Kingdom and to its allies to stand down as the threat has abated. With the roads having finally reached completion across northern Dai Viet, the laborers and slaves assigned to the project are tasked with improving the existing irrigation system utilizing creative techniques observed in China along with the use of educated officials to plan out the new irrigation systems in mind to support a bountiful surplus in food for the Kingdom for the coming years. In an effort to establish a uniform writing system across the Kingdom, the Imperial government has been ordered to shift its use of Chu Han to Chu Nom while encouraging nobles across the Kingdom to begin using Chu Nom. To further establish professionalism in the governement, the standardization of units of measurement have been ordered implemented across the Kingdomm in all official documents and actions. The Dai Viet royal navy has also been ordered to begin patrolling the coast of both Dai Viet and Champa in search of pirates and possibly bandits while protecting incoming trade for both Kingdoms. Efforts made by the Scarlet Dragons and Minister of Intelligence have unveiled a scheming portion of the Imperial Court that desires to influence the young Prince Quan forcing the Emperor to order his son, wife, and an escort of Scarlet Dragons to move toward a residence owned by the Tran family outside of Hanoi and in the countryside while staying inconspicous. Southern Dai Viet has also presented some minor problems as of late with local nobles not content with the loss of power and culture as Dai Viet continously expands. The Emperor has instructed local officials and administrators to be vigilant for any potential uprisings in the South with further instructions requiring them to begin laying out and identifying key resources and assets for Dai Viet to protect in the event of an uprsiing in the South. The maritime construction of 50 additional ships (15 transport ships, five horse ships, 20 Fuchuan ships, five water tankers, five supply ships) has yielded 12 ships this year due to the skills of Champa shipbuilders. Orders are given to General Kiều Sơn Hà and the Minister of War to begin drafting out plans for an invasion of the Khmer Empire, who the Emperor considers the last major opponent to Dai Viet in the region. Trade has slowly yet steadily have begun to return to Dai Viet after three years of peace for the Kingdom leading to the growth and development of towns and cities across Dai Viet as marketplaces start to thrive once more.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: A member of the pharaniots as been come, in wallachia the noblemen of Nicholas welcomed it as a result of trade they're requesting to conquer the mountain of Bukovina on the northen slopes we set up with an army of 20,000 Soldier and include byzantines warrior made by the Pharaniots in first person place well, the navy boat are being well establish they're patrolling a portion of trade as establish almost they paying in an organized way extremly's developed the developement of the voidevode cause a problem half on the north of wallachia which is disputing has also ordered that the noblemen's family of Prince Nicholas has instructed office byzantin in the mainland of Romanian and Dobruj. The voidevode is going to fix of what's happening in the north territorial of that disputing a key resource has been upmade for any problem toward the north as well Nicholas insist to protect the north with a construction of ten ships, cannon boats, siege boat and many of kind of organized boat that we establish the pharaniot's family visting a tea discusion with them on the House of Bassarab's local home most of development are well fixed and organized such as thing to put on it with simple buidter and trade a call of an invader region on western's Romania called the Vidinite invade the border at a siege on it the Vlachs army use 10,000 soldiers to push it down remaining against them to invade our territorial's between Bulgaria and Wallachia.
- Sweden-Norway: The remaining troops remain on the eastern coast of Jutland, their mission being not to give a single inch to the invaders, makeshift fortifications are quickly constructed on the Islands of Funen and Zealand in wait for potential naval flanking invasions, and Cheval de frise (spears and spikes) are installed close to the shorelines and beaches, to hamper any ships attempting to land. King Haakon says he is prepared to negotiate peace through the Prince of Novgorod, but that it would entail the Hansa withdrawing from Jutland, in exchange for Hanseatic merchants being able to pass through the Oresund and Kattegat without harrasment or tolls in the future, although Haakon expresses his pessimism to advisors. The King also gives the order for 55 ships to be constructed in secrecy in Bergen in Norway. To build these ships, more lumberjacks are sent to regions like Norrland and Dalarna, where trees are more abundant. Haakon orders even more levies to be raised, many coming from more remote regions like Finland, untouched by plague or war, by the end of the year Haakon has raised 3,000 new troops, but keeps them in a separate from his main army, as he wishes them to serve as his reserve. No offences are attempted this year.
- Nyazwe: Further reforms are introduced by Chatunga to further lock down the new government system in the country, with all of the districts receiving new judges as selected by him and approved by the Hamadzese, who begin to take up cases with the local populations of their jurisdictions in line with the edicts permitted to their stations. The Mapurisa are dispatched by these judges to enforce the new laws of the state, as well as track down any and all traitors who have refused to bow to the authority of Lusvingo following the civil war. Recruited from the ranks of the Maziso Ake and Vakadanwa, the marshals of the Mapurisa aggressively hunt down and capture these individuals to return them to a court for trial. They are given icons to reflect their station to citizens, permitting them to demand aid and lodging, and helping to ensure that they receive all of the resources necessary to accomplish their missions. The first elections for the Hamadzese are held in middle of the year, with the communities of Nyazwe electing men to seat in their local district gungano assemblies, as well as for those men who will go to the Hamadzese on behalf of their nharaunda. Many of the representatives who remained loyal to Chatunga and the loyalist government during the Kaka War retain their seats, while those who questioned Chatunga's legitimacy as Zvakane are ostracized and expelled from public office. In the end, 90 representatives are sent to Lusvingo from all across Nyazwe in the first official seating of the body under the new system. In his address to the Hamadzese, Chatunga lays out his vision for the future of the state, as well as his plans to reunite with the north, and continue promoting the Faraic ideology across the continent to bring all Africans into civil compliance under Nyazwe's leadership. The state of Nyazwe following the civil war is explained in detail to the members of the Hamadzese, who have so far not been informed of the true state of the nation and its economic standing. Thus far, the population of Nyazwe stood at 2,350,300 inhabitants, with tens of thousands death, and more than a million people residing in the lands south of the Limpopo under Nguni control. The budget for the state is released by the Ministry of Means, with 1,204,475 gold dhahabu collected, with 47 percent of the population (up from 36 percent being delinquent on their taxes due to the disruption in services by the civil war. To remedy the budgetary shortfalls, the ministry has slashed infrastructure spending from 314,005 dhahabu to 75,000 dhahabu, while stockpiling of a reserve of money into the treasury has been cut from 306,175 dhahabu to just 100,000 dhahabu. All other government ministries will continue to operate at full capacity, though the Ministry of Land and Ministry of Means have been forced to take budget cuts. Soldiers' salaries have been reduced by 34 percent to help make up for the extensive loss in revenue by the state, but is compensated with rice and wheat allowances from the strategic quota reserves held by the state as a long-standing policy of Nyazwe. The soldiers accept these changes with the urging and assurances of their respective ishe, who themselves agree to the wage cuts. Chatunga announces that the budget for the military takes into account the planned expansion of the army and navy in line with future plans for defense, but that the existing size of the military falls well short of the 35,250 warriors planned for fielding by the government. Thus far, while the war was destructive in its own right, the scale of the destruction was limited to a handful of cities along the Limpopo River, while other major urban centers such as Lusvingo, Tsindi, Khami, and the two port cities of Nyazwe, remained untouched by the fighting. Thanks to the efforts of Munashe during the civil war, trade with the outside world remains unencumbered, and the Shona merchants have been able to expand their businesses without worry of changing trade routes. The merchant fleet and navy of Nyazwe were spared much of the fighting, and continue to operate out of their home ports. With these developments now understood by the Hamadzese, they begin to draft policies that will assist Nyazwe in reclaiming the south. At the Zvakane's direction, the Maziso Ake begin to infiltrate the cities of Akashinga, Tsime, Mokopane, Mbabane, Mauya, and Maseru south of the Limpopo River, and begin collecting information for Lusvingo on the state of affairs in the region ahead of their goal to bring the south back into the grasp of Nyazwe. In the west, on a far more positive note, development of the new western territories has managed to continue without interference from the past fighting in the east. Migration out west to the settlements of Maun and Gantsi continue, with settlers moving to the virgin lands of Namibia where the security of the land and abundant resources attract hundreds to the region. Continued development of Katima Mulilo even during the civil war has since it grow into a population of some 5,000 inhabitants, while the trade across the Zambezi River has allowed it to establish itself into a prime node on the westward trade routes. To the far west at the extreme end of Nyazwe's control, Nzou Inogara (OTL Gobabis) has remained a bastion of civilization in the arid lands surrounding it. While home to no more than 1,500 inhabitants, many of whom are warriors of the local garrison, Nzou Inogara is thriving as a source of ivory for the east. The abundant freshwater supply of the settlement also makes it a good source of peaceful trade with the few San people left in the region, who trade various items and even slaves for the food and water available to the more numerous Shona settlers.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The Sultan’s Guards organization is further strengthened. Recruitment is extended to the tribes in Pashtunistan and Kabulistan from being limited to the Marathas. Three tumen of troops (two tumen cavalry and one tumen infantry) remain in the Arakan region and set up three garrison towns (Sharfabad, Usmanpur and Hamidpur). The rest return to Delhi with a great amount of loot that is presented to the Sultan. The Sultan thanks his elder brother and in a first in more than six decades, awards his brother the Iqta of Arakan.
- Poland-Lithuania: Stanislaw I decides to operate from Wroclaw leaving the 18,000 forces to the direct command of his brother Kestusis and his son Vladimir. The army is tasked with attacking the Hapsburg forces crossing into Bohemia to prevent them from attacking the forces of Wenceslaus IV to allow them to set up a seige of Prague, A request made for the Wenceslaus's forces to provide 5,000 worth of infantry to assist in the battle against the hapsburgs and provide full support should it be required acting as a reserve and promises to provide full assistance in the siege of Prague after promising to allow the bohemians to enter the city first and by themselves should the desire as a sign of good faith between Poland and Bohemia. The Pancerny engage the Austrian forces in a brief string of skirmishes by attacking their supplies and back area while the Polish and Bohemian (if they send support) Infantry form for battle ready to engage the advancing Hapsburg forces while the Pancerny attack the flanks and disperse upn attempts by the austrian heavy forces. Polish corssbowmen and pikes hold against Austrian forces. A secret envoy is sent to Hungary offering cooperation against the hapsburgs who represent a threat to both Hungary Polish Interests (Hungarian Response, Please)
- Hungary-Croatia: King Stephan VI accepts the polish alliance and gathers his army of 25,000 to invade Austria and stop the Hapsburgs from taking Bohemia. Stephan VI claims Bohemia for himself. With the War of Bohemian Succession starting the Moldovan territories are clamped down upon to prevent another rebellion. Wallachia is warned of total destruction and the Prince removed from his throne should they interfere with Hungary again. A second Hungarian army of 15,000 is raised to march through Northern Austria and intro Bohemia itself to represent Stephan's claim and assist the Polish forces. Construction of the Visegrad castle begins as the Bishop of Pecs founds the university of Pecs in Southern Hungary.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II reopens the Parliament of Scotland now that the country has been liberated and rebuild, reaffirming the extension of voting franchise to knights, freeholders and burgh commissioners. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The Isle of Mann is also fortified further, with an expansion of the castle walls, as taller and thicker walls take the place of the former meagre castle walls, the keep is expanded to accomodate substabtially more people and ditches are dug deeper, wider and filed with sea water for both Peel Castle and Castle Rushen in accordance with its immense strategic value of the island, as it controls access to the Irish Sea. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II enforces his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also lead to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. An offer is made to the Holy Roman Emperor and ruler of Lotharingia to facilitate trade between our nations as well as to form an alliance between our nations. [Players Response]
- Papal States: Pope Nicholas V welcomes the architects from Lotharingia in Rome. They make plans for the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory, wich are presented to the pope. After Nicholas has given his approval, the construction begins. The commission that investigated the miracle attributed to Patriarch Frederico Goikoetxea comes to the conclusion that it was true. Then the pontiff declares Patriarch Goikoetxea as Blessed. Nicholas also declares Peter Lombard, Margareta Ebner and Gertrude van der Oosten as Servants of God. The pope writes to Bridget of Sweden asking for her to visit Rome to create a convent of Bridgettines nuns there [MOD response needed, please]. He also gives approval to her order and to the Beguines of Northern Europe. The Coptic community living in the Papal States continues to flourish in the province of the March of Ancona. There is 300 Coptic-Christians living there, with 20 being priests. They work in farms and as artisans. Some Coptic Churches are build in Loreto, Fermo and Macerata. With the blessings of Nicholas V, the Coptic priests sends a petition to the pope of Alexandria asking to create Youhanna Daoud as Coptic bishop of Camerino [MOD response needed, please]. Elena Cimorelli and the Beguines of the Workers of Charity open their Orphanage in Ostia. Giorgio Cassani and the male members of the Workers of Charity start to produce bread to be given to the poor. To sustain themselves and their works of Charity, both communities start to produce and sell textile products. The pope writes to king Peter I of Cyprus asking if he thinks that is wise to attack Egypt now and if the Latin League have the resources to do it. He allows that the Latin League attack Egypt after a careful planning of this. However, he says that the Christians in Egypt, Latin, Coptics and Greek must be protected. If they are harmed, the guilty will be excommunicated [MOD response needed, please].
- Bridget of Sweden agrees.
- Abba Yoannis Asherah agrees.
- Iceland: The population rises to a 31.500 count. Parliament allows unmarried women over 25 age to vote. A statue is built in front of the Grand Cathedral of Ari Guðmundsson. The government put more focus on fishing rather than farming.
- Swiss Confederacy: As war breaks out in Bohemia, the Central Council of the Confederacy publicly declares their support of Wenceslas to be King of Bohemia and sends an envoy to Poland-Lithuania, offering them the use of 5,000 Swiss mercenaries to help put Wenceslas on the throne. (Poland-Lithuania response) Additionally, the Central Council sends an envoy to Stephen II of Wittelsbach, the Duke of Lower Bavaria who has been in a political alliance with the Confederacy since they helped him gain independence from his disgraced brother Louis V in 1343; the envoy urges Stephen II to invade Austria while the Habsburg forces are in Bohemia, to help prevent the Austrians from gaining the Bohemian throne and thus more power in the region, and generally to strike a major blow against the Habsburgs who are mutual enemies of the Confederacy and the Wittelsbachs. (Mod response) As Habsburg forces are occupied with invading Bohemia, the Central Council also sees this as an opportunity to strike at the Habsburg vassals surrounding the Swiss Confederacy and in the process also potentially create a path for the joint military of the Confederacy to help Bavaria invade Austria, and so they decide to put into action the military build-up that has been ongoing for the past few years in the east of the nation. The Central Council declares that Count John of Werdenberg-Sargans is destabilising the region because of his financial incompetence and is thus unfit to rule, and sends him an ultimatum: he must abdicate and allow his territories to join the Confederacy as the Canton of Sargans (which would comprise Sargans proper, Pfäfers, Vaduz, Sonnenberg and Blumenegg) ruled by an elected burgomaster, or face military invasion by the Confederacy’s joint military. (Mod response) In the meantime, the marriage of Peter of Geneva and Johanna von Lenzburg is celebrated in Sion Cathedral, and Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli uses this opportunity to suggest to Count Amadeus III of Geneva a political alliance between the Swiss Confederacy and the County of Geneva in light of the marriage. (Mod response) Bishop of Basel Johann II von Munsingen dies and is replaced by Jean III de Vienne as rebuilding continues in the Cantons of Basel-City and Basel-Bishopric, although some semblance of the city is starting to come back together after the devastating 1356 earthquake. As Munsingen was a cardinal, the Central Council sends an envoy to Pope Nicholas V asking for de Vienne or Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli to be created cardinal as his replacement. (Papal response) In Lucerne, the Beguines begin building a Beguinage on the land granted to them by the Central Council. The military build-up in the Cantons of Chur, Glarus, Toggenburg and St. Gallen continues as the joint military prepares to march east. Domestically, the government works on increasing the production of weapons for the military because of the impending involvement in the Bohemian war.
- Count Amadaeus agrees to an alliance.
- Count John of Werdenburg refuses.
- Swiss Diplomacy: As Count John of Werdenberg-Sargans refused the ultimatum, the Swiss Confederacy invades Sargans. From the Canton of Toggenburg, a force of 6,000 (comprising 3,000 regular soldiers and 3,000 mercenaries) will attack the town of Walenstadt in the northwest of the County until it surrenders; assuming this is successful within the year, the 6,000 troops will march southeast to the County's capital, the city of Sargans. These troops will attack Sargans from the north while at the same time a force of 4,000 soldiers of the joint military will march from Glarus and attack the city of Sargans from the southwest, thus outflanking or even encircling the Count's forces. (Algos needed)
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V creates as cardinal Guichard Tavelli.
- Polish Dip: The Swiss troops are accepted and employed.
- Kingdom of Portugal: On 24 January of this year, King Peter I of Portugal passes away peacefully surrounded by his family. His and Queen Inez son John succeds him as John I of Portugal. King John I first act is to uphold his late fathers last wish and buries him in his tomb where he is finally reunited with Queen Inez.Meanhwile King Johns younger borhter becomes the next crown prince as the king currently has no issue. King John I begins a royal tour to greet the citizens of the country and also begins funding the navy significantly more then his late father did. Work on the University of Lisboa begins this year after the king saw the Viennean one, the university is scheduled for completion in approximately ten years.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": The news that the صحراء السيدينية (shra' alsydynyh) has been founded, begins to spread trough trade and special diplomatic convoys. The emperor of Romans and King of Lotharingians hears of the news of how this heritic of a Merchant has been able to find succes in Africa. After hearing it Charles raging and losing his temper, at what he percives as a great failure in diplomacy. Charles asking the Pope to officialy excomunicate Hendrickus Pisacus and his whole band of Explorers (Pope response). Another Duty the Emperor faces is the current wars in Jutland and sealand between the Hanseatic league and the Viking kingdoms of Sweden-norway and Denmark. So tasked with resolving the current problem, although not the best solution Emperor decides that the Empire must defend her lands. As diplomacy seems to have failed, the emperor himself prepares a Lotharingian army of 10,000 men strong together with the Praetorian guard. The praetorian guard - being the elite troops loyal to the emperor's will and only his - their duty is to the emperor above even the Sacred empire. The guard being armed with the best equipment that can be found in the Empire. The emperor does request of all nations to help Lubeck in the Fight against Denmark and Sweden-norway, to send all troops available (Mod response) (Empire Response). As it is feared that if Denmark were to swing more favourably to Sweden, that baltic trade would suffer a lot. As Danish straights is the Conection between the North Sea and the Baltic, and closing it would make it harder for goods from England, Ireland and Beyond to get to Novgorod and other such mercantile states. The Emperor wanting to keep trade going due to the small imperial tolls that keep the treasury filled. Filled for the exact purpose of defending the empire. King Charles of Lothier begins to send Envoys once more, a big envoy going to the Duchy of Guelders. One of the oldest and less known allies of the Lotharingian realm, Charles requesting his ally to Join the Parliament of Mechelen once more as a Special member. (Mod Response). This is where foreign policy is done by the Lotharigian king but most internal policies are handled by the Duke of Guelders. Another envoy going to the Order of Bari which just got a new Headmaster, Charles even giving Adrianus a special robe. Charles asks the order if they wish more formal protection from the Kingdom of Lotharingia(Mod Response). This is due to its strategic location that Charles wants to protect from any form of Egyptian Aggresion.
- Papal Diplomacy: After being informed by John of Arkel, cardinal of Liege, Pope Nicholas V excommunicate Hendrickus Pisacus and all his followers, denouncing them as apostates.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: As the war has finally concluded, the time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines begins, expecting to be completed by 1370. Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Purepecha-Nahuatl. The Toltec war machine is once again re-invigorated under the recently appointed Uakusï Tonauac, a warrior-general that was originally of Tollan origin and led the final stages of the Tarascan-Xalisco War. A savage at heart, the military begins to be built in a more physically demanding system, with a major force on perfection in sword slashes, spear throwing, and shield protection. Metallurgy advances during this period as well.
- Japanese Empire: In the subsequent years following the opening of serious trade relations with the Luzon kingdoms Japan has become somewhat reliant on the gold exports coming out of the region. While high quality goods are able to be traded for this, the gold is something of a liability. As interruptions in shipment can very easily throw off the balance in the precarious currency system of Japan. However, with trade currently ongoing, the issue has been resolved within a degree. The Imperial navy officially welcomes the first of its updated ships in a serious context. Built with heavier wood, reinforced wooden pegs to prevent corrosion and degradation of important superstructure elements and the addition of another mast to the Medium and Heavy Atakabune, these 50 new ships effectively form the core of the new military fleet. They almost immediately see action on the open seas running between Luzon and Japan off the coast of the Ryuku's. The Wokou pirates having surged due to expansion of trade and the prior trade crisis engage in a serious campaign to effectively extort protection money out of trade ships running through the region interception gold shipments on multiple occasions. The Imperial fleet engages easily the largest wokou pirate force ever seen. The 50 strong Imperial fleet faces off against nearly 75 lighter interceptor ships from the pirates. A pitched battle ensues and the pirate fleet is absolutely crushed with a loss of nearly their entire force to only three minor losses to the Japanese fleet. The effectiveness of these new ships is completely vindicated and as the fleet pulls into Osaka the Emperor personally greets the admiral naming him the overall commander for the entire Imperial fleet giving him the job of removing the obsolete ships from service permanently. Some newer towns begin to develop offset from the Roadway network as the ease of travel and access to the markets allow for these towns to develop as stopping points between cities. The major cities themselves have also grown to be more densely populated over the last few decades as the more centralized and organized efforts by an emperor instead of a more prestige based and less interested shogun has led to many cities prospering under the restored emperor. Emperor Yoshishege holds regular council with his father Katsumoto with pleaseantries, advice, and even high level dinners being held between the two. The amicable relationship between the creates an effective bloc of influence within the Imperial courts as Yoshishege as a new emperor has been unable to personally gain the necessary influence on his own due to his short tenure as emperor. The introductions between Katsumoto and his closest friends and advisors and to his son and their own children gives the Emperor a much needed boost in influence and court legitimacy as he looks toward centralizing elements of the country further specifically the tax system. While the nobles effectively collect taxes by proxy their share has begun to grow beyond a normal amount which displeases the emperor. However, without the proper influence, he is unable to take serious action to combat the acts of a large but clear minority of the nobility. He begins his own political maneuvers to handle the situation. On the front of expansion, the expansion into claimed Sakhalin and Manchuria continues with Sakhalin seeing more families settle the island and Manchuria seeing the further growth of some settlements alongside the trade highway flowing down from Siberia into Aimoi. Ishigaki sees another ten families settle this year as a small garrison port is established to act as a stopping off point for Japanese patrol fleets.
- Georgia: Aaliyah implements a series of reforms (known as the Tamarine Reforms). These vastly centralize the country – this is, however, an elaboration of pre-existing institutions and a feudal framework (more so in the social and political level, rather than military) is maintained. The population is organized into five "estates": the clergy, the upper and lower nobility, free peasants, and finally, serfs – who currently comprise the majority (~60 percent) of the population. All martial nobles become direct (rather than indirect) vassals of the Crown. This effectively revokes the dukes of their right to own private armies – thus preventing large-scale internal revolts from occurring. However, while ultimate authority on military matters now rests within the King/Queen, dukes (strategos) continue to oversee all martial nobles stationed in their respective provinces with a high degree of autonomy. The dukes are also given an annual salary, in recognition of the military post they now hold. The martial nobles are granted state land (aided by the sudden rise in free land due to plague); only martial nobles stationed in Tbilisi (and the vicinity) are given regular pay. The custom of conditional tenure is codified, although succession in the provinces remains de facto hereditary. The administrative duties of dukes are vastly expanded. Several smaller provincial-level units are combined. The royal ministries (especially the Treasury) is expanded, with the large tax surplus enabling this move. The Tamarine reforms are met with some controversy, resulting in a minor three-day revolt in Ganja – mainly from lower lords who believe their feudal privileges will be revoked. To avoid fanning the flames of dissent, nobles partaking in it are pardoned. In other news, Tamar finally conceives a child with Zekariya. This calms the opposition, with many nobles relieved that there will be a successor to the throne. Foreign trade booms. Cotton is cultivated in Azerbaijan, in the Armenian Highlands, wool is produced; these textile fibers are manufactured into cotton cloth and woolens, respectively. Cotton cloth and woolens are exported. Silver is mined in Imereti, while copper is mined in Kartli; the influx of bullion underpin a thriving economy.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Ethiopian delegation to Europe makes a grand arrival as it sails into the great Venetian arsenal. The delegates marvel at the magnificence of the city and it wondrous canals. Ethiopian shipwrights in the delegation are particularly stunned by the vast amount of ships present, and the complexity of their designs. The engineers sent as part of the delegation study and admire the paved roads of the city. The Ethiopians present gifts of spices, perfumes, ivory and gold to the Doge and enjoy his hospitality. They also are immensely impressed at the magnificence of the Venetian palaces and the bustling markets. They also are fascinated by the block printing devices they find being used commonly throughout the city. The Ethiopians bring with them several pieces of literature, including the Kebra Nagast. The Ethiopian delegates ask the Venetians if they would mind block printing a dozen copies of the Kebra Nagast in Greek. [VENICE RESPONSE] The Ethiopian delegates also meet with several Venetian merchants, politicians, and military leaders, attempting to learn as much information about Europe as possible. Back in Ethiopia, the Emperor continues to professionalize and improve the bureaucracy. With the University at Barari having been teaching students for twenty years now, many Ethiopian Imperial officials are highly literate. As such, the Emperor makes literacy a requirement for holding any ministerial position. The Emperor also begins requiring records of taxes, trade tariffs, and military spending to be kept and sent to the Emperor. The Emperor improves the trade posts / mail carrier stations that were built along the road networks, emphasizing the roads connecting Imperial cities. Each mail carrier station maintains a group of five Imperial agents of the ministry of trade to oversee trade revenue and collect information. They also operate as mail carriers, with three of the fastest horses assigned to each station. The Emperor also continues to improve the naval facilities at Zeila, Massawa and Beri. The death of the Damot vassal king without an heir creates an opportunity for the Empire, which claims the vacant throne of the Damot and annexes Damot into the Empire.
As there has been a prolonged break in combat in the Hanseatic-Bjelbo War, the Prince of Novgorod proposes the following peace deal: 1) the Hansa will withdraw all military from Denmark. 2) Denmark agrees to a decentralized constitution that grants thier vassals such as Holstein greater autonomy, and 3) Sweden and Denmark agree to allow free passage through the Danish straits with no tarriffs to the Hanseatic League.
With the fall of Prague to the Polish-Hungarian forces, their candidate for the throne is proclaimed as King Wenceslaus IV. The remaining nobility in the city, having been taken into the partisons of Henry, balk at the large pressence of Polish and Hungarian troops in Prague, and decry Wenceslaus as a foreign puppet. Henry seems to have gone missing.
Austria is forced to retreat in order to engage the larger Hungarian force on their home territory, which have crossed the border largely unopposed. Duke Stephan II of Bavaria offers to help Hungary in their invasion, hoping to increase their own center of power in the region.
A crisis of identity takes place among the nobility of the Hiberno-Norman Kingdom of Ireland since their independence. Since the war of independence dissolved courts and laws that tied them to the English crown, then most of the Norman population in Ireland have begun reverting to the customs and traditions of the local Irish population, causing great alarm to the ruling Norman nobility.
Peter I of Cyprus decides to postpone the Alexandrian crusade, due to a lack of support and funding.
Henry Suso, a German mystical Dominican Friar, publishes a book in Ulm called The Little Book of Truth. Its primary goal is to defend the ideas of Meister Eckhart.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: After four years of relative peace for Dai Viet, the Emperor has once more raised the levies to secure what he views as the last independent challenger to Dai Viet's power in Southeast Asia, the Khmer Empire. The Emperor raises his entire levy of 26,195 troops and marches them across the border between Dai Viet and the Khmer Empire toward the Khmer capital of Phnom Penh. The army lays siege to Phnom Penh utilizing siege engines constructed onsite and cannons with the army setting up camp outside the city (Algorithm/Mod Response). With the news of the massive army withdrawing from Hanthwaddy Pegu, the Emperor has seen fit to send a diplomatic party to establish relations with Pegu requesting trade between Pegu and Dai Viet (Mod Response). The diplomats stationed in Champa are ordered to offer Che Mo a distant cousin of the Tran ruling family as a wife to King Che Mo (Mod Response). An emergency tax has been issued by the Imperial government for the war against Cambodia. Road construction/improvement continues in southern Dai Viet having reached a couple snags in securing resources as officials still don't have complete control over their regions which makes acquiring supplies for construction sometimes difficult. The expansion/improvement of the irrigation systems across Dai Viet has begun in northern Dai Viet as the laborers in the south are occupied with roadbuilding. Orders for laborers or slaves of the Imperial government to continue to remain consistent in requiring them to help farmers and commonfolk of whichever regions they pass through to gain the love and admiration of the people. In the capital of Hanoi, two factions have begun to make a name for themselves in the Imperial Court between those who support continued relations with China (thân Trung Quốc) and those who don't (Phản đối Trung Quốc). The few Nestorians in the Imperial Court have been spearheading efforts to cut Dai Viet off from China along with those who desire to see Dai Viet grow in power who point to China's inaction regarding Pegu and Hindustan as a point of concern for the futute. The pro-China faction argues for Dai Viet to remain as a tributary to China and to keep the current state of things considering how lenient China has been on the matter of Dai Viet's expansion. The tensions between these two factions remain somewhat lax for the time being, but Emperor Chinh fears that their disagreements will reach a point where armed action is necessary. The transition from Chu Han to Chu Nom for the Imperial Government has proven to have created minor difficulties with documents as they attempt to convert most if not all Imperial documents to Chu Nom. The Dai Viet Navy in its patrols along the coast has come across multiple ships attempting to smuggle precious eaglewood out of Dai Viet and swiftly confiscated the supplies that have been sent to storage depots in Hanoi for the time being. Administrators/officials in southern Dai Viet have had minor complications with the nobles and villages as a small number have proven difficult in their dealings with officials. The Minister of War has been ordered to use what few remaining levy troops that remain in the Kingdom to support the officials and prevent this behavior from occurring again. Work on the Buddhist temples and Nestorian churches across the Kingdom proceeds on schedule in most places under the skilled artisans assigned and paid to build them. The Emperor has begun searching through Dai Viet to find tutors for the young Prince Quan who can be trusted to remain loyal, neutral in court politics, and are well educated. Prince Quan and his mother, Empress Sujin, remain sequestered in the countryside as efforts continue by the Minister of Intelligence and Scarlet Dragons to identify the nobles who had intended to exert control over them. This year the shipyards have churned out another 12 ships for the royal order for more ships. The scholars working on developing gunpowder itself and gunpowder weapons still put their estimates for the acquisition of the resource in the year 1373 unless the Emperor can provide a significant way to bolster their progress or knowledge.
- Pegu agrees to improve diplomacy, and offers trade
- Che Mo is willing to marry Thiên Huy Trần Thục Mỹ, cousin of the Dai Viet ruler
- Nyazwe: Spies from the Maziso Ake report on the state of affairs within the southern territories beyond the Limpopo, stating that the lives of its people continue more or less the same. While the Nguni dominate all aspects of leadership and military life, the Shona who make up more than a third of the population, fill the urban centers and the rural communities surrounding them, while the Nguni still live in line with their traditional pastoral lives. Members of the surviving Shona leadership in the south have been interrogated by the agents of the Maziso Ake, have stated that they chaff under the Nguni, who grew bitter under Shona rule and now demand excessive tribute and taxes from the Shona inhabitants and force them to give up their cattle and crops without any compensation as "punishment" for the sin of having settled down in the land. One of the Shona elders states that should Nyazwe's armies march into the land, there are many in the population who would await their return and fight by their side to help re-establish the former order of things in the south. These elders are urged to return to their homes and begin spreading the message among their fellow people that Nyazwe will return. This information is reported to the Hamadzese later on, informing them of the developments within the Nguni territories. While the economy of the south has continued largely uninterrupted by the change in leadership, with most of the gold, diamond, copper, and coal mines remaining in the hands of the Shona who built and understand how to use them, the Nguni have complete control over all aspects of life in the land, and that the Shona citizens there continue to await their rescue by Nyazwe, who they stand ready to assist. These revelations encourage the government to continue with the rebuilding of the army, which has reached its planned size of 35,250 warriors, but lacks the equipment necessary to be fully-armed for a new southern invasion. Much of the existing stocks of weapons and armor had been stolen by rebels during the civil war, and must be replaced by the armories throughout the country. All of the required equipment is scheduled to be replaced by the start of the next year, meaning that in the meantime, plans for the invasion must be laid out in line with the information provided by the Maziso Ake. In the civil realm of Nyazwe, peace has effectively been returned to the land, with most of the rubble from the fighting removed by the warriors and civilian laborers, while roads that were neglected during the fighting have been cleared of plant life and dangerous animals. Due to the lack of public funding as a consequence of the budget cuts from the previous year, only the most important sections of infrastructure has been targetted for repair or expansion, while other sections must wait until the funding is available once more. In the west, the settlements of Maun and Gantsi continue to prosper thanks to the migration of citizens from the core territories into the new western frontier of Nyazwe. The raising of livestock in the region along with the pre-existing grain fields cultivated in the land, become importance sources of income for the young settlements, which have managed to invest much of their newfound wealth into their continued development thanks to the five-year stay on the collection of taxes by the central government. At the western-most tip of the frontier at the settlement of Nzou Inogara, trade with the San people continues, with the Shona trading water and food in exchange for precious gems and beads collected by the San. Many of the Khoisan people settle down alongside of the Shona, and intermarry with the inhabitants, gradually accepting Faraic principles and integrating into Shona society. Back in Lusvingo, the Ministry of Means reveals to Chatunga and the members of the Great Officiate that there was a surplus of 94,887 gold dhahabu from the previous year that could be put toward the government's budget, affording it additional room for development in the wake of the civil war. After much consultation with the Hamadzese and the various ministries of the government, it is decided that the wages of the warriors will be returned to their former scale, reversing the decision to cut their salaries by 33percent. The result of this increase in the war ministry's budget ends with the tally of the overall state budget being in excess of one solitary dhahabu, a single coin deficit which is symbolically paid for Zvakane Chatunga himself to put the government back in line with its available budget. To help with the recovery of the nation's economy, Chatunga sends a delegation of officials to Ethiopia to negotiate a trade deal between the two countries, as well as help expand Nyazwe's economy reach to other parts of the region.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: the ongoing dispute with the Vidinite, still fustrating with Prince Nicholas the government has been building a size-full army to planned to kick those invader on southern with among of 20,510 cavalry they're reconquering the local region border of Bulgaria principles a migration of Byzantines Greek people move toward at the south border which is worse the information was been reported by the noblemen who are reponsible from making the full-size of the warrior in our council's Voidevode. Anyway, the settlement of Vidin's border Calafat is being attacked by the Vidinite as well know as the 'New Europe Bridge' from 631 kilometre the collection of taxe's cavalry are well done the noble's Prince Nicholas sent the troops at Calafat to push it down the Vidinites with the community of Dobruj's there's a trade well advanced for food, letter and among money up to rise at the gourvement's local office into their own perspective as well people are more into in the relation of Byzantine-Wallachia's trade series at the local's journey we're working on it thanks by the eastern Orthodox church office and the Pharaniotes an exchange of food in Transylvania has been developed the whole population so far Calafat still raging toward our own border at the west coast of Bulgaria a new migration series of a nation called Armenian Tatar and Slovak are being into the main territory also include Romaniotes as been welcomed in a safety way toward hostility of the Middle East imperialists which is difficult to bring migrations on us and we built a castle openfort to welcome the migrations to Anatolia to Levant or Eastern Europe whatever it is.
- Tian China: With peace with Ayutthaya now achived, and the situation along the border having been stable for a year, Prince Xuanye withdraws from La Xang, and returns to China, where his father awards him for his service by granting him the title of Duke of Wuwei,and a significant amount of land along the frontier for him and his descendants to defend and hold. The ambassador to Japan also dies this year, and the current Duke of Yansheng, Kong Ren, is selected as the new ambassador, a measure of the greatest respect from the Emperor in light of the new dynastic connections between the empire and the king of Japan (OOC: China is unlikely to refer to others as Emperor and thus in character the Japanese emperor will be addressed as king). He is also a great scholar, and brings a number of Chinese Confucian texts with him, including several written by his esteemed ancestor (though not the original copies) when he leaves China, which he will introduce to the Japanese court. Meanwhile, back in Indochina, with the war against Ayutthaya won mostly by Chinese forces and La Xang now recognized by all the parties who participated in the war as officially under Chinese protection, La Xang begins to enter into a state of de facto vassalage to the Tian Empire and come under more and more Chinese influence, as the ruler of La Xang is dependent on China to guard his realm well he repairs his forces and reastablishes control over his country, as his armies were absolutely wrecked in war with Dai Viet and Ayutthaya before the intervention of China and it will take a long time to recover his authority over the rest of his country, which has become de facto much more decentralized then before. In China, meanwhile, the soldiers returning from the war are granted the lands they were promised by the emperor before they departed, with the majority being granted lands in depopulated regions Henan or the Yangzte, with the rest being granted lands in Chinese Manchuria and Taiwan, where thousands are resettled, with the hope being that their presence will help Sinicize the area’s and keep those locals who have had thoughts of rebellion under control due to the presence of trained warriors loyal to the Celestial Empire and the Tian Dynasty. The majority of those settled in Chinese Manchuria and Taiwan will end up taking wives from the local population, with most of those coming from the local Manchu and Austronesian populations, but also from the local Chinese communities which have already been established in these regions. This well help to ensure a simultaneous rise in the number of Han people in these regions and decline in the numbers of Manchu and Native Taiwanese populations over time, as marrying female relatives to a Han soldier quickly comes to be viewed as a path to success and prosperity by the local populations who are normally in poverty in comparison to the Chinese populations if they are not members of the local nobility, and filial obligation will ensure that these families new sons in law will help them better themselves and their situation, and in the process make them adopt more and more Chinese cultural customs as they try to fit in with he Chinese communities. The immigration into the Henan and Yangzte regions that has been ongoing for the last few years from the eastern states also continues, and in fact accelerates this year as many resettled soldiers that were originally form those regions and older settlers who have now established themselves in these areas and grown to become wealthy landholders encourage their family members from these regions to move over themselves and join them, and the Soldiers often seek wives from their old regions which they bring to their new settlements in these regions. Finally, the first child of Prince Shang and Princess Miyuki is born this year (as the first ended up being an unfortunate miscarriage), and is a boy, named Tian Qigang. As someone who will most likely be emperor after his father, much attention is given to his health and ensuring he survives his first few months (as infant mortality rates are still high during this era) and despite being somewhat of a frail baby, he is soon declared healthy and is officially introduced to the court. Trade with Hindustan also begins to pick up even more than before (as they pay us tribute to trade despite not really being viewed as a tributary), and as a result Silk Road connections begin to establish themselves once again to a much greater extent than in recent years as trade flows through Tibet and Indochina into Hindustan in a great deal of products on both sides, which are then sold further down the road. Materials and products such as spices, cultural artifacts and gold flowing into China from our increasing trade with the Liusung kingdoms are also increasingly traded for higher prices through these routes, as are occasionally Japanese furs from Siberia, which there are many of in China from many years of trading with them.
- Papal States: Pope Nicholas V oversees the creation of a convent of Bridgetine nuns in Rome with the help of Bridget of Sweden. She returns to Sweden after the feast of Our Lady of Victory. Youhanna Daoud is ordinated as Coptic bishop of Camerino and the Church of Saint Mark is elevated as Cathedral. By request of bishop Daoud, pope Nicholas writes to the pope of Alexandria, Yoannis Asherah, asking him to send some theological books of the Coptics to be placed in the Sistine Library. This way helping the Catholic Church to better understand the Coptic rite and to help the study of future Coptic priests of the Diocese of Ancona [MOD response needed, please]. The Holy Father creates as cardinals John V of Dampierre-St. Dizier (Verdun) and Florian of Mokrsko (Poland-Lithuania). He declares Mechthild of Magdeburg and Johannes Tauler as Servants of God, while Gundisalvus of Amarante is declared as Blessed. This year, copies of the seven books that constitute Das fließende Licht der Gottheit (The Flowing Light of Divinity) writen by Mechthild of Magdeburg are placed in the Sistine Library. With the encouragement of Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason, the Papal States officially starts to use block printing. Four copies of the Cofessions of Saint Augustine are produced by this method. One copy is sent to the Central Council of the Swiss Confederacy, other to Iceland, other to the Latin Empire and one is placed in the Sistine Library [Swiss, Iceland and Latin Empire response needed, please]. The orphanage of the Workers of Charity continues to take care of abandoned children in Ostia. Working together with the Order of Divine Mercy and the Hospital of Ostia, Elena Cimorelli is able to make that physicians visit the orphanage once a month to check the children. She and the other Beguines start to search for artisans who can give apprenticeship to the children when they grow up. Elena also tries to teach the children how to read and write, as Father Fabozzi taught her. Giorgio Cassani and the Beghards grow the vegetables that are used to feed the children in the orphanage.
- Pope John X of Alexandria sends books ascribed to Origen, Clement, Athanasius, Cyril, and a number of other work.
- Swiss Diplomacy: The Central Council thanks Pope Nicholas V for the copy of Saint Augustine's Confessions. After a brief dispute between the Zürich Library and the Bern Library, the Central Council gives the book to the Zürich Library as it is the older of the two institutions.
- Kingdom of Scotland: The Parliament of Scotland tightens legislation with the support of King David II, making it increasingly difficult for English nobles to conduct any financial agreements with England. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are reinforced with the addition of dozen big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II enforces his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also lead to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. Economic, diplomatic and any kind of other assistance required, other than resumption of hostilities, such as helping them escape persecution from the English authorities into our domain, all this support is freely given to our Welsh kindred, nobility and commoners alike, in part to compensate for their abandonment in the treaty, hoping to keep the flame of the cause of independence alive, if not yet openly hostile, but vigilant for when the time comes. Same assistance is given freely to the Cornish people. [Welsh/Cornish Response].
- Republic of Venice: With great interest gives the Doge the order to print and translate 20 copies of the book of the Ethiopians, as which the Kebra Negest becomes known, into Venetian and Greek. A printing press including letters for the Amharic, Greek and Latin script would be offered to the Ethiopians as well, if Venice would be able to gain favorable trading deals regarding the spice trade via Egypt (ETHIOPIA RESPONSE, PLEASE). The trade with Africa gives the venetians many much needed financial resources, to regain their wealth and repair and modernize the long halted fortification programs, with massive fortresses being built along the Milanese border and inside the country, to ensure safe travelling and that, in case of a civil war, the venetian army can exactly know the weak points and organization in case of a conflict.
- Ethiopian Dip: The Empire accepts this offer and looks forward to forging a mutually profitable trade deal.
- Iceland: The population rises to 31,500. Parliament allows unmarried women over 25 age to vote. A statue is built in front of the Grand Cathedral of Ari Guðmundsson. The government put more focus on fishing rather than farming. The book from the Papacy is accepted and put among Ari’s vision and the mapping of hell. The Upper Council decides that every other ruler has to marry an Icelandic Person starting with King Domnhall. “The Statue of Freedom” is built on Engey and is modelled after “The Fjallskonan”.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The fortress built at the tip of the Horn of Africa is given a charter to formalize it as an Imperial city. The fortress-turned-city is named Ch’afu, Amharic for “The Edge”, a name to signify the city’s position at the very edge of the Horn of Africa. The Emperor orders the construction of port facilities there, aiming to establish it as another Ethiopian trade city for merchants attempting to reach the Horn of Africa. Additionally, a Church is built in the city and gifted to the Order of St. Anthony, the monastic order tasked with converting Ethiopia’s pagan and Muslim populace. To help further Ethiopian naval power, the Empire sends a demand to the disorganized Somali tribes between Ethiopia and Ajuuran to convert to Christianity and swear fealty to Ethiopia. The Emperor offers to allow them to retain their titles if they do, but promises to wipe them out if they refuse [MOD RESPONSE NEEDED]. The Emperor musters the Chewa forces, 10,000 well trained men and veterans of the war against the Sultanate of Dakhlan. The nobles of the Empire also contribute 8,000 men, for an Ethiopian army of 18,000 men. The 18,000 strong army is led again by the aging Newaya Krestos, who seeks to win a final victory before he is too weak to command personally. The army is deployed to Ethiopia’s border with the disorganized Somali tribes, aiming to invade and conquer the Somalis to assert Ethiopian control if they refuse the ultimatum [ALGO NEEDED IF OFFER REFUSED]. In Europe, the Ethiopian delegation makes 12 copies of the Kebra Nagast and makes plans to visit Rome. The delegates make efforts to learn as much knowledge as possible about Europe, buying maps, ship designs, historical texts, religious writings, and more.
- Ajuuran surrenders, but the local Somali people continue in violent resistance.
- Swiss Confederacy: With the Swiss victory in Sargans, Count John of Werdenberg-Sargans is deposed and imprisoned in Zürich. His territories, comprising Sargans proper, Pfäfers, Vaduz, Sonnenberg and Blumenegg, are organised into the Canton of Sargans of the Swiss Confederacy. A military captain named Thomas Wagner is named as transitional governor of Sargans, to be replaced by an elected burgomaster within a year. Many civilians in Sargans are pleased at the deposition of Count John as his financial incompetence had damaged their economy. The Central Council and Ulrich VI von Lenzburg now turn their attention to two adjacent territories, governed by relatives of John of Werdenberg-Sargans, who have unacceptable ties to the Habsburgs: the counties of Werdenberg-Heiligenberg and Montfort. An envoy delivers Count Albert II of Werdenberg-Heiligenberg the following ultimatum: he must sever all ties with the Habsburg dynasty and allow his territories south of Lake Constance (including Werdenberg proper and several towns farther north along the Rhine in between St. Gallen and Montfort, including the Rheintal and Rheineck; Heiligenberg proper, located north of Lake Constance is exempt and would be allow to remain independent as Albert II's territory) to join the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of Werdenberg, or face military invasion. (Mod response) Count William II of Montfort is delivered the following ultimatum: he must sever all ties with the Habsburg dynasty and allow his territories (extending north to Tettnang and south to Feldkirch) to join the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of Montfort, or face military invasion, though if he complies with the ultimatum he will be allowed to remain the Canton of Montfort's domestic governor similar to the Count of Toggenburg. (Mod response) The two groups of the military recombine in Sargans to form a force of 9,000 troops. While waiting for the diplomatic communications to go through, the military focuses on fortifying the new Canton of Sargans, particularly the cities of Sargans and Vaduz, and building siege weaponry to be used in subsequent conflicts. 5,000 Swiss mercenaries remain in Bohemia to help King Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia and the Polish-Lithuanian forces against the Austrian or Hungarian forces as necessary. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg's son Heinrich II (b. 1344) travels to Sargans to join the military as a sub-commander, while Ulrich VI remains with the Central Council in Schwyz to act as a strategic coordinator for the Swiss forces. Domestically, the government focuses on improving and expanding farms to increase the food supply for the military efforts. Additionally, in the new Canton of Sargans efforts are made to recruit peasants to be new soldiers in the joint military of the Confederacy. In Chur, town guards and labourers start to protest that Bishop of Chur Peter Gelyto is denying them their rightful loans, while monks and nuns at the local ecclesial school and clinic complain that the bishopric is doing poorly financially; this gets the attention of the Central Council, who launch an official investigation of Gelyto and the bishopric. In Lenzburg, Gottfried von Lenzburg and Margaret Capet have a third child; tragically, Margaret (1335-1366) dies in childbirth, but her child is saved with a Caesarean section aided by Zürich physicians and nuns from the Order of Divine Mercy. A son, Gottfried names him Friedrich in honour of the Blessed Federico Goikoetxea and Abbot of Salem Frederick Capet.
- Werdenberg-Heiligenberg and Montfort decline the ultimata.
- Swiss Diplomacy: With both ultimatums being rejected, the Swiss military springs into action again. The 9,000 soldiers in Sargans split again: 4,000 troops attack the city of Werdenberg from Sargans until it surrenders. The other 5,000 troops attack from Vaduz the city of Feldkirch at the southern end of Montfort's domain, using newly built siege weapons to besiege the city; once the conflict in Werdenberg concludes the Swiss troops there will attack Feldkirch from the west, outflanking the Montfortian forces there. (Algos needed)
- Kingdom of Eiru: Listening to and in response to the concerns of the Hibero- Norman nobility King Tighearnach argues that it would be unreasonable for him to enforce a law upon the Anglo- Gaelic banning them from adopting Gaelic customs arguing that he himself is Gaelic, most of the population of Eiru is Gaelic, they fought a war for Gaelic independence and the unenforceablity of said law on a highly feudal society. The third of the nobility of Eiru which are Gaelic also reject the suggestion of laws banning mixing. The Hibero- Norman lords are welcome to attempt to enforce any law upon their own lands they so wish as to stop the English from mixing with the Gaelic natives but the High King will not involve himself. Understanding opposition to his decision especially in the Pale and its heavily pure English population where he resides he sends his son and heir Eoghan to his ancestral home of Tir Eoghain a solely Gaelic land in case of a rebellion against his rule. The High King garrisons Dublin castle where he lives with some 200 men of primarily Gaelic and Anglo- Gaelic origin rather than full blooded English while leaving the soldiers of the Pale to garrison the border defences. Other soldiers are not raised but there is a tension between the full blooded English settlers and Gaelic as well as Anglo- Gaelic population. Dublin castle is well stocked for food and weapons and the King rarely leaves the castle without a strong escort. Piracy continues to grow with attacks on merchant shipping and villages.
- Kingdom of Denmark: Seeing the war as useless and expensive, The danish king would announce that they will accept all of require peace deals of the Hanseatic Leauge. The Treaty of Hamburg occurs as Denmark will accept all of the Hanseatic league peace proposed. The Treaty is officially sign-on February 16, 1366. The end of the war would have mixed reviews. Many people would see the end of the war positively, as many were tired of sending men to fight, as well as the long peace would make fighting useless. However, many others would see the peace negatively. They see that Denmark should not make peace with his enemies and should relaunch the war. On December 8: The danish king is assassinated by some of his senators. The senators we're soon found, trail, charge guilty and sentenced to death. The death of the Danish king would create a power struggle between
his two princesclaiming the throne.
- If you decide to kill off your monarch, bear in mind that King Valdemar IV has no surviving children except two daughters: one is married to the Duke Henry III of Mecklenburg, and the other is married to the King Haakon VI of Sweden.
- Hungary-Croatia: With the Austrians withdrawing to defend their homeland, King Stephan leads the charge of the army in Austria to Baron Nicholas Garai as Stephan opts to travel to Bohemia to inspect what the Magyar-Polish forces have gained. It is offered for the Polish to send troops to besiege Vienna (Polish Response). Baron Garai moves with his 25,000 troops to besiege Vienna and force a peace out of the Hapsburgs. King Stephan gladly accepts the the Bavarian proposal for them to join against the Hapsburgs.
- Kingdom of Portugal: On 27 May of this year King John I is takes his coronation oath and holds a passionate and emotional speech about his love of the country and his inexperience and aks the people to help him in these trying times.King John I continues expanding the navy significantly and doing naval drills with them. Nonetheless, the royal army sees a small decrease of 2,000 men being admitted to it to help streghten the country. Meanwhile, paved roads from Lisboa to porto becomes a reality which increases the transportation there significantly.
- Sweden-Norway: Haakon sends a communique to the Hanseatic League, saying that he is fully prepared to make the Prince of Novgorod's peace deal a reality, again reiterating that Hanseatic shipping would not be negatively affected post-war, and that a continuation of war would not be beneficial to either the Burgmeisters or the Holy Roman Empire, as this can either be finished now, or remain a burning issue for years to come. An additional 4,700 men are raised as levies, and adding to that the previous year's levies, brings the reserve army up to 8700, these men are positioned in Norway and Halland. As the 55 ships commissioned last year finish construction in Bergen, Haakon orders the construction of 40 more. With the assassination of King Valdemar, Haakon declares his dominance over Denmark due his marriage to Margaret Valdemarsdotter, asserting his claim as King of that nation. Haakon, wishing that this new infighting not distract from the more pressing issue of the war in Jutland, tells those claiming the throne that they should stop, and begin fighting against the Hanseatic League which seeks to ultimately put Denmark in their influence. In the meantime he addresses any Danish noble who may feel threatened by the House of Bjelbo, saying that the daughter of their former liege would also help rule their country, continuing the rule of the House of Estridsen.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": سيدي إرميا الهلشتية (sydy ermya alhlshtyh) seeing the encampments turning into two small towns, So he allows the settlers to name these towns to whatever they can collectively decide on. Although the Sidi wants to act like his settlements are a real state, at this moment of time it is not. It is not a state but a group of men with a very flat and non hierachical system, where respect to each other is main foundation. Respect to all even infidels like the Christians and even the jews, as in صحراء السيدينية (shra' alsydynyh) the only goal is to find treasure in trade. Trade being in the founding blood, sweat and iron of the nation, as the reason for Hendrickus pisacus exploration was tolerance and Money. This does raise some minor questions with Islam and the Quran for the Sidi, and Christianity and the Bible. As greed is in Christianity a sin and an anathema in Islam. Money the sacred empire needs dearly for keeping the troops who are currently moving toward the danish Border Suplied, and paid. While the Praetorian guard of 1,000 is paid by imperial taxes and tolls, the Lotharingian royal army is paid by the the kingdom of Lotharingia and the Mechelen parliament. This money also be the same that keeps his court well fed and his state well running. So Emperor leads the Royal Lotharingian army personally to the Dansih border, where he sets camp right outside of Lubeck. Charles even meeting with the Mayor of the City and other merchants of the Hanze that he's protecting. Some of his set up defences include anti-cavalry pikes and some earth mounts with in front of them ditches for the cannons and crossbowmen. Many of the archers and crossbowmen being from the famous but yet often forgotten Brabantine laws stating all men from 14 to 42 to practice archery at least once a week and own one bow with eight arrows. This helping a lot mostly in early campaign as the King and his nobles does not need to supply his archers from the start with extra arrows and bows. Some of these archers even being employed on ships of the Royal Lotharingian navy to harrass and prevent Danish and swedish trade from getting to their destination. Lotharingian merchants beign allowed to pirate any danish and swedish so long as they inform the next Lotharingian harbour of their new found gains. This being done in the hope that the Danish and Swedish will be economicly destructed and eventualy unable to pay their own soldiers. Feinsin of Luxembourg-reginarid heir to the Lotharingian throne being now a young child, is learning the basics for being a good Ruler. For this he does require good schooling, Koning Karl looking for this exact education for his son outside his realm.
- Poland-Lithuania: Having successfully installed Wenceslaus on the Bohemian throne Stanislaw I grants the hungarian request sending 10,000 troops mainly infantry to assist the siege of Vienna, while 3,000 are left in Bohemia to protect supply lines, but out of respect to Wenceslaus IV the garrison is established outside Prague.Assurances are also made to Wenceslaus IV that the Polish will not try to interfere in his rule or Bohemian affairs overall. He, however, offers a formal alliance to the new king as well as a request to maintain the strong trade relations betyween Bohemia and Poland. Reforms in Stanislaw's realm continue. expansion of roads and the port of Gdansk continue. The fortifications of Polotsk continue to be extended and improved while the garrison is reinforced.
- Hanseatic League: Sweden's interference must be punished. The crisis of the Danish Crown confirms what the Hanseatic League was fighting for in the first place: to place the Danish crown in stable hands for the good of the Baltic and Northern Europe. The 30,000 near Aalborg march north to combat the Swedish army to the north of Limfjord. Again, the Hanseatic League attempts to run the Swedish army thin along the rocky Danish shore before pushing the army into the sea. Though maritime trade through the Baltic is affected by this war, land routes remain open, drawing profit from both Russia and Germany, transporting goods across Prussia. Furthermore, the purchase of weapons and armor by armies enlisted by the Hanseatic League draws much profit for the various smiths and merchants of the Hanseatic League. The blockade around Denmark continues to choke the nation as Swedish attacks on Hanseatic ships are beginning to result in more losses for the Swedes than they're worth.
- Kingdom of Padania: The Kingdom of Padania prepares for future actions with the expansion of its military as well as attempts at revising deals with the various Mercenary companies in which they charge more due to the recent revelations in lack of manpower most nations currently struggle with. This results in a 1.75 percent increase in the fees of the Mercenaries for anyone and everyone. A census takes place this year in order to get an idea of casualties as a result of the wars and plague. (Mod response needed) Secret: The Medici family assassins’ begin to make moves against Minor Venetian merchant families due to payment through an anonymous source. As well fortifications began to be built up along the borders and moves are made to establish agents within different Venetian cities. End Secret. The knowledge of the Greeks is becoming more widely known throughout Padania and many people view there practices as an amazing way to better themselves and many enjoy the art and architecture which the Greeks used as a refresher to the darkness and grim that current art and architecture continue to be.
- The population is determined to be 3,067,034 across all the claimed lands of Padinia.
Denmark's nobles are generally split, with some supporting to accept Margaret as regent of Denmark in representation of her husband, King Haakon of Sweden-Norway. Other nobles, however, consider inviting Henry III von Mecklenburg to become king instead, because of his wife Ingeborg. However, this question of succession comes at the same time of the ongoing invasion of the Hanseatic League.
With peace still not yet established in the German-Scandinavian War, the Princes of Novgorod and Kiev have no choice but to take action. They sanction all trade to the Hanseatic League, and mount a peacekeeping force of Rus mercenaries to help restore order to Denmark. Such economic action will cause them damage, but in the face of the ongoing damage to their economy as a result of this war, it is proven to be a necessary measure.
Some minor unrest takes place in Wales and Cornwall as a result of the support from Scotland. King Edward considers this an intolerable action and begins to moniter trade and communication between Wales and Scottish-controlled Mann.
Norman population and nobility in the Pale of Ireland around Dublin revolts against the King, on the grounds of compelling him to sign the Statutes of Kilkenny.
The Habsburgs only barely hold out against the combined coalition of Polish, Lithuanian, Hungarian, Bavarian, and Swiss military all sieging the great city of Vienna, with supplies running thin. With the Bohemian civil war concluded, some German electors question what the importance of this coalition war is exactly.
King Victor of France creates the first Royal Library in France.
A fire erupts in the city of Nanjing in China, causing great damage to older parts of the city and leaving over 100,000 people homeless.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Sultanate of Ajuuran’s submission to Ethiopia comes as a surprise to the Emperor. However, he quickly takes advantage of the Sultan’s submission and marches his army into Ajuuran to accept the Sultan’s submission. The army, however, is ambushed several times by fierce Somali fighters, who harass the marching army with brief skirmishes before retreating back into the hills and the brush. The Ethiopian army quickly moves to seize most of the wells in the country, aiming to deny water to any Somali who would resist the invasion and cause them to die of thirst, as well as seizing the cities of Sofala and Kismayo to guard and control the Jubba and Buzi rivers [MOD RESPONSE ON SUCCESS]. The Emperor and his Chewa guards march into the capital of Mogadishu and welcome the Ajuuran Sultan as a vassal of the Empire. The Emperor invites all Ajuuran nobles to come to Mogadishu and submit and convert. Those who accept will be confirmed in their lands and titles, while those who refuse will be executed and their lands and titles will be seized. [MOD RESPONSE ON HOW MANY NOBLES CONVERT]. The Sultan and the nobles who accept are baptized in a highly publicized ceremony, with the baptism being done in front of the entire city of Mogadishu. With the Sultan now a Christian, he is allowed to rule Ajuuran as a vassal of Ethiopia. With Ajuuran now a vassal, it is required to pay tribute to Ethiopia, while Ethiopian trade agents of the Ministry of Trade arrive in Ajuuran ports to promote Ethiopian trade and collect tariffs. The Empire also begins to develop cotton farming as an alternative source of revenue, as cotton sold to Egypt forms a lucrative market while cotton can also be sold to Mogadishu to fuel its weaving industry. On Imperial farm lands (owned by the Emperor) cotton begins to be planted, while farmers who choose to grow cotton are given tax cuts for their grain quotas. In Europe, the delegation leaves after immensely enjoying their stay in Venice, leaving a copy of the Kebra Nagast with the Doge so Venice may study Ethiopia’s history and religion. The delegation travels through the Italian countryside, marveling at its beauty and its bounty. An Ethiopian diplomat writes, “This is a land of a soft and gentle sun, who blesses this place with lush fields of wheat and sprawling trees bearing olives and vines full of grapes. It is perhaps the closest I have seen to paradise.” The Ethiopian delegation arrives at Rome, where it requests a meeting with the Roman Pontiff to formally establish relations with the Pope and to present the gifts they have brought. These gifts include ivory, spices, perfumes, silks, gold, and a copy of the Kebra Nagast in Greek to help the Papacy better understand Ethiopia’s religion and history. The delegates also seek to extend the friendship of the Emperor and the East African Christians to the leader of the European Christian faith [VATICAN RESPONSE].
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V welcomes the Ethiopian delegation in Rome.
- Nyazwe Diplomacy: On behalf of the Hamadzese and citizens of Nyazwe, Zvakane Chatunga wishes to establish an equitable trade agreement with the venerable Empire of Ethiopia.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: War still raging, with the vidinite on Calafat the gourvemenet on calafat send 23,000 army side requesting by the noble's Prince Nicholas the submission taking advantages to organize the payment of the development's a castle is finish to build up the army is, however, going to annex Vidin in the port town of it most of soldier are being suffering by them so we sending some of Byzantine's cavalry from the Pharaniotes a new strategy is well extremly developed made by House of Bassarab the pharaniotes supporter built an armor of Horse to become more stronger than ever of it of one percent well done and organized later the Slavonic Orthodox is making a new chant know as Cherubikon they're sending among copies text and literature toward the region Transylvania, the government even a leaving a copy to them a new portion of trade is done on the trade route in attempt to secure the West Vidin to outraging at the port the soldier accros outside of wallachia to Vidinite points war of exactly lemens leave what is used for the noble House of Bassarab with Nicholas who goes in a church to hear the new chant of what they planned of it in this year well most of abbess in a role protectorial keep the House of Bassarab and leader of the old church to protect it their own absence for the invader should not come on it well.
- Mali Empire: The Manding colonization of the southern regions picks up, with greater settlements in Jabal Asada and Wydah as well as other regions. These settlements are further facilitated by local Manding secret societies, as well as the widespread education system of previous generations. This education system heavily focuses on bringing up the local populations into Manding culture, including Islamic theology of the Yuniyyah school and literacy in both Mandike and Tameshq. The navy also continues to be expanded and upgraded across the ports of Dakar, Koya and Nkran, taking control over all trade along the Atlantic coast. The Yuni scholars across Timbuktu and similar cities facilitate advancements in architecture and sculpture work, making the new phase of "Sahelian Gothic" a standard of the major cities in the empire. The mathematician Ishaq completes the era of his flourish at this time, publishing his own works and commentaries of older Greek and Arabic scholars. He is succeeded by a school of students, based in Trauza, and the most prominent of these disciples is the mathematician Iskandar. Mansa Ayyob grew old and weak, and knew his life wasn't long for this world. However, he wanted to ensure that the same crisis of succession did not take place as it did in the days of his father Musa. He nominated his oldest son, Mustafa, as his desginated successor, and had all his other sons swear loyalty to the new ruler. At the very end, the Imperial Caliph Idris As-Segu consecrated Mustafa as well, giving the approval of God as well. At the very end Ayyob, son of Musa, died in the pressence of all the most eminent philosophers and sculptures of the empire, as well as all his wives and children. The death of Ayyob marks the official end of the "Golden Age" of the Keita Dynasty, comprising the empires of Musa and Ayyob mostly documented by Ibn Battuta. This point forward, as the literature of Mali emenating from Timbuktu became more reliable and regular, the era of more "historical" rulers of Mali take shape, giving us a more balenced appraisal of their strengths and weaknesses. Upon ascending as Emperor of Mali, Mustafa dispatched an expedition north along the African coast, to make contact with the thalassocratic state of Hendrickus Pisacus. He offers Hendrickus to establish trade directly to Mali, and pledged a limited amount of military to ally with the vulnerable state and defend them from nomadic Berber attacks. Mustafa holds no ill will from Hendrickus being expulsed by his grandfather Musa, but rather he fondly remembers him being an honored guest at the court of Niani, and wished to show him such kindness in the future (RESPONSE).
- Papal States: Pope NIcholas V meets with the Ethiopian ambassadors in the Lateran Palace. The generous gifts offered by the Emperor of Ethiopia are accepted by the pontiff. During the meeting, the pope talks about the Holy League and how it was able to destroy the Ottoman Caliphate that was threatening to invade Europe through the East. He proposes an alliance between the Empire and the Holy League, to fight against Muslim threats in Egypt [Ethiopia response needed, please]. After the meeting, Nicholas V shows the Ethiopians Saint Augustine's University, the Sistine Library, the Hospital of Rome and the Basilicas of Rome. After that, they visit the Coptic community living in March of Ancona. In honor to their visit, Coptic bishop Youhanna Daoud celebrate a mass in the Coptic Cathedral of Saint Mark in Camerino. When the ambassadors are preparing to leave, the pope give them copies of the works of Saint Thomas Aquinas, Saint Augustine and Saint Gregory the Great. All these copies were produced by the Roman Block printing, established by Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason. The pope sents the Teutonic Knights to Cyprus with the mission to protect what remained of the Latin Kingdom of Jerusalem. In a letter to king Peter I of Cyprus, he says that the knights will also help in his attempts to recover territories in the Levant [MOD response needed, please]. The books given by Pope John X of Alexandria are placed in the Sistine Library and attract Latin and Coptic priests. The construction of the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory continues. Pope Nicholas V recognizes the independence of the Kingdom of Eiru and the Kingdom of Scotland from English rule. The pope sends a letter to Edward III asking him to give back to the Templars the properties that were confiscated when antipope Callixtus IV tried to dissolve the Order [MOD response needed, please]. The Holy Father creates as cardinals Gomes Manrique (Hispania), Robert of Geneva (France), Birger Gregersson (Sweden) and Nicholas II Morosini (Venice). With the death of Cardinal Albornoz this year, the pope gives the position of General Comissary to Cardinal Robert of Geneva. In a hearing with the pope, Elena Cimorelli is able to convince him to threatens excommunication for all those who having the means to rear children choose to abandon they instead. A plate with this proclamation is place in the Workers of Charity's orphanage in Ostia.
- Cyprus welcomes the Teutonic order, and considers that he needs more naval support particularly before invading the Levant.
- King Edward relinquishes the Templar treasures with the consultation of Parliament. This does not account for all the treasure the Templars once had
- Kingdom of Scotland: We request its holiness, Pope Nicholas V to excommunicate Edward III, King of England as he unlawfully continues to occupy church property for over 50 years now.
- Georgia: In the previous year of 1366, Aaliyah's first child with Zekariya, a healthy baby boy, is born. He is named Bagrat V. To consolidate her popularity, she begins a tour of her realm – accompanied by her immediate family and state ministers (and their entourage) – which finishes in the current year of 1367. Aaliyah promotes a period of cultural revival, after devastation by the Great Plague. Aaliyah herself produces several works of literature, such as several poem compilations and the Anastasiad (similar to how Anastasios' Davidiad), which portrays her late father in a hagiographical light. Wanting to reestablish an optimistic national mood, Aaliyah prohibits the small but visible "death cults" which emerged in several port cities by contact with the Latins. She also vigorously promotes religious arts such as polyphonic singing, the making of icons (especially with gold and enamel), and the restoration/construction of churches. Asides from the already established Gelati and Ikalto Academies, the Saint Nino's Academy – intended for educating young aristocratic girls – also receives royal patronage. Egged on by the Georgianized Turko–Mongol nobility, Aaliyah sends 30,000 troops (of which, ~5,000 are elite troops) to conquer northwest Persia (Tabriz and the vicinity) in 1367. Aaliyah also justifies this move by citing her Ilkhanid ancestry (via her paternal grandmother, Oljath), and the alleged misrule of the region by the incumbent Jaylanid dynasty. Aware of his competence, Aaliyah gives the Aghbugha I Jaqeli, who is also the Vizier, the position of Marshal – reviving the custom of bequeathing the Duke of Samtskhe both offices. Aaliyah intends to vassalize the region by giving one of her relatives (the Ilkhanid remnants who live in Georgia, both before and after the collapse of the Ilkhanids) the title of Shah of Tabriz. About six out of ten troops are light cavalry (fighting with bows), with the remainder being heavy cavalry (fighting with lances, with both the mount and the rider clad in armor). The troops are generally divided into groups of 300–500 (battalion) and divided further into groups of 100 (company), 50 (platoon), and ten (squad). Substantial supplies are procured for the campaign, to eliminate the need for pillaging or raiding settlements. However, to ensure the capacity of conquered areas to fight is crushed, a curfew is established with those who break it being subject to corporal punishment; similarly, all arms (and anything of military use) are either seized or destroyed. The light cavalry is used as scouts – providing important intelligence such as the enemy's position and numbers. The light cavalry also harasses enemy troops with hit-and-run skirmishes, which also have the additional effect of startling them and keeping them on their toes. When attacking, the light cavalry fire at the vanguard; the concentrated firepower would create gaps in their formations – though in the event this is not enough, they attack in successive wages until a gap is created. Then, the light cavalry charge through the weakened vanguard using swords. Concurrently, the heavy cavalry – using the wedge formation to maximize the shock inflicted – charge at the flank(s) to initiate a rout. However, the mass projectile fire would be usually enough to decimate enemy forces so the heavy cavalry would only need to be sent to mop the army remnants. When encountering enemies with a stronger vanguard, however, the vanguard is deliberately avoided. Instead, Georgian troops out-flank the enemy and assault the vulnerable rear. If the enemy is not forced into a rout or decimated, Georgian troops falsely-retreat (using their superior mobility to prevent enemy troops into pressing into them); they then return to reinitiate the attack once enemy troops lower their guard (this period could range from moments to weeks). A strategy of attrition is used in the Siege of Tabriz. Tabriz is besieged from three sides. Incendiary arrows are used to damage infrastructure within the walls, while normal crossbow bolts are used to deal with the defenders; conversely, Georgian troops are shielded by assault covers. When the defenders are deemed weak enough, battering rams, ballistas, catapults, and scales/towers are used to target identified weak points such as city gates or impartial/damaged walls. Meanwhile, Aaliyah commissions the establishment of an "artillery corps" specializing in siege cannons and hand-cannons. Silver and copper are mined extensively – underpinning the economy. The Florentine florin and the Venetian ducat become accepted legal tenders (over the locally-minted dirhams), as large-scale transactions become more common. Foreign trade flourishes. Cotton is cultivated in Azerbaijan, while in the Armenian Highlands, wool is produced; these textile fibers are manufactured into cotton cloth and woolens, respectively. Cotton cloth and woolens are exported.
- Denmark: The Death of King Valdemar IV would shock the nation. With nobles fighting with each other on who should wear the crown, as well as the ongoing invasion by the Hanseatic League, a few nobles supporting Margret and her husband would murder one of the more powerful Nobel. In response, supporters of Henry III would attack the supporters of haanok. The army, also split between who should succeed the crown, became loyal to the two parties on succession. On December 16, A Civil war began with supporters and their army clashing against each other. The Danish Civil war is soon declared.
- Icelandic Dip: Prince Erik of Iceland (age 43) and the brother of former King Ólaf II is proposed as the King of Denmark.
- Kingdom of Scotland: In light of the rebellion in Ireland, King David II sends 2,000 men under his 16-year-old son and heir, Robert Bruce, to honor the alliance with his father-in-law and help suppress the Normans in the Pale before England catches wind of the events. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are further reinforced with the addition of 12 big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II conintues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also lead to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. Our request to France is repeated, we ask them again to renew the Auld Alliance and to include Ireland in it. [French Response] We negotiate an alliance with the Templar Order, restoring Castle Roslin and every other former Templar properties inside Scotland to Templar hands, while also urging our ally Ireland to enter the negotiations and restore Templar properties to join the alliance with the Templars, aimed against England when the time is approperiate and in return the Templars could reclaim their former properties in England. [Mod Response]
- Templars thank Scotland for giving back their property
- Hindustani Sultanate: The reconstruction of the Ghazni fortress is completed. The rebuilt fortified city of Balkh starts growing as a center of trade. The force of three tumen garrisoning Arakan settles down in the area of OTL Mrauk U and this city comes to be known as Tis Hazari (Tis Hazar meaning 30,000). The army men take local women as their wives and convert them. Feroze Khan also settles down in the same city with his army men and constructs a small palace, thus Tis Hazari becomes the capital of the Arakan region (The city of Usmanpur is at OTL Chittagong). The expansion of the navy continues. Several Venetian Merchants are invited to Khambhat from Alexandria (VENTIAN RESPONSE).
- Iceland: The population rises to 31.400 and the young king proclaims that Icelandic stability has returned.
- Swiss Confederacy: Werdenberg surrenders after another Swiss military victory. Count Albert II of Werdenberg-Heiligenberg is deposed and imprisoned in Zürich. Werdenberg proper, the Rheintal and Rheineck are incorporated into the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of Werdenberg, while Count Albert II's former possession of Heiligenberg north of Lake Constance is allowed to become an independent lordship. A burgomaster is elected by the people of the Canton of Sargans and subsequently Thomas Wagner is assigned to be the transitional governor of Werdenberg, again to be replaced by an elected burgomaster within a year. The branches of the Swiss military consolidate in Feldkirch and work on building more siege equipment. Initially there are 6,500 troops in Feldkirch, but a combination of aggressive recruiting in the new territories and reinforcements from the core of the Confederacy increases the number of 8,000. Having already captured a Montfortian border fortress in Feldkirch, the 8,000 troops march north to the County of Montfort's de facto capital of Bregenz and surround the city and besiege it using the equipment built in the past few years. (Algo needed) The Canton of St. Gallen sends an envoy to the independent villages of Gams and Sax-Forstegg, located in between parts of the new Canton of Werdenberg, suggesting they should join the new Canton of Werdenberg for logistical and defensive benefits. (Mod response) 5,000 Swiss mercenaries continue to aid Poland-Lithuania and King Wenceslaus IV of Bohemia against any aggression from the Austrian or Hungarian forces. The Central Council works on increasing the production of weapons for the military and also aiding the integration of the Cantons of Sargans and Werdenberg into the Confederacy by sending out missionaries and diplomats. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg urges the coalition forces to keep fighting at least until the Habsburg dynasty of Austria agrees to renounce its claims to any and all vassals to the west of its core nation, even suggesting Bohemia could claim at least some of Austria's territory north of the Danube. (Mod response if needed) In Chur, the Central Council finds Bishop of Chur Peter Gelyto has used church money for personal ends and generally mismanaged the bishopric financially, leading to the funding shortages that caused protests in the town. Outraged, the Central Council has Gelyto arrested and writes to Pope Nicholas V, urging him to officially remove Gelyto from the post and suggesting Frederick Capet, Abbot of Salem and brother of King Victor of France as a possible replacement. (Papal response) In the Cantons of Basel-City and Basel-Bishopric, rebuilding work begins to wind down, though some continues as there is still somewhat of a shortage of houses after the destruction of the 1356 earthquake. In Rorschach in the Canton of St. Gallen, boats to trade and fish across Lake Constance continue to be built. Johanna van Lenzburg and Peter of Geneva have a child, named Amadeus V in honour of Peter's father Amadeus III and his brother Amadeus IV; the ascension of Peter's younger brother Robert to the College of Cardinals is also celebrated.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V is outraged by the actions of Peter Gelyto. Gelyto is excommunicated and removed from his position of cardinal and bishop. Nicholas nominates Frederick Capet as Bishop of Chur and creates him cardinal to replace the corrupt Gelyto.
- Gams and Sax-Forstegg agree.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: In an attempt to secure Eastern Indochina, diplomats in Champa are ordered to request that King Che Mo becomes vassal to Dai Viet (Mod Response). With the success of the army in driving back Khmer troops across the river into Phnom Penh (22,000 Dai Viet troops still alive), Dai Viet forces are shipped across further down the river on rafts and canoes with the cannons being placed on the opposing river bank and begin to fire on the city. The troops after crossing lay siege to Phnom Penh with siege engines they construct from nearby resources (Algorithm/Mod Response). Efforts to construct gold mines in th Quang Nam province continue under trusted officials with interference from locals having been brought down to minimal. Efforts to expand irrigation in the North have reached a few snags after a monsoon overflooded the river costing the laborers portions of the irrigation systems they've managed to build and are now forced to rebuild. The roadwork in the South has been finished with the laborers assigned to the South being ordered to reinforce the defenses along the mountains bordering Lan Xang and to offer aid to the local farmers in planting and harvesting their crop. Under mysterious circumstances, the agarwood that has been confiscated from smugglers and placed in storage depots has been mysteriously disappearing in small quantities until an inventory check reported that a sizeable amount has disappeared. The Emperor has dispatched the Scarlet Dragons to secure the invaluable agarwood groves in southern Dai Viet while ordered his Minister of Internal Security to laucnh an invetigation into the missing supplies. The number of ships constructed this year by the shipbuilders only numbers nine ships due to the fact that there is a shortage of manpower as msot of Dai Viet's men are in the war. There have been rumors of underground gladiator pits that utilize slaves in cities across Dai Viet prompting the Emperor to order that local militia to investigate all possible underground gladiator pits. Bickering continues in the Imperial Court of Dai Viet between the Pro-China faction and the Pro-Independence faction with the majority of the court being Pro-China. The young Prince Quan has grown to be three years old and has been ordered brought back to the palace in the capital alongside Empress Sujin. Efforts by the Minister of Intelligence and Scarlet Dragons have managed to uncover the majority of the conspirators attempting to influence the young prince and they have been swiftly locked away without warning or notice to their families. Searching for a match for his young son, Emperor Chinh has begun combing through southern Dai Viet for matches that can bring further unity to north and south Dai Viet. The Dai Viet navy has reported that 16 of its ships are to remain in dock this year due to the particularly harsh monsoon that passed through northern Dai Viet. Blacksmiths across the Kingdom have reported iron shortages due to the men being away with the Emperor choosing to open imperial supplies to the blacksmiths for them to forge more tools for farmers. Work on the temples and churches across Dai Viet continue with the majority of the Buddhist temple being completed first due to the priority the Emperor has placed on them. The Nestorian churches continue to be built with interference in some places due to the belief that the Nestorian religion is inferior.
- Kingdom of Eiru: Rejecting the demands of the rebelling Hibero- Norman nobility as being an unreasonable attempt to maintain English colonisation of Eiru, the King is hauled up in Dublin castle and under siege by the rebels. Eoghan accuses the rebels of being in league with the English and while offers to negotiate with them uses the threat of England subjugating Ireland to rally the Gaelic chiefs to his cause. The Pale is held solely by the rebels Outside of the Pale some of the Hibero- Norman nobility side with the rebels but due to a lack of local support most of the countryside goes over to the King though Limerick, Cork, Waterford and Wexford all go over to the rebels. Eoghan ignores the rebelling coastal towns in favour of attacking the pale by bringing Norman castles to siege and constructing defensive works around them. At sea pirates sack Balbriggan and Malahide and ships are grabbed by them going between the coastal towns and everywhere else.
- Ui Neill: Eoghan has an army comprised of the Scots led by Robert the Bruce, the Ui Neill's under Eoghan, Maggennis of Iveagh and other Gaelic chiefdom's in the north of Ireland to invade the Pale from the north laying siege to Castle Roche to open the Dundalk pass.
- Lenister: In the south, Art Óg mac Murchadha Caomhánach of Lenister makes an army out of all the Gaelic chiefs south of Dublin who turned up and he leads an army to lay siege to Carrickmines castle to open the approach to the city of Dublin.
- Connacht: William Ua Cellaig of Connacht leads the Irish from west of the river Shannon across the Earldom of Kildare and lays siege to Trim castle after Maurice Fitzgerald's Gaelic auxiliaries don't turn out to fight and he is forced to haul himself up within Trim castle defending the western border of the Pale.
- Republic of Venice: Smelling new profits, the Austrians are offered 5,000 elite mercenaries, including siege weapons in exchange for 25,000 Venetian Ducates (five per soldier). Supplies and officers would come with the soldiers (HABSBURG/MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). The fortification program and massive army buildup continue, while trade with north africa flourishes. SECRET A defensive plan is drawn in case of an invasion from Padania, in which a defensive line of four layers if build reaching from Lake Garda to Forli. The forts will be set up along major roads and in less obvious spots enemy troops could slip through. The army is also ordered to be constantly at a size of 40,000 professional soldiers SECRET END Through his contact with Africa, news of an invitation from India reach Venice, and a delegation is sent to the land that is believed to be the very source of the spices that are so valuable on the Mediterranean markets. They bring presents of fine Murano glass and jewelry but they also bring technological, scientific and philosophical texts from the west. Aside from that, they are ordered to establish a direct spice route from India to Venice going via Ethiopia and Egypt from where Indian merchants send spices, tea and raw cotton to the Mediterranean (INDIAN RESPONSE, PLEASE). The papacy is kindly asked to reconsider the idea of a crusade against Egypt, because Venice has good ties to the relatively isolated Egypt and thus could put economic and diplomatic pressure to treat the Coptic Christians as equal citizens, and to secularize the state to some degree (PAPACY RESPONSE, PLEASE). Massive investments into the agricultural sector are done, diversifying the sorts of grain and vegetables cultivated and fishing being increased. These factors, relatively good harvests despite the cooler climate and the good infrastructure that makes medical aid more easily available cause a large population growth. A census is ordered in all Venetian held territory (including the now annexed former Federation of Romagna, the colonies of Greece and the Aegean and Corsica) and to plan future construction projects and tax collection (CENSUS, PLEASE). The textile industry, the agricultural sector and the spice trade are filling the Venetian treasuries, especially with increased trade with Georgia, from where the majority of raw cotton is imported.
- All venetian territory is 2,568,903
- Hindustani Response: The merchants are received by the Governor of Gujarat and the gifts are sent to the Siri Fort in Delhi. The books are stored in the Madrassas of Khambhat and Dhokla. Some of the Venetian Merchants meet with the Sultan in Delhi and the Sultan grants them unhindered access to all the parts of the Sultanate. All the merchants from Venice shall now be presented with a copper plate inscription affirming their right to travel and trade across the Sultanate. It is also decided to create a direct spice route from India to Venice.
- Sweden-Norway: The fleet (85 ships) splits up, half of it sails toward northern Jutland and the other half sails to guard the Swedish-Norwegian. A flanking maneuver is undertaken, the remaining 25,000 troops are split up. 12,500 march south toward the Hanseatic army, while the remaining 12,500 cross the Limfjord through Aggersund, performing a swinging arc, turning north, and trapping those Hanseatic forces directly between (Algo). Another 4,000 men are raised, mostly coming from Finland, although they are put in reserves back home. Haakon once again reiterates that he is prepared to enter negotiations.
- Kingdom of Portugal: King John I begins to look over the budget and notices that several thousaund Dinheiro are mysteriously missing from the budget. After leading an inquiry into the matter, it is found out that the king's younger brother and heir apparent Denis has been taking it for his personal use. In an episode that is known as the "battle of the two brothers" King John I challenges his brother to a duel (Not to the death).King John I has been extensively trained by his late father in dueling while his brother Denis has no formal training. (Mod response needed)
- Denis miraculously manages to win and scar John's ear.
- Kingdom of Padania: The Kingdom of Padania declares war on the Republic of Venice citing there recent actions against the papacy and Urbino as well as the build up along the Padinian border. Citing these reasons Cassono declares war and quickly allocates his army to move across the border taking his forces as one and daring the Venetians to engage him in the field Secret: he orders the fleet to set up a perimeter around the mainland and protect and not engage the Venetians unless engaged upon or they make attempts to land in Padanian controlled land. Florentine assassins are hired to execute the Doge of Venice and paid off to not accept any contracts against Cassono or any major Padanian official. This makes the cost of hiring these assassins to due this borderline astronomical due to the already naturally high costs to do such things.The forces under Cassono move quickly and set up a “Siege” on the city of Bologna this is designed to bait the forces of Venice into an open field engagement which would be beneficial to the forces under Cassono. End Secret.
- Nyazwe: Using the information gathered by the Maziso Ake from the south, the inkosi of the Vakadanwa organize a massive invasion of the south, using the rebuilt armies of Nyazwe for the awaited return and liberation of the Shona cities beyond the Limpopo. Having solidified his authority back home and completely reorganized the government to prevent another civil war of the magnitude of the Kaka War, Chatunga goes before the Hamadzese to announce his plans before the collected body of statesmen. At the gathering, Chatunga details his plans for a three-pronged invasion of the south, bringing all of the lands there back under Nyazwe's control, and re-establishing dominion over the south once and for all. He likewise states his plans to deal with the Nguni menace by crippling their ability to fight back, as well as destroying their society and culture using tactics taught to him by his father during his time as the head of old Zimbabwe's military forces. With the strategies in hand, the Vakadanwa organizes three field armies consisting of 9,200 troops each, all three of which are divided into 7,950 infantry and 1,250 cavalry. The remaining 7,650 troops are held in reserve back in Lusvingo by Chatunga as a personal guard force. The Maziso Ake are sent ahead of the Nyazwe forces and into the cities of the Nguni to inform all of the Shona residents that their brothers are returning to liberate them. They are encouraged to take up arms against their oppressors, and causes as much chaos as possible against the Nguni authorities. At the head of each of these armies are three men belonging to the newly-established rank of inkosi or marshal; the first army is commanded by Chatunga's eldest son Hondo in Thulamela, the second by Sibonakaliso at Mapumgubwe, and the third by the reformed general Itai at Lose. At the command of Chatunga, all three Nyazwe armies cross over the Limpopo River, and rapidly move on the various Nguni-controlled settlements in the south. Hondo and Sibonakaliso march to Kuputsa, where they confront the main Nguni army which had been organized to counter the Shona threat from the north; to the west, Itai circles around the two eastern armies and heads for Vangarepasi, liberating it from the Nguni oppressors and receiving a warm welcome from the Shona population there. These old citizens of Nyazwe celebrate the return of their northern brothers, and immediately provide lodging for the weary warriors of their homeland, and provide them with details on the potential locations of Nguni encampments in the region. Back at Kuputsa, the two Nyazwe armies face off against the Nguni army of some 15,000 warriors at the northernmost city in the southern regions. Using their superior mobility in the form of cavalry, the two armies of Nyazwe surround the Nguni army and pin them to a center position, preventing them from escaping and using the cavalry to kill any warriors who manage to escape the encirclement. In the far-west, the development of the frontier settlements continue without letup, as the migration of settlers from the core regions encourages the expansion of existing infrastructure in the land. The state manages to increase its annual budget as the number of deliquent taxpayers is reduced, with tax collectors finally getting back to their rounds and re-establishing themselves in several major settlements across the country. At the ports, the expansion of trade with the rest of the world has been significant thanks to the efforts of Munashe before and after the civil war. Sadly, Munashe's age has finally begun to effect his ability to operate independently. At the age of 71, Munashe finally dies from natural causes, having lived a full and prosperous wife. Predeceased by his Chinese wife, Sala, Munashe's legacy is carried on by their numerous children, who continue to play a major role in the economic development of Nyazwe.
- Japanese Empire: Disaster strikes this year as a convoy bound from the Luzon kingdoms is sunk in a typhoon. Gold bound for the Imperial mint now lies at the bottom of the ocean and crisis grips the Empire as this gold shipment was crucial to further efforts to prevent currency debasement and hence devaluing the of value of the Japanese Koban. This prompts the man now running a small operation in Iwami-Ginzan to approach the Emperor Yoshishege in Kyoto with an offer. Royal patronage and recognition of the Yamazuki families rights over the mine, in exchange the expanded mine will provide 50 percent of its gold to the currency board for minting and whatever else. Yoshishege is aghast that such a wealth of precious materials lay under his feet the entire time and he immediately agrees to the deal lauding this man, Ashitaka Yori as a hero of the Japanese empire. Royal geologists and prospectors are sent immediately to the mine to begin grasping how large and rich this mine will really be noticing that an abundance of silver is also located within the mine. The influx of gold and silver from the Iwami mine this year with Ashitaka having hoarded the materials to present to the currency board for just such an occasion floods the Currency board and a scramble is had to address now the completely opposite crisis. Overinundation of the market for gold and silver which would also effectively tank the value of the Koban, and in reality nearly every other currency in the region should it flood the East asian market. A plan is proposed to fill the currency gaps in the Gold Koban and the Gold and Silver Ichibuban while melting the rest down into Gold ingots were ten Koban and Silver ingots worth one Koban and stamped with a specialized and well guarded imperial seal already used on the other denominations of currency within the imperial currency. They are to be placed in storehouses across the empire and a decree is issues also to tackle the rampant corruption with gold and to only a minor degree silver which has plagued Japan the last ten years since implementation. All gold and silver not stamped with the specialized imperial seal only in the hands of the four Great Mints (with each having their own minting designation tagged onto the imperial seal) will be worthless and unacceptable as currency. This does beg the issue of cheap gold and silver flooding the market and the administrative minded Yoshishege opts to put strict controls on the gold and silver extraction bringing Imperial units to the mines to regulate and prevent overextraction of the metals and keep a close eye on the miners. The Expansion into Sakhalin and Manchuria continues lightly as less people than normal head to these destinations. Hokkaido seems to have been the primary subject of settlement this year as the population of Hokkaido promptly sits at nearly 65,000 and growing having nearly doubled over the last 20 years due to serious efforts to settle the islands. The replacement of the Japanese fleet continues as more new ships are sent out to replace the older vessels. In this though, more trade ships also adopt the new construction methods hoping to expand their longevity on the open seas. The ambassador from China previously sent has his lodgings upgraded and is set up directly in the Imperial palace as him and Yoshishege have become quite close becoming fast friends. The Kensei Order opens another Temple in Kyushu as their numbers expand to nearly 1,200 in total around all of Japan.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": In the North Sea there is banner which is becoming the fear of all danish sailors, that being the Flags of the Imperial and Lotharingian navy. As this flag is the sign of the Blockade, a newly instituted blockade of North Jutland Island. This blockade being the newest Imperial attempt to get the Swedish out of the Jutland North Island, as this is the northern most point of the Jutland peninsula. While the Royal Lotharingian army marches northward into Danish territory, together with the Imperial Praetorian guard. The Combined Imperial army of 11,000 marching into the city of Kolding, this being done with the Help of Cannons, trebuchets and Crossbowmen, all of whom surround the city fully with help of Lubeckian and Flensburger ships, the emperor promising taxation breaks for all navies that help the emperor. The Emperor even allowing Piracy on Swedish and Norwegian ships as this would disturb their supply lines, and give fortune to some of the Imperial merchants. The numbers of the Royal navies numbers having recovered from the wars with the English, the ship count being around 200 from what the knowledge that is there. King Charles now requiring all ships of the Lotharingian navy to have their own Name and Roman Numeral as to make counting and other such logistics easier. One of these ways to make the navy more efficient is the appointment of an admiral from the order of Bari. Βελισάριος Φωκάς (Belisarius Phokas) as he is known in Greek being a Local from the island of Karphatos, Phokas being employed by the Order of Bari in the combined war against the ottoman sultanate. So Charles now employs Phokas as Balthasar Phokas in the Lotharii Royal navy, or how it is known by many outside the empire as "La marine royal du Lorraine". While in Guelders the King and the parliament of Mechelen aprove their membership into the parliament although further talks are needed to determine how many seats would be given to the county. This being very important to keep the balance of the kingdom, and keep both the first, second and third estate happy. Although King Charles admits that he belives the Heyst charter to be outdated and now enough anymore, as it was created almost 50 years before. This without accounting the expansion of the Lotharingian realm and her inclusion of many more cities and nobles. Karl thus thinking od ways to improve the Mechelen parliament thus making it more central amd simplified. Charles tasking the Parliament itself to better herself with a new consitution, and making it something even the Emperor of Romans could agree too. In the Saharah صحراء السيدينية (shra' alsydynyh) seeing the Malian voyage سيدي إرميا الهلشتية (sydy ermya alhlshtyh) accepts the Proposal of the New Malian emperor Mansa Mustafa for safety against the Berbers. the Sidi being very happy to hear of Mansa Mustafa's forgiveness, the Sidi even asking if he would like to have his Son ميخائيل (Mikhiel) in his court to learn once more the Malian ways and to see what Pisacus' wife Mayrem had given Hendrickus(Malian Response). Michael having lived most of his live on the move, although now for the first time in his life he has a land to call his own. Pisacus now also finaly anouncing that the 30-year-old that was so loyal and yet so strange is in fact his son and heir to the Sidinate. Michael and his Mother Maryam being one of the only black people of the Sadiyanate, Pisacus striving for racial equality as to not discriminate against his own son or wife.
- Tian China:: The empire continues with its various projects throughout the year, until large parts of Nanjing catch fire and over 100,000 people are left homeless. However, rather than being a disaster, this is seen as an opportunity, and tens of thousands of those dislocated are now settled in the areas of Henan and the Yangzte which are in the process of being resettled, massively speeding up the process as thousands of new families move into the regions as a result. However, the great damage to the ancient city is still seen as a massive tragedy, and massive effort almost immediately begins to repair it as massive amounts of imperial funds begin financing its reconstruction, in the hopes of quickly repairing it to a state more beautiful than before. Some settlers are also moved into Taiwan and Manchuria from the Nanjing displaced.
- Poland-Lithuania: With the weakening of the walls of Vienna and realizing that further engagement in the conflict could lead to an imperial response Stanislaw I orders his troops to wait outside he city walls until negotiations finalizes. Reforms and infrastructure projects continue. The Polotsk fortifications continue to be upgraded.
Timor manages to crush Kharizm and seize control over all of the Samarkhand Emirate, spanning the Oxus River.
The conflict is unresolved in Denmark, but at this point it seems the participants really want to stabalize Denmark's government under a single ruler.
Albert Pigtail agrees with the Swiss peace deal if it means the five nation alliance will leave Vienna.
Champa heeds the call of Dai Viet to invade Cambodia with 4,000 troops.
All of Ajuuran revolts against Ethiopia's action against their water supply, which equally agitated both the moderate and radical populations. The ruler agrees to convert to Coptic Christianity, but he is expelled from the nation and forced into exile.
Local Albanian prince Karl Thopia siezes power over Durres in opposition to the Latin Empire. He proclaims himself Prince of Albania, and offers to remain as a nominal vassal of Romania in exchange for his autonomy. He petitions to the Republic of Venice for his support in exchange for free port access.
The Tian Dynasty of China suffers frequent attacks from hit-and-run raids of local Mongol Khanates, all organized by the Northern Yuan Dynasty. They particularly take advantage of navigating between the gaps of the ancient and decrepit Great Wall of China.
Settlements on the western coast of Greenland suffer severe depopulation from immigration and lack of sustainable agriculture. Most of Nuuk is abandoned and the population becomes nomadic.
- Kingdom of England: the old king has died, his son Edward the Black Prince is now king his first order of business is to secure a heir and to secure truce with all rivals especially Scotland as we ask for female member of royal family is available, we also ask Scotland to stop the unrest [Scottish responses],
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We could stop the unrest but we would like an end to the English persecution of Welsh and Cornish subjects in relation with their involvement to the previous war. If our terms are met we're open to trade in general and establishing trade routes more specifically. Also King David II offers his six-year-old daughter, Alison to a betrothal to the English King, Edward the Black Prince be married when she reaches the age of 16. (Also you are not fighting with anyone at the current moment.)
- English Dip: We agree to it all.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: The troops at Phnom Penh, now numbering at 17,000 men, continue to besiege the city with their siege engines (catapults, trebuchets, etc.) and cannons. The arrival of Champa's troops has bolstered Dai Viet forces up to 21,000 troops with cannons and siege engines (Algorithm/Mod Response). The Emperor expresses his disappointment at King Che Mo's for his refusal of vassalization, but does not pursue or press it any further. The investigation into the missing agarwood supplies has yielded minor leads to the group of nobles that had plotted to influence Prince Quan who still remain at large for the most part. With the severity of the situation, the Scarlet Dragons are ordered to takeover the investigation into the engimatic group of nobles so that the Minister of Intelligence can devote his efforts to cracking down on corruption throughout the bureaucracy. The majority of the construction efforts for temples and churches across the Kingdom have been completed for the most part with few exceptions remaining. The number of violators of the Slave Codes has proven an immense problem for the Kingdom to deal with especially when its resources are devoted elsewhere forcing the Kingdom to leave the violators alone for the most part. The Imperial Government has begun establishing and tightening security around the agarwood groves and the two gold mines that have only just been established in Quang Nam and northern Dai Viet. The shipbuilders have managed to turn out 11 ships this year as the shipyards recover from the particularly harsh monsoon from last year. The damage to the irrigation system inflicted by the monsoon of last year has been repaired with efforts to expand and improve the irrigation system underway once more. The laborers and slaves in southern Dai Viet have been ordered to begin work on the irrigation system in the region following drawn up plans from Imperial officials to improve crop yields across Dai Viet. The Pro-China and Pro-Independence factions of the court continue to press their points wherever they can in discussions with the Emperor forcing him to ban talk of China relations from the court until the war with the Khmer is resolved as he needs a united court to fight the war. War weariness spreads across the Kingdom with the rules forbidding slaves from competing without a permit being suspended until the war ends as well as an increased patronage of enterainment troupes across the Kingdom to keep the populace content. Officials in southern Dai Viet have run into problems regarding the locals as efforts to turn out locals as officials have been decreased. The first batch of peasant children from the reformed examination continue to be trained and have been assigned to officials thorughout the kingdom as apprentices to learn. After careful consideration, the Emperor has decided to expand his reforms to the officer training schools as well and has authorized a search for candidates to begin across the Kingdom with test beiing only implemented in cities due to the prioritization of resources elsewhere by the government. Reports from the Dai Viet navy indicate that the number of smugglers have declined and is assumed to be a result of tighter security across the Kingdom on agarwood and gold. Iron shortages for the most part have been mitigated by the opening of Imperial stores across the Kingdom with the food in the stores being used to provide food to the local populace near the stores.
- Empire of Ethiopia: Hearing of the nation’s revolt against the Ethiopian invasion, the Emperor resolves to crush the rebels and assert Ethiopian dominance in the southern Horn of Africa. 3,000 men of the Imperial Army are dedicated to maintaining control of the Sultanate’s key water supplies, including all wells and the two major rivers. Access to the water is heavily restricted, with water mainly being reserved for the Imperial Army. The Emperor also takes the 15,000 men in Mogadishu and marches against the rebel army gathering near Mogadishu, aiming to crush it in a decisive battle before it can grow too large [ALGO NEEDED]. In Ethiopia the Empire continues to push cotton growth, providing tax cuts and aid to farmers who undertake cotton growing. The Empire also continues to improve its bureaucracy and administration. Parchment records become increasingly used to keep records, while a room at the Imperial Palace at Barari is designated as a file room for the parchment records, which which contain detailed tax and tariff revenue records. Parchment is used to keep inventories of Imperial records and to keep tabs on the treasury. Additionally, the Emperor requires that each Minister submit a report to him at the monthly meeting of the Imperial Council in the form of parchment. This is to encourage literacy within the Empire, as those seeking a job in the Imperial Ministries are required to be literate. As a result of the increase in literacy and parchment, a new industry emerges as farmers grow papyrus and certain tradesmen establish shops to produce parchment. The Ethiopian delegates in Europe stay in Rome and meet with the Pope. There they gift him a copy of the Kebra Nagast, and explain to him Ethiopia’s history and the tale of the Empire’s conversion to Christianity as well as its conflict with the East African Muslims. The delegates also take time to explore the city, and are amazed at the stunning churches and cathedrals. Ethiopian clergymen also mingle with Catholic philosophers and scholars to discuss and debate theology. The delegates are also surprised when they are introduced to the Roman Coptic community. The delegates do not understand how Coptics live in Rome, but are informed of how these optics fled Egypt to Europe. To the shock and anger of some of the delegates, namely a few extremely Orthodox conservative clergymen, the Coptics in Rome have slowly been integrating Latin and Catholic religious rites into their religion. While most of the delegation is unphazed by this, a few are disturbed by the idea that the Coptics have adopted Catholic traditions.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: The Christian army takes over Calafat and Vidin, they build a bridge for the border after that the army of nicholas alexandre takes over the Dobroudja region with an army of 23,000 knights the war is over with the Vidinites hopefully well they are establishing an Orthodox church to dominate the region with the authorities a Bulgarian, was escaped from prison and begins to capture a Wallachian knight the minister report to the Bassarab House that there is a Bulgarian spy anyway, a delegate who comes from the Byzantine Empire makes a visit to the Wallachian cities and is take time well the organization of the property and the voidove of the Wallachia they are put a very separatist role, the trade is first role and the others are in citizen order and something else etc. The abesse pay the role with the minister of property and among's church place with soldiers it improves with a good training organization the builder of the property begins to build boats on their coast in the region of Constanta the council to establish a new law to improve in each generation of generation Nicholas suggests to the council a suggestion, if the abbes and the abesses reign to the church he could also occupy the village with guards but they agree with that the idea is widespread throughout the Wallachia region.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II orders the dispatchment of exploration ships and a dozen (25 men and 25 women) of settlers to assist our ally Iceland in their endevours, which would no doubt benefit us, too, as Greenland was a major source of walrus ivory and the Icelandic stocks that keep our profitable ivory trade going keep depleting. The general idea is to keep sending more settlers each year, providing Iceland with a steady flow of settlers for Greenland. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are further reinforced with the addition of dozen big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II conintues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also lead to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. A census is ordered around Scotland (which includes the Isle of Mann and Berwick upon Tweed or South Berwick as we call it) and in order to adjust our policies for more effecient tax collection and better located future construction projects. [CENSUS, PLEASE].
- Your population is 403,568.
- Iceland accepts.
- Kingdom of France: King Victor appoints new advisors, including a Jean of Narbonne, who soon becomes the king's right hand man. He also appoints a group of new record-keepers and scribes to serve the court of France. Together, they will chronicle the history of the kingdom, and also copy manuscripts for the Royal Library at the Louvre Palace.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: Our request to France is repeated, we ask them again to renew the Auld Alliance and to include Ireland in it.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: With the construction of the fortress of Ghazni and control over Kabul, the Kabul valley is now firmly under the control of the Sultanate. The Sulaiman Mountains, the best horse breeding area in the world, is brought under the purview of the Diwan-i-Mamalik (Department of the Military) and the Diwan-i-Mamalik establishes contact with the traders of the region to procure the best horses of the military of the Sultanate. The practice of branding horses, continues and the new leader of the military, General Feroze Khan Khilji reinvigorates the military, conducting regular inspections and conducting exercises, he travels extensively around the country. After many decades, the Sultanate’s Army has a leader of the stature of the Great General Malik Kafur. Several Indian merchants travel to Venice on behalf of the Sultan and present many gifts to the Doge of Venice. Regular travel of merchants now exists between the two nations. Similar copper plate inscriptions (read: right to travel and trade across the Sultanate) are now granted to all Ethiopian and Egyptian merchants. The government continues its activities to support trade, having recognized trade as an important activity. Serais and roads continue to be constructed with new roads being constructed in Bengal. The postal system continues to be expanded. The government starts by standardizing and establishing bazaars in all the cities and towns of the Sultanate including the new garrison towns. The bureaucracy is now capable and large enough to properly regulate these bazaars. The Navy continues to be expanded and starts patrolling the shipping lanes to and from Ethiopia. Trade with the island of Socotra is once again well established. The Muslim trading community has also grown and is well established in most of the major cities. The port city of Bharuch starts rising in importance.
- Georgia: While the Georgians manage to occupy parts of northwest Persia, they are ultimately repelled from Tabriz. The Queen tries to distract the court from this unsuccessful start to the Tabriz campaign by throwing a party using produce (wine, oil, etc.) plundered from border towns and cities. Similarly, she sends Zekariya on a diplomatic embassy to Trebizond and preaches on her realm's role as the "bastion of Christianity and Hellenism" in the East. Unable to adopt the warrior-king image due to her sex, she solidifies her authority by maintaining the stringent observation of court etiquette and protocol. She also demands that her courtiers refer to her as Tamar II–once again reserving the usage of "Aaliyah" to her family and close friends. Tamar II convenes all members of the House of Hulagu residing in Georgia and decides to give her first-cousin (and the nephew of her paternal grandmother Oljath), Paul, de jure control over Tabriz as a vassal of the Georgian Crown. Paul, while well-educated in law and politics, and Orthodox in faith, was chosen due to his docility and compliance with authority. Once again, 30,000 troops (60 percent of which are light cavalry, the remainder being heavy cavalry) are sent again to besiege Tabriz. Grain is purchased from both domestic and overseas markets, while weapons are procured from private workshops; these are stockpiled in the border city of Jugha. To weaken their capacity to wage war, the countryside is burned and the peasants are sent to other settlements to warn them of Georgian encroachment; this incites fear within the populace and also sends an influx of refugees to major cities (including Tabriz itself) – thus exhausting Persian resources. Any sent field army is annihilated. The light cavalry first conduct reconnaissance while harassing enemy troops with hit-and-run skirmishes. Elements of psychological warfare are used. For example, soldiers are told to light multiple fires during camps or to use multiple mounts to create the illusion of an extremely large expedition force. To achieve the same effect, the army is split into three army groups which either attack the enemy simultaneously or in successive waves. Generally, horse–archers (elite troops at the back) fire at the vanguard to create gaps. This is done in successive wages until a gap is created. Then, the light cavalry charge through the gaps with sabers. Usually, the arrow fire would be sufficient to decimate the enemy but if it is not, then heavy cavalry – using the wedge formation to maximize inflicted shock – charge at the flank(s) to initiate an enemy rout. If the vanguard is too strong, Georgian troops simply out-flank them and assault the rear. On the contrary, if the field army is smaller by a large margin, Georgian troops encircle or partially encircle them (arrow fire would be directed through the created "opening"). If the Georgian troops cannot inflict a loss, they retreat (exploiting superior mobility); they reinitiate the attack once the enemy lowers their guard (this period could range from moments to weeks). Tabriz is encircled to prevent any relief force from reaching the city. The surrounding elevation is used to their advantage as trebuchets and ballistas are used placed in nearby hills to launch projectiles into the interior of the city. However, most siege engines are placed at the city's gates; the main gate itself is bombarded by multiple cannons manned by the new Artillery Corps. Georgian troops fire at defenders from assault towers, which also provide protection. Asides from conventional arrows and bolts, they shoot with incendiary versions of these to damage wooden buildings. To hasten a breach, low sections of the walls are scaled using ramparts and escalades – with Georgian troops receiving the cover of arrows from dismounted light cavalry. Silver and copper are mined extensively – underpinning the economy. Foreign trade flourishes and brings much wealth to Georgia. Cotton cloth and woolens are exported, as well as felt, wine, and enamel.
- Mali Empire: Mansa Mustafa's character was definitely not as charismatic or strong-willed as either the legends of his father or grandfather had been painted as. The more detailed biographies we have of the Mali rulers from this point forward described him as often nervous, almost paranoid, slow to speak and frequently bored with public life. He would rarely meet to negotiate people directly, but instead would meet with his council behind a screen with his chief minister speaking on his behalf. Still, he did continue the same policies of maintaining Mali's economic domination of the African Silk road, as well as the prosperous tributary system of Nigeria. The Manding education system continues to spread the Yuniyyah sect of Islam into the newer territories south of Mali, along with facilitating the Manding secret societies in that region. Mustafa's expeditions early in his reign helped to expand Mali's territory up the Berber coast toward the southern border of Morocco. Upon receiving back the expedition to the lands of Pisacus, Mansa Mustafa welcomes his son Mikhail to live in the court of Niani, where his given a place of honor and heavily protected. Maryam, the former concubine of Mansa Musa, had given to her husband a golden pendant with the image of an eagle on it. These expeditions north helped to facilitate further expansion and development of the navy of Mali, paritculalry allowing them to resupply their colonies in the Gogardes Islands. However, this also came with great difficulties in his court as well. Upon ascending to the throne of Mali, Mansa Mustafa immediately lost direct authority over the southern regions that his father Ayyob had previously assumed into the crown, in accordance to his father's last will. Much of this had fallen under the influence of two of Ayyob's trusted vassals, Yaqub Al-Shams (King of Jabal Asada) and Umar Al-Qamar (King of Futa Jallon). Mustafa only maintained control over the Bonaman Kingdom, for which Yaqub expected it to be sold to him in the coming years. The children of Baraq, led by the patriarch Yaqub, had gained a prestigious reputation in the domination of the southern regions, and was already enjoying a kind of autonomy outside of the influence of the Mansa. Indeed, by the end of the 1360s the Shams family was already starting to mint coins in their own image. Mustafa's younger brother, Dawud, was placed in charge as the regent of Kanem-Bornu, which was a very tenuous position after the civil war in the days of Abu Bakr III. For that reason, Mustafa enacted heavy restrictions on the post of regent, hoping to prevent Dawud from being able to sieze power as Emperor in his own right. Mansa Mustafa sends an expedition to our trading partner in the north, Hispania, asking if we can purchase some quality hand cannons and hire shiprwrights to organize our navy. Mustafa also offers to slightly loosen some of the trading tariffs going to Europe, in order to allow their re-exporting to compete wtih the exclusive Venetian trade to Egypt. (HISPANIA RESPONSE)
- Iceland: News that Former King Ólaf II’s death of unknown causes echo through the country and a massive funeral was held and The Upper Council invites the Kings of Scotland and Sweden to attend the funeral, Prince Erik takes over as regent. As the situation in Greenland worsens King Domnhall asks the Kings of Scotland, Ireland and Sweden for 750 settlers each but not Ireland (Swedish and Scottish and Irish Response needed).
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: King David II attends his ally's King Olaf II funeral in Reykjavik.
- Icelandic Response: We thank David’s attendance and also The Scottish settlement is named Skotaland and the Swedish Settlement Hákonsbær.
- Sweden-Norway: 750 Swedes and Norwegians flee to Greenland due to the war and economic hardship.
- Republic of Venice: Knowing that Durazzo is a strategic point, the Venetian city guards and naval infanterists immediately arrest the young prince, as the Senate has agreed to allow Albania to freely use the port, however, only for civilian uses for now, military usage can only be allowed when Albania has proven itself as a good ally. This matter is rushed though, as there are way more pressurring matters concerning the safety of the Republic. When the declaration of war from Padania is arriving in Venice, Doge della Scala is outraged but not surprised. The casus belli (and the fact that the excuse is outdated for at least a decade) becomes one of the most popular jokes of the court, and the Padanian King is mocked by commoners and nobles alike. The papacy is asked to back the Venetians in this case, as they have humbly retreated from lands that belong to the papacy or the nation of Urbino and are now in a defensive position against a foe that is driven by the mortal sins of greed and envy, trying to loot Venice and all its accomplishments. (PAPACY RESPONSE PLEASE) The battle tested army of 40,000 men is called, the Arsenali of Venice, Chania and Ravenna work day and night to provide the much needed weaponry and equipment. Especially the food rations are carefully calculated in orientation to the ancient Roman army, where a soldier is given two warm meals a day, including rations of hardtack and occasional fresh produce. The main component this time will be pasta and wheat bread, with additional smoked ham or fish, along with some cheese to ensure the fat and protein intake. Every army is given a smaller flock of pigs and goats, to keep a mobile supply of meat and milk. The navy, meanwhile, is ordered to contain the Padanian navy in the Thyrrhanean sea, with 400 vessels forming a blockade with the base in Bastia, Corsica. Large portions of the Corsican military are mobilized as well, and Corse and Monacan pirates begin to make the Ligurian gulf dangerous terrain. In Bologna meanwhile, the heavy fortifications of the city can prevail, but due to knowledge of Cassonos tactics from the civil war both the Doge-General and the Marshal Ordelaffi agree to not engage in an open battle. SECRET Large amounts of wood, stone, grain and oil are smuggled into the city, to build defensive structures and trebuchets with which the invaders can be held at bay. The oil can be used to produce flammable projectiles or to grease the trebuchets. The city walls are enforced once again massively with extra rocks and woodworks. A large number (3,000) of light archer-cavalrists are brought from Crimea as well, these Tartar soldiers will be used for small skirmishes and raids in particular. The high command also decides to split the 40,000 men, keeping 25,000 in the field and leaving the others mobilized guarding the border more up north. SECRET END The fielded men retreat to a hilly location near Apennin mountains, close to Bologna, with the 3,000 Tartars regularly harass the Padanian camps at night, shooting flaming arrows and generally keeping the men awake, preventing them from sleep and wearing down their morale. Smaller raiding parties will loure the Padanian forces into more mountainous terrain by pretending to attack with cavalry charges, stretching the camp and siege forces further away from their original target. They are dragged to the Tuscan Apennin mountains where the armies shall meet in the mountains, with Venice having a high ground. The armies meet at the 25th of April 1368 in the Appennin hills, the battle becomes known as “The Battle of Saint Marcus Day”, as it is fought on the day of the patron saint of Venice. Marshall Ordelaffi “the savage” orders cannons to be set up at the defensive positions and at high elevations further away from the battlefield. 18,000 infanterists are fielded there, with 2,000 heavy cavalerists being hidden behind a hill, and ambush the Padanians on their right flank. After some time, the 3,000 Tartars will join the battle and mow the enemy down with their short bows. The Padanian army would find itself (during the begin of the battle) in a position between two hills, from where the battle is fought. (ALGO, PLEASE) The industry, despite the war, keeps generating enough profit to sustain a healthy economy in Venice.
- Swiss Confederacy: With the Swiss victory in Bregenz, Count William II of Montfort is deposed and, like former Count John of Werdenberg-Sargans and former Count Albert II of Werdenberg-Heiligenberg, imprisoned in Zürich. His territories, extending north to Tettnang and south to Feldkirch bordering the Cantons of Sargans and Werdenberg, are entered into the Swiss Confederacy as the Canton of Montfort. Many civilians in the Montfortian cities are pleased at the removal of Habsburg domination from the region. The Canton of Werdenberg elects a burgomaster and Thomas Wagner returns to the military, with Heinrich II von Lenzburg being appointed the transitional governor of Montfort. Having now established a path with which the Swiss military could assist Bavaria (through the neutral Prince-Bishopric of Augsburg, which borders both the Canton of Montfort and the Duchy of Bavaria), the Central Council decides not to push any further militarily for the time being and instead focus on consolidating the newly gained territories. The 6,000 surviving troops from the Battle of Bregenz work on improving the fortifications of the conquered cities of Bregenz, Tettnang, Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort and Werdenberg in the Canton of Werdenberg. The burgomaster of the Canton of Sargans sends an envoy to the town of Freudenberg, formerly a protectorate of the County of Werdenberg-Heiligenberg but now largely surrounded by the Canton of Sargans, suggesting that Freudenberg join the Canton of Sargans to recover the trade and defensive benefits it previously had as a protectorate. (Mod response) The Central Council continues to send missionaries and diplomats into the Cantons of Sargans, Werdenberg and Montfort to help their integration into the Confederacy. With the fighting in Vienna having ground to a halt, the 5,000 Swiss mercenaries there are pulled back, though kept in the vicinity of the city in case fighting breaks out again before diplomatic negotiations are finished. The Central Council, led by Ulrich VI von Lenzburg, proposes the Treaty of Augsburg to resolve the conflict, in the neutral city of Augsburg. (Hungary response) (Poland-Lithuania response) (Mod response for Austria, Bavaria, Bohemia) The Central Council also plays close attention to the conflict that has broken out between Padania and Venice, though they do not take any official position yet, instead waiting to see what position Pope Nicholas V will take. Domestically, the government works on improving the roads connecting the Cantons of Chur, St. Gallen and Toggenburg to the new Cantons of Sargans and Werdenberg to aid their integration into the Confederacy. The beguinage in Lucerne is completed and enters into use.
- Freudenburg agrees.
- Papal States: Pope Nicholas V is outraged by the letter that he received last year from the Doge of Venice, asking that no Crusade be called against Egypt. After having talked with the Roman Curia, the pope sees this only as an excuse to protect their commercial partners and not true Christian virtue. The pontiff can tolerate that they have commercial treaties, but when a Crusade is called against these heathen, the nations must broke ties and fight for the good of Christendom. Seeing that the Doge has so little zeal for the Christian Church, being moved only by the greed and maybe even reaching the point of selling Christian Europe to the Muslims if this can give him money, Pope Nicholas V excommunicate the Doge of Venice and declare that all treaties made by Christians nations with Venice are declared null and void. He also places an interdict over Venice, banishing that rites and services of the Church be done in Venetian territory. This will only be lifted if Mastine della Scala is deposed and a new and pious Doge is choose to replace him. However, the pope will stay neutral in the conflict between Venice and Padania. The construction of the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory continues, with its conclusion being estimated to 1410. With the guidance of Cardinal General Comissary Robert of Geneva, new troops are trained in the military centers across the Papal States and ships are produced in the shipyards of Civitavecchia and Ostia. The pontiff orders that the streets of Rome start to be paved The Holy Father creates as cardinal Niccolò Vanni (Papal States).The Workers of Charity continues to help the poor of Ostia. The Orphanage of Ostia continues to give shelter to abandoned children. Elena Cimorelli continues to write about her visions.
- Kingdom of Portugal: In an effort to reorganize the army, King John I creates the rank of Field Marshal. The field Marshal rank will only be granted by the king and is in overall charge of the army. Meanwhile, the army sees further training drills and new equipment being introduced to them.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: As the war has finally concluded, the time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines begins, expecting to be completed by 1370. Literature and culture continues to develop at a priority degree, sparking the formation of market places and a prospering and economically powerful trade route being set up along the roads of the city-states in the Toltec Alliance. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Purepecha-Nahuatl. The Toltec war machine continues to be guided into perfection under the leadership of Uakusï Tonauac and his military advisors. Cazonci Nalhen begins teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, seeing as he will be the rightful heir. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, begin training as warriors for the Empire, so to imprint their minds on the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in the coming times. In the Chichimecan state, now casually referred to as Teōmatācāyōtl (State of Faith), Iuizoh gives birth to her first daughter, Chen. The priest Tepeu continues his teachings to Yaluk and the people of the Chichimeca.
- Japanese Empire: The imperial standard Koban finally stabilizes as the influx of gold and silver coming from the Iwami-Ginzan, Toi, Tada, and Taishu mines is able to securely and confidently post as the Currency of Japan. While the Toi and Iwami mines are relatively new they are expanded as needed and in order to control the amount of gold comming out of the mines, Imperial garrisons are stationed and a clear cut administrative process is developed to catalogue any and all gold comming out of the mines. The Japanese trade fleet continues to expand as the heavier ships now enter service to allow for greater storage, defense, and logevity. The expansion of the Sakhalin and Manchurian settlement opportunities continues with the towns in Manchuria continuing to expand lightly and the Garrison of the Sakhalin settlements securing more territory farther north driving much of the Ainu and Evnikh populations further to the northern tip of the island. The final island in the chain of the Kurils is finally secured as well with a small outpost established to act as a small supply point for fishermen, and explorers. As the army continues to grow another incremental update is made to the cannons and hand cannons of the army. The Hand cannons have their barrels elongated and the munitions are scaled down to focus more on penetrating power rather than straight mass to do damage. The larger artillery cannons, however, see a more noted increase in their reliability to focus on working in incliment weather on land, and to more effectively survive sea conditions for the ships. The Great Atakabune are now able to carry more cannons with about 16 in total. Six per side, two facing forward and two facing backward. Lesser numbers of cannons are loaded onto the medium sized Atakabune and just two on the light atakebune which rely more heavily on the heavy hand cannons employed by its crewmen. The Imperial navy ventures farther south as its strength once again begins to reach a normal size with about 30 ships patrolling the south china sea routes, another 50 patrolling the routes between the luzon kingdoms and the rest focusing on the waters nearer to Japan. With the effective manpower of Japan in terms of the military, the Imperial army sees an expansion - however, not in the traditional sense of manpower. A large military academy is opened nearby to Kyoto looking to more traditionally train the officers of its army. However, the issue of the Nobility mixing with the commoners comes up as this academy seeks to increase the cohesion between the armies officers. The Emperor, however, effectively quashes this as Yoshishege attends multiple seminars opting to learn more about the military. The commoner teacher having been an officer since the wars with the Yuan is commended much to the surprise of many noble officers. With the emperor showing such appreciation for a commoner and valuing his knowledge many of the nobles relent and study under the man with no further issue. The mixing of some Chinese cultral traditions with Japanese in Kyoto spurs an interest nationwide in Chinese texts and culture with it becomming somewhat of a serious commodity to acquire as many of the tenants of Confuscianism syncronizes well with their Shinto belief systems. This also influences the development of philosophies and art within the country. This seems to have been spurred on highly by the developing friendship between Kong Ren and Emperor Yoshishege and their conversations over what are seen as golden eras of both Japan and China. Speaking of the Heian and Tang dynasty periods of Japan as their own respective golden eras. This conversation has led to the study of texts regarding both the Tang and the Heian periods which over the last few years have begun to disseminate as many nobles from the four noble houses have begun to take up the same studies.
- Sweden-Norway: The Treaty of Kolding is signed with the Hanseatic League and the Holy Roman Empire, ending hostilities between the three forces. The terms include; 1) The Hanseatic League receiving compensation for all goods and services interrupted or seized by Swedish ships, with Hanseatic rights returning in full to Swedish towns and cities where applicable, especially in Stockholm. 2) No member of the Baltic Quarter of the Hanseatic League being at war with one another for 50 years. 3) The Counties of Jutland and Schleswig becoming members of the Holy Roman Empire. Schleswig will become an ally of the core Hanseatic states, effectively becoming integrated into the trade-governing apparatus.This does not remove their vassalage to the Kingdom of Denmark, it only places some parts of Denmark under the Holy Roman Empire. 4) The Kattegat remaining free of toll for any ship bearing a Hanseatic flag or sigil. 5) The salt embargoes enacted on Denmark and Sweden being ended by the Hanseatic League. 6) Sweden retaining fishing rights around Jutland. and lastly 7) Queen Margaret, wife of King Haakon, being recognized by all parties involved as the Queen of Denmark. As agreed in the treaty, Sweden-Norway (25,000 men strong) (Algo) launches an attack against the Danish usurpers, together with the Hanseatic League, in order to restore order. The 6,000 men raised last year are put to use, they land in northern Zealand, away from the main army, where they attempt to raid camps behind enemy lines, harrying the supply lines of the Danish nobles who refuse to accept Margaret as their Queen.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": After a delegation from Mali meets with سيدي إرميا الهلشتية (sydy ermya alhlshtyh), the sidi made plans for his son ميخائيل (Mikhiel) to go to Mali. In Mali, Michael would act as Diplomat and ambasador, where he can visit the house where he was born. Michael being one of the first cases of an Afro--European, an ethnic mixture that hasn't happend a lot since the times of the Romans. One of the first jobs Michael does while on his way to Mali is making an agreement with the Imraguen tribe. As although they are bigger, the tribe is less hierachical and more nomadic then the Sadiyanate. أسلام ابن فاريس (aslam abn faris) the Local chief of the Imraguen tribe, being given some gifts like European textile and small wooden statue. This being given by Michael as a sign of good faith, So thinks of some plausible agreements both the Imraguen and the Saharawi Lotharri can agree to. His deal being :the sharing of Saharawi technology, The use of Kambina cities for suplies and the Military and naval protection from raiders or other Nomadic tribes, in return, Michael requests them to recognise the Sidi as theirs and allow Saharawi traders to pass trough their land (Mod Response). With this agreement made, Michael tells the Christian and Muslim Explorers of sadiyanate about the excomunication of all Saharawi by the supreme pontiff the Bishop of Rome. Michael telling them that the Pope does not want equality and prosperity to the سيدي إرميا الهلشتية (sydy ermya alhlshtyh) and all his folowers. After this all Michael moves from the tribal land to the Malian capital and court city of Niani. In Kolding the city where the Imperial forces only a year ago attacked, the Emperor, the queen of Denmark, the Swedish king and the Burgmeister of Lubeck sign a peace treaty. The emperor calling the war a succes as Jutland is now part of the Holy roman empire, and a fre of toll Danish straight. Emperor Charles telling the Imperial diet, that this is part of a new focus of the empire. A focus on giving the sacred empire more natural borders, which are easier to defend. while on the sea's the Dano-Lubecker war has proven the effectiveness of a navy and the Praetorian guard, as they were able to halt advances and keep enemy suplies low. Βελισάριος Φωκάς (Belisarius Phokas) the admiral of Lotharingia has shown his skills thus making the name Balthasar Phokas known throughout Lotharingia and the rest of the empire. These moves giving popularity to emperor charles and the empire, Charles being called "Karl the Reformer". Although he does want reform he agrees with the Mechelen Parliament to wait to admit Guelders to the Parliament. This being agreed on due to the great need to reform the Parliament and centralise the state with it. Where there are ellements of both the army and the navy who are also bound to the Parliament, this in return for less taxation on royal income and housing. This new agreement would also put into paper who is to defend crownlands such as the Channel Islands, as this all is not legaly known.
- Kingdom of Padinia: The 13,000 that were in direct siege of Bologna take the bait of the Venetians and follow them. Secret: Using the smaller force of 7,000 they follow and prepare for a counter attack on the Venetian force when they fully engage. End Secret. Upon arrival at the hills and discovery of the cannons and other large set up of the Venetians Cassono laughs and says, “They think siege weapons can be used well in the field shows how desperate they are to stop me.” Secret: He sends a force of 500 archers and 250 swordsman on a flanking route to eliminate the men manning these cannons and blow them up. He then orders his force of 15k to wait until they know for sure the venetians are fully engaged to counter attack. The Padanian economy suffers minor effects due to the war only being fought on Venetian territory so far. The hit to overseas trade is weathered well due to the amount of banking and internal economical power Padania has gained over the last 40 plus years. Excommunication by the pope is met with little surprise from the Padanians though much gratitude. The minor victory is met with great joy from Padania and Cassono officially gains the nickname Cassono “The unbeaten” Della Torre. Following this victory he begins the official siege of Bologna.
Nyazwe troops at Kuputsa successfully crush the Nguni forces assembled at the city, liberating it from their control and reuniting its people with Nyazwe. After resting for a brief period, the warriors of the north continue on their way into the south, pursuing the fleeing Nguni armies deeper into the region. Hoping to surround and destroy these retreating forces, Inkosi Itai and his army proceed east along the road from Vangarepasi toward Kunzwa, where the inhabitants welcome the returning Shona armies into the city. The Nguni garrison had been driven from the city days before the Nyazwe army appeared, with the leaders of the population there acknowledging the advice of the Maziso Ake and taking up arms against the occupying forces. Several other cities in the region have also taken heed of this information, forcing the Nguni to release control over their positions of power and flee toward the far east, where they hope to gain refuge near their capital of Oyengweni. In anticipation of a battle at that city, the vessels of the Zvikepe have been sent to blockade the city and prevent any supplies from reaching the Nguni inhabitants by way of the sea, ensuring that once the main Nyazwe armies arrive from the north the city will have been deprive of any resupply. Following their victory at Kuputsa, Inkosi Hondo and Inkosi Sibonakaliso split their forces before proceeding along the roads to the south, with Hondo moving to liberate the namesake city of his grandfather, Akashinga, while Sibonakaliso moves east to take the city of Mbombela. The advances into the region are brought to a brief pause to allow the troops to rest from their journey, while the cavalry elements of the three armies move to scout the surrounding lands and take out any of the Nguni war parties still present in the region.Up north, the restoration of the lands devastated by the civil war continue under the direction of the Ministry of Land, which has assessed which sections of the nation need to be restored or completely rebuilt. So far, the damage of the civil war was thankfully restricted to three out of the ten northern districts of Nyazwe, allowing the government to concentrate its resources and organize the appropriate measures needed to begin reconstruction effects. The cities of Malumba, Thulamela, and Mapumgubwe are cited as requiring complete renovations of their walls, Lose and Kusvika needing replanting of crops in the land after over-havesting by troops residing in the land, and Manyikeni a complete revitalization of its workforce following the conscription policies of Wataida regarding its male population. In the western frontier, the effects of the war back in the core territories encouraged many hundreds of families to move out into the regions of Okavango Delta, where sorghum cultivation and cattle rearing have proven to be successful sources of income for the new inhabitants of the region. The city of Katima Mulilo is officially designated as a guta of the Sixth District of Nyazwe, while Gantsi is established as the new district capital of the Kumadokero region of OTL Namibia. Gantsi's population ballooned from about a thousand prior to the Kaka War to more than three thousand residents, a sixth of which consist of the local military garrison. Further to the southwest, Nzou Inogara has continued to grow as a center of trade with the Khoisan people, who continue to settle down in and around the settlement as a minority population, taking whatever work the Shona inhabitants will offer them. In exchange for their generosity, the Khoisan have provided the citizens of Nyazwe knowledge of local hunting grounds for game and known sources of water where additional settlements may possibly be established.
- You lost the Algo big dog. Dont count your chickens. Also fair warning, do not expand into unorganized territory while your at war and embarking on a decades long recovery from a civil war. -Feud
- Latin Empire of Romania: This year, Emperor William I de la Roche is surprised to find the assertion of control over Albania by Prince Karl Thopia. However, the emperor sends his diplomatic envoys to Prince Karl, and an agreement is struck whereby the Prince will become the King of Albania, underneath the Latin Emperor of Romania. Now, Karl Thopia will be a direct vassal of the Emperor (instead of a lord underneath an administrator). The capture of Durazzo by Thopia is also considered to be fortuitous timing, considering the annulment of the Treaty of Venice by the Pope. Meanwhile, Richard de la Roche has a second child this year, after the birth of Guy last year. The second child is a daughter, who is named Anne. With respect to the 1365 request by the Byzantines regarding Smyrna's ownership, we finally - having consulted with our allies in the Latin League - decline the Byzantine offer.
- Tian China: Throughout the last few years, China has begun to suffer from a large amount of raids from the increasingly bold and vicious forces of the barbarian Khanates to the north of the great celestial empire. Although initially considered inconsequential and not focused on a great deal beyond being fought off where they attacked, there increasing boldness and methods of getting around the Great Wall have begin to cause increasing amounts of concern until, finally, a great raid into Chinese territory reaches as far as the great and important city of Wuwei, the domain of the great general and son of the emperor, prince Xuanye. Although this raid is quickly crushed in a battle outside the city, the fact that the Mongolians have become so bold in their raiding is extremely concerning and in the aftermath of the battle, one of the princes of the northern Yuan, Khünbish, is captured and brought into the dungeons of the city. Under extreme torture he reveals that these raids have been increasingly organized by the villainous forces of the Northern Yuan, who have been organizing raids into the Chinese frontier to steal the Chinese people’s wealth and jobs. When he hears of this, the furious courtier Tan Duno declares that he will “build a new great wall out of the corpses of the barbarian scum, and make Mongolia pay for It”. The Zhiyěmán emperor greatly approves of this statement and sentiment, and makes Tan a commander in the army he is planning to send north as he officially declares war on the northern Yuan “dynasty”, which he describes as a land of scum full of “rapists, murderers, and degenerates, and some of whom, I assume, are good people. The army sent is made up of about 100,000 people, invading the Yuan from the south well forces of 40,000 commanded by Xuanye also strike into Mongolian territory with the intent of punishing them for their crimes against the Chinese people. (ALGORITHM NEEDED)
- Poland-Lithuania: With the Peace of Augsberg signed and Poland's goals accomplished The troops return home and disbanded. Administrative reforms and land sales continue. The lands that made up the kingdom of Ruthenia formally are partitioned between Poland and Lithuania with the north eastern section of the coutry being ceded to Lithuania and the rest being giving to Poland with the lands being reorganized into the the Voivodes of Upper Ruthenia, Lower Ruthenia and Haylich. An envoy is sent to the court of Muscovy to offer them asecret alliance against Novogrod (mod response). Fortifications along the borders with the Rus are exapnded. Expansion of roads continue specially into the Transcarpathian region in an effort to revive the trade of the region.
After the fall of Tabriz to the Georgian invasion, the Persian Shah Awais moves the capital to Esfahan. In the far east, Timor the Lame names Samarkhand the capital of his empire, informally known as the Timorid Empire.
The Hanseatic-Bjelbo conflict, also known as the "Kattagat War", is concluded with the Treaty of Kolding. Denmark is significantly reduced in its power, with influence split between obligation to the Holy Roman Emperor, as well as Queen Margaret's husband as ruler of Sweden-Norway.
Karl Thopia escapes from the agents of Venice, and has the local police sent to arrest him imprisoned in Durres. He raises a military to push south and claim the proper territory of the Kingdom of Albania.
Duke Philip the Bold of Burgundy marries Countess Margaret III of Flanders. This initiates the beginning of Burgundy's influence into the Lowlands.
Many nobles in France urge King Victor to revoke the Treaty of London, which was made when King John was a POW of England. Victor is old and in poor health, however.
King Peter I of Cyprus attempts several raids by the Latin League against Egypt and the Levant, in spite of lack of funding, and only succeeds in marginal success. He returns to Nicosia bankrupt, where he is murdered in bed by three of his knights. He is succeeded as King of Cyprus and Jerusalem by his son, Peter II "the Fat".
- Empire of Ethiopia: With the Empire’s hasty assault on the rebel settlement repelled, Emperor Newaya Krestos is convinced by his generals to establish a traditional siege. The city is surrounded, with multiple strongpoints being built around the city to guard access to it while the Ethiopian camp is fortified. To gather wood for fortifications and siege engines, wood is brought overland from the mangrove forests near the Jubba River. Additionally, to supply the army the Emperor sends riders back to Ethiopia with orders to send the Ethiopian fleet of 30 dhows and five trade ships to deliver supplies to Mogadishu, Ethiopia’s main stronghold in Ajuran. The fleet also brings siege engines, namely trebuchets. With the siege engines brought from Ethiopia and the siege engines constructed by the army (namely mangonels), the city begins to be bombarded. The emperor orders the trebuchets fling rotting animals into the city to spread disease as well as flaming bundles to spread fires. The mangonels bombard the city’s walls with rocks, aiming to batter and break through the city’s fortifications. The siege lines are also fortified to prepare for a sort from the city itself. [ALGO ON SIEGE] The Emperor also orders that spies infiltrate the city’s walls at night, aiming to burn supply depots in the city and poison the city’s water supply [MOD RESPONSE ON SUCCESS]. In Ethiopia Newaya Krestos’s son, the Crown Prince Newaya Maryan administers the state in his father’s absence, attending the monthly Imperial Council meetings and receiving tribute from foreign merchants in Barari. In Europe, the delegates hear of the war between Venice and the kingdom known as Padania. The military members of the delegation, namely a few generals, wish to watch military operations in Europe, however, are warned that Padania is ruled by a vengeful tyrant who would not tolerate the generals’ presence with his enemies. In order to gain protection, the delegates ask the Pope for a letter of safety for the delegation, which places the delegation under Papal protection. [PAPAL RESPONSE].
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V gives a safe-conduct to the Ethiopian delegation. However, he says that the ambassadors must stay neutral in the conflict.
- Mali Empire: Ongoing developments in military infrastructure and culture continue, as well as the ongoing prosperity of international commerce. During this generation, much of the nations most important developments all rested outside the control of the Mansa, which was largely by design of the previous emperors Musa and Ayyob. The military armaments and modernization, largely imported from Spain, was organized by a committee appointed from the Gbara directly. Technically the Mansa had direct authority over such a committee, but Mustafa waived all decisions to the collective government of the Magadans. The international trade from China through India and Ethiopia, as well as the export of significant raw materials from the empire, was its own natural process that required no direct maintenance or regulation. However, it is notable that this year Mansa Mustafa sends an embassy to the Emperor of Ethiopia, offering him to sign a treaty: among all trade Ethiopia recieves from the Indian Ocean trade, they must export a minimum quota of that trade through Mali. The exact size of the quota will vary between the size and types of goods and relative exchange rates. (ETHIOPIA RESPONSE). This action was quitessential of Mustafa's character, as he verbally expressed his fears of trade being cuckled in the Silk Road trade by their agreements with Venice through Egypt. Cultural developments were likewise handled completely independently, although Islamization and Manding colonization of the southern and eastern territories continued. Block printing is first introduced into the Library of Timbuktu, and is used to begin reproducing the translated works of classic writers and philosophers in greater numbers. The mathematician Iskandar at this time begins to standardize Arabic numerals as the basis of all arithmatic, and also expounds on the use of algorithms and algebra championed by the Abbasid Caliphate. Mansa Mustafa seeks to give the best available education for his son, Simba, who he intends to succeed him as the Emperor of Mali. To that end, his son Simba is sent with an embassy of the Mali Empire to tour across a few states in the Mediterranean, the legendary lands known to Mali as the legacy of the Roman Empire. As for his brother, Mustafa continues to institute laws to heavily restrict the power of his brother Dawud, the regent of Kanem. He forbids the regent from raising his own armies, or collect taxes directly from his own vassals. Even the regular imperial military is forbidden from stepping foot in Kanem lands without direct orders from the Gbara. These actions, from the perspective of Dawud, was far too Draconian and only served to show the Emperor's constant fear of being rivaled in power.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: Following the year of siege in 1368, Dai Viet forces now number at 17,000 strong and continue to bombard the city with cannons as well as siege engines and an additional force from Champa consisting of 4,000 men arrive and bolster Dai Viet's forces to 21,000 strong (Algorithm/Mod Response). Desiring to secure safe ports for Dai Viet merchants to pass through the South China Sea, a diplomatic party is sent to the fledgling Kingdom of Singapura with a request for safe passage, a trade post, and permission to dock Dai Viet ships while offering a defensive pact guaranteeing the Kingdom of Singapura's independence from Dai Viet or any other kingdom so long as they do not infringe upon trade or harass Dai Viet ships that pass through the Kingdom (Mod Response): Continued efforts to crackdown on the mysterious group of nobles who managed to steal whole warehouses of agarwood and attempting to control the thronw have yielded fruit at last with the Scarlet Dragons apprehending all who were involved as well as confiscating their wealth. The actions of the Scarlet Dragons alarm quite a few nobles in the courts who fear they might be next which leads them to be more passive in arguing their points especially with the Pro-China and Anti-China movements. Efforts to secure the agarwood groves have been successful but efforts to secure Dai Viet's gold mines have proven troublesome especially in the southern Dai Viet where the efforts to place administrators and officials from the local region have proven difficult as their has been reported corruption which is still under investigation from the Minister of Intelligence for the time being. Efforts to construct and improve irrigation throughout the kingdom have had little to no interference with any problems being local due to the expansions/improvement of the previous road system allowing for resources to be shipped far easier. Violators of the Slave Codes for the most part go unpunished as the resources slavery offers in this time of war cannot be ignored with the gladiator pits still utilizing slaves without permits for the time being. News begins to arrive in Dai Viet of China and Japan's war with the remaining Yuan in the North with the Emperor having no real concerns with it for the time being. Another six ships (100 ships total) have been completed this year through contracting Champa shipyards and through use of Dai Viet's shipyards expanding the Dai Viet navy even further which continues to patrol the coast for smugglers and pirates with very little trouble this year. With the previous ship contract done and trade prospects expanding for Dai Viet, an additional order of 20 ships are placed which is small due to the ongoing war taking its toll on Imperial coffers and resources. As the war enters its fourth year, the Emperor orders an emergency tax throughout Dai Viet to fill its dwindling coffers before the situation becomes irreversible for the Imperial Government. The recently constructed Nestorian temples across the Kingdom suffer from vandalism as the Buddhist majoirty populace wonders why the resources and effort devoted to them weren't placed elsewhere with local militas being ordered to protect the churches drawing the ire of local populations. It is in this year that Prince Quan begins tutelage in the art of governing, warfare, and literature under trusted officials and officers of the Tran Dynasty.
- Singapore accepts this alliance.
- Iceland: As the population reaches 31,600 the King holds a meeting to discuss the future relations between Scotland(Scottish Response Needed). The Royal Library is Constructed as a wing of the National University. The President of Parliament is renamed to Prime Minister, he starts to tour Iceland to boost relations and the Thule Delegation personally commissions a Theatre in Thorhavn. Meanwhile, the Cardinal of Greenland builds the “Church of the Sick” to remember the people that died from the plague and famine. The Cardinal of Greenland writes “Home Prayers and Biblical Stories”(Papal Response Needed) and sends it to his friend Secretary Ari and wishes for it to go into production. The economy becomes stabilized and the government focuses on improving living conditions in the Greenland settlements. “The Helpers of the Helpless” leader is given Jan Mayen as an honorary County. The Ólaf Mausoleum is expanded with a platform and on that platform a six-metre tall statue of King Ólaf “The Great” sitting on a throne. A ten-person police force is put together in Reykjavik and five people in Akranes and Akureyri. A big scandal happens when a woman enters Alþingi and is said to have bought the seat, she will only sit a single term but the more conservative Þingmen say that this is why women shouldn’t enter politics. The delegations are renamed to the titles of “Oddvitar” but the Þingmen stay the same titles.
- Papal Diplomacy: The book is received by Pope Nicholas V. After a committee had analyzed it, the pontiff aproves its publication as a useful tool to help the people to learn basic points of the Christian faith. Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason starts to use Roman Blockprinting Press to produce copies of this book.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: King David II attends the meeting proposed by the King of Iceland.
- Voidvodeship of Wallachia: Cadet training, for knights get organized very well the congress builds a castle buildings for training paid by the administrative of the region a monk writes a story about anthim the iberian one of the popular ecclesiastical figure in the region of wallachia it even born in the caucause, in the kingdom of Kartli an abbess touch the bell for new arrivals the administration of the Slavonic Orthodox Church paid a market with the village for trade. in property roles the minister occupies the head of the church and the congress with their established power,the voivode, shows that in the role for the first born are normal citizens who must take care of his family's house the phanariotes, give to a commission for the congress to improve the roles and other stuff a university of philosophy is being built by the local government and a bishop in the reign of the Byzantine rite they built the church 'Saint-nicholas' with a boy called john martyr of Wallachia they will be a very important role for him he must administered the head of the Slavonic church and occupied the pharaniotes in the main role with the same title.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: Trade continues to grow as Ethiopian, Egyptian and Venetian merchants start trading in the many bazaars of the nation. The port cities of Bharuch, Khambhat and Suryapur continue to grow in size and significance. The patronization of the Chishti Sufis by the Sultanate has led to the sect being the dominant Islamic sect in the nation and has also spread to the neighbouring Muslim nations. More than 90 percent of the Muslims in the Sultanate adhere to the Chishti sect of Sufism and this has led to the severe reduction of the powers of the Ulama over the years. The Sufis now hold sway over the Muslim population of the Sultanate, and the Chishti doctrine of not interfering in politics has led to a great reduction in the burden over the Government. However, power trade guilds have emerged as a new pressure group. So now the Trade Guilds, Iqtadars, Nobles of the Chalisa and the Civil Bureaucracy form the most important pressure groups. The cities of Gwalior, Bareilly and Badayun have emerged as important towns. A garrison town is established in Bayana. Even though the Chishti Sufis do not proselytize, their Khanqahs and Shrines are opened to people of all faiths and this has led to a significant number of people converting and there has also been peaceful and positive exchange with the Hindu and Jain communities.
- Kingdom of France: After months of talks between French and Scottish foreign ministers, Jean de Narbonne secures a renewal of the Auld Alliance between the two nations. At the insistence of the Scots, who also represent the interests of the Irish in these negotiations, the Kingdom of Eiru will be included as the third partner in the alliance. The treaty signing occurs on the outskirts of Paris. Diplomats are sent to Ireland to confirm this treaty with their high king. It is hoped that the alliance will act as a safeguard against future English aggression, even though, at present, the threat seems minimal. As before, the alliance will be a purely defensive one: all parties are obliged to declare war on the aggressor if another signatory is attacked. At the same time as these negotiations are taking place, King Victor responds to the mounting complaints by the nobility aimed at removing the "intolerable" presence of the English from France's coasts. Among those in support of revoking the Treaty of London are the king's own son, Prince Louis. Furthermore, it seems that the people of Aquitaine are outraged at the taxes King Edward has placed on them in order to pay for construction projects in England, and have warmed to King Victor of France. Such claims could, of course, be exaggerated. Yet Victor is sufficiently convinced. He declares much of the Treaty of London -- which had been forced upon John, a hostage king -- null and void. Reassessment of the treaty finds that England had failed to observe certain terms. The King of France's suzerainty over Aquitaine is reaffirmed by the courts, and an army is sent there to enforce it.
- Eiru Dip: We agree to join the alliance.
- Swiss Confederacy: The signing of the Treaty of Augsburg is greeted with great cheer in the Swiss cities as removing or at least weakening the Habsburg threat to Switzerland and liberating their surrounding vassals. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg, the chief architect of the treaty, is particularly praised for his leadership; civilians start referring to him as "Ulrich the Diplomat". As the Treaty of Augsburg also ends the conflict in Bohemia and Austria, the 5,000 Swiss mercenaries deployed there return to the Confederacy. The Canton of Montfort elects a burgomaster, though Heinrich II von Lenzburg remains in the region to oversee its development and integration. The main body of the joint military of the Confederacy starts to move from being clustered in the northeast to being more evenly spread out through the nation again, though fortification work continues in the northeastern cities of Sargans and Bregenz. As the Swiss Confederacy now controls a longer section of Lake Constance shoreline, the government works on increasing boatbuilding and fishing in the lake, now not just in Rorschach in the Canton of St. Gallen but also in Bregenz in the Canton of Montfort and Salem in the Canton of Salem. Additionally, the government works on increasing the production of lumber in the southwest of the nation in the Cantons of Bern and Sion. The Canton of Sargans sends an envoy to the lordship of Bludenz, a former holding/protectorate of the Count of Werdenberg-Heiligenberg now located to the southeast of the Canton of Sargans and south of the Canton of Montfort, suggesting that Bludenz join the Canton of Sargans to receive the trade and defensive benefits it had as a protectorate. (Mod response) The Central Council continues to pay close attention to the conflict between Padania and Venice, though they will let the Swiss military reconsolidate for one more year after the recent campaigns in the northeast before taking an official position or sending out any mercenaries. Johanna von Lenzburg and Peter of Geneva have a second child, a daughter named Marie (b. 1369).
- Bludenz has protection from Austria and other states in the east, and doesn't feel necessary to agree to this
- Papal States: Pope Nicholas V observes the war between Padania and Venice uneasily. He orders to Cardinal General Comissary Robert of Geneva to maintain the Papal Army prepared in case of the war arriving in the Papal States. Cardinal Robert and Captain General Galeotto I Malatesta mobilize the army formed by 15,000 men. The Papal navy is also prepared, with its 15 ships being prepared in case of a conflict near the coast of Papal Territory. The pontiff continues with the neutral position, but the army and navy are kept prepared. Niccolò II d'Este, Antonio II da Montefeltro and Ugone Guidardi are choose by the pontiff to replace the deceased Papal Vicars of the provinces of Ancona, Spoleto and Benevento respectively. Due to the obligations of Louis Capet as Prince of France, he is replaced by Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason as Papal Vicar of the Patrimony of Saint Peter. During the Holy Week of this year, Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason washes the feet of prostitutes and beggars in the Pedelavium celebration in the Church of Divine Mercy. The Holy Father creates as cardinal William Whittlesey (England). Rumors of people being healed after praying for the mediation of the deceased Pope Gregory XI reach Pope Nicholas V. He sents a commission to investigate these miracles. The Workers of Mercy continue to offer help to the people of Ostia and near towns. During the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Elena Cimorelli stay praying in the chapel of the Convent of Saint Augustine after the other beguines leaved to do their daily tasks. After two sisters return to talk with Elena, they find her in ecstasy in the chapel. When the two approach, her ecstasy ends. Elena and the beguines realize that she is bleeding on hands and feet. Then the beguines help Elena go to her room to rest while they call a physician and Father Fabozzi. After the physician analyzed the wounds and talked to Father Fabozzi, the Father tell to the beguines reunited outside Elena's room that it seems that she received the Stigmata. Then he and the sisters start to pray.
- Kingdom of Eiru: Castle Roche, Trim Castle and Carrickmines Castle all capitulate in the new year as they are starved out while Dublin castle holds out against the rebels in the Pale. The Gaelic armies to the north and west move toward Dublin but fearing a move to block any of them would weaken the defences of Dublin to the south the rebels hold around Dublin. The rebels are unable to stop the progress of the Gaelic armies through the Pale. Dublin finds itself in a siege within a siege as the city is laid siege to by the Gaelic armies while Dublin castle is under siege by the rebels The rebels believing if they can hold out until the capture of Dublin castle they can end the rebellion on favourable terms. Eoghan aware that Dublin castle has a short amount of time before it will fall and his father's captures he decides to force the war to a conclusion and begins savaging the pale with mass murder of people within the Pale and destruction of the villages and fields. As the violence begins the rebels make an offer to yield and surrender. Eoghan accepts their peace and the war is over with the coastal towns in southern Ireland surrendering as well. The trio of pirates have made good success out of the war though enhancing their reputation and there is a glut of former English and Gaelic soldiers who join up with them. Up until now their attacks have been accepted as part of the war and its immediate post aftermath.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: As the war has finally concluded, the time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines begins, expecting to be completed by next year. Literature and culture exchanges begin to finally slow down, although with market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy, an increase of violence occurs in the conquered Mixtec territories, mostly by supposed cannibals. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into an artificial ethnicity. The Toltec war machine continues to be guided into perfection under the leadership of Uakusï Tonauac and his military advisors, enlarging its size to an undefinable number of warriors. Cazonci Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, seeing as he will be the rightful heir. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, begin training as warriors for the Empire, so to imprint their minds on the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in the coming times. In Teōmatācāyōtl (State of Faith), Iuizoh and Tepeu continue to raise their children, Iuihua and Chen. Tepeu continues his teachings to Yaluk and the people of the Chichimeca.
- Provisional Parliament of Denmark: The End of the war still speak disaster for Denmark, not do we need to rebuild many parts of Denmark destroy from the war, the danish succession crisis is also an interference that the danish need to resolve. Nobel's are still split on who should be the future successor. Martial law was declared with both sides fighting with others. With a weak parliament, many fear that a civil war may occur soon. In order to get a new king quick, the parliament would do a vote on who the successor be. The vote would be yearly and will end in 1370. (Secret End)
- Republic of Venice: Enraged by the embargo of the pope, Mastino della Scala II has to act quickly, abdicates and nominates his son Paolo della Scala as Doge, who gets quickly elected to be the new Doge. The new Doge asks for forgiveness and to lift the nullification of all embargoes (or at least allow the Venetians to remain their relations to other states), Venice will support the papacy in a future Christian war when it has the resources to do so (PAPCY RESPONSE, PLEASE). Mastino will now concentrate on being a General. However, the first orders he gives is to arrest the usuper of Durazzo, putting a 1500 Docates bounty on Carl of Albanias head, when he is captured alive (MOD RESPONSE). SECRET 2,000 men from Crete are sent to Durazzo, entering the city in the cover of night and storming the palace in which the usuper resides. The arriving forces don't even try to act like an intimidating enemy but just arrives at the port as every merchant would do. They completely surprise the city guards and promptly seize control of the city. The city is occupied, and the Venetian city guards that are still present in the city aid the coup, either by being bribed or fearing the infamous brutality of the Greek soldiers. SECRET END With Mastino della Scala being able to fully commit himself to the battlefield, the experienced leader returns to the front, with him he invites the Ethiopian delegation to fulfill their wish to see an European battle (ETHIOPIA RESPONSE, PLEASE). After having given the Padanians a hard fight with heavy casualties, the next strategic goal is to secure the border city of Mantua, and then continue the march on Parma. The city of Mantua, on the edge of the Venetian border is enforced with 10,000 Venetian forces and the area is heavily fortified, and the army under della Scala begins to march toward Parma with 15,000 men and 2,000 cavalerists. This way, the Venetian forces would face a way smaller threat since simultaneously the army under Francesco Ordelaffi in the south continues to raid Padanian supply routes and camps, but also provoking minor skirmishes, that could trigger a larger battle at any time (even though he calls back his forces before such an event could happen). Due to this, the major forces of Padania in the south cannot retreat north and a certain number of their man have to stay near Bologna. The Attack on Parma is carried out as followed: The 15,000 footsoldiers would engage in a linear but tightly packed formation to stand firm against cavalry charges. However, they would not attack in an even line formation, but in a sloped one, with heavy cavalry flanking the right along with some 3000 infanterists (from the venetian view right) side, whereas light Tartar cavalry armed with sabers and bows will attack the left flank together with some 2000 infanterists who are equipped with crossbows and short swords. The plan is to eradicate the right flank first, then disturb the formations of the left flank so far that they can be destroyed as well, (or are at least unable to aid the center) so the center can be encircled and taken prisoner, or are completely cut down in case they are resisting. Additional extensive trebuchet bombardment with flammable projectiles would disturb the formations and to keep the enemy’s morale low (ALGO, PLEASE). The forces in Bologna are enforced with 5,000 conscripts and some watchmen from the cities more inland, to keep the city free from any attack. SECRET A letter is sent to the Spanish court and the well befriended court in Naples by the Venetian Doge Paolo della Scala, where he states that one of his spies have reported that the Padanian General Cassono not only plans to conquer Venice in his unstoppable greed, but also seeks to take away the Spanish possessions in Sardinia and eventually even Naples. Venice would offer a long lasting military alliance and economical aid in times of need, if Spain intervenes in the conflict on the Venetian side (HISPANIAN RESPONSE NEEDED) SECRET END. The Ethiopian military advisors are also taught a few things regarding the morale of an army. The venetians for example allow certain liberties to the soldiers on special occasions, such as the consumption of wine (something that is strictly forbidden otherwise, only low-alcohol ale is permitted) or extra rations. Not only that, the soldiers rations are mostly from protein and calorie rich ingredients like smoked ham and fish, bread, sometimes cheese, peas or beans and pasta (a dish that can be very durable as long it does not get wet), it is common knowledge in the Venetian staff that any army walks and fights on its stomach. Siege weapons such as cannons and trebuchets.
- Ethiopia Dip: Ethiopian generals carrying a letter of safe passage from the Pope will attend the battle with the Venetian forces, however, are told to provide no military support or advice and will merely observe the battle.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Peace in our land has been reached fully now, as the war with sweden has been fully broken. The Rex Lotharii bringing back the army to their homeland, where the king passes trough Aachen. The city of Charlemagne and Lothair, the City of the German emperors. The homestead of Victory, where peace rules supreme. With this peace King Charles asks the pontifex maximus if he could be officially crowned as the Rex Lotharri in the City of all of Deutschtum (Papal Response). As the King wants to ensure to be recognised as the King of Lotharingia by all of Christendom, Charles Reginarid wanting make sure all is done acording to Christian doctrine. The Christian doctrine which is even writen down in the constitution of Lotharingia even saying that one must swear an oath to the Sacred scriptures. The king wanting to move the Parliament of Mechelen to the City of all of deutschtum. Meanwhile, the army that has returned from Denmark, get for the first time in History a Lotharingian triumph. This being a relic of the Roman empire, the triumph being a sign of Military victory and succesfull campaigns. The success being the war in Denmark with help of the Lotharingian troops and the Praetorian guard. The Lotharingian navy and army performing greatly in Jutland. In the Saharawi Sidinate the Imraguen tribe under أسلام ابن فاريس (aslam abn faris) accepts the agreement of Heir Michael, thus expanding the influence of the Sidinate across the coast towns on the area.
- Kingdom of Scotland: We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland this year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. A colossal project takes place all over the Isle of Mann as several hundred labourers are conscripted to construct defensive earthworks in every settlement around their walls and where walls do not exist, such as small hamlets further into the interior, they are costructed, although they are not as solid as regular city walls, essentially they are a structure in which a four-metre high wooden wall is placed above into a stone foudation two metres high above ground. Emphasis is rather given to the coastal settlements, where in case of an invasion they'd be the first to be threatened, their walls are expanded and earthworks further strenghten their defenses The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are further reinforced with the addition of dozen big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II conintues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also lead to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands.
- Nyazwe: In the Eighth, Ninth, and Tenth districts of Nyazwe where the Kaka War unfolded, the reconstruction of the various cities devastated by the conflict begins, with funding from the Ministry of Means released for the movement of manpower, food, building materials, and salaries into the three districts. Families effected by the civil war, all those recognized as having been directly effected by the civil war either materially or physically, are given a sum of 160 fedha, or the equivalent of six months' of work in salaries, to help them rebuild their homes, purchase new cattle, and pay for farm-hands to replace the men conscripted into service by the loyalist and rebel armies during the war. The system of restitution is paid out by the state directly from the treasury, with the end result costing the state approximately 200,000 gold dhahabu, or nearly one-fifth of the treasury's remaining funds. The funds given to the citizens help the state focus on larger reconstruction efforts, as the citizens on an individual level are able to better purchase the goods they need to see to the normalization of their lives after the war. The building of roads, farms, and walls continues under the direction of Chatunga, who hopes to see most of the urban centers along the river rebuilt within about five to ten years time. The development of the Kumadokero district in the western frontier continues, with migration from the interior to the external districts of the country. An estimate of the frontier population to the west is taken by local authorities, who arrive at a total of 57,000 inhabitants, of which 7,000 reside in the three urban centers of the district, while the remaining 50,000 inhabitants are those living in the rural bomas of Kumadokero. In Lusvingo, Chatunga authorizes the construction of a new armory in the capital to cater to the needs of the local garrisons of the north. More than five hundred people have been brought in from across the region to work at this new armory, which is expected to be ready for full-scale production within a few years time. Until then, numerous workers are trained on the production of the tools and weapons that will be expected of them once the armory has been completed. In the south, the invasion of the Nguni-controlled south has stalled at Kuputsa, with the two armies of Hondo and Sibonakaliso forced to cease their advance while the assess the movement of the remaining Nguni forces in their region and prepare for their plan excursion into the land. Both inkosi have received reports from the Maziso AKe agents spread throughout the south that there might be another Nguni army in the region, though they need time to assess these rumors and report back to Hondo and his generals on the matter. Likewise, Itai is informed about the potential additional Nguni force in the region, and instructed to remain on guard while Hondo and Sibonakaliso track it for him. Until then, there is no movement south of the Limpopo River by the armies of Nyazwe.
- Poland-Lithuania: Administrative reforms continue to be implemented as the newly established Voivods in Poland and recently integrated Ruthenia. The Port city of Gdansk begins to recieve greater attention from Stanislaw as the Port finishes its planned expansion allowing for a steady growth in the volume of shipping travelling up and down the vistula to the Baltic Sea. Interested in expanding Lithuania's own coast and preventing any potential future encroachment on the baltics Stanislaw I demands the submission of the Samotigian Confederacy. He orders the local moboliziation of Lithuanian Pancerny and some freeholder levies making up some 3,000 men in case a campaign is required into their lands (mod Response). Stanislaw I continues to inquire across Europe to find a bride for his son Wladislaw, who is pronounced as his heir to Lithunia and He also calls a meetin of the Sejm to reuqest that they recognize Prince Wladyslaw as heir to the throne of Poland as well (mod response).
- Cassono proposes his eldest Daughter Antonia who's 14 as a potential bride.
- Stanislaw I agrees.
- They agree.
- Samotigians refuse.
- Kingdom of Padania: With Venetian movements toward Padanian territory Cassono breaks the barely begun siege and treks straight toward the last known location of the Venetian force. Defeating any forces he encounters. The beginnings of a siege on parma make Cassono angry and he begins to enter fits of rage at times. Secret: One night in secret the Sceptre (Master assassin of Florence) sneaks in and puts a knife to Cassono’s throat. Later realising who he is Cassono tells him to sit down The Sceptre tells him of his great adventures in the lands of the former Ottoman empire and the great riches of this land. And how all it would take is one strong leader to bring these lands under the wing of a great Christian ruler. Following this Cassono gets dreams and becomes obesessed with this land and imagines a golden city with infinite wealth in these lands, later embaressed with himself for acting so childish Cassono becomes more empowered and marches to Parma still defeating all in his path, however, slowly becoming less arrogant and realising he is mortal like any other. End Secret. Cassono meets his forces at Parma and attacks the Venetian forces with his full might hoping to trap them against the walls of the fortress of Parma. (Algo, please).
- Oyo Empire: In the past ten years since the battle of Jebbi the Alaafin despite holding the cities has struggled to control rural areas. This has resulted in 2/3 of the army being called back. In an attempt to peacefully end the war the Alaafin has attempted to use his familial connections to convince nobles of Borgu and Nupe to discuss conditional surrender. Besides that the occupied cities have begun to be interwoven into the Yoruba caravan system, causing trade with Mali to explode. The Alaafin has appointed his brother as Military governor of Jebbi whose administrative and diplomatic over warfare ruling style has caused the city to prosper with many yoruba traders moving there. Rumors have surfaced that he has converted to Islam however,
- The Hispanic Empire: with Northern Italy at war, The Empire rules on in an era of prosperity and newfound stability across her realm due to economic investment efforts made prior. now Emperor Francisco, he focuses his time reorganizing the fleet basing in Malta and Napoli to expanded ports in the region for more ships and smoother functionality. Greater Trade is offered to both the Scottish and English offering valued goods such as Salts, Gold, and Spices including other high grade valuables in exchange for Wool and other variant goods to be at a lowered price lacking tariffs in regards to these imports as a term to permit the very beneficial valuable goods from the Empire to be imported in greater mass and worth (English and Scottish Responses). With Padania at war with the Venetians, Textiles produced within Northern Italy supplied by fine English Wool and other variants would increase especially in lower France. As a result, smaller textile production areas such as the likes of northern Catalonia and Aragon including the cities of Perpignan and Montpellier become greater economic hubs in relation to French Trade making them relatively at a greater level of importance. With greater levels of Block Printing kicking off at the very valued libraries of Barcelona, Toledo, and Zaragoza, copies are donated to the Sistine Library of Rome with the Emperor donating monetary funds to the poor as a symbol and reminder of his early youth, running around in Toledo against his father's will. Prince Francisco, Marco, and Orlando spend their youth in the palace although finding interest in hunting trips outside Toledo. Marco admires his father and grows prideful of his ancestry and his Great-Grandfather James the Great. A man of war serving alongside his father in the Latin Imperial Campaigns and those of Lower Italy, he once again just like the men who have come before him picks up the sword and points it toward the Council. The Council of Hispania is given the task to ensure stability by dealing with further corruption in the Empire and abroad to ensure sustainability. More Spaniards begin to make home just outside downtown Napoli. Premium Olive farmers of the Spanish Ortega Family begin to spread their orchards around the city hills claiming property to themselves. These olives begin to become locally renowned as a result and their publicity spreads to nearby cities. 'New Generation" Residents brought about by Spanish Merchants and Artisans following the Black Death make it home in what this city district of Napoli begins to refer to as the Municipality of the Olive Garden after the Ortega Families overwhelming monopoly over the community influence especially beyond their increasingly famous Orchards but also of their supply of produce and livestock to the city as well. An offer is made to England willing for the time to permit naval and military support in their defense within and only with France seeing that Victor remains as an enemy to The Hispanic Crown and her people with this effort being one that can be taken as mutually beneficial especially considering relatively well maintained positive relations under previous administrations (English Response).
- English Dip: We agree.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We also agree to the trade pact.
Merry Christmas everyone! this turn will last until December 26 for the Holidays.
Kristoff Kringle, having grown to an adult, decides to pursue his family business of delivering toys to children in the city of Lubeck, in spite of warnings of the Burgermeister's cruelty.
This holiday is unknown to the people of the Mexico valley, where the changing climate has clost almost the entire year's harvest. This leaves not only all the nations in the Toltec Quadruple Alliance desparately short on food, but also pushes the Mayapan League further into decline.
With the revocation of the Treaty of London by King Victor, many English nobles demand that war should be resumed with France to enforce the treaty again. Losing this treaty would lose their claims to Calais, Acquataine, and vassalization of Brittany.
After conquering all of Transoxiania, Timor the Lame begins his campaign to legitimize his rule as Emperor, by reunifying the Persian Empire. He starts this by invading the Zanj Sultanate of Bactria, with a massive army.
The Venetian coup manages to seize control over most of the city of Durazzo, effectively overrunning a city that is under the indirect authority of the Latin Empire. Karl Thopia raises his own military of 5,000 troops to take the city back from Venice, and asks his liege to support his actions.
In the Mabar Kingdom, Sri Vedanta Desikan composes an enormous number of classic Sanskrit poetry, and is also well known for his developments in science and engineering.
Stay alert, because this decade many risisng nations right now will suffer signifcant instability or outside threats. Good luck.
- Mali Empire: The ongoing actions of developing infrastructure, economy, and technology continue as they had in previous years. Much of this technology and modern science had been steadily imported from their contact with Spain, Italy and Egypt, which also included adoptions of artistic styles. The influx of philosophical works from Italy and Egypt continued to transform the University of Timbuktu, and gave them a distinctly western slant. In general, the early generations of Yuniyyah Islam became heavily inline with scholastic philosophy, interpreted from a Muslim perspective using works such as Al-Kindi. Naval technology also continues to be upgraded in line with the developments of Portugal and Spain, to help facilitate this Atlantic sea trade. Mansa Mustafa and the Gbara establishes a reform to the standard currency this year. The Malian Mithqal is from now on represented as gold and copper coins, with the portrait and Islamic date minted on its front as well. This first attempt at a standardization of currency is utilized as a way to be more recognizable among European economies, as well as to affirm our trading pact with the Empire of Ethiopia (ETHIOPIA RESPONSE). In the current expositions of mathematics discovered by Iskandar, he rediscovers the "method of exhuastion" first published by Archimedes, and writes a commentary on it. He particularly imagines that this method can be carried infinitely, until one is able to find the area of any curved surface with smaller and smaller areas. In Europe, the crown Prince Simba journeys to visit the city of Rome, to see what works of science or literature he can learn from the great Roman Empire (PAPAL RESPONSE). Mansa Mustafa makes an attempt to subvert the growing power of the southern lords, as they pose a threat to the legimacy of his rule on the border. In reaction to Mustafa's attempts to subvert their control, Yahya Al-Shams and Idris Al-Qamar sign an alliance with each other, creating a stronger buffer between their two houses and the Imperial court. This year Al-Qamar manages to use this influence in the Gbara to secure his control over the Kingdom of Akan, including the entire navy at the port of Nkran. This action greatly alarms the Emperor, and pours more military to firmly defend and secure his border with Bononam. To solidfy their earlier alliance, Al-Shams marries Fatima, the daughter of Al-Qamar.
- Ethiopian Dip: Ethiopia accepts the trade proposal from Mali
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V welcomes Prince Simba in Rome. He also plans to show him Saint Augustine's University and the Sistine Library.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: After four years of war against the Khmer Empire, Dai Viet has finally triumphed and has annexed all of the Khmer Empire. With the acquisition of Khmer territory, a census is ordered by Emperor Chinh to determine the strength of his people for the coming years (Mod Response/Census). Officials have been dispatched into the former Khmer lands to make suggestions to Emperor Chinh to better improve the land and people for Dai Viet. The first thing proposed by the officials assigned to inspect the region is shoring up and improving the failing water management system across the region with suggestions of requiring villages to contribute a certain number of laborers, men or women, as the tax for the region to speed up the process of restoring water management systems across the region. Furthermore, the officials suggest that an occupying force consisting of the royal levy be left to hold the region. The advice offered by the inspectors of the newly acquired region is followed to the letter with the royal levy consisting of 6,500 men under General Kiều Sơn Hà being left raised as the rest of the levy is demobilized and the alternative tax plan put into action with the additional workers being committed to repairing the faltering water management system throughout the Khmer region. The 6,500 soldiers left behind are tasked with maintaining the peace in the Emperor's name and actively work on patrolling the roads and keeping the peace in the region. In order to properly assimilate the region, noble families are required to send an educated child to the city of Phnom Penh for training/testing for their capacity as administrators and officials. The testing of the peasant’s children has been ordered throughout the region as administrators and local officials are desperately needed with current control being relegated to the Royal Army. Integrating the local populations has had a few minor problems considering the state of the roads after years of negligence. In northern Dai Viet, the construction/improvement of the irrigation systems has been completed as well as the efforts in Champa Dai Viet with the workforce of the regions being released for the time being until their is further use for them. In cities across Dai Viet, efforts are made to improve and expand the ports to allow for increased trading and to dock more ships as Dai Viet has begun stepping up naval operations to combat pirates that have been harassing merchants passing through the South China Sea. The Emperor has ordered the Dai Viet navy (120 ships strong) to set up a garrison on the largest island in the Riau archipelago to serve as a trade port and forward base for combatting the prevalent number of pirates in the region. The Minister of the Navy estimates that shipping out materials and manpower to amount to two or three years before the intended facility is completed. A diplomatic party has been sent to Hindustan to request the opening of trade between Dai Viet and Hindustan (Hindustan Response). The Pro-China faction has managed to secure the majority of the Imperial Court for this year with the Anti-China faction backing down. It is in this year that Quyền Duy Khang (Prophet/Monk) is born at the town of Tay Ap in the Annamite mountain range to a noble family. Prince Quan continues his tutoring this year under trusted officials and officers return home from the Dai Viet-Khmer War. Empress Sujin gives birth to a baby girl who is name Minh this year. Efforts are made to expand Dai Viet's ports and markets to allow for the greater influx of merchants that have begun to flow into Dai Viet as most trade in the region makes its way to Dai Viet. The Khmer version of trade with females knowledgable about local trade and foreign merchants marrying them is encouraged in the former Khmer Empire with the model being encouraged elsewhere to tie merchants to the region. Reasearch into gunpowder have yielded some fruit with estimates for the arrival of gunpowder, hand cannons, and cannons still estimated for the year 1373. A diplomatic party is dispatched to the King Ramesuan in the Kingdom of Lavo promising Dai Viet support if he would agree to become vassal to Dai Viet once he takes the throne of Ayutthaya (Mod Response, note: he takes back the throne in 1388). A diplomatic party is ordered to the Kingdom of Champa to request that King Che Mo assists Dai Viet in protecting trade through the South China Sea (Mod Response, note: please state current navy size). Another diplomatic party is dispatched to the Kingdom of Pegu to request setting up a trade post in the city of Martaban, safe passage for Dai Viet ships, and to commit there fleet to protecting trade routes (Mod Response, note:please state current navy size if they agree). An additional order for ships is placed to shipyards across Dai Viet and in the tributary Kingdom of Champa for the construction of 60 more ships for the Dai Viet navy as the area it is expected to cover is from Dai Viet to the Strait of Malacca.
- Hindustani Response: The request to open trade is accepted.
- Champa agrees to protect trade
- A treasure fleet of eight ships protects Vietnamese trade
- Empire of Ethiopia: With the siege of the Somali settlement entering year three, the Emperor works on maintaining proper discipline, sanitation and supplies for the army. The soldiers in the siege lines drill constantly, whilst disease is kept at bay by a combination of proper latrine maintenance, proper hygiene, and a large amount of healers and doctors present in the army. Additionally, the Ethiopian navy continues to run supplies to Mogadishu, Ethiopia’s main stronghold in Somalia, which are then sent to the siege, thus ensuring a constant flow of supplies to the army. The siege continues, with trebuchets continuously flinging excrement, rotten livestock and burning brush into the settlement while mangonels hammer its walls with large boulders [ALGO NEEDED FOR SIEGE]. To satisfy the quotas of the Mali trade agreement, the Empire begins to sell the goods it receives as tributes from merchants directly to Mali merchants through Ministry of Trade personnel. This causes a large influx of gold to flow into Imperial coffers, further bolstering the crown’s wealth. The Mali currency impresses the Crown Prince Newaya Maryam, who admires their ability to be used in lieu of bartering items. The Minister of Trade recommends Ethiopia attempt to form its own currency. However, the Empire lacks the necessary technology yet. The gold mines in Ethiopia are expanded, attempting to find gold to further the Empire’s wealth. Additionally the trade guild of Ethiopia expands its holdings with a second trade fleet, bringing in much shared wealth to the merchant class. To encourage literacy amongst this wealthy upper class of Ethiopian subjects, the Empire requires that written accounts of the trade guild’s profits, revenue and inventory be submitted to the Ministry of Trade monthly. Cotton continues to be encouraged by the Empire, with the government purchasing cotton at high prices to encourage growth. To help the grow the burgeoning cotton industry, the Empire asks that Hindustan send farmers and specialists with knowledge of growing cotton [HINDUSTAN RESPONSE]. The Order of St. Anthony becomes better established in Somalia, helping to continue the Christianization process. The Empire continues promoting Christianity through taxes, now imposing a tax on Muslim Somalis for entering Ethiopian chewa forts to access the markets and imposing taxes on Muslim Somalis for accessing water in wells. In Europe the Ethiopian military delegates, now carrying a letter of safe passage and protection from the Pope, attend the Venetian army in order to observe a battle. The rest of the delegation follows its intelligence gathering agenda, buying maps of Europe, religious and philosophical texts, engineering designs, and speaking to locals. The delegation in Rome is impressed by the Pope's charitable endeavors, making note of the fact the Church in Europe appears to care for the poor and unfortunate.
- OOC Dev: You don't need to ask me to hire a bunch of farmers from Gujarat.
- Hindustani Response: Hindustan agrees to send a few scholars of agronomy from the Madrassa of Dholka to Ethiopa.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: The time of major reconstruction and re-enforcement of defensive lines ends this year. Literature and culture exchanges begin to finally slow down, although with market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy, an increase of violence occurs in the conquered Mixtec territories, mostly by supposed cannibals. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into an artificial ethnicity. With food shortages beginning this year, Cazonci Nalhen takes it as a sign of Auicamine now forcing a conflict to arrise, and as such, the Toltec war machine is started. Under the leadership of Uakusï Tonauac and his military advisors, the first battle of near-eternal Xōchiyāōyōtlic (Flower Wars) takes place this year. Supporting a soldier count of roughly 8,000, the fierce warriors of the Tarascan march solemnly toward the city, requesting an audience with their Tlatoani. The young and obese Tlatoani of Teotitlán, known as Zolin, accepts this offer for audience. Uakusï Tonauac, knowing their army outnumbered that of Zolin's, they request for Tlatoani to become a tributary for the Toltec Empire. Zolin, having grown up during the time of the Tarascan-Xalisco War, declines this offer, instead stating they will all become grain for the feeding of Mictlāntēuctli. With their heretic behavior accompanying their sense of pride, Uakusï Tonauac throws his spear at Zolin, killing him in quick fashion and initiating the Siege of Teotitlán. Although a majority of the men remained outside, their own siege had started once one of the advisors signaled 'failure' in negotiations, allowing the army stationed to kill a number of the outside guards while Tonauac and his more personal army begin slaughtering all who remain in the palace. By the end of the year, most of what remained of Teotitlán's army, the bulk of it, would be slain or enslaved into the Tarascan trade of the north. Uakusï Tonauac, now occupational lord, begins directing a majority of the grain to the northward states as nearly half of the army marches back to the homeland. While the process starts for leveling the city, Uakusï Tonauac finds himself staring at a crying baby left in the clutter of his parents turned ashes. Tonauac raises the baby up, stopping its tears to open its eyes to comfort within the Uakusï. Tonauac decides that his wife shall raise this baby, remembering his wife's own inability to birth children. Uakusï Tonauac sends another legion of warriors back to the homeland near the ending of the destruction, setting up the child for delivery to his wife for her to raise. While still stationed in the remains of the city, Uakusï Tonauac and his army numbering 3,500 now wait for the next set of orders in their conquest. Cazonci Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, now giving his care to the elder mathematician and philosopher Tenoch so he may learn basic, fundamental sciences. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, continue their training as warriors for the Empire, influencing their minds to the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in conflicts. The first major dictionary is written this year, being published by an unknown but independent teacher. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh and Tepeu continue to raise their children, Iuihua and Chen. Tepeu continues his teachings to Yaluk and the people of the Chichimeca. During a flash raid against the state by the northern tribes, Tepeu is killed in battle. Tepeu's death, including the earlier martyr of Izel, is major to the understanding of why pacificism was retroactively taken out of practice in Teōmaticolli. In his ceremony of the death, the Text of Tepeu is finished, starting the Text of Tlēolaltik ("Dark Text"/No prophet).
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: A monk from the Orthodox church continues to write the chant that the Phanariot administration of the church has requested.He creates, the Bucharest Bible in Romanian translation some day the minister pay among copies of the Bible to shareout in the region an army they developed an arrow type weapon for cavalry with a start of progress well the voivode admired the progress the Council made in the current region of Transylvania, a newborn is baptized in Slavonic Orthodoxy by the minister in this region the trade is very well advanced by the Vlach people this new born baby starts to cry but suddenly an abbese calms him down anyway at Saint Martyr John, his friends and the abbess builds some cathedral in the north and martyr Greek delegate, will ask if he could rule a region here then he will accept who is going to rule the region of Dobrudja, in Wallachia in the role anyway, they will change the protocol principle the abbes, could bury death in the cemetery and make a memory ceremony the cadet could recieve their money to finish their own army job aswell he could read the basics to train with his Sword.
- Kingdom of England: We hear what's going on in France and we will like to make a peace deal but we still send 4,000 men to France to protect our people. Meanwhile, we start to beef up our Scottish borders with protection also we accpet Spanish support, we keep makeing land reforms and such, Darwin Sheffield keeps pumping out weapons and armour and we raise the army slightly with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouse are comeing together nicely and will be done in the next ten years, we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure and goods are made, just in case of war, we use a fortiftion strategy with building walls and seaforts all around England.
- Tian China: The war with Mongolia continues this year, with new offensives launched after a year of preparation to secure our hold on the territories we hold. With Gansu and the old protectrates reconquered, we turn our attention to invading Inner Mongolia, with the hopes of securing control over the massive region and cutting off Mongol forces from reinforcements. The troops led by Xuanye are reinforced with a further 15,000 men raised from the eastern provinces, before an offensive is launched with the goal of reaching and conquering Wuhai, in order to secure control over the western portions of Inner Mongolia and help further secure Chinese territory. Meanwhile, the forces in Chifeng turn west, leaving a garrison in the city well turning to invade Zhangjiakou and Datong, with the goal of beginning to cut off Mongol forces in Manchuria from Inner Mongolia, with Mongol forces, who were preparing for a renewed Manchurian offensive, mostly caught by surprise with this and the Mongol forces in these regions completely unprepared for the renewed offensive. Meanwhile, back in China proper, Ambassador Kong Ren temporarily returns to his estates in China to gather copies of many of the ancient texts within its walls, in order to share them with his friend the Emperor of Japan. Although the emperor is initially confused about this, when he questions Ren, who is also a friend of his, he discovers the intrest in ancient Chinese texts and Confucian writings from the Tang Dynasty period and earlier, and is pleasently surprised to hear of the apartment renissance of Chinese inspired culture and artwork that has begun recently in Japan. In order to encourage this, he contributes several texts from his own extensive personal library and sends several other prominent Confucian scholars and tang-era historians with Kong Ren upon his returning to Japan. This also sparks a renewed interest in the Tang Dynasty period in the emperor himself, who begins investigating a number of rumors about the period and orders investigations into the period by several prominent Chinese historians and archeologists and going through his own library in Luoyang for texts on the period, speaking a renewed interest in the period in China itself, which begins to view the period as a sort of golden age that ought to be emulated. Although this interest is relatively isolated to a few elites for now, the interest shown by the emperor himself and the involvement of several prominent scholars begins to make investigation and emulation of this period extremely fashionable, and many nobles interested in the period or interested in increasing their own social status begin to attempt to emulate the fashions and customs of the period based on what is known, and this interest will spread much in the coming years. The Emperor also orders a greater deal of cooperation with the Japanese navy in patrols in the South China Sea, and, in order to avoid ever being left behind again, order the beginning of a great expansion of the Chinese navy, and great improvements begin to be made on many of the old designs of ships, which, while still extremely advanced compared to our neighbors, have begun to stagnate in recent years due to the Tian’s Military focus so far. This will be the prelude to a period of greater naval expansion and investment in coming years, which will greatly help improve the dynasties naval capabilities.
- Iceland: The population reaches 32,000 and in the spirit of Christmas the Yule Lads are made into giving creatures and 13 of them get statues on Engey. The king reaches the age of 13 and he marries the 15-year-old daughter of Duchess Gúri named “Fríða” in a lavish ceremony presided over by the Cardinal of the Isles. The Greenlandic Settlements are sent money for a small Chapel and a tiny school. Prince-Regent Erik marries Duchess Gúri to secure Icelandic hold on the Isles, the regency will end in a year. The Cardinal of Greenland receives the title of “The Great Commoner” since he helped people to learn about their religion not only in Iceland but also the entire Catholic World, so a County is created and named “Diarmadaland” in his honor and his nephew is made Count of Diarmada. An expedition is sent to Jan Mayen to try to explore even farther north(mod response needed). The permission to translate the Bible into Icelandic is requested.(Papal response needed). The first Icelandic Dictionary is written by the Head of the Ecclesiastical Tribunal Garðar Unnarsson and he is given the order of Nordic Piety. Infrastructure is greatly improved by Althingi and Country get very close with itself. The King names Ásgeir Ásgeirsson as the Prime Minister and replaces Jón L. Örvarsson who was a drunkard but this is an outrage in Althini but the Upper Council agrees but makes a law that the King has to have the support of two delegates to replace a Prime Minister or a delegate. Bishop of Arnarbæ dies by sailing to Iceland and visiting a new island and lands on it but then the island became a gigantic beast and sunk, this temporarily halts transport between “Vestmanneyjar” and Iceland. Two murders happen in Iceland tnis year all by the same killer on the loose.
- Fine, you found Jan Mayen. I hope you're happy.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V allows this. He is sending a commission to help in the translation. The pontiff says that after the translation is finished, it must be sent to Rome to be analyzed by him and the Curia to see if there is no error in it before being approved.
- Swiss Confederacy: The new Cantons of Sargans, Werdenberg and Montfort are given seats represented by their burgomaster on the Central Council, increasing its size 24 members (21 cantons plus three special seats). The Central Council continues to work on the integration of these new territories by ordering the improvement of infrastructure and roads in these areas and connecting them to the neighbouring Cantons of St. Gallen, Toggenburg, Glarus and Chur. To help with this integration, the Central Council writes to Pope Nicholas V, asking to set up a second priory of the Order of Divine Mercy in the Confederacy (the first being the Priory of Schwyz), selecting Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort as a possible location. (Papal response) In Chur, the Bishop Frederick Capet works on restoring the bishopric's finances after the mismanagement by the deposed Peter Gelyto. The government also works on encouraging trade both within the Swiss Confederacy and with surrounding states (including former Habsburg vassals now liberated by the Treaty of Augsburg like Kyburg and Thurgau) to improve the economy after the expenditures of the Bohemian military campaign. The Central Council continues to observe the conflict between Padania and Venice and is doubtful about the change of government in Venice given that the excommunicated doge Mastino was just succeeded by his son and was allowed to remain a general, but the Swiss government decides to stay neutral pending further developments. The Central Council also observes the diplomatic situation in France after the revocation of the Treaty of London and remain determined to aid King Victor of France should conflict with England break out again. Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits Count Louis II of Flanders and proposes a marriage between Ulrich's son Heinrich II von Lenzburg (b. 1344) and Louis II's daughter Margaret III of Flanders (b. 1350). (Mod response) Domestically, the government works on improving trade and food stockpiling in the major cities. The joint military of the Swiss Confederacy focuses on fortifying the city of Schwyz, seat of the Central Council.
- Marriage declined (see previous turn's mod event.)
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V sents a group of Mercedine monks led by Ludovico Mazzo.
- Swiss Diplomacy: Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits Gerlach II, who just became Count of Nassau-Wiesbaden upon his father Count Adolph I of Nassau-Wiesbaden-Idstein's death, and proposes a marriage between Ulrich's son Heinrich II von Lenzburg and Gerlach's sister Catherine (b. ~1354, OTL married 1373 and died 1403). (Mod response)
- Marriaged agreed.
- Nyazwe: The development of the western frontier continues, with the movement of goods and settlers into the west under their own power and funding. Some of the migrants into the west consist of individuals who received restitution from the central government the year before, and have moved away from their home regions for a new life in a new land. Katima Mulilo has grown as a direct result of the several years of migration through its area, becoming a center of trade and production for those individuals seeking a new life out west. To the east of the city, the cities of Bambusi and Ingombe Ilede have likewise benefited from Katima Mulilo's growth, as the two help manufacture tools and weapons for the settlers and military garrisons who remain somewhat dependent upon the goods produced back in the home territories of the Shona. In the south, the three districts effected by the civil war continue to undergo extensive reconstruction and resettlement of cities, roads, infrastructure, rural communities, and labor forces, with the government focusing on the cities of Malumba and Thulamela as the primary centers of reconstruction. The hope is that once the two central cities are rebuilt and their production cycles in terms of food and material items restored to full capacity, the two neighboring districts will be better placed to benefit from the restoration of services closer to their areas of rebuilding. The level of tax delinquency continues to decrease, from 47 percent to 42 percent, adding more and more members of the adult population back into tax base, allowing the state to draw on more funding from the three effected districts. The additional funding is put toward the development of additional infrastructure and expansion of existing infrastructure, allowing the state to fast track some programs of construction in the country. Using some of that funding, the construction of the armory at Lusvingo begins at once, with several dozens of craftsmen residing in and around the city moving to the site of the facility to begin low-level production of weapons, armor, and equipment for the Vakadanwa. In the port city of Muromo Weshiri, the continuation of ship production for the Zvikepe is permitted by the state, with a request for six muvhimi placed with the shipwrights to begin work on the vessels. Trade to the city continues to grow following the end of the civil war, with many foreign traders regaining confidence in the ability of Nyazwe to guarantee their goods and vessels while docked in the country's ports. In particular, trade with the Indian subcontinent is expanded by several of the Shona traders returning to the city from the far west. They have taken keen interest in exploiting the removal of several merchants from the city with ties to the old Mutape clans, and seek to find their fortune in the region as a result. In the city of Muromo Wehsiri, a young sailor by the name of Kusvika waZivanai determines to leave his homeland to explore the world, having settled all of his debts and established himself as an independent trader out of his home city. Reading about the travels of the late Munashe from several decades ago, as well as the great riches he encountered while abroad, Kusvika desires to be like that great man, and form a legacy of his own. Selling all of his possessions in the city, Kusvika equips himself with a book, some ink, and a stylus, as well as enough money to care for his needs while abroad. Speaking with a group of Swahili traders visiting the port, Kusvika purchases transportation to the city of Zanzibar, where hopes to begin his own journey to explore the world.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II signs a royal decree that institutes mass drillings of the army across the nation to increase preparedness for an upcoming turbulence. More specifically the personal guards of the nobility to be trained every day, while citizen militias such as burgh militia are to be trained at least half a day per week. Its strictly enforced as nobles entrusted by the King and even the King himself make unannouced visits and fine harshly those who do not conform to the decree. We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are further reinforced with the addition of dozen big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II conintues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also lead to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. Given King Edward IV's humiliation and loss of prestige by failing to react on France's provocation that is the revocation of the treaty of London as well as to defend Aquitaine on time (for an entire year) we attempt to persuade English nobles of the advantages that reduction of crown authority could have for them and to build support among the nobility for this lower crown authority, after all their King has failed successively failed them and he will continue to do so for as long as he is allowed. [Mod Response]
- Papal States: The commission that analyzed the miracle attributed to the mediation of the deceased Pope Gregory XI comes to the conclusion that this is true. Then, Pope Nicholas V declares Gregory XI as Blessed. The popes isn't pleased with the change of Doges made in Venice. He considers that Paolo della Scala as Doge is the same thing that having his father Mastino in this position. The pontiff see this as an attempt to deceive him and says that the embargos will only be removed if a Doge from a different family is elected, since the Scala Family proved to be so greed. The streets of Rome continues to be paved and the Basilica of Our Lady of Victory continues to be build. The books donated by Hispania are deposited in the Sistine Library. The Holy Father creates as cardinal Simon da Borsano (Papal States). The Workers of Charity continue to help the people of Ostia and their orphanage continue to give protection to abandoned children. Rumors of Elena Cimorelli having the Stigmata start to attract people to the Convent of Saint Augustine. Escorted by the Swiss Guard, the pope goes in visit to Lotharingia and personally crowns Charles VII as king. The Coptic community living in the March of Ancona continues to flourish with Youhanna Daoud as their bishop.
- Kingdom of Portugal: This year is marked by both sadness and happiness as the king's younger brother dies after having slipped on some wet money and broke his neck. In late March, the queen gives birth to a baby son who is named Peter-Ferdinando and is named as crown prince. Meanwhile, the king continues funding the navy while also funding the army but to a lesser extent.
- Republic of Venice: When on the battlefield after the battle of Parma, General Mastino della Scala notices an interesting oddity: Despite losing all tactical advances at this point, the casualties are always at least 500 men larger on the Padanian side, despite Venice fielding a smaller army. SECRET In a letter to Marshal Francesco Ordelaffi, he orders a new doctrine: the tactical losses shall be accepted, but the soldiers should be drilled in their discipline and their rage to kill or wound as many soldiers as possible. 4,000 Greeks from the Aegean Islands and Crete and 2,000 more Tartar horsemen are called to arms, the greeks are sent to Albania to fortify Durazzo with 3,000 men (making the overall force of 5,500 men there). The new “sloped frontline” tactic becomes more widely adapted since the tactical supremacy of the become more widely adapted, the officers are trained to coordinate this formation in addition to others. A defensive tactic, that splits the formation into two that leave a small gap in the middle is developed as well. When the enemies see the gap and rush into it, the left and right flank move back to the center, while light horsemen, who are held back at the battle first, rush into the center and the troops are crushed from three sides, only leaving a retreat as an option. Furthermore, the trebuchets are developed further with being able to carry more weight, so that the projectiles can fly more far and higher over the walls of the besieged city. SECRET END After not having won the Siege of Parma, the reinforced 16,000 plus 4,000 men who came from the colonies and from the other army, attempt a second attack on the city, as it opens the road to Milan itself. The city is pounded with a bombardment of barrels full of oil and flammable liquids for an entire day, then, after the confused inhabitants seem to fear no greater threat coming, as no further bombing is continued for the night (as the oil is left to soak into the wood and roofs of the buildings). However, in the moment the first sunlight comes over the horizon, burning haystacks will be shot over the city walls and light the entire city on fire, wreaking havoc due to the fact than now every inch of the town is soaked in flammable oil, and that the cement of the walls decomposes due to the heat, making every structure made from stone immensely vulnerable to heavy artillery. A battle emerges in the early morning of the 14th of June 1370 led by the well known and experienced General Mastino della Scala, where the Venetians attack the city walls, constantly pounding the defensive positions and city walls with heavy projectiles, while cannons, siege weapons and strict formations try to enter the city (ALGO NEEDED). The other part of the Army in the south, meanwhile, continues to raid any supply line going north, causing delays. To combat the bad economic situation, the textile, arms and oil industry is vastly expanded. However, trade is conducted over the vassal of Ragusa, that is not affected by the embargo (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). The pope is once again asked to lift the embargo and to make the Venetian contracts count again, as a virtuous man is now Doge of Venice, ready to be more measured in his policies. (PAPACY RESPONSE NEEDED).
- Kingdom of France: The first army to enter Aquitaine in 1369 consisted of about 3,000 men led by Louis de Serre. They managed to secure the allegiance of the border counties and force the surrender a number of enemy villages, before being turned back by a fresh army from England. By 1370, the two nations are definitively at war once again. In the midst of this, Charles of Blois becomes more emboldened in his efforts to unseat the English from their holdings in the Duchy of Brittany. Seeking a decisive end to the Breton civil war, he attempts to starve the stubborn Montfortists out of their forts using aggressive siege tactics. Charles is initially supported by 5,200 crown troops led by the knight and newly appointed Constable of France, Gilbane Belaud. In late 1370, however, Belaud is recalled to the south to investigate reports of a marauding English army somewhere in the countryside, and so the scope of operations in Brittany becomes limited. Belaud reaches Guyenne around Christmastide, and encounters the English army near Angoulême.
- Sultanate of Hindustan: Promising boys captured in warfare are trained in an atmosphere of military distinction and go on to occupy senior posts in the army. These men are trained to be extremely loyal to the Sultan and are trained in the Madrassa of Delhi under the supervision of the Sultan. This system is the brainchild of Feroze Khan Khilji. The Sultanate goes on another push for the establishment of Bimaristans (Hospitals) and pharmacies in the major cities. Preparations are being made for a Southern Expedition.
- Japanese Empire: This year sees the return of not only Kong Ren but also a cadre of Confuscian scholars and Chinese historians who are able to help delve far and deep into the history and impact of the golden eras of both the Tang Dynasty as well as the Japanese Heian period. Emperor Yoshishege is devastated by the death of his son and daughter in an accident of their own causing in the imperial palace prompting him to elevate the son of one of his concubines the boy named Kanmu to the position of crown prince. At the ripe age of five the boy is turned over to the Kampaku Ujio of the resurgent and loyal Tetsuko clan who is to become is mentor of the boy. This also does however prompt Emperor Yoshishege to section off time for the boy to spend with Kong Ren to learn Chinese as well as of some of the Chinese Philosophies which have begun to emerge in importance for their influence of Japanese history and previous and current system of government. The Imperial economy begins to enlarge and grow as the relative prosperity of the general populace begins taking place as well. The trade for the empire continues to grow further as well with more ships by the year reaching out to new trade destinations. The development of trade relationships specifically in the Luzon kingdoms have led to some small portside warehouses being purchased in order to help with some of the trade goods volume comming out of the islands. The Imperial army conducts a new drill this year including the Kyoto Imperial Guards and 7000 new troops into the Imperial army as drilling and training are conducted at a military encampment near the Capital. With the invigorated study of Tang and Heian era culture, art, arcitecture, even law, The Capital city of Kyoto sees the beginnings of a rebuild inspired by the Emperor who has taken serious steps to replace or repaint much of the wood and other effects in the Castle with Heian era things. This does also see the first of the "New Heian" period paintings produced by retired Emperor Katsuomoto himself alongside with two Ronin from the Kensei order who had taken up these new art styles as a way of calming the mind. With so much existing Heian culture and buildings surviving the possibility of restructuring cities to this aesthetic is clear and a serious investment and imperial patronage is put into any arcitecture school who was experimenting or reviving these building styles. The four noble houses see their own forms of Kanshi (poetry written in Chinese by Japanese people) to reclaim some of the former glory of some of this early era poetry. However of the high noble houses a new form in direct competition with the Kanshi and more accessable but requiring extended high vocabulary of Classical Japanese still spoken primarily by the upper nobility and the Imperial family. These poems stand at about five to seven lines much like the Kanshi.
- Kingdom of Eiru: With the end of the revolt and growing piracy concerns the King orders a force comprised of merchant ships to attempt to deal with the pirates. This attempt fails miserably with their poorly maneuverable ships encountering a series of embarrassing defeats. In an attempt to turn the tide the Parliament of Kings authorises a shipping tribute with each lesser King agreeing with all the other lesser Kings how much they have to pay in tribute for the formation of a navy and some 6,000 Pounds is raised in taxes for a navy. Aware they need someone to command the fleet, Dubhghall Aengus is offered a full pardon and a position as Admiral in the newly formed Irish navy. He recruits a combination of former pirates, merchants, fishermen, soldiers and some unskilled labourers. Pay is one Pound a year for the unskilled and two Pounds a year for the experienced. Construction begins on a new force of war galleys as well as training for rowers in preparation for an offensive campaign next year. Additionally a network of watchtowers and signal flames are constructed to allow better response.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We propose to our Irish kindred the formation of a confederation aimed at containing the English threat that has started to resurge. This union would be a loose state which each one of its members would participate with an equal vote in the election of an Celtic Emperor with very limited authorities, such as first and foremost the defense of the realm, coordinating the security of the high seas and containing piracy that has gone rampant lately and whatever other authorities agreed at a later date. We offer the heavily fortified Isle of Mann to serve as the Imperial capital, as its ideally located in a strategic chokepoint between all Celtic nations. We also propose mass weddings between our nobility.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": Celebrations in the whole empire go wild as they remember that Christ has been born 1,370 years ago 137 decades ago. Many, including the king, eat sprouts with meats such as rabbit, chicken and some even eating doves. This all in the spirit of Christmas, that warmth will stay with all people of the Empire. With the presure to create an Imperial roman navy Emperor Charles VII tasks Βελισάριος Φωκάς (Belisarius Phokas) the First grand Admiral of the Lotharingian navy to create a Imperial navy. As Charles fears that without a force who can defend trade during peace, that baltic piracy could become a big problem. As trade also makes it more profitable for pirates and vandals, so the emperor wishes to counter this as less trade would mean less money. The loss being due less ships to get paid a toll from, and from trade possible diverting to outside of the empire, which would slow inovation and knowledge. This concept having proven succesfully by the Praetorian guard, which is force meant to protect of the emperor and keep the peace. The emperor using the force often to keep peace and handle bandits and criminals, thus the praetorian guard is also taught how to keep down riots and more without deaths. This teaching of non fatal manners of crowd control being as a means to ensure that the discontent and more does not spread. While they do also get the highest quality of cannons and siege weaponry to do the last efforts to either victory or to prevent defeat. Weaponry that the Royal army begins to adopt slowly, this being in the form of regulations for smiths on the lengths for Pikes and size for chainmail rings for the peasantry. These regulations only being for the peasantry, the Nobility being allowed to spend their own wealth. This small amouth of standardisation, is done so one can order a weapon anywhere in the kingdom and still expect something simmilar in style and handling. These standardisations being recomended lengths of pike staffs and forms, this will also standardise the cost. To help costs King Karl decides by Royal edict to enforce a currency exchange rate of the currencies in the Kingdom. This enforced currency exchange rate is so trade is easier, and merchants know what money they will get for their own. This also helps against scamming and criminal activities with giving very bad exchange rates to merchants.
- Kingdom of Padania: In response to the continuation of the siege by Venice Cassono brings the full might of his force bolstered by an additional 5,000 mercenaries hired in Milan to defend Parma with the assistance of cannons being fired from the walls Cassono also sets up fire and oil to assist in making any would be attempts to break down the gates fail. Secret: Cassono hires a florentine assassin to eliminate the Venetian general mastino della scalla
English and French forces clash in Aquitaine, re-igniting the Anglo-French War over English territories on the continent.
King Victor of France dies at an old age, and is succeeded by his son, crowned King Louis X.
Duke Rainauld III of Guelders dies without any offspring. The two contenders for the throne are relatives Count John II of Blois and Duke William II of Julich. This immediately becomes a local civil war.
Novgorod and the Rus states launch a new war against the Golden Horde to force them to relinquish Moscow and Vladimir as vassals.
The young Queen Margaret and King Haakon have a child of their own, born in the union between the houses of Estrisden and Bjelbo
The Kingdom of Dai Viet begins to experience agricultural defficiencies after their absorption of Cambodia, causing an overall decline in their population. The resulting financial collapse in some regions cuases Dai Viet to become unable to meet their annual payments of tribute to Tian China.
Following the victory over Ajuuran, significant local unrest continues in Ethiopia across the horn of Africa, due to the majority Muslim or African pagan populations, as well as the language and cultural disparity.
Western Anatolia experiences sporadic uprisings of local Muslim populations against their recent subjugation by the Latin and Byzantine Empires. It is rumored these revolts are all orchestrated by a single person or group of persons, whose identity remains unknown.
In Japan, many peasant clans begin organizing together in bands as an attempt to resist the rampant taxation from the Imperial court.
- Kingdom of England: We pull back all of our 3,000 troops into Aquitaine and Calais to start to play a defensive war, we build defensive positions around our borders to protect our people, we send one of top young commanders in James Green of Tewkesbury to Aquitaine and Andrew Smith of Hull to Calais, Darwin Sheffield arms is pumping our arms and Armour, we make shipyard on the Isle of Wight which start to pump out trade and warships, we start to we ask Scotland for 20 cannons to put our new ships and can copy them to make more [Scottish response] we send 1,000 each to Aquitaine and Calais to defend, we send the Treaty of the Mumbels, we raise the army slighting with more men, Castle Yuengling and Gothra Roadhouseare coming together nicely will be done in the next ten years we also implant militias in every town and city just in case, more infrastructure goods, incase of war a fortification strategy gets put in place build walls and seaforts and more around England, we also start to beef up our Scottish border with protection.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: We agree to sell England 20 locally produced cannons apparently to make a profit.
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: The tribute to China this year is swiftly resolved by sending fans, instruments, agarwood, and sappanwood as tribute to the Emperor of China. Recognizing that the western portion of the former Khmer Empire is untenable for Dai Viet to maintain direct governance, efforts are made to identify a loyal, local noble to govern the Angkorian Kingdom as a vassal, named after the once prominent city of Angkor. The chosen noble is assigned bodyguards handpicked for there loyalty from the Scarlet Dragons as well as assigned a military escort of 200 men from the royal levy under the command of Huỳnh Ðức Cường and also required to swear his loyalty to the Emperor of Dai Viet. The chosen boundaries for the new Kingdom is from the Elephant Mountains upward to the start of Ton Le Sap Lake and along the first tributary to the lake. To open up more labor for Dai Viet to commit to the region, the Slave Codes are suspended by the Emperor to allow for increased productivity from slaves. With the Slave Codes removed as law the Imperial government conscripts slaves from across the Kingdom to be sent to the Khmer Empire to work on expanding and improving water management system across the region inherited from the Khmer Empire as well as removing silt from the network. Further efforts to address lower crop yields has resulted in diplomatic envoys sent to Hindustan to request barley and sugarcane seedsto be used in crop rotations in Dai Viet (Hindustan Response). The Emperor orders officials in flood plains and lowlands to switch to the far more adaptable and viable floating rice strand imported from the Ayutthaya Kingdom through trade. The Emperor also orders that logging be limited to what's neccessary to allow for sappanwood and eaglewood groves to be planted and preserved. The remainder of the Royal levy under Kiều Sơn Hà, stationed in the Dai Viet portion of the Khmer Empire are ordered to institute martial law and to remove troublesome nobles as well as hunt down any remainder of the Khmer royal family. The infighting in the Imperial Court between the Pro-China and Pro-Independence have subsided as the Nestorians spearheading the Pr-independence side have turned their attentions to the removal of the Slave Codes which greatly concerns them as many of there fellow Nestorians are enslaved. The Emperor assures them that the removal of codes is only temporary until the situation faced in the Khmer region is resolved. Construction of the remaining ships for the Royal Navy has beenn supplemented by the use of slave labor under the direction of experienced shipwrights allowing for 13 ships to be constructed this year from an order for 60 ships. The constuction of the Riau Island garrison proceeds well into its first year with the port already receiving stops from passing merhcants and naval patrols generating minor revenue for the Kingdom. The acquisition of gunpowder this year by Dai Viet comes as a great surprise to the Emperor and due to them exceeding expectations in delivering this resource to Dai Viet with the Emperor order small scale production of the gunpowder weapons for now as a means of testing them first. The Emperor also increases the flow of funds into the work of the scholars in the hopes that they continue to deliver promising results. Efforts to mine gold are put on hold as the economic system attempts to balance itself out (I was informed gold was not as important so I'm scaling back on it). Prince Quan continues his education having become a promising administrator yet lacking as a commander while Princess Minh is still too young to learn. Diplomatic overtures are made to the Kingdom of Lavo to request trade and to secretly promise support for Prince Ramesuan in his bid for the throne in the coming years on the guarantee he recognizes Dai Viet territory, vassals, and tributaries as well as agreeing to become tributary to Dai Viet (Mod Response). Population estimates: 6,480,000 approx. (3,080,000 Dai Viet/400,000 Champa region/3,000,000 remaining Khmer region) (Mod Response, note: please revise or give approval).
- Lavo agrees to trade
- Roman Empire: Basileus John V, keenly aware of the many threats arrayed against his state begins a massive reorganization of state power. He calls a Synélefsi of the Praetors in Constantinople to standardize and establish norms of governance. The Emperor presides over the assembly and retains a veto, but grants the Praetors rights to vote in setting governing precedent. The move proves popular among the influential Praetors, and is set to become a yearly event and reduces decentralization in the Themes by creating more accountability to the Emperor. The Synélefsi of the Praetors also oversees the creation of a Politeia based in the ideas of Aristotle. The code outlines at a broad level the structure of Roman government, establishes the powers of the various significant offices, and outlines the powers of the Synélefsi and the Emperor. The Politeia is then engraved in marble in the Forum of Constantine for all to see and read. Despite including the Praetors in the process of drafting the Politeia the new constitutional documents outline extensive powers for the Basileus, but also lay out the powers and protections of the Praetors as well as general protections for land-owners in the empire. The changes swiftly reorganize the bureaucracy with an emphasis toward efficiency. Efforts are made to standardize and simplify the bureaucracy, clarifying not only the directive but station of hundreds of positions in the state apparatus. Taxation is simplified and enforcement increases dramatically as tax collectors are made more internally accountable and their roles are standardized. The structure of the bureaucracy is also integrated into the dynasty with Theodore I appointed Co-Quaestor. The move places within the stubborn and honorable Theodore the power of investigation and auditing reducing corruption. Theodore proves effective in his efforts and mercilessly cracks-down on over taxation, fraud, and embezzlement. Andronikos IV, eldest son of John V and Junior-Basileus, is additionally granted the old title of Magister Militum, Master of the Troops. The title comes at the head of a newly reorganized bureaucratic structure, the Ypiresía Militum, or Military Bureau. The branch of government supports the procurement and maintenance of arms, pay of soldiers, and management of national arsenals. Andronikos IV, a resolute and bold leader sets about improving the strength of the army. Opposed to mercenaries, he increases spending dedicated to training and fielding Roman citizens. He personally oversees the establishment of a renewed system of Tagmata and Themes. The Vestiaritai is divided into two tagma, the Esovestiaritai, a small 250 men household guard, and the Exovestiaritai, a much larger 1,000 strong standing force. The Varangian Guard, a shadow of its former self, is reconstituted from the guard of Theodore I Laskaris into a fully-fledged force of 250 Imperial Guardsmen its own Tagma. He sends dozens of emissaries abroad to seek out metal-working techniques to improve the quality of Roman military equipment. Of particular interest are the Catalan Forges of Spain, and Emperor Francisco de España is asked if he will allow Romans to study and copy the technology (Orlando Response, Please) General Alexios Apokaukos, now in his 73 year, drafts his opus magnus, a military treatise on the comparative contemporary tactics of the Franks, Latins, Saracens, and Persians. He is aided in his work by his two top Strategoi, Zeno Akropolites and Georgius Stauricius. These two young generals, hand picked by Apokaukos and battle tested in war are to be the new leaders the Roman Army needs to stabilize the nation and prevent foreign incursion. These two Strategoi each lead small contingents of the Exovestiaritai to the west-coast of Anatolia to combat the uprising. In secret they are directed to make contact with any leadership the revolt may have and potentially reach a political agreement regarding Latin Anatolia. (Mod Response)
- Mali Empire: Mansa Mustafa organized his military, inherited from his father and grandfather, to protect the private cavaran trade coming across the Sahara from Egypt, Ethiopia, and Morocco. This is also in conjuction with the sea trade across the Atlantic, where Mali's navy continues to be developed and expanded from the port of Dakar. The University of Timbuktu has continued to be an important hub of knowledge across Africa, and the cradle of the "African Renaissance". However, it is notable that this created a vast class and regionalist disparency across the Empire. The more developed regions in the north, west and center remained the hubs of artistic and technological advancement, particularly the religious architecture known as "Sahelian Gothic". Other parts of the Empire, however, remained as backward and rural as they were in the time of Musa. At this time, the ruler of Akan, Umar Al-Qamar, died at a ripe old age, which passed all his possessions to his son-in-law Yahya Al-Shams. This Qamar-Shams union secured all the nations of the southern border states firmly under one rule, whcih continued to greatly alarm Mustafa. Yahya assumed direct control over all the Malian navies produced in that region, including both the port cities of Koya and Nkorn. The assumption of the Malian navy caused immediate economic tension in the region, as Mustafa decreed that no ship of the Dakar navy should allow direct trade to a ship by Yahya Al-Shams. Mustafa was further concerned over their claims to Bononam, the only region left south of Mali not under Yahya's influence. In the north, Mustafa's Saharan expeditions allowed the empire to push its borders further north. The recent treaty with the Sidinate of Pisacus permitted the empire to set up the tribal regions of Mauritania as vassals under the empire, as a way to protect the tiny emirate. In Europe, the crowned Prince Simba travels north in Italy to the city of Florence (which he called Medinah Zuhur), said to be the most beautiful city in the Empire of Al-Rum. He asks scholars there to help educate him on the works and literature offered by the Romans (Padania RESPONSE).
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and cultural exchanges continue to finally slow down, although with the various market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy of the region. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into a more organic ethnicity. The Toltec war machine continues under the leadership of Uakusï Tonauac, who continues to raid a variety of Teotitlán-Mixtecan native villages and solidfying claims to the Empire through violence. Cazonci Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, now giving his care to the elder mathematician and philosopher Tenoch so he may learn basic, fundamental sciences. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, continue their training as warriors for the Empire, influencing their minds to the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in conflicts. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh continues to raise her and the deceased priest Tepeu's children, Iuihua and Chen. The period of the Text of Tlēolaltik continues.
- Papal States: After crowning Charles VII as king of Lotharingia, Pope Nicholas V returns to the Papal States. Encouraged by Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason, he starts to work with the Order of Divine Mercy and Workers of Charity to expand the institutions of charity of the Church. They start to make plans to build orphanages and hospitals financed and administered by the Church across Italy. With streets of Rome finnaly paved, the pontiff orders that the streets of Ostia and Civitavecchia also be paved. Elena Cimorelli continues with the Stigmata. The nasturtium usually only bleeds in the Friday and bleeds more than usual in the Good Friday. More people arrive in Ostia, wanting to see the beguine with the Stigmata. Now Elena rarely leaves the beguinage and can be seen always praying in the chapel. Her visions continues and she try to continue write about it her diary, but the wounds don't allow. Then, a fellow beguine named Paulina Vicini is helping her with it. After hearing about Elena Cimorelli, Youhanna Daoud, the Coptic bishop of Ancona, makes a visit to her in the Convent of Saint Augustine. He is impcted by the vision of the wounds and by visions that Elena decribes to him. He writes about his experience in a letter to the Pope of Alexandria.
- Kingdom of Scotland: King David II signs another royal decree recognizing the importance and promoting the use of longbowmen in the army, supervising the training of longbowmen himself to an extend, modeling and improving upon English longbow tactics that have proven so effective and adjusting their tactics to the general formation of the army. We keep providing Iceland with a steady flow of 50 settlers for Greenland each year. Fortifications continue to be erected along the Anglo-Scottish border. The garrisons at Castle Peel and Rushen are further reinforced with the addition of 12 big cannons each. Trade continues to grow, all thanks to improved infrastructure. The circulation of Scottish coins increases as new coins are minted at the royal mints in Roxburgh, Berwick, Edinburgh and Perth. Trade with Reykjavik, Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands continues and intensifies as ivory trade proves quite lucrative, the excess continues to be forwarded in Ireland, England and continental Europe. King David II continues to enforce his decision to designate Gaelic Scottish as the official court language, penalizing the non-conforming nobility. Hunters continue to increasingly roam the forests, leading to overhunting in some regions, while this also lead to some positive outcomes such as further economic growth. Lumberjacks continue to cause deforestation especially in the lowlands, leaving newly reclaimed arable land unused. King David II continues to enforce his royal decree preferring Scots over foreigners as tenants for the allocation of those farmlands on the occasion that they do not use this land for grazing, as its strictly prohibited and penalized harshly, tenancy is voided, fined harshly and all their belongings are confiscated. New arable lands continue to be reclaimed from the forests, allocated to Scottish tenants to serve as farmlands. The permission to translate the Bible into Gaelic Scottish is requested. [Papal Player Response]. Given the expansion of trade with Spain, the fame of the much reknown Catalan Forges of Spain reaches the Scottish shores, which King David II deems to be of particular interest for the advancement of metallurgy in our state and Emperor Francisco de España is requested to allow us to study and replicate this technology. [Spanish Player Response] (More to come)
- Kingdom of Eiru Dip: We agree to the formation of a Celtic Confederation with an Emperor of the Celts.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: King David is overjoyed at the Irish response and to thank the Irish High King, taking into consideration his legitimacy issues if there were to be a conflicting office of Emperor and High King, casts his vote for the Irish High King Tighearnach for the office of Emperor of Celts.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V allows the translation and sends a commission of theologians from Saint Augustine's University to help in it. He also says that after the translation is finished, the Bible must be sent to Rome to be reviewed by the pope and Curia. This is to not allow any translation error. If there isn't any, the Bible will be approved for use.
- Kingdom of Padinia Secret: A message is sent to Spain offering them Corsica should they work alongside Padanian forces to defeat Venice and promising the release of Naples, Corsica and Sardinia from the crown of Italy thus allowing Spain to keep them (Spanish Response needed). A different message is sent to Switzerland looking to gain access to Swiss Mercenaries to assist Cassono and Padania against Venice. (Swiss response needed) Cassono sneaks a message out to his allies in Milan with orders to gather forces of mercenaries and garrisons from Florence Milan and Pisa in an attempt to break the siege of Parma and crush the attacking Venetian forces. Cannons are fired from the walls of Parma to assist in the attack. An the mercenary forces coming from these other cities will encircle the Venetian forces outside the walls of Parma. (Algo please). Assassins continue to be hired to eliminate Venetian leaders and a Medici agent is sent to Bologna to sow minor discourse among the populace and tell of the horrific things the Venetians are doing outside of Parma and the greatness and continued victories Cassono is having. And the inevitability of Cassono should he continue to remain unbeaten. Cassono begins to become a legend among the populace of Padania and his wife has her sixth child and third boy. In Florence there becomes discussion of a legend of Caesar who many relate Cassono to. A man during the time of the late Roman Republic early Roman empire who created many reforms and made the Romans great for many centuries to come.
- Swiss Diplomacy: The Central Council offers Padania the use of 4,000 Swiss mercenaries, the number being somewhat limited because of the simultaneous deployment to aid France against England.
- Swiss Confederacy: As conflict breaks out between English and French forces in Aquitaine, Ulrich VI von Lenzburg attends King Louis X of France's coronation and on behalf of the Central Council he offers Louis the use of 3,000 Swiss mercenaries in the conflict against England. (France response) The joint military of the Confederacy, meanwhile, works on fortifying the nation's largest city Zürich. With the Padanian request of mercenaries, the Central Council decides to officially declare support for Padania in the conflict with Venice. Because of the redeployment of mercenaries to France and Italy the government works on recruiting peasants to be mercenaries to keep the domestic (defensive) troop numbers sufficiently high. The Mercedine monks led by Ludovico Mazzo arrive in the Confederacy and start to build the Priory of Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort, aiding the integration of the northeastern region into the Confederacy. Western Patriarch (and former head priest of the Western Church of Unterwalden) Mikel Mendoza (1297-1371) dies of natural causes and is replaced as Western Patriarch by Lluis Urrutia (b. 1321), from the town of Zumárraga in Gipuzkoa northern Castile, close to the border with Navarre. The Western See in Tudela sends an envoy via Unterwalden to Rome, asking Pope Nicholas V to create the new Wester Patriarch as cardinal. (Papal response) The Canton of Bern sends an envoy to the city of Biel/Bienne; Biel/Bienne was formerly administered as a condominium between the Free City of Bern and the Prince-Bishopric of Basel before those polities joined the Swiss Confederacy. Now Biel/Bienne is adjacent to the Canton of Bern but separated from the Canton of Basel-Bishopric by the independent Solothurn area, the Bernese envoy asks the burgomaster of Biel/Bienne for the city to fully join the Canton of Bern for logistical and infrastructural benefit (though they had not consulted Bishop of Basel Jean III de Vienne on this beforehand). (Mod response) The marriage of Heinrich II von Lenzburg and Catherine of Nassau-Wiesbaden is celebrated in Lenzburg. Domestically, aside from recruiting mercenaries the government gives some peasants grants for building new farms. The guild of Zürich tries to recruit scholars from nearby states in southern Germany in order to expand the prestige of their Zürich Library.
- French Diplomacy: Louis X graciously accepts the Swiss offer and, after his own coronation feast, holds another feast in Ulrich's honor.
- Biel agrees.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V creates Patriarch Lluis Urrutia as cardinal.
- Kingdom of Lotharingia: "Were Di": King Charles of Regnier is crowned by the Pontifex maximus as Rex Lotharii. This being one of the highest secular title in the whole Lotharingian realm. Just after the pope's visit Jan van Virneburg the Bishop of Utrecht died, this causing some trouble as the local cities do not wanting a strong bishop. As a solution Charles takes on the Mantle of the Prince of Utrecht, although the title of bishop keeps existing. Most Secular autority is handed over to the local councils and the prince of Utrecht. Thus the bishop is only left with the powers on the Religious matters with this, as it is clear that Utrecht cities are to unruly to be ruled by a bishop. This action of the King and now Prince of Utrecht splitting the secular and Religious institutions from eachother, King Charles asking permision from the Pope for this action (Papal Response). The Count of Luxembourg also offering to the Abbey of Stavelot millitary and economic protection, and toll free trade (Mod Response). All these actions are done to make the Lotharingia borders easier to defend and to suply. These new suplies all being for the New Profesional Royal army, where the profesional soldier is from the lower classes. These profesiona soldiers all having a set salary and equipment by the Mechelen parliament and the King. These units being for the lower ranks based on Merit, although nobility mostly on the higher strategic levels are more trusted. This trust coming from the lack of highly educated commoners in kingdom, as they cannot afford this education. So the nobility still has some advantages due to ecomic differences, economic issue the King cannot yet fix. As money has to go to Βελισάριος Φωκάς (Belisarius Phokas) and his imperial navy research. Belisarius allready having found the best harbours in the realm to produce these ships, the main standing issue now being money. As he has to find a way to finance the navy without making the realm pay to much. Belisarius thinking of having payments depending on distance to the coast and numbers of harbours.
- Stavelot would agree to this with the Pope's permission.
- Papal Diplomacy: Pope Nicholas V approves both.
- Iceland: The Population rises to 32,300 and King Domnhall is finally crowned king without regency. An heir is born to the Royal couple named Ólaf, the House of Sturlungur commission a Royal Palace in Reykjavík. A ship is added to the Icelandic Navy and put on patrol in between Greenland and the Mainland. Every Police force gains five members and the Duke of Greenland is made Chief of Police in the entire Kingdom. The bible is now in most homes on the mainland and the Cardinal of Greenland buys a transport to ship bibles to the Isles, he also asks the Papacy for a Writing Press in exchange for 50kg of Blubber(Papal Response needed). The Upper Council decides to add a delegation from Orkney, Shetland and the Faroe Islands instead of just for the Isles. ANinePerson Parliament is created for the Isles three representatives for each constituency. Three Scottish Warships are requested for sale to the Icelandic Imperial Navy.(Scottish Response Needed)
- Papal Diplomacy: Cardinal-Secretary Ari Arason helps establish block printing in Iceland.
- Sweden-Norway: A son is born to Haakon and Margaret, named Olaf. With the war—dubbed the Kattegat War by some—over, Haakon orders that a road be built from Stockholm to Jonkoping, in order to further connect and, indeed, centralise the kingdom. The project is estimated to take 10-15 years to complete. Furthermore, Haakon signs a decree, ordering that more mines in Dalaran and Vastmanland be opened, as Haakon believes this expansion of the mining economy could revitalise Sweden-Norway's economy, which has suffered due to war. Thus far the two countries of Sweden and Norway have had the same king and dynasty, but they have been separate entities with different laws and different nobility. The King expresses his wish to his advisors that one day Sweden and Norway could be further unified in the future.
- Kingdom of Scotland Dip: King David II offers to betroth his newborn daugther, Margaret, to Haakon's and Margaret's son Olaf to secure an alliance with our trade partner Sweden-Norway.
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: In the north of Walachia we did not notice a Hungarian duchy which was established called 'Fagaras' but originally it was a Transylvanian region since 1464 but, in fact, we are going to reconquer this territoyr to have it with a Translyvanian army of 2,000 men and now we send arrows to them in a victorious way to be strong or whatever. The official language with be Romanian no longer Hungarian due a cause of war of as the rank and recruitment continues the army conquer most of their north we sending, soldier in Transdniestria we establish a seperate Wallachian duchy for us to keep large main territorial locals in the Balkan, with cavalry of 1,000 people in total currently. Anyway, at the Congress of Bassarab, Prince Nicholas orders his son to replace him he looked exhausted to do this role he crowns him by naming 'Vladislav 1 of Wallachia' which could well occupy the economy, the tradition and the genre of the property role in their country. Anyway, a knight's weapon were made by the minister at the higher level of knights they would use kind of shield with a coat of arms on it and admired by the lord that would guide him for good reasons from a defensive way the guards use cannon in their main's castle for invader that came on their forest and a mercenaries is require to protect inside of the castle with guards full of arrow's weapon and organization in role of the authority of Vladislav I.
- Kingdom of Eiru: High King Tighearnach agrees to the Celtic confederacy and casts his vote for Emperor for himself. He travels to the Isle of the Man the new notional capital and is crowned Ameraudur of the Celts as Arthur was historically referred to in Welsh praise poems at Snaefell the highest point on the island where work begins on constructing a castle. Dubhghall Aengus in his role as Admiral of the fleet and responsible for ending piracy wins his first victory by having a merchant cog packed with troops sail around in the Celtic sea until it got boarded by pirates believing they were going to seize the cargo but the troops on board defeated the boarders and then captured the pirate ship. The first main Irish navy base at Dublin is established and galleys from the new navy respond to a call for help from the new system of beacons and chase off pirates raiding Kilkeel. More galleys are constructed and plans to open new bases elsewhere on the island will occur next year. There is also a crackdown on the resale of stolen goods including people which the lesser Kings implement forcing them to travel away from Ireland to sell their wares. The High King and Ameraudur Tighearnach remains open to offers from either side in the war for their entry.
- Icelandic Dip: King Domnhall requests to join the Celtic Confederation.
- Celtic Dip: We accept.
- Kingdom of France: The death of King Victor, while mourned by the nation, brings the last shred of war hesitation to rest. Until his final hour, Victor had pursued a peaceful solution, and for that he is admired. But after two confrontations on the fields of Aquitaine, there can be no doubts as to the current state of war. France needs a leader with a strong hand. A zealous Christian ruler, Louis X believes that no lands rightly under the French crown should remain subject to a foreign king. Before committing fully to the war, however, he spends some time securing the allegiance of the nobility. When this is done, Louis begins amassing an army, which he christens "The Companions". Agents are sent throughout the realm to recruit the bravest into the soldiery, asking, "Will ye follow God and King Louis?" An emphasis is placed on recruiting volunteers from the Royal Lands, as the king wishes to avoid placing a heavy burden on the vassals to provide men, and to prevent the kind of undisciplined pillaging by unemployed mercenaries that plagued his father's reign. Those with few external obligations and those who can show a sincere devotion to duty and honor are preferred, regardless of class differences (although knights who sign on are readily accepted). The result is a dedicated army, both well-trained and intensely loyal to Louis X, supported by a train of auxiliaries. This army, to become known as the Twelve Thousand Companions of King Louis, marches north to reconquer the Pale of Ponthieu. Unlike his father, who feared going into battle lest he be captured, Louis rides at the head of the vanguard. The 3,000 mercenaries furnished by Switzerland go with the Companions to Ponthieu. In Aquitaine, de Serre and Belaud launch a joint offensive against the defensive-minded English, invading the outer parts of the territory in piecemeal fashion. Charles of Blois continues his campaign in Brittany. Renovations are made to the Château de Vincennes to the east of Paris, and plans are made to enlarge the castle with an imposing donjon tower.
- Tian China: With the crushing victory of Chinese forces over the Mongols in the battle of Wuhai this year, and the retreat of the MKongol forces facing us on the other side of the region in our invasion, we are able to quickly secure control over the rest of the region and drive out the remaining Mongolian forces or force them to surrender. Large scale looting and massacres follow, as well as the looting and burnings of many of the regions Nestorian churches and Buddhist temples (which are looted for their wealth by the out of control soldiers, unlike the Nestorian churches which are attacked with approval from Prince Xuanye and the lesser commanders of Chinese forces). Although the Buddhists are compensated for their loses and sheltered from the out of control forces during the initial invasion for the rowdy armies are brought back under control, the Nestorians are allowed to be slaughtered and driven out of the region with approval from the equally prejudiced commanders of the army, who see them as a threat to Chinese control over the region and believe that it would displease the Zhiyěmán Emperor if they were allowed to stay, since one of the emperors primary personal goals which he has been pursuing throughout his reign is the eradication of Christianity within Tian controlled China. The seizure of this region leads to the meeting up of the two major army groups commanded in the war so far, with Prince Xuanye and General Duno’s combined forces meeting up in the city of Baoutou, the largest city within the entirety of the Inner Mongolian region. Xuanye agrees to take the majority of their combined forces and lead an further attack into Manchuria targeting the city of Bayisingtu (Tongliao) with 34,000 soldiers, in the hopes of securing the rest of the area bordering Korea and forcing the Mongols to the negotiating table. The non-Nestorian Mongol leadership in the seized regions of Inner Mongolia are offered leniency and honorary Han status for themselves and their families if they cooperate with occupying forces and help to defend the newly conquered region from Yuan counterattacks. We also begin secretly reaching out to those Mongol clans which we believe to be dissatisfied with the leadership of the incompetent Yuan Dynasty which has now lost multiple wars to us, and offer them aid and official recognition and allied status if they rebel against their leaders, the perfidious Yuan dynasty, which has only led them to ruin since the death of Genghis Khan. We also promise to respect their rights and lands and not to invade Mongolia beyond the Gobi Desert and Altai mountains unless they ask us to militarily support them if they accept this offer. (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED) Meanwhile, in other news, the Emperor hears of the Vietnamese moves to formally end their tolerance of non-slave Nestorians and seize the few Nestorian churches left in the country, and to silence the vocally anti-China factions in the Vietnamese court, which had been seen as a sign of disloyalty on the part of our tributary previously. Although he doesn't especially care what Vietnam does with its slaves and already formally persecuted peoples, he recognizes the gesture of loyalty and attempts touse their labour to ensure Vietnam has enough resources to meet their obligations as a tributary for what they are, and is appreciative, and thus decides to ignore the lack of tribute that Vietnam cannot currently pay until the war with Mongolia is over in order to give them time to gather the tribute they can give until they are recovered, and instructs the Chinese ambassador to the King of Vietnam to secretly inform him of this without allowing information about this to slip out to anybody else, with the implication being that severe punishment will result of it is leaked. In China itself, development of interest in the ancient Tang era and that of the Song continues, with the Tang slowly coming to be seen as the high point of Chinese culture and power, with many events culminating in the beginning of this eras historical trend toward architecture and artwork that imitates that of the Tang era. However, this development is still confined to a relatively small section of society, mainly among the upper class, and interest in this subject and the widely recognized “beginning” of what will come to be known as the Chinese renaissance not truly begin for a few years after this period. Nonetheless the first architectural projects and artistic pieces based on this stuff are believed to have started around this point in time. This is also the year where Crown Prince Shang is first granted any kind of official power outside of Luoyang due to his fathers previous protectiveness of him since the plague, and his belief that his son needed more time and education before he would be truly ready for any kind of official position and government. However, due to the Zhiyěmán emperor’s awareness of his growing age and fraility, the knowledge that he may die sooner than he previously expected as a result of this, and the desire to ensure that Prince Shang is experienced with ruling when he officially becomes emperor, he decides to go through with his initial plan which he had come up with previously but been reluctant to implement and appoints Shang as the Governor of Hebei, the previous seat of the Yuan in China. However, although Shang does initially try to govern he soon grows bored and begins shifting off duties to his advisors, including his wife, Princess Miyuki, and instead begins spending his time pursuing personal pursuits such as horseback racing, hunting, and betting on martial arts compititions, irresponsibly avoiding his responsibility’s and avoiding the work of actully running the province. However, the province suprisingly begins to prosper anyway, as the wife of Shang, the Japanese princess Miyuki proves extremley competent and surprisingly interested in ruling, as she is incredibly experienced in court life and administration from her role as a major power player in the Japanese imperial court previously, and puts these skills to good use to increasingly take over many of the responsibilities of the governor for herself from her husband as one of his primary advisors and manages to easily reduce the power of the other advisors, until she is practically running the province herself. However, her greater competence and the great amount of care she shows for the people of the province, which is extremley unusual in comparison to previous governors of the province who treated it more like a conquered territory than a core Chinese province due to its status as the former Yuan Capital and one of the last places to fall to the Song forces during the civil war led by the Tian to overthrow the Mongols, results in her beginning to become beloved and extremely well liked by the people of the province, who will form a large part of her support base for her many more actions in the years following the latter death of the Zhiyěmán Emperor, which shall not be discussed here.
- Kingdom of Portugal:King John I issues a royal decree which says that from this moment onward, occupied ciities will not be plundered.This is done due to a vision which the king says he experienced.meanwhile talks about a war with france has been heard from spanish souces close to the portuguese court,The king issues a small scale mobilization just to be on the safe side.
- Empire of Ethiopia: The Emperor learns of unrest growing in the Empire due to his age, his absence from the nation, and his three year war against Ajuran. To help quell the unrest, the Emperor orders an assault on the city which finally breaks through the rebel fortifications and leads to its fall to the Empire. The rebellious nobles are given one final chance to convert, and those who still refuse are executed, while the rebel army is captured and sold into slavery. The Sultan of Ajuran is made the King of Ajuran, in order to remove Islamic influences from the government, and new Christian nobles are appointed to replace those who refused to convert and were executed. The only Ajuran noble to convert to Christianity willingly was a minor nobleman named Sa'ad Ibn Ali, however upon converting he was given the Christian name Laurentius. Laurentius is personally greeted by the Emperor and granted large lands in Ajuran for his willing conversion, raising his power and influence significantly and making him a major noble. The Emperor also appoints an Imperial Governor to advise the Sultan. The Emperor also provides for the Order of St. Anthony to begin moving into Ajuran to begin the Christianization process. The Order of St. Anthony also translates the bible into Somali while also learning the Somali language, thus hoping to convert more Somalis by doing so. The monks also begin teaching Amharic to their parishes to help integrate the Somalis culturally into the Empire. With Ajuran now secure as a vassal, Emperor Newaya Krestos returns home in triumph, having secured the southern Horn of Africa. Cultural assimilation of the Somalis is encouraged, with Amharic being the language used in the market, thus forcing Somali merchants to learn Amharic. Additionally, the taxes encouraging Christianization remain in place. Newaya Maryam, the Crown Prince and son of Newaya Krestos, learns of Ajuran’s currency based system and of its mints. Seeking to learn more of this technology the Crown Prince dispatches a delegation from the Ministry of the Treasury to monitor the Ajuran mints and learn how to mint and maintain a currency.
- Japanese Empire: The organization of peseant bands greatly worries the Emperor. He immediately brings the administrators of these areas brought to the Throne itself and scolded and exclaimed out for their lack of ability to honorably and justly administer the areas currently up in arms about simply overbearing taxes. of the 14 arrained provincial administrators six of them commit Seppuku for their grave failings at request of the emperor. With much of the territory in unrest in relative area of some smaller noble clans in the area currently hungry for honor and prestige the nearly seven clans which has lands boardering areas of unrest are tasked with riding with Direct imperial magistrates and envoys to help negotiate and address the issues using their smaller personal and local forces amenable to them to help ensure imperial authority. While the unrest remains troubling to the Emperor, the Imperial army is put lightly on alert for possibilities of serious peasant unrest. With unrest at home a notable decrease in the amount of settlers to the frontier territories is noted with only about 10% of the usual numbers arriving in the frontier areas of Manchuria, Sakhalin, and the Kurils. Hokkaido however sees its own self motivated growth as the newly named Provincicial capital in Hokkaido, the city of Sapporo now 25,000 strong, begins asserting control over the islands hinterlands. Lands are portioned out and in an effort to promote the growth of two new prime locations for cities, three families of noble lineage of disgraced or fallen clans are given lands to rebuild their houses and maintain control. Development of the new cities is transferred over to a trade guild, and and artisans guild repsectively to facilitate the growth of new larger settlements. Sakahalin while seeing little immigration, secures for itself as well greater influence over the lands claimed and settled being able to conduct an accurate census as well as an accurate map of all current settlement. Manchuria sees the growth of a new city in its northern regions. A mix of japanese frontiersmen, and Manchus who decided to settle down after the disastrous plague to the south years prior. The city of Amuraji (OTL Komsolosk) boasts about 2000 permanent residence and has gathered a reputation for its sipping of vast logging and fur goods down the river to Aimoi. the dotting of new farms and even a small daimyo clan in the eastern coast show an advance albeit it ever so lightly of Japanese settlement on the mainland. The Joen and the councillor generals all vote unanimously in decreasing the tax burden on the peasantry seeing an interruption of their profits in regards to development and trade (mostly high level aristocrats who have stake in this) as unacceptable. While unpopular, one of the four noble houses and an array of smaller lords (who were making a higher personal profit off the higher taxes due to smaller estates not being taxes as heavily as the larger estates and lands). While unrest continues at home, the march of trade does not. Trade ships of all sizes now depart for Korea, China, The Luzon region, and the South china sea in greater numbers, reaching in some influence as far south as the Interior of the Indonesdian sea. The Merchant fleets have continually secured favorable trade deals as nearly 50-60 years of dealings with Chinese merchants on the mainland had given many merchents a certain acumen. Asserted as well by the well protected trade routes heading toward China, Japan, and Korea comming from all three nations combined fleets, Japan has begun to become almost a middle power in terms of trade. Non-tributary states arrive in the Ryukus and Southern Japan to trade for the goods of tributary states and China itself. The Imperial fleet also sees the final removal of its lighter wooden ships having replaced them all with the heavier wood and superstructure reinforcements. This effectively gives Japanese ships a greater range on the open sees due to improved durability and longevity of the ship. The review and revival of Hein period and Tang Dynasty concepts such as legalism have become a bit more accepted within the Emperors mindset as well as the higher noble houses and aristocrats. The influence of some of the Confuscian philosophy on top of the Japanese concepts of Honor mesh well and give rise to some more legalistic stances being taken on imperial court precedings and decisions. Plans also taken from late Tang dynasty methods are the full establishment of Japans civil service system and expanding it from just the apprenticeship artisan system, to a system geared toward employing not just the trades, but the administration as well. This all stems from the growth of Tang and Heian era texts which have emerged as of late.
- Empire of Hispania: As the Italian wars continue, Emperor Francisco lays no waste standing by to allow any form of waste in regards to gains for the Empire. Plans are drawn out and the wait begins as Naples Olive Garden thrives. The Lighthouse of Gibraltar becomes a symbol for the Hispanic People of Granada as naval development within the region regarding trade and shipping adds fuel to the economy within the region. In Hispanic Morocco, large defenses are put in place including the beginning of walls and fortresses at Tangiers and Melilla begin to be developed for defensive purposes. In Perpignan and Montpellier, troops gather in support of the british with the Imperial Council and Emperor remaining loyal to their word using the traditional method of the Spanish defense, an offense. The Imperial Army, 25,000 strong at Montpellier and 30,000 strong at Perpignan ready to begin their march toward Toulouse for the sake of defense of the House of Plantagenet claims within France but also the reclamation of Toulouse, a House of Barcelona claim from the French Crown. As a result, cannons and gunpowder see large amounts of use in regards to the tearing of defenses at Toulouse while the army at Montpellier cross the river Tarn while across the bank, cannons are set up to destroy defenses at Millau and capture the surrounding area in hopes of winning both battles in order to push back the French Crown. Seeing close relations with the House of Burgundy through Portugal in addition to their rejection of the Capetian King, the House of Valois-Burgundy led by Duke Philip the Bold is offered an alliance especially with the House of Barcelona and the Empire of Hispania's recognition of the Dukes of Burgundy to rival that of the Capetian Crown over France see this as an opportunity for mutual cooperative efforts to see through French Capetian defeat (Mod Response). On the ground at Millau, the armed infantrymen await to battle the French as the Spanish Forces use flaming Long Arrows to destroy their enemies at Millau while following a wave of cannonfire and a seamlessly unending barrage of arrows would allows the cavalry to cut down remaining men on the ground while Trebuchets and Catapults are put to use in order to help lead to a quicker fall of Millau. Using the Battle at Millau as a distraction and method of stretching the French Armies, the men from Perpignan surround the city of Toulouse with catapults and trebuchets using the Spanish Fire, a mixture of various oils to devastate the defenses while at the river Garonne surrounding the city is cut off as men are ordered to halt any traffic or means of smuggling goods to and from the city pressuring surrender as General Juan de Roses commands the Spanish Infantry to "Give them hell before death" in regards to the flaming techniques of the Spanish Army against that of the French Crown. As Francisco head off to the French Battlefield, the Emperor's children are watched over by the royal family as Grenades are used alongside flaming long arrows to crush the men that charge at the Spanish or to provoke those who fall back and wait while outside of the catapults and trebuchets to the addition of cannons put to use to tear down French Defenses and men by the city and within, the Cavalry are used to crush any Frenchmen who oppose the Army of the Crown. Seeking allies within France, the Council sends envoys to various lords and the wealthy of France in support of alignment to the House of Barcelona and Pantagenet cause as the importance of Spanish and English Trade within their domains in addition to various other factors would make and support an obvious argument for support of the alternative faction as the Capetian Crown had decided their own fate when they provoked an unnecessary war against the Houses of Barcelona and Plantagenet threatening the French Economy, Stability and Sustainability in their wake 2(Mod Response).Orlando aspires to be on the battlefield one day, he finds his uncle Ferdinand as a role model, one that enjoys the hunt and one that is actively involved in the council as he is taught the arts within the Library in the Palace of Toledo while also taught means of combat. The comfort of the Hispanic People across Naples and Iberia continue to allow Mediteranean Trade to benefit as the campaigns brought about by the Northern Italians increase the reliance of the reborn Silk Road Trade from China to Hispania to bring about a growing economy in a time of war. The Catalan Company hired by The Crown are ordered to assist in the defense of Plantagenet Holdings within Gascony and The Aquitaine as the Spanish Fleet disrupts French Trade within the mouth of the English Channel and Bay of Biscay. In the meantime, the forges and supply depots across the Empire including the Spanish Arsenals are put to good use in the supplies of goods to the battlefield driving up income in these areas once more as Barcelona's economy rises further as to become a greater envy of trade within the Western Mediteranean than it had been prior.
- Philip the Bold of Burgundy secretly agrees to give support to Spain, due to his rivalry to the Capetians of France and their ally Lothraingia
- Nyazwe: Reconstruction in the south of Nyazwe continues, with most basic services such as the transportation of crops, manning of garrisons, and production of basic tools has been restored. Malumba's walls have been repaired for the most part, while Manyikeni's population is currently recovering from the demographic harm caused by the Matupe rebels. Construction of the armory in Lusvingo continues, with partial production of weapons and equipment for the warriors coming out at a reasonable pace in spite of its ongoing development. Additional funding from the state is freed up through the continued efforts of re-establishing taxation over the population, with the rate of tax delinquency decreasing further. The state begins to reinvest in the construction of new roads and lodges for its citizens, to create a safer environment for traders, farmers, and transients to move along without fear of harm from criminals or wild animals. Seeking to help expand the economy of Nyazwe, as well as increase the number of goods for trade with the outside world based on writings of the late Munashe, as well as the information given to him by the nation's various merchants, traders, and artisans on the goods they usually find in the markets frequented by foreigners in the cities of Muromo Wehsiri and Muromo Wenyika. Though the armory is a good start insofar as its contributions to the production of new goods that have traditionally been produced in small numbers, as trade outside the country expands, the need to diversify the country's exports has become a major concern of the government. Based on these concerns, several merchants come to the Zvakane seeking a sum of money to use for the creation of several vineyards in the western districts of Nyazwe, where they hope to produce wine for trade with the foreigners. Though the Arabs are known not to drink for religious reasons, the Indians who visit typically partake, and pay considerable sums of money for alcoholic beverages in the ports. Chatunga agrees to the request, and provides the funding and authorizations needed to release the land for development of the vineyards. Elsewhere, the paper-mills of Khami, Danangombe, and Mapumgubwe are expanded as the largely literate urbanite population of Nyazwe has developed a stronger desire for literature which has over the last several decades, helped to fuel the construction of several printeries in the country. In the foreign regions of East Africa, Kusvika arrives in Zanzibar, where he documents his time in the city and his interactions with the Arab inhabitants on the island. He takes stock of their artwork, religious practices, and cultural norms, and find their all-encompassing faith of Islam an astounding aspect of Arab society. Though he is a fervent adherent of the more logical teachings of Faraism, Kusvika notes that he can't help but respect the religious beliefs of the Arabs in Zanzibar, though he finds their enslavement of black Africans somewhat distressing. Though present in his homeland, slavery as a whole is generally uncommon in Nyazwe, and the idea of holding someone against their will for labor does not sit well with the young traveler. Having learned everything he can from his brief stay in the city, Kusvika departs from Zanzibar for Mombasa, where he intends to stay for the following year.
The next phase of combat in the great Anglo-French War continues. The first phase is hence dubbed as the "Edwardian Phase", and this one is unoficially called the "Victorian Phase".
Owain Lawgoch, direct descendent of Llywelyn the Last, arrives in the court of King Louis X. He claims that he should claim the throne of Wales, and asks at least 8,000 men and 15 ships to invade England for it.
After their last battle with the northern Yuan, General Xuanyu is kidnapped from his tent by agents of the Mongol Khan, and taken to Khanbaliq for ransom.
Following the establishment of the Angkoran Kingdom, the Cambodian nobility nominates Damkhat as their new king, who likewise takes the title of ruler of the Khmer Empire.
In Japan, several officials or relatives of imperial magistrates sent to deal with the peasent unrest have mysteriously gone missing or found dead. Rumors spread that a special order of assassins have been formed using farming implements or cheaply-made Samurai weaponry, organized by one-half dozen patriarchs of the impoverished Ninjato clans. These clans help to empower further peasent unrest.
Emperor John V of Byzantium secretly entertains a messenger from the rebel leader, who only identifies himself as being allied with the House of Osman.
Ethiopia's attempt to convert the Somali horn is more successful among the upper nobility, but creates further antagonism among the common people, who cause bouts of localized chaos in some places.
France at this point invents the steel crossbow, which proves to be far more powerful and accurate than previous Norman crossbows. Some members of French clergy complain to the Pope that this weapon is far too dangerous to be in the hands of princes.
The Abbasid Caliphate goes through a great restructuring period of their administration, adopting the older feudal theocracy that was used back during the imperial Caliphate of the 9th century AD. As such, Palestine through the city of Gaza is placed under the control of the Wilayah Al-Qudds (the Holy district).
- Kingdom of England: we fellow the Spanish on to the battlefield, we send a collation invite against france to the Celtic Confederacy as the French Threats Looms on the isles, it will be called the isles pact [both players needed} we allow them to use any of our weapons and armour, James Green of Tewkesbury start to march his army of 4,000 to the city of Tours while Andrew Smith of Hull marches is army of 4,000 to Compiègne, we tell Owain Lawgoch to stop immediately form talking to the french and we put militias on high alert around the welsh border, Darwin Sheffield arms is pumping our arms and armour and supplies to be sent to the battlefield while isle of wight shipyard starts to pump out warships and trade ships with new cannons being made in Salisbury, (secret: we send our best spy Thomas lark to sneak into French areas to capture a steel crossbow to take back to England (mod response needed). we raise the army slighting with more men,Castle yuengling and Gothra Roadhouseare coming together nicely will be done in the next ten years we also implant militias in every town and city just incase, more infrastructure goods, incase of war a fortification strategy gets put in place build walls and seaforts and more around England, we aslo start to beef up our scottish border with protection.
- Kingdom of France: As soon as reports of an advancing Spanish army cross the Pyrenees, the levies in the south of France are raised. Seven bands of about 1,700 militiamen each rush to the mountain passes north of Perpignan to hold back and harrass the Spanish. These forces are ordered to use Fabian tactics to delay the Spaniards as long as possible, but avoid direct confrontation. Jean of Narbonne, the king's vassal, happens to be in his hometown at the time of the invasion. He marshals 7,150 troops from the fiefdom and its surrounding areas to reinforce the levies in the mountains. A larger army of 23,000 is raised and concentrated in Toulouse; it moves to the mountains to reinforce Jean of Narbonne and the levies [algo]. Louis X is on the battlefield in Picardy when news reaches him of the invasion by Spain. He stops, furrows his brow, and remarks that he "didn't expect a kind of Spanish intervention". By the king's order, officials are again sent throughout the realm, this time urging all the king's vassals and all able men to heed the call to arms. The war is now painted as a great crusade, a heroic struggle against the treacherous enemies of God who have unjustly seized the righteous king's fiefs. Even with worry weighing on his mind, Louis still leads his countrymen to victory at Ponthieu. The English army under Andrew Smith flees deeper inland, toward the northeast of Paris, and attempts to siege Compiègne. Louis pursues the English and engages them in battle outside the town [algo]. He then returns to Paris. There he entertains Owain Lawgoch, whom he respects as an old soldier who fought many battles for the glory of France. The king agrees to supply the necessary resources for Owain's proposed expedition. At Caen and Rouen, 4,000 men each are raised, and a sturdy fleet is prepared at Harfleur, from which Owain departs on his expedition [mod response for Owain's invasion]. The Companions are moved to Vincennes, where existing crossbow units are equipped with modern steel crossbows. Louis then rides to Clermont with 13,000 men. On the way, he raises two more regiments and outfits them with steel crossbows as well. The king stands firm at Clermont, in a valley between mountains, preventing the Spanish from going any farther. In Aquitaine, Gilbane Belaud recovers from recent skirmishes and aims to capture Bergerac, Bordeaux and Bayonne in quick succession [algo].
- French diplomacy to Papal States: While France defends herself against foes on every coast, like the good Pope, Louis X stands as the last beacon of God's light in a land ravaged by greed and violence. We entreat the Papacy to condemn this unlawful aggression by a warmongering Spain.
- French diplomacy to Padania: We request financial aid from the bankers of Padania to help pay for the defense of our nation.
- Swiss Confederacy: The Central Council of the Confederacy is outraged at Hispania's sudden and baseless "intervention" in the conflict between England and France. Bishop of Chur Frederick Capet and Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli send an envoy to Pope Nicholas V, urging him to condemn this senseless violence, particularly the sudden Hispanian aggression. (Papal response) The 2,500 Swiss mercenaries remaining in France are maintained, as are the 4,000 aiding Padania. Additionally, Ulrich VI von Lenzburg visits King Louis of Arles and Count Amadeus VI of Savoy, who both have established alliances with the Swiss Confederacy, and urges both of them to contribute as many troops as possible to the defence of southern France against Hispania. This is because Hispania were to take said region they would be in a position where they would be a significant threat to Arles and Savoy, and Hispania have already displayed their boundless expansionism in this war and several preceding ones. (Mod response for Arles and Savoy) Meanwhile, within the Confederacy, Bishop of Basel Jean III de Vienne is outraged at Biel/Bienne abandoning their affiliation to his bishopric in favour of the Canton of Bern, and he orders the bishopric's town guard to attack Biel/Bienne. On Jean III de Vienne's orders, several hundred soldiers from the Canton of Basel-Bishopric attack Biel/Bienne and burn the city to the ground, killing many civilians. This outrages many other Cantons and even other bishops of the Swiss Confederacy, and under the command of the Central Council 2,000 soldiers of the joint military of the Confederacy march to Biel/Bienne and the Canton of Basel-Bishopric, where they clash with the several hundred soldiers loyal to Jean III de Vienne. After some brief fighting, the several outnumbered forces of Jean III de Vienne surrender, and the bishop is arrested by the Central Council. The Central Council, particularly Bishop of Sion Guichard Tavelli, sends another envoy to Pope Nicholas V, asking for de Vienne to be formally deposed for his shocking violence against the city of Biel/Bienne; Ludovico Mazzo, who just arrived in the Swiss Confederacy with the Order of Divine Mercy, is suggested as a potential replacement. (Papal response) Construction of the Mercedine Priory of Feldkirch in the Canton of Montfort continues under the watch of Ludovico Mazzo. After the arrest of Jean III de Vienne, the Central Council immediately begins funding workmen to start rebuilding the city of Biel/Bienne to house the survivors of the fire, similarly to what was done in (ironically) the Basel region after the 1356 earthquake. Partly as a sort of penance for the actions of the Canton of Basel-Bishopric, the Canton of Bern asks the villages of Moutier and Grandval, which house the Abbey of Moutier-Grandval religiously subject to the Bishopric of Basel but were not yet formally incorporated into the Canton of Basel-Bishopric or the Swiss Confederacy in general, to join the Canton of Bern. (Mod response) As the city of Biel/Bienne is rebuilt, the joint military of the Confederacy focuses on fortifying the area and some mercenaries also aid in the construction. The government also works on increasing lumber production in the Swiss Confederacy, to aid both the rebuild of Biel/Bienne and to help provide weapons for the Swiss mercenaries currently deployed in France and Italy. In Geneva, Johanna von Lenzburg's husband Peter of Geneva has become Count of Geneva after the deaths of his father and his three elder brothers. Johanna and Peter have a third child, a son named Henry of Geneva-Lenzburg (b. 1372) in honour of Johanna's brother Heinrich II.
- Arles and Savoy will aid France
- Kingdom of Dai Viet: After receiving the former Khmer nobility's nomination for the new King of the vassal Angkorian Kingdom, Emperor Chinh orders an extensive investigation done by both the Scarlet Dragons and Minister of Intelligence into his history for anything that might prove troublesome for Dai Viet down the road. After ensuring he will not pose any threat to Dai Viet after examining his past actions as best as possible, Emperor Chinh orders him to travel to the capital of Thang Long to swear his loyalty to the Emperor and the Tran Dynasty in front of the entire Imperial Court. Damkhat (Mahayana Buddhist) is then ordered to return to the Angkorian Kingdom under the protection of 50 handpicked Rồng đỏ (Scarlet Dragon bodyguards) as well as 300 men from the Royal Levy under the command of Huỳnh Ðức Cường. Reports begin to flow into the Imperial Court of China's offensive against the remnants of the Yuan drawing the attention of the Emperor. Sensing an opportunity for his officers to learn, a diplomatic envoy is sent to the Emperor of China requesting permission for Dai Viet to send military observers to learn and detail China's inevitable victory (Tian China Response). Efforts continue with the slaves and labor tax to restore and improve the water management systems in Khmer Dai Viet. Illegal logging has still occurred without permission from officials forcing the Royal Levy to hunt down the guilty and punish them. The Riau island garrison is nearing completion with reports indicating only one year left until it is completed. Sugarcane and barley imported from India have started to be swapped into use in crop cycles across Dai Viet to allow for more diversity in harvest throughout the year with the use of floating rice as the rice crop yielding far more than the old strain of rice. Reports from General Kiều Sơn Hà indicate that that the nobles have quieted down for the most part and that efforts to hunt down the remnants of the Khmer royal family have been successful. Back at the Imperial Court, the Pro-China faction has been garnering more and more support as the Pro-Independence faction has broken apart with the loss of the educated Nestorians whose attention remains on convincing the Emperor to restore the Slave Codes across Dai Viet with little success. To ensure the Nestorian nobles don't resort to more extreme measures, the Minister of Intelligence is ordered to have spies maintain surveillance on the Nestorians. With the resources of Dai Viet being increasingly drawn to the Khmer territories, shipyards only produce 12 ships this year bringing ship number with the total numbering at 145 ships for the Royal Navy which has continued to expand its area for patrolling. The Emperor has also ordered the best blacksmiths from across Dai Viet brought to the Thang Long to secretly begin the manufacture of hand cannons, cannons, and other gunpowder weapons which are currently limited in use to the Rồng đỏ but plans have been made to arm the Royal Army with these potent weapons. Research into improving gunpowder weapons continues under Imperial scholars through field testing and experimentation with the weapons. The production of gunpowder is ordered in secret with all knowledge of gunpowder or gunpowder weapons being classified as a state secret in an attempt to prevent the spread of the knowledge of the gunpowder recipe and weapons using gunpowder. Prince Quan continues to show promising skill as an administrator but is lacking in his ability to lead men and fight. To make up for his failings as a commander and warrior. Emperor Chinh orders his son to go to General Kiều Sơn Hà who is overseeing the martial law in the Khmer region and learn as his protege. Prince Quan sets out the meet the General and is escorted by 100 Rồng đỏ leaving 150 Rồng đỏ in the capital to protect the Emperor and the remaining royal family. Census:
8,000,000 approx.(Kingdom of Dai Viet and the Angkorian Kingdom combined) (Mod Response, note: only if pop numbers need revision) Correction Census: 5.7 million (Kingdom of Dai Viet and the Angkorian Kingdom combined)
- Mod Response: not sure eight million would be correct. Dai Viet proper should only have about 4-4.5 and what you took should be about one million. Im not sure where your pulling eight million from. -Feud
- Angkorian Kingdom (Vassal of Dai Viet): Upon his return to the Angkorian Kingdom, King Damkhat sets to work trying to put the Kingdom in working order. He sets up his capital at the faltering city of Angkor due to its strategic position with all roads leading to it allowing for easier governance on his part. On the advice of Huỳnh Ðức Cường who is charged with the Dai Viet escort for him, he sets to work attempting to make certain roads impassable due to how they are easy routes to his capital. In an attempt to mimic Dai Viet's success with its portions of the former Khmer Empire, King Damkhat orders that sugarcane and barley be used in crop rotations along with the use of the floating rice strain. He also orders trees to be planted around the city of Angkor to return natural beauty to the area around the city. Some of the planted trees fail to grow but certain breeds have success in growing resulting in those successful ones being the primary ones planted in the area. In an attempt to secure labor for his restoration project, King Damkhat orders the remaining population in Angkor to begin working on reinforcing and expanding the water management system of the former Khmer Empire. Piggybacking on Dai Viet trade connections across the region, King Damkhat starts to draw on food and other resources from other Kingdoms to supplement Angkoran production for the time being as the majority of the labor force is committed elsewhere. King Damkhat ends the year by dispatching tribute consisting of only Khmer slaves to Dai Viet due to the need for resources elsewhere this year.
- Japanese Empire: The further unrest as well as the disapearance and deaths of multiple magistrates within the affected regions of unrest prompt further anger from Emperor Yoshishege. He assigns three Taisho (generals) to imperial levy forces escalating the issue further to be handled directly by imperial levied forces. The resuegence of the Ninjuto or "Ninja" as they are coloquially called angers the Emperor and the Daimyo of the four noble houses of Japan. It is a group of clans believed to be completely wiped out during the Imperial restoration however this has proven to not be the case. The three armies marshalled to 5,000 a piece are brought to the affected regions and they are garrisoned with a standing offer to the leaders of this unrest and various smaller uprisings. This is your one and only chance to negotiate, further unrest will be seen as an act of rebellion. The Imperial army is also put on serious standby to respond to any further hotspots and the City garrisons of the tri-city capital region of Kyoto, Nagoya, and Osaka are augmented by the 30,000 strong Imperial army which keeps much of Central Japan in line leaving the northern and southern regions barring Hokkaido and Sakhalin as the primary areas of unrest. The continued unrest sparks an outflow of free manpower from the affected regions as many move to the capital region or if capable run to the frontiers. Nearly 50,000 people are noted to have been displaced by the continued unrest with about 15,000 of them being rehouses and appropriated for work in the capital region. Many of them are redirected to the easy route toward Hokkaido and Sakhalin while few still are able to purchase their way toward the relatively underpopulated Japanese Manchuria. Hokkaido sees many of these people arrive and claim still more of the unused land in Hokkaido with more farms and small towns being set up. The foundings of both Nayoro and Abashiri are seen this year in Hokkaido as many of the displaced take up residence near or in these areas. The frontier government in Sapporo officially petitions the Imperial government for its elevation from a frontier region to a fully fledged Imperial province. This is done successfully as the Island has effectively addressed many of its underlying issues for administration and has opened up the island to easy settlement and high quality production as befitting a province of the empire. Sakhalin sees growth as well as the small town of Yuzno grows from the arrival of settlers. The new small town further north of Poroni is established as well with primary idea being to be a primary food supplier to much of the island with its abundant fishing. The establishment of more legalistic principles continues with the four noble houses and the various Joen drafting or modernizing many laws of the empire. Updating of Tax codes to reflect the new land surveys, the removal of some red tape in regards to development of cities and towns, as well as a set of national laws to be put in place specifically to standarize law across the whole of Japan and address regional inconsistencies in regards to Law. Criminal and land law is further established to instill in Japan a sense of across the board legal uniformity. These legal reforms occur from other attempts to established law systems for all of japan (borrowing from historic Heian period law) which is modernized as well as the many Imperial decrees that have long standing implications on law. The trade influence of Japan remain standard this year as more trade ships continue to fill in niches and secure beneficial trade agreements between non tributaries and the Chinese tributary system which allows for further playing of Japan as the helpful middleman who secures serious benefit from playing this role. Explorers begin to more accurately map the Luzon island system and a small survey is conducted on the northern portion of the island looking for possible sites for a future outpost. The gold and silver comming out of the Iwami mine continues in earnest which does helpfully make up for some of the lost tax income from the unrest in the north and south.
- Mali Empire: The navy continues to be upgraded at the port of Dakar and other regions, as the colonies on the Gorgades Islands are resupplied and resettled. The finances for these upgrades and expansions are taxed from the lucrative caravan trade coming across North Africa, as well as the Atlantic trade up through Morocco. We ask Hispania if we can purchase a couple of ships, and hire shipwrights for our navy (Hispania RESPONSE). Mansa Mustafa authorizes further expeditions north into Mauritania to secure vassalization of the tribes south and west of the Sidinate. The University of Timbuktu uses block printing to spread knowledge of architecture and mathematics, specifically the works of Vitruvius which this year are translated into Manding. The mass education system continues to incorporate local populations in the bordering regions of the empire. The tributary system in Nigeria also works to spread Islam and Manding culture into that region via trade. A new internal conflict has broken out in the southern part of the nation, as the conflict between Mustafa and the Shams-Qamar union comes to a boil. Fearing that Yahya would push his claim to the Bononam Kingdom, Mustafa declared that he was claiming to annex the kingdom as part of the royal lands of Mali, a claim that had not been implemented since the days of Sundiata. This was considered intolerable to the Bono people, instigating a great revolt among the land-owning middle class across the region. One wealthy farmer named Addas led this movement, and offered several hundred Bono slaves their freedom if they joined under his army. When Mustafa raised the Imperial Army into Bono to deal with the revolt, Yahya Al-Shams took the initative to intervene on their behalf, thus launching the Bono War. Mustafa's initial invasion of Bononam proved to be rather effective, and managed to cause much of Addas' slave army to scatter. In Europe, Simba learned from the libraries in Florence that he was not in the Roman Empire, which caused him great confusion. So he decided to travel to Constantinople, in order to be educated properly by the actual empire of Al-Rum (STEPH RESPONSE).
- Voidevodeship of Wallachia: Except that everyone knew that the new ruler would be crowned by the House of Bassarab. He will reign the region of Transylvania anyway after the campgan they established a vassal in the region of Marmatiei and a small vassal in the south of ukraine he will proclaim that he is a vassal of our principality the Wallachian king will marry a Ukrainian woman for his own throne one of the migrants from the north of ukraine called the 'cossacks' migrate in our little vassal a bridge in the north has been improved to access the danube delta for shops and relationships with own good stuff in our prespective's law regardless we know some region of Ukraine was controlled in the north by Polish and Lithuanians so we have to be very careful a church bell notice someone has die, which is was sad. Anyway, we buired them to the mausoleums in the cemetery of Transylvania's Slavonic Orthodox authority in property markets must be lowered their own economic prostrate every day Transylvania become a part of trade and merchant from constaninpole, North Africa and other powerful natio countries in Europe soldier armor are being upgraded Wallachian engineers with their metal tools to establish new armor and stuff from campaign and war many of duchy as been developed at their own limit.
- Sweden-Norway: King Haakon agrees to the bethrothal of the young Prince Olaf and Scottish King David's daughter Margaret. Mining continues to revitalise the economy, as major cities like Stockholm expand. Haakon orders more roads to be built in Uppland and Sodermanland, while the road from Stockholm to Jonkoping, now named the King's Road, continues to be built. More and more upstart nobles and knights who gained fame during the war settle the territories north of Halsingland and the territories south of the Ume River, due to there being access to untapped resources like wood. Birkarls also continue taxing the Sami in Norrland. At the end of the year, Haakon orders a census to be undertaken in the entirety of Sweden, Norway, and the province of Finland.
- Population is 1,675,940
- Sultanate of Hindustan: The use of the Hindustani language is well established throughout the government of the Sultanate and is also well established in the trading and business communities and is used as a lingua franca. General Feroze Khan Khilji dies, the Sultan’s elder brother and nominated successor dies at the age of 58. The Sultan nominates his younger brother who is currently the Wazir, Mohammed Asaduddin as his successor. The Southern Expedition begins, a force of eight tumen (mostly cavalry supported by siege weapons) moves to attack the Kakatiya dynasty, sieging the Golconda Fort.
- Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni: Literature and cultural exchanges continue to finally slow down, although with the various market places and a powerful trade route that continues to continue the wealth and aristocracy of the region. The Altepetl Tollan-Tzintzuntzáni (Toltec-Tarascan Empire) is declared in a state of security for the expansive territories of each state. This also develops major cultural connections within the four states, further combining the Huastec with the Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco. The Mixtec-Nahuatl-Purepecha-Xalisco group becomes commonly and informally known as "Tarascans" during this period, with most cultural differences being incorporated in all cultures, blending them into a more organic ethnicity. This year marks the end of the Conquest of Teotitlán, with Cazonci Nalhen giving the orders to Uakusï Tonauac on marching towards the mythological kingdom of Zapotek, and if their existence is confirmed, further action will be taken. Lord Ixdira, the brother of Nalhen's first wife, is appointed into governship over the recently conquered territory. Nalhen continues teaching his eldest son Xitlalnolli in the ways of proper governorship, now giving his care to the elder mathematician and philosopher Tenoch so he may learn basic, fundamental sciences. His other male children, the Princes Necalli and Nelli, continue their training as warriors for the Empire, influencing their minds to the ways of warriorhood so his legacy may remain intact in conflicts. In Teōmatācāyōtl, Iuizoh continues to raise her and the deceased priest Tepeu's children, Iuihua and Chen. The period of the Text of Tlēolaltik continues.
- Mamluk Sultanate: Al-Mutawakkil I remains a prisoner in his own palace, yet still has cards in his hands to play. While Sultan Al-Ashraf Sha'ban remains distracted with other matters, the Caliph has been creating a secret armed force, in the hopes of curbing the power of the Mamluk nobility and increasing his playing hand, as his Caliphate has been shamefully forced out of it's divine role from the beginning of the rise of Mamluk usurpers. Nevertheless, such developments are kept on the strong down low, as if such a ploy is found out, with the Caliph's current lack of strength, the Mamluk Sultan can easily assassinate him and appoint a more compliant successor. In terms of domestic affairs a few military reforms are made, with the increase of gunpowder and attempts to innovate in other categories. The works of Hasan al-Rammah are carefully studied in the hopes of increasing the firepower of the military. In terms of ground troops, the traditional Mamluk heavy cavalry beings to be supplemented by Mamluk elite infantry resembling the OTL Ottoman Jannisaries.
|13th century||14th century||15th century||16th century||17th century||18th century||19th century||20th century|