| The following page is under construction.
Please do not edit or alter this article in any way while this template is active. All unauthorized edits may be reverted on the admin's discretion. Propose any changes to the talk page.
July 18, 1936 - POD
- The Yellowstone Eruption begins, throwing large quantities of dust and debris into the atmosphere over North America. Severe earthquakes follow.
- Ash from the Yellowstone Eruption begins to blanket much of the American Midwest, destroying crops and trapping people in cities in the area.
- Word of the Yellowstone Eruption reaches United States President Franklin Delano Roosevelt who is campaigning in Illinois. He escapes by train to Washington.
- The United States issues a message to all states within its reach, stating that a provisional United States government has been created until all states of the union could be contacted, from which point the United States would be recreated.
- The former American states of Delaware, Virginia, West Virginia, and Maryland would become the first states to recognize the new union, retaining their representation in Congress.
- The United States begins sending military personnel through Delaware into southern New Jersey and Pennsylvania, scouting out the remnants of the former states.
- The United States launches a series of military operations to pacify the American South, hoping to establish a significant source of agricultural produce.
- Through a series of New Deal reforms the Roosevelt administration begins the construction of several government subsidized properties in the south, leading to the development of several large farms to supply the United States
- North Carolina and South Carolina are admitted as states in the United States. Georgia, Kentucky, and Tennessee are designated as military frontiers.
- 7 December - Franklin Delano Roosevelt passed away from natural causes, leaving John Nance Garner to succeed him as president.
- 7 July - The Marco Polo Bridge Incident occurs, officially beginning the Second Sino-Japanese War.
- 8 December - Japan established the puppet state of Mengjiang in the Inner Mongolia region of Republic of China.
- 13 March - Austria is annexed by Nazi Germany.
- 30 September - The Munich Agreement is signed by Germany, France, the United Kingdom, and Italy. The agreement allows Germany to annex the Czechoslovak Sudetenland area in exchange for peace in an attempt to appease Hitler.
- 13 December - The Japanese 1938 Offensive begins. The naval base of Pearl Harbor, located in the American remnant of Hawaii, is surprise attacked by Japanese forces, destroying several ships and aircraft.
- 14 December - Japanese invasion forces are prepared to attack the following locations. They are marked as taking place on 14 December because of their position past the international date line, despite taking place in some cases a few hours after the Attack on Pearl Harbor.
- American remnant outposts on Guam and Wake Island are assaulted by the Japanese.
- Japanese forces attack the British crown colony of Hong Kong, beginning the Battle of Hong Kong.
- The Japanese invasion of the Commonwealth of the Philippines US remnant begins.
- The Japanese invasion of Thailand begins from bases in French Indochina. Thailand surrenders later that day.
- 14 March - The pro-German Slovak Republic is created with Jozef Tiso as its first prime minister.
- 15 March
- Germany occupies Czechoslovakia in violation of the Munich Pact. The Czechs do not attempt to put up any organized resistance having lost their main defensive line with the annexation of the Sudetenland.
- Germany establishes the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. The protectorate includes those portions of Czechoslovakia not incorporated into Germany, Poland, Hungary, or the new Slovak Republic.
- 20 March - German Foreign Minister Joachim von Ribbentrop delivers an oral ultimatum to Lithuania, demanding that it return the Klaipėda Region.
- 23 August - The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact is signed between Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union, with secret provisions for the division of Eastern Europe - joint occupation of Poland and Soviet occupation of the Baltic States, Finland and Bessarabia. This protocol removes the threat of Soviet intervention during the German invasion of Poland.
- 1 September - Germany invades Poland, start of the Great European War.
- 6 February - Japanese forces successfully advance down the Malay Peninsula, forcing Commonwealth ground forces to retreat to the city of Singapore.
- 10 February - Japanese naval vessels and Allied forces under the command of Karel Doorman meet east of Borneo, beginning the Battle of Makassar Strait. The battle is a decisive Japanese victory.
- 24 - 26 February - A second skirmish occurs between Japanese and Allied forces at the Battle of Badung Strait. The Japanese are victorious and continue their advance south.
- 5 March - Doorman's strike force meets in the decisive Battle of the Java Sea. The Japanese are successful and Doorman is killed in battle.
- 6 March - The land invasion of Java begins following the Allies' unsuccessful attempt to halt the Japanese invasion force in the Battle of the Java Sea.
- Poor farmers lead a protest across the American South. The city of Savanna is sacked by the protesters.
- 2 February - US military personnel under the command of George Marshall marched into Georgia, retaking the damaged city of Savanna.
- 30 March - Georgia secedes from the union, following a military coup of pro-Georgian militants seizing the military fortifications in central Georgia.
- 5 December - The city of Atlanta and the nation of Georgia falls into the hands of the Georgian deserters, who agree to an unconditional surrender.
- 10 May
- Germany invades Belgium, France, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
- Winston Churchill becomes Prime Minister of the United Kingdom upon the resignation of Neville Chamberlain.
- Belgium declares a state of emergency. Churchill is called on to form a wartime coalition government.
- The massive German offensive against the Western front: The invasion of Luxembourg, Belgium, the Netherlands, and France begins. In a bold stroke, German paratroops capture the Belgian fort Eben Emael.
- The Battle for The Hague become the first failed paratrooper attack in history as the Dutch quickly defeat the invaders.
- 11 May - Luxembourg is officially occupied by Germany.
- 20 December - The Second Treaty of Versailles is signed officially ending the Great European War.
- Approximate end of the Yellowstone eruption.
- Georgia is readmitted as a state into the United States after a lengthy reconstruction process.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.