It's the Year 1870 and the world is on the verge of war. In Europe, the French Empire under Napoleon the Third prepares for war against Prussia, which has been provoking Napoleon for the past few years. In the United States, President Grant leads the nation through Reconstruction, but faces opposition by white militant groups. In China, the Qing Dynasty still continues to reign, but in a weakened state after decades of humiliation and faces three rebellions. Meanwhile, in South America, the continent sees the end to one of the bloodiest wars in history as the forces of the Triple Alliance close in on the forces of Francisco Lopez.
As the world continues to march into war, many wonder who will rise and who will fall after the End of Peace.
- Don’t be an idiot.
- Don’t be implausible.
- Have fun.
Strikes can be given for things like open bullying of another player, editing events and responses without mod-approval and the like. If you manage to get three strikes, you will get banned either temporarily or permanently, depending on the kind of violation and how fast you got them.
- Legend (one ban) -
- Alti - I
- Mod: User:Colgan dog
- Mod: User:Ycasto
- Mod: User:Nkbeeching
- Mod: User:AshokSurya (aka Dev)
- Algorithm Mod: User:Stephanus rex
- Economics Mod: User:Person67
- Map Maker: Mr.Orwell
January 1st 1914
Sign up rules are: Can’t be two nations at once, you can only put your name by one. To claim a country, please put your signature next to the country you wish to be. If your nation has a puppet, protectorate, colony or whatever, then you may put your name under them and play as them as well as your nation, just put the subjugated state’s turn underneath its master's turn. If someone wishes to play a colony, puppet, protectorate, etc., then ask the master nation’s player first.
- /Imperial Federation - Steph (talk)
- Natal - Steph (talk)
- British Ghana - Steph (talk)
- British Nigerland - Steph (talk)
- British Central Africa - Steph (talk)
- British Senegal - Steph (talk)
- British Sudan - Steph (talk)
- British Kikuyuland - Steph (talk)
- British East Africa - Steph (talk)
- British Zambeziland - Steph (talk)
- British Guyana - Steph (talk)
- British Aden - Steph (talk)
- British Raj - Steph (talk)
- Third French Empire -
Principality of Andorra -
- Kingdom of Spain - NWO008
- Kingdom of Portugal - Majestral1
- Angola - Majestral1
- Mozambique - Majestral1
- Kingdom of Denmark-Norway - Rodby
- Iceland - Rodby
- Greenland - Rodby
- Luxembourg -
- German Empire -
- German West Africa -
- German Mittelafrika -
- German Madagaskar -
- Cochinchina -
- Kingdom of the Netherlands - KQBJ
- Dutch East Indies - KQBJ
- Kingdom of Belgium -
- Russian Empire - Tullin
- Kingdom of Italy - Ycasto
- Danubian Federation - Colgan dog 17:00, August 11, 2019 (UTC)
- Kingdom of Serbia - Poofoster
- Kingdom of Greece - Batran99
- Kingdom of Sweden - User:CharDestroyerOfTacos
- Kingdom of Morocco -
- Kingdom of Abyssinia (Russian Protectorate) - Tullin
- South African Free State (Transvaal + Orange + Griqualand West) -
South East Asia
- Kingdom of Nepal -
- Kingdom of Sikkim - Altacc
- Kingdom of Bhutan -
- Emirate of Afghanistan -
- Sultanate of Turkey -
- Sublime State of Persia -
- Rashidi Caliphate -
- Sultanate of Muscat and Oman -
- Dominion of Canada - Darkight1000
- United States of America - Mr. Orwell
- Mexican Republic -
- Mayan Republic of the Yucatan -
- Free Republic of Tabasco -
- Republic of Guatemala -
- Republic of Nicaragua -
- Republic of Honduras -
- Republic of El Salvador -
- Republic of Costa Rica -
- Republic of Colombia -
- Republic of Venezuela -
- Republic of Ecuador -
- Republic of Brazil - The Expendable Broccoli Rob (Say Hi!) 00:27, August 17, 2019 (UTC)
- Republic of Bolivia -
- Republic of Chile -
- Republic of Argentina - Feudy McPlagueface (talk)
- Republic of Peru -
The Dutch economy enters recession as the vast expense of supporting a fleet of more than a dozen battleships weighs on the government. National debt balloons and the Dutch credit rating falls as it struggles to pay off its many loans. & Portugal experiences an economic surge, as foreign and domestic infrastructure development propel the economy. Commerce through and across South Africa sees increasing returns and the country's GDP/Capita begins to rise rapidly.
In southern China, the Chinese civil war rages, with the Qing forces, now with Japanese equipment and supplies, making huge gains against the nationalist forces.
The 1909 Serbian invasion of is highly successful. Serbian Armies hit Bulgaria in a major three pronged offensive. The first prong plunges into Sofia Province toward the Bulgarian Capital, successfully driving back the outnumbered Bulgarian troops there. Further south, a second army attacks to cut Southern Macedonia off from retreat. Finally, the last Serbian Army Corps attacks the Bulgarian forces in Macedonia. By the end of the year, Bulgaria has had 15,000 men encircled in Bulgaria, and lost another 12,000 to the fighting.
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands: As the economy reels from the large investment in battleships all five of the non-dreadnought battleships are scrapped and two dreadnoughts are also scrapped with the parts being sold in order to attempt to reinvigorate the income of the Netherlands. The rebels in Africa are blamed in part for causing issues resulting in the need for military growth.
- Kingdom of France: We offer to buy up the incomplete vessels at premium prices (plus approximately 20 percent) to what the market offers for scrapping as our own naval buildup is underway.
- Turkey: As the Sultan died last year, Abdul Hamid II was replaced by Mehmed V. Skeptical about his previous statements made, the Young Turks promptly begin seizing various assets within the lackluster Ottoman Army and Navy. Although Abdul Hamid II had decided to simply allow the Young Turks to rule regionally, Mehmed V begins taking control of the loose organization as a means of showing dominance and a potential revival of the Ottoman Empire. He begins taking charge of matters, raising an army of his own of 14,500, and begins ordering the complete removal of the Young Turks. The Young Turks see this as both an opportunity and a problem, as their rule had been de-centralized and regional so as to not allow possible disagreements on the ruling leader. The Young Turks, with an army of roughly 100,000, show strength in a complete revolution, tentatively titled the Young Turk Revolution, with the promise of democracy, modernization, and of course, freedom and liberty. The resulting conflict only lasts approximately four months, as the Young Turks' political power over the state and the people allows their manipulative means to be exploited, ending with the death of Mehmed V. His death allows for the six-month process of properly transforming the sultanate into a parliamentary republic, with their being no direct political leader and rather an assortment of mixed-political ideologies within the governing Grand Senate. Throughout the six-month process, numerous political parties would begin to form under the basis of the current United States legislative, and around the final months of that year, the ruling parliamentary for five years would be announced. Out of the 200 seats available, the Young Turk Party would gain 179 seats, while the Socialist Workers' Federation would gain 11 seats, and the traditionalist Great Unity Party would gain ten seats. Although the Young Turk Party completely dominated the election, splinter groups have already started to form into the expansive party, leading some to believe that this might be the only time when the Young Turks' will be united on all ideological fronts.
- Kingdom of France:
Our entire naval force is dispatched to Antalya offering cutting edge armament, military supplies as well as military advisors to the Yörüks who despised the Ottomans and any other minorities willing to rebel such as the Kurds, Circassians, Laz, Armenians, Jews, recently Islamized populations and Crypto-Christians. An expeditionary force made up from 100,000 men is also waiting on standby to assist them shall they rise. [Mod Response] Powers in the area such as the Russian Empire, the Kingdom of Greece, the Kingdom of Italy, the British Empire are invited to join in stating that the Kingdom of France wants nothing more than eradicating this threat to its interests before its conception and they could have anything they wished out of it.
- How is Turkey a threat? Also the ottomans haven’t existed for 30 years, own none of the territories they mentioned, and haven’t done anything to warrant French intervention. This is meta-gaming at its finest. This is also after I striked out another similar thing for the same reason. That’s a strike - Mod
- Kingdom of France:
- Kingdom of Greece: Greece had been in a looming economic stagnation for years, but its consequences was greatly reduced thanks to foreign aid. The vast expansion of infrastructure from public projects has exponentially raised the public debt. Public debt dating back to the War of Independence reached new heights in the 1900s. However, this economic growth did lead to the creation of a middle-class born out of industrial development, of growth in the number of bureaucrats (linked to political clientlism) and to an urban explosion. The debt even began to be felt by the public, who had experienced increasing taxes to accommodate. Anti-tax demonstrations had let to the liberal wave. Even politicians were dissatisfied with the bureaucracy of the government. The Liberal wave, seen earlier in the year, was a mere sign of what is to come. The responses from the Liberal wave had varied, but some led to the creation of more radical thinking. This has spawned many groups and cliques of every party in the Parliament. For example, a group of young politicians, called the “Japanese Group” by the press due to the comparison of their roles to the Meiji Era of Japan, had argued for more development and efficiency in the system, similar to how efficient the Japanese had modernized themselves. As a consequence to the Young Turk Revolution, the “Military League” was formed in by unsatisfied army NCOs, which was later supported by various hawkish politicians, and they were motivated by a variety of reasons: a desire for reforms that was prevalent in wide parts of society was combined with frustration at the slow rate of promotions and the absence of meritocracy, especially among graduates of the Military Academy. Other officers from the army, the navy and the gendarmerie joined up later, and by June 1909, had spread out over the Greek military and absorbed several political cliques within the Greek government. By early 1910, members of the Military League gathered George I’s home in demonstrations late at night, mistakenly thought these were liberals and fearing the overthrow of the Monarchy; Fired the current Prime Minister and replaced him with Kyriakoulis Mavromichalis. The Military League effectively became de facto in control of the government as they forced Mavromoichalis to make a series of liberal reforms without consultation of the Hellenic Parliament, which helped oiled the Greek economy as it starts to recover from its brief economic thrash. The Military League itself is not liberal, but they had brought out more liberal reforms in an effort to solidify and gain support (although, they still kept the king in power). But it was not until December that the Military League have a new problem, more traditional parliamentary groups of the Pro-Austrian, Pro-Russian, Pro-Italian, and Pro-British parties wish to take back control of the government as a united Parliament. Fearing the Military League starting to run out of steam and a civil war brewing, the League had sent representatives to Parliament. By the end of the year, the negotiations had resulted in them compromising to form a new government by choosing a man from outside of mainland Greece, a native born from Crete: Eleftherios “Eleft” Venizelos. He was a Greek statesman and a prominent leader of the Greek national liberation movement. He is noted for his contribution in the expansion of Crete’s influence in trade and promotion of liberal-democratic policies during his time in the local government. But due to many cliques disagreeing with bringing in a politician that is not from the mainland, it was agreed to be settled in the next parliamentary election. To push this, his supporters formed a coalition government for the Parliamentary election that is planned in August 1911. Regardless, by this transitional time, the traditional party system in the Greek government was effectively dead and the "bloodless coup" is de facto over until August. The system has stabilized. (more may be later)
- Kingdom of France:
An alliance offer is extended to the Kingdom of Greece to protect our common interests against Turkey.
- Kingdom of France:
- La Plata: This year is a momentous year for the federation of La Plata. President Paz refuses to run again citing health concerns and wishing to spend time with his family. Fernando Lopez is elected along an extremely similar platform to President Paz taking office just after Christmas the new official inauguration date of the La Platan presidency. This presidency is marked by Rio Grande, Uruguay, and Santa Catarina taking part in the elections. They do not overly skew the voting demographic as the overwhelming popularity of the Federal system and the ability of states to handle a certain amount of their own domestic affairs brings much of the remaining populations of the annexed states into line. The naval base and army quarters in Puerto Alegre are completed. Regardless of the lack in shipbuilding currently, investments are made into upgrading or keeping modern the shipwrights of the country with plans to begin a major naval expansion by 1916. Specific research into modern ships is conducted as well with plans for modern cruisers, destroyers, and dreadnoughts all put on the books. These designs are specifically developed to replace Argentina's outdated navy by European standards. The army sees its own advances with the development of a fully modern artillery piece. However, it is not put into production in any major way with the blueprint being shelved for future use. Only 100 of these pieces are even built and put into service. Alongside this development is the development of a self-loading rifle. The Argentine-Fabrique 1910 is put into limited production of about 15,000 guns per year until the gun is able to replace the vast majority of the bolt action rifles in service which are kept around in a few per platoon as sharpshooter rifles. The AN-1910 noticeably performs well in tests. However, low quality ammunition seems to cause some moderate issues with the gun forcing stringent quality control on the 7.54 mm Mauser cartridges to prevent any further issues with the low quality of munitions. The La Platan expansion into its under-settled hinterlands and the need to more thoroughly consolidate its railway networks sees more short range railway networks developed connecting medium sized towns to the main railway network. A strange phenomena of settlement occurs as well with the small town of Neuquen beginning to see large growth due to immigration. The areas around the city are noticeably viable for agriculture due to the irrigation provided by the Limay and Neuquen rivers. The nearby exploitation of oil noticeably affects the development of the city as well as the route through this city very quickly becomes a lucrative and profitable route. GDP per Capita once again sees positive growth as the booming of lucrative goods through Argentina once again sees the country gain wealth. Consumer/household goods as well as various light industries continue to advance at a steady pace as the Argentine industrial base continues to expand through the current government policy and the opening of private business. The economy for the first time since before the war sees noticeable economic growth as some of the constraints involving money start to go away as interest and loan payments begin to dwindle down into much more manageable territory due to four years of stringent fiscal policy and some level headed economic moves which allowed a good chunk of debt to either be paid or cleared entirely. Initially seen as a cowardly and treasonous move by some of the aristocrats and capitalists in the country, the growth of businesses associated with foreign ownership to some degree see a quick influx of foreign capital this year with private investors in foreign countries particularly French, British, some Germans, hoping to expand their own profit margins out of these businesses with a quick and easy expansion. The steel glut begins to rectify itself globally after nearly four years of oversupply, putting the Argentinian steel industry back in the green and once again managing to secure profit, albeit it minor profit. The population continues to recover from its losses from the war with the baby boom predicted to last a few more years before leveling out. The immigration has just as well helped rectify some of the population issues. With open land, open jobs, and wages getting better once again (albeit with some government prodding) the immigration pull to the country is noticeable. This year sees one of the single best years for the country in terms of immigration. Chinese immigrants are able to soak up some of the extremely low paying and low quality jobs simply happy to just be able to start a new life. Their children being enrolled in the compulsory education system within the country helps with the literacy issue. This, however, is not entirely to pressing as the number of Chinese and other Asian immigrants is eclipsed entirely by the much larger European based population. 130,000 people are noted to have immigrated this year to Argentina with a large majority still coming out of Italy and Spain. Spanish immigration is notably pushed by La Platan economic recovery, and Spain's relative instability in the last decade or so. Reparations from Brazil continue with the raw goods being either used in Industry or effectively sold (specifically rubber) with many of the arriving goods being highly lucrative on the open market. A large group of oil technicians and drillers are hired from the United States, taking advantage of the over-saturated market in the US's oil producing regions leaving a multitude of these men available for hire. While getting them to move proves to be the hardest part, by the end of the year a team of roughly 150 veteran oil riggers is hired to expand the oil production in Patagonia with the production expected to expand and begin meeting serious export goals by 1912. The population reaches 12.8 million due to immigration factors and the nations natural growth. Some other developments are noticed in Patagonia as well as increased trade with Japan and the various Chinese regions has led to specifically the small town of Ancud to expand in size and importance. Being pretty much the only viable port La Plata has in the Pacific here currently, the City sees increased connection to the rest of the country as it links up its railway system and some of its roadway systems with the mainline La Platan Railway system.
- Bulgaria: The military elite gains 5,000 troops, with the troop count goes up to 80,000. The new 5,000 will be added to the Serbian front. An interesting part of the Grand Sofia University, which is a cinema will be a part of the University. Epic of the Forgotten has been made into a movie. An extra four 1880s ships are added to the navy and English Cressy-class cruiser blueprints in exchange for any amounts of money.(British Response Needed).
- Danubian Federation: today is a historical day for the empire. Today the Danubian constitution is signed into law by the final signature of Emperor Franz Ferdinand, officially making the empire a federation. In Hungary, the military government helps the Slovaks and Romanians organize their respective state governments and withdraw from these areas. The Congress of Nationalities has its final sessions as the Congress of Nationalities as they make the switch over to the Danubian Congress, a stronger more centralized legislature. The constitution guarantees the rights of all citizens no matter their class, ethnicity, or religion, and declares every citizen as an equal. Austria and Bohemia become united into one state called Austria-Bohemia. Most ethnicities gain their own state, well ones with a sizable population, this includes the Serbian minority in Bosnia and Polish Lodamia along with the Ukrainians in the eastern part of the empire. We continue our construction of cruisers, destroyers, and small capital ships to help protect our seas from another incursion into our territorial waters. We send military aid and support to Serbia and allow Bosnian Serbs to go and fight as volunteers in the Serbian war against Bulgaria. We continue to promote Austro-Slavism as an alternative to Pan-Slavism in scholarly circles.
- Kingdom of Portugal: The country's attention is mainly on the recent visit by British royals to Portugal and the ancient alliance between the two countries. However, the legislative election is held in February 1910 and sees the new National Union formed in the summer of 1909 handily gain the majority with 117 seats, leaving just 31 seats to the Liberals and Republicans, which are increasingly insignificant in politics. The new right wing coalition pledges to continue a dictatorial government with both the people's and the King's approval. General Rocadas steps down from the premiership and His Majesty Carlos appoints the colonial war hero and former naval chief of general staff, Admiral Francisco Joaquim Ferreira do Amaral as the new President of the Council of Ministers shortly after the election. Amaral will continue the government policy and also says in a speech to parliament that he will continue to restore Portugal's tradition as an ancient seafaring nation by restoring the Portuguese Navy with British help. The rise in Portuguese economy in recent years is seen as confirming that the King and the National Union policies have been a success, increasing their popularity. While a lot of the reforms have been implemented from the top down by the King and his cabal of generals and admirals, groups of young military officers have also been taking up the National Union's patriotic and Catholic agenda from the grass roots level. In March 1910, the Legiao Portuguesa (Portuguese Legion) is formed as a patriotic civil defense organisation by some army and navy junior officers. The group aims to promote patriotism in the population and military, and by the end of the year the National Union political leadership made a deal to formally incorporate the Legion into the armed forces command structure. In this way the King sees the potential to develop a renewed support for the Portuguese monarchy. Similarly to the young officers in Turkey and Greece, the Legion also takes after the Meiji reformers in Japan and its members want to play an important role in helping their country modernize and become a significant power in Europe. Liberals criticize the King and the military for turning the government into a de facto military dictatorship, but the economic success of the past few years raises their popularity with the public. The Colonial Ministry continues its policies overseas, and many Portuguese also consider the path of settling in one of the colonies. The National Union in its official policy sees the ancient Portuguese overseas territories as an integral part of the Portuguese nation and its development as an important part of the "great Portuguese revival." The economy continues to improve and more railways are built connecting all of the major cities in Portugal. At the same time, the navy finalizes the deal with Britain to acquire the modernized Royal Sovereign-class pre-dreadnought battleships.
- Imperial Federation: With Canton freed from its overlords in the north (Colgan Discord), the new Imperial Protectorate is provided with 150,000 modern firearms, supplies, and equipment to outfit a sizeable and strong military. MI5 reaches back out to the Boxers, offering to support them with arms and training should they agree to cease attacks on the Republic of Canton and also recognize its independence. Domestically, the empire grows obsessed with the promise of flight. The Royal Aviation School has seen its attendance rise from 30 students to nearly 3,000 since its inception. Aviation captivates the nation. The world's first float plane successfully takes off and lands from water in Scotland, prompting great interest from the admiralty. The Stewart X (Blériot XI) plane becomes a favorite at the aviation school and military alike. The navy begins experimentation with the Stewart X in a seaplane configuration, mounting pontoons to test its characteristics on the water. An older Type 1 destroyer is converted into a float-plane tender for testing in the North Sea. Overall, the navy takes a break from capital ship orders, to become less financially burdensome. Work on the Lagos-Cairo line continues, but is slow due to the vast distances involved.
- Dominion of Canada: The new decade of Canada would be a bright one. The Canadian economy is better than it was five years before. Canada is also receiving more immigrants as people are fleeing from China's civil war. Many Canadians want to fight in the civil war as volunteer soldiers. In order to do so, we sent diplomats to Britain to ask the Imperial Federation if Canada could send volunteers to China in their civil war. (British response). We would also send volunteers to help China recover once its civil war is over.\
- Imperial Federation: We would prefer that Canada remain uninvolved with the violence in China, but respect it as Canada's decision to send troops or not.
- Nippon: Troops continue to keep Manchuria under lock down to prevent a spill over of the violence, Meanwhile, officers of the Kwantung intelligence division, and agents of the Black Dragon Society propose a plan to their superiors who then pass it on to military and civilian leadership back in Japan. In Plan Asahi it is laid out that the Japanese government will switch support from Qing to the nationalists in exchange for recognition of Formosa, and Manchuria as Japanese territories. In return, Japanese forces will help end the civil war by quickly taking Peking and then handing it over to the Chinese nationalists. Seeing an opportunity end all the disputes with Qing and to start a clean slate Tokyo approves of the plan, and Kwantung Intelligence approaches the Sun Yat-sen and other Chinese nationalists with the offer, also promising to begin relationships with the new Chinese state in equal terms (approved by Colgan). Construction of the first of the two new Fuji-class dreadnoughts is completed and one of the three new Kami pursuit battleships is also completed. Construction of the Manchuria railway continues. The growth in popularity of pan-Asianism and Neo-Bushido amongst the military also sees a spill over into the labour movement as many amongst the working class have ties to the military. Pan-Asian intellectuals like Ryohei Uchida, Ikki Kita, begin delving deeper into labour rights, cultural identity, capitalism and industrialisation, and the role of the state and the military in the destiny of a nation and people, and the importance of continuing the ideals of the early Meiji restoration. Major Shigeru Honjo, along with Japanese Naval officer Isoroku Yamamoto become early supporters of their works within the military leadership. Harukiri Yamaguchi a dock worker and local gang leader from Kobe also begins reading their theories. Infrastructure projects continue in Japan and in the oversea territories allowed by the continued low steel prices. Zaibatsu cooperation with these projects in particular in the expansion of railways, and in docks is spurred by an expansion of financial institutions overseas. Japanese consumption of oil begins to grow as automobiles, planes, and now oil fueled ships become more prominent. Discreetly, troops are moved toward the border with Qing, and artillery, more troops and supplies are brought over from Japan with the troop numbers being brought up to 250,000 overall. the Border with Korea is also reinforced to prevent a Korean possible intervention. Operation DoragonSorieya is organized and prepared. Quietly and steadily the Japanese begin funding and training Chinese nationalists as they officially end diplomatic and military support for the Qing.
- United States: The USS Wyoming, USS North Dakota, and USS Michigan are launched as the newest US dreadnoughts. Seeing the arise of European air forces, President Roosevelt moves to the army and creates an American inquisitor into air power. The army begins testing with the Burgess-Wright Model F airplane. African American Boxer Jack Johnson defeats white boxer James Jeffries. An accident occurs in mid-flight above 5,000 spectators as Ralph Johnstone's plane breaks up in mid air. Henry Ford sells 10,000 cars this year. President Roosevelt decides to travel to Europe onboard the USS Florida. He travels to Britain to propose the North Atlantic Treaty which would be a military and trade alliance between the US and the Imperial Federation (Steph Response).
- Imperial Federation: We will attend negotiations.
- Kingdom of Sikkim:
Due to British power diminishing, influence from Indian separatists in the Northeastern areas have grown.As a result, an independence war has begun. Support from Chinese nationalists gives the rebels early victories. After the short conquests of the north, a new leader is elected among the people, replacing the former kings. The end of these elections brings the first new lord of the territory, Guru Sabal. A strong, determined politician, Guru Sabal preaches of the wonders and power of Sikhism. Thus, the Kingdom of Sikkim is formed, and aiming to unite the subcontinent.Guru Sabal knows he needs allies, so he has called Nippon to form a compact referred to as the Treatise of Punjab, wherein both nations would support one another in their needs and expand into a new age of renaissance, and conquer our enemies. (Nippon Response Needed)
- No. This entire turn is just wrong. First of all, who told you British influence had diminished? It’s probably about the same as it’s always been. Second, who said the Chinese nationalists support you? You need to request their support and putting “(MOD RESPONSE NEEDED),” and if you wanna know the answer, it’s no, the nationalists don’t support you, they don’t even border you. Oh and you can’t just claim multiple victories, you need an algo for that. - mod
- will fix
- Kingdom of France: Given the various ethnic tensions arising in the periphery of our lands the National Revanche Party adopts a more nationalistic approach vying for the protection of our ethnic brethren in nations bordering us. As such the entire concept for our future expansion and prosperity is adapted to ensure their protection, essentially the advocacy of ethnic borders across Europe gains huge momentum and becomes a transpartisan rallying point between the depleted left and the all powerful right. The 39-year old King Jaime II' wedding with Napoleon IV's 28 year old daughter and heir apparent Caroline Joséphine Bonaparte and the two of them marry in a magnificent ceremony in Notre-Dame de Paris Cathedral in France, repeating the wedding symbolically in Real Basílica San Francisco el Grande in Madrid and Barcelona Cathedrals to inspire unison across both nations. Subjects across both nations of France and Spain rejoice as alignment between our two nations greatly strengthens. The Houses of Bonaparte and Bourbon are to be united into a single house named Bourbon-Bonaparte from their offspring as expectations are confirmed with Caroline giving birth to some healthy triplets, two boys and one girl, through the second boy doesn't survive the week. The rest are baptised as Carlos-Louis Francisco Bourbon-Bonaparte and Catalina Maria Bourbon-Bonaparte. Napoleon IV continues to serve strengthening the nation and the regime by serving as its figurehead. The Napoleonic line is extended toward the French-Swiss border, creating a light fortifications line along those borders. The crackdown on the remnants of the former Solidarité party continues, as these relics of the past continue to haunt us in our aspirations, this crackdown is even harsher than previous attempts with the majority of the remaining left either fleeing or hiding to escape it. Women rights are strengthened as the notion of recognizing the equality between the two genders, men and women gets gains momentum, strengthened by the state propaganda promoting it among men and women. There are talks of allowing women to join the army in the future inside the parliament but the entire concept is regarded to be alienating the majority of our people and it rejected by the majority in the parliament and the party as well as Boulanger himself for now although the virtues of having women join the army exclusively on non-combatant positions is promoted via state propaganda as it would relief the army's efforts in any potential war greatly and strengthen the nation of France as a whole. That comes with a self defense training of women to serve in the army in non-combatant positions but to be able to defend themselves from any harm as sending them unprotected and unprepared would be inexcusable. Finally a few brave women are allowed to serve in the army after the radical insistence as a trial to explore how this could work, serving in non-combatant supportive jobs, such as cleaning military facilities stuffing the kitchens, inspecting weapons. In their time in the army they are also trained in martial (self-defense) arts. We repeat our proposal of rapprochement to the German Empire, the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Kingdom of Italy a detailed proposal offering an ambitious road map to soothe ethnic tensions sparing our poor brethren from harm while cementing peace and prosperity in the form of a conference where we would discuss on how to deal with aforementioned ethnic issues and bring long term peace and prosperity in Europe. [German Empire, Italian Kingdom, Kingdom of Netherlands Responses]. Also, we make a proposal to our Spanish ally, King Jaime III, to extend our support to help him rebuild his nation's strength by undertaking several joint ventures and actions such as:
- Heavily investing in his nations infrastructure and industry by providing them with capital in the form of loans by French banks in Spanish individuals, direct investment by French corporations opening up new branches in Spain as well as joint projects while also dispatching engineers to help them design their new infrastructure projects and industrial investments.
- Joint Research and Development programs also could take place for civilian or military purposes. Licensing of the latest French designs of military equipment is also offered.
- Assistance in rebuilding his their land and naval forces by joint producing French cutting edge infantry rifles along with infantry equipment such as helmets, uniforms, handguns for 100,000 Spanish troops and an ambitious naval buildup program jointly constructing them an entirely new fleet consisting of two heavy cruisers, two capital ships, six light cruisers, 12 destroyers, 12 frigates, 24 corvettes.
- French military advisors to assist Spanish officers to rebuild their land and naval forces. [MOD RESPONSE]
- Mod Response: King Jaime III gladly accepts on behalf of Spain in the spirit of friendship and cooperation between our two nations.
- The Russian Empire: With the Dutch economic debt, the Russian government offers to buy Dutch West Papua, so that the Dutch government has to spend less and earn a to be decided amount of Money.(Dutch Response). While in China, "Uighur Theocratic Army" begins to gain in membership Huiyuan being the city with most membership growth due to Russian Merchants housed in the city. Which is allowed per treaty of Tarbagatai was allowed to happen. With a total of around 50,000 Uighurs being recruited in total, even if quality is lower then one should wish for. Many Uighur recruits being lower class devout Muslims, who have nothing to lose but everything to gain. With the men taking up their weapons, painting symbols of Uighur Islam on the weapons and their clothing.Making patches with the crescent and star, with the motto "Allah is in Mountains that the Confucianist cannot reach, God is in mountains and deserts." While the Tibetans begin to get basic Russian equipment sold to them, which is more adapted to the Mountains and cold. The Russian Army Supporting the independence movements for both people of Outer Mongolia, Uighuristan (East Turkestan) and Tibet. While With the Situation is Bulgaria, the 125,000 Ruthenian Army crosses the Bulgarian Border to Restore order in Bulgaria in the Name of Serbia. With all government buildings who were occupied by Bulgarian troops being given back to their Serbian administrators, the Bulgarian flags that are flying in Public being replaced by the Flag of Serbia. Although the Russian Government disapproves of take over of Bulgaria by the Serbian government, Russian government explaining that Russia only intervened to Restore order. Russia approving of the Serbia kings role in Bulgaria but not the take over of Bulgar administration by Serbia. Russian Army even being ordered to keep Bulgarian POW's and not hand them over to the local authorities. The lower house of the Duma reminding Serbia that Russia has the right of military passage, and bases in the Bulgarian lands. While this is happening, the Russo-Romanian Oil Company under the Imperial oil Commission, begin to do more and more surveys around Russia and Romania. This to find the best oil in the nations and the kinds that are most needed for ships and for the beginning Car and Truck industry
Italian Nationalist Terrorists detonate several explosives at border crossings with the Austrian Empire. In a sympathetic newspaper, they make clear their aim to conquer Trieste, wrest control of the Adriatic, and recover Trentino-South Tyrol. Relations between Italy and Austria sour considerably and many Italians support the idea of reconquering the lost territories.
The Wizard of Oz is written this year.
Bolivia begins industrializing quickly thanks to mining profits and a recently constructed rail line linking the interior to the Pacific.
The Chinese Civil war yet again begins sees a turning point as Japan switches support to the Nationalists and the nationalists make grant advances.
The Serbo-Bulgarian War Ends with the decisive capture of Sofia and the destruction of the remnants of the Bulgarian Armed Forces. 150,000 Serbian troops parade through the streets of the fallen Bulgarian Capital. In the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral King Peter of Serbia is crowned King of the South Slavs, by the Exarch Bulgarian Orthodox Church
The Pro-Military/Militarist dominated Reichstag in Germany launches a self-coup to secure power for the growing military elite. Once they have secured power, they make reforms that effectively make Germany a stratocracy. The coup and the reforms after the coup receive support from Wilhelm the II, who some suspect of orchestrating or at least knowing about the coup plans before hand.
Tibet, after years of being de facto independent, officially declares their sovereignty from China and requests British and Russian recognition and support.
- The Kingdom of Belgium is due to making agriculture by developing the countries while they became industrializing a few month.
- Kingdom of France Dip: We exert pressure at Belgium both externally using a combination of soft and hard power amassing troops at our border as well as promoting the just cause of French reunification with Wallonia via state sponsored propaganda as well as internal pressure using the Walloon branch of the National Revanche Party to protest on the streets demanding a referendum. (Player reponse).
- Kingdom of Belgium: We accept and A referendum is held in Wallonia and 65 percent vote in favor of unification with France
- Sidenote: I am technically not a mod but I do know that a referendum for unification would never happen due to the British guarantee making this an act to which the British could intervene. Second of all, not so many people were in favour of unification, as becoming part of France would make the Belgian Bureaucracy lose the power they held.
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands: As the fort line nicknamed "Hope" comes to a finish many fear for the safety of the Kingdom and its sovereignty are making preparations should war come. Fort line "Hope" stretches along the entire border. The Kingdom of the Netherlands also demands Flanders or there will be large issues. It also states that the people of Flanders show their support for the Dutch. Secret: Agents from the Royal Secret Intelligence agency are given orders to cause more radical supports. End Secret. (Belgian and Mod responses needed.)
- La Plata: After years of fiscal contraction policy and the decrease of the money supply in major amounts, the Platinean Peso notably gains some ground in value. The overt end of the Steel glut once again puts the steel industry on path forward as the growth of population in the south, and the associated growth of major coal mining makes imports in some cases more expensive giving these coal fields direct connection to the existing steel mills. The steel previously purchased for large expansion projects continues to be used but with the influx of Platinean steel into the market as well, more expansion is undertaken. Rosario, Mendoza, and Salta take the next wave of serious expansion of the cities, and infrastructure. The Railway systems of these areas is both modernized and heavily expanded taking the main railway and expanding its tertiary lines in an organized shape around the city to various satellite and countryside towns. The Railway system into the south is also part of this expansion with needs to link the resource rich regions in the south and west, to the populated regions to the north and east. The Platinean mining industry continues to expand with notable sales occurring to Japan which is quickly becoming one of the chief buyers of many Argentine resources and goods. Iron, copper, Beef, Wheat, alongside consumer and household goods. The Light Industry within La Plata had noticeably had an effect on the economy with record numbers of people working in factories rather than more traditional professions. It causes some tension as the rich and aristocrats are forced to shift priorities to face the new reality but will eventually fix itself. Rio Grande do Sul, Uruguay, and Santa Catarina see the expansion of their own infrastructure systems, with Railways filling in gaps, and now every major city in these territories is linked into the mainline Platinean railway system. The Railway system pushes through corrientes to Stanta Catarinas major cities with an offshoot line going from Ascuncion to Salta and Tucuman. While the lines heading down through Rio Grand reach the lines expanding up from Uruguay. The benefits of the expanded infrastructure is notable as it allows for ease of settlement, shipping, and contact keeping the country closer together than ever before. The Expansion of the oil industry continues as well with notable buyers once again being Japan. The Influex of capital from the multitude of trade sources allows much more notable expansions as of late with more money being able to be spent on these projects increasing their size and their effectiveness. Another rising industry within La Plata is its shipbuilding industry which sees new dockyards opening up in Buenos Aires and Mar del Plata producing commercial ships. Military dockyards see some modest expansion as well and the first contracts out for Platinean ships since the war ended is ordered. Three destroyers and one heavy cruiser are ordered utilizing the modern designs. They are all expected to be complete next year. La Plata finishes its blueprints for its first modern dreadnoughts. Strangely enough, these dreadnoughts are noted to be larger than existing classes in Europe except the British Orion-class. This class remains the main class of dreadnought larger than the Platinean design. Population this year hits 13.2 million due to natural growth and immigration. Immigration report this year puts many immigrants coming from Spain with a smaller amount of Italians this year with the total number of about 100,000. Development of a Pacific port to receive immigrants and help develop the region gives way to roughly 45,000 immigrants from Asia this year. Many more Japanese arrive this year than Chinese. Various small fishing villages are set up along the coast or settle in the city of Puerto Aguire (I put the wrong city last turn) which continues to see development and more connection to the mainland. The cushion fund continues to be built up from Brazilian reparations. Due in large part in Argentina's protection and support of the complicit Brazilian government in Rio de Janeiro, an unusually friendly and bilateral trade agreement is signed in order to develop a key working relationship with Brazil's aristocrats and make conflict in the future an extremely costly endeavor economically for Brazil. Platinean influence in Brazilian trade and economics is noted to have become major and important for both countries. With a complicit government, one could even say both countries could greatly prosper from a good working relationship, and might even do wonders to help reconcile some differences. Trade as far north as Salvador in Brazil is affected by the massive trade shift toward Buenos Aires as the cities begin to become more reliant on goods flowing through La Plata than through actual Brazilian ports. As of this year the number of Argentines within the newly dubbed "Greater Rio Grande region" (Santa Catarina, and Rio Grande do Sul) rises with a thriving population of roughly 40,000 Platineans having taken up residence and expanded into empty territory in the region. Uruguay's capital and major port city sees some natural growth occur as it attempts to adjust to the arrival of immigrants.
- Imperial Federation: MI5 continues to support the Boxers with arms and training should they agree to cease attacks on the Republic of Canton and also recognize its independence. 1911 is a huge year in firearms. In June testing begins on a new Auto-Reloading rifle the Smith-Condit 1911 Rifle. (Smith-Condit Rifle with some refining and a detachable box mag in the Lee-Enfield style) Initial testing of the earlier Smith-Condit 1909 rifle showed excessive parts breakage, primarily in the gas system. The new rifle is significantly stronger than its predecessor with a tougher, less complex gas system. Two variants are presented, a pump-action and bolt action, both in 6.5 British. Although not supremely reliable, the rifle does have several advantages. The lack of side and back ports keeps the internals clean, particularly on the bolt-action version. A specially designed dust and mud cover over the ejection port also aids in this. The bolt handle can be reliably cycled even when the gas system is damaged, and the rifle has a higher rate of fire in both auto-reloading and bolt-action modes due to its short action. An order for 30,000 rifles is put out, to arm one man in every five in the IEF. The guns are expected in 1913, with a potential secondary order in 1914. The English economy continues to specialize in the industries that the government has chosen to support. The chemical industry in particular takes off as the first wave of new college graduate chemists since the increased education funding hits the job market. Turbine production continues to dominate global markets, as Britain holds a near monopoly on turbine propulsion due to its advanced technology, production facilities, and market hold. Shipbuilding benefits from this technological and industrial advantage, as it becomes relatively cheaper to build in the UK. In Australia, the problem of invasive rabbits continues to challenge farmers, ranchers, and the ecosystem. To combat the crisis, widespread culling becomes the norm, and a group of biologists propose releasing several hundred Thylacines from Tanzania, which were native to Australia as recently as 1830, into South Australia as a way to reduce rabbit populations. To aid in the task, farmers and ranchers around the country are visited by members of the newly created Ministry for Ecology. These government employees help educate farmers on the dangers of killing predators. Fines are raised on killing of Dingoes and Thylacines unless a culling order has been placed. Two divisions of the Imperial Indian Army arrive at the border region that Sikkim has been attempting to invade intent on destroying the Sikkim Army. The Imperial Federation recognizes Tibet, and offers them 50,000 rifles to ensure their independence.
- Kingdom of Italy: The marine is given a larger focus on the new torpedo technology and submarines. The fortification program with Dutch support on Sumatra continues, especially along the strait of Malacca to minimize piracy in the region. After the French do not meet the political asylum is given to Solidarite members. Militarism is still popular among the population and many young men still sign up for the army. Investments into the first aircraft takes place, with large focus on light but sustainable motors. The focus for motorbikes as a means of transporting messages is also given, with most divisions having around ten motorized cyclists. Football becomes incredibly popular in all classes, the La Gazzetta dello Sport, a newspaper which exclusively reports on sport events, becomes one of the most popular newspapers in Italy and many people join a football club. The modernization efforts affect the colonies of Carthage and Mali as well, including all ports used by the Italian Navy. As ships become larger, harbors are often enlarged as well to have a larger capacity. Three more dreadnoughts are built, along with another four destroyers. The industrialists are given lower taxes if they invest into a more modernized form of production, the same goes for farmers if they use modern farming methods. Fiji becomes more and more of a criminal colony, where not only poor immigrants often end up doing the hard work on the fishing boats or sugar fields, but also criminals that are given the choice of exile work there. The Tyrol incident as the terrorist attacks become known in Italy are heavily condemned. The government puts a bounty on any member of the suspected group, ranging between 20,000 and 100,000 Lire. King Filiberto sends a letter to the Austrian emperor, stating that these maniacs will not tear apart the good Austrian-Italian relationships and similarly, the king gives a speech saying that any violence against Italian allies is violence against Italy itself, and a true patriot, even if he wishes all Italians united, should never use violence achieve this. However, the parliament (including the opposition) calls the Austrian government to hold a referendum over whether South Tyrol and Trieste want to belong to Italy or the Danubian confederation, in order to prevent further violence (AUSTRIAN RESPONSE, PLEASE). The influence over the Zhejiang region is extended by extending the lands for Italian businesses, who invest especially into the locally very important textile industry.
- Nippon: Before the surprise invasion of Qing is launched, Emperor Meiji steps in and advises against not only breaking a peace treaty signed just a few years ago, but also to the dishonorable actions about to be carried out. The military, and government agree to step in line, and instead a formal request is issued to Emperor Guangxu written by Emperor Meiji himself to understand that the Qing's Mandate has come to an end and to listen to his people. Thia's request is followed up by a formal Japanese offer to mediate an end to the bloodshed. (Mod response). It is implied, however, that should the Qing government be unwilling to listen Japan will be intervene. The the IJN is put into position as well. Construction of the Manchuria rail way connecting Dalian to Mukden, to Vladivostok continues. Dalian's port begins to develop into a major shipping hub as troops, supplies, and goods start to enter Manchuria in larger numbers. Heavy industry continues to grow as ships, and infrastructure projects help stabilize the saturation of tyhe steel market. Exports also styart to pick up again. A trade deal is offered to Argentina due to the growing Japanese community, and growing trade ties.
- Kingdom of Portugal: The economy continues to grow as the government continues its policies. The four Royal Sovereign pre-dreadnought battleships are received by the Portuguese Navy and are commissioned into the fleet as Rei Afonso V, Diogo Cao, Luis de Camoes, and Pero Escobar. As they arrive in Lisbon, the Prime Minister, Admiral Francisco Joaquim do Amaral, gave a speech about it being the first part of the King's plan to restore the Portuguese nation to its rightful glory as having an ancient seafaring tradition. Prince Manuel, the second son of King Carlos who graduated the Naval School recently to become a professional naval officer, was also in attendance in Lisbon at the commissioning ceremony. The navy hierarchy is again reformed: the Home Squadron becomes the Home Fleet, with four battleships, two cruisers, and five destroyers. The Far East Squadron becomes the Far East Fleet, with two battleships (one Admiral-class and one Royal Sovereign), five cruisers, and five destroyers. The Lisbon Naval Arsenal lays down the first of the new Guadiana-class destroyers developed for the fleet by Portuguese engineers with British help, with five total planned to bring the Portuguese destroyer force to a total of 15 by 1917. With the increasing economic growth, the government directs more of the new revenue to several endeavours, including education as well as naval funding. At the same time, Amaral is careful not to go beyond the existing budget and bring Portugal into debt as previous governments had done in the last century. The new budget also allows several more minor ships to be built, including torpedo boats for coastal patrol. The submarine that has been under construction will be completed by 1913. The Portuguese Legion continues to grow in strength as more young officers join the organisation, and it opens its ranks to any adult Portuguese citizen. The National Union considers formally making the organisation a civil defense group as part of the military. Education also receives more funding, with more schools being built both in the homeland in Portuguese colonies. The University of Lisbon is established in the capital for public higher education. Exports of raw materials increase, and the government combines several state-owned companies in Angola and Mozambique into one National Mining Corporation. This new umbrella company oversees the majority of mining operations in these colonies, especially in diamonds and iron ore. Other European companies are still encouraged to invest in developing the resources in Portuguese colonies. The agricultural sector also continues to thrive. Portugal itself is seeing economic growth that has been unprecedented, helping the National Union's popularity.
- United States: Eugene Burton Ely lands his airplane on the modified deck of the USS Pennsylvania making him the first man to land an airplane on a ship. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire kills 146 workers in New York City making it the deadliest workplace disaster in New York's history. A new Browning pistol is adopted this year giving its name, the M1911. Standard Oil is declared a monopoly by Congress and orders its dismantling. The first Indianapolis 500 race occurs. The last wild native American, Ishi of the Yana people of California emerges from the woods into civilization. A series of events in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona led to a shootout where a gang member, John Marston, is killed in a savage last stand between him and the FBI to allow his family to escape. It is also said that in the adventures of Marston post-gang, he did had a supposed encounter with the supernatural of walking dead which led to the killing of a supposed rouge Mexican colonel. Chevrolet enters the automobile industry. Roosevelt introduces his new economic policy called the Square Deal.
- The Russian Empire: The Russian lower house of the Duma condemns the military coup in the German Empire, the Russian government fearing what a militaristic Germany could mean on the world stage. The demand for a treaty about the Serbo-Bulgarian situation grow as many in both the army and civil government want to ensure the rights Russian civilians and keeping the Military passage and transport agreements. In Uighurstan, Sabit Damolla declares the independence of the Uighur State with the National Uighur Counsel declaring him as Regent of the Uighur throne until the Uighur state can become more stable. The Uighur State Authority, not yet being solid everywhere, as the confusion together with the fact that not all members of the National Uighur counsel have been able to go to the big cities and forts. Some of the most remote areas of the Uighur state not even yet knowing of the rebellion, needing administrators and militias loyal to the Uighur state explain the new freedom that they desire to achieve.
- Turkey: In the first year of the new parliament, factions begin being set up within the Young Turk Party, splitting into four sections: the Ultranationalist Faction led by Aktug Orbay, the Republican Party led by Umu Necmi, the Democratic Liberal Party led by Torhan Neftci, and the National Socialist Commune led by Tebrik Bayraktar. The splitting of factions causes political corruption to rise within the parliamentary, and many of the speakers for each Young Turk section has begun their own political career and path in order to put their ideology at the forefront of the country. To properly re-assess and revive diplomatic ventures, trade deals are offered with the Imperial Federation, Persia, the Rashidi Caliphate, and the Italian Kingdom (Player Responses Needed). Industrialization expands. A restructuring of the current Turkish culture begins. An offer is extended to the Imperial Federation to buy a large number of new and modern weaponry (Player Response Needed), while the older models and equipment are secretly funneled into the Greek region of Ionia and the bordering Russian regions as a means of inciting Turkish and other ethnic nationalist revolutions in the near future.
- Citing a strong relationship with Greece, the IF will not sell weapons to Turkey.
- Kingdom of France: The incorporation of the Wallonian region is celebrated across France as Boulanger decrees in his infamous speech that a new day arises for France, no longer shall Frenchman be under the foreign yoke. We recognize the creation of the Kingdom of South Slavs, congratulating King Peter for his lifelong achievements extending our support for this newly created realm and offering our assistance whenever required. We recognize Tibetian independence and send them humanitarian help. Cooperation with our Spanish allies increases greatly as we engage in all kinds of joint programs such as heavily investing in Spanish infrastructure and industry by providing them with capital in the form of loans by French banks in Spanish individuals, direct investment by French corporations opening up new branches in Spain as well as joint projects while also dispatching engineers to help them design their new infrastructure projects and industrial investments. Joint research and development programs also could take place for civilian or military purposes. Assisting in rebuilding their land and naval forces by jointly producing French cutting edge infantry rifles along with infantry equipment such as helmets, uniforms, handguns for 100,000 Spanish troops and an ambitious naval buildup program jointly constructing for them an entirely new fleet consisting of two heavy cruisers, two capital ships, six light cruisers, 12 destroyers, 12 frigates, 24 corvettes. French military advisors assisting Spanish officers to rebuild their land and naval forces. Simultaneously both our army and navy are updated to modern standards with older ships being decommissioned and newer ones being planned to replace them, although work on them would begin after the successful conclusion of the Spanish revival programs. Same for the army as older equipment starts to be decommissioned while the procurement of new equipment shall take place after the successful conclusion of the Spanish revival programs. Napoleon IV continues to serve strengthening the nation and the regime by serving as its figurehead. Investment in the Napoleonic line continues as the French-Swiss border is further fortified and a light fortifications line is created to protect the newly incorporated Wallonian region at the borders with Belgium (Flanders), Germany and Luxembourg. Works continue elsewhere all along the Napoleonic line. We repeat our proposal of rapprochement to the German Empire, the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Kingdom of Italy a detailed proposal offering an ambitious road map to soothe ethnic tensions sparing our poor brethren from harm while cementing peace and prosperity in the form of a conference where we would discuss on how to deal with aforementioned ethnic issues and bring long term peace and prosperity in Europe. [German Empire, Italian Kingdom, Kingdom of Netherlands Responses]. Also, we make another proposal to our Spanish ally, King Jaime III, offering to concede our dominion over Pheasant Island instead of the current shared sovereignty that was agreed in the Treaty of the Pyrenees due to the great relations our nations enjoy currently. [Mod Response]
- Dutch Diplomacy: We also desire to protect our brethren and retain peace and prosperity in Europe so we will arrive.
- Mod Response: King Jaime III gladly agrees.
- Danubian Federation: We agree to have a referendum in the South Tyrol region but not the Trieste region.
The Reichstag, now made up of military officers, votes in Alfred Von Schlieffen, Chief of Staff of the German Army, as Chancellor of Germany. He immediately sends a message to France, telling them that Germany will only reconcile with France if they give up their revanchist claims to the Dijon and Alsace-Lorraine regions and end any and all attempts to counter German influence.
Yugoslavia adopts a new constitution that shares power between the Serbian and Bulgarian populations. The unification of most of the South Slavs leads to an uptick in nationalist sentiment in Austrian Croatia.
Mexico, with liberal American investment, quickly experiences an economic boom. Working conditions remain extremely poor, and agricultural workers do not experience any growth and instead face falling prices for their produce due to American competiton.
We are retconning the whole Belgium Wallonia shit.
In China, the Han Nationalists surround and besiege the imperial capital of Beijing. With this and the Japanese pressure, the Qing Emperor orders all Qing forces to cease fighting and surrender to the nationalist forces. He agrees to abdicate from his thrown and is landed into the custody of the Han Nationalists.
The Mau Mau Rebels continue their insurgency in the ZAR.
The Referendum in South Tyrol is fraught with uncertainty as several local and regional Pro-Austrian parties call for boycotts. Chaos reigns on the voting day with clashes between armed rioters breaking out in the region. The final count shows a slight bias toward joining Italy at 50.2 percent. However, local authorities report that several ballot boxes were attacked in transit and lost containing more than enough votes to change the outcome.
- Imperial Federation: Still largely equipped with the aging Maxim and Madsen Machine-guns, the army conducts trials to procure new weapons. The 1912 Military Machine gun trials produce two clear choices from the Vickers Company. The Vickers Heavy Machine gun is the obvious choice for a sustained, non-portable machine gun. Meanwhile, the Vickers-Berthier Light Machine gun offers a lighter, reliable, and cheap gun to replace the Madsen. The two guns are quickly placed into production alongside the Smith-Condit 1911 Rifle. A fourth weapon enters service with the IEF and IIA, the Fosbery 1891/1912 Slam-Action Shotgun. The war in China had revealed a deficiency in the assault power of the IEF, which a typical bolt-action can not easily solve. The adoption of the Fosbery gives IEF soldiers the power to fire five rounds of either buckshot or slugs in tight quarters. The guns are fitted with a perforated barrel guard and a standard bayonet lug. This revamp of the armed forces creates huge stocks of older HMGs, LMGs, and rifles. The overall stock of modern Lee-Enfield rifles sits at 1.5 million units with another 850,000 issued to the Home Army. The English economy continues to specialize in the industries that the government has chosen to support. The chemical industry in particular takes off as the first wave of new college graduate chemists since the increased education funding hits the job market. Turbine production continues to dominate global markets, as Britain holds a near monopoly on turbine propulsion due to its advanced technology, production facilities, and market hold. Shipbuilding benefits from this technological and industrial advantage, as it becomes relatively cheaper to build in the UK. Tractors become a major export as several prominent English tractor builders come to hold a 25 percent global market share on the important machines. MI5 continues to support the Boxers with arms and training should they agree to cease attacks on the Republic of Canton and also recognize its independence. The navy also completes several projects this year. The Orion-class super-dreadnoughts are commissioned into the Royal Navy, the first battleships to feature a 14" main battery. The ships follow on the "standard type" and employ the eight guns in four super-firing turrets. Additionally, the Lion-class pursuit battleships are launched and commissioned. We ask the ZAV to allow Imperial Expeditionary Forces numbering 25,000 men to garrison the region along the Cape-Cairo railway. (Mod Response)
- They agree. -Colgan Discord
- Danubian Federation: Another Year and the Federation still stands, but trouble is brewing in the South Tyrol region as the minority Italian population has begun rioting and has tampered with the voting results. In response, the Danubian congress declares the referendum “indecisive” and orders for a ramp up in police presence throughout the entirety of the South Tyrol region. We send diplomats to Italy, requesting they call on the rioters to stand down and participate in peace talks (YCASTO RESPONSE NEEDED). Reconstruction has ended in Hungary and the military government resigns and the occupation ends and Hungary is reincorporated as a state and the Hungarian Party for Peace and Prosperity-lead government takes control and begins promoting federalism and Danubian patriotism in Hungary. The Hungarian State is given Székely Land as an exclave. The renovations to Vienna continue with the architects and city planners returning from Washington DC and the new design plans for the Capital of the Federation begin. We decide to not recognize the Kingdom of Yugoslavia or the Serbian King’s claim as King of the South Slavs and in order to counter Serbian-nationalist movements in Austrian Bosnia, we begin promoting Croatian nationalist movements in the region that are more pro-Austrian then Serbian. We begin producing Madsen Machine guns and Modern Bolt Action rifles, along with the production of prototypes of semi-automatic weapons.
- Kingdom of Portugal: The Portuguese economy continues to grow in both the European homeland as well as in the overseas colonies. The National Mining Corporation consolidated several previously state-owned companies and the efficiency of Angolan and Mozambique mining operations has improved, increasing diamond and iron ore production. Other raw materials are also being produced there. The railways constructed throughout the African regions also increase trade. Portugal asks Britain if it can purchase some of its older rifle stocks for the Portuguese Army. (British response) The first of the Guadiana-class destroyers approaches completion, as does the submarine, Espadarte. The Guadiana has a displacement of 700 tons and is 240 ft long, equipped with three smaller 100 mm and 75 mm guns and four torpedo tubes. Espadarte, which will be the basis for establishing the First Submarine Squadron of the Portuguese Navy, is 148 ft long and has two torpedo tubes for 18" torpedoes. The Olympics Committee of Portugal is established. The Liberals combine with other left-wing factions to unite into the Portuguese Republican Party, a unified opposition to challenge the National Union in the legislative election planned for next year. As the Republicans try to campaign in the countryside, the National Union sees its own political leaders rise, including Joao Franco, who becomes the General Secretary of the Union. Franco shows promise, along with diplomat Tomas de Sousa Rosa and Colonial Minister Jose Maria de Sousa Horta e Costa, who challenge the military officer-dominated government. Franco, Horta e Costa, and Sousa Rosa are all considered for premiership following the next election by King Carlos. The administration of Admiral Francisco do Amaral will continue until next year.
- The Kingdom of The Netherlands: The Kingdom of the Netherlands sends diplomats to France and Belgium to discuss the bringing of Flanders under Dutch control and the Dutch in Dunkirk and Artois. Following the transfer of Flanders the Dutch government works to expand the industry in Flanders and allows any who wish to return to Belgium to do so as the people had little choice in the transfer of rule.
Kingdom of Belgium: The Belgian government accepts Flanders to Dutch authority.
- Nope, not happening. No nation in its right mind would commit suicide. With Blood and Iron (talk) 17:33, August 12, 2019 (UTC)
- Kingdom of Greece: By 1912, the country has went through several liberal reforms since the rise of Prime Minister Venizelos, who was elected in August 1911. A new constitution has been drafted with implementation of reformist ideas, mainly reducing the power of the king and transmitting those powers to the office of head of government (Prime Minister) and the increase of seats in parliament to 300. The election of Venizelos last year had marked the year where the old party system has transitioned into that of a new one. Venizelos founded the "National Liberal Party" of Greece, representing the centrist elements of Greek society, and supported by the middle class and the populations of the New Lands. the NLP was a merger of the Pro-Italian and Pro-British parties, along with several from the Pro-Russian and Pro-Austrian parties. Considering they are the most powerful parties, they dominate roughly three-quarters (specifically 222) of the 300 seats in parliament. Those in disagreement with the reforms, claiming that reforms would outpace the acceptance of change in Greek society (ironically), formed a coalition called the "People's Party Coalition." The PPC is traditional, mainly made up of former Pro-Russian and Pro-Austrian parties boosted with support from higher class and those from other minor parties, now controlled 74 seats. The last four seats are mainly contested between minor cliques who have split off and had not joined either faction. The population of Greece now numbers roughly between seven and eight million people, six million of which are Greek while the one to two million are minorities (mainly Turks who have not been in the population exchange), although the population has been on a very slow decline due to emigration of certain minority groups due to Greece's "hellenization" program in Asia Minor. The Greek Army still numbers 100,000 troops (although this also counts those who are in reserve), the majority of the active Greek military stands in Greek Anatolia acting as law enforcement along with enforcing the border between Greece and Turkey. Minor defensive fortifications has sprouted up over the years in case of Turkish revivalist movement pressing irredentism onto Greece. There has also been efforts to modernize the Greek Navy, with plans to improve select ships to allow travel effectively outside the Mediterranean. (More may come later).
- La Plata: While still having a somewhat larger than normal payment in terms of interest to creditors than the average power, La Plata is once again fully mobile with its national budget. Large investments and favorable policies are put into place on all forms on industry. Various businesses are opened or closed as loans to entrepreneurs and industry minded individuals are given more latitude in building a business. With a much more stable financial system, losses are able to be recouped much more efficiently albeit this is not necessarily something that happens to terribly often. One of the primary expansions in industry as of late is the expansion of heavy industry in a much more structured and dynamic way. The steel industry is expanded with the opening of a major steel mill closer to the coal deposits in the south as well as the more recent expansions of Neucera giving the steel mill some real pull as well as fostering a serious mindset to truly conquer the desert. Various smaller satellite towns develop along the southern railway system managing to develop some small local economies around natural resources located near the town. The Railway expansions continue with the areas around major cities now hosting a much more dense railway network which is extremely conducive to settlement and the development of countryside towns. With the recent influxes of immigrants and expansions of populations this works a lot more in favor or the country as it puts more land under use and cultivation and settlement. The last few years of development and this years rush to more dynamically expand the Platnean industry puts the country on the international map for industry. Its ever expanding control and use of its resources brings its industry into prominence, and its exports of minerals and key raw materials into serious territory on international markets as well. The Peso continues to gain value and make gains stopping short of roughly 1.4 pesos per Sterling Pound. The overall wealth of the population increases as well as a solid set of policies in place to the advantage of the people are put into place with the standing policy of "enriching the La Platan citizen, enriches the country." The newest industry to begin taking prominence is the shipbuilding industry which sees commercial and civilian ships being produced as the dockyards at Montevideo, Puerto Alegre, Buenos Aires, and Mar del Plata begin to compete for top spot in the countries shipbuilding industry. The La Platan Navy welcomes its new destroyers, and its new heavy cruiser. Rather than expand the light fleet this year a new ship has its keel laid down. The ANS Urquiza, a modern dreadnought comparable to all but the largest British designs. This is the only ship to be laid down this year to have its expected completion in 1914. The army ups its production of modern equipment this year officially phasing 50 percent of its old bolt action rifles for its semi automatic rifle. Elections occur this year with the President suffering health problems, a new president is elected. President Ferdinand Urquiza - a distant relative of one of the countries founding fathers. He runs on a platform of bringing the nation's industry into prominence. As the population continues to grow, the country sees its largest influx of immigrants this year. Roughly 200,000 people this year attracted by open land, once again high wages, and a multitude of jobs of all kinds with a new notable group of immigrants - French and German who collectively make up about 40,000 of this number. The various other groups remain about the same and the ban is lifted on settlement into the former Brazilian territories. For the first time since the integration, the majority of the populace in Uruguay supports the federal government. The population stands at 13.5 million.
- United States: As an American show of force, the USS Florida is dispatched with 7,000 Marines, veterans of Mexico, to secure American Zhangzhou and protect it from any idea of a Nationalist seizure of the city. Speaking of Mexico, in Mexico continued work on the countries rail gauges brings it inline to that of the US. Also in Mexico, President Roosevelt gets the Mexican Monopoly Act passed which heavily regulates US mega corporations in Mexico to allow for the growth of local Mexican companies. (More to Come)
- The Russian Empire: The rebellions in China continue. The states of the Uighurs, Mongols and Tibetan gain in numbers in support for their ideals. With the Uighur state on behalf of Sabit Dammolla creating the "Provisional Army of the Uighur state." Henri Cihoski being offered to become the head advisors of the armed forces.While the "Uighur Theocratic Army" members are moved over to the "Provisional Army of the Uighur state." Cihoski has proved himself as a Romanian in the Serbo-Bulgarian war on the side of Russia and the restoration of peace in Abyssinia. His appointment is also helped by his mixed ethnicity and shown loyalty to Romania and specifically the army of his nation. While in Mongolia Tögs-Ochiryn Namnansüren leaves his residence with a delegation to visit Russia, and establish an embassy for Mongolia. Mijiddorjiin Khanddorj the first Minister of Defense and head of the "United (Outer) Mongol Armed forces," Begins to professionalise and organise the Mongol army. Mijiddorjiin even adopting the Russian technology of the Tachanka and the armoured train. Emperor Vladimir of Russia dies of stroke, after slowly declining health over the years due to stress and general wear and tear over years. The Russian nation mourns the death of Vladimir of Russia. The Russian Government announce five days of mourning. While the mourning is happening, the lower and upper house of the Duma begin to organise the succession of his Son Kirill of Russia. On the 30th of May, Grand Duke Kirill Vladimirovich of Russia, becomes Tsar Kirill of Russia, Emperor of the Russ, Defender of the new Rome, Protector of the Orthodox people, king of kings. With Kirill becoming Tsar. He aims to industrialise Russia. This is done by the Royal industry incentive, Where the Russian national Bank gives very low interest loans (two percent) for people and companies and investment groups for those who will create and improve in industry. With Russian government even looking into making grants for those who can innovate the the industrial capabilities. While Kirill also begins to request from his ministers that they create a new more modern and free constitution then even Tsar Alexander II's constitution.
Alfred Von Schlieffen orders for the creation of the Schlieffen line, which is a defensive line on the border between France and Germany.
The German government begins secretly funding French opposition groups in hopes of destabilizing the country.
The Germans also offer to guarantee Belgian independence in the event France invaded in the attempt to seize Wallonia. In exchange for this guarantee, Belgium must give Germany the German parts of Belgium, which they reluctantly agree too.
the Mau Mau forces manage grow to 50,000 members. The rebel force is comprised of mostly natives and foreign volunteers, specifically exiled French leftists and Italian and German Marxists.
Opposition begins to organize against the new German government as the government begins releasing former MPs and politicians arrested during the military seizure of power two years before. The opposition to the stratocratic government are mainly from the left, but a significant part of the right also begins opposing the stratocratic government, mainly right-wing libertarians and some social conservatives.
- La Plata: The country continues to ramp up its development. Its heavy industry is the primary receiver of many subsidies and assistance the stimulate growth. The steel industry under the leadership of the public Acinodar Corporation, becomes the unrivaled leader of steel production in South America even blowing Mexico out of the water (not that Mexico had much to begin with). Fed by the larger production of steel and the ever easier extraction of the key components of steel within La Plata. Iron reserves in Patagonia and other regions are expanded heavily to accommodate the uptick in steel production. With domestic steel finally passing imported steel in terms of ease of purchase, many domestic firms turn to the Acinodar and other companies for Steel in many products. Shipbuilding sees a heavy increase this year as the inter-city competition sees Buenos Aires, Puerto Alegre, and surprisingly Mar del Plata come out as the three leading shipbuilding cities. However, Buenos Aires has a commanding lead due to the keel of the dreadnought Urquiza being laid down in the city giving the military a concrete reason to choose Buenos Aires as the primary location for their shipbuilding. As the expansion of the railways has taken shape, Rosario has become quite clearly the central hub for rail traffic throughout the country with the largest capable lines of traffic running through here to all the other major cities. Salta and Tucuman complete their own expansions this year and the Interior Development Authority is minted to handle all further infrastructure growth. Their first action is specifically the further integration of the Banda Orientale, and Greater Rio Grande regions with the investment into a more dense railway network being undertaken. To finance the railway network and more effectively manage it, the government begins to sell parts of pertinent railways to local railway companies to bolster local economies with the Platinean government only holding on to very clearcut strategic locations which are too important to turn over to private/corporate control. Development of the countryside continues as well with the next phase of development tackling the rural regions outside of Rosario, Buenos Aires, and Cordoba. smaller towns continue to pop up or continue development in regards to this. The continuation of the Urquiza in Buenos Aires brings more jobs to the city and also brings the navy once again to central attention within the Platinean society. Dubbed the "Queen of the Atlantic," The Platinean Navy plans another two dreadnoughts on top of a whole host of screen ships to put alongside the capital ships of the fleet. The army sees 80 percent in the modernization of its artillery and small arms. The army conscription system is also put to the test and a mock mobilization of about 250,000 men is ordered for the period of one week. The mobilization timetables are noted to be woefully slow and a new process is put to practice. With an army administration office to be assigned in every state the point is that the of each state will put their names in and a draft order will be created based on the laws regarding national conscription. Numbers will be given and depending on the mobilization level a percentage of those numbers will be called up. The most fit and properly aged males are put into the first tier of conscription. The development of small businesses focused around heavy industry products see a notable increase. More oil companies are founded looking to exploit the oil fields in Patagonia, and more shipyards are opened this year as well. Most notably, with the increase in steel production to meet the demand, machine parts factories are opened up in Mendoza, and Salta with the plan to have production able to meet roughly 75 percent of domestic demand within five years. In order to foster better economic conditions, various tariffs are lightened allows Platinean products to compete on the domestic market with foreign products. While not the stellar opening as was hoped, the Platinean products prove to be somewhat competitive, and the domestic movement to "Buy Native" sees the Platinean products more or less compete equally as a matter of national pride to many citizens. The trade centralization continues as well with the favorable imports sector in Buenos Aires and in general Platinean cities seeing these ports specifically Montevideo and Buenos Aires take command of South American trade. While trade obviously still occurs in other ports, the vast majority of the trade thoroughput comes through the Platinean ports. This is almost specifically because its only competitor port in Rio de Janeiro was nearly leveled during the Great War and most would rather see the splendid mansions and favorable trade policies of a rapidly growing and rising power and its developed cities, than the wrecked husk of Rio de Janeiro still not fully rebuilt from the war. The Platinean economy officially outpaces all other economies on the continent having overcome its recession and officially surpassing Brazil and its slowly rebuilding economy. The Reparations this year continue to fund the rainy day cushion fund for the government which is now beyond its expected rate. It effectively adds to the national surplus which is practically burning a hole through the pockets of the economic ministers who urge the spending of the fund on two things. First, to fuel the growth of the country more dynamically, and second, to pay off another significant chunk of the debt. This year legislation is passed on the fund putting one-half of it toward the national debt paying a significant portion of it down. The other one-half is to be augmented by next years reparations payment and devoted entirely to the economy. Population reaches 13.8 million this year with immigration continuing at a steady pace, but with lesser numbers than the previous year. roughly 120,000 immigrants arrive this year, but natural growth of the population has begun to rise specifically to the assimilation of immigrants and just simply a baby boom in terms of the native Platineans. After five years of some aggressive settlement and land distribution including a large influx the previous year, the Greater Rio Grande States now count almost 100,000 Platineans tracing origins from the south. While far from the majority they do give a solid base from which to outpace local Brazilian sentiment. A light incident occurs with some of this years reparations from Brazil forcing 30,000 troops from the Rio Grande Army to occupy some minor towns and threaten yet another march on Rio. Being thoroughly neutered and with mostly compliant Brazilian government officials following the quick occupation, reparations are extracted as usual. The Platinean government under president Urquiza meets with Brazilian diplomats to renegotiate the reparations payments, extending them to 35 years but lowering the amounts in materials and money given every year as the current amount has stifled Brazilian growth and recovery. This is agreed upon in detail specifically to prevent Brazil from deviating from the treaty, but also to prevent another war from effectively crashing the economy. After careful negotiation a trade treaty is signed with the Empire of Japan.
- Japanese Dip: An offer is made to invest in Argentine mining, and oil extraction due to the growth of demand in Japan.
- Platinean Dip: We agree.
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands: Following the growth in power of the Mau Mau rebels the Netherlands assigns 85,000 troops and five dreadnought battleships plus escort groups to the ZAR any support to the rebels will be considered a transgression against the Netherlands and asks that Germany coordinate to get rid of the Mau Mau rebels. (German response needed). Danns Vlierjanns is given command of the operation due to his experience in the Dutch East Indies. The five dreadnoughts plus escort groups are ordered to check any incoming and outgoing ships in order to make sure nothing gets to the rebels;
- The Imperial Federation offers to assist in protecting the eastern portions of the ZAR.
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands happily accepts.
- Imperial Federation: The Imperial Federation applauds Germany’s decision to uphold its dedication to the Treaty of London and support Belgian Sovereignty, but is not particularly happy with the seizure of Belgian lands. Military rearmament continues at a leisurely pace with the last 18,000 Smith-Condit 1911 Rifles delivered for service, 1,000 Vickers HMGs delivered, and 2,500 Vickers-Berthier LMGs delivered. Current plans call for several thousand more guns next year and in the following years with current stocks of Maxim Guns used for emplaced positions at Imperial Fortresses around the globe. Trucks begin to make an appearance in the IEF, particularly in deployments in China. Although useful in moving shells and supplies to the front, the trucks suffer from issues with mud and rough terrain prompting work to begin on a “Tracked Universal Transport and Carrier.” The concept is an armored artillery tractor to haul field guns to the front which could also carry ammunition without being at risk of detonation due to enemy fire. The concept is based on the Holt Caterpillar Company 65, a sixty-five horsepower gasoline-powered agricultural tractor. Testing and development is expected for the next few years. The economy of the empire continues to prosper. England retains a strong finance, aeronautical and tractor engineering, and chemicals sector. Meanwhile, Scotland has continued to develop a surprisingly advanced automotive sector. Ireland remains on the fringes, but even its economy benefits from access to the Empire’s global market. Australia’s steel sector begins to raise demand for immigrants and local authorities consider allowing migration from India and elsewhere. The Migrants Act of 1913 opens Australia to Indian, Cantonese, and Japanese immigration, but only a limited 30,000 a year will be allowed for the foreseeable future. The vast majority of these immigrants are from India, but many “Cantonese” refugees from China arrive in Australia as well seeking a better life and hard work in the coal and iron mines. MI5 begins establishing operational procedures to train its future agents. The organization quickly develops into one of the most professional and effective intelligence agencies on the planet, and easily the one with the largest reach. MI5 Agents embedded in the Chinese Nationalists organization begin looking for internal divisions to exploit, looking to divide the newly forming state along ideological lines. (Mod Response)
- Turkey: To properly re-assess and revive diplomatic ventures, trade deals are offered with Persia, the Rashidi Caliphate, and the German Empire (Mod Responses Needed). A military alliance is proposed to the Rashidi Caliphate (Mod Response Needed). Industrialization expands. A restructuring of the current Turkish culture begins. The Young Turk Party has been labeled as defunct, although its party members are expected to remain active until the next parliamentary election in 1915. New weapon manufacturers begin being hired, and soon the prototype Automatic Rifle "Bul" Model 1913 (OTL Chauchat) is unveiled. It's expected to be the primary automatic rifle in future conflicts after next year. Other new weapons unveiled include an updated Maxim gun, a prototype portable flamethrower, and the rifle Jez-13 (Mix between OTL Gewehr 88 and a bolt action version of the Jezail). Most naval assets are moved toward the army, as the Turkish Army is raised to 95,000.
- Kingdom of Italy: The marine is given a larger focus on the new torpedo technology and submarines. The fortification program with Dutch support on Sumatra continues, especially along the strait of Malacca to minimize piracy in the region. After the French do not meet the Political asylum is given to Solidarite members. Militarism is widely common in Italian society. The modernization efforts affect the colonies of Carthage and Mali as well, including all ports used by the Italian Navy. As ships become larger, harbors are often enlarged as well to have a larger capacity. Three more dreadnoughts are built along with another four destroyers. The industrialists are given lower taxes if they invest into a more modernized form of production, the same goes for farmers if they use modern farming methods. Fiji becomes more and more of a criminal colony, where not only poor immigrants often end up doing the hard work on the fishing boats or sugar fields, but also criminals that are given the choice of exile work there. Increased trade with Turkey is generally accepted. However, to maintain the good relations with Greece the free trade agreement is put on ice for now. The influence over the Zhejiang region is extended by extending the lands for Italian businesses, who invest especially into the locally very important textile industry. The upcoming referendum is massively supported with incredible amounts of money, to join Italy. Even the Germans are tried to be attracted by low taxes and general freedom with a certain degree of autonomy. This, however, requires the protesters to become peaceful and stop any violence, or the referendum will not be held (MOD RESPONSE, PLEASE). The reports over the MAu Mau uprising are heavily censored, in order to keep colonial possessions calm and under strict Italian rule, the events in South Africa are relativized as the insurgency of a few farmers who suffer under too high taxation. This, however, is countered by the so called Brigata Caserio, named after the famous anarchist and unionist Geronimo Caserio. Even though he wasn’t a Marxist, even large parts of the URS admire him for the Propaganda of the deed that he made popular. The Brigade is made up of a few dozen men only, as barely anybody can afford a voyage this long. Every known Italian who participates in these combats is in danger of losing his citizenship. SECRET The first working planes are produced by Alfa Romeo, another automobile producer. They are combined with another new invention, namely dynamite. The army staff sees potential in the new technology, and its experimented that the pilot could fly low over the battlefield while throwing out dynamite or even grenades. These ideas are scrapped early on, as the planes are not as maneuverable as hoped. SECRET END
- Nippon: With the surrender of the Qing dynasty to the Chinese Nationalists, The Kwantung army along with several local leaders officially declare the Protectorate of Manchuria under Japanese rule, on the grounds that Manchuria has always been a separate entity from China within the administration of the Qing Dynasty. The border between Manchuria now Manshu, and China is fortified. Mukden is declared the Protectorate capital. investment in industrial growth in the region begins in earnest just as the Manchuria railway is finished, with plans for expansion into the interior laid out. offers are made to Japanese looking for work, and to members of the armed forces to settle more sparsely inhabited interior. industrial expansion continues back home. Development of turbines begins based on British designs. Investments into technological advancements continue with a great emphasis being placed on chemistry, physics, medicine, mechanical, civic, and marine engineering. military engineering also sees large growth due to the increased need for newer weapons and tools of war. The textile industry begins to expand again as more dyes and synthetic materials become increasingly cheaper to produce. The automotive industry in Japan starts to take off after the first commercial factory is opened by Matsui motors in Nagoya. Military factories for the production of trucks also grow in Nagoya, Kobe, Fakuoka, Osaka, and Saporro. Biplanes, and seaplanes are also produced in larger numbers following the notes of British experiments with seaplanes attacking decommissioned ships. The IJN incentivised by Prince Teruhito, and Captain Yamamoto carry out a similar experiment on a decommissioned destroyer. Development of a large craft to house planes begins (OTL development) by transforming one of Japan's newer armored deck into a platform for landings and take offs. The full order for the Fuji-class battleships are completed, while another four Kami pursuit battleships are commissioned. An Asa (hemp) cotton blend is perfected reducing the cost of production of textiles a little more and greatly improving yields. With this new development the demand for Asa steadily grows outside of its recreational purposes. The growth in violence in Kobe, and nagoya over labour rights sparks a new wave of crackdowns in the docks and the red light district. Harukichi and his fellow dock workers see an opportunity to make some money and gain prominance organizes his fellow dock workers some of which like him have experience from the Sino-Japanese war and begin protecting the local brothels, and gambling houses from the police by paying off local officials, and from gangs or spill over of street violence quickly setting up a protection racket in the red light district of Kobe, and even in the docks as the new group acts as buffer so the docks can stay in operation. Representatives from Tokyo go to Beijing to open up formal negotiations with the new chinese government and to offer them a "clean slate" in relations between China and Japan on the grounds of equals in a modern and changing World. A formal request by the now Aging Emperor Meiji is made that the royal family of Qing not be executed but rather sent to Manchuria in exile, and for China's formal recognition of Japanese soverieignty over Manchuria. Japanese agents conmtinue to support pro-Japanese and Pan-Asianist groups and individuals across East Asia focusing primarily on Vietnam, Phulippines, and Manchuria which are already in Japan's Sphere, while efforts to expand Japanese influence in Korea, China, and Siam continue.
- German Empire: Kaiser Wilhelm announces to sitting members of government his ideas to continue on Naval Expansion and Expansion in the air. The Luftwaffe of The German Empire sees expansions with aircrafts with the new legislation of the Air, Land, and Sea proposal pursuing a focus on motorized vehicles and artillery and various weaponry for the Military Focus set in place seeing the empire already happens to have a large amount of men in case of an outbreak of war was to take place. For the Luftwaffe, a focus on reconnaissance and research on the potential use of weaponry from special aircrafts are put into motion with more funding being brought upon that. Furthermore, the navy sees an expansion of training operations and the construction of three more dreadnoughts, six destroyers, and 15 more U-Boats. Older ships are decommissioned or placed within the State of Mittelafrika for their own usage. Colonial military in Cochinchina sees a rise in expansion for the sake of maintaining our interest and claims within the region. A message is relayed to Japan requesting a formal agreement of trade between the two empires and the security of mutual interests and benefits in the form of an economic alliance within the region (Player Response). A military parade is set to be hosted in several locations next year across The German Fatherland. The Mittelafrika economy booms with the expansion of harvesting raw materials through the mines producing resources that could be used to produce manufactured goods and other products that may be sold in the global market. The German population grows in cleared out region of the Kongo with New Holstein Settlers staking their claims in the midst of the fallen natives from varying factors that have negatively plagued them up to this point. Survivors of these tribulations though seek work within the large expanding plantations and mines where earnings would provide sustainable living as this trend continues with many natives taking ownership over some of these mining areas or starting businesses of their own amongst their German Afrikan counterparts. The other native Mittelafrikans outside the Kongo region happen to have a rising standard of living with each passing year as the fruits of their labor make its way back into their hands in the form of developed living areas that have spread with road connections and railways adding to convenience. A new railway project to build along the Kongo River is put into place seeing the potential to have a similar effect to spawn population hubs although many beyond the rivers have become very accustomed to their rural and agricultural living. Talks of an Oasis Project for West Afrika and Morocco begins after a secret proposal was sent to the cabinet. Opposition within the system of government in place cool down as momentum prevents much of any growth.
- Kingdom of Portugal: The election of 1913 is more intense than the previous one three years ago, with the National Union being challenged by the leftist Portuguese Republican Party. Despite their campaigning, the rise of Portugal's fortunes over the past several years continues to hold and as do the people's Catholic values, so the National Union wins 119 seats out of the 148 in the Chamber of Deputies. The Republicans are again not a significant political force. The ideas embodied in the National Union motto of "Rei, Patria, e Familia" resonate with more of the public and there is also more of a drive to modernize Portugal along the lines of the rest of Europe. Reformers in places like Turkey and Japan are seen as examples. A young Antonio de Oliviera Salazar graduates from Coimbra Law School with exceptionally high marks, for which he earns praise from the King, and copies of Salazar's essay on a future vision for Portugal impress Dom Carlos so much that he circulates them to every member of the cabinet and his privy council. Membership in the Legiao Portuguesa has also grown and the organisation is formally made the civil defense branch of the military, providing a first line reserve. The Legion establishes training centers for providing military training for new volunteers. In the parliament, Joao Franco is appointed as the new President of the Council of Ministers after some deliberation, while de Sousa Rosa becomes Foreign Minister and Horta e Costa carries on as Colonial Minister. This ends more than a decade of military governments headed by generals and admirals. Marshal Manuel Gomes da Costa is appointed Minister of War in this new cabinet, while a younger general Oscar Carmona becomes chief of the general staff. Former Prime Minister, Gen. Jose Augusto Alves Rocadas, is named commander of the Field Army in metropolitan Portugal, giving him effective command over the land defense of the homeland. Admiral Francisco do Amaral, also former Prime Minister, becomes Naval Minister. In recent years the corporative chamber set up by the King also has been playing a bigger role, with the economic growth giving more influence to companies. Still, labor union membership is high and the government regulates the corporations to defend the people's rights while also working with them. The new government approves a program that forsees building another three submarines, expanding the Lisbon Naval Arsenal to build larger warships by 1920, and has reservations for building additional surface ships. In particular the Naval Ministry seeks to increase its number of battleships. The submarine Espadarte is complete and joins the navy as the basis for a submarine squadron. It is currently assigned to the Home Fleet in Lisbon but goes on a world tour to test its systems, traveling from Lisbon to Portuguese Africa, and then to Goa before returning to its home port. Two more Guadiana class destroyers are commissioned and enter the fleet, bringing the total destroyer force up to 13. Near the waters of Macau, the Portuguese Far East Fleet uses the ongoing chaos in China as an opportunity for live training, and Portuguese warships patrol the waters for pirate vessels preying on shipping along the southern Chinese coast. Combat against pirates in the South China Sea is seen as a new training exercise to give the crews more experience. The Portuguese Army is mostly equipped with more modern weaponry based on the British imports, and the new organisational structure that was being formed since the early 1900s is fully complete. Conscripts called up for the land forces will serve their two years and then be rotated into militia-based organisation based on their province, working closely with the Portuguese Legion, that will allow for quick mobilisation of these active reservists. The colonies also continue to develop as more Portuguese settlers move in and economic efficiency increases, with several chartered companies by the Crown merging into larger corporations. Timor sees an increase in agricultural production.
- 'Kingdom of Yugoslavia:' The kingdom (also called the monarchists) puts in' agricultural policies to help farmers in Bulgaria and Serbia to benefit the whole population. The monarchists are stationed in the region that borders Vojvodina, and making the border a safe territory. We put in religious policies to take steps for a wider toleration of the practice of Islam, designating Slavic Muslims as a separate ethnic/culture group and one of its constituent peoples. We may soon also recognize it as a "secondary" language of Yugoslavia, asides from Serbian and Bulgarian. Yugoslavia would like to send a trade request to Greece. We would like two ships from the 1700s and in return we will provide Greece mining rights to Northern Macedonia.' (PLAYER REPONSE)
- Greek Dip: This deal sounds too good to be true, we feel a little bad so we'll add in a return of 30 percent of resources/profits we make from the region (this will include SOME of the Greek armaments that are produced), and would provide free port access to Yugoslavian traders. We advise the Yugoslavian government to focus more on the cost than the product itself in the future or else other governments may take advantage of them.
- United States: With the threat of War escalating in Europe, the army starts developing new tactics for the foreseen conflict. With experience from Cuba, Mexico, and China, even the Civil war still fresh in the General Staff's mind, troops are issued with M1907 automatic rifles to use in close range. Experience in simulations and the Mexican War show this as truth. 200,000 accept for the guns to be rechambered for a special US 7.62x35mm round. President Roosevelt is sworn in for a 4th term after beating Woodrow Wilson in the election of 1912.The 17th amendment is passed. Women's suffrage parades occur in New York and Washington DC. Johnny is marching back, to remember. The 50th anniversary of Gettysburg arrives. President Roosevelt makes a speech personally to thousands of people showing the victory against slavery and injustice, and drabs into the time he saw President Lincolns casket in the funeral from an apartment window in New York when he was five. John Browning is contracted to create a water-cooled machinegun equivalent to the British Vickers or the German Maxim. The M1913 Davis recoilless rifle. The USS Nevada is commissioned along with a few other dreadnaughts. President Roosevelt travels to Panama after vetoing the Federal Reserve Bill. After exiting the USS North Dakota, Teddy sets off a charge which destroys the final dike signifying the end of construction of the Panama Canal. The Curtis Aircraft Company takes over from the Wright Brothers. The Ford Motor Company creates the worlds first moving assembly line.
- The Russian Empire: The Uighur independence movement grows even more and the "Provisional Army of the Uighur State" gains numbers. The army gaining up to 100,000 soldiers with different amount of training and profesionalism. Most of them being peasants or other lower class men seeking to climb the economic and social ladder, as the military does give a decent wage compared to peasant jobs. While the war is happening, Uighur politicians begin to draft the first Constitution and regulation of the nation. With the Constitution having all rights of the people in it, some of those being: Freedom of religion, Freedom of assembly, Freedom of speech - with rights only being able to be suspended if the Parliament of the Uighur state votes a two-thirds majority or a basic majority if the Khan seeks one. The rights and obligations of the khan being: Appointing a Coalition formateur, voting in parliament if an exact split, meeting with foreign leaders, and most importantly, to lead the army in times of war. Reform sweeps through Abyssinia, A parliament is established and a constitutional reform. These reforms giving power to the Parliament, while lessening it of Emperor Lij Iyasu and making him accountable to the parliament. The parliament - on their turn - having an oath to the Russian Tsar, who is currently Kirill of Russia. "United (Outer) Mongol Armed forces" are on the attack seeing their chance to liberate their Mongolian brothers in Inner Mongolia, 50,000 Mongol soldiers cross the former border - these Mongols attacking like they did during Ghengis khan, Tachankas swerming the fields, "Maxim's Machine gun model 1909" accuracy combined with Tachanka horse speed. Tachankas are pulled by the best quality horses, the Mongol horse of their ancestors - this being the first time the PM M'09 has ever been used by an army force.
In Norway, Prince Christian Frederik Carl of Denmark, with support from the Norwegian parliament, declares independence the dissolution of the personal union with Sweden and the complete independence of Norway, the parliament then proceeds to declare Christian King Haakon VII of Norway. Sweden agrees to recognize Norway’s independence and the two sign a treaty of friendship.
A incident occurs on the Franco-German border between German and French border guards which results on a firefight between the two sides. The incident reaches Paris, where Boulanger’s advisors urge him to take this chance to declare war on Germany and seize Alsace-Lorraine.
With the Yihetuan victorious over the Qing and the capture of the Qing imperial family, the Yihetuan decide to yield to the Japanese request that the Qing imperial family be released to them, while the Yihetuan keep the emperor and execute him by hanging in front of a large crowd chanting “Shāle tā!” Or “kill him!”
Adolf Hitler is still in Austria, where he becomes a severe drug addict. He one day stumbles into a bookstore where he sees a book called “the communist manifesto” and immediately buys it along with other books. When he gets back to the ghetto, he reads the book when he is not high on drugs and becomes invested. He soon declares himself a Marxist and develops his own interpretation of Marxist thought, where he incorporates ufology into his theory claiming that aliens exist and that to achieve true communism, we must call on the aid of our intergalactic comrades for help in which we will use their death rays to destroy London, Paris, and New York, which he calls the “hellspawns of capitalism.” He also suggests we drug the water in Cape Town South Africa “just for the fun of it.”
- German Empire: with the incident at the Franco-German Border, the incident reaches Berlin in which a full blown investigation begins over the incident with a conclusion ruling it as an accident. Medical injuries are covered by the state but nothing more is done in light of some warhawks within the administration seeing it as a missed opportunity to wage war leading to a series of debates within the cabinet with the verdict by the Kaiser himself deciding the fate for action and they rule for peace. The fall of Norway-Sweden sees a bittersweet feel within Berlin with representatives sent to the now two separate Nordic Kingdoms in hopes of relationship improvements and the Kaiser being sent to Oslo as a guest to witness the coronation of the new Norwegian Monarch.
A young Adolf Hitler joins the Bavarian Army seeing about the changing tides within Europe only looking to be ripe for him to serve in the armed forces as he sees a time of war only around the corner.The Air, Land, and Sea initiative moves forward as the parade displays show off the might of the Empire. A German Officer is shot in the newly incorporated German territory annexed from Belgium with rumours hinting at some kind of assasination plot on the Kaiser after he had visited the region and had evaded gunfire just a day prior. A new investigation sprawls out while in Berlin, the cabinet begins to point fingers and in light of the Kaiser's ever so increasing paranoia, he remains to be the most level headed and optimistic within his cabinet. The Chancellor remains to hold off on voicing his thoughts on who might be responsible as the stste of peace for The Empire could be at stake.
- Sorry, bud. - Mod
- United States: Isaac Newton Lewis designs a light machinegun for the US army. After some testing with the Springfield armory, the Lewis M1914 light machine gun, meanwhile, basing it on the Maxim gun, John Browning makes a new American heavy machine gun which is adopted as the M1914B (B for Browning and OTL M1917 mg). Babe Ruth makes his debut with the Boston Red Socks. The Tarrytown Bombing strikes the nation. Two anarchists operating from New York manage to detonate a bomb at John Rockefellers house, destroying it but not killing the man since he wasn't there. A series of Federal raids occurs across the Northeast. These mainly target the Industrial Workers of the World or IWW, and radical labor unions. A rally is held in Union Square by the Anti-Militarist League in honor against the victims of Federal arrests. The last passenger pigeon, passes away peacefully in the Cincinnati Zoo. The Battle of Ludlow occurs between Colorado State Police and striking miners. In all 1914 politically is not a peaceful year for the Union. The Union United, By Land, By Sea! The Panama Canal is opened to world with the first ship passing through be the USS Wyoming, a ship bearing the name of a symbol of American Westward Expansion. To symbolize US and British relations in the coming years, the second ship to pass through the canal is the RMS Titanic, on a trip from New York to San Francisco and off to Japan. Mothers Day is proclaimed a US national holiday. Ford Motor announces the eight-hour work day with a minimum wage of $5.00.
- La Plata: The Federation of La Plata is swamped by immigrants following the Franco-German border incident. Tens of thousands of French and Germans not wishing to fight in a yet another great European war flee the continent by any means necessary. While the United States is a primary destination, so is La Plata. The availability of land, jobs, and ways to make ones fortune pushes the countries handling of immigration to the limit with nearly double the amount of immigration than expected with nearly 300,000 immigrants in total flooding the country in short order. The countries economy finally comes into its own and the recession is finally anounced over as the economy achieves an unprecedented seven percent growth this year which is extremely unusual. It is noted that the expansion of the job market, and the rising of the countries industrial capacity is responsible for this. This year sees the stimulus of the economy as well with the remainder of the Surplus fund being spent on key industrial and infrastructural projects, specifically the development of the more lightly populated southern territories which barring two small cities and the developed resource deposits, has been more or less ignored. Railways are built in previously unreached territory, and new towns are founded in the south, mostly fishing or farming towns which augment the regional economy and which will give the southern states a much more local and sustainable food source. Neuquen continues its growth quickly becomming the largest city in the southern states boasting nearly 45,000 people and growing rapidly as its local economy is quickly developed to help support the southern states. The population - thanks to immigration and births - has finally managed a nearly full recovery from the war. The postitive economic growth, stabilization of the country, reconstitution of the Peso, and a host of other development have led to the country entering a true industrial baby boom. The Average family size is nearly four to five children fluctuating by the year, and the Catholic nature of most of the immigrants further contributes to much larger families. The Platinean Army finally opens its ranks to immigrants as a job type waiving the one-year period of settlement to allow the army to expand. With the integration of Uruguay, and Greater Rio Grande, the military ranks are extended to many populations here as well allowing them to volunteer. As the more hardened veterans of the Great War stand as the new senior and junior officers of the army, the army for the first time in five years sees a natural non-conscription based growth. 50,000 volunteers this year bring the army to nearly 350,000 and with the ramping up the Fabrique Nationale and artillery founderies, the army has effectively replaced all of its older bolt action rifles with its semi-automatic rifle. The older rifles are kept in stockpile specifically in case of a major war breaking out and a draft is needed. This year sees the adoption of the first Platinean developed machinegun. The M-1913 heavy machine gun is developed on design concepts. A box fed magazine containing 100 rounds is adopted and across multiple platoons the machine gun is to be integrated in a defensive and support role across the army. The Gendarmerie is officially reorganized fully into the La Platan Guardia Nationale which serves as the reserve army for the country as well as the force used for riots, heavy protesting, and occupation duty if needed. It numbers roughly 600,000 and stands as a semi-permanent force which can be called up rapidly and only calls on roughly one week of training per month with waivers provided to prevent jobs from being lost while on this duty. The countries medium and heavy industry continues to expand with steel, machine parts, and shiprights being some of the main drivers of heavy industrial growth this year alongside the now immensely expanded oil industry in Patagonia. With the need to find more solidified export markets, a series of buisiness agreements are made bringing Platinean industrial product to multiple countries in South America. Brazil, Venezuela, Colombia, and Ecuador are the primary export partners on the continent with plans to expand these ties over the next few years. The ANS Urquiza is launched this year to a long ceremony and is commissioned into the navy. La Plata first domestically built dreadnought equal to all but the super-dreadnoughts of the British is put into the navy and as it hits the Atlantic fires a 12-gun salute from all of its heavy batteries. This launching is immediately followed by the laying down of three light cruisers, and seven more destroyers to be completed by next year, and the laying down of two more dreadnought hulls just following those the next year with the plan to have three dreadnoughts for the Platinean fleet by 1916. Platinean wages remain high this year as the need for good labor remains a pressing issue for the ever-expanding economy. In order to properly assimilate the waves of immigrants into the society of the country, the school system is expanded and improved upon in order to make sure that a significant portion of the population remains highly literate, and be qualified for higher quality jobs. The beef industry as well feeding on the expansion of canneries and other businesses which allow for it to be preserved in a decent quality, expands greatly with the export of the Beef industry outpacing all other competitors except the titanic beef industry of the United States which stands in a league of its own compared to pretty much the rest of the planet. The population reaches 13.8 million and prediction put the country's population to grow to nearly 25-3to-30 million over the next ten-to-15 years stunning many analysts. The Growth of banking with Buenos Aires begins to pain the city in a positive light for financial transactions which sets the city up to become an important center of banking in the hemisphere in the next decade or so.
- Imperial Federation: Concerned about Franco-German tensions. The Imperial Expeditionary Force is recalled to England. Rearmament continues, with 20,000 more Smith-Condit 1911 rifles constructed as spares. Meanwhile, another 4,000 LMGs and 2,200 HMGs are finished. Work continues on the Tracked Universal Transport and Carrier, and a standard 2.5 ton truck is adopted for IEF and artillery support use, 500 of these trucks are ordered. A British task force is sent to the Republic of Canton and 25,000 Cantonese troops are used to seize Hainan for the Republic. British investment in the Cantonese economy ramps up dramatically as the populous region begins to fully stabilize. Although domestically largely independent from the Imperial Federation, the government remains a protectorate of the crown with an open economy and part of the unified foreign policy. Guangzhou quickly becomes the resurgent cultural capital of the new Cantonese identity which is developing with the support of MI5 Propagandists. Cantonese, the language of government is adopted as the national language and mandatory in primary education institutions. Overall, the economy of the empire continues to prosper. England retains a strong finance, aeronautical and tractor engineering, and chemicals sector. Meanwhile, Scotland has continued to develop a surprisingly advanced automotive sector. Ireland remains on the fringes, but even its economy benefits from access to the Empire’s global market. Australia’s steel sector flourishes due to the influx of cheap labor. MI5 Agents embedded in the Chinese Nationalists organization begin looking for internal divisions to exploit, looking to divide the newly forming state along ideological lines. (Mod Response)
- Kingdom of Portugal: With rising tensions on the continent, the Portuguese Army is placed on higher alert. The country's three leading generals — Gomes, Carmona, and Rocadas—are given the task of overseeing the defences of Portugal by the King. The army is fully reorganised and the militia structure will allow for a faster mobilisation if it is necessary. Another Guadiana-class destroyer is commissioned, with one more still under construction. Prime Minister Franco's government finalises another naval spending bill to increase funds to the Portuguese Navy. Plans are being considered for the acquisition of new warships. The Lisbon Naval Arsenal begins the first stage of its expansion process. Amaral reestablishes the Portuguese Marine Corps, officially the Corpo de Fuzileiros, with an initial strength of 3,000 men. These consist of army soldiers and regular sailors, who are selected to be given additional training in amphibious warfare. The Naval Minister intends for the Fusiliers to serve as a rapid reaction force to defend Portuguese interests and respond quickly to threats throughout the empire. The new marines are being trained in several different types of combat to become an elite force. More schools are opened throughout Portugal as the government continues to fund education programs and the literacy rate of Portuguese is slowly rising. The Portuguese colonies continue developing as the local economy is growing, and production of raw goods increases.
- The Russian Empire: Norwegian full independence is recognised by the Russian Government, and offers to establish an embassy combined with a demilitarisation of the border (Norwegian response). While with the possibility of war in Europe, the Russian army mobilises one million men near the the western border and keeping the 500,000 in Anatolia and 250,000 in thrace active. The soldiers in thrace being there to protect any possible Turkish attack, as the Russian government accusses the Turkish government of being opportunistic who will take all chances they have to attack its neighbours if it has the chance arrives. Soldiers on the western border and Turkish border being ordered to better the defences in the German border called the "Petrine Line" with the defence on the Austrian border called the "Rurikine Guard," while the line on the Turkish border called the "Palaiologian Wall." The name of line being a reference to the last dynasty of the Byzantine empire who had to defend Constantinople, which the line will try to do so. To defend the Orthodox faith and crown, and the people who follow it like the fellow Greeks, Armenians and Ponts. While in Asia with Chinese inability to attack the freed states, of the Uighurs and greater Mongolia demand that “Great Chinese State” respects their Independence(Mod response). While this is happening stability comes to the nations "Provisional Army of the Uighur State" training their 100,000 troops with more then one-half defending the new border between them and China, While the "United Mongol Armed forces" Togheter with the the "Russian Protection Force of Mongolia" begin to forify their borders. The Russian government, seeing the war, mobilises the troops on the Russo-Somali and Yemeni-Arab border so that the Russians in those lands will be safe.
- Dominion of Canada: With Europe about to fall into chaos, Canada would prepare to send their troops and navy to the Atlantic to prepare for war. Canada would also begin to mobilize its army in case a war would happen as Canada would need to help Great Britain. Canada asks Britain (AKA Imperial Federation) if they would allow Canada to send troops if a war would occur (Imperial Federation response needed) The navy is as well very prepared for any situation if a war would occur.
The Yihetuan, under the leadership of Cao Futian, declare the “Great Chinese State,” an oligarchal republic, in Chongqing, the de facto capital of the Nationalists during the civil war and one of the greatest bases of Yihetuan support. The government begins reconstruction. Cao Futian also declares that there will be no more concessions toward foreigners though agrees to allow the already established concessions to remain.
Mau Mau rose to 100,000 members. Mau Mau Rebel cells in Johannesburg set off a bomb in the local government building, killing 40 people and injuring 20. The bombing leads to ZAR troops to increase their presence in the Johannesburg ghettos, which eventually leads to riots breaking out n the city.
- Yugoslavia: Established a company of agriculture while keep going great for their citizens.
- Turkey: Major trade deals are brokered with the Persian State and the Rashidi Caliphate, and a military alliance is put forth as a means of protecting the scattered Islamic world. Industrialization expands. A restructuring of the current Turkish culture begins. Prior to the parliamentary elections of 1915, the Great Unity Party would be absorbed into the greater Republican Peoples' Party. In the 1915 parliamentary elections, out of the 200 seats available, Ultranationalist Faction holds the majority with 78 seats, the Republican Peoples' Party with 52 seats, the National Socialist Commune with 34 seats, the Democratic Liberal Party with 22 seats, the Socialist Workers' Federation with 13 seats. The Reformist Coalition is formed between the Ultranationalist Faction, the National Socialist Commune, and the Republican Peoples' Party, allowing for a much larger and staggering majority over the parliament. With this, sweeping reforms are made to further fund the military, with the "Bul" Model 1915 becoming the image of modern Turkish arms, as well as the Jez-13 and the Maxim '14. Flamethrowers are expected to make an appearance next year. To further turmoil, the mass-produced Jez-13 begins being secretly moved into Greek Ionia to properly arm Turkish citizens for a full revolution for re-unification, as well as in Russian Anatolia. Varying minor ethnicities are promised sovereign states if they revolt, and trails leading back to the Turkish government are covered. The Turkish Army is raised to 155,000 this year. As a means of espionage and information gathering, spy networks are established across all of the Balkans, as well as in Russia.
- Nippon: In a tragic accident Tenno Meiji's first son the recluse Prince Yoshihito passes away due to health complications, though some suspect that foul play might have been involved considering the advanced age of Emperor Meiji, and the desire of some for a stronger monarch in the form of his second son Teruhito. Upon hearing about the death of his brother Prince Teruhito is named crown prince and is pressured to resign from his post in the navy. Despite this he retains close ties with many of his fellow officers, in particular Yamamoto. During the public mourning of Prince Yoshihito Teruhito comes into contact for the first time with Ikki Kita, and Uchida Ryohei. Having read their works previously through Yamamoto he becomes enthralled at the prospects of furtheringthe restoration or reformation of Japanese society. Naval expansion continues, as does their research into naval aviation, and into the development of turbines. The Kwantung Army begins construction of the Dalian Arsenal, and they begin research into modern army equipment examining the semi automatic rifle,modern machine guns, and more compact automatic weapons drawing in a large amount of military engineers into the research and development unit of the Kwantung.Efforts to expand artillery production and modernize artillery pieces also begin noting the need for improved long range arsenal. industrial expansion continues. The demand for trucks increases as government usage of automotives for both public projects, and military usage booms. Automotives remain a luxury good in the private sector. Textile sales continue to grow specially as oversea markets in Manchuria, Philippines, and South East Asia become increasingly dominated by Japanese business. Pro-Japanese newspapers, and propaganda begin to pop up throughout the orient as Japanese efforts to extend their infuluence and reach continues. In roads are made into Korea nad China are also made due to the disruption caused by the chinese civil war. Funding into technological research and development continues, particualrly in the various fields of engineering and the development of high precission machinery, and high pressure, physics, chemistry, medicine, biology and the natural sciences over all. Debate and research in the social sciences continue with Pan-Asianism becoming increasingly popular maongst academics, and intellectuals alike. The Yamaguchi gumi is formally established out of Harukichi's protection racket, Using the money they have collected they greatly expand their membership within the cities of Kobe and Nagoya, and also quickly come to dominate the labour movement raising a lot of concerns amongst local law enforcement. Because of the large amount of former soldiers amongast its ranks, the police are unable to push around the unions anymore, leading to increased tensions with local officials.
- Taiwan and Nanyo: The island of Formosa and the former Spanish Pacific Islands are formally reorganized into the South Sea Territories, and placed under the overall control of Taihoku (Taipei). efforts to begin integrating the locals, and support local development begin in earnest. Japanese style public schooling is started, Public wroks and infrastructure improvements begin. The Taihoku bank is opened as a subsidiary of the Bank of Japan. Assimilation and integration policies through positive discrimination begins and by reinforcing the Buddhism in the territories and by making it easier to gain employment by speaking Japanese though workers who dont speak the language are not turned away.
- Manshu: The former imperial Qing family is welcomed giving a comfy estate in Northern Manshu, and they are granted titles of Japanese nobility alnog with many of the Manchurian clans to begin integrating Mnachuria into Japan. Efforts to overhaul and modernize Manchuria begin with the expansion of the Manchuria railway beginning. The Railway quickly remains the largest source of work for people though plans are laid out by the Zaibatsus and the Kwantung Army to begin expanding industry in the region to take advantage of the large mineral deposits and natural resources in the region. Settlement of Japanese top the region is also supported as land reforms are planned. Education receives an overhaul introducing mandatory schooling into the region. In an effort to gain the support of the local Han Chinese the old Manchu hair policy is banned as an outdated and discriminatory policy. The Black Dragon society opens up several news papers publishing their Pan-Asian ideology and pushing the message that Manshu has always been a frontier region of many races and people, and as such is the perfect place to start employing the Pan-Asian dream under Japanese guidance.
- Nip Dip: Tokyo offers the new Chinese government a loan to help them with reconstruction and to provide advisors to help the country modernize in a show of friendship. They also request to open embassy in Chongqing. (Mod response needed)
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands: Following some internal arguments as to the number of soldiers allocated to Africa in this state of potential war in Europe only 75,000 are allocated the Netherlands also states that they swear to remain neutral unless acted upon were two great powers to go to war. If the Netherlands were dragged in they will take every available opportunity to avoid war but if war is a must we will give it our all. As such the operations in Africa are pushed back due to a recognition that blood on both sides does not need to be shed and the Dutch send a request to the Mau Mau to avoid war and bring peace and prosperity to South Africa. Following the failure to come to an agreement, The Kingdom of the Netherlands allocates an additional 30,000 troops to the area and begin to make there attacks on the Mau Mau. The Dutch forces have two slight victories in the Northern cape forcing the Mau Mau to retreat to Johannesburg the Mau Mau take a total 25,000 casualties and the Dutch take a total 10,000.
- United States: The Coast Guard is turned into an active branch by an act of Congress. Rocky Mountain National Park is created. Resulting from Guinn v United States, the idea of the States of Texas, Tennessee, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North and South Carolina, and Virginia v United States sees the literacy test for voting declared unconstitutional, that you cannot essentially deny a man's right to vote with a terrible test which was found to be clueless to both whites and Asians as well in the FBI investigation. After a series of decisions, Roosevelt sends 300 marines to occupy Port-Au Prince, which they do, then he sends 3,000 reinforcements to begin the American Occupation of Haiti. Lassen Peak erupts as the first volcano in the continental US since 1900. The Lynching of officer Tyrone Jackson in Georgia. The officer was on duty on Thanksgiving when he was patrolling around Stone Mountain Park and noticed some fires and went to investigate. What he uncovered was a mass secret Klan meeting. Being black he was shot and wounded, then later lynched by the mob of Klansmen. In response, Colonel George S. Patton is sent down to Georgia with 10,000 men to clean up the Klan and route them out. Roosevelt forces down congresses through the Second Klan Act re-affirming the Klan's status as a terrorist group, and anyone caught acting with the Klan could become a traitor to the United States. Democratic Senators filibuster the bill, and cause it to fail. In lighter news, President Roosevelt is the first President to throw out the "First Pitch" at a baseball game.
- Kingdom of Portugal: Two naval officers, Artur de Sacadura Cabral and Antonio Joaquim Caseiro, are sent to Britain to learn to fly aircraft, specifically flying boats. The Franco government intends for these to men to eventually become the basis of a Portuguese Naval Air Service. In the near future, the Portuguese general staff plans on establishing an aviation school for training pilots. The idea receives support from members of the general staff. Factories are completed in Portugal that will allow the Portuguese Army to produce its own modern rifles. The Lisbon Naval Arsenal is being expanded. The last destroyer being built is completed and enters the fleet. The Corps of Fusiliers, the marines, continue to be trained, increasing their number to 4,000 men. They are organised into four battalions, with one each to be stationed in Lisbon, Sao Tome, Goa, and Macau. Admiral Joao do Canto e Castro replaced Amaral as naval minister. He advises against acquiring more battleships and instead wants to build a larger cruiser force that can keep Portugal connected with its colonies.
- Imperial Federation: The officers are enrolled at the Royal Aviation School, and learn to fly with the best.
- Imperial Federation: The eight Iron Duke-class (Queen Elizabeth-class) superdDreadnoughts are commissioned for service. The ships are armed with eight 15 inch guns, in the standard layout. The largest battleships ever built for the Royal Navy or any service in the world, they are top of the line warships. With the situation deteriorating in South Africa, British troops are directed to closely guard the Cape-Cairo rail line. Small fortified houses are built along the route and garrisoned by men from the South African Home Army. In Mozambique, work is begun on the connection to extend the Cape-Cairo rail line through the country as was agreed with Portugal. Meanwhile, the Lagos-Cairo line is finally completed despite several delays. The African colonies are quickly organized more fully, and mineral exploitation continues at break-neck pace. Military districts are established across the colonies, each able to raise African conscripts when necessary. India begins to truly industrialize and urbanize, fed by cheap steel from Australia and investment from England. An Imperial Arsenal is opened in the country and begins producing Lee-Enfields and Vickers HMGs. The country’s administration adopts policies to reduce the British footprint in government. Lower-level positions are opened to Indians educated in European Schools, and the average Indian deals only with Indian officials. However, the higher level decisions are made by British governors. The work on the Tracked Universal Transport and Carrier proves fruitful and the first units role off the assembly line this year. With a top speed of 3kph, the vehicles are by no means breaking any speed records, but they can carry up to 2.5 tons or drag a 6" gun across nearly any terrain. Frontal armor of 10mm gives them the ability to resist any small arms and even some smaller cannons. A machine-gun mount for a Vickers HMG is included to give the four-man crew a fighting chance to defend themselves from enemy infantry. An order for 50 is placed by the IEF and another order for 200 by the Home Army. Several smaller orders for the British Indian Army and African Military Districts bring the overall order to 325 units by 1917. The Universal Entrenchment Tool is introduced, a straight-bladed mattock designed for use in both entrenching and in hand-to-hand combat. On the home front, the Women’s Suffrage Movement gains traction in the English and Australian Parliaments. Both pass laws enfranchising women, prompting Westminster to do the same. This forces other Parliaments to adopt women’s suffrage legislation.
- Kingdom of Denmark: The entire kingdom celebrates joyfully upon the crowning of King Rodby. Amidst the celebratory mood, King Rodby vows to protect Danish sovereignty and restore Denmark to the status of a regional power. The King pushes through parliament several bills intending to stimulate trade and industry at the expense of Denmark's traditionally pastoral economy. The King also introduces legislation designed to rapidly expand and modernize the military. Conscription is introduced and the government begins constructing military bases designed to train the conscripts. A national military academy is established to help train officers. However, the King's efforts are stymied by the lack of trained and experienced military officers to teach at the academy or train the conscripts. Additionally the economy is not yet strong or industrialized enough to produce weapons and equipment for the burgeoning army. To that end, a diplomatic mission is sent to England requesting a trade deal for military equipment and weapons. The mission also requests Imperial Federation Officers be sent to help train the new army. (Imperial Response)
- Imperial Federation: We agree to supply Denmark with military equipment and officers to assist in the training of a professional military.
- Kingdom of Greece: Although tensions had died down, the increased scrutiny in the new system has warranted an evaluation of the defensive capabilities of the Kingdom. Defensive fortifications and positions around Greece are modified, added, and/or reinforced, this includes defenses along Greek Anatolia and along the Turkish border. There is also a plan to increase the limit of military reserves to 200,000 men and the active standing army to 100,000 men by 1917 to 1918 via recruitment campaigns as they are concerned with the increase in global tensions lately. By this time, the Lee-Enfield had already finished transferring to Greece and it has been fully transitioned to become the standard infantry rifle in an equipment update. Greece looks forward to producing their own model of rifles based on the models of others such as the Lee-Enfield some time. But by this time, Greece is looking forward to purchase equipment from other nations. By this time, the first modern Greek intelligence agency for Greece was established as things went more into scrutiny, linked as a branch (Information Department) with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to prevent or reduce future internal unrest since the Military League coup (and the need for stronger counterespionage/espionage against other nations that threaten national security). A plan is established for this to become a separate agency altogether within ten years after several evaluations and adjustments. (possibly more added later).
- Kingdom of Italy: The marine is given a larger focus on the new torpedo technology and submarines. The fortification program with Dutch support on Sumatra continues, especially along the strait of Malacca to minimize piracy in the region. Militarism is widely common in Italian society. The modernization efforts affect the colonies of Carthage and Mali as well, including all ports used by the Italian Navy. As ships become larger, harbors are often enlarged as well to have a larger capacity. Three dreadnoughts are finished and ready for combat in December, four destroyers are still in the process of being built. The industrialists are given lower taxes if they invest into a more modernized form of production, the same goes for farmers if they use modern farming methods. Fiji becomes more and more of a criminal colony, where not only poor immigrants often end up doing the hard work on the fishing boats or sugar fields, but also criminals that are given the choice of exile work there. Increased trade with Turkey is generally accepted. However, to maintain the good relations with Greece the free trade agreement is put on ice for now. The influence over the Zhejiang region is extended by extending the lands for Italian businesses, who invest especially into the locally very important textile industry. SECRET The first working planes are produced by Alfa Romeo, another automobile producer. They are combined with another new invention, namely dynamite. The army staff sees potential in the new technology, and its experimented that the pilot could fly low over the battlefield while throwing out dynamite or even grenades. These ideas are scrapped early on, as the planes are not as maneuverable as hoped. SECRET END A series of new weapons are introduced to the army, most notably a series of new machine and submachine guns. The light FIAT Rivello Modello 1915, commonly known as the Villar Perosa. The gun has a 1,200 rounds-per-minute fire ratio and a 9x19 mm caliber and is designed to fit the special needs of the Alpini corps in Savoy and south Tyrol. The other is the way less mobile and heavier Barretta Modello 15, an early submachine gun that admittedly needs more time to eradicate the early infantile disorders. A new semi-automatic 9 mm short caliber service pistol is introduced as well. The gun is produced by Baretta, the model is called the Baretta Pistolo ‘15. The Carcano Modello 1891 is updated as well, adjusted for larger distances and easier production. However, the round-nosed bullets in the 6.5 mm caliber are replaced by pointed heads, to guarantee a more stable shot. A large wave of young men signing up occurs once again, where to the already large 850,000 (including reservists) is complemented by over 190,000 new signups who go into basic training.
- La Plata: A new notable business is opened this year. It is a surprising development although a welcome one. A young entrepeneur Ronaldo Arevattio, a promising immigrant and naturalized citizen of La Plata, opens a small but promising automotive plant. So far only a few of these automobiles are built - almost as a curiosity to the wealthy in La Plata - but one of the country's economic ministers is able to secure a series of government subsidies and proper government investment into the industry. President Urquiza deals with another protest this year, this time a series of separatist protests in Santa Catarina. The Guardia Nationale is deployed to keep the peace and the protest turns violent due to the highly militant nature of the protesters in the state. However, with a series of arrests, and public support most notably in Rio Grande and Uruguay being in favor of staying a part of the Federation, the protests fizzle out after a few months. This prompts some further investment into Santa Catarina precisely noting that the cities and towns of the state have a higher percentage of unemployement than pretty much every other state in the country. The Notable development or reopening of a series of coal mines in Rio Grande do Sul puts Steel on the map for Santa Catarine and the first Steel mill is opened in the capital of Florianopolis. Concentrated efforts are taken to decrease unemployment. In the rest of the country the development of the industrial base continues with Shipbuilding, steel, machine parts, oil and some other medium industry developing at a quickening pace with even some medium and smaller cities gaining factories. The army refined its concept of the Semi-automatic rifle putting together the FNA-1915 a much less complicated and less stubborn weapon which is extremely superior to the previous iteration of the Semi-automatic rifle. Machine guns continues to enter service as well. More warships enter service as well with the addition of the new cruisers and destroyers being met with the expansion of naval bases in the country as well. The City of Rio Grande in Tierra del Fuego sees development into a naval base and Buenos Aires and Puerto Alegre undergo expansions of their own naval facilities. The dreadnoughts continue their construction with the Rio De la Plata and the Impresa expecting completion in 1916. In order to facilitate the development of a much more intenational banking sector specifically in Buenos Aires, the city is turned into a low tax zone for banking to foster growth and development of the sector. The Immigration and population growth continues with the population of La Plata reaching 14.2 million this year with immigration sitting at a manageable 175,000 this year. Export growth continues with some serious purchases of steel occuring between Venezuela and Colombia from Platinean steel firms. Platinean investors manage to secure a serious chunk of stock in a multitude of Brazilian rubber companies. La Plata also begins improving relations heavily with the compliant regime in Rio established during the great war.
- The Russian Empire: The Russian armed forces, seeing the technology and how it affected the world already, begin to triple the funding of the "Imperial Russian Air Force" with better structure and roles being introduced. The Russian government accepting that if they want good planes they have to get a lot of them from foreign countries such as The Imperial Federation, United States of America, Kingdom of France. The Russian government sending requests to buy planes and help design and create a better aeroplane industry (British reponse), (American response), (French response). While with the tensions growing in Europe, 500,000 troops in Anatolia and 50,000 in East Thrace. As part of the "Palaiologian Wall" the Russian government begins to instruct people near the border to make sure they have enough food and basement, Russian government offering to also buy houses near the border so those who which can move. These houses being bought for their original value plus 25 percent if they join the army as a bonus, as the Russian government fears that those near the front might become casualties of war. While with the onlook of war closer the Russian government look into aquiring new more modern arms with the new Lewis gun M1911, the Madsen gun and the Fedorov avtomat. (American response), (Danish response). While the Fedorov is seen as a good but not too complex and expensive too produce in large numbers. Even with the cons of the Fedorov avtomat the Russian Government order 500 of this gun for trial and for use of the Imperial Guard to defend the tsar and his institutions as this gun is due to astetics liked for these roles, which naturaly is due to the higher then average rate of fire it being 350/400 R/min. The Royal industry incentive proves successful year after year, with the higher middle-class begining to invest in Russian industry. The tsar even pushing for a decree that would force the homeless and poor to work for Russian owned factories to produce arms for a minimal salary but state provided housing and food.
- Kingdom of Denmark: The Kingdom of Denmark must respectfully decline the Russian Empire's request for a trade deal of Madsen guns for the sole reason that the Danish military infrastructure is not yet strong enough to begin making enough Madsen guns to trade. The few guns being produced are reserved for the Danish Royal Armed Forces. The Kingdom, however, does extend a Treaty of Peace and Friendship to the Russian Empire, along with a promise to give Russia priority status when enough Madsen guns become available for trade with other nations.
- Russian Diplomacy: Our army does ask if the Madsen DISA company would allow a license to Russian companies or if they would allow the Madsen company to set up a factory in Russia.
- Danish Diplomacy: The Kingdom of Denmark would be amenable to the idea of the Madsen company establishing a factory in Russia. A group of several Madsen factory supervisors will be sent to Russia to oversee and run the project. The Kingdom of Denmark asks if Russia would be open to the Treaty of Peace and Friendship Denmark earlier proposed? The treaty is not a formal alliance but merely a declaration of goodwill and friendship between Denmark and Russia.
- Yugoslavia: We also are going take our Serbian river island of Ada Ciganlija and claim as a province and making a bridge route.
]The Bulgarian Delegation to the Parliament of Yugoslavia petitions King Peter to enforce Bulgaria's previous claims to Dobruja in Romania and West Thrace and Macedonia in Greece.
Korea begins to actively resist Japanese domination of Asia.
In Munich, German automobile company BMW (Die Bayerischen Motoren Werke) is founded.
Oxycodone, a narcotic painkiller closely related to codeine is first synthesized in Germany.
- Kingdom of Portugal: The two naval lieutenants sent to Britain are still training to fly aircraft, and report back that they are having success. Plans are being considered to buy a license to reproduce British or other foreign models of flying boats in Portuguese factories. Due to the growth of the Legiao Portuguesa in recent years, the King and War Minister Manueal Gomes da Costa decide to reform the country's internal security organs to bring it fully under government control. The paramilitary elements of the Legion are merged with the ancient Municipal Guard, a kind of gendarmerie that is responsible for security in rural areas, and the recently established militia-reserve structure of the Portuguese Army to create a new Guarda Nacional. The combined National Guard will both act as a reserve force as well as a public and state security gendarmerie that can be used for policing and assisting the land forces in times of war. They will follow the existing structure of the militia and the former Municipal Guard. The Portuguese Army restricts the amount of native troops that can be raised by colonial governors. Admiral Canto e Castro decides to expand the Portuguese Navy's cruiser force. The current seven cruisers in the fleet include four older models — Dom Carlos I, Sao Gabriel, Sao Rafael, Rainha Dona Amelia — and three more modern ships purchased from Britain. The admiral plans to construct another five cruisers over the next several years based on the Rainha Dona Amelia. These will be light cruisers intended for colonial service and will be constructed Arsenal de Marinha de Lisboa. He also believes that the Admiral and Royal Sovereign class battleships will be sufficient to provide the Portuguese fleet with heavier firepower for the time being. The expansion of the Lisbon Naval Arsenal continues so that it can be used for larger ships. More funding is also given the education, more schools continue to be opened in the metropole and in the overseas colonies. Economic development in Portugal and the empire continues to increase, with more trade and more activity going on in both Portugal as well as the colonial territories.
- United States: All eyes begin to turn to Roosevelt as he begins another run for the presidency. A coalition of business democrats, meanwhile, forms in Congress and the Senate. These are mainly composed of lobbyists and the typical swamp of DC politics. More US dreadnoughts are launched such as the USS Arizona and the USS Pennsylvania. President Roosevelt knows for sure that war is bound to break out in Europe, and he wants the US ready for intervention. In Georgia, Colonel Patton begins to crack down even more on the Klan, voter registration booths become Federally protected, arrests are made, and black congregations have Federal Troops stationed outside. General Pershing, meanwhile, travels down south on a tour of the Mexican territories. An offer is sent out to the Imperial Federation to begin Joint naval war games in North Atlantic to both prepare for war together and to train our pretty green navies in gunnery and tactical skill (British Response). The Battle of Columbus, bandits from the territory of Sonora raid Columbus, New Mexico. Pershing is forced to retreat into the states. Lieutenant General Douglas MacArthur is sent out with 5,000 men to take down these raiders, and a manhunt from California to the new 1906 Mexican border begins. In the decade anniversary of the Second Mexican War, it is decided after the ten years of economic recovery, to begin the Mexican military recover. Once again under General Wood, US trainers along with US weapons make their way south to Mexico. The new Mexican uniform is based on the US Army uniform except it is a tan Khaki. The Mexican army will use the standard 1889 .38 Special revolver as a handgun, and the 1901 Springfield for a service rifle. We offer to sell the Russians 10,000 Lewis guns, and offer to license the 1911 (Vinny respond). The American Union against Militarism is formed in response to President Roosevelt’s “Preparedness” policy. The Original Dixieland Jazz Band starts playing in Chicago. The Boeing Aero Company begins. President Roosevelt wins another term as president. The Everett Massacre, in Washington a battle goes down between police and IWW members. Police use Winchester Model 8 semi-automatic rifles to great affect. The woman Ruth Law flies 590 miles from Chicago to New York on one contiguous flight. With the pioneering US aviation industry and the substantial fleets of German and British airplanes, a contest is throw in to who can produce an American fighter plane. Vought wins, and is contracted to build 200 of their prototype fighter/recon aircraft which is dubbed the F-7 Bluebird (OTL VE-7 Bluebird). 5,000 US marines are sent to restore order in the Dominican Republic as the second part of the Banana Wars begins.
- The Royal Navy will attend.
- German Empire: Seeing the interests of peace in Western Europe in mind, the German Empire offers a 15-year long non-aggression pact with the French finding it to be more favorable to find means of peace especially with the rise of cooperation and less negative relations over the past years. With the Land, Sea and Air initiative well underway,
the first Gallons (alt name for tank) are constructed and tested in East Prussia.A demand is sent to Luxembourg requesting them to have a referendum over joining the German Empire or remaining independent (Mod Response). In secret, plots are set to rig the election either way and The German Military higher ups had been placed on standby to enforce annexation of the small state. 35 Tactical Medium Bomber Biplanes are constructed with 55 Ground Attack Triplanes and another 75 fighter planes and an additional 100 reconnaissance planes are ordered to be constructed for the Luftwaffe. Bergmann MG 15 machine guns and similar variants see an increase in production whilst in the Navy, expansion of the amount of Destroyers and Cruisers increase numbering 12 put under construction alongside four new dreadnoughts also planned to be constructed by 1920. A quarter of the German Navy is put into reserves seeing as there is no reason to have them active with such a large navy already. half of these ships are docked in German Mittelafrika. 40,500 men are sent into the ZAR to cutback on rebellions. Deadly Force is authorized. The Economy steadily increases and grows further with the opening of new factories across the less urban areas spawning the growth of jobs and development. Mittelafrikan road networks expand while more forest and vegetation is cleared for farming. The Kaiser Wilhelm and Bismark National Parks are established in Mittelafrika in a segment along the Kongo River and in OTL Virunga National Park and OTL Mbandanka.Kaiser Wilhelm II challenges the leader of the Danubian Federation to a duel.
- Without a period of development, a good reason (trench warfare maybe), and actual investment those don't exist. -Mod
- Danubian Federation: With Italian separatist movements growing and the situation getting worse in the South Tyrol region, the congress votes to send the military down to the region to restore law and order. We offer a population exchange with Italy, giving them the remaining Italians in South Tyrol (YCASTO RESPONSE NEEDED). The Semi-Automatic rifle continues to be promoted amongst the army, while increased funding and construction of fighter biplanes for the army and navy air services continues. Congress passes an act that grants women suffrage throughout the entire federation and allows them to run for politics office. The renovations of Vienna are completed, with a new building known as the “Palace of the Union” being the new host of the Danubian congress, and other sights like the “Museum of Imperial History,” the “Union Monument,” and the “Mural of those who have fallen.” A new flag is chosen for the federation, the colors will be black and yellow, with two horizontal black stripes at the top and bottom at the flag, with a yellow stripe in the middle. The president, with support from congress, launches a campaign to make English the Lingua Franca of the Federation, and asks the British to help us with this endeavor." (STEPH RESPONSE NEEDED).
- Italy agrees under the condition that there will be a greater autonomy for Trieste and that the purchase of Trieste can be discussed in the future.
- The Imperial Federation will assist in English adoption.
- Kingdom of France: President Boulanger celebrates his 80th birthday, holding on to power, refusing to pick an heir, staunchly believing he would be sidelined if he did. King Napoleon IV, sensing Boulanger's weakness due to his old age, takes advantage and begins asserting power for himself, backed by his resurgent royalist supporters and with the assistance of his close ally King Jaime III of Spain, tied by the marriage of their heirs and common interests in the face of the six-year-old Carlos-Louis Francisco Bourbon-Bonaparte destined to rule over both nations. Boulanger, although pissed, negotiates with him over what he believes would be in the best interests of France, a Personal Union with Spain, binding the two nations into one. However, he wishes to hold on to power for as long as he lives, thus a gradual transition is agreed by both parties, wheres Boulanger restores part of the royal estates to Napoleon IV, gradually increasing the king's power. Simultaneously both our army and navy are updated to modern standards with older ships being decommissioned and newer ones being planned to replace them, although work on them would begin after the successful conclusion of the Spanish revival programs. Same for the army as older equipment starts to be decommissioned while the procurement of new equipment shall take place after the successful conclusion of the Spanish revival programs. The Spanish revival program is well underway and is progressing very well as planned, remaining on schedule and is concluded at the end of the year. Investment in the Napoleonic line continues as the French-Swiss border is further fortified with a heavier fortifications line. Works continue elsewhere all along the Napoleonic line. We repeat our proposal of rapprochement to the German Empire, the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the Kingdom of Italy a detailed proposal offering an ambitious road map to soothe ethnic tensions sparing our poor brethren from harm while cementing peace and prosperity in the form of a conference where we would discuss on how to deal with aforementioned ethnic issues and bring long term peace and prosperity in Europe. [German Empire, Italian Kingdom, Kingdom of Netherlands Responses].
- German Response: we agree to attend said conference.
- Dutch Response: We also agree to attend the conference held in Amsterdam and the groups are all welcomed with open arms and it is seen as a major moment for the Kingdom.
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands: The best minds in the Netherlands are put to building and inventing better aircraft for the navy as well as a better way to carry them throughout the waters. Interest is put into a potential way to launch and land and refuel ships on the water. The Kingdom of the Netherlands sends a request to the British that four Dutch Naval officers take a year of lessons in the RAF in order to found the Royal Netherlands Air Corps. (British Response needed) The Forces of the Netherlands in ZAR move toward Johanesburg and prepare to attack with the 40,000-plus men the Germans have sent. Danns Vlierjans wishes to speak with the German commanders for the best way to deal with these rebels. (German Response).
- Imperial Federation: We will host the Dutch officers.
- Mod Note: The focus on naval aviation is ASB, and should be limited.
- Imperial Federation: With the French apparently German puppets, the Imperial Federation sees no alternative to a London Concordate. Japan, Russia, Portugal, the Netherlands, Persia, Denmark, and the United States are invited to join the alliance. (Mod and Player Responses) Germany’s rapid and aggressive military buildup is mirrored with 150 fighter aircraft purchased and the development of a new light bomber meant to take a tactical and close air support role. The first of the TUTCs arrive at Division Artillery Commands. Quickly nicknamed Toot-Cs (pronounced like the Tootsies Roll), the machines are generally popular with artillery troops and reduce the need for horses in the transport of artillery weapons. The Cavalry are intrigued by the potential offered by the carriers as a way to keep supplies moving with their highly mobile units. 15,000 more men are deployed to Gibraltar which by now is equipped with three batteries of eight 15" guns in Iron Duke-class battleship turrets. With the arrival of large number of German and Dutch troops to the ZAR, British troops are restricted to guarding the Cape-Cairo line. Work on the Mozambique Branch is finished in November of this year after linking up with several existing Portuguese lines. The African colonies are quickly organized more fully, and mineral exploitation continues at break-neck pace. Switzerland is offered significant military aid should their sovereignty and neutrality be violated. Furthermore, MI5 Agents in Switzerland reach out to prominent banking magnates across the country. They offer the bankers asylum and safety in the Imperial Federation if they assist MI5 with securing and evacuating Swiss gold reserves should the country fall to German, Italian, or French invasion forces. (Mod Response)
- United States: After winning reelection, President Roosevelt with the support of the Republican Party, joins the alliance.
- Portugal: Portugal agrees to join.
- Denmark: The Kingdom of Denmark will join the Concordate.
- The Kingdom Of the Netherlands: Following a long debate and discussion the Dutch will join the concordate.
- Republic of Brazil: The agrarian, oligarchic, and conservative rule of President Veneclau Bras and his Mineiro Republican Party continues as it has for some time. Although the Contestado revolt was mostly eliminated by December of last year, rebel leader Adeodato still evades capture. In February, however, he has reemerged in the town of Armanazem where he has taken control of the town hall and rallied several militias and succeeded in taking over a chunk of the region. He also begins attempting to spread contestado ideas, which are a mix of Catholicism and agrarian outrage. Intellectuals in Port Alegre and Florianopolis begin discussing these ideas as a way of strengthening Brazil and dealing with the class antagonism between the peasantry and upper class. Meanwhile, the Brazilian Workers Confederation, an anarchist-dominated labor union, continues to grow in cities around Brazil with the help of anarchist immigrants from Europe.
- Turkey: Major trade deals are brokered with the Persian State and the Rashidi Caliphate, and a military alliance is set up with Persia (via Discord). Industrialization expands. A restructuring of the current Turkish culture begins. Military defenses begin to be built as Reformist coalition leader Aktug Orbay delivers a powerful, nationalistic speach about the Greeks and Russians have caused one of the greatest ethno-political disasters in the modern era, citing millions of ethnic Turks outside of Turkey's borders being persecuted and discriminated against, as well as being killed for the basic reason of being a Turk, "I will not have any of this!". His speach garners a large support and revival of Turkish nationalism unseen since the Ottoman Caliphate. The "Bul" Model 1915 is mass produced, and the Maxim '14 is updated and adapted into the Makineli Tüfek 1917, or the MT17 (OTL MG08 with small additions). The first flamethrower to go into production is the Alev Makinesi 1916, or the Alemak-16 (similar to OTL Kleinflammenwerfer). To further turmoil, the mass-produced Jez-13 continues to secretly be moved into Greek Ionia to properly arm Turkish citizens for a full revolution for re-unification, as well as in Russian Anatolia. Kemal Atatürk's manifesto Kemalism and The New Order takes on a key role for invigorating successionists and embracing the ideology that Turkey will become a world power once more. Varying minor ethnicities are promised sovereign republics and guarentee's if they revolt, and trails leading back to the Turkish government are covered. The Turkish Army is raised to 195,000 this year. Spy networks, finally established, begin transmiting information back to the Turkish government.
- Russian Diplomacy: The Russian government informs the Turkish government that Russians have not suppressed Turks for being Turkish and if there is any process against a Turk that is merely due criminals acts like espionage, and treason and theft.
- Kingdom of Denmark: The Danish government's industrialization continues steadily. With news of the Russian government's interest in Madsen guns, the DRS Company begins investing heavily in production. A dozen new factories are established throughout Denmark. The DRS company's success inspires other businesses to venture into manufacturing and the Danish industrialization begins taking off. However, industrialization leads to polluted rivers and groundwater, which takes a heavy toll on Denmark's cattle-based economy. As older agricultural businesses begin protesting industrialization a deal is made wherein the Danish government will sponsor the creation of new farmlands in Iceland. The Danish militarization effort continues and the first round of 30,000 raw conscripts are drilled into disciplined, albeit inexperienced, soldiers by the Imperial Officers. However, with the formation of the London Concordate, the second round of conscriptions is tripled, with 90,000 young men being recruited and trained. Upon the advice of the Imperial Officers sent to aid the Danish government the Kingdom creates the Royal Danish Air Force. Due to the utter inexperience of air combat, however, the government begins selecting five high ranking officers to travel to England to begin learning air combat tactics. The Danish government also begins construction of three new dreadnoughts at Orlogsvaerftet. To gain the raw materials needed to build the ships an offer is extended to the Russian government to begin trading Madsen guns for various ores and metals (Russian Response Needed). Upon being invited to join the London Concordate, the Danish parliament is immediately divided. While older politicians warn of Denmark's previous defeat in the Second Schleswig War, younger warhawks begin calling for the return of Schleswig-Holstein. On the eve of the vote to join the Concordant, the King himself makes an appearance in the Rigsdag. The King makes a speech in which he urges the Danes to think of their brothers and sisters under German rule in the south and to return Denmark to its status of a regional power. The following day, the decision is made to join the London Concordate.
- Russian Diplomacy: Russian government accepts the deal surrounding the Madsengun factory establishment
- Danish Diplomacy: Wait - are you accepting the trade deal? We are willing to directly ship you crates of Madsen guns in exchange for iron ore.
- The Russian Empire: The Russian government officially mentions its concern surrounding the Amsterdam conference, Russian government seeing it as a pure act of aggression toward sovereign and independent nations. Belgium is the heart of Catholicism and textiles, fries and the saxophone. Andorra, the nation who has two princes, only nation with Catalan as its own language, a nation who has stood hard on their way of governing and who has never betrayed it's ideals, and Switserland the land of Liberty and capital gain, of mountains only surpassed by the Tibetan Himalayas. The Russian government calling out on this blatant attempt to destabilise Europe, to dominate the world.While this is happening due to the tension troops are placed on the "Petrine Line" troops are mobilised, a total of 750,000 troops with 250,000 coming from the "Rurikine Guard" where the border is still heavly fortified with trenches and bunkers. Trenches with enough toilets and basic wooden floor, although this wood is mostly wood not able to be used for other reasons Which still offers confort enought for soldiers, even if the Russian Army staff is looking into ways to cheapen uniforms without loss of quality, one way being using the plastic called Bakelite for items of metal like buttons on the uniforms of men. While puttees are seen as form to use less leather, and the army looking into stopping to supply soldiers with swords. Soldiers - mostly cavalry who still want them needing to buy themselves, the sword being replaced in the regular army. The Serbian Opanak is being looked into as a shoe for reserves combined with basic puttees and cloth around the feet. For hand weapons, as seen with the war in the desert in Arabia and in Asia, the MPL-50 field spade being chosen as the tool of choice and some in the army officers mostly of Anatolia, looking into sharpening the tool to use instead of a dagger. Due to Turks, the Russian Army puts up the army of Eastern Thrace to 100,000 soldiers but keeping the same amount of troops on Anatolia in total 500,000 in Anatolia and 600,000 Russians over the whole Turkish border. the Russian army getting a new toy if needed called chemical gas, as even though the army is against its use it does see it as a needed weapon in time of need. The Russian Army does begin to supply basic gasmasks and even instructions with pictograms on how to make your basic ones for if you cannot get yours supplied in time."Imperial Russian Air Force" is expanded more and more, Jan Nagórski becoming a famous Russian aviator who can finally go to Turkey. Russian Air Force buying mostly American and British models (British Response) (American response) although most of the models are basic they do their duty. Due to the tensions, we reach out to the Rashidi Caliphate for a full military alliance. As the bond between the Arabs is ever stronger going since the Arab revolt against the Turks and the Russian aid with it, combined with the Franco-Arab war where Russian Muslims helped the rebuilding of their holy cities - a friendship that is cemented in the Abrahamic faiths they follow. (Mod Response)
Seeing French and German attitudes toward Belgium, Switzerland completes a long-term military reorganization and fortification program this year. With the Conference of Amsterdam, Switzerland declares a state of national emergency. The army is fully mobilized with 500,000 soldiers manning the country's many strategic fortresses, Swiss conscription officers go so far as to recall the Swiss Guard from the Vatican in an effort to maximize troop numbers. Threatened by almost all sides, the Swiss government breaks their long standing tradition of neutrality by requesting Austrian and British protection and guaranteeing Switzerland’s independence.
Luxembourg discovers the rigging and cancels the referendum and requests british protection.
- Republic of Brazil: As the Contestado War flairs up again and the rebels regain a foothold in the southermost areas of Brazil, trouble begins brewing in urban areas across the nation. In response to austerity measures by the oligarchic government as well as the repression of trade unions and workers in general, the Brazilian Workers Confederation has launched a general strike, primarily spearheaded by anarcho-syndicalists. The military, previously concentrated on the Contestados, finds itself overstretched as it tries to aid local state guards in breaking the strike. Astrojildo Pereira, a prominent syndicalist leader, has called for an alliance with the Brazilian peasantry in order to destroy the power of the oligarchs, who lord over both the workers and peasants. Trade unions quickly turn into factory councils as workers sieze control of the means of production and establish their own proto-government structure. The military response to the strikes has proved counter-productive and has only shifted the public's sympathy toward the strikers. President Veneclau Bras, as he is backed by wealthy elites from his home state of Minas Gerais, refuses to implement any reforms and maintains a steadfast conservative attitude. In southern Brazil, Contestados and socialists find themselves allied and mixing together, resulting in some to synthesize a form of christian socialism that takes from both movements. Russian immigrants associated with the Tolstoyan movement also aid to this ideology's development, which is finally emphasized by several pamphlets posted by a newly formed militia of former contestados and anarchists.
- La Platan Dip: President Veneclau is advised to remain Compliant within the end of war terms set out by the Treaty of Rio. Should the situation get out of hand, the Platinean troops will prevent further upheavals of government and maintain the stability of the current government.
- Just a note here Brazil player, La Plata put in a compliant president to keep the country from falling apart at the end of the war.
- Kingdom of France: Imperial Federation accusations of being a German puppet are considered ludicrous and are completely ignored, their pretenses for increased aggression/hostility are made fun of. Switzerland's hostility has not gone unanswered, issuing an embargo on them, completely cutting off any relations and blocking any transactions with them. We refuse to participate in this foolishness thus refrain from deploying troops near our borders with Switzerland for now. The gradual transition of restoring Napoleon IV's power continues, with further parts of the royal estate being restored to him, while the king's power continues to gradually increase. Jaime III and Caroline Joséphine Bonaparte have another issue this year, a healthy boy. He is baptised as Juan Louis Bourbon-Bonaparte. Simultaneously both our army and navy are updated to modern standards with older ships being decommissioned and newer ones being planned to replace them, although work on them would begin after the successful conclusion of the Spanish revival programs. Same for the army as older equipment starts to be decommissioned while new equipment. is being procured. Investment in the Napoleonic line continues as the French-Swiss border is further fortified with a heavier fortifications line. Works continue elsewhere all along the Napoleonic line. Increasing and persistent pressure is exerted on Belgium, Andorra and Switzerland, along with the threat of military intervention and the deployment of 250,000 troops to the Belgian borders and 25,000 troops to the Andorran borders, to adibe by the provisions of the Amsterdam Conference and host referendums determine our borders based on the principles of self-determination. National Revanche Party - Wallonia Region is heavily founded to create chaos to force the central government into allowing the referendums to take place. [Mod Responses].
- Kingdom of Portugal: A Fleet Review is held in Lisbon to celebrate the 600th anniversary of the founding of the Portuguese Navy, making it the oldest continuously serving navy in the world. King Carlos, Prince Royal Luis Felipe, Prince Manuel (a naval officer himself), and Prime Minister Joao Franco are in attendance, along with many other officials as the harbor at Lisbon is full of warships, including six pre-dreadnought battleships, seven cruisers, 15 destroyers, one submarine, 20 torpedo boats and numerous smaller auxiliary vessels. The King announces the purchase of five new cruisers and three submarines and that his reign will be remembered for restoring Portugal's proud ancient tradition as a seafaring nation. The new National Guard is also set up under the command of the general Sidonio Pais and it is believed by the general staff that it will improve both the speed and effectiveness of mobilisation as well as public security. This reform was taken also in time for the rising tensions across Europe. With this in mind, the number of conscripts that enter the service this year is expanded and currently the armed forces total strength is 108,000 men. Lieutenants Cabral and Caseiro, the two pilots, return from Britain and on the War Minister's order established the Servico da Aeronautica Naval (Naval Aeronautical Service). A hydroplane station was built in October 1917 by the Lisbon docks, and in December the first aircraft were delivered from Portuguese factories — three model FBA flying boats, making it Portugal's first military aircraft. Shortly after that the Portuguese Army's Servico Aeronautico Militar (Military Aeronautics Service) is also created. More aircraft are on the way. The Military Aeronautics School, for both army and navy pilots, is also established. The Lisbon Naval Arsenal's first stage of expansion is complete, and the newly ordered aforementioned warships are being built. Portugal continues to see economic growth, including the homeland itself. The colonies are experiencing economic development, especially as the railway connecting Mozambique to the Cape-Cairo main line is complete, increasing trade even further. Macau and Timor see a small boom in the export of agricultural goods, mainly fish and fruits. The National Mining Corporation continues to see record growth in the production of diamonds, iron ore, and other metals. Much of the new revenue from this activity goes to either the military, infrastructure to continue expanding railways, or the education budget, as new schools are being opened throughout the homeland and colonies to improve the people's literacy rate. The Portuguese government also records an increase in the number of births in the country. In parliament, there isn't much of a debate on the question of joining the London Concordate, as the National Union strongly supported the pro-British policies as Portugal has been Britain's ancient ally and it relies on Britain for some security. The Portuguese Republican Party has more isolationist tendencies and criticizes the government for getting Portugal involved, nonetheless most of the public is either supportive or indifferent to joining the alliance.
- Just a note here if the war ends with a Franco-Spanish-German victory you'd be annexed into Spain. ~Bear
- Turkey: Industrialization expands. A restructuring of the current Turkish culture begins. Military defenses begin to be built as Reformist coalition leader Aktug Orbay delivers a powerful, nationalistic speach about the Greeks and Russians have caused one of the greatest ethno-political disasters in the modern era, citing millions of ethnic Turks outside of Turkey's borders being persecuted and discriminated against, as well as being killed for the basic reason of being a Turk, "I will not have any of this!". His speach garners a large support and revival of Turkish nationalism unseen since the Ottoman Caliphate. The "Bul" Model 1915 is mass produced, and the Maxim '14 is updated and adapted into the Makineli Tüfek 1917, or the MT17 (OTL MG08 with small additions). The first flamethrower to go into production is the Alev Makinesi 1916, or the Alemak-16 (similar to OTL Kleinflammenwerfer). To further turmoil, the mass-produced Jez-13 continues to secretly be moved into Greek Ionia to properly arm Turkish citizens for a full revolution for re-unification, as well as in Russian Anatolia. Kemal Atatürk's manifesto Kemalism and The New Order takes on a key role for invigorating successionists and embracing the ideology that Turkey will become a world power once more. Varying minor ethnicities are promised sovereign republics and guarantees if they revolt, and trails leading back to the Turkish government are covered. The Turkish Army is raised to 215,000. This year. With espionage, knowledge of how many troops are on the Russo-Turkish border becomes apparent, and as such, more defenses are built while Turkish spies posing as Russian soldiers begin acts of demoralization and "accidental" sabotage. Information on the Russian's plan to get an alliance transmits to the government, and a diplomatic meeting between the Reformist coalition leader Aktug Orbay and the current Caliph is ordered (Mod), so as to end any major differences, past histories, and pursue neutrality for the Caliphate, as well as to show that the Caliphate aligning with an Orthodox power is against God, as the Orthodox and Catholic churches has tried numerous times to invade and conquer the Caliphate.
- La Plata: The country of La Plata celebrates the christening of its grand fleet this year. With the launching of its two new dreadnoughts last year and its new battlecruiser this year the fleet stands as the single largest navy in South America. With three dreadnoughts, five heavy cruisers, seven light cruisers, one battlecruiser, and 35 destroyers the nation has managed to effectively bring itself a moderate but highly modern navy. This year ten new destroyers are laid down with plans for most to be done early next year. Shipbuilding continues in earnest as this industry begins to take off with only Buenos Aires and Puerto Alegre still in the competition for La Plata's largest shibuilding city. The low taxes on the banking sector in Buenos Aires continue to promote the city as a growing financial center. The Heavy industries of the country also continue to grow as steel, machine parts, and oil are now in full swing. The eight-year uptick in the economy is met with a modest slowing in growth as the country is forced to re-evaluate its position and begin some serious transitions to fit in with global markets. This was expected and planned for so the threat to the overall country is minimal but growth is expected to slow down for the next two years in regards to this. The army is once again scaled up with another 50,000 volunteers allowed to expand the ranks. With 400,000 in the field, this is noted to be a serious standing peace time army and a testament to the new abilities of La Plata as a country. The settlement of the southern states continues as Neuquen and various other smaller settlements in southern patagonia expanding in thanks to favorable government policy and immigration. The assimilation of the northern states begins to take precedence as the region speaks a mish mash of Portuguese, Creole, and Spanish. This is somewhat addressed by the public schooling system in place but some promotions are done to at the very least promote Platinean Spanish as the second language to many in the states. This is somewhat addressed as well by many immigrants taking to Spanish specifically to speed up their own integration into society. The growth of the local economies of Rio Grande do Sul, Uruguay, and Santa Catarina finally pacifies the former Brazilian states which begin to finally show the fruits of government development and investment. A crucial flip in the local politics in Rio Grande itself sees those who support the Platinean government in the clear majority which is a far cry from the seperatist attitude that was held when part of Brazil. This seems to stem from the de-segregation, and women's suffrage in the region which brings many people outright into the camp of supporting the Federal government in Buenos Aires. La Platan Army units personally handle Reparations payments this year from Brazil attempting to guard these payments from the wave of unrest which has wracked Brazil. Immigration this year is still seen as a notable factor in population growth as the tensions in Europe and many trying to leave Asia on top of a lack of immigration control. Upward of 400,000 people come this year with a large chunk of them comming from Japan and China on top of Spain and Italy. The population as a result of this immigration and natural growth exclipses 15 million this year and advancing rapidly as the population is able to expand rapidly due to the onset of major industrialization, immigration, and high wages. The country, having re-elected President Urquiza on a platform of improving working conditions, takes this to heart and begins a heavy push in Congress to handle this. He is backed by the more on the ground senators while those sitting on the conservative and rich side attempt to block legislation. However, with the inability of the conservative senators to cope with the industrial process, many begin losing electorate in mass numbers which puts many more liberal and reform candidates on the board. In order to combat the growing presence of more socialist trade unions The president and his cabinet tackle this head on promoting non-socialist unions, and the governments recent reforms to disenfranchise some of the growing socialist movements. As is standard with a recession government spending is lowered but due to the nature of the recession being centered around restructuring, and increasing efficiency rather than due to a serious financial, political, or social crisis this is more necessarily centered around letting the economy run its natural course as the country pivots toward a more export driven economy. Many of this restructuring stems from the slew of labor reforms which have come across the country as a result of Urquizas victory in the 1916 election. So the implementation of these labor standards was expected to cause be a main driver of the small recession. In order to more thoroughly solidify borders with Brazil and reaffirm La Platas new borders as "Permanent" as it was described in a congressional meeting, a series of forts are commissioned on border with Brazil with plans for a dense network of trenches to run in between these forts and effectively make the clear border crossings the only way of entry by land between Brazil and La Plata.
- Kingdom of Greece: The words of Aktug Orbay of Turkey's speech has reached the ears of the authority of Greece. Fortunately, Greece had been expecting a revivalist Turkey for many years, since the second Ottoman War. Determining the speech to be a threat and the official mark of the souring of public relations between Turkey and Greece, the recruitment in Greek army was extended to a total goal of 250,000 men from 200,000 that was raised earlier. The Greek army mobilized 50,000 men to add to its existing 100,000 and the Turkish border was reinforced with a total of 100,000 men. Seeing the rise of air forces in other countries in Europe, Greece moves to create a Hellenic Air force called the Hellenic Aviation Service. Greece is currently looking into any possible experts in aviation and the purchase of designs for planes. Meanwhile, several factories in Greece are ordered to start designing and to start a build up in arms. Ports in Greece are also managed to be prepared to start a build up of ships. Although, fearing the speech would enable or be a sign of Turkish sympathizers in Greece, the national intelligence agency of Greece (publicly known as the Information Department) begins to comb through Greek Anatolia for any sympathizers, to affirm/evaluate their loyalties, and to determine if there is a connection if anything (such as weapons) is uncovered (MOD EVENT?). (more maybe soon)
- French Dip: We offer some of our best designs and the assistance of our experts, being one of the first nations that have adopted the aviation.
- Greek Dip: Sure, we guess? Help is help, regardless.
- Kingdom of Italy: The marine is given a larger focus on the new torpedo technology and submarines. The fortification program with Dutch support on Sumatra continues, especially along the strait of Malacca to minimize piracy in the region. Militarism is widely common in Italian society. With more and more tendencies that could lead to a war in Europe, the Colonial forces in North Africa are enforced by 50,000 men who either signed up or are taken from the police forces. The colonial forces in Africa make up now a total of 100,000 men in Carthage and 15,000 in Mali. In Indonesia a force of 20,000 is put in training, with some fortifications along the border to the Dutch colonies. 4 destroyers are still in process of being build. The industrialists are given lower taxes if they invest into a more modernized form of production, the same goes for farmers if they use modern farming methods. In Fiji, a large military garrison of 1000 men is set up, all of them are marine infanterists. A few coastal fortifications are set up, but those are fairly minor. The influence over the Zhejiang region is extended by extending the lands for Italian businesses, who invest especially into the locally very important textile industry. SECRET The first working planes are produced by Alfa Romeo, another automobile producer. They are combined with another new invention, namely dynamite. The army staff sees potential in the new technology, and its experimented that the pilot could fly low over the battlefield while throwing out dynamite or even grenades. These ideas need further development, as the planes are not as maneuverable as hoped. SECRET END The liberal party reaches a point of near collapse, where the conservative party rises once again, replacing the Liberal hegemony and ending the Liberali era. The very conservative and highly nationalistic leader of the movement, a certain Giovanni Gentile is becoming a controversial figure and is seen by many journalist as a direct arch enemy of Benito Mussolini, who has been a popular and very radical figurehead in the Italian labour movement. Gentile on the other hand is trying to gain sympathy in the middle and upper class, as well as the rural Catholic population. He is a strong advocate for the splitting of Switzerland, and to reconquer the areas of South Tyrol and Trieste, while calling on the perfect morals that a nationalistic leadership of a nation needs. A large wave of nationalism occurs as a result of Gentile’s ideals he calls “fascismo”, Fascism, especially among middle and upper class conservatives and intellectual right-wingers. However, his sympathy for the Catholic population can be seen as opportunistic activism, as he largely dismisses religious influence within the state. A major split occurs in the Unione Repubblicana e Socialista, where on the 1917 Party convention the “Riformatori” who support a parliamentary system without a marxist party platform, and the “la Maggioranza” faction, Revolutionaries who still participate in the elections, but have the classless society and marxist teachings still as their goal in their programs. The split is largely dominated by three quarters following the URS-M, while only a good quarter remain in the URS-R. However, the party will still cooperate in an uneasy truce at any election and on questions that require non-parliamentary action, like organizing strikes and helping unions to agitate (even though a vast majority of the Italian working and peasant class is already unionized in some form). The Swiss hostility and the plans to partition the state are put on ice for now, as a war in such mountainous terrain with a hostile population might end as a disaster of unknown measures.
- United States: The situation in Brazil is getting concerning for President Roosevelt. 5,000 marines are sent to the Guiana Territory and are backed up by a dreadnaught. The USS New Mexico, Mississippi, and Idaho are launched and commissioned. In the War Department, Lieutenant General William "Billy" Mitchell speaks up and advocates for an increased size of the air forces. After making some convincing arguments Billy gets his air force. The United States Army Air Corps is commissioned. With that Martin is requested to begin construction of the B-1, a sort of Americanized copy of European bombers. Quinten Roosevelt joins the USAAC with encouragement form his father, the President. John Browning also starts a personal project, to design his own light machine gun that has more firepower than the M1914 Lewis gun. Inspired by the civil war, the M17 pineapple grenade is adopted and given to troops armed with the M1907 semi-auto. A series of new artillery pieces of created for 75mm, 105mm, and 155mm. Walter Christie pitches a new armored car to the cavalry. The Christie Prototype includes a the spot for an experimental 37mm cannon but for now sits a M1914B machine gun. With six road wheels the car is almost an armored truck. Ford is also contracted to produce 10,000 Ford trucks for the army.
- Yugoslavia: We are also going to take a small part of the island of Vukovar due to our power party border. We request for our volunteers to be allowed to assist Greece against the Turks if a war breaks out. (PLAYER REPONSE)
- Greek Dip: Sure.
- Imperial Federation: Luxembourg and Switzerland’s plea for aid does not fall on deaf ears in London, and a Guarantee of Independence is offered to both. Seeing the Amsterdam Conference concluded and the demands rejected by Belgium, Belgium is asked if it would accept an Imperial Expeditionary Force detachment to safeguard its borders and reinforce its military. (Mod Response) As part of the London Concordate, Denmark is offered a similar arrangement. (Danish Response) The British Indian Army is partially mobilized and distributed to ports across the country. The borders with German port cities are reinforced. The Army Cavalry Command begins looking into modifying TUTCs for more aggressive cavalry use after concept trials show that they could be a powerful offensive weapon under the right circumstances. The proposal adds a roof to the vehicles with a rotating gun-shield mounting a heavy machine gun, something the cavalry usually lacks. However, the slow speed of the vehicles is problematic and at least another year of development will be needed. By the end of the year, a prototype Cavalry Tracked Universal Transport and Carrier is ready, the vehicle is significantly faster than the TUTCs but lacks the torque to pull a heavy artillery piece or traverse poor terrain. TheLondon Concordate invitation remains open to the Netherlands and Greece. (Mod and Player Responses)
- Greek Dip: We'd be happy to attend. For now we would like to have observer status, if that is possible.
- Netherlands Dip: We also attend following a vigorous debate in Parliament.
- Denmark Dip: The Danish government would be happy to accept an Imperial detachment to supplement its defense of "The New Danevirke" (see Danish events below.)
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands: Following the ending of the Mau Mau rebellion the forces are recalled and all forts and coastal battteries are fully manned with artillery being added to the fortifications and the first Dutch planes will begin to roll out of factories in these coming years. Research continues but no legitimate progress is made besides some basic hydroplanes and coastal defense systems. Two dreadnoughts and there escorts are allocated to each the East Indies the Mainland and the ZAR any incoming ships will be fully searched and the travel ban is being somewhat relieved however any incoming people will be fully searched and must confirm there full destination with the navy. The Netherlands declares they will not get involved on the German-French-Spain side should war break out over belgium as it would be a violation of the treaty of Anglo-Dutch cooperation of 1901.
- Danubian Federation: With Italy agreeing to a population exchange, we make preparations for the Italian population to move and hope to make it an easy, simple, and quick process.We accept the Swiss’s calls for protections and guarantee their independence, while sending a small Austrian detachment of 5,000 men to help defend them and request Germany, Italy, and France back off from France. With tensions on the continent heating up over Belgium and Switzerland the Congress orders for 150,000 men to be manned on the German-Danubian border and for fortifications to be made made as preparation.
Diplomats are sent to Liechtenstein, offering them the chance to join Austria as an autonomous entity, in exchange for protection and security. (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED)
- No need, Lichtenstein was part of Austria in OTL until after WWI
- Kingdom of Denmark: With tensions rising between the London Concordate and the Amsterdam Conference, the Danish government begins a massive construction project. From Kolding to Kongea and using the River Kongea as a natural barrier, the Danish government begins constructing a massive series of military fortifications along its border with Germany which is dubbed "The New Danevirke". Fourteen redoubts are established, and four major forts are created, armed to the teeth with 15 inch artillery guns provided by the Imperial Federation. Landmines, trenches, and barbed wire is laid out along the entirety of Denmark's border with Germany. By now Denmark's army numbers 120,000 men, and this army is used to garrison the fortifications. The conscription continues, with another 90,000 men being drafted. However the local governments protest that so many young men being drafted is taking a toll on the amount of eligible workers. As a result the traditional patriarchal work standards of Denmark begin to change, with women being allowed (and even encouraged) to begin working in factories and farms. As an effort to begin developing a national air force, five Danish officers are selected to be sent to England to learn the art of aerial combat. A request is made to the Imperial Federation to allow the Danish officers to begin training in England (IMPERIAL RESPONSE). The three dreadnoughts constructed previously near completion, and as Denmark's navy expands an offer is made to Russia to begin joint naval war games in the Baltic Sea to simulate Danish-Russian naval operations against a potentially hostile Germany (RUSSIAN RESPONSE). Additionally, with the rise of a Danish prince on the Norwegian throne, the Danish government begins considering whether or not it should declare Prince Christian Frederick Carl the new heir of the Danish kingdom. This would potentially unite Denmark and Norway into a personal union under Danish authority (MOD RESPONSE NEEDED).
- The Russian Empire: The Russian Empire seeing Turkish agression begin to move 150,000 troops from the "Rurikine Guard" to the "Palaiologian Wall" making the total amount of Russian troops 250,000 and 500,000 in annatolia. the Russian army and government due to the hostilities allowing Russian Police, and soldiers to shoot any civilian if not behaving to the likings of the local army authority, martial law being declared in Russian Thrace and Anatolia. The army and government wanting to prevent any enemy spies to enter Russia. While at the same time the Royal Industrial incentive makes the industry grow at a small but slightly bigger pase then before. The "United Mongol Armed forces," begin to aid in the defense of Russia some 25,000 coming to the Russo-Iranian broder. While at the same time a 10,000 size garison in Yemen is told to welcome any Arab who comes to Russia and to greet them all like royal that they are.During this the Russian government officialy even declares war against the turks (algo is done) and beatr them in the field at Andanna While this is happening we rally the Sorbs in the whole world to once more become aware of their nationhood, culture and history. While in Uighur khanate Khoja Niyaz after the regency of Sabit Damolla is declared Khan of all Uighurs. his crowning being the first time in modern history that a muslim khanate once more comes into existance.Tsar Kirill of Russian giving Khoja Niyaz a Symbolic Fedorov Avtomat made with the best quality wood wich has the the phrase in arabic "Long live the new Uighur state, long live his majesty Khoja" as this gun is the best of the best of the best in the world.
- Danish Dip: Did you see our proposal (see Danish events above) regarding simulated naval war games in the Baltic Sea?
In France, a group of army officers and members of the National Revanche Party, launch a coup against Boulanger and Emperor Napoleon IV due to their pro-German stances and alliance with Germany, which they see as betrayal to France and to the party’s beliefs, and denounce Boulanger as a German puppet and the Emperor as a dirty aristocrat Andy also as a German puppet. The coup soon becomes a fire fight in the streets of Paris and other cities in France. The public is very split between the 2 factions, with those who support the coup and those who are against it. The National Revanche Party is less dividend however, and votes to oust Boulanger and any of his remaining supporters from the party. France is essentially in civil war, with Charles Murras coming out on top as the leader of the Secretary-General of the National Revanche Party and the anti-Boulanger opposition.
The Austrian battleship Szent Istvan is watched from a distance by some Italian torpedo boats, the Austrian captain orders a warning shot from a 2.8in gun which splashes a little too close for Italian comfort and leads to them retreating. Steaming through the Adriatic the Szent Istvan also encounters a couple of Italian destroyers tailing a cruiser which screen the battleship causing general fear in the crew of sparking an all out war. This occurs till the might ship reaches open water near the Greek Coast to which the Italians break off.
In Yugoslavia, a group known as the Black Hand begins targeting Bulgarian politicians. A young Gavrilo Princip manages to shoot a very popular Bulgarian duke which sparks ethnic outrage in Bulgaria against the Serbs and the regime in Belgrade.
In Spain, the shambles of the democratic Monarchy is met with a military coup by Jose Sanjurjo topples the Prime Minister and a period of civil crackdown and militarization begin. The Socialists and Anarchists of Spain are routed out and exiled to Balearics, Spain's "Last Colony". In this General Sanjurjo requests a military alliance with Italy and also seeks to buy Italian arms and ammunition, for Sanjurjo plans to end Spanish humiliation.
- The Kingdom of the Netherlands: Following this crazy chain of events in France the Netherlands will not be allowing any french into the Netherlands and will not be making agreements until the civil issue is solved. As such the Dutch Fort Line "Hope" is expanded further and many of the people look to it as our only hope to survive this tension. The change in the French leaders causes the Dutch government to reevaluate its position within the world and puts itself into full Netherlands first mode. The Dutch navy is sent on training exercises and proposals are made to other powers of the London Concordate as to naval sim battles as previously proposed by the Danish. (Concordate responses needed) This would be good practice for all forces involved. The Army is ordered to garrison fort line hope in its entirety and be prepared should war occur. In the aviation realm the first planes are produced and men are trained on how to pilot them, there are a few casualties as mistakes are made however the progress is made at an impressive pace. As the planes come out and naval scouting exercises are performed interest in a way to launch them from ships to screen for the forces with being less exposed is very appealing. Imports from the ZAR are increased following the defeat of the Mau Mau. The agents in ZAR continue to spread co-racial cooperation.
- Imperial Federation: We will sponsor such a naval training.
- The Provisional Government of the State of France:With Charles Murras securing control of the National Revanche Party, Murras manages to secure the allegience of important key members of the party and of its paramilitary force, La Ligue des Revanchistes Patriotiques consstig of 190,000 having undergone a slow decline after Boulangers German friendly policies began. With Boulanger having been removed from office as leader of the Revanchists, Murras decided to establish a Provisional Government in Lyon along with other Leaders of the Coup called the Provisional Government of the State of France with Phillipe Petain, one of the couptist leaders being placed in charge of the current Elements of the French Army and Paramilitary Grous loyal to Murras organizing them into the Revanchist Army of France. Immediately, Murras sends a group of army officers headed by the young Lieutenant Charles de Gaulle to London to seek support from the London Concordate as Murras is willing to join the Americans and British. The Revanchist Army only consisting of 250,000 under the command of General Ferdinand Foch begins the task of securing the major cities of France: Lyon, Bordeaux, Marseilles, Toulon, Toulouse and Paris (Mod Response on the progress of the Offensive). With the eruption of a French Civil War, Murras promises to restore glory to France and put an end to approximately 50 years of shame after the Franco-Prussian War.
- Mod: Support for Murras is strongest in southern France, and thus Marseille, Toulon, Montpellier, Toulouse, and Bordeaux side decisively wiith the Provisional Government. Lyon and Nantes are divided with forces from both sides occupying different portions of the cities, and Paris, while divided, remains loyal to the old government.
- La Plata: With mass chaos in Europe the country is objectively forced to react condemning both the Coups in France and Spain. However with many immigrants tracing origins back to Spain and with many recent immigrants from Spain as well, President Urquiza authorizes a mass payout to bring back as many family members of the immigrants as possible as well as any else who wish to come removing some of the hurdles to go through to become citizens of the country. Much organization is put into this and nearly 150,000 Spaniards are received this year with open arms and resettled either with or near with their families or put in favorable conditions throughout the country. The Recession enters its second year as the economic and market restructuring continues to take hold throughout the country. Handling the influx of immigration this year becomes the focal point as it is a strange mixture of extremely poor running from oppression and societal collapse, and some realtively wealthy or in a few choice cases extremely wealthy immigrants. While Italian immigration remains a large chunk of this years demographic, The Spanish is the overall largest this year with more notably French citizens who were able to escape the insanity. Stability in Asia this year curbs that immigration factor. With an overall of 275,000 immigrants this year, the population reaches 15.4 million alongside natural population growth. The attraction of immigrants and populations to cities is noted as over the last 3-4 years Cities have been swamped by many looking for jobs. While the jobs are plentiful the housing is not. Buenos Aires for example has gone from 1.2 million to almost 2 million in the last 6 years. Cities such as Cordoba, Rosario, Montevideo, Buenos Aires, and Puerto Alegre undergo serious expansions to their housing and commercial districts to support the new populations expanding many of these cities from medium size to large bustling cities expanding outward and now upward. Skyscrapers are built in many of these cities with Buenos Aires leading the way needing to house its ever expanding Banking sector. With the arrival of various wealthy immigrants, specifically the ultra-rich Santiago Family from Spain and yet another extremely wealthy family from France, the Bessniers form a corporate alliance and with much of their wealth stored overseas rather than in the banks in their home countries. This alliance results in the Bessnier-Santiago bank which does extremely well its first year almost by the very virtue of the massive amount of startup capital it was able to secure via the two families. Industrial development and expansion remains stagnant this year as a result of the countries economic restructuring and the implementation of higher wages and working conditions forcing many companies to re-evaluate. While firings are common to maintain acceptable profits, the continued opening of new factories, buisinesses and other additions to the job market make this a total non issue as finding a job is noted to be "as easy as taking a nap." The advancement of La Platas first automotive plant is noted to be a successful venture as another competitor sets up shop in Salta. Automitv Nationale faces off against the newly rebranded Industrias Automiv Platinea or IAP for short. The two were originally faced with selling to the ultra rich but the development of a better road system in the country and in the cities has led to a new market. The need for an affordable car is thought up and both companies devote this years research into developing models of cars that your average middle class Platinean could afford. While both small but dynamic companies as of late, the success of these vehicles could very well propell both companies into the limelight throughout the country. The first concepts of a national highway system are considered as well and a final procurement and contract is put down for the first Metro system in the country. Naturally Buenos Aires is the first choice and construction begins (apparently this happened in OTL in 1913) and the first lines are expected to be opened within the next year with most parts of the city to be covered within 5 years. Other plans for metro systems within other cities are considered and Montevideo is chosen as the second city to receive a metro system followed by Porto Alegre and then Cordoba and Rosario. This is noted to be a project expected to take nearly a decade or more to fully cover. Other cities will be considered as they grow properly in size. The Navy adds its new destroyers to the fleet. With the majority of the countries older ships retired and scrapped only a few are left as trainers. Plans for a pacific fleet is developed as well and this year Two new Dreadnoughts of a new class are laid down. This time boasting 14 inch guns and heavier armor and a more robust engine making up for the extra weight still rivaling European counterparts. The ships are expected to be done by 1920 and the Pacific fleet is expected to contain roughly the same amount of Ships as the Atlantic fleet. The expanding military budget while taking its toll on the national budget, does have some serious benefits for the country. Studies funded by this budget are applied in everyday lives and in Science, Technological development, and better industrial and agricultural processes. These developments do drive La Plata into a solid scheme of using this budget to augment natural innovation in the country. La Plata after careful consideration and what seems to be common policy between the two powers offers to sign an alliance with the United States of America. President Urquiza is quoted saying "The only thing better than one powerful democracy in our Hemisphere, is having two with common goals and interests" The expansion of Platinean buisiness into key Brazilian sectors of buisiness see a notable growth in Brazils rubber industry under direct private investment from Platineans who have major shares in varous Brazilian rubber companies.
- United States: Sadly, the last known American parrot, the Carolina Parakeet goes extinct. Congressman Woodrow Wilson delivers his "14 Point Speech" to a session of Congress which outlines a view of US foreign policy which directly counter's President Roosevelts use of the Roosevelt Doctrine. A controversial decision to officially adopt time zones as the ability to move from place to place quicker take hold. General Motors acquires Chevrolet Motors. The Great Train Wreck of 1918 takes place with 101 killed, subsequently as the Chicago Restaurant poising's take place. The Red Sox's win another World Series. A Canadian ocean liner wrecks on a reef near Juneau, Alaska which is the greatest maritime disaster in Northwest History. Construction of Mitchells Air Corps continues. The visionary personally leads an unauthorized airshow of DC to represent the ability of the US Air Corps to the American public. Following the Christie prototype, the Army begins into the combat car program. Combat car's are beefed up armored cars with heavier armor to stand up against heavy machine guns, extra road wheels, and equipped with machine guns or a light cannon. The T1 Christie combat car comes into testing at Fort Leavenworth in Kansas. There is other competitors from Ford who use a more traditional armored car design while Chevy rolled in with an 8 wheeled abomination that featured a more train like design. The USS Tennessee is launched. Rock Island Arsenal begins developing a future 105mm artillery gun.
- Turkey: Industrialization expands. A restructuring of the current Turkish culture begins. Military defenses continue to be built, expecting to be finished by next year. The "Bul" Model 1915 is mass produced, and the Maxim '14 is updated and adapted into the Makineli Tüfek 1917, or the MT17 (OTL MG08 with small additions). The first flamethrower to go into production is the Alev Makinesi 1916, or the Alemak-16 (similar to OTL Kleinflammenwerfer). To further turmoil, the mass-produced Jez-13 continues to secretly be moved into Greek Ionia to properly arm Turkish citizens for a full revolution for re-unification, as well as in Russian Anatolia. Kemal Atatürk's manifesto Kemalism and The New Order takes on a key role for invigorating successionists and embracing the ideology that Turkey will become a world power once more. Varying minor ethnicities are promised sovereign republics and guarantees if they revolt, and military advisors are finally able to be secretly moved into these seperationists camps so as to properly strategize and plan potential state secessions. Two states currently are "established" in Russian Anatolia, being the Sovereign Republic of Sivas (SRS) and the Democratic Republic of Armenia (DRA). Sivas, being ethnically dominated by the Kurdish peoples, is noted to be the most effective state to pursue possible secession from Russian Anatolia, as secret military networks has allowed for up to 500,000 peoples to serve, including both women and children. In Armenia, a similar network is established with approximately 250,000 peoples of varying gender and age. The Turkish Army is raised to 245,000 this year, and with the declaration of war, is raised to all able-bodied men, raising to 400,000. The Sovereign Republic of Sivas declares independence from Russia, as well as the Democratic Republic of Armenia, and with their armies both exceding 500,000 and being armed with Jez-13's, this war is going to be an easy eastern front (Algo to be revised).
- Kingdom of Portugal: Given the outbreak of tensions in Europe, King Carlos orders the military on heightened readiness. He also makes secret preparations to evacuate the royal court and the entire government if necessary, to Portuguese Africa to carry on the fight in exile in the event that the homeland comes under occupation. Marshal da Costa gives the order to activate the Field Army, which consists of all fo the Portuguese Army fighting units in the homeland. Sidonio Pais also prepares that National Guard for speedy mobilisation. Chief of staff Oscar Carmona estimates that the total mobilisation will amount to 150,000 troops in metropolitan Portugal. Even as this happens, the Navy begins constructing the five new cruisers, three Rainha Dona Amelia class and two Adamastor class. The order is expected to be complete in 1922. The Far East Fleet is temporarily recalled to Europe to gather the entire navy in Portugal. In addition, the government buys six ocean liners that will be converted into auxiliary cruisers by January 1919. Furthermore a large ocean liner is purchased that will be converted into a seaplane carrier. The Portuguese factories create another seven flying boats that join the Naval Aeronautical Service at the Lisbon Naval Air Station. Five triplanes are built for the Military Aeronautical Service that supports the Army. The Portuguese Naval Infantry, about 4000 men organised in four marine battalions, are also converged at Lisbon along with the ground forces. Meanwhile, the economy continues to grow and the amount of the raw materials produced in the colonies increases.
- Kingdom of Greece: As Russia's declaration of war on Turkey of last year, Greece took note and had combed through the country of any arms, taking Russia's reports (assuming since they closed the border and therefore may find attempts to bring arms over) on the border as a warning sign. However, Greece discovered a network of arms, tracing them back to Turkey. (discord) While they are an observer state in the London Concordate and they are not tied to its rules, Greece declares they will officially join the war on Russia's side out of obligation (Russia said they're signing), citing Article 2 against Turkey: "Political Disruption due to a Foreign Actor" and Turkish attempt of disruption of peace in Greece, mobilizing 200,000 of the 250,000 troops to the border while sending 50,000 already standing Greek troops to assist Russia. Greece urges the London Concordate to take action, such as sending volunteers, against Turkey. (SECRET) Greek MPs and Law enforcement will comb across the country to disarm citizens in the name of national security, but this operation is kept secret as to not incite any alarm (END OF SECRET). 50,000 additional troops in reserve will be mobilized by next year. (More later).
- Kingdom of Italy: The marine is given a larger focus on the new torpedo technology and submarines. The fortification program with Dutch support on Sumatra continues, especially along the strait of Malacca to minimize piracy in the region. Militarism is widely common in Italian society. With more and more tendencies that could lead to a war in Europe, the Colonial forces in North Africa are enforced by 50,000 men who either signed up or are taken from the police forces. The colonial forces in Africa make up now a total of 100,000 men in Carthage and 15,000 in Mali. In Indonesia a force of 20,000 is put in training, with some fortifications along the border to the Dutch colonies. 4 destroyers are still in process of being build. The industrialists are given lower taxes if they invest into a more modernized form of production, the same goes for farmers if they use modern farming methods. In Fiji, a large military garrison of 1000 men is set up, all of them are marine infanterists. A few coastal fortifications are set up, but those are fairly minor. The influence over the Zhejiang region is extended by extending the lands for Italian businesses, who invest especially into the locally very important textile industry. These ideas need further development, as the planes are not as maneuverable as hoped.SECRET The civil war in France, though surprising, brings new options to Italian expansionism. The mostly unprotected and cut off Tripolitania region becomes the target of Italian colonial ambitions. 40,000 men and 50 artillery pieces are stationed in Tunisia and Cyreaeca, along with some smaller forces in Fezzan to prevent the french from retreating south. 30 planes are used as well, especially to get information about enemy positions. The Battallion Sorelese, a secret french and left wing oppositionist army trained by Italian officers is sent to France as well, to organize general strikes, anti-war protests and even riots if necessary in France, as well as agitate for a republican cause (MOD RESPONSE ON THE SUCCESS, PLEASE). These soldiers were once exiled, but now come back to France to bring back the republic. SECRET END The London Concordate is, due to Greek sympathy for it, not seen as a large threat, however a position as an observer is requested from the British (BRITISH RESPONSE NEEDED). The alliance with Spain is accepted. The fairly large gold deposits in Mali are further exploited, and many Italians, especially Sardinians, migrate to Mali to make a fortune as a gold miner, or at least they hope so. The new weaponry is now fully in use in the Army, whereas the old weapons are still in use of the police or are shipped to the colonial forces. As a result of the split between the URS-R and the URS-M, the Maggioranza is becoming more and more militant. The first Squadristi are set up. These squads are a loose collection of militias all affiliated with the URS-M. The Squadristi have no common leadership, but are lead by local leaders who often get their orders from the local section of the party. The major purpose is to protect the demonstrations and strikes organized by the Maggioranza, as well as preventing strike-breakers from getting to their work. The head of this idea is uncertain, as the leader of the Maggioranza faction, Benito Mussolini, has rarely appointed or even met the commissari squadristi, the Squad commissars. The Squads are mostly used in rural areas, where the christian socialists are often the only real allies of the URS-M, so attacks against the church or its members are not tolerated. A new far right militia is set up as a reaction to that as well by radicals who seek to put the nationalist ideals of Giovanni Gentile into praxis through violent means. Their leader is Cesare de Vecchi, founder of the Associazione della Lealta Nazionale (engl. Association of National Loyality), which is connected to the nationalist party Partido Nazionale del’Italia, the Nationalparty of Italy. The police, often challenged with the emerging radicalization and violence of the sides of the political spectrum, often take bribes or randomly arrest protesters who are under suspicion. Many Squadristi guns were also confiscated, but due to the decentralized nature of the organization, it is hard to exactly pin down the leadership, the exact gun deposits and membership lists.
- Imperial Federation: Although we are hesitant to grant Italy an observership we do inform them that the alliance is purely defensive and that we seek no quarrel with Italy.
- PGSF Dip: The Provisional Government offers to cede French Tripolitania to the Italians if they will withdraw their Battallion Sorelese from Southern France and allow the troops in Tripolitania to evacuate the region and join the PGSF.
- Imperial Federation: The collapse of France is seen with some relief in London. With the prospect of a massive continental war ebbing, military spending is cut back substantially. Regardless, the two Renown-class pursuit battleships are launched in June. Funding for the CTUTCs is cut significantly, and the project is delayed until 1919. However, the Naval Air Service expands with several sea-planes for coastal patrol and reconnaissance. The Service tests its first air-dropped torpedo, successfully sinking an obsolete Calypso class target ship. The demonstration impresses First Lord of the Admiralty Winston Churchill, who spectates the test personally. This proof of concept convinces him to dedicate a significant portion of the navy’s budget to developing more powerful torpedo-bombers able to defend the home islands and free up the Home Fleet for more adventurous duty. He also demands the construction of a ship able to transport, launch, and recover aircraft. An extra hull for a Cavendish class heavy cruiser is laid down for use as such a carrier. Since the mid 1890s, Jewish settlement from Europe in British-Egyptian Palestine has been growing significantly. To facilitate this influx without destroying the native population, a join Anglo-Egyptian Jewish Settlement Plan of 1918 is promulgated. Jewish land purchases are restricted to the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem, the region around Tel Aviv, and the Suez Occupation Zone. The last of these is land purchased from Egypt by the Imperial Federation stretching from five miles west of the Suez Canal, to the southern border of the Palestine Territory.
- Brazilian Federation: In Sao Paulo, a group of young generals (Tenentes) decide that the rule of the coffee oligarchs is too unstable and that true universal suffrage needs to be instated in Brazil and are tired of constantly firing on their own people. The Tenentes make alliances with the peasant contestados and the Brazilian Workers Federation and soon a large portion of the army, led by Isidoro Dias Lopez launches a revolt in Sao Paulo. Rio de Janeiro is finally taken over by local militias led by the charismatic Luis Carlos Prestes, who declares an end to the Old Republic and the oligarchic Coronelismo. Prestes invites Contestado and Tenente leaders to Rio for a Brazilian constitutional convention. Meanwhile, across the country, local oligarchs are overthrown and their wealth is communalized among the workers and peasants. Factory councils set up by the Brazilian Workers Federation take control of many of the factories. The Brazilian constitutional convention settles on the creation of a direct democratic government under a loose federalist system of Conselhos (Councils) that would convene in regional congresses The new constitution guarantees worker's rights and an end to child labor. Anarchists are split on whether to support this new government or to continue against it for the total abolition of the state. With the new government, the Brazilian Federation sends a delegation to La Plata hoping to renegotiate the terms of the overly harsh Treaty of Rio. We also send a delegation to the United States, asking them, as the protector of democracy, to recognize our new democratic government. The new militias which have been formed during the revolution are incorporated into the government while our army goes under a reorganization with the new young generation of Tenentes taking over. The Tenentes introduce new ideas and tactics and begin the process of updating our military's equipment and streamling the military hierarchy. The first elections take place and military figures dominate the party leadership. Isidoro Dias Lopez and his Partido Socialista Constitucional get the majority of the vote and partner up with Lieutenant Luis Carlos Prestes's Partido Socialista do Brazil to form a governing coalition. In opposition is the Partido Liberal supported by the Brazilian bourgeous and the Partido dos Trabalhadores e Camponeses, lead by journalist and former anarchist Astrojildo Pereira.
- Yugoslavia: We're going to defend our Bulgarian population due to targeting Bulgaria.
- Kingdom of Denmark: Construction of the New Danevirke progresses, with the expansion of the forts and redoubts along the defensive line. The forts and redoubts are linked via underground tunnels, each wide enough to accommodate a motor vehicle. Deep concrete bunkers are dug and reinforced with steel beams and concrete. A secondary construction project is initiated, aiming to dig a canal linking the River Kongea to the Danish fjord, effectively turning Danish Jutland into a man made island. The River Kongea is also artificially widened. Denmark and Russia begin joint naval war games in the Baltic Sea, specifically focusing on a Russian landing in Denmark (approved on Discord), With the Danish army at 210,000 men, the military is at near-maximum capacity. However with war with Germany threatening to break out, a further 100,000 men are selected for conscription, though they will only be conscripted if war breaks out. The first class of Danish military officers graduate from the Royal Danish Military Academy under Imperial Federation educators and are assigned to their respective units. The three dreadnoughts previously under construction are completed, adding the first capital ships to the Danish fleet. As a show of force, the three dreadnoughts sail along the coast of Schleswig-Holstein, boldly flying the Danish flag. Five Danish Officers are selected to be sent to England for training as airmen. A request is sent to the Imperial Federation requesting they be allowed to train with the next class of RAF Cadets (IMPERIAL RESPONSE). Additionally, the Danish Rigsad declares Prince Christian Frederick Carl the new heir of the Danish throne. This would effectively unite Denmark and Norway into a personal union. As a Danish Prince, Prince Christian would return to Denmark to rule the new United Kingdom of Denmark Norway from the Danish capital of Copenhagen (MOD RESPONSE REALLY NEEDED).
(I am retconning the previous killing of Pancho Villa by Alti). A Mexican rancher in northern Mexico by the name of Pancho Villa begins leading raids against US military targets as well as committing crimes such as bank robbing with a gang of rebels. His identity is currently unknown to the US military or local authorities.
Hitler writes and publishes his manifesto “Unser Kampf” which basically just rights his numerous views down on paper with extra stuff. He expands a little more into social issues like women’s rights, war, and patriotism and if it is compatible with Marxist theory. His theories become to be known as Hitlerism.
- Nippon: Meiji Tenno passes away marking the end of the meiji era. Emepror Teruhito adopts the era name Eiko (glory, spleandor). Having studied in Great Britain and served in the military Emperor Teruhito starts off his reign by presenting the image of a more hands on emperor taking a larger interest in the day to day affairs of not only his government but of his people. he takes a great interest in the ongoing labour movement and the increasingly violent riots and police response. He takes an active interest in new technological and civic debates. The growing trend of democratization also continues with more parties forming, new political trends start to develop and consildate themselves with the old guard conservatives slowly fading as more natinoalist, and panasian groups suppliment them after years of a lack of central leadership. The liberals who continue to hold onto power however their indecesiveness in the ongoing labour unrest. Funding of research and development of new small arms continues, along with fundfing the construction of new military factories in Manchuria . The motorization of the army continues. The Kwantung Army continues to develop and test new weapons and theories. Research into radios is also done. Yamamoto, and those who advocate for greater research and development into naval aviation are granted a major coup when under Imperial advice the navy grants them extra funding and otherrize the commission for the constructino of a dedicated air craft carrier after tests with sea planes, and bi planes prove their effectiveness after a decommissioned cruiser destroyer is sunk. The navy continues is shift from using coal as fuel to oil. The automotive industry continues to pick up as the steady motorization of society grows. As japanese cities grow and industrialize more plans are laid out for major civic projects including the construction of a metropolitan transit system for Toyko, Expansion of roads to accomodate automobiles specially trucks. Gorwth also occurs in the Chemical industry as dies, and synthetic textiles are produced in larger numbers as Japan's textile industry continues to grow. Japan develops its first domesticly produced steam turbine. Research into gas weapons also begins. Education reforms are also looked into to further goal of enforcing loyalty to the state, and ensure that mroe proffessionals develop in the work force. The Kwantung Army, and the BGlac Dragon society continue to secretly promote the expansion of Panasianism in Korea, and China, by funding pro Japanese newspapers, and by funding political dissidents within Korea's armed forces and amongst the those who advocate for the still semi hermit state of Korea to embrace the outside world.
- Manshu: The industrialization and settlement of Manchuria is conitnued with the Kwantung army and the black dragon society making up much of thel eadership of the protecterate's government. Education and social reforms continue.
- Taiwan and Nan yo: Industrialation and educational reforms continue. The Taihoku University is opened up.
- La Plata: In a Diplomatic envoy to Brazil, the La Platan President agrees to hear out Brazils terms for renegotiation of the Treaty of Rio. Two things are noted to be non negotiable however. The Reparations (expected to be complete by 1933) and the size of the Brazilian Army. La Plata has seized its place on the Continent as the dominant power and refuses to rehash the "argument" with yet another war. With the restructuring of the economy and the newly given rights to the workers, the Economy begins to see growth again. Industrial growth has surged upwards as various states show growth well beyond expected projections. This is partly due to the surge in immigration the last few years. With a rapidly expanding population base, the main issue becomes finding people to fill vacant jobs. With roughly 350,000 immigrants this year this is somewhat alleviated but it is clear that job growth is outpacing population and immigrant growth. This is a noteworthy issue as for many major buisinesses it is starting to drive up wages even further due to the need for labor. The outfitting of the Army with new Machine guns, and its new Semi-Automatic rifles continues with expectation to fully outfit the army within another 2 years. The expansion of the auto industry is noted as both of La Plata's major automotive corporations begin selling an affordable middle class car. This proves to be a hit with nearly 30,000 of the vehicles between both companies purchased this year with this number only being where it is due to the demand outpacing supply. The favorable tax system in Buenos Aires continues to attract banking and the wealthy and a slew of new banks are opened this year by the wealthy, the government, and even a series of middle class investors seeking to make a more lower class friendly bank is opened. The first of Foreign loans are issued as well to various private individuals in South America and even a notable German in Europe. This gives some credence to the development of Buenos Aires as a financial center. The construction of the Buenos Aires metro system continues with the first few lines opened this year covering central parts of the city. The second wave of expansion is expected to be complete the next year as well covering the middling and some of the notable outskirts regions of the city with the final lines expected to be complete the year after covering roughly 89% of the city with the rest being seen as uncessary to cover. In a twist, Puerto Alegre and Buenos Aires both become primary shipbuilders of the country with Porto Alegre picking up much of the slack in civilian building with Buenos Aires becomming the main hub for military shipbuilding. The construction of the Dreadnoughts continues and with the expansion of military shipbuilding in Buenos Aires a third keel is laid down with an expectation of the ship being complete in 1921. As it now stands at 11 years after the Great War with Brazil, the Platinean state officially puts its interest payments on debt within a much smaller margin of the national budget using the last few years of the Brazilian reparations payments to finally pay down a significant portion of debt once again and bring interest payments down to a menial level of payment. The Rapidly expanding economy is described by many to be "The South American Miracle." This miracle is noted to be the result of powerful economic restructuring, extreme measures to control spending, and finally shrewd policy in regards to jump starting Industrial growth in the country. Spanning from 1908-1918 the miracle is noted to have put La Plata on the map as the second Prime exporter to South America, second only to the United States. With the success of many buisineses and with the previous debt restructuring giving foreign creditors some portions of shares in Platinean companies, a wave of investment floods into these industries. Their Profitability has proven to be a prime driver for this investment and more modern equipment and tools, top of the line, are purchase or built in local factories increasing efficiency and even further increasing productivity and profitability. The Army of La Plata adds another 50,000 to its ranks with the Army standing now at 500,000. With only a limited conscription in place to inflate the numbers just a bit, the country is able to more or less field this force without issue. The assimilation of the northern states continues and polling for support of the government is taken with Rio Grande, and Uruguay showing overwhelming support for the federal government, and Santa Catarina starting to poll in support of the government as well. This is noted to be due to the development of the local economy, and the development of the local Steel industry. Santa Catarina is noted to now be the 3rd largest steel producing state in the country. Development of the southern states economy continues at a brisk pace with Neucera helping centralize the southern development specifically due to it being the only major city this far south. Having grown from only 15,000 to nearly 65,000 in the last decade has done wonders for the city and the expansion of its agriculture and it being the central hub of southern transport infrastructure has led it to be designated as "the southern capital". The arrival of a Barracks and military posting in the city only serves to expand this role. Development of a southern port Rio Grande continues with plans to expand it further to acommodate 2 dreadnoughts and its screens. This by extention would also turn this port into the primary shipping port of the southern states as well. The expansion of its railway network for shipping goods serves to cause this as well. The development of the Border fortifications with Brazil continue with the forts now having been constructed and the very prominent and well developed trench systems creating a heavy static defensive line along the border in case of a resurgent war with Brazil. This process was envisioned to be much cheaper than simply shoving forts across the whole border and should relations with Brazil seriously improve the defensive fortification will be decommissioned in favor of improved relations with Brazil. The population reaches 16 million this year from natural growth and immigration. Immigration is expected to continue at a brisk and highly influential pace until the end of the 1920 unless the situation in Europe should further deteriorate. As a result of shrewd economic maneuvering and preventing extreme inflation of the nations currency, La Plata once again claims the mantle of one of the highest GDP's per Capita in the world with the "Platinean Dream" allowing many to arrive and through hard work become successful workers, buisinessment or merchants. The development of a wealthy and powerful middle class is noted to be a primary driver in the country once again attaining top 5 in GDP per Capita.
- Kingdom of Denmark-Norway: The Danish Rigsdad votes to officially declare Prince Christian Frederick Carl, aka King Haakon VII of Norway, the Crown Prince of the Kingdom. Upon hearing of the vote, King Rodby decides to abdicate in favor of Prince Carl, who is officially declared King of Denmark-Norway (MODS CONFIRMED VIA DISCORD). Christian Frederick Carl is invited to assume the Danish throne in Copenhagen, from where he will rule Denmark-Norway. Norway is hesitant to confirm the union having just retained its independence, however Christian Frederick Carl vows to utilize Denmark's recent militarization and industrialization to protect Norwegian autonomy and to not simply treat Norway as a province of Denmark. To demonstrate his desire to protect Norwegian autonomy the Norwegian parliament is added to the Rigsdag in its entirety, resulting in the creation of a two-chambered legislature, the upper house being the Danish Rigsdag and the lower house being the Norwegian Storting. Additionally, Christian Frederick Carl decides to keep his Norwegian royal name of Haakon VII even as King of Denmark-Norway, symbolizing his commitment to the Norwegian people. A request is sent to England requesting that the five previously mentioned Danish officers be allowed to train with the next round of RAF cadets (IMPERIAL RESPONSE NEEDED). Construction of the New Danevirke nears completion, with only the final touches being added to increase the morale and comfort of the Danish troops garrisoned there.