| The following Great White South page is under construction.
Please do not edit or alter this article in any way while this template is active. All unauthorized edits may be reverted on the admin's discretion. Propose any changes to the talk page.
The timeline of events of the Great White South universe.
Prehistory (until 4000 BC)
- c. 20,000 years ago - The still-unexplained Antarctic Meltdown makes Antarctica habitable to humans.
- c. 10,000 years ago - Humans of the Fuegian culture reach Tierra del Fuego in South America; and shortly reach what is now Ognia in Antarctica.
Ancient and Medieval History (4000 BC - 1500 AD)
- c. 700 BC - The Greek historian Herodotus records a Phoenician fleet that sailed from the Red Sea south along the African coast and around Cape Agulhas to the Strait of Gibraltar. A section of the record describes a meeting with an unknown ship whose captain, when asked where he was from, pointed south.
- c. 600-300 BC - Greek philosophers theorize a spherical Earth with the antipodes North and South Polar regions.
- c. 360 BC - Plato first mentions the existence of the island of "Atlantis", which he claims is located in the far south.
- c. 150 AD - Ptolemy published Geographia, which notes Terra Australis Incognita.
- c. 650 AD - Polynesians make contact with the native cultures of Antarctica.
- c. 900 AD - the Native Kingdom of K'athar is founded by Omn In'saik.
- c. 900-1300 AD - K'athar expands, allegedly claiming land from Tierra del Fuego across the Continent to Eastern Antarctica.
- c. 1300-1500 AD - The rise of the Ognaru people weakens K'athar significantly.
Early Modern History (1500 - 1800)
- 1522 - Spanish explorer Juan Sebastián Elcano sights Amsterdam Island.
- c. 1550 - the AIP Kilaiye Confederacy is founded by the Inok, Mo'doa, Shinin, Eksey and Tyiotak nations.
- 1559 - Portuguese sailors sight Saint-Paul Island.
- 1633 - Dutch explorer Anthonie van Diemen visits (and names) Amsterdam Island.
- 1696 - Dutch explorer Willem de Vlamingh visits Saint-Paul Island.
- January, 1772 - French explorer Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne discovers and claims the Crozet Islands.
- February, 1772 - the Kerguelen Islands are visited and claimed for France by explorer Yves-Joseph de Kerguelen de Trémarec.
- November, 1772 - the founding of Port-aux-Français on Kerguelen marks the first permanent European Settlement of Antarctica.
- 1772-1775 - Captain James Cook's second voyage makes him the first European to cross the Antarctic Circle. Cook disputedly sighted Antarctica on this voyage.
- 1810 - During the Napoleonic Wars, Britain captures Kerguelen after the Battle of Kerguelen.
- 1810 - Australia claims Macquarie Island.
- 1815 - The Congress of Vienna returns Kerguelen to France.
- January, 1820 - Russian explorer Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen is the first confirmed European to sight and land on mainland Antarctica, as well as making contact with the K'atharans.
- January, 1820 - British explorer Edward Bransfield sights Antarctica, 2 days later than Bellingshausen, and claims Grahamland.
- 1820 - Bellingshausen returns to Antarctica and founds the first Russian settlements.
- November, 1820 - American explorer Nathaniel Palmer lands on Antarctica.
- 1821 - The Netherlands establishes Dutch Antarctica.
- February, 1821 - American sealer John Davis lands on Antarctica.
- March, 1821 - Bransfield reaches modern-day Eduarda and establishes the colony of Nova Hibernia.
- 1833-1834 - The War of Midnight Coast. Dutch Antarctica is abandoned.
- 1834 - First Russian-K'atharan War. Russian colonies begin to expand into Katharan land.
- 1839 - The Balleny Islands are sighted by British whaler John Balleny. They become a Dependency of New South Wales until 1841, when they are transferred to New Zealand.
- 1841 - Ross Island and Scott Island are discovered. Along with the Balleny Islands, they are united as the Bransfield Islands and become a Dependency of New Zealand.
- 1850 - New Vestfold is founded as a Dependency of New South Wales.
- 1854 - Heard and McDonald are claimed by Australia
- 1859 - Britain establishes the Berkner Bay Colony.
- Late 1850s - Russian settlers reach the Berkner Bay region.
- 1861 - Second Russian-K'atharan War. Russian expansion is stunted, and an uneasy truce with Kathar is made.
- 1863 - Chile begins settlement of the Berkner Bay region.
- 1865 - Argentina begins settlement of the Berkner Bay region.
- 1870 - Sweden-Norway establishes Maudland.
- 1873 - South Africa claims the Prince Edward Islands
- 1873 - Third Russian-K'atharan War. Russian colonies deal Kathar a severe blow and claim much of its land.
- 1880 - Russia divides its Antarctic holdings into eight Viceroyalties.
- 1886 - Germany establishes New Swabia.
- 1886-1901 - Berkner Land War. Argentine, British, Chilean and Russian settlers skirmish for control of the Berkner Bay region.
- 1890 - The Kilaiye War, between British Colonists and the Kilaiye Confederation. The last major "Native War" in Eastern Antarctica.
- 1890-1903 - The Fall of Kathar.
- 1890 - Fourth Russian-K'atharan War. Yuri Makov puts down the At'aiy Movement, and King Saik Eda'ain is executed, leaving no heir.
- 1890-1893 - War of K'atharan Succession. Shi'mok Se'leiy, a pro-Russian fief, is victorious; but remains unpopular with anti-Russian nobles.
- 1896-1903 - K'atharan Civil War. Traditionalist Katharans attempt to overthrow Se'leiy.
- 1903 - At the end of the Katharan Civil War, Russian troops conquer Kathar.
- 1890 - Denmark establishes the protectorate of Ettejsborg.
- 1893 - Denmark officially gains control of Ettejsborg through a treaty with Kathar.
Early 20th Century
- 1900-1901 - The Santiago Constitutional Congress is held by pro-independence Chilean and Argentine settlers. The Republic of Santiago is founded.
- January 1st, 1901 - The Federation of Australia makes Australia an independent country. New Vestfold is switched from a Dependency of New South Wales to a Territory of Australia.
- 1901-1928 - Santiago fights the Kaiws Wars.
- 1905 - Sweden and Norway separate. Maudland votes to join Norway.
- 1907 - New Zealand becomes a Dominion of the British Empire.
First World War
- July 28th, 1914 - The First World War breaks out. New Swabia mobilizes troops to fight against the Australian, British, French and Russian colonies on Antarctica.
- September 1st, 1914 - Santiago enters the War, taking the Central Powers' side.
- May 3rd, 1915 - Led by Colonel Francisco Bodega, a splinter faction of the Santiagan military instigates the Winter Uprising.
- October 6th, 1915 - Bodega is installed as President of Santiago, and withdraws his country from the War.
- 1916 - Japan captures Lumberjack Island from New Swabia.
- 1916 - New Swabia capitulates to the Allies, and the First Occupation of New Swabia (which lasts until the Treaty of Versailles) begins.
- 1917 - The Russian Civil War begins.
- 1917-1926 - The Russian Antarctic War takes place across the former Russian Viceroyalties.
- 1917 - Petrovia and New Ukraine declare independence.
- 1917 - New Zealand occupies much of the Viceroyalty of Maria, but does not officially claim it.
- 1918 - The United States enters Antarctica and establishes the American Antarctic Zone.
- November 11th, 1918 - The Armistice with Germany is signed, ending the War.
- 1919 - Gumar, Kathar, Medquar and Alexandria are established in modern-day Ognia. The Katharan Liberation Army disbands.
- 1919 - France occupies Yekaterinia as Adélie.
- June 28th, 1919 - The Treaty of Versailles is signed, transferring Lumberjack Island to Japan as Kikorishima, and the rest of New Swabia to Britain as the Antarctic Mandate.
- 1920 - The Amery Conference takes place.
- June 28th, 1921 - The Dominion of Eduarda is established with the federation of four British Colonies. The Colony of New Devon is established with the federation of another two.
- 1922 - The United States establishes the Territories of Western Antarctica and Palmeria.
- 1923 - Officials from Petrovia and New Ukraine meet together in Vostok, hoping to prevent Russians in Antarctica from turning Communist while maintaining their independence from foreign powers. They form the KKZA organization.
- 1923 - New Zealand establishes the Ross Dependency (which also encompasses its earlier Antarctic claims) in former Russian Antarctica.
- April 24th, 1926 - Petrovia and New Ukraine federate, forming Bellinsgauzenia.
- 1928 - Richard Evelyn Byrd is appointed Governor of the Territory of Western Antarctica.
- October, 1929 - The Wall Street Crash begins the Great Depression.
- 1935 - Richard Evelyn Byrd's term ends. In honor of his accomplishments during his tenure as Governor, the Territory of Western Antarctica is renamed the Territory of Byrdia.
- March 2nd, 1936 - The Nazi Party of the Antarctic Mandate declares the colony to be an independent Republic, as New Swabia. This country is recognized by Germany and most of its allies within a week; and by Britain on April 20th.
Second World War
- September 1st, 1939 - The Second World War breaks out.
- December 11th, 1939 - Bellinsgauzenia and Santiago declare War on each other.
- December, 1939 - Bellinsgauzenia begins funding Russian nationalist rebels in Adélie.
- 1940-1941 - New Swabian troops gain ground in Maudland.
- April 15th, 1940 - The Norwegian Royal Family and Government flee to Maudland, following the invasion of Norway by Germany on April 9th.
- July 10th, 1940 - Vichy France is established. The Kerguelaine government is pro-Vichy; while the government of Adélie splits into Civil War.
- October, 1940 - Pro-Vichy Paul Courval is installed as Governor of Adélie; but is ordered by the Vichy Government (at the request of Germany and Bellinsgauzenia) to surrender the territory to the Russian nationalist rebels.
- October 12th, 1940 - The Republic of Yekaterinia is established. Pro-Vichy French people are granted citizenship.
- October 30th, 1940 - Yekaterinia federates into Bellinsgauzenia.
- January 3rd, 1941 - Santiago and Bellinsgauzenia sign a General Armistice, effectively ending their War.
- April, 1941 - Germany deploys troops to Kerguelen.
- April 16th, 1941 - Australian and Free French troops launch an Assault on Kerguelen.
- April 23rd, 1941 - Kerguelen comes under Free French control.
- December 9th, 1941 - New Swabia surrenders to the Allies, on the condition that its National Socialist government will be allowed to continue operating.
- 1941-1945 - The Second Occupation of New Swabia.
Late 20th Century
- September 10th, 1945 - The Treaty of New Fenland brings an official end to the Bellinsgauzenian-Santiagan War.
- 1948 - New Devon becomes a Dominion.
- 1950 - The South Pole Neutral Zone is established.
- June 3rd, 1969 - President Pekka Tulenheimo of Santiago is assassinated in San Martín, and succeeded by Jorje Rosadilla.
- November 22nd, 1972 - The Ognian Confederation is established, beginning the unification of the Ognian states.
- February, 1974 - Santiago invades Chile, hoping to overthrow Augusto Pinochet's government.
- June, 1974 - The Santiagan invasion of Chile is repelled.
- 1975 - The People's Republic of Alexandria becomes the Republic of I'kranar and joins the Ognian Confederation.
- April 7th, 1979 - The members of the Ognian Confederation federate into a single sovereign nation.
- November 20th, 1979 - In cooperation with several anti-Fascist New Swabian groups, Maudland invades New Swabia, sparking the New Swabian War.
- 1980 - The Grahamland referendum, 1980 transfers much of Grahamland to Ognia. The Scotia Sea Islands remain under British control.
- 1981 - The Falkland Islands referendum, 1980 transfers the Scotia Sea Islands to Ognia. All direct British control of Antarctica is now over.
- 1982 - Argentina invades the Ognian islands, sparking the Warrahar War; but is repelled by British and Ognian forces.
- June 14th, 1982 - The Nazi Party of New Swabia is toppled, ending the New Swabian War.
- May 16th, 1985 - Three Eduardan scientists announce to the world that aerosol chemicals, among other factors, had torn a hole in the ozone layer over the South Pole. Antarctic nations demand something be done to prevents any further depletion. The Green Revolution begins.
- 1986 - A referendum in Byrdia results in its independence from the United States.
- 1989 - Maudland becomes independent of Norway.
- 1989 - Montreal Protocol comes into effect, banning the use of ozone-depleting chemicals worldwide.
- December 26th, 1989 - New Devon declares independence as the United Republic.
- January 1st, 1990 - The United Republic's independence is recognized by the United Kingdom.
- 1990 - Kikorishima rejoins New Swabia as an autonomous territory.
- 1993 - Denmark transfers Ettejsborg to Ognia.
- 2006 - In Santiago (a country where the majority of the population live on islands), several islands experience extensive flooding due to their low height above sea level. Among these is Berkner Island, which is the country's main population center, and is the site of the capital, San Martín. Many consider the floods to be a result of Global Warming. Meanwehile, United Nations scientists report that the Ozone Layer hole has begun to shrink, but will not disappear completely until sometime between 2060 and 2075.
- 2009 - Antarctica experiences its warmest year on record.
- 2010 - Emperor Penguins are added to the endangered species list.
- September 3-5, 2010 - The Ross Dependency is dissolved into the New Zealand associate states of Balleny Islands and Ross and Scott, the Bellinsgauzenian territory of Lower Yazalashar, and the Co-Administrative Areas of Lower Yazalashar.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.