|Hello and welcome to the Alternate History Wiki!|
We are a community for creating fictional alternative histories. We hope you will feel at home here and wish you good luck contributing to our ever-growing collection of timelines.
Some other helpful reference pages:
Some general tips:
- 1 Contribute to the Differently ALThistory
- 2 Re:Differently
- 3 Categories
- 4 Hey, hey
- 5 Editing Differently
- 6 Maps
- 7 Leaving Differently
- 8 New Nation
- 9 Can I contribute?
- 10 New Nation Info Page
- 11 United Kingdom
- 12 Flag Map
- 13 RE: Software
- 14 1995 Fox River Grove bus–train collision (Differently)
- 15 Latin America (Differently)
- 16 FIFA World Cup: Byzantium (Differently)
Contribute to the Differently ALThistory
Hi! I'm Logomaster210. Can I contribute on the Differently universe? Thanks in advance!
- Yes, you are welcome! What articles would you like to contribute to? - Lnobse (talk) 00:34, February 27, 2020 (UTC)
I can contribute Philippines.
- Feel free to add new pages and expand existing ones as long as you are consistent with the rest of timeline. - Lnobse (talk) 00:59, February 27, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, I'm Mister Duran.I want to contribute on Differently specificly on Turkmenistan and Uzbhekistan.Can I?And I want to say that this timeline is most interesting one in this fandom trust me :)
- Thank you for your interest and appreciation! Yes, you are welcome as long as your edits respect the timeline's five golden rules stated in the main page. You are also invited to join our Discord server, where you can discuss Differently in real time with me and other editors: https://discord.gg/BcbpyuEg. - Lnobse (talk) 22:04, 26 January 2021 (UTC)
- Venezuela remains basically the same post-Cold War socialistic regime created by Chávez. Otherwise, communism suffered a drastic demise by the mid-70s, there are no Communist regimes left. However, I would say minor communist parties are still around and fully legal, especially in the previously Second World countries, but they hardly have any popular support. - Lnobse (talk) 03:40, February 11, 2020 (UTC)
I noticed that you had creating several categories here and there and put some pages into new categories. However, the admins have no consideration or plan at all to classify the pages based on the narrative themes presented in each alternate histories. Categorization, which lately has been done by JorgeGG, is mostly organizing works to befit the pages in more general categories (countries, political institutions, people, etc.), rather to put some timelines into common thematic categories.
I advise you to consult on Jorge first, visit him to learn first about categorization, and restrain yourself to create thematic categories before you learn first from him. You must understand the first question: "What makes a category appropiate for the organization of this wiki?". Also, please restrain yourself to edit other users' timelines without their permissions unless for proper organizational tasks.
- Oh, sorry. I really thought I would be helping the community by organizing timelines into these categories, not harming it. But if it is forbidden here, I must not continue. - Lnobse (talk) 03:18, January 6, 2020 (UTC)
Categorization is a tricky work and it is supposed to generalize the pages into common categories rather than make them more specified themes. That is a reason why we trust JorgeGG for that work because with the pages of this wiki, he is already familiar.
Also, if you received any message from other users, please reply in their talk pages rather than in your own. Because the notification only appear if you write in other's talk pages. Your reply will be unnoticed of course because there is no way we can know about it.
- Hello! It's always great to have one more contributor. What do you have mind? - Lnobse (talk) 17:20, April 12, 2020 (UTC)
I would like to do Malawi
- Please go ahead. After you're done I'll revise it and incorporate it into the timeline. - Lnobse (talk) 19:54, April 12, 2020 (UTC)
Hello there, Lnobse! Glad to see you back!
While you were out, I saw a user editing your timeline, and I guess that he might not be on your team... (he edited some parts of my timeline too, gladly I undid everything there).
I hope this can help you! :)
- Thank you for notifying me. I'll check on those. - Lnobse (talk) 05:41, August 3, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, Lnobse. I have gotten your Message about the Editing, and I can explain that. I cannot go on the Discord due to Blocking, and I am new to Discord, so I do not know how to work it. I can now ask you again, can I keep editing on Differently and ask you for permission on your Talk Page?
- Yes, but I need to ask you a few things:
- There's already another user who was planning to work on Lithuania and Moldova, so please leave them.
- Do you think the idea of a Communist Denmark is compatible with the First World Germanic League, especially considering Denmark was one of the League's founding members in 1940? Perhaps the civil war could divide Denmark in two and allow the non-communist state to be part of the League. I have created People's Republic of Denmark to reflect your idea, but I have pulled its ending date down to 1977. I'm still unsure about this.
- Lnobse (talk) 04:26, August 29, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, Lnobse. To put it simply, The PR of Denmark wasn't my Idea. I just found a page on Differently about the List of General Secretaries of Denmark, and I kind of just went along with that. I am absolutely fine with your idea, but I want to know how to edit the map so I can post different maps.
- Well, we don't have any special way to edit maps. We do it manually via editing software. Tell me which map you would like to edit and which changes and I'll do it for you. As for Denmark, could you please link that page of General Secretaries you mentioned? Thank you. - Lnobse (talk) 05:25, August 29, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, Lnobse. I don't think the Page appears on certain pages of Differently, but I just stumbled upon it. I do not know who made this Page.
I have noticed that another user has made the Balkan Nation Descriptons. However, in the Republic and Monarchy image, I noticed that Romania, Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, Lithuania, and Malaysia are in Blue. You don't have to do it now, because I don't want to overwhelm you, so you can do it later.
- Thanks for letting me know. I've edited the image to reflect those details. Thank you for your interest in Differently. You are welcome to keep editing as long as you follow the four golden rules stated in the timeline's main page and do not change already done work without discussing it before. Also ask me for major changes or additions. It would be good if you found a way to join our server so we can discuss it easier with everyone else. In any case, have a good time! - Lnobse (talk) 10:18, August 29, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, Lnobse. Now that I know how to properly tell you, can I start creating some pages about countries. I am fine with doing Laos and Myanmar. However, I have a question about Laos. In the Cold War picture, Laos isn't pictured as a Communist State, because the Monarchy of Laos was only abolished in 1975, in December. So, should I do a Republican Laos, or a Monarchist Laos. It makes more sense to do a Monarchist one because the Monarchy was only abolished at the end of the year, whereas the Soviet Union in Differently wasn't dissolved at the end of the year. For Myanmar, I will just do a similar page like in Real Life, because it didn't have many diverging points.
- I agree. Monarchist Laos and Republican Myanmar it is. - Lnobse (talk) 20:11, August 29, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, Lnobse. I have finished both Laos and Myanmar, and had added a List of Laotian Kings page too. Can I start on Krygyzstan and possibly make a page relaing to the Peruvian Communist Insurrection? CheesyDolphins (talk) 16:21, September 1, 2020 (UTC)CheesyDolphins
- Of course. Go ahead. - Lnobse (talk) 02:37, September 2, 2020 (UTC)
Lnobse, I can start on creating the Lower Countries (ex. Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg). However, can you tell me how to put on the flags of the countries? I don't quite get it yet.
- I'll give you the code for a template to be used as a model. Just copy it from below and paste on your article, then change anything you need to. It includes the flag and other stuff. This one is for the Netherlands, so, for other countries, just change to its equivalent; for example, in Belgium, change anything from "Netherlands" to "Belgium", then change "Amsterdam" to "Brussels" in the capital line, etc. You can use it for further nations you add to the timeline. - Lnobse (talk) 16:54, September 4, 2020 (UTC)
| name = ''Koninkrijk der Nederlander''
| name_en = Kingdom of the Netherlands
| timeline = Differently
| flag = Flag of the Netherlands.svg
| flag_caption = Flag
| coa =
| coa_caption =
| motto = ''Je maintiendrai'' (French)<br>"I will maintain"
| anthem = ''Wihelmus''
| map = Netherlands map Differently.png
| map_caption = Location of the Netherlands in Europe
| capital = Amsterdam
| city_largest = Amsterdam
| official_languages = Dutch
| regime = Unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchy
| HoStitle = '''King'''
| HoSname = Willem-Alexander
| CoGtitle = Prime-Minister
| CoGname = Marke Rutte
| area = 42531
| population = 17,737,438
| currency = guilder
Can I contribute to the Differently Universe?
I can write the South American Nations.
Thanks in Advance,
- Hello. Of course. But firs please tell me which nations you would like to contribute to, and what you plan to do with them. - Lnobse (talk) 17:47, September 10, 2020 (UTC)
I can do Chile and Argentina. Argentina can remain the same, except it doesn't suffer it's Inflation in the late-20th century, and I think that Chile should adopt a Totalitarian Regime, like in OTL Nazi Germany, and the regime is abolished at the end of the Cold War.
- You can go on then! So far it seems good, but for future significant changes or additions, please either talk to me here first or go to our Discord server, where you can discuss everything in real time with me and other editors: https://discord.gg/u7XDBE9 Thank you for joining our team! - Lnobse (talk) 01:08, September 11, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, Lnobse. I have an idea for Russia. I think we could make an Alaskan Governmnt-in-Exile in which the Romanov's fled to Alaska and made a Government-in-exile. I think we might need to change lots of things in various pages like the Area for Russia itself and some other minor things in other pages. Overall, it's fine if you say no, but it is just a suggestion.
- Hey, I've talked to some of the other editors and they didn't like the idea. I personally want Alaska to be more of an ordinary federal subject of Russia. However, I like the idea of the Romanovs in exile somewhere. - Lnobse (talk) 21:57, September 11, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, Lnobse. I think we can make a page about the Romanov Family, where we can include the information there. I think the Family could have escaped the Ipatiev House or were ever there to begin with. If that's the case, we can make the Soviets exile the family to Austria or Germany, but because Austria became a Socialist Nation, the family had to flee to some other country that supports the Romanovs, maybe West Persia? They could start a Government in Exile somewhere and continue to resist the Russian Government, like the Pahlavi's do with the Islamic Republic.
- I like your page about the Romanovs so far. They can continue in exile in Germany and West Persia. - Lnobse (talk) 18:35, September 12, 2020 (UTC)
Hello, I noticed that some maps have some issues, such as the Republics VS Monarchies. I noticed that Estonia, Lesotho, and Syria are not red. Also, can I start makig some pages on some South Africa nations like Lesotho Mozambique?
I know this might sound weird, but I am steamed that my work has been replaced, which has irritated me. So, I am going to leave the timeline and possibly start my own. I might come back, but for now, don't expect for me to write anymore pages. I am really mad at the editors who contributed to this, and I am looking forward to not working with Differently until this issue is resolved.
- Sad to read that. I really don't like to lose editors. Would you like to talk about what exact attitudes of other editors you do not approve of and what I can possibly do? If you are sure about leaving, then good luck with your new timeline; I'll be reading your work. - Lnobse (talk) 00:41, September 17, 2020 (UTC)
I have made the decision that I will continue helping the Differently Timeline, whereas I will start writing my own too. I don't want to completely leave Differently, because Differently is one of the most popular AltHistory Timelines. I admire your Map work, and the effort you put into the Articles.
- Thank you. I'll be happy to have you editing Differently while you work on your own timeline. - Lnobse (talk) 01:33, September 17, 2020 (UTC)
I got your message, and I am fully fine with that. I don't think I have many options to turn to besides Africa, which the south African nations haven't been decided. I have four choices.
- Independent Zulu Kingdom
- Congo-Brazzaville as Medieval Kingdom of Kongo
- Madagascar as the Imerina Kingdom
- Sultanate of the Maldives
I am fine with any, but I would prefer a Kongolese Kingdom.
- Hello. If you are into African kingdoms, there are some I started writing about but didn't develop much: Ghana an Ethiopia. Ghana in this timeline is one of the biggest and most populous countries in the world, which united all of Western Africa and did not fall to European colonization, but I didn't develop its history or other details much and I'm really out of ideas. Ethiopia never fell to Italy and is still an empire to this day but I also didn't write about how it went afterwards. There are also the republics of Carthage (we only wrote about its politics so far) and Central Sahel (the only northern African nation that did suffer European colonization). Nations south of the Sahel were all colonized during the scramble for Africa. - Lnobse (talk) 03:16, September 18, 2020 (UTC)
Sorry that I didn't sign my message before, but are you suggesting I write more of current monarchies, or make a new one, because your message to me was telling me that I could make one more. I have a few ideas for Ghana and Bornu, in which Ghana is a struggling nation trying to keep the ancient tribes together, and narrowly evaded European colonization. In the Article, it states that Ghana suffered some famines and poverty-stricken times, so I thought that it would make sense for Ghana to become a thriving nation only recently, maybe after the Cold War. For Ethiopia, I think an Ethiopian Communist Uprising is impossible, due to the point in time during the Derg Communist Revolutions (1974), and by then, the Soviet Union must have been collapsing, kind of like OTL Soviet Union did between the 1970s and 1990s. So, I propose some sort of Eritrean Insurrection or a Sudanese one, because Ethiopia holds may OTL Sudanese Territories. Either way, the Empire is never dissolved, and is still here today.
- Yes, there is room for one more sovereign monarchy anywhere in the world we didn't decide already, but since you said you were thinking specifically of an African kingdom, I gave some examples of half-developed articles that need completion. I don't think the Sub-Saharan area of Africa will have kingdoms other than Lesotho or Eswatini because it suffers colonization like in OTL, and most countries that form thereafter get independence as republics. Unlike the African north, the south was not Christianized at the time the scramble of Africa began in the 19th century. I envision the Catholic Africa in the north as having much more connection to Europe throughout history and therefore being seen almost as an extension of Europe itself. But if you think there are exceptions, that is, countries that can come independent as kingdoms, please tell me about it and we might discuss that.
- As to your ideas for Bornu, Ghana and Ethiopia, I like them. I will appreciate if you apply them. I was really needing some expansion there. ;)
- Lnobse (talk) 06:12, September 18, 2020 (UTC)
Just a side note, can we change Congo-Brazzaville to just Congo, and Congo-Kinshasa to Zaire? It's a bit confusing.
Can I contribute?
- Of course. I would like to see how you can improve the timeline. I've been quite inactive lately but I'm still checking the website now and then. - Lnobse (talk) 23:12, October 7, 2020 (UTC)
New Nation Info Page
It's been a while since I last majorly edited something, so I thought of something I can add to the Timeline. Although we have a "List of Nations" page, it only contains the maps and the links to the nation, not the actual info, like the capital, the government, and the leaders, in one page. I would like to make a page similar to that of many other "List of Nations", such as the one in my timelines.
(EDIT) If I can, I can also start the format, but it doesn't need to be incorporated into the timeline if you don't want.
- I think the current List of nations is there just to introduce the reader to the timeline, and further info can be read in the pages about each country. Nevertheless, it would be interesting to have a page like that too. Please feel free to create that page. If it's good enough, we may think about replacing the current one. - Lnobse (talk) 10:11, 29 October 2020 (UTC)
I have created a page that's called "Nations" in Differently. I found out the process takes a long time to do, so it might take a while to finish, so I put the "Under Construction" template on the page. For the name, I had no other name to name it, so I just named it "Nations", but you can rename it to whatever you like. As for the rulers, some pages aren't that clear on the subject, so for many nations, exe. Scotland, I just put a former or current politician in the box.
- I loved the style of it. It is a beautifully crafted and informative table. We are definitely keeping and finishing it, but since the other one is fine too and contains maps (which give an indispensable spatial introduction), I will keep both and name your list "Detailed list of nations". - Lnobse (talk) 22:56, 29 October 2020 (UTC)
In the British Isles, I think we could make a few changes to make things a little less complicated. For example, Northern Ireland is still under control of the English crown, but it could be given to Northern Ireland. After giving the land to Ireland, we could just name the new nation that covers England proper and Wales just "England", so things won't be so confusing. Say, the demonym of the current United Kingdom is usually British, but in ATL, Scotland is independent, and therefore can't be called "British". For the flag, we could just use the plain old English flag, maybe with a medieval coat of arms in the middle?
I cannot go on Discord for the time being, so I might as well ask you here. I know we already have a lot of maps, but if we could maybe make a map similar to the Triangles and Crosses map on their List of Nations, it would be very informative. I have tried making one, but it is not possible with my variety of Photoshop and editors. It would be cool if one of us could do that, but if it is not possible, it is fine.
- I think it is a bit difficult to create such a map. Could you link to the Triangle and Crosses map? Maybe we can ask the creator what software they used. - Lnobse (talk) 23:34, 12 November 2020 (UTC)
So, I did manually using Paint.NET, redrawing the borders (using the Pencil tool, not the Brush tool), and adjusting the flags into the dimensions of the country in the map, one by one. This is the link to the map I used, by the way
- Thank you! - Lnobse (talk) 04:21, 13 November 2020 (UTC)
1995 Fox River Grove bus–train collision (Differently)
Hi I'm Guminator1. Can I contribute on the Differently universe? Thanks in advance!
- Sorry, didn't see this earlier. Thank you for your interest! You're welcome to contribute to our timeline so long as you follow the five golden rules described in the main page. - Lnobse (talk) 14:39, 23 December 2020 (UTC)
Latin America (Differently)
Hi I wanted to ask why Latin America (Differently) has so little change? Wouldn't it be easier to unify them in a single country or something like that?
- Hello. We value plausibility as an important characteristic, so we don't just apply any changes that would seem cool or "easy", as you put it. Nevertheless, Latin America does have some notable differences, such as:
- Brazil being still a monarchy and having not lost the territories that would become Uruguay and French Guiana;
- Bolivia having not lost its coast in the War of the Pacific;
- Chile being a dictatorship;
- The Federal Republic of Central America still existing.
- Also, the differences don't lie solely on borders and flags. The entire societies of some Latin American countries may be different, even if it's not visible in the main maps and lists. - Lnobse (talk) 04:39, 1 January 2021 (UTC)
FIFA World Cup: Byzantium (Differently)
thanks for answering my previous questions now I have a suggestion could you put these players as the big stars of Byzantium when I won the World Cup in 2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arda_Turan https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamit_Alt%C4%B1ntop thanks