- Referendum in the northern Italy for the independence of the Padania, softened by the Lega Nord.
- Padanian Referendum results: Padania has voted to leave Italy.
- The President of the Republic Sergio Mattarella has made his first speech for the New Year, the President has talked about the terrible situation in Padania for the Italians, about the economy, about the future and a happy and a serene 2016
- Regional elections in eight regions of Italy, four regions now have a president of Fratelli d'Italia - A.N., three of Forza Nuova and one of Movimento 5 Stelle
- In Rome the 70th anniversary of the foundation of the Italian Republic was celebrated. The highest civil and military authorities assisted in the parade of the Republic.
- In southern Italy two trains had a frontal crush and at least 27 people died and 50 remain wounded, The line where the trains crushed was run by a private company, also some Padanian citizens died in this train disaster.
- During the night a violent earthquake of 6.0 on the Richter scale happened in Italy. The center of this earthquake was in the valley of the Tronto, the city of Accumoli, Amatrice, Norcia and Arquata del Tronto was semi-completely destroyed. From the last official news 250 people died and other 200 was wounded. The earthquake was also heard at Rome, Bologna, Florence, Perugia, L'Aquila and Naples. Russia, US, Scotland and others have sent humanitarian help at the earthquake victims, also many Italian volunteers will help the order forces and the firefighters in the rescue of the wounded. There are some aftershocks reported and many others will happen and the number of the victims will go up.
- A magnitude 5.5 and 6.1 earthquake strikes the central region of Italy. This was considered to be an aftershock of the earthquake last August