The Cold War was a state of military and political tensions between the Western Bloc of Europe and the Capitalist World (primarily the United States of America and the United States of Columbia along with their NATO allies), against the Eastern Bloc of the Communist World (primarily the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics and its satellite states along with their allies in the Warsaw Pact).
There is no total agreement between historians of the exact dates but 1947-1991 is the most common time period. The term "Cold" was used by the international community because although it was a war, the three superpowers never really engaged each other in direct conflict but merely bankrolled and funded violent proxy wars around the world. This period of history would destroy the temporary alliance against Nazi Germany as the sides involved had vastly differing socio-economic systems and as a result, saw each other as natural enemies. The Cold War would emerge immediately after WW2 due to a series of altercations between the newly materialized superpowers of the world (i.e., the USA, USC and USSR).
Being a Marxist-Leninist State, the USSR was a One-Party Totalitarian State where the Communist Party governed as the sole ruler of Soviet Society, owning exclusive rights to control all forms of media, expression, intellectual debate and resources whilst with its obligations being in the equal distribution of wealth and resources amongst its citizens. The Politburo is the main legislative body of the Soviet Union and acts as the main governing council responsible for the maintenance of the country's economic system, comprising of an anti-consumerist centralized economy. The Communist Party had the duty of ensuring the creation of a classless society as articulated by Karl Marx, and after the death of Josef Stalin moved to the inception of this kind of society by leading the spread of the workers revolution around the world. This was one of the main reasons why the USA & the USC would adopt a policy of containment against the Motherland, thus causing the Cold war to emerge.
In contrast, the USA & USC operated a totally different socioeconomic and political systems. As Capitalist-Democracies, both states were administered by a Multi-Party government where a Democratic Constitution regulated its power and guaranteed free elections, free press as well as freedom of expression, assembly and association. Egalitarian by nature, all citizens under both nations were assured equal human rights and opportunity (although this fact was disputed by the international community and USC itself in terms of the USA, especially after WW2). The Congress(in both the USC & USA) is the main legislative body for both Superpowers and due to the Capitalist policies of the nations intervene minimally in the active running of the economy. This means both the USC and USA govern economies where market forces operate freely and private ownership dominates. Due to its political system, both the USA & USC are home to societies where class divisions are vast and the gap in wealth between citizens is extremely huge, characterized by a rich minority class and a poor/middle class majority. This is the main system that the Soviet Union looks to overthrow, thus both nations look at the entire Soviet system as a threat to democracy and most importantly, Capitalism.
- World War 2 was at its peak with Nazi Germany at the brink of collapse upon a brutal two front war. The Soviet Red Army was ripping the Wermatch apart from the East with Soviet Premier Josef Stalin demanding German blood whilst the Allies(Britain, France, Columbia and America) whom mantained total Air superiority on the West were poised on striking a fatal blow on the Industrial heart of Germany ~ Berlin.
- The USC and USA launch a two pronged attack on the Phillipines and other Japanese occupied islands in Oceania. The campaign begins on May the 1st and ends on August the 22nd with US General McAurthur and CS General Greyson leading the campaign. After the successful liberation of Oceania from Imperial Japan, both generals would begin plans for an equally brutal campaign if not worse - The Island Hopping Campaign. But both the Columbian and American high command would postpone the dates for this brutal operation due to a number of logistics issues. On the 9th of September both US President Franklin D. Roosevelt and CS President Howard F. Johnson would agree for the campaign to take place the following year whilst their militaries prepared the logistics and continued their fight against the Japanese in China.
- After a brutal naval campaign and land invasion of SouthEast Asia by the USC, Columbian troops finally liberate ￼Indochina from Japanese Occupation after months of brutal military clashes between the Columbians and Imperial Japan of whom defended their extent into the French Colony to the point where 1.7 Million Japanese troops would be lost in a matter of months before the Imperial Japanese Command would finally decide to tactically withdraw from Indochina so as to save their men from the ongoing onslaught on the 27th of September.
- On October, the Soviet forces liberate all of Eastern Europe from Nazi Germany and plan their last offensive against the Wermatch & Luftwaffe stationed in Poland. On November the 3rd, Soviet Forces enter Poland.
- After some brilliant tactical work from Soviet General Georgi Zhukov, the Soviet Army gain absolute air superiority in Poland and surround Warsaw thus liberating the Polish Capital on the 25th of November
- The American Manhatten Project is completed and the world's first Nuclear Bomb is produced by the USA. The Trinity Test is conducted in Jornada del Muerto,New Mexico in the USA on the 19th of December, where the first Atomic bomb is detonated for testing. The US Government is first reluctant to share the horrifying breakthrough with their Sister Nation, the USC, but seeing how by February that year, the USC had begun funding the Manhatten Project with millions of Dollars to the point where they would begin their own similarnproject in the USC Capitol - Lexington, the Roosevelt Administration would begin considering letting the USC in on their new Trump card. Plus with their project in Lexington, sooner or later the Americans knew the USC would make their own, so best take some of the glory for it.
- On January the 26th, the Japanese Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere collapses as the last of the forces of Imperial Japan are expelled from the Asian mainlands by the the combined Columbian-Chinese Forces in Manchuria with a disorganized retreat from the Japanese forces there. The Columbians are quickly recalled afterwards so as to spare manpower for the upcoming Island Hopping Campaign with America.
- Due to the withdrawal of the Columbians from Manchuria, on the 18th of February the Japanese attack Korea with all that's left of their Naval capacity, successfully occupied the nation with plans to reinvade China. The Yalta Conference in Crimea,USSR takes place between the Big Four(USA,USC,USSR,UK) on the 25th of February. The consensus is that the only way for WW2 to end is with the Unconditional surrender of Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan, four zones of occupation for each major Allied power would be created in Germany after it was defeated, Germany would undergo de-Nazification and demilitarization after it was defeated and much to Josef Stalin's reluctance, the Soviet Union would have to declare war on the empire of January due to having neglected to since WW2 began.
- Although Stalin knew why they were cornered into declaring war on the Japanese, he planned to use the situation to the best of his ability. Stalin orders Soviet General Isodor Lagunov to prepare an attack against Japan similar to the joint US-CS island-hopping campaign with the Kuril Islands as his main objective.
- Meanwhile in Europe, the Western Allies (USC, USA, UK) finally enter the borders of Nazi Germany on the 27th of February after the disastrous Battle of the Bulge offensive by the Nazis.
- The CS Air Force and US Air Force launch one of the biggest and most devastating air raids of Germany by bombing the major German cities of Hamburg, Frankfurt and Berlin for a merciless seven days and ten nights - but Adolf Hitler urges his Reich to fight on with the delusional plan of attempting to form an alliance with the West and defeat the Soviets, whose tank fleet and air superiority on the east was overwhelming.
- On March the 3rd, Soviet Forces finally liberate Poland and Austria with their leader General Georgi Zhukov deciding to enter Germany just two days later.
- In the Pacific the brutal hopping island campaign headed by the USA & USC with intents to invade the Japanese Imperial heartland begins on the 6th of March. The Columbian-American Allied forces would be forced to fight on the fiercely defended Japanese islands whilst slowly making their way up to Japan.
- On the 18th of March, the top secret Lexington Project is completed with US support and the first nuclear bomb made by the USC is detonated on the USC State of San Para, in the Monte Desert. Thus the USC becomes the second nation in human history to develop an atomic bomb. On the 26th of March, Josef Stalin's spies in the American White House inform him of the existence of Columbia and America's new powerful bomb.
- On the 6th of April, Soviet Forces enter Berlin. The total collapse of the German military was imminent. On April 12, the longest reigning leader of America US President Franklin Delano Roosevelt dies from a cerebral hemorrhage. His Vice President Harry S. Trump is inducted into office the same day.
- On the 18th of April the Western Allies also enter Berlin. With all the damage done by the Germans back at home, the Soviets would be the most brutal in their campaign to destroy Berlin and Nazi Germany.
- On the 22nd of April, with all hope lost after General Dwight D. Eisenhower's refusal to allow the Allied expeditionary forces in Europe to align themselves with the Nazis due to revelations concerning the holocaust, the German Führer Adolf Hitler is believed to have committed suicide with a bullet to the head, although Allied forces are unable to retrieve his remains because his body is allegedly cremated instantly afterwards on his orders. On the 28th of April the requests that had previously been made several generals in the USC forces - in particular General Thompson - to nuke Japan and Germany are rejected by the Union Congress and Columbian President Pierce. On the 30th Admiral Karl Donitz becomes President of Nazi Germany.
- On the 3rd of May both the Soviet Union and USC enter Japanese Occupied Korea, with the Soviets coming from the North after passing through Manchuria and pushing the Japanese out of re-invaded China, whilst the CS Forces would come from the South through a Naval based invasion. Faced by a brutal attack from two sides, the Japanese are ripped to shreds.
- Realizing that all hope was lost, Karl Donitz signs Germany's unconditional surrender to Allied forces on the 13th of May. Symbolizing the Capitulation of Nazi Germany and an end to Adolf Hitler's dream of a Greater German Reich. On the 14th of May, the Japanese in Korea are defeated by the Soviet-Columbian Force and are squeezed out of the Asian Mainland for the last time.
- On the 25th of May the Soviet forces enter the first Kuril Island under the leadership of General Isodor Lagunov.
- Many Nazi War criminals use the 'Ratlines' to escape Europe and head to French West Africa, modern day Mauritania whilst others use the same 'Ratlines' and escape to South Africa, where a racist white minority ruled.
- On the 4th of June the CS-US forces under CS General Greyson and US General McArthur finally defeat the Japanese on Iwo Jima, although at a great price as nearly 15,000 Americans and 11,000 Columbians died - as well as 7,000 US Marines. Nevertheless, preparations for the invasion of Okinawa are made and is eventually invaded on the 13th of June.
- After fierce fighting on the first Kuril Island, on the 16th of June the Soviets finally secure the island by defeating the Japanese whom refused to retreat let alone surrender. This behaviour causes worry in the Soviet High Command concerning the eventually invasion of Japan itself due to it causing high casualty rates on their side. The Russian military was already weakened by the Germans, they couldn't afford to waste away lives.
- On the 2nd of July the Potsdam Conference in Germany takes place with all the leaders of the Big Four Present i.e. United States President Harry S. Truman, Columbian States President Howard F. Pierce, British Prime Minister Winston Churchill, Soviet Premier Josef Stalin. The consensus of the conference is that the German and Austrian capital of Berlin and Vienna would be divided between these four powers, although Churchill is a little unhappy because the UK is given a very small zone of occupation in Berlin and Vienna on top of the fact that they were given the smallest piece of divided Germany in comparison to the other three occupying powers. Due to the West feeling that the Soviets were not honouring their pledge from the Yalta Conference and were instead occupying East European countries liberated from the Nazis instead of allowing free and fair Democratic elections to take place as agreed in Yalta, Crimea Harry S. Truman, Howard F. Pierce and Winston Churchill attempt to intimidate Stalin by informing him of their new device weapon - the Atomic Bomb, all of them are shown when Stalin is unmoved and hints that he already knew of its existence, instead telling Harry S. Truman to "put the weapon to good use".
- The Soviets take the last of the four Kuril Islands after defeating the Japanese forces with their massive tank fleet on the 15th of July, ending the bloody Battle of Kuril. Stalin orders a stop to General Isodor Lagunov's advance, telling him that "We will not sacrifice anymore Soviet blood for war between Imperialists, the island of Japan is not our concern, let the Americans and Columbians fight those Japanese savages". Stalin was right on one thing, the Japanese were all about honour and thought the most dishonourable thing to do was to surrender, as a result they fought ferociously to the end in every battle, this made them fight like savages indifferent of their own lives.
- After 38 days of fierce fighting, on the 22nd of July, the CS-US Forces finally defeat the Japanese in Okinawa, although at a great cost yet again. By this time the Columbian and American High Command were already noticing the devastation their forces suffered from Japanese hands. On top of what happened in Iwo Jima, they had lost a combined force of 12,000 soldiers with 50,000 soldiers severely wounded. When the ATA (Amalgamation Treaty of the Americas) released the Asian Theatre Document on the 28th of July to both the US and CS Presidents, it would be found that of the 20,000 soldiers who fought in Iwo Jima, only 1,000 had actually surrendered whilst the rest died, it also revealed that of the 130,000 Japanese soldiers who fought in Okinawa, a total 110,000 had died and only 16,346 whilst the rest of them retreated, the document also revealed that of the 206,000 Japanese soldiers who fought in the Battle of Kuril, almost 185,000 had died in Soviet hands whilst only 15,012 actually surrendered whilst 6,000 retreated, the document also revealed that of the 6,234,996 soldiers the Japanese had at the start of the war more than 4.8 million of them had died. To the Pierce and Truman administrations this meant that the Japanese would rather lose their entire force than surrender, this meant that many Columbian and American lives would have to be lost before Japan was defeated, plus it was becoming increasingly clear that they could not depend on the Soviets anymore. Thus on the 29th of July both President Truman and President Pierce together with their advisors would meet on the Chief Condominium (equivalent to the 'White House') in the USC capital of Lexington to discuss the possible use of nuclear weapons against Imperial Japan.
- On the 6th of August both the CS and US Presidents came to an agreement and gave the go-ahead. On the 9th of August the USA drops the atomic bomb (nicknamed 'Little Boy') on Hiroshima. When Emperor Hirohito refuses to surrender, the USC drops the second atomic bomb (nicknamed 'Thunder') on Nagasaki just four days later, a terrible fate for those living there, but for the Allies it achieved their main aim and on the 15th of August, Emperor Hirohito announced Japan's surrender to the Allies in WW2. Japan would be split into two zones of occupation, the Columbians would occupy the North whilst America would occupy the South.