Inspired by Napoleon's World this alternate history attempts to build a world around the ideals, concepts, and science of OTL's Nikola Tesla while remaining as realistic as possible. As in, it's possible that what Nikola envisioned for the future may not happen during the exact year he felt such would happen or by what year he felt it'd be prominent. While known for his inventions Nikola Telsa had some political ideals and concepts; including some predictions that didn't come to pass or have yet to depending on one's view. Again, this is not a timeline of his predictions; it's an alternate history that attempts to move the world in the direction he had desired or spoke of being likely. In moving the world in such a direction we seek to see what effects this direction has on the world be it good or ill. What is our present like in this alternate history?
Note: The odds of you existing are 1 in 10 to the 2,685,000 power, and Eugenics as utilized in this timeline (sterilizations for example) only makes that factor smaller. It's expected that it will eventually get to the point that no one alive in OTL's present exists in the World of Nikola Tesla. Additional factors in someone existing come in the form of U-Boat loses by Germany during the Great War which leads to more fatalities and thus a number of people who would have been sired by such naval men after the war not existing or growing up without a father thus altering their lives as we know them in OTL or completely wiping them from existing in this timeline. The Entente being more well supplied may have also lead to additional losses being experienced by the Central Powers in other theaters of the war and Radar may have contributed to additional naval loses by the Central Powers.
Points of Divergence
The world doesn't start to deviate historically until the time of Nikola Tesla, as in the deviations start during his life time. History before Nikola Tesla is not to be altered. The Nikola Tesla of this timeline experiences the same life as OTL's before moving to the US in 1884, at which point he'll have the education, work experience, etc, that makes him the Tesla we know today. Presently the earliest POD is in 1914 where we have Tesla's proposal of using radio waves to locate German U-Boats during the Great War unsuccessfully critiqued by Edison thus leading the US to develop RADAR/SONAR technology earlier then it did in OTL.
Current Objectives based on Below Section
These are set to help collaborators (anyone wanting to contribute) have some direction in regards to contributions.
- Promote AC over DC electrical currents
- Promote Hydro-Electric Power
- Promote the Integration of Woman into higher education, politics, invention
- Promote Eugenics globally
- Promote Remote Control Technology
- Promote Robotics
- Promote Wireless Communication
- Promote Wireless Energy
- Have Peter the II of Yugoslavia in power after WWII.
- Have Secretary of Physical Culture/Hygiene a position in the US Federal Government.
- Perfect Society of the Bee - Tesla believed that Human society would move towards that of the Bee where in individuals are shaped from gestation or even pre-birth to serve a role in a matriarchal society chiefly populated by sterile female drones with the fertile woman having supreme authority. Males having become a marginal part of society with little function save in service to these fertile woman. The 1932 book 'Brave New World' features a society similar to this through dystopian eyes with Fordism as it's main focus. The 1997 film Gattaca while devoid of a caste system does explore liberal eugenics. It's also a film criticized by supporters of such genetic policies; one being James Hughes who provided his own justification based on bioethics for the society in Gattaca.
Tesla's Vision and Hopes for the Future
Information on OTL's Tesla in regards to his hopes, wishes, and predictions regarding the future. You will note that most of these years have not come to pass but in the parameters of this project such isn't of concern.
- 1900 June Century Magazine Interview; "Long ago, I conceived the idea of constructing an automaton which would mechanically represent me, and which would respond as I do myself, but, of course, in a much more primitive manner, to external influences. Such an automation evidently has to have motive powers, organs for locomotion, directive organs, and one or more sensitive organs so adapted as to be excited by external stimuli ... Whether the automation be of flesh and bone or of wood and steel, it matters little, provided it can perform all the duties required of it like an intelligent being."
- 1908, Wireless Telegraphy and Telephony 'The Future of the Wireless Art'; "As soon as it is completed, it will be possible for a businessman in New York to dictate instructions, and have them instantly appear in type at his office in London or elsewhere. He will be able to call up, from his desk, and talk to any telephone subscriber on the globe, without any change whatever in the existing equipment. An inexpensive instrument, not bigger than a watch, will enable its bearer to hear anywhere, on sea or land, music or song, the speech of a political leader, the address of an eminent man of science, or the sermon of an eloquent clergyman delivered in some other place, however distant. In the same manner any picture, character, drawing, or print can be transferred from one to another place. Millions of such instruments can be operated from but one plant of this kind. More important than all of this, however, will be the transmission of power, without wires, which will be shown on a scale larger enough to carry conviction."
- 1926 30 January, Colliers interview by John B. Kennedy; "This struggle of the human female toward sex equality will end in a new sex order, with the female as superior. The modern woman, who anticipates in merely superficial phenomena the advancement of her sex, is but a surface symptom of something deeper and more potent fermenting in the bosom of the race. It is not in the shallow physical imitation of men that women will assert first their equality and later their superiority, but in the awakening of the intellect of women. Through countless generations, from the very beginning, the social subservience of women resulted naturally in the partial atrophy or at least the hereditary suspension of mental qualities which we now know the female sex to be endowed with no less than men. But the female mind has demonstrated a capacity for all the mental acquirement and achievements of men, and as generations ensue that capacity will be expanded; the average woman will be as well educated as the average man, and then better educated, for the dormant faculties of her brain will be stimulated to an activity that will be all the more intense and powerful because of centuries of repose. Woman will ignore precedent and startle civilization with their progress. The acquisition of new fields of endeavor by women, their gradual usurpation of leadership, will dull and finally dissipate feminine sensibilities, will choke the maternal instinct, so that marriage and motherhood may become abhorrent and human civilization draw closer and closer to the perfect civilization of the bee."
- 1935 9 February, Liberty Magazine Interview conducted by George Sylvester Viereck; "The year 2100 will see eugenics universally established. In past ages, the law governing the survival of the fittest roughly weeded out the less desirable strains. Then man’s new sense of pity began to interfere with the ruthless workings of nature. As a result, we continue to keep alive and to breed the unfit. The only method compatible with our notions of civilization and the race is to prevent the breeding of the unfit by sterilization and the deliberate guidance of the mating instinct. Several European countries and a number of states of the American Union sterilize the criminal and the insane. This is not sufficient. The trend of opinion among eugenists is that we must make marriage more difficult. Certainly no one who is not a desirable parent should be permitted to produce progeny. A century from now it will no more occur to a normal person to mate with a person eugenically unfit than to marry a habitual criminal."
- From the same interview; "Hygiene, physical culture will be recognized branches of Education and government. The Secretary of Hygiene or Physical Culture will be far more important in the cabinet of the President of the United States who holds office in the year 2035 than the Secretary of War. The pollution of our beaches such as exists today around New York City will seem as unthinkable to our children and grandchildren as life without plumbing seems to us. Our water supply will be far more carefully supervised, and only a lunatic will drink sterilized water."
- From the same interview, "Today the most civilized countries of the world spend a maximum of their income on war and a minimum on education. The 21st century will reverse this order. It will be more glorious to fight against ignorance than to die on the field of battle. The discovery of a new scientific truth will be more important than the squabbles of diplomats. Even the newspapers of our own day are beginning to treat scientific discoveries and the creation of fresh philosophical concepts as news. The newspaper of the 21st century will give a mere 'stick' in the back pages to accounts of crime or political controversies, but will headline on the front pages the proclamations of a new scientific hypothesis."
- part of interview on food WIP
- part of interview on reforestation and resource management WIP
- From the same interview - its conclusion, "WIP - I actually constructed 'robots'. Today the robot is an accepted fact, but the principle has not been pushed far enough. In the 21st century the robot will take the place which slave labour occupied in ancient civilization. There is no reason at all why most of this should not come to pass in less than a century, freeing mankind to pursue its higher aspirations."
- 1942: Tesla met with the King of Yugoslavia, King Peter II. Of this meeting the King wrote; I visited Dr Nikola Tesla, the world-famous Yugoslav-American scientist, in his apartment in the Hotel New Yorker. After I had greeted him the aged scientist said: 'It is my greatest honour. I am glad you are in your youth, and I am content that you will be a great ruler. I believe I will live until you come back to free Yugoslavia.' From your father you have received his last worlds: "Guard Yugoslavia." I am proud to be a Serbian and a Yugoslav. Our people cannot perish. Preserve the unity of all Yugoslavs - the Serbs, the Croats and the Slovenes.
- FBI's Files on Nikola Tesla 1940 - 57 - Compiled after his death with keen interest in technology, part one mentions the RC Torpedoes. Latter articles detail some 'new age' cult's interest in Nikola Tesla, and the cult's claim that Tesla was a Venusian brought to Earth in 1856 as a baby to leap mankind's technological level by several decades. Most of part three has to do with this cult though the article's keen interest remains engineering related as the cult possesses a lot of Tesla's writings and personal letters with examination into his 'flying machine'; the cult hopes to build a flying saucer and contact the Venusians in person to bring about a 'New Age' on Earth; which is how investigation into the cult's activities and Tesla's file became intertwined as he's a key figure in the cult's teachings..